Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 CHAPTER 11

 

“I say you just push him down. I'm sure he'll go right down. Then we can just drag him off to bed.” Sam said as her, Daphne and Josh trailed behind Justin. He was walking slow, and he was still knocking on doors.

 

“How the hell has he made it 24 hours?” Josh asked. Sam snorted.

 

“Derek went out like a light this morning. He was exhausted from following him around all night.” Sam said.

 

“I just want him to stop looking. I just want him to just go home and go to sleep. He can't even see straight.” Daphne said. Josh rubbed her back. Daphne's cell phone rang. “Hey babe.” Daphne said tiredly. She stopped and her eyes widened. “No way.” Daphne said. Sam and Josh stared at her and she jumped up and down in excitement. “Alright we'll wait here for you.” She said and hung up. “JUSTIN THEY FOUND THE PUPPIES!” Daphne said. Justin stopped and then slowly turned and looked at her.

 

“Where are they?” Sam asked.

 

“An animal hospital called the house phone. They had scanned their microchips. Jayden said he's coming right now to come get us. I just have to send him our location.” Daphne said as she started texting Jayden.

 

“Isn't that awesome Justin. We'll drive right over and get them.” Sam said to Justin. He didn't answer her. He just stood there. They waited about ten minutes for Jayden to get there and pick them up. Justin got into the front seat. It had been the first time he had sat down since he had left Brian in the hospital. Daphne, Jayden, Sam and Josh talked in the car, but Justin didn't say one word. Jayden didn't even stop the car before Justin was out and slowly making his way into the animal hospital, that he had never been to, and stopped at the reception desk.

 

“I'm Justin Kinney. Someone called because they found my dogs.” Justin said hoarsely

 

“I wonder what they think about him? He's all dirty and can't even talk.” Josh whispered to Jayden. The receptionist nodded her head and stood up.

 

“Fred and George. The doctor wanted to speak with you. Let me bring you into a private room and I'll go get him for you. Just follow me.” she said kindly, and led all of them down the hall and into a private room. She pulled in a few more chairs for them. “He's finishing up with a patient, so he'll be in shortly.” she said and left. A minute later the doctor came in.

 

“Hello. I'm Dr. Monroe.” he said to them and sat down.

 

“Are George and Fred ok?” Justin asked.

 

“They both are. They're getting Fred right now. But there was an accident with George.” he said. They looked over at Justin. His face was expressionless. “The couple who had brought them in. They had swerved to avoid hitting them last night. But unfortunately they hit George.” Dr. Monroe said. The girls gasped, but Justin kept staring at the vet. “He's ok now. I had to do surgery on him. His leg was crushed, and there was some internal bleeding. But I was able to stop it and fix his leg. He came out of the surgery beautifully.” he said. At that moment a nurse opened the door, and Fred walked slowly in. As soon as he saw Justin, Fred started crying and ran across the room to jump into Justin's lap. Justin tried to hold him, but Fred just cried and licked at his face and kept jumping.

 

“It's ok buddy. I got you.” Justin whispered to him.

 

“He hasn't liked being separated from his partner in crime. He's been sad and crying since we took George away. We gave him a bath because he was soaked and filthy.” Dr. Monroe said.

 

“Can we see George?” Daphne asked.

 

“Of course.” he said, and they followed him out back to what looked like a recovery room for dogs with all the cages on the wall. George's cage was opened, and he was laying on his side. One of his front legs had a bright blue cast on iT, and he had a large bandage around him. Justin had tears spring to his eyes as he bent down to look at his little puppy. Fred had jumped out of his arms before he could stop him. Justin thought Fred would jump on George, but he must have known he was hurt. He walked over him, and laid down next to him, resting his head on George's back.

 

“It's ok. He won't hurt him.” a nurse said. George opened his eyes and looked at Justin.

 

“Hey george. I'm so glad to see you.” Justin said as he reached in and pet him. George whimpered a little and licked Justin's hand. He pet both them. “I'm so glad you guys are ok. I'm so sorry.” he whispered to them. Fred and George were ok. His puppies that Brian bought for him were ok. He rubbed away the tears from his face. First Brian, and now his little puppy?

 

“When can George come home?” Sam asked.

 

“We want to wait a few days and keep monitoring him. If he continues to remain strong then there's no reason to keep him longer. Fred can stay with George if you'd like Mr. Kinney.” Dr. Monroe said.

 

“We'll make sure they stay together. Dogs tend to get better faster when they have another dog like Fred with them.” the nurse said. Justin sat there for a little while longer, and then agreed to let Fred stay. He stayed with the dogs for an hour before he said good bye. The hospital was opened 24 hours, and could call and check up on them whenever he wanted. He signed some paperwork, and then headed for the car. As Jayden got into the car, Justin held out his hand.

 

“Can I see your phone?” Justin asked.

 

“Yeah of course.” Jayden said and handed it to him. Justin looked up an address and put it into Jayden's GPS.

 

“Go there.” Justin said. Jayden just looked at him, but then looked back to the road he was driving on.

 

“Where are we going?” Sam asked.

 

“Justin don't you want to go home now? Finally get some sleep. I can call Brian for you and you can tell him the good news.” Daphne said. Justin shook his head.

 

“Just go there Jayden.” Justin said. Jayden did as he was told. They ended up driving all the way back to the house and past it, and back into Pittsburgh. They turned onto a road and Jayden groaned.

 

“Oh God Justin. You can't be serious. We can't do this now.” Jayden said.

 

“Do what? Where are we?” Sam asked. Daphne had fallen asleep, but slowly started stirring as she heard them talking.

 

“What's wrong?” she yawned out.

 

“I don't feel right about doing this? I swear Brian's gonna kill me for driving you here. And his mother. And my mother. And my grandmother. God even your mother is gonna kick my ass.” Jayden groaned.

 

“Oh you gotta be shitting me.” Sam said. Josh looked her phone.

 

“Justin are you sure about this?” Josh asked. Daphne looked around.

