Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 9: DEFENCE

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

"Definitely a lot more kissing."  I murmur before his warm mouth covers mine.  God this man can kiss!  I feel a frisson of pleasure as he sucks my tongue into his mouth and starts to deepen the kiss.

 

 

 

SLICK'S WORKSHOP

 

 

 

SLICK

 

 

 

They've been in there for 20 minutes and we're going to lose the light. As happy as I am that they've met, he's supposed to be working on the car.  Time to be a boss...heading upstairs I rap sharply on the door.

 

 

 

"Justin come on."  I call.  "Brian needs to see the car and it's best in daylight."

 

 

 

The door opens and a sheepish but thoroughly kissed Brian and Justin come out. I say nothing but wave them ahead.  "Just in case,"  I tease and get a finger from Brian.

 

 

 

We head through the workshop and out to the court where the car is currently sitting with Mac setting up for a third coat, which I think it needs. Brian's very particular, as we all know, and Justin is looking nervous, starting to bite his lip.

 

 

 

He circles the car inspecting it thoroughly and quietly.  "I think two more coats should do it."  He declares and smiles at Justin.  "Not bad for a first time, not bad at all."

 

 

 

Justin lets out the breath he was holding and puts on the safety equipment and gets back to work as Brian and I head to the office.

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

"So did you miss him?"  I tease earning yet another finger.  "Seriously, two fingers in one day; surely you can do better than that."  He pokes his tongue out instead before grinning and nodding.  "Good I'm glad."

 

 

 

I wave a bottle of Beam at him and he nods.  "Look, about Debs and Carl - the cop - she'll be fine. He's a good man."  He quirks an eyebrow.  "Known him for about 12 years, straight as they come but does sometimes need an attitude adjustment. He doesn't understand the gay lifestyle but I think Debs is the one to teach him..."

 

 

 

"How'd he end up on Liberty Avenue then?"  He asks taking a sip of his drink whilst I find the desk interesting.  "Slick, what have you done?"

 

 

 

"Nothing, I did nothing!  Well, he may have kind of spotted Debs out one day and then happened to see me talking to her and all I did was point him in the right direction..."  he looks at me quietly.  

 

 

 

"And?"  I shrug and then giggle.  

 

 

 

"And that's it I swear...and well maybe she can learn from him.  Now onto more important things, how far can I go tomorrow night?"

 

 

 

FORECOURT

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

Not bad!  Not bad!  I think to myself, that's damn near perfect and he says not bad!  I know I'm being a brat about this but not bad...seriously!

 

 

 

I was so engrossed in pouting and spraying that I didn't notice anyone behind me and leapt about 15 feet in the air when Mac touches me on the shoulder.

 

 

 

"Jesus fuck!"  I scream.  "Don't do that!"  He laughs and I switch off the spray gun.

 

 

 

"Sorry, I've been calling you for the last five minutes." He's still grinning as I try and get my heartbeat back to normal.  "So what'd he say about the car?"  He asks and I sigh.  

 

 

 

"Not bad for a first time, not bad at all."  He looks confused at my response.  

 

 

 

"So?"

 

 

 

I cross my arms.  "I thought it was better than not bad that's all."

 

 

 

He starts to laugh and then calls Cujo over.  "Guess what Brian said about his car?"  

 

 

 

Cujo shrugs and when he tells him he smiles and claps me on the shoulder. "Nice,"  he replies and goes back to working on the Porsche.

 

 

 

"Have I missed something?"  I prompt Mac.  

 

 

 

"Not bad is Kinney-speak for excellent."  He replies with a smile.  "So keep that up and if you get a good...that means perfect."

 

 

 

"Oh!"  I beam and have to resist the urge to hug him.

 

 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S - EARLY EVENING

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

Hunter and I exchange glances as Michael continues to huff round the kitchen.  I've been with him for over 3 years and considering how hard we fought to be together, I find myself really pissed off with what he said about Carl.

