Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 8: MIXING

 

 

 

SLICK'S WORKSHOP - TUESDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

I never thought it would say this but I'm thoroughly enjoying working on this car.  Not just because it's Brian's but because it's fun.  Cujo is so patient with me...he never knew his nickname is from a movie about a rabid St Bernard...and we're waiting for the base to dry.

 

 

 

Brian had to go to Chicago at the last minute so won't be back until tomorrow around late afternoon or early evening.

 

 

 

"So that's the colour that he wants on the car?"  I look at the shirt and remember his face when I tried it on.  Slick nods and sighs.  "What's up?"

 

 

 

"Idaho's not back until Wednesday afternoon now so won't start on it until Thursday which means Saturday return, and I know he wanted it back before then because..." she trails off looking guilty.

 

 

 

"Because?"  I prompt.  "Come on tell me..."

 

 

 

"The first meal is next Saturday."

 

 

 

"First meal?"  I echo.  "Oh what the dinner that he's sponsoring... that's next weekend?"

 

 

 

She nods and twists her lip.  "And in honour of your meet up, he wanted to take you in this.  I don't have the skills to mix the paint..."

 

 

 

"I can do it.  Well I can try."  I look at the paints and start to mix them.  "It's no different than mixing paints for abstracts."  I mutter and for the next twenty minutes I concentrate on making it perfect.  "Well you know what...I think that's pretty much as near as I can get it."

 

 

 

Mac whistles in approval.  "Yeah gonna give Idaho a run."  He tests the base.  "Yeah tacky enough for it to seal, let's get the first coat on."

 

 

 

CHICAGO AIRPORT HOTEL - LATE EVENING

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

White & Acre have signed!  I'm so fucking happy. That's another $20 million to Kinnetic.  I've just had my shower when a text comes through:

 

 

 

Justin: you know it's all about that base, about that base, first coat on, it's all about that base, about that base.

 

 

 

Me: okay what are you talking about?  Are you high?

 

 

 

Justin: no twit!  Riffing on All About that Bass by Meghan Trainor.  The base and first coat are on and we're doing the rest tomorrow

 

 

 

Me: Idaho's back, what do you think of him?

 

 

 

Justin: No he's not and it wasn't Mac or Steve or Cujo

 

 

 

Me: So who did the mixing? Please don't tell me it was Bell?

 

 

 

Justin: ah so I shouldn't have asked him, there was nobody else there...

 

 

 

Me: Justin!  Tell me that Bell didn't touch my car!

 

 

 

Justin: I, ah, can't tell you that...

 

 

 

Me: JUSTIN!

 

 

 

He doesn't reply for two minutes and I know he's doing it deliberately but I can't bear it and I quickly dial him instead.

 

 

 

"JUSTIN!  If Bell has touched my car I will..."  His giggle stops my queen out.  "Ah, someone's been talking have they?"  I smile into the phone.  "So come on who did the mixing?  Come on just tell me!"  He does and I am stunned into silence.  "You did?  Wow, I can't wait to see it now.  So what else have you been up to, no more run-ins with Michael?  Oh wait, I've got a call from Lindsay I better take this.  I'll call you back straight after."

 

 

 

MEL & LINDSAY'S HOUSE

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

Mel and Jenny are still annoyed with Michael and I've been trying to smooth over the ruffled feathers but Jenny is not budging on apologising and it's going to make the atmosphere a little uncomfortable to say the least.

 

 

 

"Brian it's Lindsay, no nothing is wrong with Gus.  Well it's Jenny and Michael; they're still not talking.  Well she won't apologise and he won't speak to her until she does.  I wondered if you could have a chat with her to get her to back down.  I know it's nothing to do with you but come on you're virtually her second father...thanks Brian.  See you on Saturday."

 

 

 

I smile to myself but then that drops when I see Mel's expression.  "Wow you just had to involve him, didn't you?  It's nothing to do with Brian. This is between Jenny and her dad and..."