 

“Wait are we going?...” Daphne looked at Sam and Josh who nodded their heads. “Justin you can't be serious.” Daphne said. Justin ignored them. They knew after 24 hours of pleading with Justin, that there was no use trying to get him to go home. Justin wouldn't listen to them now. They went inside, and it took almost an hour for Justin to be able to get where he wanted to go. He got into the large room and sat down at a table to wait. The others stayed on the other side of the glass to wait. “This has got to be the worst idea ever.” Daphne groaned.

 

Justin sat with his hands folded on the table. He waited until the person he wanted to see was escorted in, and then sat down across from him. He looked up. “Hello Craig.” Justin spoke hoarsely. God his throat was in so much pain. And he was thirsty. So fucking thirsty. And his head was pounding. His eyes were dry. He was sweating even though it was freezing outside. He knew he was sick. He was sick and dehydrated, and had no sleep. He shook his head. He had to focus.

 

“What the hell do you want?” Craig asked.

 

“I wanted you to hear it from me that you didn't kill me. I'm still alive.” Just told him.

 

“From the way you look you might fall over and die any second. So I may get my wish anyways.” Craig said. Ouch. That hurt. His father wishing him dead was nothing new, but never got any easier to know. “What the fuck are you doing here?” he demanded

 

“I also came here to tell you that you didn't kill my son. He's safe. And he's the one who hit you with a shovel. The stupid kid being raised by four homos beat your ass with a fucking shovel.” Justin said.

 

“I don't fucking care about him. He's not even your kid. I care about my own kids. My daughters.” Craig said. Justin still ignored whatever he was saying.

 

“Well you may also be happy to know, that you didn't kill Brian either. He's alive. He'll be back to normal very shortly. And I'm ok after you attacked me in the street last week.” Justin told him. Craig scoffed. “There is nothing in this world that I could have done that was so awful for you to try and kill me and my family.” Justin told him.

 

“You're not my family. My daughters are my family. And don't think for one second that I'm gonna let you get your disgusting hooks into Lilly the way you did with Molly. You and Jen won't raise her. I'll see to that. I'd rather her live across the world in China and never see Molly again, then to have you near her and infect her. You and that fucking child molester can die of aids. And I hope both of you do.” Craig said.

 

Justin was seething. He felt out of his body. He had no control over it. Everything that he had been feeling for the past couple of months had boiled down to this one moment. All the guilt he felt for everything that happened to Molly, Lilly and her mother Laurie. All the fear. All the hatred. Getting attacked in the street. All the hatred towards Michael. His house getting broken into. The puppies getting out, and George lying there helpless, almost dying. Brian almost dying. Brian getting shot. The blood. Gus watching everything. Everything had bubbled into his body, and he couldn't even feel his body lunge across the table. He didn't realize that he was punching and breaking bones as he landed on top of Craig. He didn't realize that it was him trying to choke him. Trying to get rid of the air in his body. He never heard anyone screaming for him to stop. He didn't realize that someone was dragging him away. He felt completely out of his body. And then the world went black.

 

Brian had been sleeping. They had upped his pain meds. He had started getting an infection around his incision area. He didn't call it that. The doctors did. He called it the fucking bullet hole. The fucking hole in his perfect body. He woke up and winced at the pain in his side. God he had never been in so much fucking pain before. “Hey how're you feeling?” he heard his father ask. He looked over at him and groaned.

 

“I feel like someone fucking shot me in my chest.” Brian moaned. He tried getting comfortable again. He happened to notice Sawyer fidgeting around. He opened his eyes and looked closer at him. He groaned again. “What the fuck is wrong with you?” Brian bitched. Great. Now what happened? Now what was wrong?

 

“Nothing.” Sawyer lied. Brian rolled his eyes.

 

“Don't lie to me. Something's wrong. What is it?” Brian demanded. Sawyer sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

 

“Well...I have some good news. And some bad news.” Sawyer said. He was trying to find the right words.

 

“Well fucking spit it out already.” Brian said.

 

“Well um...they found the puppies.” Sawyer said. He fidgeted in his seat again. “This couple tried to avoid hitting them, but the car hit George. They ended up taking them to a 24 hour hospital. George has a broken leg and had some internal bleeding. But he's ok. And Fred's ok.” Sawyer said. Brian was relieved. Not that he actually liked those fucking dogs. They annoyed him. But Justin loved them. He adored everything about them. So he was relieved that they were ok. “They're gonna be at the animal hospital for a few days till George is better. Fred's with him.” Sawyer said.

 

“So Justin's back at home then right? There's no reason for him to be out now.” Brian said. Sawyer gave him an odd look.

 

“Well not exactly...Justin's actually downstairs in the emergency room. He collapsed from exhaustion and dehydration. His fevers almost 104. He's been sleeping for a few hours now.” Sawyer said. Brian rubbed his face.

 

“You gotta be fucking kidding me.” Brian said.

 

“That's actually not the worst part.” Sawyer said. Brian slowly pulled his hand down. “After he left the animal hospital...he went and saw Craig in jail.” Sawyer said. Brian's eyes widened.

 

“WHAT? How'd he fucking get there? Who drove him?” Brian demanded.

 

“Well um...you see...they don't want you actually knowing who brought him. In their defense, Justin is the one who put the address into their GPS, and they had no idea where they were going until they were there. And there was no stopping him.” Sawyer said.

 

“They don't want me to know who brought him? Are you shitting me?” Brian asked. Sawyer scratched the back of his head.

 

“That's still not the worst part.” Sawyer said.

 

“What could possibly be worse?”

 

“Justin attacked Craig.” Sawyer said. Brian was speechless. “He beat his face in, and tried choking him. If the guards didn't pull him off, he could have killed Craig.” Sawyer said. Holy shit. Justin attacked his own father? He couldn't say he was surprised. He knew that would eventually happen. Since the day Craig found out Justin was gay he had been tormenting Justin. Justin finally snapped. Brian sat up, holding his side and hissing as he started sliding his feet off the bed. “Wait what are you doing?” Sawyer asked, standing up.

 

“What the fuck does it look like I'm doing? I'm trying to fucking stand up and go downstairs.” Brain ground out through gritted teeth.