 

 

 

"Can you believe that she refused to cancel the date?"  He slams down a pan and the noise jars round the room.  "Where's he going to take her? A donut shop?  And of course Slick knows him and..."

 

 

 

Hunter takes the pan off the fire and stares at him.  "What the hell is your problem with Slick?  She's a great lady and..."

 

 

 

"Lady?  Her?  As if!"  He snorts.  "If you must know Hunter, Slick is the product of a broken home and of course she's caused problems between Jenny and me..."

 

 

 

This is the first I've heard of it. I knew they weren't speaking but not why.  "What did Slick do?"

 

 

 

Jenny is very fond of Slick. She gets the tomboy side of her- which Michael doesn't- and she encourages her, like Mel does, to explore that side.  This is also why Slick and Lindsay don't get on too well either.

 

 

 

"Jenny took imbringe when I described Slick as being a bit too ghetto for..."

 

 

 

"Ghetto?  You described her as ghetto?  And what the hell is imbringe?" Hunter snaps.  "Do you perhaps mean ‘umbrage' as in to take offence?"  He drawls sarcastically.

 

 

 

I had to hide my smile in my coffee. Michael tends to use the wrong words and often at the wrong time. I have taken to calling him Mr. Malapropism, which, of course, he has taken as a compliment!

 

 

 

"Not ghetto I said she shows her ghetto side..."  Michael tries to defend himself.  "Anyway, this cop is just after one thing...and I'm determined that he's not getting that from my mother!"

 

 

 

With that he takes up his coat and stalks out.  "We should call Debs." I suggest but Hunter shakes his head.  "Nah let that shit hit his fanny."

 

 

 

DEB'S HOUSE

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

"Mother about this date, I forbid you to go."  She looks incredulously at me and then bursts out laughing.  "No mother I'm serious! You don't know anything about this man, he could be a murderer or something. And you are too old to date anyway!"

 

 

 

"Michael,  you're killing my mood now either be nice or leave...actually just leave."  She opens the door and glares at me.  I stare at her in surprise.  "Walk or fly, I don't care, just get the hell out of my house."

 

 

 

"How am I supposed to fly out of here?"  I snark holding my ground.  

 

 

 

"Simple, I shall kick you in that flat ass of yours sending you flying down those stairs...now get out!"  She barks.

 

 

 

Before I could say anything else she grabs me by the elbow and shoves me out of the door, slams it shut and then locks it.

 

 

 

DEBS

 

 

 

Why the fuck can't he just let me be happy?!  Carl seems a really nice guy but maybe... just maybe Michael's right. I think I might cancel.  I was just about to call when my phone rang.

 

 

 

"Hi Ben, is everything okay?"  I have to admit that when they first got together I was worried because of his status but now that they've settled I really like him and Hunter, my not-lost-anymore boys...the only good thing about Michael Charles Novotny right now is them!  I love the way they have fitted into our little group.  "Yeah he's just left.  Ben, do you, do you think...well it's just that he said.  You're right, you are so fucking right!  Thanks Ben."

 

 

 

I put the phone down and head to my bedroom, time to get my clothes ready for my date.

 

 

 

JUSTIN'S APARTMENT - LOUNGE

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

I've made a roast chicken with some vegetable rice.  I always loved to cook and looked forward to when it was my turn at St Peter's.  Brian had gone out to get the food for me whilst I was having a shower after Slick made me work until six to make up for lost time.  He's been working on something and judging by the muttering and grumbling, it's not going well.

 

 

 

"Problem?"  I ask and hand him a glass of wine, which he takes with a smile of gratitude.

 

 

 

"Can't get this to pop."  He replies with a sigh.  

 

 

 

"Can I have a look?"  He pats the space between his legs and I settle down and grimace.  "Oh I see." I study it for a few minutes before reaching for my bag and pulling out my pad and pencils.

 

 

 

Within 15 minutes, I've redrawn it and done some shading and colouring.  "There I think that's a bit better. If you shade behind it, in say like a purple or a blue, then the front colour will be more pronounced."  He holds my pad up and looks at it and smiles.  "Not bad, not bad at all."

