Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 61: DENIAL, TASTING, EMMY’S MACHINATIONS AND NOW THEY BEGIN

 

MICHAEL

 

I stare at her indignantly.  “Creepy?!  How the fuck did you get to creepy?”  I demand.

 

“You sat on a freezing cold doorstep and listened to your ex-best friend fuck his fiancé. I think that’s how she got to creepy.” We whirl round surprised to see Claire.  “I’m hoping that I dropped my…ah there it is!”  She grabs a coin purse and puts it in her bag.  “It’s funny.”  She says quietly.  “I went into prison with this and I know immediately when I don’t have it.  Is it the same for you guys?”

 

“This notepad.”  Lindsay says.  “Although it’s full, I need to be able to see it.  What about you Michael?”

 

“Nothing.”  I reply coldly.

 

“Oh come on there must have been something that you went in with that centres and reminds you never to go back there?” Claire asks.

 

“I know I’m never going back so I need nothing.”  I scoff haughtily.

 

“How can you be so sure?”  She asks.

 

“As I said never going back.”  I vehemently repeat.

 

“Bet you thought you would never go there in the first place.”  She smirks.  “See how things change?”

 

I watch her pull her coat tightly round her.  “Give my regards to your sister, won’t you?”

 

“Nope, you aren’t worthy of her acknowledging your existence.”  She slams out.

 

“Michael.”

 

“Lindsay.”

 

“So we’re back to conspiracy theories, are we?”  She sighs.  “I thought you were over this?”

 

“She left the coin purse that reminds her of her time in jail?  Oh please!”

 

“But it was here!”  She snaps.

 

“How convenient!”  I bark back.

 

“And you left your phone oh please. Then sat outside in the cold listening to Brian and Justin fuck oh please!”  She arches her brows.  “She got her purse and left, which is more than you did!”

 

We both stand glaring at each other before she shakes her head and walks away.

 

MITHESON GALLERY, NEW YORK – MONDAY MORNING

 

JANELLE, GALLERY MANAGER

 

“May I be put through to Sidney, please?  It’s Janelle Steel from the Mitheson Gallery.  Hi Sidney, I’ve just got an interesting email…”

 

After I put the phone down, I shake my head.  We’re used to temperamental artists, even prima donna ones but this is beyond ridiculous!  For a start, why did they think this is going to work? We obviously had checked out his history; this is not our first gay artist rodeo!  Sidney has told me about this Lindsay Peterson and I did a bit of research of my own. If she thinks that anybody in New York would be interested in her scrit-scratchings, she’s sorely mistaken!

 

I set up the folder and file the email away as Sidney requested.

 

DINER – TUESDAY MID-MORNING

 

DEBS

 

I dash round the diner as I’m on my own as Kiki is running late.  It’s not too bad but I could really do with a hand.

 

As yet another crowd of people come in, I sigh. Then in comes Grim and Twinkle followed by Brian and Justin.

 

“Guys back booth!  Be with you as soon as I can.  No Kiki!”

 

They nod and make themselves comfortable, then another crowd of people come in as well as Michael.  I groan at the latter especially when he looks at the dirty table in disgust.

 

“One pair of hands Michael!”  I snap and then grind my teeth as he sits at the dirty table!

 

I take a breath about to take an order when I hear.  “My name is Twinkle, how may I serve you today?”

 

I whip my head round to see Twinkle has grabbed an apron and a notepad and is taking orders from one booth; Brian is doing another; Justin is doing coffee and Grim is bussing tables.  I hold my breath when he gets to Michael’s table.

 

“You and the blonde should’ve stayed on Saturday.  There were punishment cages, which you two would’ve been right at home in, especially with the ball gags they had to wear.”

 

Michael remains silent but goes bright red and I look across at Brian, who shrugs.

 

“Not that you would’ve worn your stripes of correction with honour but it would’ve been fun to apply them.”

 

Kiki comes flying in followed by Ems, who skitters to a halt.  “Is Brian Kinney…?”

 

“Yeah.”  A leather bear sighs.  “Our table is next.  Don’t rush Kiki!”

 

Ten minutes later, the diner is at a low hum and I’m feeling less frazzled.  I join them in the booth and raise my eyebrows at Grim.

 

“Explain that comment to Michael.”  I demand when he says nothing.

 

A grin breaks out on Twinkle’s face and he starts to fidget.  “I think it would be best coming from my fiancé before he explodes.”

 

The grin rivals Justin’s and he regales us with tales from their stag do at the weekend and their surprise guests.  Now I’ve seen Brian laugh but I’ve never seen him snort with laughter.

 

“Do you have…?”

 

“Oh yes!  We took pictures of everything!  Especially the exit!”  Twinkle raises his voice and looks meaningfully at Michael, who glares back.

 

“Exit?”  Ems wipes his eyes and then cackles when Twinkle shows him his phone.  “Oh my, is he wearing a…”

 

I grab the phone and wish I hadn’t.  “Don’t swipe right.”  Grim advises and I listen.

