Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin and Brian return home from their honeymoon to deal with the shock their family has been hiding from them.


Regarding Craig being married and having a baby. I mentioned it before, but it was only briefly. When they all went to the courthouse about Molly, they mentioned that Laurie was there, and she had the baby. And Brian made a comment that she looked like Justin.

 

"My ear feels weird," Justin complained as they landed in L.A. When they left Australia, their flight had taken them to Hawaii. They stayed there for 12 hours to catch some sleep before traveling again. Brian had purposely planned their trips like that. Not having to travel for two days straight from Italy to Australia, and being able to sleep in Greece and in China, made Justin a lot less grumpy. He knew what Justin would be like, sitting in nothing but planes and airports for that amount of time. He would be miserable, and then have to sleep as soon as they got to Australia, and it would take him a day or two to recuperate. Even flying home would do that to him, so he opted for the 12-hour layover in Hawaii.

 

But their hotel was on the beach, and Justin saw the water and went running into it, dragging Brian with him. There were some cliffs that they went jumping from. Justin loved it. They went back to the hotel and fell asleep, and Justin forgot one thing. Every time he went swimming, in the ocean or the pool, he put those drops in his ears to help get rid of the water in his ears. He forgot that night, and didn't say anything to Brian when they got on the plane. It wasn't until they landed that he started complaining.

 

He didn't make a big deal about it. Justin chalked it up to flying so much. He was just tired. It wasn't until after a three-hour layover and their flight back to West Virginia that Justin really started complaining. "Oh, my God; my fucking ear hurts so bad," Justin complained. Brian could tell he was in plenty of pain. He was starting to sweat a little. Brian grabbed his own bag and pulled it down. He kept a few things in there for Justin for emergencies. Like Vicodin. It made Justin terribly sleepy. He'd fall asleep on this plane, and he knew it would be hard to wake him up. But this was an easy fix, and his go-to painkiller until they got home and could go to the doctor.

 

"Here, take this," Brian told him. Sure enough, twenty minutes later Justin was out like a light. As soon as they landed, he texted Sawyer.

 

Sawyer looked down at his phone. "They're back," Sawyer said as he stared down at his phone. You could hear a pin drop in the kitchen.

 

"It's nearly midnight. Are we just going to tell them as soon as they walk in the door?" Teresa asked. Jennifer shook her head.

 

"Let Justin have one night of peace in his house," Jen said. Sawyer looked down at his phone.

 

"Looks like you won't be able to tell him even if you wanted to. Brian gave Justin some Vicodin for his earache on the plane. He's passed out. He's waiting for everyone to get off the plane before he wakes him up and gets out, too," Sawyer said.

 

"Poor kid," Teresa said, sipping her hot chocolate.

 

"Maybe it's better. Then he won't get mad at me for not telling him as soon as he walks in the door. Now I have an excuse," Jennifer said. Sawyer drove Lindsay and Melanie's van to the airport. Having been the one to bring home the suitcases they sent home from each leg of the trip, he knew that they'd have more from Australia. He even attached the luggage compartment to the top of the van.

 

Brian had waited patiently for everyone to exit the plane before he woke Justin up, and helped him off the plane. "Is he alright?" the flight attendant asked.

 

"He's fine. Vicodin knocks him out cold. Come on, Sunshine," Brian said as he dragged Justin to Baggage Claim. Everyone looked at them oddly, as Brian was practically holding Justin up. He sat him down in a chair, and waited until their luggage started coming out to go over and start pulling their suitcases off the belt. He spotted Sawyer pulling up against the curb, and started wheeling some of the suitcases outside.

 

"Hey, there, World Traveler! It's good to have you home," Sawyer said, patting him on the back and pulling a suitcase over to the van to start loading them up.

 

"Thanks for picking us up," Brian said as he rubbed his face.

 

"Where's your husband?" Sawyer asked. He turned and pointed through the window. The chairs were lined up against the glass, and you could just make out the top of Justin's head. Sawyer chuckled. "Get him in the car and sit down. I'll get all your shit out here and packed," Sawyer told him as they started walking back into the airport.

 

"Not my shit. It's his shit. He went freaken shopping at every tourist stand he ever saw," Brian grumbled, making Sawyer laugh. Brian started pulling Justin up.

 

"Yeah, right. I saw all the Prada packages. Too bad you didn't have those painkillers that you got when he hurt his hand," Sawyer said, referring to when he had punched out Kip and was high as a kite all night.

 

"I'd rather he be in pain, than have to suffer on a plane with him like that," Brian said. They got all packed up, and Brian dragged Justin through the house, and slowly up the stairs. It was weird to be back home. He hadn't realized he missed this grand house. It was eerily quiet. Way too quiet. Like people were in the house, and they were trying to be quiet. He looked around and didn't see anyone as he helped Justin up the stairs. He could have sworn he heard a baby crying, but shook his head. It was finally hitting him how tired he was.

 

Teresa and Jennifer came out of the living room and stood with Sawyer as they watched them both go up the stairs and into their bedroom, and didn't dare speak till they heard the door shut. "He's out like a light. There's no talking to him," Sawyer said.

 

"Did Brian suspect anything?" Teresa asked. Sawyer shook his head.

 

"He was too tired. He dozed off on the way home," Sawyer said.

 

"Sending Sawyer was perfect," Jennifer said. Teresa nodded.

 

"He's the only one that can keep his cool," Sam said as she walked in from the kitchen with Josh behind her. Brian and Justin had a house full of people, and didn't even realize it. They collapsed in bed and instantly fell asleep. That was at 1 am. By 3am, Brian was woken up by Justin freaking out.

 

"What's wrong?" Brian asked groggily.

 

"Oh, fuck! It hurts so bad," Justin said, holding his head. Brian turned the lamp on and looked at Justin's ear. It was totally red. Brian shook his head to wake up and stood up.

 

"Come on. I'll take you to the emergency room," Brian said. As they walked down the stairs, Brian got that weird feeling again, that the house was trying to be quiet. His suspicions were confirmed when he pulled out of the garage, and saw the cars in his driveway. So, people were sleeping in his house. His mother's pink SUV was even there. Why would she be sleeping over? And it looked like Jennifer's car was there. This was odd, but he didn't have time to deal with it.

