Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

May 2011

If anyone had ever said to Brian that he would be in a committed relationship by the time he hit forty and that he wouldn’t even complain about it, he would have had a good laugh and told whoever was crazy enough to make that assumption to fuck off. The idea of a home was a ludicrous notion for most of his life, mainly because of his upbringing in a loveless one, where he witnessed two people supposedly committed to each other letting resentment and lost illusions destroy any joy in their marriage. No wonder Brian grew up thinking that exchanging vows was a sham.

However, life found an unsubtle way of showing him that whatever bullshit he fervently believed in was just that, bullshit. It was easy to defend a point when nothing disturbed his daily life and karma let him be. Claiming to be a heartless bastard who only thought about himself - some people would debate it was mostly about his dick - could only take him so far. One encounter in Stockwell’s office had been all it had taken to change the game.

He was in hell for many years, and now that it’s over, he realizes he’s never been this happy, although he is half-surprised to be. He never thought he would accept and embrace everything that came with that.

“What are you thinking about?” Justin mumbles against his chest and starts peppering him with kisses.

Brian moves his head up, raising one eyebrow as he realizes Justin is awake. They are in the middle of a fuckfest, and Brian is already anticipating round three, though he pretty much passed out twenty minutes ago after Justin rode him to orgasm.

“I’m thinking about sex,” Brian responds impishly, caressing the blond’s hair until Justin stops his ministrations and lies next to him.

“Shocking.”

Brian’s lips turn upward. He props himself on his elbow and gazes down at his partner. “You’re one of the best fucks I’ve ever had, you know.”

Justin bursts out laughing before pushing Brian onto his back and climbing onto him. “Fuck you!”

Brian chuckles at Justin’s outraged expression and lets the blond pin his hands to the bed. He rolls his lips into his mouth, teasing, “What? It’s a huge compliment coming from me.”

“Yeah?” Justin breathes out and leans in, until his lips are almost touching Brian’s.

Brian tries to cover Justin’s mouth, but the blond leans back. Tongue in cheek, he responds huskily, “Yeah…”

He and Justin are in a very good place. After the trial, they resumed their lives in the Pitts, only to discover that while they wanted to be close to their family - especially Gus for Brian - they also wanted other things. It has been eighteen months since they returned, and Justin is starting to gain a reputation as a graphic animator but is nowhere near famous yet, while Brian has tried to make a living as a photographer in a city filled with competition. Most of the time, he feels more like a curiosity than anything else - pictures of him and Malone being splashed all over the news. He should be grateful that he can work in the first place, but photographing men in underwear or models in swimsuits produces little satisfaction, except for giving him boners.

Speaking of which, he can feel one rising up at this very moment. “So, I was thinking…” he breathes out when Justin releases his grip on his wrists and lets his fingers roam down Brian’s arms, leaning down to graze the skin of the brunet’s neck with his lips. Brian’s voice is a little raspy as he resumes, “...of celebrating my fortieth birthday.”

Justin’s lips suddenly still, which makes Brian inwardly laugh. He purses his lips to suppress the smile threatening to spread across his face as the blond raises his head to stare at him quizzically.

“That…” Justin trails off, obviously trying to come up with a rational reply, though he fails to find one.

“Come on Sunshine, it will be fun,” Brian enthuses, more because he loves fucking with Justin than for any other reason. “I will have a free pass to fuck up for a couple of years after I send our lovely friends their invitations. If that wasn’t enough a reason to convince me, the look on Debbie’s face would be.” He frowns, adding as an afterthought, “Damn, I need to deliver that one in person.”

“They will all think you’ve lost your mind.” Justin verifies, his lips turning upward. “What kind of celebration do you have in mind?”

Brian pushes his crotch against Justin, making him roll his eyes.

“Apart from a sex marathon.”

“Well,” Brian entwines his fingers with Justin’s and steals a brief kiss from his lips. “Since you’re opening that gallery with Connor and Gabe to show off…”

“I’m not showing off,” Justin immediately denies. “Connor practically begged me to take the position.”