 

 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S HOUSE

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

I've listened to Michael rant for the last five minutes.  "Michael what right do you have to tell her who to date?  And despite what you said, he seems a nice guy and..."

 

 

 

"I have the right as her son!  Besides she's too old to be dating and all that it implies."  He shudders at that point.  

 

 

 

"All that this implies?"  I echo and then smirk.  "Oh I see. Well if and when that happens, it is their business and not yours.  As I said to Debs..."

 

 

 

"What did you say to my mother Ben?"  His tone is sharp.  

 

 

 

Not backing down, I fix him with an equally hard stare.  "I merely told her to take a leaf out of your book when we first started dating and you told her it was none of her business. Remember that?"

 

 

 

"A mother is supposed to stop that kind of thing. It's not seemly..."  He protests and then scowls at my snort of derision.  

 

 

 

"Not seemly or are you jealous?"  I query and then it hits me he is. He's jealous!  "Michael it's one date, not some great romance. They might go out tomorrow and decide they don't like each other and they might decide that they do. The only thing you have to do as her son is to be happy for her and let her be happy.  Just like she did for us...like she did for us at the start."

 

 

 

JUSTIN'S APARTMENT - LOUNGE

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

"Can I look through your pad?"  I have been dying to see it since he told me about his love of art.  He nods and reaches for it.  We've just finished dinner and are on the couch and he turns to face me.  Slowly I leaf through it and stare in astonishment.  "Justin these are fantastic and...uh when did you draw that and when did I look like that?"

 

 

 

I turn the pad to him and the page of me with my head thrown back and my eyes closed and my mouth parted like I was gasping.  He blushes and then grins.  "Um after you went home...and after you um came."  

 

 

 

I look at it again.  "That's what I look like when I cum?"

 

 

 

He nods and smiles and then picks up a bowl of mousse I bought from Emmy Lou's.  Taking a spoonful he holds the spoon to my mouth and I allow him to feed us.  "Oh God that's so good."  I groan and he nods.  "I know I'm going to regret this but go get the other one."  He dashes to the kitchen and is soon back.  

 

 

 

"Oh wait, forgot the spoon."  He mutters and starts to get up.  

 

 

 

"No, sit down." Taking a finger full, I hold it against his mouth and he slowly sucks off the mousse and I feel my dick twitch.  "Cliché much?"  I mutter but he grins holding up a finger full.  As I eat the mousse, I hear his breath hitch and then he scoops another one. By the third finger full, I'm pretty sure he wants something but doesn't know how to ask.  "Justin...come here."  I tug on his shirt and he puts both legs round my waist.

 

 

 

"Do you want me to touch you?"  He shakes his head and I'm confused.  "Then what do you want?"  I kiss him gently.  

 

 

 

"I want to touch you."  I look at him in surprise.  

 

 

 

"Why?"  

 

 

 

He kisses me deeply and soundly.  "Lie back Brian."

 

 

 

Slowly I do as I'm told, his eyes never leaving mine and he stretches over me sliding his hand down to undo my jeans.  My heart is racing because I'm used to being in control but he gently kisses my nose.  "It's okay."  He whispers and takes my hand and slowly he starts to pop open my buttons, within minutes his hand is round my cock and he's kissing me again.  As he begins to stroke me I feel my eyes start to roll back with pleasure.  "Brian look at me.  You feel amazing."  He breathes.  "Like silk.  Warm liquid silk."

 

 

 

I can't stop looking at him, he thinks I'm amazing. Me as this one-balled wonder is amazing and I start to frown. I can't help those old feelings which surface every time I think about what used to be. Me...whole, vital, virile and...

 

 

 

"Stop it...stop whatever litany is going through your head; you are amazing."  I start to pant and groan, my other hand is kneading his ass.  All I want to do is feel.  "Brian...just let go."  He whispers in my ear.  