 

The door opens bringing in Brandon and then a man I don’t recognise but judging by the smile on Justin’s face, he does.

 

“Hey.”  He gets up and gives him an affectionate kiss on the cheek, which doesn’t go unnoticed by Michael as he gets up and heads to the bathroom, where Brian has just gone.

 

“See you guys.  Can you let Brian know I’ve gone and I’ll see him later?”  Justin gathers his things and leaves with the guy.

 

Minutes later, Brian comes out with Michael hot on his heels.  “See what did I tell you?”  He states smugly.

 

“Where’s Justin?”  He slides in ignoring Michael, who is leaning against the booth.

 

“He went with a guy said he’ll see you later.”  Grim advised wincing slightly.

 

“Oh his eleven o’cock.”  He smiles.  “I’ll give them a couple of minutes to get comfortable and then go join them.”

 

We all exchange looks when the door goes again and Claire comes in.  “Oh Claire hi, over here!”  Brandon calls out and she joins us.

 

“Those who don’t know this lovely lady, her name is Claire, she’s Slick’s tenant.”

 

I watch as Michael’s jaw ticks and his ears go pink and think what does he have to be guilty about?

 

“Hi I’m Debs, waitress here. This is Grim, Twinkle and Brian and…”

 

“You’re below us?”  Brian interrupts.  “I’m Justin’s fiancé.”

 

At Michael’s snort, Claire turns to him.  “Don’t I know you from somewhere?”

 

“No I don’t think so.  But I’m Michael.  Her son and his best friend, not that you’d know it the way they treat me sometimes.”  He gripes.

 

“You know, I’m sure I’ve seen you somewhere…”

 

“Michael! There you are!”  Lindsay comes rushing to the booth.  “Why didn’t…”

 

“That’s where I’ve seen you before Michael. You used to live where I live now, didn’t you?”

 

Michael just continues to stare at her dumbfounded.

 

“Yes, of course, how are you settling in?”  Lindsay gushes.  “I’m Lindsay, we didn’t get a chance to be introduced before.”

 

“Fine thanks.  So Brian you’re above me. Have you settled in now? I met Justin briefly over the weekend.”

 

“Not really any need to settle, it’s just a studio for Justin.  We live outside of town.”

 

I exchange a furtive look with Ems, who looks as confused as me.  What is Claire playing at?

 

Her phone beeps and she stands.  “Well it was nice to meet you all.  I’ve got Slick coming in a few minutes. She’s redecorating my apartment.”

 

“I’ll walk with you, I have to meet Justin anyway.  He and Sidney Bloom, you remember him Lindsay, the gallery owner you used to work for?  Well he and Justin, are going over his commission pieces and will, no doubt, be talking about his show in New York.”  Brian says.  As his puts on his coat he turns to Michael.  “Nice try.”

 

“Michael we have to go.  We have a meeting uptown, remember?”  Lindsay almost carries him out of the diner.

 

“What the hell was that about?”  I demand and turn to a chuckling Brandon.

 

“Don’t you see?  She’s good, very good.  Not as good as Slick good but good.  And he almost blew it, thank goodness for Lindsay.”

 

“Um Master, I don’t understand.”  Twinkle looks round the table.

 

“Oh I see.”  Ems grins.  “She’s planted herself in this group.  So she’ll get to know everyone, especially Brian and Justin.  And of course we will tell her everything they need to know…!”

 

JUSTIN’S STUDIO

 

BRIAN

 

“Oh my God when he just stood there like a guppy!”  I gasp and she shakes her head.

 

“Christ I’ve seen slugs in salt quicker on the uptake than him!”  She sighs, exasperated.  “Never thought I’d say this but thank God for Lindsay.”

 

“What happened?”  Justin asks, sliding into my embrace.

 

As she catches him up his giggles stir my groin and I grind my hips.  “Brian!”  He blushes.

 

“You don’t giggle, I won’t get hard.”  I nuzzle his neck.

 

“And there’s my cue.”  She grins and heads out.

 

CLAIRE’S APARTMENT

 

SLICK

 

Seriously the man is an idiot.  I’m guessing he gets his brains from the father’s side, because Debs is too whip smart for him to be this fucking dumb.

 

“So you’re feeding him the ‘in’ and he does nothing?”

 

“Nope.  How he was judged to be the instigator in the shit they pulled I have no idea!”

 

“I think that was more because his jealousy was more evident than him being smart.”

 

She snorts into her drink.  “So this redecorating.  Oh wait, Brian said to say parking to you.”

 

“Yep, all in hand.  You about tomorrow morning? Care for a little show and tell?”

 

She nods.  “So what are you going to do with his room?”

 

“Turn it into an office. When this shit is all done and over with, Kyle is moving in here.  Uptown can run with two assistants.  But this is just heaving all the time and he likes the Avenue... well one particular aspect of it…”

 

“Blonde, cheekbones to die for called Brandon?”

 

“Yeah and Ems is working on that.”  I look at her for a few minutes.  “Why?  Why are you doing what you’re doing?”