 

He drove to the E.R., and they were seen right away, due to Justin's screaming in pain. He had contracted Swimmer's Ear, and getting on a plane had popped his ear drum; or ruptured it as the doctor said. Pain meds, and anti-biotics, and putting specific ear drops in his ear after every shower would heal it. No swimming under water till it was healed. They gave Justin the good pain meds. The one's that didn't make him drunk, and the kind that didn't make him a zombie.

 

It was around five in the morning when they came back, and they walked slowly up the stairs. Justin never noticed the cars in the driveway, or the fact that a few lights were on. Justin also didn't notice that there were people in the living room. "I just want one normal day at home," Justin said drowsily as Brian walked upstairs with him, and as soon as Justin lay down, he fell back to sleep. Brian left the room and walked down the stairs and straight into the living room, startling Sawyer, Teresa, Jennifer, Tucker, Debbie, Lindsay, Sam, Josh, Daphne, Ted, and Emmett.

 

"What the fuck are you all doing here? Creeping around the house?" Brian asked.

 

"We were worried when you left suddenly," Lindsay said.

 

"Justin ruptured his ear drum. I took him to the emergency room. So, what are you all doing here?" Brian asked. Jennifer looked down and let a small sob out and covered her mouth. Tucker wrapped his arm around her. "What happened?" Brian asked, worried. Sawyer cleared his throat.

 

"Jennifer dropped Molly off at Craig's house. For his supervised visitation. His wife Laurie was gonna be there that day to supervise. But when Jennifer and Tucker went over to get her a few hours later...," Sawyer said and gulped, looking at Jennifer.

 

"Just tell me what happened?" Brian demanded. Sawyer took a deep breath.

 

"Craig and Molly were gone. Lilly was screaming in her crib...and Laurie was dead...Craig killed her," Sawyer blurted out. Jennifer started crying again, and Brian just stood there. In shock. He didn't even know what to say.

 

"When did this happen?" Brian asked.

 

"Five days ago," Daphne said, wiping at her face.

 

"Why am I just now hearing about this?" Brian demanded. He was angry he didn't know. Jennifer looked over at him.

 

"Because I wouldn't let anyone tell you. I wanted Justin to have one moment of peace before he came back to all this mess. So, if you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at me," Jennifer said.

 

"Jennifer, he's not going to be mad at anyone. We all agreed with you," Lindsay told her.

 

"Oh, not everyone," Sam mumbled, making Josh pinch her elbow as Sawyer glared at her.

 

"Where's Gus?" Brian asked Lindsay.

 

"He's here. He's upstairs in his room sleeping. We thought it would be best to stay here...we don't know where Craig went, or what he'll do," Lindsay said uncomfortably. He nodded his head. His son was safe.

 

"Well, what's being done to find them?" Brian asked.

 

"They've set up an Amber Alert for her. They're watching all his family and friends. Places he might go," Sawyer said. He turned to Ted.

 

"I don't care how much money I have to dish out. I want security all over the place. I don't want him going near any of my family. That fucking psycho will do anything to hurt Justin," Brian told him. Teresa looked up and smiled softly at him. Sawyer put his hand on her knee.

 

"We've already done that. We don't think he even knows how big your family is...," Ted tried to say.

 

"All he has to do is look at Justin's Facebook. See all those pictures you guys posted and tagged him in. All the comments they made about Justin being their cousin now. Or their nephew," he said, looking quickly at Sam. "Or their son-in-law. He murdered his own wife, and left his baby alone. He's capable of anything. So, call whomever you need to get security to watch over them," Brian said.

 

"Really, Brian. We've already done all that," Ted said. Brian nodded his head.

 

"Then, what do we now? There must be some clues as to where they are. What they took with them. Like his car," Brian asked.

 

"He went to the bank an hour before Jennifer and Tucker got to the house, and withdrew 25,000 dollars. Then, the next day some kid was trying to cash a check that Craig wrote to him. He sold his white Toyota Corolla to him the day before. They've been looking for the car...but it's a white Toyota. There are millions of those on the road. It's like he's just disappeared," Sawyer said. Brian scrubbed his face.

 

"The baby...she's here, isn't she?" Brian asked. His father nodded his head. He knew he heard a baby crying. "Why the fuck is she in this house? What about her mother's family?" Brian asked. Jen cleared her throat.

 

"Laurie's mother and father aren't really doing well. The father has cancer, and the mother is just completely distraught. She's incapable of taking care of her own husband. She can't take care of a baby. And the sister just got married...the husband didn't want the baby to stay with them. Molly and Justin are the only family, besides them, that Lilly has. They gave Social Services permission to let us take care of her. Otherwise, she'd have to be given to the State, and then put in foster care. She's Justin and Molly's little sister. I couldn't just do that to her," Jen cried. Tucker rubbed her back.

 

"It's okay," Tucker told her. Brian pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

"Josh and I and my parents came back from Boston as soon as we heard. They're staying with Teresa's parents...we've have been staying here. And Daphne got here last night. So did Emmett and Ted...we just thought Justin would need us," Sam told him. It was the first time that Brian had heard a shake in her voice, like she was unsure if she should be there or not. He could only imagine what that was about. He rubbed at his face again and it all started clicking together what was up with her. They all looked at each other, like they were having secret conversations. He looked around again. And his own best friend wasn't there.

 

"I don't care if you're here. Even if I said, no, it wouldn't ever stop you," Brian said, a little more harshly then he meant to. "Is all this secret keeping bull shit over? Because I'm a big boy. And you all did a fabulous job trying to keep all these arguments that were going on behind my back. Like Michael making you cry," he said, pointing to Daphne. "And you and Michael fighting at Lindsay's house," Brian pointed to Sam. "Is all that over with now? Because I'm a grownup. I can handle everything that happens, and I don't need you all protecting me from anything. So, would everyone like to come clean with what's been going on?" Brian demanded. Debbie stood up sadly.

