Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 71: THANK YOU

 

SLICK’S APARTMENT – SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

SLICK

 

Okay I officially am not drinking for possibly the next three days!  Jesus, Divina can put it away. Meanwhile, I need the bathroom and then more sleep.

 

About an hour later, I realise the pounding is not my head…it’s the door.  I stagger to the window and look out.  Serious looking men in suits and a smug looking Michael.  This idiot called the cops on me?  Well this should be interesting.

 

“Morn…actually afternoon officers.”  I croak.

 

“Slick Phoenix?”  I nod.  “I’m Det. Crane and this is Det. Bank.  We’ve had a report from that gentleman that you fraudulently obtained collectibles from his father and sold them at auction…”

 

I hold up my hand.  “Stay right there Detectives.  I’ll be right back.”  I close the door and grab what I need.  “Here.”  I hand it to Det. Bank. As he reads it, Michael is coming up my path.  “You need to stop him.”  I tell Crane.  

 

“Sir return to the car.  We’ll be right with you!”  He calls back.

 

But of course, he doesn’t listen.  “What’s going on? Why isn’t she being arrested?”

 

“Seriously, he needs to go back. I have a hangover and very limited patience.”  I smile tightly and he nods knowingly before turning round and escorting Michael back to the car.  “Bank, is it good?”  He shouts back.

 

“Seems legit to me!”  He yells and I wince. He smiles apologetically as he hands the paper back to me.  “Can you bring down a copy of this to the 57th Precinct later today or at the latest on Monday?  This is the case number and we can wrap this up.”

 

“Sure.  I can just give it to the desk clerk?”  He nods and I snicker.  “You might want to go help your colleague.  He tends to channel his determination in a way that’s not helpful to his freedom and nobody wants to write up a report today.”

 

“Gotcha.  Good day to you.”  He smiles.

 

I close the door and make a bet with myself that he will get at least a caution by the time they get down the road!

 

DET. BANK

 

“Mr Novotny, she has documentation stating that she was the owner of the things auctioned off and…”

 

“No that’s bullshit!”  He shouts and stalks up to the door. I roll my eyes and quickly follow him.

 

He hammers on her door and she must have been watching as it is opened pretty quickly.

 

“What?”  She snaps.

 

“What’s this bullshit about documentation? I demand to see it!”  He yells.

 

“Sir, can you keep your voice down?  You are causing a scene.”  I tell him.

 

“She’s a thief and a fraudster!  I want to see it now!”  He demands again.

 

“What, so you can tear it up?”  She scoffs.   “No, I have a better idea why not call your dad and get him to explain it to you.  You have called your dad, right?”

 

“I’ve been trying to sort out my banking situation which took up most of my time, as you well know since you watched him cut up my card!”

 

“Excuse me, what’s this?”  I interrupt.  “Your father cut up your card?  What card?”

 

“My bank card obviously.”  He snaps at me before turning back to her.

 

“I see what you mean Ms Phoenix.”  I sigh.  “Mr Novotny, two things.  One calm down and two why not call your father now, as she says, and we can get his whole thing sorted out.”

 

“Let’s go inside then.”  He pulls out his phone.

 

“Inside where?”  She retorts.

 

“Here, I’m not…”

 

“Nope.  You are not coming in my house.  Make your call and be on your way when you’re done.”  She goes to close the door.

 

“Actually, Ms Phoenix if you could stay for this…”

 

“What’s the matter Slick? Scared of what they will hear?”

 

“No, but I have a hangover and I want to enjoy your abject humiliation.”  She replies tartly. I have to admit that she is looking a little green round the gills.  “Miss please?”

 

“Fine.  But you’re not coming in.”

 

He dials the number.  “The number you are calling from has been barred by the recipient, please hang up.”

 

Crane and I exchange looks.  “Let me try again; I’ve obviously misdialed.”  He frowns and dials again.  “The number you are calling from has been barred by the recipient, please hang up.”