 

“You have to lay back down. You can't even stand up.” Sawyer said holding his hands out to stop him.

 

“Then go get me a fucking wheelchair.” Brian yelled at him as he successfully got his feet to the other side of the bed. Sweat was dripping down his face. He needed to unhook himself from all the plugs in his arms.

 

“Brian please just sit back. Justin's not even awake. He's sleeping. They're giving him fluids and working on getting his fever down-”

 

“GET ME A FUCKING WHEELCHAIR SAWYER!” Brian yelled at him. Sawyer stepped back.

 

“I thought you um...weren't gonna call me that anymore.” Sawyer said.

 

“Oh Jesus Christ no wonder you and Justin get along so well. You two are both fucking drama queens. Listen to me. Are you listening?” Brian asked. Sawyer nodded his head. “I want you to get me a fucking wheelchair, so I can go downstairs and knock some fucking sense into my over dramatic pain in the ass husband. If you don't get me a fucking wheelchair, then I'm gonna walk down there myself. And if you'd ever like to me hear me reference you as dad again, you'll fucking get it for me and not try and stop me.” Brian told him. Sawyer didn't have to be told twice. He left the room and came back in with a wheelchair. He started to help Brian out of bed when Teresa came in.

 

“What the hell are you two doing?” Teresa demanded as she put her laptop bag down and walked over to them. Emmett stood in the doorway. “Where the hell do you think you're going?” she demanded.

 

“I'm going to the airport. I hear Mexico is lovely this time of year.” Brian said sarcastically.

 

“Don't you fucking smart mouth me. Lay your ass back down in that bed. Get out of my way.” she told Sawyer and pushed him aside. She took the wheelchair and shoved it at him. “Just what on earth would make you help him get out of bed?” Teresa demanded. Sawyer looked like a child that had been scolded.

 

“Well he um...I told him about Justin being downstairs...”

 

“Really? Like I couldn't figure that out for myself.” She said. He glared at her.

 

“He threatened me.” Sawyer said. Brian rolled his eyes. “He said he was gonna start calling me Sawyer again.” Sawyer said. Teresa covered her face with her hands. Brian scoffed.

 

“Fucking blabbermouth. Bring that wheelchair back and get this shit out of me.” Brian said as he looked down at the I.V.'s.

 

“You leave those things alone and lay back down. You're not going down there. He's sick. Everyone in the E.R. is sick and you can't be around them.” Teresa said trying to push him back, but Brian wouldn't lay back. “Listen to me. I will take my fucking shoes off right here and beat the shit out of you if you don't lay back down. And I don't care that you just got shot. You can't go down there. And you can't even get up. You're in fucking pain. And don't try and threaten me with you won't call me mom again. I'm not fucking playing around. Lay the fuck back down Brian Kinney.” Teresa told him. Brian glared at her, and then slowly laid back down. Oh god the pain. He was starting to see stars. Teresa turned and looked at Sawyer. “He threatened you.” she mocked softly. Sawyer pushed the wheelchair out and then came back in.

 

“So Brian started calling you mom and dad?” Emmett asked. Brian grabbed his cup of water and threw it at Emmett. He moved just in time so he didn't get hit with it. The cup hit the wall and went flying back to the floor. Water everywhere.

 

“Oh that was real mature of you. Look at this fucking room. The only reason I'm not making you get down on your hands and knees right now is because it would defeat the purpose of me making you stay in bed, and I know you'd enjoy being down there to much.” Teresa said. Brian glared at her, and Emmett laughed. She looked over at Sawyer and pointed to the floor. “Clean this up.” She said. Sawyer was to afraid of her to argue with her and started grabbing paper towels to wipe it up. Emmett helped him. “Now that we have all that settled. You can't go downstairs. I know you want to.” Teresa said.

 

“Ok then smart ass. You have any other brilliant plans how I can yell at him from up here?” Brian asked. He couldn't move now. It hurt too much. He pressed his call button repeatedly. He wanted more fucking pain meds.

 

“Of course I have a plan.” she said and grabbed her laptop. She set it up next to him and started FaceTiming Justin's own MacBook. He watched as someone accepted the request, and he could see Justin lying in bed, sleeping. “When Justin wakes up, you'll be the first to know, grumpy ass.” She ground out.

 

Justin groaned as he started waking up. Oh he felt horrible. Everything was wrong. His body was in so much pain. He felt it all over. But he felt like he was sick. Really sick. What was wrong with him. “Good morning Sunshine.” he heard Brian say. He sounded weird. He sounded far away. “You've been sleeping for almost 24 hours.” Brian said. He opened his eyes and was startled by the room. Where was he? “You're in the hospital.” Brian told him. Where the hell was he? He looked around the room. He realized that his MacBook was opened, and realized he was FaceTiming Brian. “Bout time you woke up. How're you feeling?”

 

Justin laid his head back and rubbed his forehead. “Awful.” he whispered. He tried talking, but couldn't get his voice above a whisper. His throat was so raw and hurt.

 

“That's probably from all that screaming. And not the good kind from having my dick in your ass.” Brian joked. Justin didn't feel like joking. Brian cleared his throat. “I know what happened. I know you went to visit Craig in prison.” Brian said. Everything started coming back to Justin. Getting attacked outside his house. Craig breaking into his house and shooting Brian. Searching for the dogs. George getting run over. Justin beating the shit out of Craig, and even trying to kill him.

 

“Listen Sunshine. Everything's gonna be ok. You and me will get the fuck out of this hospital. And everything can go back to normal. He's locked up now. He can't get out and hurt you or your sisters anymore. You're safe now.” Brian said. Before he could say anything else, Jennifer had walked into Justin's room.

 

“Oh thank goodness you're awake.” she said as she came over and waved at Brian. A nurse came in a second later.

 

“I'll let you go.” Brian said. Before he could say anything else, Justin had closed his MacBook. Brian scrubbed his face. How pathetic was he. His life had become being babysat in a hospital bed. Justin had been released later that afternoon. Jen had given him his phone. He couldn't talk. His voice was completely gone. They gave him fluids, but there wasn't much else they could do. He had the flu. He'd just have to wait it out. And he'd have to go home and eat and drink, and stay in bed. Jennifer tried making small talk with him in the car as she drove him home. Justin didn't respond. Justin felt his phone vibrate and looked down at it. He saw that Brian had texted him.