 

"I think I'm going to try and get some sleep on the couch up in the attic," Debbie said, not wanting to hear this. Jennifer and Tucker stood up.

 

"I'm going to try and get some sleep before Justin wakes up," Jennifer said. She walked over to Brian and turned to him. "I know that Michael is your best friend. But he somehow managed to turn this whole situation into about his and your friendship. Please, Brian. Please just keep him away from here for a while," Jen asked, then turned and left. Brian stared at them.

 

"Alright, then. Out with it. I want to hear the whole fucking thing," Brian said. They all slowly turned to look at Sam.

 

"What the hell are you all looking at me for? You all want me to tell him?" Sam asked. No one said a word and she rolled her eyes. "Listen. I didn't know him before you met us. I know you guys were super close. You were brothers. But he is the most insanely jealous person I have ever met. And he has personally attacked most of the people in this room," Sam said, glancing at Sawyer and Teresa. Teresa just wiped at her face. "And your parents are too nice to say anything. They want to spare your feelings. But Michael has said on many occasions that none of us belong in your life. For many reasons in his eyes. The fact that we're straight being my favorite. But because they gave you up is his number one insult to hurl out at them," she said.

 

Brian took a glance at them, and Sawyer squeezed Teresa's knee again. "He's told Melanie that he can basically do whatever he wants in her house, because it's your house since you bought it, which, by the way, none of us knew until he announced that. He's attacked Daphne for...basically being straight and not really being able to be Justin's best friend, but also attacking her because she didn't force Justin to stay away from you. He told Lindsay that he's been more of a father to Gus than Justin and you, and that it's an insult for Gus to call Justin daddy when Michael's been more of a dad than Justin has," Sam said, making Brian ball up his fists.

 

"He's basically turned on Emmett and Ted, calling them traitors, and saying they're not real friends, because they won't go against you and Justin. He's put them in the middle, and these two are freaking out and losing sleep over it," Sam said. Brian looked at his parents. They did look stressed. But when did he start thinking of them as parents? He shook his head.

 

"He didn't care that Molly was kidnapped. He wanted us to call you the second we all found out, because he didn't want Craig to hurt you. He yelled and insulted Teresa in this very room, and she's too nice to have kicked him in the balls, which he deserved. He went ape shit when he tried to call you, and you had everyone's numbers blocked while you were away. We had to call Carl to get a few cops to drag him out of here. But, of course, he made an absolute scene attacking everyone in the room before he got hauled out of here. He even attacked Debbie," Sam said. Brian scrubbed at his face.

 

"We're sorry," Sawyer said.

 

"Why are you sorry? Michael's the one who did this to himself. We all warned him. I told him Brian would find out all the nasty things he's said. Brian doesn't even know half of the bullshit he's been spouting off. I just sugar coated the whole damn thing," Sam said. Sawyer glared at her. "Don't look at me like that. He asked. Brian wants to know what happened, and I told him I'd tell him as soon as he got back home. I'm only giving him enough to make him understand," Sam snapped at her older brother.

 

"Dial it back," Josh told her softly. Sam slowly sat back against the couch.

 

"He's been losing it for a while, Brian...and the whole thing with Molly..." Ted trailed off, not knowing what to say.

 

"We all just wanted to be here for Jennifer. And for Justin. We supported Jennifer's decision in not wanting to call you guys...but it just infuriated Michael, and he just started lashing out at everyone...he's just jealous that he's not the most important person in your life anymore. And he's trying to tear down anyone who he thinks stands in his way," Lindsay said. Sam huffed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

 

"He's putting me and Emmett in the middle of everything," Ted said.

 

"It's just...not right. I have enough room to have you all as my friends...but he's made it so difficult. He's just not the same person," Emmett said sadly, and wiped at his face.

 

"Well, no offense, but it's no great loss to me. I've seen what an ass Michael was to Justin from the very beginning. And Justin was too nice to say anything. He's been cruel to Justin since the day you all met him," Daphne said.

 

"Here, here," Sam said.

 

"Knock it off," Sawyer told her.

 

"Do you even realize what we've done? The whole reason why we're all sitting here is because Craig kidnapped Molly. We have no idea where they are, and we've turned this around to be about Michael," Josh said.

 

"It's exactly what he wanted us to do," Sam said in a monotone. Brian looked over at Teresa.

 

"Why haven't you chimed in?" Brian asked her. Teresa looked up at him, but didn't say anything. "Don't you have anything to add?" he asked. She stood up and wiped at her face.

 

"No." Teresa whispered and shook her head. "I think I'm going to go try and get some sleep," she said, turning around and leaving the room. Her doing that, and the look on her face...it pissed Brian off. He could tell she was upset. Beyond upset. He had a feeling that he didn't understand. He wasn't pissed at her. He wasn't pissed that she was upset. He was pissed because someone that he knew had done that to her. He was angry because someone had hurt her, and it was a feeling that confused him. He never cared about Joan like this, and never experienced this feeling before. So he didn't know how to handle it. He didn't know what to do with it.

 

"When are you gonna tell Justin?" Daphne asked, interrupting his thoughts. He shook his head and turned back to her.

 

"I'm gonna let him sleep. He's exhausted...I'll tell him when he wakes up," Brian said. He walked out of the room and up the stairs, without saying anything else. He walked into their bedroom, and Justin was still fast asleep. How was he supposed to say this? Good morning, Sunshine, let me put some ear drops in for you. Your father killed his second wife and kidnapped your sister. Your other sister - who you've only seen but never met - is staying with your mother, who's staying here. And all the suitcases are downstairs ready to be unpacked. Want some breakfast? He let out a sarcastic chuckle. Yeah. The honeymoon was definitely fucking over.


Justin had slept till later in the afternoon. He really had been exhausted. The only thing to really wake him was the pain in his ear. Brian had placed a bottle of water and his medication next to him on his nightstand, so Justin had taken them as soon as he had awakened, and then he just lay there in bed. "This wasn't how I wanted to come home," Justin said through a yawn.

 

"What do you mean?" Brian asked him.