 

“Want me to try?”  She asks and pulls out a cell from her pocket and he glares at her.  “Yes, why not?”  He snarks.

 

“Slick?  Darling how are you?  Please tell me you feel as fucked as I do?”  A voice croaks.

 

“And then some.  Your son is here with the police.”

 

“Here?  Where’s here?  And why?”

 

“My house.  He’s saying I stole from you.  I’ve shown them the documentation and they’re happy with it but he’s not.  So would you like to tell him again what happened?”

 

“Michael?  Michael are you there?  Can you hear me?”

 

“Yes dad.  Tell…”

 

“As I said to you last night.  I gave it to Slick, it was mine to give.  Now if I need to come to the station and make a statement to that effect I will.  Who do I ask for?”

 

“Either Det. Crane or Det. Bank.”  I say into the phone.  “Who should we expect?”

 

“Daniel DeVore.  I can be there about six. Is that too late?”

 

“No that’s…”

 

“You need to get there now dad because…”

 

“Michael, did you try to call me?”

 

“Yes I got a barred message, which…”

 

“Will be the same message you will receive if you email me.  Detectives, I will see you later.  Slick, go to bed my dear.  I shall bring a copy of the document with me so you need not trouble yourself.”

 

“Thanks Danny, bye.”  She leans heavily against the door and points in Mr. Novotny’s direction.  “Please, can you take that away? I just want to lie down.”  She swallows hard.

 

“Go.”  I nod and then yell as the door is closing.  “Take some Advil!”  It doesn’t take a genius to know where she’s headed.

 

“Come on Mr Novotny, there’s nothing for you here.”  Crane turns him around.  “Where can we drop you off?”

 

“What?”

 

“Where can we drop you off?”  He repeats.

 

“Nowhere.  I’m not leaving here until you…”

 

“We can drop you either outside or inside the 57th Precinct, your choice.”  I glare at him and open the car door.

 

“Outside is fine.”  He gets in and glares at us all the way back and when we get there he gets out and slams the door hard.  “I’ll be back later to meet with my father.”

 

“Fine but I would leave that attitude at home!”  Crane blasts him.  “He doesn’t seem inclined to bail your ass out of jail and you don’t have a card remember?”  Crane rebukes him coldly.

 

As he walks away, I turn to Crane and shake my head. I was about to comment when a raspy voice interrupts. “Was that Michael Novotny?”  

 

 

I turn to Carl in surprise. “Yeah, you know him?”

 

“Oh yeah.  Know his mother.  He’s um…”

 

“Going to end up in jail if he doesn’t watch his attitude.”  Crane mutters. He’s old school and suffers no fools.

 

“Again.  You’d think he’d learn.”  Carl shakes his head as we make our way inside.

 

“Again huh?  Hmm, I’m going to enjoy meeting him tonight.”  Crane snickers.

 

57TH PRECINCT EARLY EVENING

 

DANIEL

 

I had a feeling that my son would be here so I’m not surprised to see him.  He rushes over to me but I put up my hand to halt his progress.  “When we’re inside.”  I tell him shortly.

 

“Hi.”  I smile at the desk sergeant.  I’m here to see either a Det. Bank or a Det. Crane, I’m Daniel DeVore.”

 

“Ah yes, if you could take a seat, I’ll call one of them for you.”

 

“Dad...”

 

“I said inside.  And before you say another word, you know damn well what inside I meant.”

 

He sits back huffily in his seat and says nothing until a man approaches us.  “Mr Novotny, you’re back.  Mr DeVore, I’m Det. Crane, nice to meet you.  Please follow me.”

 

INTERVIEW ROOM

 

DET. CRANE

 

+Please take a seat gentlemen.  Det. Bank, this is Daniel DeVore.”

 

“Nice to meet you, albeit under such time wasting circumstances.  Here’s the paperwork as promised.”  He takes it out and pauses.  “This is the original of what Slick has. So which one of you saw it?”