 

Fucking lucky bastard. You get to leave while I'm still stuck here with green shit oozing out a fucking hole in my stomach. Did they give you good shit to take when you get home?

 

Brian was still stuck in the hospital. He let out a deep breath, and turned his phone off. He didn't want to talk. He didn't want to think. When Jen pulled up to the house, he noticed that the front yard had been picked up. The tree that had fell down had been removed, and even the stump. It looked like nothing had happened. He walked in through the garage and into the kitchen. His head was pounding.

 

“Hey welcome home.” Daphne said as he walked in. Everyone was still at his house. Everyone was waiting for him. Asking how he was feeling. Was he hungry? Was he thirsty? There was fresh homemade chicken soup. He shook his head and whispered no thank you and turned down the hall. He reached up on a shelf and placed his cell phone up there. He didn't want to talk to anyone. And he didn't want anyone to keep shoving his damn phone in his face to talk to Brian. He didn't want to talk. He went upstairs and laid down on his bed. Only stopping to take his shoes off. He didn't even bother with pulling the blankets down.

 

No one really bothered Justin that day. They would knock to see if he wanted something to eat or drink. But they didn't push him. The next day, when he still didn't bother to come out of his room, his mom would bring him something to eat and drink. He wouldn't touch it. Daphne had touched his forehead at one point. He was hot again. Brian had figured out this Justin's cell phone was off, and the others had set out looking for it. Without it even being on, they couldn't figure out what Justin had done with it.

 

“He had in the car Jen said. So he walked into the kitchen with all of us and had it in his pocket. So how did he manage to lose it from the kitchen to his room, which he hasn't left.” Daphne said as she looked under the couch again. Justin wouldn't talk. It was like he was off in another world. The only one's that were still staying in the house, were Sawyer, Daphne, Jayden, Sam and Josh. Everyone else had gone home. Everyone would always check up on Justin during the day, but everyone else was downstairs while he laid in bed, not getting up. He had at least moved to under the covers now. He had taken his jeans and socks off. But he still wore a hoodie and the hood was covering his face. Even Jen had gone home after Daphne assured her she would stay and look after him. Jen had Lilly to take care of.

 

They tried to coax Justin out of his room when they brought Fred and George back home. Justin didn't move. Not until a couple of hours later, Daphne tried to get him to acknowledge her and brought the puppies up to his room and put them on the bed. “Guess who's home Justin. Brian's not home yet so the puppies can sleep with you up here.” Daphne said. The puppies whined and went to Justin. But he covered his face with his blanket. Fred tried scratching his way under the blanket, but George couldn't do it with the cast on his leg.

 

“They can just stay with us. Come on Daph.” Jayden said as he entered the room and picked George up. Daphne picked Fred up and walked out of the room. They shut the door behind them. Sam and Josh were in the hallway.

 

“Did it knock him out of whatever la la land he's shut himself in?” Sam asked knowing the answer. She shook her head and stomped off. The next day was the last day that Brian would have to stay in the hospital. Sam had sat next to Justin on the bed. “We're gonna have to end up bringing you back to the hospital if you aren't gonna eat or drink anything.” Sam told Justin. She felt his forehead “You're still a little hot. Come on Justin please just drink this water bottle. If you don't at least drink this then I'm gonna make Josh drag you into the bathtub and shove you under the water until you drink something. And you know he's afraid of me so he'll do it.” Sam said as she left the room. She came back in hour later to see that he did at least drink something. But the sandwich had remained untouched.

 

Sawyer, Lindsay and Gus had gone to the hospital to pick up Brian. Gus talked Brian's ear off the whole time. He mostly talked about the puppies. How George was really tired and had a hard time walking because if his cast. “He really likes uncle Josh. Uncle Josh pretty much carries him everywhere he needs to be. He brings him outside to go to the bathroom. And he has to do all these crazy things for him to eat daddy. He's supposed to eat soft food to settle his stomach. And he's supposed to drink water, but he's not really drinking that much. So uncle Josh has to mix in water with his food. But George is really picky. If he gives him to much George won't eat it. He has to make it just right. And then he has to eat his pills, but he doesn't like those. So uncle Josh hides his medicine in these treats called pill pockets. And he puts them in with his food. So George thinks he eating a treat but he has medicine all in it. But we have to hide the medicine in the treat because one time uncle Josh put the pill in with his food and the water, and it sizzled and melted and he wouldn't eat.” Gus said. Brian snorted at Gus gave him the play by play.

 

“Gus has been taking very good care of the puppies. He's been keeping a very close eye on them.” Lindsay told him. Brian smiled and ruffled Gus' hair.

 

“Thanks Sonny boy.” Brian said. When he walked into the front door he stood there for a moment. There was a moment when he was laying on the floor, that he thought he would never see this grand house again. He thought he was going to die. He gulped and kept walking towards the kitchen. He knew they cleaned up the blood. All the blood that poured out of his body. He felt a shiver go up his body. He wondered if Justin didn't want to live in this house anymore. It was tainted. There was horrific memories here now. His safe haven being broken into. Brian almost dying. He loved this house, but he would sell it in a heartbeat if that's what Justin wanted. They'd find another Country Manor with stables and a pool. He shook his head. He hadn't realized that everyone was talking to him.

 

“I'm fine.” Brian grumbled and pulled a water bottle out of the fridge.

 

“Oh he's back to his normal grumpy self.” Emmett joked. Justin was here. He was upstairs. He was too sick for Brian to still really be around.

 

Your immune system is very fragile right now Mr. Kinney. You have to be very careful who you're around. If anyone is sick, even a runny nose, you could get very sick right now.” the doctor said.

 

Brian rolled his eyes. He looked around the kitchen. “So how come no one's found the cell phone yet?” Brian asked.