 

 

 

"Oh!  Oh fuck oh!  Oh yes Justin so good!"  I scream and almost buck him onto the floor.  

 

 

 

"Woah there Bronco Bill!"  He snickers grabbing at the table to save himself and I burst out laughing.  Who knew sex could be funny.

 

 

 

BEN AND MICHAEL'S - THURSDAY EVENING

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I'm so looking forward to this evening. I'm not going to think about mother and her rent-a-dick date but will be there to pick up the inevitable pieces when he's done with her.

 

 

 

"Emmett you have surpassed yourself. These canapés look great."  I look round the lounge and it really does look great. We're having cocktails in here and then dinner.  Most of my guests are here except Brian and his guest. I'm slightly miffed at him because he wasn't answering his phone last night; I tried him for at least an hour.

 

 

 

I find Ben who is talking to one of our new neighbours, Richard who is in banking.  "Excuse me Ben, sorry need to steal him away for a minute."  Ben looks concerned.  

 

 

 

"What's wrong?"  He asks.  

 

 

 

"Do you think I should call Brian again?"  He looks at me with something verging on pity.  

 

 

 

"Now Michael, when have you ever known Brian to be on time for a family dinner?"  I roll my eyes at him.  

 

 

 

"This is not a family dinner Ben, this is a housewarming dinner and he could've..."

 

 

 

"Hey Brian, how are you sweetie?"  I hear Emmett's voice and then see Brian. He looks great and I'm eager to see who he's brought as a guest. "Ooh and my favourite girl, Slick, come see what we have for dinner!"

 

 

 

Slick!  He brought Slick!  This is not who I wanted to introduce my neighbours to!  "Michael sorry we're late."  He says and then goes to say hello to Ben.

 

 

 

"Slick my dear girl come here!"  I turn to the voice and find Matthew one of our new neighbours who lives two doors down stopping Slick from following Emmett.  He pulls her into his embrace and gives her a sound kiss.  "Now then, who is that morsel of loveliness you bought with you?"  

 

 

 

She laughs at that.  "I didn't bring him, he bought me. That is Brian Kinney who runs..."

 

 

 

Matthew narrows his eyes at her.  "Kinnetic? That Brian Kinney?  Oh him I must speak to him, can you do the introductions?"  She nods and leads him to meet Brian.

 

 

 

"Michael?"  I continue to stare at Slick in disbelief as she takes over my party.  "Michael!"  Emmett's harsh whisper brings me back to earth.  

 

 

 

"What is it Emmett?"  I demand.  

 

 

 

"Uh I just heard something that might cause you a little problem..."  I sigh and finish off my drink before taking another.  

 

 

 

"The only problem I see thus far is my..."

 

 

 

Brian is at my side and glowering.  "Michael can I have a word?"  

 

 

 

I smile at him.  "Yes I would like a word with you too."  I lead him to the study and close the door.  "What the hell is..."

 

 

 

"Why have you been telling your neighbours that I had a conga fuck in my loft?"  He demands his face furious.  

 

 

 

"Is that all?!  You brought Slick of all people here, why?"  

 

 

 

He jams his hands in his pockets.  "Is that all...is that all?  Do you have any idea how damaging that kind of shit is to my reputation?"  He snarls.

 

 

 

I can't believe he's reacting like this.  "As the Stud of Liberty Avenue, it is not damaging at all. In fact, it has given credence to your legendary status and..."  He's just staring at me before he pinches his nose.  

 

 

 

"Not that you idiot, my business reputation!  That Richard guy who Ben was talking to... it was the first thing he asked me about when Ben introduced me. Do you really think that's what I wanted to hear about at dinner!  Thank God for Slick..."

 

 

 

I frown at him.  "What about Slick?  What does she have to do..."  I'm interrupted by a knock on the door and Ben sticking his head round.  "Sorry to interrupt boys, but Brian, Jeff would like a word.  He's got to go in 10 minutes but wanted to make sure to talk to you."  