 

“I did.”  Det. Bank replies and checks it over, nodding.  “Yes, it’s exactly what I saw.  I’m going to take a copy and that’s us done.”

 

“No that’s not us done. She’s obviously…” Novotny protests but is stopped before he can get his roll going.

 

“What?  What’s she obviously done?  Lied about supporting your daughter, whom you have had your parental rights removed from?  Not paid into our joint account for three years despite saying you would?  Been to jail and not told me?  Did she do any of those things?  No those things were done by you!  And you were very lucky that I took your word for it because if it had been written down, I would be pressing charges for fraud.  Now I want you to grow up Michael and learn from this and take on board that nobody likes, let alone loves, a liar.”

 

Bank had paused at the door when Daniel started to speak and he’s now looking as incredulous as I am.  “You did that to your dad?  How the fuck do you sleep at night?”  He demands.

 

“There were circumstances that…” Novotny tries to justify but again is but off by Mr DeVore.

 

“Are they the same circumstances you had for Brian?”  Daniel glares at him.

 

“Brian?  Sorry who’s Brian?”  I ask.

 

“Brian Kinney, his former best friend and the unrequited nor-never-will-be love of his life.”  Daniel snickers.  “Brian didn’t press charges though he could’ve.  And as for what you did to Justin...”

 

“Justin? Who the hell is Justin?”  Bank asks, taking out a notebook.

 

“Justin Taylor, Brian’s fiancé and the actual love of his life.”  Daniel smiles.  “Beautiful man.  Calms him down in seconds. Those who know the temper of Brian, says he has amazing twink powers.”

 

“Twink powers?”  Bank and I exchange looks.

 

“A twink, is a young gay man…”

 

“A very young gay man!”  Novotny snipes.  “He should’ve fucked off ages ago.”

 

“But he hasn’t.  And if they have anything to do with it, he won’t.”  Daniel retorts   “And I’m unsurprised at what you did Michael.”

 

“What did he do?”  I demand.

 

“Took out most of the money of the bank account.”  He puts up his hand as I start to bridle.  “I would’ve done exactly the same thing last night if I wasn’t getting drunk with Slick.”

 

“The difference is that it was your money, not his.”  I growl.  “Seriously, you can have him arrested for fraud.”

 

“No, that’s not necessary.  I will be fine.  She’s a very determined woman.”  He chuckles.

 

“Do you mean Ms Phoenix?”  He nods and then I have to laugh as I remember her earlier.  “Where did you guys go?  She really didn’t look very well when we met her?”

 

“Started off in Le Mont and then we did Altius and finally Eleven.  My kidneys are still throbbing.  But unlike you Michael, she’s made sure that I am fine. Out of the money she got for your bits of tat; she gave me $10K.”

 

His jaw drops.  “What the fuck for?!”  He demands.

 

“Because she knows you Michael.  Sadly more than I do.  And you know what convinced me to take the money?”

 

“I…”

 

“Quiet!”  Crane barks.

 

“Because she said, you’re getting it anyway, you might as well buy what you want.”  He smiles.  “So gentlemen, are we done now?   Because I have to pack for my tour and also Aruba.”

 

“Yes Mr DeVore, we’re done.  And Novotny be thankful you’re not in jail because if you did that to me I would have your ass in jail married to Bubba in seconds!”

 

DEBS HOUSE – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

DEBS

 

“Just keep pouring sweetheart.”  I whisper to Ems, rocking a sobbing Slick. She’s crying out of grief and guilt.  She feels guilt for feeling sad that he’s dead. It was natural causes, but the bottom line is she lost her dad, a part of her whether she chose to acknowledge the connection of DNA or not.

 

“Wh-why do I feel this?”  She whimpers.

 

“Despite what he did, he was still your dad.”  Jennifer strokes her hair.  “Thanks Em.  Honey drink this.”

 

“Whaissit?”  She mumbles.

 

“Um a combo of enough booze to stun a rhino.”  Jennifer smirks.