Brian raises his eyebrows at that and, of course, Justin pretends to be offended that his partner would doubt his sincerity.

Justin’s voice is way too high as he protests, “He’s been stalking me day in and day out!”

“Yeah. I’m sure that’s the only reason you said yes,” Brian counters with a smirk, amused by his partner’s antics. “Good thing Gabriel will be there to help, or I would have lost you to Long Island.”

“No way,” Justin objects. “I’d never have agreed to go if it meant moving out there and leaving you here.”

Brian knows that Justin is speaking the truth. He also knows that they won’t move out of Pittsburgh in the foreseeable future, at least not permanently. Gus couldn’t handle his father leaving him again. Furthermore, being close to his friends while he moves on and puts the past behind him is important for him. As important as having Justin in his life.

He could let him go now that they’re safe, theoretically anyway. Every time he thinks about the blond leaving him - when he’s had too much to drink and has nothing better to do with his time than mull over things he’d prefer never to contemplate, he pours and downs another glass, until his mind is filled with even crazier notions.

Like the possibility of barebacking since he hasn’t fucked around for two years, and hasn’t been with anyone but Justin for almost as long.

Or that weird constriction in his chest anytime Justin tells him I love you. That’s pretty much what he feels right now, so he gives his partner a soft smile when the blond claims he will never leave him, yet covers his inner display of sentimentality with a sarcastic, “And now we have to divide our time between Pittsburgh and Long Island.”

“Oh, come on.” Justin doesn’t buy Brian’s faked annoyance for a moment. “I know Gabriel offered you the opportunity to be a teacher there.”

That again is true. When Gabriel moved to Long Island after Connor had finally stopped acting like a martyr, he pretty much had to go door to door to find a suitable job. Gallery managers’ positions weren’t exactly common in the classifieds, but he was offered a position as art teacher at a nearby school for teenagers with special needs. Connor pushed him to accept, volunteering to assist him since he had nothing better to do with his time, claiming that the blond would be phenomenal at the job with him by his side.

Even though Gabriel feared he and Connor would end up killing each other, he convinced the dean to accept his proposal to bring the brunet aboard.

Four months after having accepted the position, he realized two things. Firstly, he hated not being his own boss. For all his easiness in interacting with people and his good nature, he wasn’t that good at following a program, especially when said program was related to one of his passions, and was sometimes too rigid to help teenagers who were having a hard enough time living within the world. Secondly, he liked to teach, but amazingly, he wasn’t the one who succeeded in connecting with the most reluctant and closed-off students. Gabriel was sometimes at a loss as to how to behave around people who acted up, but Connor always found a way to communicate which, while astonishing, was also not all that surprising. Connor had always been scared of the world, convinced he didn’t fit, and could therefore relate to the kids better than anyone else.

Gabriel understood quickly what he wanted for the future. He worked his ass off, running and fighting with banks and the local bureaucracy, his perseverance allowing him to put his plan in motion.

He will officially launch the Renaissance Gallery in a week. The place will offer various exhibits and provide art therapy, which means that Brian, Justin, and Connor will help out.

A couple of months ago, during a visit to Pittsburgh, Gabriel asked Justin to manage the gallery with him - part-time, knowing Justin needs time to work on his commissions as a graphic animator. He also suggested showing his paintings, paintings he saw at Justin’s new studio. Justin hesitated, but Connor told him that he would be a fool to pass up on an opportunity to spend time with him, and that he should definitely display them since his paintings were worth more than half the crap exhibited throughout America. Though when Justin asked about the other half, Connor smirked, responding that having room for improvement was a good thing.

Brian accepted Gabriel’s proposal to lead an art therapy class in photography and will spend about five months a year on Long Island with Justin. They will spend the rest of the year in Pittsburgh, Justin helping to manage the gallery from a distance with Gabriel onsite.

