Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

>

The Holiday Engagement Part 5

Dinner was pleasant.    They all had passed food around, and Justin told them of stories of his college years, and how working with Brian could be both fun and irritating.    Everyone listened as they bickered and went on and on about who was in charge in the relationship.   It was refreshing, and like old times.   Everyone was really starting to warm for the two, but there was one who couldn’t keep the smirk from their face.    He just couldn’t believe how wrong he was, and for once he was glad.

Flashback

“I can’t believe you are here!” Emmett shrieked as he pulled Justin from the crosswalk.

“Emmett, I can’t believe it.  So, what brings you to New York?” Justin asked looking around.

Emmett took in Justin and he didn’t know what to say.   Justin had put on some weight, but in all the right places.   

Gone was his luscious blonde locks, and they were replaced with a darker look it somehow worked on him.    Then he had a nice pair of glasses, he looked smarter, but he cringed when he thought of the reason for them.

“I got accepted to college here, I’m getting my degree in the arts, and a minor in marketing, but enough about me what are you doing here?” he asked knowingly.

“Well you know how it is, I got to get to New York if I wanna see a broadway show and Teddy decided that we would make a weekend of it.”

“Oh, I thought you might been here helping Brian with his move.” He smirked.

“Honey, what you told me last year, you can’t be serious?”

“Of course, I’m serious.   He woke up alone from that coma, I know that you think he didn’t because all of you were there but something was missing.   ME!”

“Good for you baby, so what did he say when you told him about the two of you?   He hasn’t mentioned anything.”

“He doesn’t know, I had it all figured out.   Once I saw that we had ended up in the same place again, I knew that it was meant for us to be together Em.   I don’t know how I’m going to do it, but I’m going to get him back.   Even if I have to make him fall in love with me all over again.”

“You go baby, I promise I’ll keep your secret for now.”

End Flashback

The day was winding down and Brian was a little hurt that Michael hadn’t come yet.   Everyone was warming up to Justin though, which was good.   He liked Justin, and now being in this environment with him he was starting to like him even more.   He was such the perfect boyfriend, why couldn’t this be real?   It was almost like he knew him, and it wasn’t just the stuff that he had learned from being his friend, it seemed deeper.

“Hey mom, when is Michael going to get here?” Brian asked.

Debbie still smiled every time he called her that.   Sure, he still called her Deb from time to time, but she was his mother.    She had no clue where his real mother was, she hadn’t been seen since the trial.   She did the recall the first time she realized he thought of her as his mother.

Flashback

Debbie hadn’t been able to sleep all night.     She had fed Vic, but something was still pulling at her all night, that’s why she found herself at the hospital.    Something told her that Brian needed her.   That little pang became reality, when she rounded the corner, and found a lot staff coming out of his room.   She could hear him yelling from the doorway.

“What’s going on in there?” Deb asked the first person in passing.

“He woke up freaked, I didn’t know about his past with hospitals, not until it was already too late.”

“Too late for what?”

“He kept asking for his mother, so we went to the forms and we called her.”

“No, you didn’t I’ve been at home all night, and no one called me.    I sat by the phone all night, no one called me.”

“You were the second name, we called his real mother a Joan Kinney.”

“Did she come down here?    What did she say to him?    The doctors said that he couldn’t be told about the things that have gotten him here in this situation.   What did she say to him?”

“We didn’t expect for her to be that way, I mean she’s his mother, but she just came in here and try to tell him about what happened with that guy and he didn’t remember any of it.   Then she told him he was going to hell, and he kept on calling for his mother, but she was right there.    Then the guys came in, and helped me restrain him.”

“What?”

Debbie hadn’t ran so fast in a long time to get to a room.    When she got there the sight before her eyes, made her want to cry.   He had given up the fight, he was just lying there letting the tears run down his battered face.

“Oh sweetheart, it’s alright.” She whispered.       :

“Mom.” He called out to her brokenly.

“I knew you needed me.    I always told you I would come when you needed me.” She told him as she began to take the restraints from his wrists.    She didn’t give a damn if anyone said a thing.

Once he was no longer restrained his arms melted around her neck.    He clung to her like a lifeline, and she was transported back to the time he would come to her terrified after one of the many beatings from his father.    The doctor had told her that his emotions would be all over the place, and she had witnessed more than a few of his recent mood swings.    He was so scared now, and she wanted to make him feel better anyway she could.

“I can’t find it.” He whispered into her chest.

“What?” she asked concerned.

“I know something is wrong with me.   I’ve forgotten something, but I didn’t forget that what you said.   You said…..

“I said that I’d take care of you.   Always, I’m your mom do you hear me.  ME!”

“I know mom that’s why I told them to call you, but they called her instead.”

“Don’t worry about her, she doesn’t matter.”

“Mom, what have I forgotten, what’s missing?”

“Don’t worry about that now.”

End Flashback

“Mom!” Brian shouted bringing Deb back to the now.

“Sorry, it still well I still like to hear you call me that sweetie.   I called Michael, and he’ll be here soon.” Deb added.

“Now I think we talk about sleeping arrangements.  Brian--
“Deb I still have the loft, I’m going to go there tonight.” Brian cut her off.

“Nonsense, you are not getting away from me that easily.    It’s not the first night the two of you have slept under my roof.” She stated.