 

“Fine gimme!”  She wipes her face and knocks it straight back and after spluttering, she grimaces.  “Okay you weren’t kidding.”  She croaks and for the first time today, she smiles.

 

We sit in comfortable silence, with me still gently rocking her.  “Debs?”  She looks up at me.  

 

“Yes sweetheart?”  I wipe away another tear.  

 

“How come he can’t see what everyone else can about you?”

 

“He doesn’t think I’m good enough for him nowadays.”  I sigh somewhat sadly, feeling hurt.

 

“Well, he’s an idiot!”  She exhorts, making herself more comfortable.  “Ems, can you give me my bag please?”  He hands it to her and she pulls out some forms.  “Okay, Ted, how do we do this best?”

 

“What?”  He asks and then nods.  “Your father’s money?  Well if you are sure you want to share it amongst the Squad, then…”

 

“If I may interject, please?”  Sandrine smiles and takes her hand.  “I’ve spoken to the others and we can understand why you want to do what you want to do because of who he was and what he did. But we don’t feel comfortable accepting anything more than the hotel.  And that is more than generous.”

 

“Anyone else?”  She asks quietly.

 

Silence.

 

“I mean it. I don’t want to go to NYC only for people to say no really I couldn’t.  I seriously do not want or need the money so if you don’t want to be…”

 

“Let us just be clear.  What exactly are you offering?”  Ted asks

 

“Hotel and spending money.”  She replies.

 

“Are you kidding me?!”  I shriek, almost throwing her to the floor.  “Sorry honey.”

 

“No, I’m not.”  She states firmly.  “This man caused me fucking misery and spending his money to make my family happy will stick in his decomposing hopefully being ripped out by Cerberus craw.”

 

Ted winces at the imagery.  “Well in that case. I suggest you and I open a joint account under the Kinnetic arm and I can get cards ordered.  How many do you think you would need?”

 

“Well one for each couple, but for the kids, Hunter will be in charge.”

 

“Slick.”  Justin clears his throat.  “Are you sure you don’t need time to think of it?”

 

“He’s worm food right now.  I don’t even know where he’s buried.  So no, I don’t need to think about it.  Would you?”

 

“No.”  He replies immediately and then looks apologetically at Jen.

 

“Slick if I ask you a question, will you answer honestly?”  Jenny asks quietly, looking tearful.

 

“Of course. I would never lie to you.”  Jenny wipes her nose and clears her throat.  “Jenny what’s wrong?”

 

“Are you dying?”  There is a stunned silence.  “I mean are you sick?  You didn’t tell us about your dad and…”  She starts to cry.

 

“Let me up but keep my spot.”  Slick whispers and goes and scoops Jenny into her arms.

 

“Jenny.  I promise you I am not sick as far as I’m aware.  If you think that’s why I’m doing this, it’s not.  I promise you, I just want rid of the money and that’s all.”

 

“So could I order the LV travel set? It’s on sale.”  She hiccups giggling.

 

“Jenny!”  Lucy admonishes, wiping her eyes.

 

Slick snickers and fishes in her bag for her iPad.  “Does it have pink lettering?”  She asks.

 

“Huh?”  Jenny looks at her warily.

 

“The case, is it this one?”  She turns the pad round and Jenny almost nods.

 

“Hunter, can you buy this for her and I pay you back?”  Slick grins at him as he reaches for the iPad.  “Although I think that Prada would be more a you thing.”

 

“I agree, definitely Prada.  Hunter give me that.”  Brian reaches for the iPad.  “Jenny, come here.”

 

I don’t think I have ever seen two kids move so fast. Justin wisely gets out of the way.  I tap Slick on the shoulder and she snuggles back in.  “You are a good kid.”  I whisper.  “She would be so proud.”

 

The front door heralds the arrival of Carl. His face creases in worry when he sees Slick, but she gives him the ‘okay’ signal and he relaxes.

 

“How was your day?”  I call out as he heads to the kitchen.