 

“We've looked everywhere Brian. I can't figure out what he did with it. And he hasn't said a word.” Daphne told him. Brian nodded his head.

 

“Well then tell me who the asshole was, or assholes were, that brought him to visit his fucking father in prison and then let him beat the shit out of him?” Brian asked. They all looked around at each other.

 

“I'm pregnant. You can't get mad at me. I was an innocent bystander in the back seat. I was walking around with my big belly looking for the puppies. He put the address into Jayden's GPS and made Jayden drive him there.” Sam said. Brian looked over at Jayden. His eyes widened. He was standing next to Sam, but turned and hit Josh.

 

“Hey what the hell are you hitting me for?” Josh demanded.

 

“Because she's pregnant. I can't hit her.” Jayden said and turned back to Sam. “How could you rat me out. I still have to work with him.” Jayden said. He was panicked.

 

“So you and Jayden brought him.” Brian said. Jayden's eyes widened.

 

“Josh was with us to.” Jayden said. Josh shook his head and covered his face.

 

“So was Daphne.” Josh said. Daphne's mouth fell open.

 

“Justin hasn't listened to a word I said-any of us have said. He wouldn't listen to any of us. We couldn't talk him out of it.” Daphne told Brian.

 

“God you four are pathetic. You all ratted each other out.” Sawyer said. Teresa pinched him in the arm.

 

“Not me. I know how to keep a secret.” Daphne said. Brian rolled his eyes and went into the living room. He knew that he was gonna end up having to sleep down here for a few nights. He couldn't climb the stairs. How fucking pathetic was that. All the while Justin was upstairs. Alone and miserable. He scrubbed his face with his hands. God how had things gotten this bad?

 

That night he was tossing and turning on the couch. The fucking couch. He had a perfectly good bed upstairs to sleep in. But no, the doctors said he couldn't fucking be around Justin because he had the flu and Brian's immune system was bad because he had his spleen taken out and stitches and blah blah blah. What the hell did doctors know? “Fuck this shit.” Brian said and tossed the blankets aside. He stood up and winced. When was the last time he took something for pain? He didn't like those fucking pain killers. They didn't make him feel high. What was the fucking God damned point of taking pain killers if you didn't get high off of them. He walked to the stairs, and slowly started making his way up. Slowly. Oh so slowly. He got to the first landing and stopped, holding back a groan. He turned to go up the second set of stairs, when someone walked down the stairs and stopped. It was Justin's little sister Molly. She had come over after dinner to sleep over.

 

“What are you doing?” Molly asked him. He rolled his eyes.

 

“I'm going upstairs to my fucking room. To my own bed. I'm not sleeping on that fucking couch.” Brian told her. She smiled a little.

 

“You look like you're about to pass out from pain.” Molly said. He scoffed at her.

 

“You know, when did everyone feel the need to run my life and tell me what to do in my own fucking house? I've been running my own life for awhile now, and I don't need some 12 year old telling me what I can and can not do thank you.” Brian said. Molly's face didn't even change.

 

“Sam told me to ignore you if you acted like an asshole to me. Come downstairs with me. I can't find the hot chocolate.” Molly said and walked passed him. “She also told me to wake her up if you tried to come up here. She's been really cranky since she got knocked up. She doesn't like to be woken up. If you want to deal with that go for it.” she said and walked into the kitchen. So basically he had a choice. He could go upstairs and deal with that crazy pregnant wench waking up the whole fucking house and making a huge scene, or he could go back downstairs and go to sleep. He found himself in the kitchen a few minutes later to see Molly looking for hot chocolate. He walked passed her and opened a cabinet and pulled out some of Justin's and set it down. She smiled. “Thanks.” she said and started heating up some. He got some Jim Beam and sat down at the table with his pain pills. A few minutes later she sat down next to him at the table and eyed the alcohol.

 

“It helps me sleep.” he said and smiled. They couldn't take everything away from him. He held some out. “Want some? It'll help those bag under your eyes.” Brian said. She smiled a little.

 

“I'll think about.”

 

“So why aren't you in bed?” Brian asked, taking a long sip. That tasted amazing. She shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Haven't really been able to lately. Not with everything going on.” Molly said sadly. Before he could stop it, she started softly crying and tears started falling. “I don't get why this happened. He never used to be like this. Not when I was younger. He was a normal dad. He was grumpy, and cared more about his job. But he wasn't crazy. I don't understand how he could just snap and kill his wife. How could he try to kill his son and kidnap me and leave his other daughter alone crying. He could have killed all of us.” she said and cried softly into her hands.

 

He hadn't really thought about how she was feeling. He had only been thinking about Justin lately. But they were brother and sister. They loved each other. When one was hurting, the other was in pain. It was a foreign concept to him when he had Claire, and he didn't give a rats ass how she felt. He never had anyone that cared that much for Brian, as a brother. But here he was, sitting in front of Justin's little sister. She wasn't just crying for when she got kidnapped. Although in Brian's opinion that was enough to send her down the hall kicking and screaming and sobbing. That's at least what she should be doing he thought But he realized that she was crying for her mom, Jennifer. They all knew Jen was a wreck with everything thats happened to her kids. But she was crying Lilly, who would never know her mom. And she was crying for Justin, who had almost been killed.

 

“Yeah he could have done all of that. He could have killed all three of you. But he didn't. You're still here.” Brian told her. She wiped her cheek and looked up. “He didn't deserve three great kids.”

 

“I don't understand what happened to him. I don't understand why he would just snap because Justin said he was gay. Having a gay kid isn't worth...” she trailed off. It isn't worth a lot of things. Getting a divorce, losing your house. Snapping isn't worth killing your second wife, kidnapping one kid, leaving another one to die. It isn't worth attacking your son and trying to kill him. Trying to kill your sons husband and son. None of this was worth it. The whole thing was impossible to comprehend.

 

“It's something inside him. It was always there. It just happened to come out after your brother announced he was gay. Even if Justin was straight, him snapping was always going to happen. You can't begin to figure out a mentally crazy person. You can't change what happen. All you can control is how you react. And you control if you're going to let what happen, control your life.” Brian said. Molly wiped at her eyes.