 

 

 

"Mel the atmosphere is going to be awful if she doesn't apologise.  And..."

 

 

 

"Lindsay, he was wrong, do you understand that?  She has nothing to be sorry for. Why are you siding with Michael on this?"

 

 

 

"He's the parent and..."

 

 

 

"That doesn't make what he says right."  She sighs heavily.  "He was insulting about Slick and you know how Jenny feels about her."

 

 

 

"Yes indeed I do but you have to admit that Slick can come across as somewhat coarse."  I remember wincing when he described Slick as common.  "Anyway, let's hope Brian can talk some sense into her.  I'm looking forward to staying at Britin..."

 

 

 

"Britin?"  She looks concerned and then resigned.  "We're not staying there remember.  We are going to Ben and Michael's because they have moved into a new house too and the kids are staying there, as there's more to do on that side of town for them."

 

 

 

"When was that decided?"  I demand peevishly. I was looking forward to going to Britin. None of us have seen it yet, well for accept Ted.  "I don't remember that being decided."

 

 

 

"You and Michael were probably too busy micromanaging Brian's life to listen when we were discussing it.  And we're not changing plans...we're staying with Ben and Michael and doing Britin when Brian invites us, not when you two invite yourselves."

 

 

 

As she walks out I put in a call to Michael.  "Michael, it's Lindsay..."

 

 

 

KINNETIC OFFICES - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

TED

 

 

 

Brian is beaming and I don't think it is completely to do with the contract we signed. We got back earlier than we thought we would.  So we're now on our way to the diner for an early dinner and I think he's going to be going to check on his car of course...

 

 

 

DINER

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I can't believe that mother has a date with that cop!  And who did I hear it from? Not her but Kiki, who took great pleasure in telling me.  I'm waiting for her to arrive so that we can discuss this.

 

 

 

And I'm also cross that Ben and Mel decided to have everyone at our house over the weekend.  We will be entertaining twice in a week now, not that I'm complaining as our neighbours are a delight... much better than the ones I used to live around. But I, like Lindsay, wanted to see Britin. I still can't believe that Ted got to see it before me!

 

 

 

I should really be in the comic book store but it's been a quiet start to the week so I might as well stay here.  I'm contemplating how to bring up this dating potential fiasco when Ben and Hunter join me.

 

 

 

"Hey what you doing here thought you would be at the store?"  Ben goes to kiss my mouth but I turn my head.  He sighs.  "What's wrong now Michael?"

 

 

 

"When were you going to tell me about everyone staying at our house this weekend instead of us going to Britin?"  I pout and fold my arms.

 

 

 

"Why should he tell you about something you suggested?"  Hunter frowns at me and signals Kiki who comes over with coffee for Ben.

 

 

 

"Oh yes. Thanks Hunter, well remembered."  Ben smiles at him while I grimace. My grimace turns to an even bigger one when Slick and that kid come in and Ben waves them over. "Ben what are you doing?"  I demand.  "We're discussing family issues that I don't want to share with everyone."

 

 

 

"Hey Slick and do I get to find out your name? Michael mentioned that you are doing your penance for the disservice to Brian's car."  Ben chuckles at the kid's blushing.  "I'm Ben and this is my, uh son, Hunter and of course you know Michael."

 

 

 

"Hi I'm Justin.  Nice to meet both of you."  He smiles at everyone but me and Slick is glowering more than usual.

 

 

 

Kiki beams at the door and comes over.  "You guys need to grab the back booth quick, Brian and Ted have just come in and I think I hear the trill of Ems!"

 

 

 

Hunter gets up and grabs the booth and I make sure I remain standing so that Brian can slide in and I can sit next to him, he has stopped to speak to mother.

 

 

 

"Michael are you going to sit down or not?"  Emmett asks impatiently and after a minute he nudges me into the seat.  "I'll move when Brian comes if it means that much to you but in the meantime sit down."  He demands.

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

Okay mask of indifference firmly in place.  I saunter over and Emmy Lou gets up but I push him back down and end up sitting next to Slick, who's next to Justin Ted, and then it's Ben and Hunter then Michael and Emmy Lou.