Like that everything in the room stopped.   Debbie realized what she said the moment it left her tongue, but how could she save face?    She had already done the one thing she told Justin that she wouldn’t.   He had warned them, warned them all.

“Well Mrs. Novotny I don’t know how many of Brian’s past boyfriends stayed the night, but I’m sure I have never stayed over.” He stated.

“No worries Sunshine, she must be confusing me with her other son.   Come on, I’ll show you and Pepper where we’re sleeping.” He took him by the hand and led him up the stairs.

 

*HE*

Everyone waited until they heard the click of the door leading upstairs, when they all started chatting at once.

“How the fuck does he expect us to just pretend like we don’t know him?” Mel shouted.

“Easy, we owe him this.” Emmett chimed in.

“Why do we owe him this?” Lindsay asked.

“They needed each other, we all know that.   None of us can sit here and not think that keeping the two of them apart was a mistake.    Not only to Brian, but what about Justin.    He lost everything that nice.   Iunderstand what it meant to have a gay son.    She didn’t want him around us, and as her mother we had to turn him away every time he showed up.   Why?   We were afraid of prosecution, we were afraid of Brian find out, but really, we all couldn’t believe what had happened.   A guy that we all pretty much told every day he was an uncaring asshole had put all on the line for something important, and what did it get him?    A bat to the head and scrambled eggs for brains.    We all pretend we did the right thing, and we walk around smiling in his face, but we screwed those two.   It’s Christmas and far time we start making amends.” Vic spoke sternly.

“Okay fine, we all abide by Justin’s rule, but we’re forgetting one thing?” Lindsay smirked.

“What?” Ted asked.

“What happens when Michael gets here and sees Justin?’” Lindsay almost laughed.

“Oh.” Was all Debbie could muster up.

The room got completely silent realizing that revelation.

 

*HE*

It was like coming home when Justin followed Brian into that familiar room.    Even the Captain Astro curtains still hung to the wall.    He couldn’t stop the grin that was forming on his lips which wasn’t good.   He had to look at these things like he hadn’t seen them before, but then still on the wall was a picture of Brian that he knew he’d drawn still sat their he couldn’t help but gasp.

“Wow, Brian you told me lots of things about Michael, but you never told me he could draw?” he pointed to the drawing playing ignorant.

“Oh, funny story, you know the year I had my accident, well Deb took in some kid.”

“Oh well you know Debbie she always takes care of her kids, where is he now?”

“I don’t know, as I said in the year of my accident so I don’t remember, and it’s a crime if anyone tells me anything about that year I’m going to break I mean it’s practically been ten years I can’t still be that fragile, can i?”

“He had to be important though right, I mean from what you told me Deb take in kids and I don’t see you posing for just anybody.”

“You think I posed for this, Justin I told you I wasn’t a very caring person, and besides everyone loves me.   I probably just blew some kid in the backroom and he developed a crush.   Might’ve gotten myself a stalker, maybe that’s why they don’t mention him.”

Justin was about to say something smart, but he turned and looked at Brian, and that’s when he noticed something off.   Brian had stopped talking, he was sort of just looking around the room, but he knew he wasn’t seeing the here and now, he was remembering something, but what?

“Brian?” He asked unable to keep the question and worry out of his voice.

 

Brian’s mind was jumbled mess.    He didn’t exactly understand what was going on.   They were so many feelings coming at him from all directions.   He was trying to remember what all the therapists had said, but with each passing emotion it was getting harder and harder to paste them together.   Then there was a memory, a memory of a boy who looked so much like Justin, only he was blonde and in this room with him.    They had kissed and….

“Brian, are you alright?” he heard Justin ask again.

When he looked in his eyes he didn’t know what came over him.   He grabbed him and kissed him.    It was like a fog was being lifted, it was like coming home and yet he never knew he was lost.   He always wondered what it would be like to kiss him, and now he was kissing him, but what was more important was that he seemed to be kissing him back, but then he realized that this couldn’t happen he had family.

“Brian?” Justin asked breathlessly.

“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he left the room quickly.

 

Lindsay and Melanie were putting up the rest of Deb’s leftovers when Brian came storming down the steps like a madman.

“What’s your problem?” Melanie shouted.

“Not now bitch!” he retorted in passing.

They both looked at each other wondering what going on, but they got an answer when Justin came running after.   He was halfway outside, but then he must’ve realized something and stopped.

“Where’s Pepper?”

“Debbie wanted to give the two of you some time alone, so she took her up with her.   Is everything alright?” Lindsay asked.

“Like you really give a fuck!
“Hey!   I don’t know what is going on between the two of you, but I will not let you talk to her that way.” Mel demanded.

It was in vain Justin was already gone.

 

Michael had been driving for hours, and all he wanted to do was get into his bed, well a bed and get some sleep.    He just needed to get some sleep, and whatever drama was coming this Christmas he would deal with, right now he just wanted to get Ben and JR inside.    He saw the front door fly open and who he saw next, well he knew things were about to get way interesting.

“Justin!” he asked in disbelief.

“I’m so glad you’re here Michael.” Justin hugged Michael clinging to him for dear life.

“It’s fine Justin, we are going to finally put things right, we should’ve done this ages ago.”

End notes: I know right.   This was all over the place and more.  I hope that you like it even though I’m starting not to like it.   More next Monday I suppose.   Feedback is love.