Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Author's Notes: Yes I know this is going to be my third Lucifer story and none of them are complete, but I'm updating them all so to answer the question why not? This one is inspired by a great song Devil Side by Foxes, you must check out that song. This story takes place after episode 2x13. May sure is a long ways to go.

Chapter 1: Run and Hide, It's Gonna Be Bad Tonight

They were on a case. She loved doing cases with Lucifer, but not anymore. Not after he pretty much tells her he loves her, saves her life, and oh yea leaves town for three months. Who does that kind of thing? She knew she must've been giving him the cold shoulder, but she had every right. He had broken her heart, and what made things worse, is he had come back, but he wasn't alone. Here they were trying to get a grip of the situation, and he was on the phone, this Candy was obviously a world scholar she thought to herself.

"Yes, you can have some. You do know that you don't have to call me for every little thing. My home is yours; you're welcomed to anything there sweetheart. Have a blast, and I'll see you when I get home." He replied.

He froze at the next words that came from the caller's mouth. He looked to the left as they drove up to the offices and noticed she was listening. He knew he hurt her, and he regretted it, but he was just looking at one side of the coin he supposed. He had to get her to understand, that he had realized that he was wrong, but she had something and was waiting patiently for an answer.

"You know I'm not one of endearments like that. I'm quite fond of you as well, I shall see you later." He hung up.

She tried to look away and hide the hurt, but she was no fool. She had told him that she loved him and wanted him to say it back. That didn't hurt, she was sure that they were tons of girls to tell him that they loved him on numerous occasions. The thing that made this hurt more was she was afraid that he might want to say it back.

"Now detective, explain to me what's going on here?" he asked as the exited the car.

"Tom Meyer was fired from his job here about two months ago. He said that the boss would never listen or accept his excuses when he would call in when he was unable to come to work." Chloe supplied.

"So what was the chaps excuse for not coming to work?"

"The devil was using him to run errands."

"Blasphemy! How dare he say this, I wasn't even in town. I run my own errands, and if I can't that's what I created Maze for. So he came back this morning trying to get his job back, what is going on in there for the FBI being called in?"

"Some say he is wearing some kind of device. They are afraid it might be some kind of bomb."

"So he tells them the devil made him do it, and the only way he can prove it is to blow them to smithereens? I'll have none of that."

They were just supposed to go there and help out with the crowd, she should've known that the moment she mention that he was somehow being blamed for this he would go off the cuff and enter the building. She may have missed the devil, but she didn't miss this. She took off after him.

*DS*

Tom Mayer didn't think today was going to come to this when he came down to his former job this morning, but he knew that it was a possibility. He just wanted his boss Drew to understand that he was a servant of the devil, and if he had things that needed to be done sometimes they were just more important than coming in and crunching numbers. That's why he had worn the vest because he knew if the cops were to be called they would shoot him before thinking about anything, he didn't want to be another statistic on the news, but he needed them to understand that things were just bigger.

"You understand right Drew; I didn't want to miss so much work. I had too." He explained.

"Yes Tom I do understand, why don't you put the gun down, and let the hostages go." Drew begged.

"Yes why don't you do just that?" Lucifer demanded entering the building.

"Who the hell are you? I told them

"You don't know? You have been holding these people hostage and giving the excuse that you couldn't make into work because somehow you had the honor of becoming my errand boy. I'm here to give you a reference. I'm Lucifer Bloody Morningstar and I can assure you I haven't seen this man in my life so you were more than correct in firing him."

"How dare you? I've seen the devil and you're not him. I've worked closely with him. You take it back right now?" he shouted pointing his gun at Lucifer.

Normally Lucifer would be laughing at this situation, but it was just at that moment that he noticed a certain detective had finally found her way into the offices. She didn't realize that she could literally be the death of him. It was time they sat down and had that conversation. They needed to have it a lot sooner than later.

"I'm bloody well am exactly who I say I am. I'm sorry if this appearance isn't appealing to you, but I don't have no I ever have horns or a tail!" he shouted walking closer to the man.

Chloe could see the man getting more and more agitated. He hadn't even noticed that she had gotten the remainder of the hostages to run towards the exit. He was so fixated on Lucifer and although it was a good thing, she didn't like how close he was getting to him with that gun.

"No he doesn't have horns or a tail. He's a man like you or me, but I don't know. It's like he's been burned, but a very long time ago. He's skin is now deep red and black in places. Like that guy from Star Wars. His voice is deep, but he's eyes are so gentle. He's a nice man, and he came to earth for a vacation, and for you to stand there and say you're him, that's the blasphemy.

It had happened so fast. Lucifer was trying to take in the true facts that this man seemed to know about him that it wasn't until he pulled the trigger that he knew what was going on. He reached his hand out to the man who had done it and when his eyes locked with the ring on his finger his whole persona changed.

"Master!" Tom shouted catching Lucifer as he fell.

Chloe had gotten most of the remaining hostages out, but was shocked when the boss had come running out after a shot was fired. She ran back in and the scene before her was confusing to say the least. Lucifer was lying in a pool of his own blood, but Tom Mayer who she knew without a shadow of doubt had shot him was clinging to him sobbing.

"What happened here?" she demanded.

"He never looked like this before. I didn't know that he could look like a human. Why didn't you tell me master?" Tom demanded.

Lucifer was jerking on the floor. He was trying to say something, and Chloe was afraid what it might be.

"What is it Lucifer?" she asked taking his hand.

"I need you to leave detective." he whimpered.

"I'm not leaving you, I just sent out for a bus it will be here soon. Just hold on okay, I just got you back." She replied.

"Detective I need you to leave. I don't know what's happening, and I assure I have no idea who this Tom chap is, but I can't hold it in. It's going to happen, and I need it to because I'm dying. I'm dying and I can't I can't leave you." He cried.

"What did you do?" she shouted daggers at Tom.

"He should've told me. He only talks to me in my dreams. I didn't know he could change his face, I didn't know he could be human! Are they coming? Will they be able to help him?" he demanded.

"Yes the doctors will fix this. Just hold on Lucifer, hold on."

"I can't hold it in, the pain is too much." He sobbed.

Chloe was frightened when his eyes rolled into the back of his head, his body going limp shortly after. She was about to cry out to him, but right before her eyes his body morphed into some burned figure that she didn't have any way of explaining. She had gasped and crawled away before she realized, and even though she wanted to be with him so badly and she was leaving him with a criminal she ran away as fast as she could.

End Notes: Should I continue?