Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian:


"Why do you think I've met someone?" I asked her, trying to gain some time to think a good excuse.


"Because yesterday you could have cared a damn what I thought of you, now you want to be my friend" she glared suspiciously. At least she didn't call me asshole, it's an improvement. I thought "Tell me what's going on!" she demanded, glare still in place.


"Well..." then an idea occurred to me. I raised my hand, in a sign to tell her to wait, and then took my phone out of my pocket. When I finally found what I was looking for, I passed it to her. I almost laughed at how her eyes widened when she looked at the picture. After all, it's difficult to catch her by surprise "That is James Victor Kinney, aka Hunter. He's a victim of abuse by the hands of her mother... like me. I adopted him" I told her.


"That's why you disappeared for a couple of weeks" she said softly, almost to herself. Eyes never leaving the screen of my phone.


"I now know what it is to be a father Mel. I stopped taking drugs, I made a promise to myself to never get drunk again- I won't be like my parents-, I am trying to cut down how much I smoke and I won't trick anymore" that got her to look at me. If she was surprised before, she is frozen in shock now. Jaw hanging, eyes wide open and an incredulous expression on her face "It isn't fair for Hunter to have a parade of men coming in and out of the loft. What I am trying to say is that I changed, and I can't imagine myself giving you my sperm to then not be in my so... child's life. I hope you understand that, Mel. And know that I would never try to take them away from you. You would have as much right to them, as Lindsey and I" I tried to convince her.


Melanie:


I deviated my eyes towards the screen of the phone, I couldn't continue looking into his earnest hazel eyes and keep thinking of him as the asshole I know and hate. But as I keep on looking at the picture of the smiling little boy, in the arms of Brian... I could only think of the possibilities I could give to my child. We chose one of the members of our mismatched family because we wanted our child to have their father in their life. However, now I understand that by doing that I am just being cruel by making them see their child each day and not have any rights about them. I am making my worst nightmare come true for others. I didn't want that...


And if Brian is telling the truth- who I am kidding the asshole always is honest, even if it hurts like a bitch sometimes- then he is becoming father material. I look at the picture again and was surprised once more by the tenderness in Brian's eyes, I've never seen him like this. Well, children do change your life. I imagined having a son and... I wanted this for him. I wanted him to be in his father's arms, smiling happily without care of the world and him having someone to look at him with so much love and care. Someone who won't judge him or turn his back to him... not like my father did to me. Brian can give him that... also, we still have him most of the week. So what are three days in exchange of my child's happiness?


Well, I still have three months to think about it. I thought calmly, feeling as if a weight has been taken from my shoulders.


"I will arrange our session with the psychologists and the couples counsellor. I hate to admit it, but you are right about us having problems, and they have to be fixed before my... our child comes to the world" the hopeful look I saw in his eyes, the one he tried to hide, made me see that I've taken the right decision "Now I have to get to my wife and demand to know why the hell she never told me that we owe you money!" I growled angrily, for once said anger being directed to the right person.


I also made a mental note to pass by the bank and make a transfer to Brian's account. I have been saving some money for a while to buy us a good house, but then Brian Fucking Kinney came and had to be the hero. Now I see that things weren't as I thought they were. And I have to make things right, starting by paying my dues.


"Don't worry about the money Mel, pay me whenever you can" his words made me feel even guiltier, how many times did I make him a villain when he just wanted to help a friend out.


"No, Brian. I worry, because Lindsey can't keep on acting like this. Things should be right, and I am going to start doing that today" with that promise I stood up and left the deli, heading towards my house to have a long conversation with my wife.


-The following day-


Emmett:


"Thank goodness you are so obsessed with your clothes Emmy!" exclaimed a very relieved Ted, as he slumped on the seat in front of me. We were in our usual booth at the dinner "The cops were all over the place yesterday. if you haven't been so upset because you lost your favorite pair of boots that we had to stay in your apartment, so you could mourn their loss, we would have been arrested like many were" I hid my smile behind my cup of tea. Teddy could be so adorable sometimes! "Do you think that Michael got into trouble?" he asked me concerned.


I had to use my best acting abilities, not to bark at him, and tell him to not worry for the bastard. But a scowl slipped away when I noticed that he didn't even asked about Brian. I really had to start making him see that Brian isn't the bad one here, even if I call him Big Bad.


"You know that Brian would have protected him" I lied through my teeth, knowing that just like me he would have left him to rot in that cell for eternity for what he did to Baby "He is always there for his friends, for the gang" I said next, seeing how the scowl of jealousy change into an expression if guilt. Good, my conversations with him are starting to work "Have you thought about Brian's offer?"


"Yeah... why did he even chose me?" he demanded to know.


"Because he isn't the asshole we thought he was, he knows that you are the best accountant that's out there. He believes in you and your abilities, he... we just want you to start believing in yourself as well" I answered him.


"Since when are you Team Brian?" he asked cofused.


"Since when are you Team Hater?" I replied smoothly, dodging the question. Especially since the answer is very complex "What has Brian ever done to you Teddy?"


"He has Michael wrapped around his finger and treats him as shit" he grumbled.


"You know that's not true!" I snapped at him, making him jump slightly. Surprised, since I never use this kind of tone, ever "Brian treats him as a brother, he treats him better than anyone. Just because he doesn't want to fuck him, it doesn't mean he is bad. He never led him on, he always made sure to let us all know that he has never fucked friends and tells Michael that he has always been the brother he never had. If he wishes to stay in dream world, do not blame Brian for that. Michael is still hanging on that incomplete handjob, one that Brian never gave a hint he wanted to finish. Don't make him a villain because you are jealous of him"


"It's that he has everything!" He complained, making me lose my patience.