 

“She played me in prison.  When I realised who she was, I took her under my wing thinking she wouldn’t survive but she proved she could survive just fine being the innocent victim and me the aggressor.  I had an extra two weeks added because of her. Luckily I only served one.”

 

“Fuck.”  I breathe.

 

“Exactly.”  She growls.  “We had arranged to meet up on my original release date.  But when I wasn’t there, nothing. Not a fucking thing from her.  Then when I bumped into Jennifer and heard what she had actually done, I had to pay her back.”

 

CAFÉ ON THE CORNER, UPTOWN – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

I pinch the bridge of my nose and then clasp my hands together.  “Michael.  How can you not see what she’s done as a good thing?”

 

“Because it isn’t!”  He sulks.

 

“So her being friendly with Brian and Justin, when we can’t get near them, is a bad thing?”

 

Silence.

 

“What can I do for you to prove to you that she’s on our side, get her to move in with us?”

 

“No, fuck no!”  He almost shrieks.

 

“No?  Well I think it’s the perfect solution.  Claire moves in with us.  I’ll text her right now.”

 

CLAIRE’S APARTMENT

 

CLAIRE

 

“And the bitch bites!”  I crow.

 

“What?”

 

“She’s asked me to move in.  No doubt to calm the conspiracy theorist.”

 

“Oh please, she wants into your pants.”

 

“Having seen what she looks like in hers, not going to happen.  Speaking of pants, any news on Mel and Lucy?”

 

“Two overnights and one sight of handholding.”

 

HONEYCUTT’S HOUSE OF FOOD – EARLY EVENING

 

EMMY

 

Oh come along Brandon for heaven sake.  How long does it take you to saunter from one end of the Avenue to another, at this rate you are going to miss…aha…showtime.

 

“Brandon!  Yoo-hoo!  Oh hi Kyle!  Just the two people I need.  Come, come quickly!”

 

They exchange looks and shrugs then head inside.

 

“I need runners.”

 

“Runners?”  Kyle repeats.

 

“Yes, runners as in run through people.  I want to see how what I have in mind works.”

 

For the next forty minutes, I have them pacing up and down the shop whilst I go through my notes until I hear the grumble.  

 

“Okay that’s enough.  Look you two have been great.  Let me box up some food for you!”

 

“Thanks I’m starving!”  Kyle blushes so cutely as it was his stomach.

 

“Couldn’t tell.”  Brandon teases him causing him to blush harder.

 

“Right I’m going home.  Here is your food and your wine.  Go eat!”

 

PHOENIX RISING COMICS

 

KYLE

 

I reopen the shop and open the box.  My favourite of chicken pie is in there!

 

“Where do you keep stuff like plates?”  He calls out from the back office.

 

“Uh I don’t!  Hand job for…”

 

“Hand job?”

 

“I meant eating!”

 

“Not really helping yourself there.”  He laughs.

 

“Oh shut up!”

 

We eat in companionable silence.  “So what’s the deal with Squeakers?”

 

“Squeakers?”  He lifts an eyebrow and I smile.  “That’s what I call Novotny because when he’s angry, he squeaks. I wanted to call him Squealer but I couldn’t do that. It’s the sub name of my best friend’s boyfriend, for obvious reasons…”

 

He’s not stopped looking at me and I’m starting to wonder if there is something on my face.

 

“He’s in love with Brian but Brian is not in love with him.  She’s in love with Brian’s money but the bank is closed and I think you’re fucking hot and want to kiss you.”

 

“How isn’t he picking up that he’s not in love with him, the fiancé must be a… Wait you want to what?”

 

He comes round the counter and tilts up my chin.  “This.”

 

DINER – WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

SLICK

 

Yes I am a grade-A bitch but the devil forgives me, so we’re good.  I’m in the back booth waiting for people to show.  Ems is the first to arrive followed by Ted and Blake, then Brandon and finally Mel and Lucy.

 

We order from Debs and wait.  As planned, Claire arrives first and sits with us.  She made sure they were out of there last night as I had brought the redecorating schedule forward, but Lindsay’s attempt to sit at their usual table are stymied by Michael, who sits them closer.

 

“Thanks for meeting me Ted.”  I smile at him.  “So I’ve taken on board what Brian said about the parking spaces behind the store and I think I should rent them out on an all-day rate of $25, a working day weekly of $100 so five days for the price of four, an hourly of $3.50 and at weekend $10 for each day.  What do you think?”

 

“Think the figures could do with tweaking a bit, you want to earn a profit.  Is there anything parked out there at the moment.”

 

“A truck.  But I’m having that towed today as whoever’s it is hasn’t been around for ages.”

 

The coughing snort from their direction has Blake looking down at his plate.

 

“And Debs, can you do me a favour?  I’m going to do the apartment and hope to finish it by the weekend.  Any chance Claire can stay at yours until it’s done?  Obviously, I’ll pay.”

 

And there’s the strangled gasp of outrage.

 

“Of course honey and no rent needed; happy for the company.  Carl is on a residential training course this week.  It will give me time to get to know the newest member of our family.”

 

 

When we look up their table is empty.