 

“Amusing in turns.”  He comes back and drops a kiss on my cheek.  “Your son has certainly not made any friends on the fraud investigation team.” Everyone turns to look at him.  “He tried to have Slick arrested for stealing the stuff she had in the auction.”

 

“What?!  When was this?!”  Mel snarls.  “And why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“Yesterday.  And I was majorly hanging.  We’re talking two pukes and four Advil.”  She shrugs.

 

“As I was saying he’s not made friends but you have Slick.”  Carl stares hard at her.   “After what you…”

 

“Lock it down.”  She interrupts.

 

He nods and heads back to the kitchen, and I spot the looks between her, Brian and Ems.

 

“Oh and if you see Michael over the next few days, just say thank you to him and smile.”  She grins.

 

“Why?”  Blake asks.

 

“Because it will drive him absolutely fucking insane!”  Carl shouts from the kitchen.

 

GRIFFIN/BADER RESIDENCE – MONDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

“So we are all booked for New York.  Aren’t you excited?”  I look across at Michael. He’s been brooding since Friday but won’t tell me what’s wrong.  “Michael, what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing.  Just a bit disappointed that I haven’t got to see Matilda yet.  But I will.  But yes New York is going to be good.  So what are you going to do this week?  I’m still not understanding why we’re no longer cancelling his show?”

 

“Because it’s moved to MoMA now but there is a placement scheme, we can influence but I need to speak to a couple of other galleries.”   I take a breath as this is the most boring subject on earth but I feel I have to ask.  “How was the auction? Did you get what you wanted?”

 

He seems to tense up slightly.  “No there wasn’t anything there.  It was quite disappointing but what do you expect with something she organises.”

 

“So you spent all that time there buying nothing?”  I can’t help the laugh.

 

He scowls at me but says nothing.  I was about to tease him some more when the door opens and Catherine and France come in and head to the kitchen.

 

“Do you want some wine?”  Catherine calls out.

 

“Oh yes please!”  I reply putting the magazine down and stretching.  She comes out of the kitchen and gives a small smile.  “Not you. I was talking to Terez.”  She heads back to the kitchen, I get up and follow her.

 

“Catherine is everything okay with us?  I mean the four of us?”  

 

She pauses and frowns.  “Of course why would you think it wasn’t?”

 

“It’s just that things have changed since the party and then there’s the wine.”  Michael interrupts.  I watch Catherine stiffen slightly before turning to face him.  

 

“What about our wine?”

 

“Well it seems to have…”  He begins.

 

“Let me explain how this is going to work from now on.  You have your food and we have ours.  Now excuse me, I have a guest to attend to.”  She stalks out and the office door slams hard.

 

“Michael, what did you hope to achieve from that?”  I sigh.

 

“She asked…”

 

Me.  Michael, Catherine and I were having a conversation.  You roll your eyes at the manners lessons I keep giving you.  Your mutterings aren’t as quiet as you think.  But I wouldn’t have to keep giving them to you if you learned the first time.”

 

He gapes at me and goes to speak but I put up a hand.  “We, yes because it is still you and me…just, need to work to the rules of the society we live in right now, not the one you want to end up in.”  I take a deep breath.  “Now, once again, I have to go fix an unnecessary fuck up that you’ve made.  Thank you so much Michael.”

 

DINER – THURSDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

I’m so determined, she has no idea.  But I had no idea that lock it down applied to me!  Brian and Ems have taken to whispering to each other in my presence and although I know they are doing it deliberately, I can’t resist trying to get out of them what they are talking about.

 

The door opening brings in Slick with a couple of bags from Aldo and Linden locks on.  “Before you show anything, is this for New York?”

 

She nods and grins and takes out the most beautiful pair of purple with sparkles shoes I have ever seen.  “Look at those babies.”  She purrs.  “Leather, diamante and a low heel, just perfect for Debs.”