 

“I don't want him to control the rest of my life.” Molly said softly. Brian gave her a half smile. “You gonna tell Justin that?” Molly asked. Brian snorted and took a another swig of his whiskey.

 

“Your brother is very hard headed. He doesn't listen to a word I say sometimes.” Brian chuckled and took another swig. “I've told him a million times. He'll eventually hear it. No idea when it'll sink in.” Brian said Molly nodded her head. They sat in silence while they drank. Her hot chocolate and his whiskey. She stood up and put her mug in the sink.

 

“Thanks Brian.” she said. He smiled and nodded his head. He ended up going back to the couch and fell asleep.

 

The next two days were pretty tension filled. Brian was moody and irritable He had to go and get his bandage changed, and the doctor had to look at his bullet hole. His fucking bullet hole. It was disgusting to look at. It was draining and oozy. His perfect body was scarred for life. Every time he'd look at it, he'd remember what Justin's father did to him. What Justin's father did to him Justin and Gus. He was incredibly bitter about the whole situation. Here he was in his own God damned house, and was only allowed on the main floor. He couldn't go downstairs, and he couldn't go upstairs to see Justin. He didn't understand how he was still up there, not talking. It just made him more and more angrier. Sawyer was really the only one that could talk to him. Teresa tried talking to him, and Brian was probably nicest to her, but even she was little nervous to talk to him.

 

Are you fucking kidding me?” Teresa asked as she walked into the living room. Brian was just starting to wake up on the couch. His hand was dangling down. Next to an almost empty bottle of Jim Beam. “You fucking drank alcohol?” Teresa demanded. Brian opened his eyes and groaned.

 

Leave me alone.” he groaned and hid his head under a pillow. She yanked it off and threw it aside.

 

You just got shot. You're spleen's been removed. You're on antibiotics for an infection. What the hell is the matter with you?” Teresa demanded as she smacked his head.

 

That was yesterday morning. His mood only got worse from there. He yelled at anyone who really even talked to him. Sawyer was the one that everyone made talk to Brian. Even Sam was unusually quiet. Brian wasn't sure if it was her fat ass pregnant hormones, or if it was something else. But he honestly didn't care. He was mad and miserable, so had no problem in getting the others to be miserable

 

“He won't eat anything. This isn't right. I don't know what to do.” Daphne whispered to Jayden in the hallway.

 

“That's it.” Sam said as she came out of her room with Josh following her. “I've had it. You all have just been babying him. If he doesn't want to eat, then fucking make him.” Sam said. Daphne and Jayden's mouths fell open.

 

“Babe why don't you calm down. How about I take you out to eat-” Josh tried to say but she ignored him and stormed into Justin's room. She went over to the bed with the others following her.

 

“It's time to get up Justin.” Sam told him.

 

“What are you doing?” Daphne asked.

 

“Doing what you can't do because you're too close to him.” Sam said and turned back to Justin. She yanked the covers off of him. “Get your ass up and get out of this bed right fucking now.” she told him. Daphne gasped and Jayden covered his face.

 

“You can't just yell at him like that.” Josh told her.

 

“The fuck I can. You laying there and drowning out the world and feeling sorry for yourself. We all get it. We all have let you just wallow. But today is that last day. You get your ass up and out of that bed and take a fucking shower.” Sam told him. Justin just looked at her. “We get it Justin. You're father is worlds fucking worst father. He almost killed you. Brian almost died because of him. But you need to fucking eat and drink something You need to get out of this bed and start living. Brian is fucking alive and right downstairs. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get up.” she said and pushed him. He was startled and rolled towards the edge of the bed. He slowly sat up. “Go take a fucking shower Justin!” she told him. He just stared at her. He showed no emotion as he got up and went into the bathroom.

 

“I can't believe that worked.” Jayden said, amazed.

 

“It didn't work. He's just in the bathroom now. He just changed rooms.” Sam said and spun on her feet. The others followed her down the stairs.

 

“Sam what the hell are you yelling about up there?” Sawyer complained from the couch. He and Brian were sitting on the couch.

 

“No one wants to tell you exactly how Justin is.” Sam said to Brian. Everyone was silent. “He's not even here. He's up in the bathroom. But he's not here. He's lost inside his own fucking head. He's not eating and he's not drinking. If I wasn't so fucking pregnant I'd have no problem opening up his mouth and pouring water down his throat. But he's been in the same clothes since he came home. He hasn't eaten or drank anything. He's just been laying there till I yelled at him to get up.” Sam said. They still all just stared at her. “We've all sat back and babied him. But I'm done just watching him lay there and not show some type of fucking emotion.” Sam said. Sam's eyes traveled over to the hallway and she stomped over to it. She reached up on a shelf and pulled down Justin's abandoned cell phone and tossed it at Brian. Brian and Sam just stared at each other. Brian calmly stood up.

 

“Before any of you say a fucking word, I'm telling you right now. I'm going upstairs. I'm done letting you all run the fucking shots. I've been running my own fucking life for quite some time now, and I'm perfectly capable of continuing to run it. If anyone has a problem with me not needing a babysitter anymore, then can walk out the fucking door and not come back.” Brian told them. They all just looked around at each other. Teresa took a step forward and put an arm around Daphne's shoulder, who had put her hand in front of her eyes.

 

“I am sure Gus wants to go hang out at my house with the puppies.” Teresa said. They slowly started walking towards the front door, when Sawyer leaned into Sam.

 

“Crabby pregnant wench!” he told her. She just chuckled. Brian slowly walked up the steps. It didn't hurt as bad as it did the other day, but it still hurt like hell. He slowly opened the door and looked into his bedroom. He gulped. At one point, he didn't think he'd ever see this room again that he shared with Justin. He shook his head. Stop being such a pussy. He didn't see Justin anywhere, so he went into the bathroom. Justin was just standing there. Leaning against the sink with his arms crossed. He was just staring.

 

“Justin.” Brian said.

 

I was sitting right in front of him. I was talking to him. But he was just looking right through me. He couldn't even see me. He was looking right through me. He was just...lost somewhere. I couldn't get him out of it.”