 

 

 

Brian nods at him before turning back to me.  "If he asks me about the conga fuck you and I are going to have a serious fucking problem!"  He stalks out and Ben closes the door behind him and looks at me.

 

 

 

I sip my drink and sigh.  "Can you believe the way he's reacted to that? I mean he was being completely unreasonable!  You'd think that he'd be thanking me for it. His reputation in the gayborhood has been saved from whatever idiot upstart was trying to take his place last month. I think his name is Brandon or something but thanks to me, Brian's name is on everybody's lips again."

 

 

 

Ben leans back against the door.  "You behaved like a pimp and then wonder why he's pissed off.  But don't worry Slick set him straight and he apologised to Brian and hopefully the rest of the evening will go without a hitch.  Now let's go back to our guests."

 

 

 

I head to the kitchen to speak to Emmett who is chatting animatedly with Matthew, Slick and another of our neighbours, Griffin, who she is leaning against.  "Are you tired Slick? Don't feel like you have to stay longer than you should."  I smile grimly at her.  

 

 

 

"Brian's my ride Michael. If I go, he goes..."  She pats my face and leaves the kitchen.

 

 

 

I grind my teeth in frustration and turn to Emmett when he clears his throat.  "Dinner is 15 minutes away. We should get people into the dining room now."  

 

 

 

I nod curtly and paste on a smile.  "Everyone, let's go and sit so that Mr Honeycutt can serve up."  I lead them to the dining room.  "So we have name cards..."  I pause and look round the table, there are no name cards.  I look at Ben who shrugs.  "Uh well there were supposed to be..."  I begin.  

 

 

 

"Oh it doesn't matter, come on everyone just sit."  Ben instructs.  

 

 

 

"Yes but..."  I try again.

 

 

 

"Why don't you guys top and bottom and we fit round you?"  Slick suggests waggling her eyebrows.  I grimace once again at her humour and bridle at the laughter that followed.  

 

 

 

"So that means Ben's at the head then?"  Matthew chortles and looks at Ben who smirks.  "I knew it!"  He crows.

 

 

 

"Let's just sit down, shall we?"  I demand tersely and then look round.  "Where's Brian?"  Right on cue he comes in followed by Jeff who was supposed to leave 10 minutes ago and he's tucking his shirt in.  I smile into my glass.  "So Jeff are you staying?"  He nods.  "It's just that Ben gave me the impression you needed to be gone earlier."  He finishes his wine and dabs at his lips with a napkin.  

 

 

 

"I was but Brian persuaded me to stay."  Brian raises his glass to him and nods.

 

 

 

"And however did he manage that?"  I smile smugly.  

 

 

 

"As you know I work for a local newspaper and he's going to get me to cover the first of the dinners that he's going to sponsor and we had a quick interview, luckily my..."  

 

 

 

I chuckle into my glass. "An inter...wait Brian, you are still going ahead with those dinners?"  Ben shoots me a warning glance, which I ignore.  

 

 

 

"Of course, I am. It doesn't matter who the winner is. He's still due his winnings."  Brian rebukes me and I can't help myself.  

 

 

 

"But he's homeless and..." The table goes quiet.  

 

 

 

"Michael stop this.  He won fair and square and that's all that matters."  Ben cuts across me.

 

 

 

"Excuse me, but the guy who won is homeless? Wow that's some story. You never told me that part,"  Jeff exclaims.  

 

 

 

"It isn't my story to tell."  Brian grimaces.

 

 

 

I take another sip of wine.  "Well, I can tell you what happened."  I tell Jeff, who looks at me with interest.  "Yes, you see he entered an eating competition. Emmett did the food, and he ended up throwing up on Brian and..."

 

 

 

"Because he hadn't eaten so much in so long to go from nothing to that much in such a short space of time..."  Slick interrupts.  There are nods of what...sympathy? I'm holding in my scoff at the thought.  

 

 

 

"He must have been so hungry.  Do you think you could get him to speak to me?"  Jeff asks quietly.  "Obviously some people in that situation are..."  