 

 

 

"So Slick how's things going with my car?"  I ask stretching my legs out and resting my arm behind her head and giving his hair a gentle tug and let my fingers trail down the back of his neck before draping my hand on Slick's shoulder.  "Has he been doing a good job?"

 

 

 

"He's..."

 

 

 

"Oh so you've already let him loose on that, are you sure that's wise?"  Michael interrupts.  "Maybe it should be best left to the professionals.  You know how fussy Brian is about his cars you wouldn't want to have to do it again."

 

 

 

"From what Mac's said and the picture of the 2nd coat is anything to go by I don't know why I came back."  I look up and grin at Idaho.

 

 

 

"Idaho sweetheart when the hell did you get back in?!"  Debs sweeps him into her arms before holding him at arms-length.  "Sure you should be back so quickly?"  He nods and once he's free he sits next to Emmy Lou.

 

 

 

"Hey, glad to have you back. Sorry about your dad." I tell him and shake his hand.  "Oh let me introduce you to everyone from Slick onwards, who you have a rough idea who it is.  Justin, who's doing my car.  Ted, Ben, his son Hunter, Michael and Emmett.  Guys this is Idaho."

 

 

 

"Hi, sorry about your dad too."  Hunter offers his condolences and the others round the table nod, which he acknowledges with a small smile.

 

 

 

"Why are you sorry? You don't know him, let alone his dad," Michael scolds him, earning him a glare from Ben.  "I'm just asking..."

 

 

 

"Because it's the polite and kind thing to do!"  Debs admonishes him with a glower and he's lucky he's out of slapping distance.

 

 

 

 

 

"So you're the one who's on the phantom? Nice job so far."  Idaho smiles at Justin who beams at him.  "Keep this up and you may be the only one apart from Slick and I that are allowed near his cars."

 

 

 

"Oh I'm pretty sure Justin won't have a problem working out how to tune Brian's engines...with Slick's help of course."  Emmy Lou grins into his cup when Justin snorts into his milkshake.

 

 

 

"So do I get to see it?  You know to give my approval of the work so far."  I ask Slick

 

 

 

"Yeah it..."

 

 

 

"Nah Slick he doesn't need to come all the way out there to see a coat job, me and Justin will work on it and it will be fine. I know what you like."  Idaho waves away the suggestion and is oblivious to the hard stare Slick is giving him.

 

 

 

"No, you know what I think Brian should come and look at it and besides the corvette needs..."

 

 

 

"What's wrong with the Vette? It was fine the last time I looked at it.  You been grinding the gears again?  Like I said you don't have to make a special trip for that, it'll be fine."

 

 

 

"Can you let me out for a minute Brian?  I just need to check something."  Slick mutters casting a look at Idaho who is comparing shirts with Emmy Lou.

 

 

 

I watch her head outside and try not to smile when Idaho takes out his phone and frowns and then he looks at her when she returns but says nothing; she waves me to move in next to Justin.

 

 

 

"Sorry about that, had to make sure that one of my engineers was following instructions.  So Brian you were saying you wanted to see the paint job on the phantom and look at the Vette for the detailing right?"  She asks with a ghost of a smile playing round her lips.

 

 

 

"Yeah please, you know how fussy I am and..."

 

 

 

"Oh Brian about the dinner tomorrow night, are you still coming?  Ted what about you? Will you be bringing Blake?"  Michael interrupts again.  "You'll be meeting all our new neighbours; you could make important contacts."

 

 

 

"Ah yes Michael, indeed I will be coming.  I'm looking forward to it.  My guest is undecided as yet but it will be an entertaining evening.  I'm sure."  I smile at him.  "A bit like your ma's. She's got a date with Carl, uh that cop."

 

 

 

His face darkens and he turns to get Debs' attention and when she comes over he immediately launches into a tirade.  "Mother how could you arrange a date with that man?  He's obviously a poor judge of character."  He looks meanly at Justin and we all wait for him to realise what he's just said.