"Because he worked for everything!" I snapped at him "He worked hard for his scholarship so he could go to college, he worked hard to be in the place he is now at work- he did that by taking chances and not letting anything get between him and his dreams. He is very handsome, it has a lot to do with genes, but also because he takes care of his body a lot. You know how healthy his food is and how much work and time he puts on his body, every time he is at the gym. You cannot hate him for having what you don't, when you don't even work for it. You want to be wanted, to stop feeling inferior to Brian, to not be invisible? Work for it! It won't just fall from the skies, it won't come only because you keep on waiting. If you continue thinking like that you'll just end up like Debby and Michael, behind while the rest moves on with their lives" at the end of my speech I was panting, feeling lighter after saying all that. No wonder why Brian is always an asshole, saying what one thinks without the censor you put to not make the other feel bad is... relieving. By the look of pure shock on my friend's face, I must have overdone it a bit "Look Teddy, I don't want to be the bad guy here... but you need to stop seeing Brian as the one that keeps you from shining and take chances. That's how you become great, that's how you get what you want"


"How do I do that?" He asked softly, looking at the cup between his hands.


"Give your notice at work and accept Brian's offer. Then watch him, watch the Brian he is at work. Then you'll see him in a whole new way. You'll see how hardworking, he truly is, then you'll slowly stop making him the villain of your life and you'll be able to live yours" I responded, smiling when he flashed me a grateful smile.


"What can I get you guys?" Kiki asked.


"Where is Debby?" Teddy asked, confused, but I already knew the answer.


"She is at the police station, Michael was arrested yesterday for possession of drugs and being in Babylon when the police appeared" she answered, I knew that she tried to sound sad but in reality she was happy for that. It was no secret that she hates Michael... just like at least half Liberty.


"What about Brian? I thought you said he would be there to help him out" he accused me. I sighed, hating how much fixated he was on Michael. The bastard didn't deserve someone as good as Ted.


"Let me check" I told him, taking my phone out and acting as if I was checking my messages "Damn it! Brian sent me a text telling me that his boss surprised him with a late business meeting for a big account. He couldn't say no, he told us to not mind him and to get our dicks sucked" I lied "Also, no one will be able to contact him the whole day. His schedule is full with meetings"


"Ah, nothing for me Kiki. I have to get to the police station and bail Michael out. He already spent a night in a cell, I don't think he deserves another one" Ted sighed, putting some money on the table for the coffee.


If you only knew how much that bastard deserves to be in jail, I thought sadly as I watched him leave the dinner.


Justin (The one you've all waited for. He is back!):


I couldn't calm my beating heart, no matter how much I tried, as I entered the elevator and marked the floor number I was given at the front desk. It is true what they say, the third time's the charm. After being refused the intership two times, I was finally given the opportunity. I always liked advertising, I planned on going to Carnegie Mellon to study Graphic Arts so I could work with the art team of a company like this. But after being rejected twice I began feeling as if I wasn't made for it, if this time I wouldn't have been chosen I would have given up on this dream and I would have just been aspiring to be a normal artist. Luckily, that didn't happen, and now I can learn so much from this internship. I even get to graduate a year early! How cool is that?! No more discriminatory teachers or Chris Hobbes to worry about!


"Hi, how can I help you?" A pretty blonde woman asked me with a kind smile.


"My name is Justin Cole Taylor, I am the intern from St. James highschool. I received a mail the other day, notifications me that my presence was requested this afternoon" I answered, never been more grateful at the WASP lessons my mother gave me since I learned how to talk and walk "If I am not wrong this is Mr. Kinney's office. Or I am incorrect? This is the first time in the building so I don't know my way around here"


"You are right" she assured me, when she snapped out of her shock. I wasn't even surprised, it happens a lot. No one expects someone so young to be so polite "What a polite boy" she praised, making me blush slightly "My name is Cynthia and I am Mr. Kinney's personal assistant. At the moment he is busy in a meeting, but as soon as he is finished I will let him know you are here. You are early by the way"


"Yes, the teacher we had during the last block was absent so we were allowed to leave early. I thought I could come by, so i wouldn't be late. If there is a place I could sit and wait until Mr. Kinney is ready to attend me" I replied.


"Of course, over there..." she pointed at a sofa and some chairs at the right of the room, where a little boy was drawing calmly. Surely the kid of one of the employees "... you can sit there. If... if Hunter reacts badly to you, just inform me and keep your distance. Ok?" I nodded my head, confused as to why she was being so cautious.


"Hi little man" I greeted him, once I've smitten next to him on the sofa "What are you drawing?" He stopped what he was doing to look at me. I was taken back by the intensity in his eyes, and by the fear I saw glimmers in his blue orbs- one that he tried to hide.


"Who are you?" He demanded to know, once again, I was surprised by his reaction. His tone was harsh and untrusting, nothing like what a little boy should sound as.


"Justin, my name is Justin" I answered, smiling brightly. Understanding why Cynthia was so worried "What about you?"


"My daddy told me to never give my name to strangers" he told me, still looking in my eyes for something. What, I don't know.


"Your daddy is a very smart man then" I replied, gaining a smile from him.


"Yes, he is! My daddy is the best of the best!!!" He exclaimed happily, going back to his drawing.


"Is that who you are drawing? Your daddy?" I questioned, going down on the floor next to the Hunter so I would be closer to the table in front of the sofa.


"Yep! He is my hero, so I wanted to show him that. I am trying to do a comic about how he saved me from mommy" he said it so easily, as if being saved from your own mother was a normal thing. My heart ached for this little boy, who seems o have gone through a lot in such a short life. Then I made a decision of trying to make him happy, at least a bit in this little time we have now.


"Let me help me then!" I told him, ready to work. Not expecting the reaction I got from him at all.