 

 

 

I lean forward and clear my throat.  "He's at St Peter's the homeless shelter and his name is Justin Taylor - blonde, blue eyed and claims not to be a..."

 

 

 

"Michael!"  Ben exhorts.  "Enough!"  Nobody says a word.  "This is not your story to tell. You don't know his history or anything about him.  So stop."

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

I feel sick to my stomach.  I look at Slick who is radiating enough anger to power a small nuclear station.  "Uh Slick, look here..."  I stand and reach into my wallet to give her some money but she waves it away.  

 

 

 

"No.  I'm coming with.  Ben I'll see you.  Everyone else enjoy the rest of your evening."

 

 

 

As we head to the kitchen we see Emmett starting to decant the food into containers and muttering angrily, whilst wiping his eyes.  "Emmy Lou, you need some help?"  I ask quietly and he nods.  

 

 

 

"I've never been so ashamed of someone in my entire life, get me out of here."  We help him pack away the entire dinner.  

 

 

 

"Can we come with you?"  Ted asks and I nod.

 

 

 

DINING ROOM

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I'm glowering at Ben, who is now talking to another of our neighbours as if he hasn't just humiliated me.  After about 10 minutes, I wonder what's taking Emmett.  "Excuse me I just need to see what's taking so long."  I head to the kitchen and there is nobody there.  I look in the lounge and again that is empty.  I head back to the dining room and wave at Ben.  "Excuse me a moment."  He follows me out.  

 

 

 

"What?"  He demands.

 

 

 

I drag him back to the kitchen.  "Emmett's gone."  

 

 

 

He frowns.  "What do you mean gone?"  

 

 

 

I clench my fists in frustration.  "I mean gone and taken the food with him... gone!  What am I going to do?"  

 

 

 

He folds his arms and glares at me.  "Well one thing you need to do right now is either call a takeaway or end this farce but in future you need to think and then speak."

 

 

 

JUSTIN'S APARTMENT - LOUNGE

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

When Brian called and sounded so angry I was surprised but now that he's turned up with Ted, Emmy Lou, Slick and someone else with enough food to feed a small army, I'm worried.

 

 

 

"What's happened?"  I look round at them.  

 

 

 

"Justin sit down, oh this is Blake. He's Ted's partner."  I sit down and they tell me what happened at dinner and I am fucking furious. How dare he speak to someone about me?  I look at Brian but his expression is unreadable.

 

 

 

"Are you ashamed of me?"  I ask quietly and his head whips round.  

 

 

 

 

 

"What!  No of course not, no!"  I let out the breath I was holding as he pulls me into his embrace and kisses my temple.  

 

 

 

"Good. So now what do we do?"  I ask.  "Apart from eating all of that lovely looking food."  Within minutes the food is decanted and we are digging in.

 

 

 

SLICK

 

 

 

I have never wanted to punch anybody with a Mack truck so hard in my life.  But as I look at Brian and Justin, it suddenly hits me.  And I start to smile.  "Okay what are you thinking?"  Ted asks.

 

 

 

"Come out."  I tell Brian.  

 

 

 

"Uh been out for years. You should know," he responds, sardonic wit firmly in place.   

 

 

 

I scowl at him and throw a roll.  "No doofus.  Let everyone know about Justin, including Michael."

 

 

 

"But why I thought..."  Emmy Lou objects and then smiles.  "Seriously, your ass-kicking knows no bounds!"  The others just look confused.  

 

 

 

"Emmy Lou hush. Let me get some wine and then I'll explain." Two minutes later, I'm back.  "Do you have any idea how respected you are Brian?"  He looks confused.  "Fucking as in actual fucking reputation aside, you are respected.  Everyone knows what you do on and for Liberty Avenue."  He blushes and tries to stop me.  "Hush, so let them help you to make a go of this.  Be open, to a degree that's comfortable for you and Justin about you and Justin.  He started the conga fuck rumour let's do the same but go with the truth and the first person we tell is Debs."