Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian:


A few months had passed since Michael was sentenced to prison, many things have changed. The most noticeable is that we now live in New York. The penthouse Sunshine, Hunter and I share is beautiful and spacious- with many windows to let the light in... like the three of us seem to prefer. Mel accepted my deal and began working for me, there were setback now and then, but at the end of the day we are family and they always managed to solve things. Lindsay, after a year off after Gus's birth, found a job teaching in Hunter's school and she even is scheduled to give a few seminars at Pratt. She was living her dream with her family and couldn't be happier.


Hunter... well, that's a topic I am still worried about. After everything he went through, he has more stiches than we can handle. We tried to be there for him, but he clings to us and is refusing to grow up. His behaviour is not normal for a boy his age. It broke out heart trying to distance ourselves from him but no extreme was good and he has to be more independent. We are talking about that with his psychologist. The fact of soon being a big brother helped. He was delighted with his little brother and swore he would be the best big brother- which meant starting to grow up. But baby steps for now, only.


We (Linds, Mel and I) finally convinced Justin to sign the papers that made him Gus' legal guardian, next to Mel. He was going to raise him with me and we would always be together, so why wait? That same day we also changed our wills, making it so if anything happened to us Lindsay and Mel would become Hunter's legal guardians.


Not even a month after we moved to New York Vic was offered a very good job in one of the Big Apple's finest restaurants- though, I believe that's because of the good word Mother Taylor put for him with one of her connections. The next thing I am being told, by a very excited- to say the least- Emmy Lou, is that Vic proposed to Ronnie after telling I'm the good news and they were having a wedding in New York. Soon after they finished moving. I will never admit it out loud that I had a few tears when Vic asked me to be his best man.  


The ceremony itself was simple, much to Emmett's disappointment as the wedding planner. However, the hot topic of the night weren't Vic and Ronnie. No, it was George's proposal to Emmy Lou after my friend caught the bouquet. I was so sure he would refuse, after all Emmett knows better. He knows that George is going to die soon... but he surprised me when his answer was: YES!


I was furious with him, but less than a week afterwards Lindsay's water broke.


I've always held the fact that Melanie never called me until afterwards Gus' birth... now I wish I had never spoken. 


There is nothing worse for a man than to wait outside an hospital room for your son to be born.


Almost all of our family was there: Emmett, George, Ronnie, Vic, Blake, Ted and of course, Justin and I. Melanie was inside with Lindsay, she wouldn't leave her wife in such a situation. Daphne, Chris, Jennifer, Molly and many of Vic's friends from the Avenue had already returned to Pittsburg. Though, Jen was booking a flight here as soon as she can to meet her second grandson and bringing Molly with her. Daphne and Chris had to attend an important party for the Hobb's company and will be traveling back to New York in a week or so.


A baby's cry snapped me out of my train of thoughts, I looked up from my lap and almost glared at the door- imploring for it to open and give us the good news. As if he had been called a nurse left the room and walked towards our colourful and mismatched group and asked:


"Marcus-Peterson family?"


"Yes!" I was the first one to regain my speech.


"Congratulations!" he greeted me, with a big and warm smile "It's a healthy baby boy!"


"Oh! THANK GOD!" I exclaimed, almost rushing by the nurse and barging inside the hospital- of course, dragging Justin behind me. The scene that greeted me was so familiar it almost hurt "Hey..." was all I could say, watching my perfect Sonny Boy suck his little finger as he sleeps soundly against his mother's chest.


"Hey, Peter. Say hi to our son: Gus Taylor Marcus Peterson-Kinney" Lindsay replied, with a vibrant smile that only new mothers could manage.


"That's a mouthful" I commented, but smiled happily that this time around they put Justin's and my name into Gus' certificate. Even if Justin and Mel's last names are only present in the form of second and third name "Hey, Sunshine, don't be a baby" I shushed when I noticed him crying against my shoulder "What first example of what a man should be are putting in front of Sonny Boy? That better by only allergies" I teased, nudging him gently.


We all laughed softly, not wanting to wake the sleeping baby up. When I was about to pick my son for the first time (not counting the prophecy) things just had to go to hell, and I thought I left all that behind in Pittsburg. 


Someone screaming for help outside our room, woke Gus up ruining my chances to carry him. It was only when I recognized the voice that my blood stopped boiling in anger and turned stone cold in fear.


No, Emmy Lou, no... was all I could think of, as I rushed out of the hospital room.


The scene I found almost made me throw up. My best friend laying above his fiancé's corpse as he cries his fragile heart out. 


There was nothing the doctors could do for George, it was already too late...


I had to pause my plans in New York and move for a period of a month back to Pittsburg. Emmett was like a zombie he barely ate or drank, his eyes lacked all light and the only color he wore was black. I hated myself for not being there for him the first time around, how selfish I acted in the prophecy and ignored Emmy Lou for my own simplistic problems. It did help when, during the burriel, George's lawyer came to us and informed us that Emmett was left everything his dead fiancé ever had.


It helped because Emmy Lou, being the golden heart person he is, used all that money to open a refuge for street children in dire need of help. Claiming that he already had a way to make a living and others would need that money more than him. He used George's mansion as their house. There they would live in peace, warm and fed. Being taken care by good people, who helped for no profit. They would get schooled, taught how to work and later be helped throughout college. These plans are the only reason why I deemed sure enough to return to New York, without him committing a stupidity. This idea he has will take a lot of his time and mind, he won't have the time to think about George's death and fall into depression again.