 

That was how Sawyer described it. But it was true. He said Justin's name again, and nothing. He stepped in front of him and put his hands on his shoulders. “Can you even hear me?” Brian asked. Justin made no movements again, and he did something he probably shouldn't do. He pushed him into the shower, and turned the water on ice cold. It took him moment, and then he jumped.

 

“What the...” Justin trailed off, going to shut the water off, but Brian stopped him.

 

“Snap out of it Justin.” Brian said loudly, shaking him.

 

“Brian?” Justin questioned. It was like he hadn't seen him in years. “You're alive?” Justin asked. It sent chills up Brian's spine. And it wasn't because the water was freezing cold. Justin stared at him. Holy shit. There was something wrong with Justin. He turned the water to warm.

 

“I'm ok Justin. You knew that. You saw me.” Brian said. But Justin just stared at him. He didn't understand what he was saying. Brian didn't know what to do, for one of the first times in his life. He took his and Justin's clothes off. It was like bathing a child really. He had to do everything. Brian was at a loss for words. He took his time in the shower with Justin. The more he kept touching Justin, the more it seemed like he was coming back. He was starting to melt into Brian's arms. He got him out of the shower and dried him off and sat him on the bed.

 

“Justin can you hear me?” Brian asked. Justin's eyes were hazy. Like he was exhausted. He was having a hard time focusing on Brian. But he slowly nodded his head. That was a good thing. He looked around. He needed to get out of this house. He needed to breathe some fresh air. “Ok come on. Let's get you dressed.” He helped him get dressed and then walked down the stairs. When they were about to turn for the back of the house, someone pounded on the door. “GO THE FUCK AWAY!” Brian yelled.

 

“This is the State Police. We need you to open the door!” the voice said. Again, Brian's body froze. The police? What the hell? He turned around and on the other side of the door were two West Virginia State Police. “Is Justin Kinney here?” the first officer asked. Oh God. He beat the shit out of Craig. Oh fuck how was he going to get Justin out of this? He couldn't fuck his way out of this. The other officer nudged the door for it to open all the way. Brian just turned around and stared at Justin. He wasn't understanding what he was looking at.

 

“Justin Kinney. You're under arrest for assault and battery.” the second officer said as they made their way into the house. He couldn't do anything. All he could do was stand by and helplessly watch as they arrested Justin. And read him his rights.

 

“Do you understand?” the first officer asked.

 

“No he doesn't understand. He's not mentally ok.” Brian said.

 

“Sir, you need to step out of the way.” the second officer said. He scoffed and stepped aside. Everyone had been in his fucking house and telling him what to fucking do. Now these assholes come in and just take Justin? They asked him again if he understood.

 

“He had a fucking brain injury. He doesn't understand you.” Brian said again. They didn't acknowledge Brian. He stood in front of the door. “Listen to me. He had a brain injury a few years back, and he hit his head recently. His father broke into this house and tried to kill him, me and his son. He's not ok, and he doesn't understand you.” Brian told him. The officers looked at each other.

 

“Alright Sir. We hear you. But we still have a job to do. We have to take him down to the police station. You're welcome to follow us.” the officer said a little less rougher. Brian ran a hand through his hair, and then stepped forward and put his hands on Justin's face.

 

“Justin look at me!” Brian told him. Justin's eyes looked at him. “Don't say anything alright. I'll get Melanie, and we'll get you out ok. Just relax and stay calm-” he was cut off by them taking him out. They walked down the driveway and put him into the back of the car. God this was the second fucking time he had been arrested. Well, third time now. “FUCK!” He yelled and grabbed his keys and got into his car. He called Melanie.

 

“Hi Brian. How are you?” Lindsay asked as she picked up the phone.

 

“Tell Melanie to get her ass down to the police station right fucking now. And neither of you say a God damned word.” Brian told her. It took a moment for Lindsay to respond.

 

“The police station? Why-?”

 

“Craig is pressing charges. He can't fucking sleep there. He's not ok! So get her down there now. And no one else can know.” Brian said and hung up. Oh God when was the last time he had pain killers? He got to the police station and demanded to see Justin and or post his bail. He had just gotten there himself, and he wasn't processed. Melanie had gotten there about 15 minutes later.

 

“Have you seen him?” Melanie asked.

 

“These fuckers said he's not processed yet.” Brian said as he was pacing.

 

“Ok let me get back there.” Melanie said. She went to walk past him, but Brian pulled her back.

 

“He can't sleep here tonight. There's something wrong with him and I...I don't know how to fix it.” Brian admitted. Melanie was also at a loss for words. “He just can't sleep here tonight.” Brian told her. She nodded her head.

 

“I won't let that happen?” Melanie said. She walked up to the desk. “I need to go in and see Justin Kinney. I'm his attorney” Mel said. They let her back, and all Brian could do was wait. And wait. And wait. He waited for over two hours before Melanie came out. “Alright. As long as you post his bail he's free to leave.” Melanie said tiredly. He nodded his head and did just that. He didn't care how much it was. He came back to Melanie and they sat their and waited.

 

“Listen. I care about Justin. I love him. He's one of me and Lindsay's best friends. And he's Gus' other father.” Melanie said wearily. Brian slowly looked at her. “Something's wrong with him Brian. He needs help. One of the cops is a friend of mine and I begged her to ask her boss not to send him to Psych” Mel said. Brian's eyes furrowed. “They thought something was mentally wrong with him. And maybe something is. But I'll be damned if I don't get him out of here tonight. And you can hate me all you want. But you have to do something for him. Because that's not Justin in there. He looks right through you.” she said and shivered. He would never admit to her that she was right. He scrubbed his face. What the fuck was he going to do?

 

They had to wait almost another hour before Justin was released. He walked out, and it was nothing. Justin saw nothing. Justin heard nothing. Justin wasn't even there. Brian hugged him and kissed the top of his head. “Let's get out of here Sunshine.” Brian said. He directed him to the car. He had no emotion. Fuck. What was he supposed to do? This was bad. This was really fucking bad. He brought Justin into the house and put him in bed. Justin just laid there. He couldn't do this. He couldn't handle this. He went into his drawer rolled a joint. He rolled a few of them and then went downstairs and out onto the porch. It was freezing outside. But he didn't fucking care.