 

"Well, I wanted to come home and pass out from exhaustion from traveling. Then, when I woke up, I wanted to unpack all our suitcases. I wanted to put out all the things we bought on our trips. I wanted to wrap all the things we got for everyone. Then I wanted to sit down, and look at all the pictures and videos from the wedding and the honeymoon. I did not want to be lying in bed with a fucking ruptured eardrum. It fucking hurts," Justin said. Brian was sitting up against the headboard, just looking at his hands. He took a deep breath.

 

"I'm sorry. That sucks," Brian said. Justin looked over at him and turned his body.

 

"What's wrong?" Justin asked. Brian looked over at him. "What happened?" Justin asked.

 

"I have something I have to tell you...and it's pretty bad," Brian said. Justin sat up.

 

"What?" Justin asked, worried. Brian took a deep breath. The second that he told Justin this, it really was over. The honeymoon. They had traveled around the world for almost two months, and nothing bothered them. Everywhere they went, and everything they did, they had laughed and smiled. It was the first time in Brian's life that he had actually been happy. And now he was about to tell Justin that his sister had been kidnapped. "You're freaking me out here, Brian. Just say it," Justin said, starting to get panicky. He had to just tell him. No beating around the bush. Just rip it off like a band-aid...he just didn't know if Justin could handle that.

 

"Your mom and Tucker went to go pick up Molly from her supervised visit with Craig...and his wife Laurie and the baby stayed there...when they got there, they found the baby screaming...Craig killed his wife," Brian said. His eyes widened, but no sound came out of Justin's body. "They couldn't find Craig anywhere...or Molly," Brian said. Justin was as still as a statue. He was in shock. Brian knew that. It made Brian uncomfortable. He didn't know what to do for him.

 

"When did this happen?" he whispered.

 

"About five or six days ago," Brian said. Justin's eyes narrowed.

 

"And no one called me to tell me my sister has been kidnapped?" Justin demanded. Brian grabbed his shoulders.

 

"You can't get angry at anyone for that one, Justin. Your mother made that decision. She wanted you to have a few days of happiness before you came back to this mess. And they all did exactly what she wanted. They only did what she asked them to do. So don't get mad at her, because she wanted to give you a few days off before you came home to this," Brian told him. Point blank. He knew he was being a little hypocritical. He was angry at them for not calling him, too. He would have wanted to keep it from Justin. But that wouldn't have been right or fair to him. And it would have made the last few days in Australia miserable for him. And Justin would have known that something was wrong.

 

"Where are they? Why hasn't anyone found them?" Justin asked, starting to get hysterical, which Brian knew would happen. He shook his head.

 

"They don't know. He paid a guy for a white Toyota before he took her. But finding that car is impossible."

 

"They're not looking hard enough. Where's my mother? I have to go see her." Justin stood up from the bed, grabbing clothes to yank them on. Brian went over to him.

 

"They're staying here. For safety reasons. As far as we know, Craig doesn't know where we live. But they're all here. Safe and sound," Brian said.

 

"Who's they?" Justin demanded.

 

"Your mom, Tucker...and your baby sister," Brian said. Justin stared at him, confused.

 

"Lilly? I've only seen her once...how can she even stay here? What about Laurie's family?" Justin asked, totally confused.

 

"It's a long story. But you're her next of kin. You and Molly...and your mother offered to take care of her, and Laurie's mom agreed," Brian said. Justin put his hands on his head, almost pulling out his own hair.

 

"I don't get this. I don't understand any of this. How could he take her? Why would he take her away?" Justin asked as he started crying. And this was what Brian knew was going to happen. He pulled Justin to him instantly. He sucked at trying to comfort someone. But he had to. He had to try. He had to more than try; he had to be good at this. "What if he killed her?" Justin cried out. Brian held him tighter. What the hell was he supposed to say to that?

 

"Don't start saying that. We don't know anything. We don't know where they are. For all we know, they could still be in Pittsburgh. Just hiding out. Just don't start saying things like that till we know something more," Brian said. That sounded terrible. Justin just continued to sob into his chest. "It's okay, Justin. Everything's gonna be okay," he said. Well, no, they didn't know that. He was lying to him. Because Justin was right. Molly could be dead right now. He shivered at that thought. Justin and Jennifer would never be the same again. "Why don't I take you downstairs? Your mom is down there...Daphne and Emmett...Sam and Josh came back from New York," Brian told him. He tried to say anything comforting. After a few minutes, Justin pulled away and wiped at his face.

 

"My mom can't see me like this," Justin said.

 

"What?  You think your mom is gonna expect you to be a stone wall and not show any emotion?" Brian asked. Justin just looked at him. "Your mom expects you to cry. It's impossible not to."

 

"Well, I have to try and...and not do this," Justin said, waving his hands around at himself. "I need to be strong for her. I need to take care of her," Justin said. He started moving fast again, grabbing a shirt to wear and yanking it on his head. Brian stopped him before he opened the door and made Justin look at him.

 

"You really are strong...you just forget that you are," Brian said, trying his best to make this good. He had Justin's attention. "You're allowed to cry, and be upset, and be angry...when you need a minute to...freak out. Just come with me up here. You can freak out up here. You don't have to be strong up here," Brian said. Justin's chin quivered and he hugged Brian again. He let out a deep breath. So that was good enough. Comforting Justin was the hardest thing he had to do, because he sucked at comforting people. Justin pulled away again and wiped at his eyes and nodded his head.

 

"Thank you," Justin said. Brian kissed his forehead and opened the door. Justin took a deep breath and slowly walked out. But once he got to the stairs, he sped up and raced down to the main floor. He walked into the kitchen, searching for his mom, with Brian right behind him. Everyone stopped when Justin entered the kitchen, and he went right for his mother, who started sobbing the second he hugged her. Everyone just stood there for a moment, now knowing what to say or do.

 

"Let's give them some privacy," Cynthia said, as they all started leaving the kitchen.

 

"I'm so scared. How could he do this to her? How could he take my baby like this?" Jen cried.

 

"I'm so sorry, Mom," Justin told her. He suddenly realized something...this was all his fault. There was no way around it. If he wasn't gay, and if he hadn't fought so hard with his father, this never would have happened. He never would have tried to get restraining orders against them, and tried to take Molly away. And he wouldn't have killed his wife. He squeezed his eyes tightly shut. Someone was dead because of him.