Before accepting the position, though, Brian asked Gus for his blessing, offering to take him to Long Island for a month every summer, and promising to come back to the Pitts at least twice a month whenever he was working on Long Island. His son agreed.

That’s why they need to be up at five tomorrow morning, ready to take off. The opening - which is coincidentally happening on Brian’s fortieth birthday - is scheduled for the following week, and they plan to stay for the next couple of months, with Gus joining them at the beginning of July. Brian can barely suppress his glee at the prospect of working with Connor - his friend heading the art therapy department. Brian is still quite puzzled that the former artist thinks he is a great candidate to teach troubled kids.

“I’m sure Gabe offered me a job so I’ll keep an eye on Connor,” he eventually muses out loud, partly because it’s true and partly because he can’t wrap his head around the fact that Connor is the one who suggested that Brian assist him. Why on earth Connor thinks they won’t kill each other, he has no idea, though Gabriel was strangely happy to agree to the request. “You’d think that after having spent days and nights together for months, he would have calmed down a bit and let the man breathe for five seconds.”

“Well, if I were in Gabriel’s shoes, I’d never leave Connor’s side again either,” Justin observes.

Brian snorts. Justin and Gabriel are much alike in many ways.

“And you’re selling yourself short.” Justin continues, caressing Brian’s hair. “Gabriel wants you because you’re one hell of a photographer, and passing your expertise on to those kids will be good for the gallery.”

Brian chuckles at Justin’s explanation, especially because it sounds a lot dirtier than it is. Fuck, he is horny. “And he is my friend. Which means he has that perfectly fucked-up notion that he owes me something,” he quips. His lips turn upward as he playfully leans forward to nip at Justin’s skin. “Luckily for him, as you pointed out... I’m one hell of a photographer, which will undoubtedly help me with my students since I’m well known for... my fabulous social skills.”

“Yeah…” It’s unclear if Justin ignores Brian’s sarcastic tone on purpose or not. His focus is not the best because Brian has started to lick his skin and caress his ass.

“About my birthday,” Brian whispers in his ear, before kissing his neck, his jaw, and his cheek, moving his body more firmly against the blond’s. “What about flying everyone in for the opening next week?”

“I’m…” Justin stammers, because Brian’s adding pressure to their already firm cocks by pushing their hips together. “Yeah?” he responds absentmindedly.

“Now,” Brian caresses Justin’s side until his hand finds the blond’s cock, “let’s focus on more pleasurable activities.”

Justin mumbles his agreement as the brunet gives him a squeeze, before claiming his lips.

***

One week later, Long Island

“You’re ready?” Brian inquires, standing on the other side of Gabriel’s desk, the blond looking like he has never been this nervous in his life.

“I want to throw up,” Gabriel answers, confirming his impression.

“Chill out, man,” Connor intones as he strides into the office through the door leading to the main room and walks toward his partner. Not bothering to acknowledge Brian, he plants himself in front of Gabriel, grabs his neck and forces their lips together. By the time they come up for air, Gabriel’s face is a little flushed.

“What was that for?” he questions with that soft voice Brian recognizes as stemming from a temporary brain failure. He should know; Justin uses it often enough.

“To take the pressure off,” Connor volunteers, suppressing a smirk.

“Don’t release the pressure just yet,” Brian quips, not keen on witnessing his friends going at it with each other. He heads for the door and warns, “Be quick. We open the front door in ten.”

The look on Gabriel’s face is priceless. “I’m not gonna…” he attempts to say, but Connor shuts him off with another kiss, and Brian finds it wise to escape while he can.

“Ten minutes!” he shouts as he closes the door with a small laugh, scanning the room to make sure no one is paying attention. As he does, he notices Justin talking to Michael, the brunet having come the day before to help them with the final preparations. He strolls over to them, noticing the quizzical look on Justin’s face as he stares toward Gabriel’s office.

“Yep. They’re fucking,” Brian confirms Justin’s assumption as he wraps his arms around the blond’s shoulders.