 

“You ok?” Sawyer asked from his seat on the porch. Brian jumped.

 

“Jesus Christ!” Brian yelled.

 

“You're never jumpy. What's wrong?” Sawyer asked. Brian sat down.

 

“I don't know how to fix this. I can't fix this.” Brian admitted. He took a long drag. Letting the weed fill his lungs. God just make him numb. He took a few more drags. Thank God he rolled a few joints. He was gonna need all of them. “This isn't like before. He was at least...there. He has no fucking idea what's going on around him. He thinks I'm dead.” he growled. He look down at his fingers. He already went through one joint. “DAMNIT!” he yelled and threw the joint. He started lighting another one.

 

“Just calm down-”

 

“I'm not going to fucking calm down. I was just fucking shot. I died in the fucking ambulance. My heart fucking stopped beating and I was dead.” Brian told him. Sawyer rubbed his face. That wasn't easy for him to hear. “My son almost died. He easily could have been shot. And why? BECAUSE OF JUSTIN'S FUCKING FATHER!” Brian screamed. Damn. He went through another whole joint again. How was that even possible? He threw the second one, and started on his third one.

 

“Brian maybe screaming isn't the best idea. Your neighbors-”

 

“Fuck the neighbors.” he said and took minute to smoke his joint. “His fucking father is that cause of all of this. This all his fucking fault.” Brian growled.

 

“Well yeah. That's true. It is his fault.”

 

“My whole fucking life is a mess right now. And it's all his damn fault. He caused all of this.” Brian said. He and Sawyer sat there in silence. Long enough for him to finish his third joint and go to light the fourth one, when Sawyer grabbed it.

 

“This isn't going to help. You'll be too high to be able to help Justin.” Sawyer said as he grabbed his weed and the lighter. Brian laughed.

 

“I was sober and couldn't help Justin. Unless I wanna send him to a mental hospital. Because I don't fucking know what to do to help him.” Brian growled. He scrubbed his face with his hands.

 

“I don't think you need to go that far. Maybe he just needs to talk with someone.” Sawyer said. Sawyer's phone beeped and he picked it up and looked at it. He snorted and put it back down.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“Sam has been texting my phone non-stop. She's hungry. Shocker.” Sawyer said and rolled his eyes. He cleared his throat. “I don't think Justin needs a mental hospital. But I think he does need to talk with someone. This isn't something you can just do on your own. No matter how fucking stubborn you are. Sometimes you have to admit when you need some help.” Sawyer said. Brian looked at him.

 

So what made you change your mind?” Brian asked.

 

A man needs to know when to ask for help.” Justin said.

 

God Justin was right. He needed help with this one. He'd have to do something. “Where's your fat sister?” Brian asked, trying to change the subject. Talk about something else. Sawyer snorted.

 

“Over at Teresa's. I'm actually staying across the street. I just came back out here actually because I left my laptop here. It's been out on the porch all day. It felt nice working out here on the porch. But it's fucking freezing out here now.” he chuckled. Brian nodded his head. “I think those dogs like me better then everyone now. They've been following me every where I go. George is hobbling around with that fucking cast.” Sawyer said as he stood up. He put his hand on Brian's shoulder. “Everything's going to be ok. Craig's in jail. He can't hurt Justin anymore. But Justin has to realize that for himself.” Sawyer said. Brian nodded and Sawyer walked down the steps and around the front of the house to go back across the street. Brian stayed out there a little while longer. When he came back in, he was startled to see Justin downstairs.

 

“Justin?” Brian asked. Justin jumped and turned. “What are you doing?” Brian asked. He turned the hall light on, and realized Justin was dressed and heading to the front door. With a duffle bag in his hand. “What the fuck are you doing?” Brian demanded. Justin rubbed his face.

 

“I wanted to leave before you saw me...I just...I'm sorry Brian.” Justin whispered.

 

“What the fuck are you talking about? You have no reason to be sorry.”

 

“YOU ALMOST DIED!” Justin screamed. Tears started falling down his face. It was the first time Justin was showing emotion though. He didn't know if that was good or bad. “You almost died. You have a bullet wound on your body. Your heart stopped beating, and you died. Gus almost died. And it was all my fault.” he cried. What? The? Fuck?

 

“Where the hell did you get that idea from?”

 

“It's my fault. None of this bad shit would happen if I wasn't around.” Justin cried. Brian scoffed.

 

“That's a load of bullshit. If that were true I wouldn't be here. You wouldn't be here. You're not some cosmic magnet for bad luck. Where the hell is this shit coming from?” Brian demanded. Brian wondered if Justin had overheard him yelling on the porch. But he was clearly talking about craig.

 

“My father came after me. He put you and Gus in danger. I can't let that happen again. I won't let that happen again. I can't stay here.” Justin cried. Oh this fucking drama princess. Justin went for the door, and Brian reached forward and snatched his duffle bag out of his hands and threw it far down the hallway and into the kitchen.

 

“No. it doesn't work like that. You don't just get to fucking walk out that door. You've left me twice now. And both those times I fucking deserved it ok? But not this time. You got exactly what you wanted. We got married Justin. I didn't do that out of obligation, I did it because I fucking love you. It's not something that were just gonna fuck around with. We did it. Now we're in all this bullshit together. So you don't get to fucking walk out that door and leave me like the other two times. I've done nothing wrong this time. In fact, I've done everything right. So you're gonna stay here and deal with this.” Brian yelled at him. Justin was stunned.

 

“I'm not going anywhere. And neither are you.” Brian said. He pulled Justin toward him to hug him before he had a chance to argue. Justin cried.

 

“I can't do this anymore. I'm not in control of anything. What am I gonna do?” Justin cried into his chest.

 

“You're gonna go to sleep Justin. And tomorrow, I'll figure out what we're gonna do. I promise you.” Brian said.