 

"What if I never see her again? I'll die if I never see her again," Jen cried. He rubbed her back and tried to soothe her. But what could he say? He wondered if he'd ever see his little sister again. If he'd ever see Molly again. What if she was already dead?


 

"She's been so anxious to see Justin," Teresa told Brian as they entered the family room. There was a blanket on the floor, and Gus and Josh were lying on the floor, playing Minecraft on the T.V.

 

"I spent like a week building that skyscraper, and you've torn it down in two seconds. Thank God I don't have to save this! Sam will pee her pants if she sees what you did to her hospital," Josh told him. Lindsay was sitting on the couch with J.R. in her lap, and smiled when she looked up.

 

"Hey, Gussy! Look who's home!" Lindsay said. Gus turned his head, smiled brightly, and threw the controller up in the air, hitting Josh in the head.

 

"DADDY!" Gus yelled and jumped onto the couch and jumped off it, and went flying in the air and landed right into Brian's arms. This was the longest he had ever gone without seeing Gus. He didn't realize how much he had missed his son until he was hugging Gus again.

 

"Hey, there, Sonny Boy," Brian said. He held him tightly as Gus babbled away. He was relieved. Relieved that his son was alright. That he was safe. He couldn't say the same thing for Molly. He went around to the couch and sat down with him, just watching him as he jabbered away. He talked about how much he missed him and Justin while they were away on their honeymoon, and how excited he was to always get a postcard.

 

"We have to send Gus a postcard from here. He was so sad that he didn't get to go with us. He's been spending so much time with us since we all moved back. He'll love a postcard from Vermont. He'll know that we're thinking of him," Justin had said as he wrote on a postcard from the front desk of the bed and breakfast they were staying at.

 

Justin had made sure that Gus got a postcard from them everywhere they went. He got two from Vermont, one from L.A., one from San Francisco. Four from the Bahamas, and he just kept going every few days. He knew Gus loved it, and would love all the presents that Justin had picked out for him. Gus kept talking about the wedding, and how much fun he had had with Sawyer staying across the street.

 

Eventually Justin and Jennifer made their way back in. Lindsay had warned Gus to be calm when Justin came in. Justin was relieved to see Gus, and held him tightly. "I'm sorry about Auntie Molly, Daddy. But she'll be okay. I just know she will," Gus said in his ear. Justin pulled back and smiled.

 

"You're right, Gus. She will be okay," Justin said as he sat down on the couch. He smiled as he watched Gus play with Josh. He called her Auntie Molly. When did that happen?

 

"Molly's been coming over a lot. To spend time with Gus. We've really loved having her. It's nice to have family for Gus," Lindsay said. He smiled at her. He suddenly heard a baby crying. His body stiffened and he felt Brian squeeze his neck and rub his shoulders.

 

"She's been unhappy since we got her," Jennifer told him. The crying got louder, and Daphne walked in holding his little sister.

 

"Is it someone else's turn? I swear, she cries harder with me. She hates me," Daphne said as Teresa walked over and took her. Daphne's eyes softened when she saw Justin. He jumped up and hugged her tightly. "How are you holding up?" she asked him. He just shook his head. "I know. I'm so sorry," she whispered to him.

 

"Josh, what did you do to my house?" Sam asked as she came into the room and gave Josh a drink.

 

"I didn't do it; it was him," Josh said, pointing to Gus, who just laughed. Daphne pulled away so Sam could hug Justin, too, and they all sat down.

 

"I thought it would be more fun to see you guys again after the honeymoon," Justin said sadly. Daphne patted his leg.

 

"Well, we're all very happy to see you," Teresa said as she bounced Lilly on her hip. Justin stared at the baby.

 

"Does she always cry that much?" Justin asked his mother.

 

"Molly never mentioned that she did. I'm sure it's just because she's with so many strangers. She just wants her mom," Jennifer said as she wiped her eyes with a tissue. Sawyer walked in next and patted Justin's shoulder.

 

"It's nice to see you conscious, son," Sawyer said. Justin patted his arm and smiled sadly at him.

 

"Here, you take her. She likes you," Teresa said and handed her to Sawyer. Lilly quieted a little, but not completely.

 

"Have you all just been passing her around?" Justin asked.

 

"Pretty much," Sawyer told her.

 

"She's just unhappy. No one really can calm her," Jennifer said.

 

"And everyone's had a turn. We just all go around," Lindsay said. Justin just watched Sawyer bouncing his little sister.

 

"Hey, it's alright, kiddo," Sawyer told her. Brian glanced at Justin. This was just strange. "You wanna hold her?" Sawyer asked Justin. He froze again. Did he?

 

"No, thanks," Justin whispered, feeling guilty for not wanting to hold her.


 

That's how it went for the next few days. Everyone stayed around the house, waiting. Waiting to hear if they found Molly yet. Jennifer's mom and sister Lynda came to stay with them. The house was getting fuller every day.

 

Justin hadn't gone near Lilly. He was almost too afraid to. He could barely even look at her. By the third night, Justin was restless. He snuck out of bed and went downstairs into the kitchen. Daphne was in there, bouncing Lilly on her hip. "I know you're upset, sweet pea. I'm sorry. Just please try and fall asleep. Aren't you exhausted?" Daphne asked her.

 

"What's wrong with her?" Justin asked as he got a bottle of water from the fridge. She wasn't crying, so he didn't understand what was going on now with her. Daphne let out a long sigh.

 

"I can't put her down. She starts crying. She hasn't slept in almost 12 hours. That's not normal for a six- month-old. She just won't relax and go to sleep," Daphne said as she tried to give Lilly a bottle, but the baby pushed it away. Daphne had been tirelessly taking care of his baby sister. All of them had, really. He could see the exhaustion on everyone's face. Everyone really did take turns with her. Even Brian did earlier in the day.


 

"She probably doesn't like lesbians," Brian told Melanie, who was bouncing a screaming baby. He laughed as she glared at him, and walked over and placed the baby in his lap.