 

“What!”  Linden’s shriek of dismay attracts attention but she places her hand on his arm.  “Now these are for me.”  She pulls out a pair of deep red leather Wizard of Oz pumps and then a suit bag I didn’t spot.  “To wear with this and those Secrets you like.”  She opens the suit bag so only he can see.

 

“Debs enjoy your shoes. Excuse us!”  He starts to shove her out of the booth.

 

“For goodness sake, chill!”  She snickers taking her time as he leers at her.  

 

“You want them to hear what you scream because I will take you in the office if you don’t move it.”

 

“See ya!”  She giggles and takes off running.

 

As they hustle out, Michael comes in.  “Seriously asshole, thank you for your continued fuck ups. It makes us so happy.”  Linden shouts and they are gone.

 

MICHAEL

 

I take my usual seat and am about to attract the attention of mother when Twinkle comes in.  He’s in tears.

 

“What the hell has happened?!”  Mother demands.

 

“Master is going to be so ha-happy.”  He blubbers and the entire diner, except me as I just roll my eyes, lets out a sigh of relief.

 

“Excuse me Miss Debs.  I’m Master Roman, we didn’t get chance to be introduced before.  Twinkle, I don’t think Master Grim would be happy if you were to discuss whatever this is now.  Go and clean yourself up, then come back here to me and wait for his arrival.  Do you understand?”

 

“Yes Master Roman.”  He actually bows and disappears out back while I shake my head.

 

“Do you know who the most powerful person in a Dom/Sub relationship is Michael?”

 

“Well DUH the Dom. The clue is in the name.”  I scoff.

 

“No, it’s the Sub because a Dom without a willing Sub is just a Sadist.”  He replies and beams at his boy.  “Snook, go and check on Twinkle.  I suspect he’s crying again. You know what he’s like when it comes to Master Grim and making him happy.”

 

Mother approaches me with pen and pad.  “What do you want?”

 

“Who’s cooking?”  I asks.

 

“Doesn’t matter. What matters is if you want to eat.”  She replies tiredly.

 

“Cheese burger and fries with a coffee.”  I tell her.

 

“With spit and snot mayo, got it!”  She snarks and walks off.

 

Before I can reply, the door is banged open and Jenny and Molly fly in.  “Grandma!”  “Miss Debs!”  They chorus.  

 

“They arrived then?”  Mother chuckles and they both nod.  “So where are they?”

 

“That’s the thing because it’s a New York thing, we can’t have them till then.”  Molly grumbles.

 

“I see. Who instigated that rule because my shoes are here, so it wasn’t Slick.”

 

“Hunter!  And he’s supposed to be my friend!  And don’t get me started on Daphne; she agrees with him!”  Molly is being a drama queen like her brother!  “But it’s amazing who we have to thank.  We would never be going to New York if it wasn’t for your son right?”

 

What?  New York? They’re going to New York?

 

The door opens and Grim and Carl come in, both of them beaming at their partners.  With a nod from Romany, or whatever his name is, Twinkle launches himself from the booth straight into Grim’s arms and they disappear into the back.

 

“Here’s your food.”  Mother plonks the plate down.

 

“Wait.  What was that about?”

 

“People being happy.  A concept you know nothing about.”  She snaps.

 

“Debs!  Can you come in here a minute?!”  Grim shouts and she disappears.

 

As I start to eat my lunch, Jenny comes up to me.  “Thank you Michael... for using your selfish powers for good.  I can’t wait to get to New York!  Molly come on!  Bye Michael.”

 

Selfish powers? What the fuck is she talking about?

 

“Debs are you sure?  Absolutely sure?”  Grim is calling back to her as he walks out with

Twinkle, looking adoringly at him.

 

“Sure, I’m sure.  Now you know what you have to do.”  She swats him on the ass.

 

“Thank you Michael.  Never thought I would say that to you in a million years.  Okay Twinkle, go say goodbye to Snook and Master Roman and we will go home and get the transfers done.  Fuck, Bermuda of all places.  We need to stock up on suncream.”

 

Bermuda?  And seriously what’s with the gratitude?