Michael giggles. “Gabriel looked like he was going to faint when we changed in his office earlier.”

“And Connor is on a mission to make him relax before the grand opening,” Justin snorts. At Brian’s stare, he clarifies, “I think it’s a good idea.”

Brian pretends to think it through. “I’m really stressed too.”

“Nice try,” Michael grins at Brian’s repartee. “But there is no time for you two to sneak out now. Everybody is going to be there in about two minutes.”

“Too bad.” Brian shrugs nonchalantly. He doesn’t want to show how important this is for him that everybody agreed to come. Though by the looks of it, Michael isn’t fooled. Neither is Justin. “What?” he barks at them when they give him synchronized grins as if they’re conspiring against him or something.

“You’re forty,” Michael declares smugly.

“And…?” Brian raises an eyebrow, silently daring his friend to elaborate. When Michael doesn’t add anything, he drawls, “At  least this time, I won’t end up in a coffin.” and gives the brunet a false smile of his own.

Justin chuckles, gazing at Michael as he remembers Brian’s reaction at his thirtieth birthday party. It seems like a lifetime ago. “That was creepy,”

“Yeah, well…” Michael seems embarrassed enough. “We were young and… God, it really was a bad joke.”

“And now, I’m celebrating turning old. I’ve aged well, don’t you think?” Brian quips, placing a hand on Michael’s shoulder. “Come on, Mikey. I need you to greet our guests.”

“I’m not even working for the gallery,” Michael protests, though the small grin on his  lips gives him away.

“No, but you love me,” Brian drawls in the brunet’s ear, “and it’s my birthday.”

Michael raises his hand to squeeze Brian’s arm, murmuring, “Yeah... I love you,”

As he pronounces the words, Gus appears outside, running up to the glassed entrance, closely followed by Lindsay, Carl, Debbie, Melanie, Ted, Blake, and Emmett. They halt at the doors, chatting or laughing, and it’s kind of surreal for Brian to see them all standing together on the sidewalk, acting so ebullient. Ted and Mel smile at each other, talking like two old friends. Debbie is giving them a fond look while Carl holds her hand, Lindsay straightening Gus’s shirt next to them, the boy impatiently pushing her hand away from him. Meanwhile, Blake and Emmett are looking around while chatting away, probably checking out the neighborhood. Blake says something that makes Emmett burst out laughing, his face lightening as if he is having the best time ever, just as Hunter and Ben join them.

Brian gazes over at them, rolling his lips into his mouth. It hits him hard sometimes, to see what he lost and then found again, to realize how much these people mean to him. He usually doesn’t even pretend to hate the sentimentality that comes with being part of their world anymore, but if he occasionally does, it’s more for old time’s sake than for anything else. He knows he doesn’t fool anyone, and he’s fine with it.

Debbie smiles broadly when their eyes met, as she pushes past everyone and tries to open the gallery’s front door. Realizing it’s locked, she directs her gaze at Brian with a raised eyebrow, gesturing with her hand at the handle and silently questioning what Michael, Justin, and Brian are waiting for.

Amused, Brian pushes Michael away and toward the door, but he doesn’t move. He grabs Justin’s hand and pulls him close instead.

Justin giggles when Brian kisses him playfully, hearing enthusiastic voices immediately fill the space around them as Michael unlocks the door and lets everybody in.

“Stop it!” Debbie is, of course, the first to interrupt them.

Just like the good old days.

THE END






Chapter End Notes:

I want to thank my amazing beta Karynn, for her kindness, her support and love... She’s made me pull my hair off quite often LOL but that’s the sign of a great beta. And the plot wouldn’t have been the same without her help, so it’s her story, too :)

To every reader and particularly Sandi, Laura, Laura, Marie-France, Marilynne, Jennifer, Trish, Susie, Phyllis, Kim, Kim, Sherry, Gloria, Cricri, Lisa, Saje, and everyone else who has supported me for the past year, thank you so much. I couldn’t have finished this without you guys <3

 

And thank you for reading :D <3