 

"It's your turn you jackass," Melanie snapped, and walked out of the room. Teresa laughed at him. Brian tried to hand Lilly to her, but moved back and chuckled.

 

"Oh, no. You're the one who pissed her off. Now you can have your turn. Just rock her," Teresa said, standing up and walking away. Just he and Justin were left on the couch. Brian stood up and bounced her, and she quieted a little.

 

"She must like you," Justin said in a monotone. Brian looked at him and just kept bouncing her.

 


 

"Here, let me take her. You look exhausted," Justin said as he took his little sister. Daphne let him take her, but eyed him carefully.

 

"Are you sure?" she asked. Justin nodded.

 

"Go get some sleep. Everyone else has taken their turn staying with her. I'll stay up with her," Justin said as he bounced her. Daphne yawned and nodded her head and went upstairs. He looked down at Lilly. It was the first time they were ever alone together. "Well...I guess it's just you and me," he said to her. She looked up at him and stared. "Sorry I haven't introduced myself...I'm Justin...I guess I'm your big brother," Justin said as he choked up. It was the first time that he had really looked at her. She had his and Molly's eyes. Which was strange, because he and Molly had his mother's eyes. In fact, he was glad that he and Molly got their physical features from their mother. Yes, their father was blond and fair skinned, but it was the shade of blond that both he and Molly had that resembled their mother and not their father. Both Justin and Molly had that killer Sunshine smile, as Debbie liked to say. People often joked that they wondered if Justin and Molly were actually Craig's kids, because they didn't look like him.

 

He shook his head from his thoughts. "You have Molly's nose," he told her, as he touched her nose, making her smile. He softened and smiled. "You look just like your big sister when she was a baby," Justin whispered as he tightened his hold on her. This was so strange. How had this happened? He remembered when he had found out about her. He was still living in New York.

 

"Why do you sound so weird and mopey?" Justin asked Molly while they were talking on the phone. She let out a heavy sigh.

 

"I have to tell you something. And I feel really bad," Molly said sadly.

 

"Molly, I'm a big boy. And I'm your older brother. You can tell me anything. You're not in trouble, are you?"

 

"No. It's not about me...I went over to Dad's house today...he and his girlfriend Laurie got married last night," she told him. Justin was stunned by that. He hadn't realized he was even serious about her.

 

"Why would you feel bad? So, you have a new stepmother. Have fun with that," he joked with her, trying to not let it bother him. He was surprised that his father hadn't even had his own daughter at the wedding.

 

"That's not all...they got married because she's pregnant," Molly said.


 

He knew right then that he was going to have a little sister or brother. And he acknowledged that he would never get to know her. He would never get to be a part of her life. He even briefly thought that he'd get to know her once she was 18, or older. Surely his father would either tell her when she was growing up what a terrible human being he was, or worse, not acknowledge that she had an older brother. He knew, though, that Molly would be there to let her know that everything their father was saying wasn't true. But still. He never thought he'd have any part of her life. Now here he was, holding this beautiful little girl. His eyes welled up with tears.

 

"I'm so sorry about your mom...It's all my fault what happened to her...your dad will never be around to take care of you. If he does get caught...he'll go to jail," he said, and wiped his eyes. "But you won't ever be alone. You'll always have me. And Molly. And my mom...and Tucker, I guess. And you'll have Brian...you'll have a lot of people here for you," he told her. He realized she had fallen asleep. He kissed her forehead. What Justin never realized was that Teresa was standing there. Before he could see her, she walked back upstairs.


 

The next morning Brian noticed Lindsay and Melanie were having a heated discussion. They both looked frustrated and were speaking softly to each other. "What's the trouble in Muncher Land now?" Brian asked as he plopped down on the couch, rubbing his eyes. The girls looked at each other.

 

"It's nothing you should worry about," Lindsay said uncomfortably.

 

"What are you two dykes fighting about? Just spit it out," Brian said, exhausted.

 

"We're actually not fighting with each other," Melanie said. She heard J.R. calling for her and Lindsay from upstairs. She had just woken up from her nap, and Mel went to go check on her.

 

"Well, come on. Spit it out," Brian said. She crossed her arms and sat down on the couch.

 

"Michael was threatening Melanie. Spouting off about suing for custody, because we've been staying here, and saying she's putting Jenny in danger. That Craig could come in here and kill her," Lindsay said and scrubbed her face. "Michael's taking her today overnight...Mel's just...scared. That Michael will try and keep her," Lindsay admitted. Brian sighed.

 

"He can't keep her. And even if he tries, we'll send someone to go and take her. Melanie has more rights to her then he does," Brian said. Lindsay shook her head.

 

"No. Don't you remember? When we moved back, we gave you and Michael rights to the kids. There aren't any custody agreements. And Ben has rights to her, too. If Michael wants to sue, he could keep her with him, and let Social Services handle it," Lindsay said. She was worried.

 

Justin was listening, and backed away. He walked upstairs to Sam and Josh's guest room. Jayden was sitting up against the headboard on the bed, and Daphne was lying with her back up against him. Sam was lying down next to them, and Josh was lying on the love seat that was in there. "Tell me what's going on with Michael," Justin said. They all looked over at him, startled. "I want to know everything. And I don't want you guys to hold anything back from me, like you were before the wedding," Justin said. They all looked over at Sam, who rolled her eyes and sat up. "What you told me not to worry about. That you would tell me when I got back. When you freaked that time and came in and got Josh and drove away. That was about Michael, wasn't it?" Justin asked. Sam sighed and nodded.

 

"Alright. Sit down. This is gonna take a while," Sam said. He sat down in the recliner. Sam proceeded to tell him everything that had happened while Justin wasn't around. About him yelling at everyone at Mel and Lindsay's house. About Brian making them write Michael's Best Man speech. And then, the climax of it all. The big fight at Britin, before Brian and Justin even got home.


 

"I just want to say one thing," Teresa told Michael. Her face was red.

 

"Please don't do this," Sawyer begged her.