 

 

 

"Thanks Michael that's just wonderful of you."  She sneers.

 

 

 

"See..."  He is about to continue smugly when Ben leans over and whispers in his ear.  "No that's not what I meant. I meant his judgement in Blond twinks!"  He tries to backpedal.

 

 

 

"As much as I would love to watch you dig yourself out of that bog you've flung yourself into Michael. I have to get GGK's car critiqued and I suspect that Justin will be working long and hard into the night to get it to his exact specifications."  Slick guffaws and stands.  "Come on Justin let's get the judgement over with."

 

 

 

"Okay guys nice to meet you, I'll come with."  Idaho stands too.  "I've got nothing to do I might as well come back and put some time in.  Just let me hit the bathroom and I'll join you in a second."

 

 

 

I want to scream with frustration and I hear a little groan from Justin.

 

 

 

"Seems I need to send another text..."  Slick grumbles and pulls her phone out.

 

 

 

SLICK

 

 

 

Me: Idaho for the love of fucking God sit down and leave me to this!

 

 

 

Idaho: uh why?

 

 

 

Me: because I will fucking fire if you take a step out of this diner okay!

 

 

 

Idaho: why you and Brian got something going on?

 

 

 

Me: IDAHO!!!!

 

 

 

Idaho: Okay, okay, question is Emmett single?

 

 

 

Me: grrrrr!!

 

 

 

Idaho saunters out of the bathroom and slides back in next to Emmy Lou who grins happily.

 

 

 

"I thought you were going to check on his work?"  Michael demands rudely.

 

 

 

"Nope, I've decided to find out about Emmy Lou, Slick knows what she's doing and Bri trusts her.  After all she was right about the colour of the Vette."

 

 

 

"Yeah time to go.  I have to get other stuff done.  Can we go Slick?"  Brian interrupts quickly.

 

 

 

"So Brian...he prefers Brian by the way."  Michael snarks.   "I'll call you this evening to talk about this weekend.  Okay?  And you've still not told me what happened to the Vette that you had to get it repainted."

 

 

 

Brian nods and we start to leave.

 

 

 

"Oh hey you three, wait up!"  Debs calls out.  "Lemon bars.  Justin you've got to take some and maybe the apple pie, yeah..."  She looks contemplatively at him.  "Ems why don't you take them to your place and give them some of the mousse..."

 

 

 

"Debs!  Darling sweet Debs I have an order I really need to work on so if you could box it up..."  I begin before Brian kills someone.  "Quickly.  And maybe Emmy Lou can give Idaho the mousse later and he can bring it into work tomorrow; that's okay right?"

 

 

 

Emmy Lou smiles knowingly and then nods.  Another agonising 10 minutes later we have the bars and pie and head back to the truck with Brian, grumbling he's waited this long he can wait until they are at least comfortable to get reacquainted.

 

 

 

I wasn't stupid enough to get between them and the apartment door.

 

 

 

SLICK'S LOUNGE

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

Oh God he feels so good.  How can it only have been less than a week?  He tastes of chocolate and lemons as he had one of the bars on the way back and I'm not sure what happened to the pie, I think he dropped it, when I pulled him into my arms.  His groan of relief was all it took and I was covering his mouth with mine.

 

 

 

He has the most perfect ass and it feels so good in my hands.  He's currently wrapping his legs round my waist and his hands are in my hair.

 

 

 

He slowly lets my bottom lip out of his mouth giving it a gentle nibble before soothing it with his tongue to stop the gentle sting.

 

 

 

"I never thought we would get out of there."  I groan.  "I could happily have killed Idaho."

 

 

 

"Me too but not as much as I want to slap Michael."  He muttered licking my earlobe.  "Sorry but your best friend is a wanker and I don't use that word often.   Um please don't be offended but you weren't thinking of inviting me to his dinner were you?"

 

 

 

"No, God no, Slick's coming with me.  Now enough talking more kissing."