 

"No. I'm going to say it. I wasn't around Brian's whole life. Thank you for always being there to point it out. Because if I didn't have you pointing that out, I may just actually forget. But I am his mother. And I love him. And I don't want to ruin the last few days he has of his honeymoon to tell him what's happened. He and Justin deserve to relax and come home. If we call them, Brian's going to get them on the first flight back, they're going to be miserable, and Justin won't be able to do a damn thing. He'll be a nervous wreck flying through the fucking air. So you are going to let Jennifer decide the right form of action, and I am going to back her up 100 %, because our sons are married to each other. We're family. And I swear to God if you ever talk to me again, I will throw you out of here!" Teresa yelled, getting close to Michael's face. It was her father that pulled her back.

 

"That's enough! This is not helping," Robert said.

 

"Here. Let me hold her. I'll try and calm her down...I agree with them. We should wait till they're back home," Lindsay said as she took the baby and bounced her, calming her.

 

"Wow. Brian's other best friend agrees with Justin's mom. She must be crazy for going against Mich..." Sam tried to say.

 

"Will you stop that? You're not helping matters at all," Sawyer snapped at her.

 

"It is my decision. And no one's going to call them. There isn't anything they can do...I want them to enjoy the last few days of their honeymoon before...they come back to this mess," Jennifer cried.

 

"Shhh it's okay," Tucker said, wrapping his arm around her.

 

"People are dead. And you just want to be quiet and say nothing? What if he goes after Brian?" Michael said.

 

"WHAT ABOUT JUSTIN? I swear to God I will throw you out. This isn't about Brian!" Sam yelled at him. Sawyer pushed her back to the couch.

 

"You sit back down!" Sawyer yelled at his little sister, pointing at her.

 

"ENOUGH!" Genevieve yelled. Everyone stared at her. The room was silent. Even the baby had stopped crying. "This poor baby lost her mother last night. Her father killed her mother. And her own father kidnapped her sister. We don't know where Molly is right now. Right now, we should be thinking about Molly, and saying a prayer for her safety. Instead you stand there and argue," Genevieve said. Everyone stayed silent for a few moments. "This is about Jennifer's family," she told Michael. "These are Justin's little sisters, and his father. Jennifer gets to decide what happens. The boys will be home in three days. And when they get home, they'll find out that Craig killed his wife, and kidnapped Molly," Genevieve said sadly.

 

Everyone stared at Michael to see his reaction. It was like he hadn't heard a word she said. He looked bored. "You people can't just walk in here and take over. You don't control me. I'm calling him," Michael said as he started reaching for his phone. Sam jumped up, but Josh and Sawyer grabbed her.

 

"Let him go," Ted said without moving. Everyone stared at him. "Just let him call Brian," Ted said. There hadn't been much reaction to some of the people in the room. And there was a reason for that. Michael stared at Ted. Glared at him. Faced him down.

 

"Michael Novotny, you put that fucking phone down right now," Debbie told him.

 

"Let him go, Debbie," Ted said again, not taking his eyes off Michael. He hit Brian's name and put the phone to his ear. Ted's cell started ringing and he answered it, putting the phone to his ear. "So much for calling Brian," Ted said with no emotion. Michael's eyes flared.

 

"Why do you have Brian's phone?" Michael demanded. Ted showed his phone.

 

"It's not Brian's. It's mine. Whenever someone tries to call Brian or Justin, it goes straight to my phone. It's so they can't be interrupted," Ted said.

 

"Shut up," Sam said softly. She didn't know that. Justin had called her a couple of times, and she hadn't thought anything of it.

 

"And what about an emergency? Like now?" Michael demanded.

 

"Cynthia and I have cell phones to call that go directly to their phones if we need to call about anything work related. So does Sawyer, but he, Jennifer, and Lindsay have phones that are for personal reasons, should they need to call them about family," Ted said. Everyone was shocked how Ted was standing up to Michael right now.

 

"Well, get on the fucking phone and call Brian. He needs to know right fucking now," Michael told him. Ted shook his head.

 

"Not unless Jennifer asks me to. I'm sorry, Michael. But this is her family, and she's calling the shots. I'll only call him if she wants me to," Ted said.

 

"Then give me the fucking phone. You all are a bunch of pussies not standing up to her, because she's crying. She doesn't call the shots on Brian's life," Michael told him.

 

"It's not about Brian. This is about Justin, you selfish prick!" Sam said. Josh was holding her back so she couldn't lunge at him. Daphne and Jayden had walked in at that moment, and were stunned and stood still. Debbie had rushed out with Carl and Emmett following her.

 

"Get her out of here. She's not helping," Sawyer told Josh.

 

"Oh, that's rich, coming from Brian's cousin who loves him so much," Michael sang and mocked Sam. There was no way Josh was going to be able to pull her out of this room.

 

"You're so uneducated that you haven't learned yet that I'm not his cousin. And I do love him. I love him enough to know that this isn't about his needs. It's about Justin's. Something you're too selfish to understand. You're going to lose him. He's not your best friend anymore, and you're too blind to even see it," Sam told him.

 

"You're nothing to him. All of you are nothing to him. The only reason any of you are here is because Justin forced him to get to know you. He wants nothing to do with you. His so-called loving parents abandoned him. They let some drunk take him home, where he got the shit beat out of him on a daily basis. Yeah, way to go," Michael said as he clapped his hands for Sawyer and Teresa. The color drained from both of their faces. Even Brian's grandparents. The second that Jayden heard that, he ran over to Teresa to hold her back. She tried to lunge at him, but Jayden was holding her tight, and Sawyer moved from Sam to Teresa to stop her.

 

"What's the matter with you? How can you do this right now?" Daphne asked as she went to stand next to Jennifer, who looked like she was going to be sick.

 

"I don't even know who you are anymore," Lindsay said.

 

"I think it's time for you to leave now," Teresa's father, Robert, said to Michael. He scoffed.

 

"I'm not going anywhere. This isn't your house," Michael told him. Sam bit Josh's hand and he let her go. She lunged at Michael and grabbed his ear, making him scream and keel over.

 

"YOU'RE GETTING OUT OF THIS HOUSE RIGHT NOW!" Sam yelled as she dragged him out by his ear. Everyone was too stunned to watch. She pushed Michael out the door. "I just saved your ass, because Teresa will murder you. And there's not one person in this room who would stop her," Sam told him.

 

"Who the hell are you to talk to me like this? You have no right to throw me out! This isn't your house! I have more right to be in this house than you ever will. You're just some spoiled, little, rich girl who lived off her daddy's money, and then got married and lives off your husband's money. You haven't even worked a day in your life! You know nothing," Michael told her. Sam crossed her arms.

 

"Like I said, you piece of shit! You're uneducated. You stay off this property, or so help me I will beat you to within inch of your life till you're begging me to let you live," Sam said and slammed the door.

 


 

Justin sat there, stunned. "I'm sorry," Daphne told him. Justin stood up and ran down the stairs.

 

"She's not safe over there. There's a murderer on the loose, and you're just sitting in the lion's den. And you don't even care," Michael told Melanie. They were in front of Melanie and Lindsay's house, where they were meeting to give Jenny to Michael. Lindsay had taken Jenny inside the house once Michael started arguing with Mel.

 

"I'm not letting you take my daughter when you're like this. You need to change your attitude," Melanie told him. He scoffed.

 

"JUSTIN!" Sam screamed, as Michael and Mel looked to where they heard a voice, before Justin was in front of them and punched Michael in the face, sending him flying backwards.

 

"What the fuck is going on?" Brian demanded as he watched Sam, Daphne, Josh, and Jayden, one by one run by him and out the door.

 

"Come on, you piece of shit! Stand up! You wanna fight me? You've wanted to do that since the moment Brian met me! You've wanted to fight me since you realized I wasn't just some fuck. I turned out to be the love of Brian's life. I married him. You got nothing! You don't get to come into my house and say anything about my family! You don't get to insult Brian's family. Because they're my family, too. What Sawyer and Teresa did is none of your FUCKING BUSINESS!" Justin screamed as Michael fought to stand back up. But Justin pushed him again. "You did all of this in front of my mother. None of this is about you and Brian. This has nothing to do with you. This is about my family. About our family. This is about my sister. And you stood in MY HOUSE AND INSULTED HER! YOU DON'T GET TO INSULT ANYONE IN MY FAMILY AGAIN!" Justin yelled at him.

 

Everyone ran over and stopped, just watching. It was Brian who pulled Justin away before he could lunge again. "Justin, stop it!" Brian told him. Michael struggled to stand up, and wiped the blood off his face.

 

"He just came out here and attacked me, Brian," Michael said.

 

"Oh, yeah, like you didn't deserve it. You're just the poor victim in all of this. You didn't cause any of this," Sam said.

 

"Sam, stop it," Josh told her.

 

"You're never allowed on my property again," Justin told him.

 

"You don't get to make that decision. It isn't your house. It's Brian's," Michael told him. Justin fought Brian to get away.

 

"Uneducated again," Sam said.

 

"Both of their names are on the mortgage. Brian doesn't have more right to that house than Justin does, and vice versa," Melanie told him in disgust. Michael's eyes widened.

 

"You fucking loser! Look what you've done to yourself! You caused all of this! You pushed everyone so hard, and look where you are! You're losing everything! And everyone in your life. Get the fuck out of here!" Justin yelled and struggled against Brian.

 

"Let's go!" Brian said and tried yanking him back. He had never realized Justin was so strong.

 

"You don't know anything. Brian is my best friend. Always has been, and always will be. Nothing can come between us," Michael said.

 

"Do you even hear Brian coming to your defense? You're losing your best friend. He's standing right in front of you, and not saying a word to you. Do you not even see that you've lost him?" Sam said.

 

"I can speak for myself. The both of you shut the fuck up! Get inside the house, Justin," Brian said and yanked him hard.

 

"What the hell is going on?" Sawyer asked as he ran across the street.

 

"Help me get him back in the fucking house," Brian gritted through his teeth. The two of them fought with Justin to get him across the street. He yelled the whole way at Michael. "Get upstairs, or so help me, Justin!" Brian snapped at him. He got him upstairs and into their bedroom, slamming the door behind him. "SIT DOWN!" He yelled at Justin.

 

"Why did you do that? I've been waiting for six years to beat the living shit out of him! He deserves everything he gets!" Justin said, trying to get past him, but Brian pushed him back and leaned down toward him, getting in his face.

 

"You don't get to beat people up because you're pissed. You're just making everything worse. You're not going back down there, so you may as well start calming the fuck down right now!" he said, pushing his chest before he started pacing the floor. "You and Sam don't get to dictate my relationship with Michael. It's not up to either of you," Brian told him. Justin glared at him.

 

"He's not going to come into my house and do what he did. Yelling at both of our mothers. He insulted practically everyone. He's been stepping on me for years. He's been bullying me for years. And he doesn't get to anyone. Not in my house. This is my house, Brian!" Justin said as he stood up, getting more fired up.

 

"I know that. And I agree," Brian told him. Justin stood there a moment, just staring at him. "You're right. He doesn't get to come into this house and do that again. Because it is your house. And if you say he can't come back in it, then I'm right behind you," Brian told him.

 

"Then what are we arguing about?" Justin asked.

 

"You don't get to beat the shit out of him. And you don't get to tell him what I'm doing. You don't get to tell him that he's losing me. That's all on ME. That's my relationship, and neither you or Sam get to dictate what I'm going to do."

 

"So you're just gonna push it under the rug? Like he hasn't made my life miserable for six years, and started making everyone else's life miserable for the past few months?"

 

"No, I'm not going to just push it under the fucking rug. I didn't say that. What I'm going to do is MY business. It's not yours or Sam's. I'm going to be the one to deal with Michael. And trust me, Justin Taylor, I am going to be doing something about it," Brian told him. Justin's face fell. Brian didn't understand what was wrong with him. Justin stood up and walked over to the door.

 

"It's not Taylor...it's Kinney," Justin said and rubbed his forehead. "And thanks for backing me up. And here I thought marriage was supposed to be about defending each other," Justin said before walking out of the room.