Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 58: DUMBASS NO 2 ENVY?  REALLY? & SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!

 

MEL & JENNY’S HOUSE – SATURDAY MID-MORNING

 

LUCY

 

“For goodness sake, Mel, would you hurry up?!”  I call up the stairs.  “If those Ferragamo shoes are gone, Grim will not be able to keep me from you!”

 

“Coming!  I’m coming!”  She yells back and then, finally, she emerges at the top of the stairs.

 

“Nooooo!”  I wail as she disappears again.  “What could you possibly have forgotten now?!”

 

“Credit card.”  She replies, sheepishly slowly coming down the stairs.

 

“Wasn’t that what you went up for in the first place almost 20 minutes ago?”  I growl.

 

“Yes and I have it now.  So enough lollygagging, let’s go to the diner, pick up the boys and hit the shops!”

 

I just follow her slack jawed in amazement.

 

DINER

 

GRIM

 

We had a great anniversary and one of the presents I promised him was a shopping trip for our wedding outfits. And, although he doesn’t know it yet, for our honeymoon.  Mel and Lucy were volunteered by the B&B Squad for this as the rest of them were going to be busy and the Princesses are still plotting. I think this is part of it.

 

It’s quiet in here right now.  The Babylon hungover crowd aren’t up yet of course, but there’s the regulars from Meathook and Boi Toi , though it has to be said, some of the diner regulars are a bit sick of the attitude of them especially when they are hangry…a new word Twinkle taught me to mean hungry and angry about being hungover.

 

“Are they here yet?”  He asks sleepily from my lap.

 

“Not yet.  Go back to sleep.”  I rest my hand on his chest and he takes it with a small smile.

 

We had a play session last night, which because he was extra naughty, lasted till midnight.  Six hours of watching him tremble, beg and finally behave.  He said he would be fine. Of course he’s tired but he’s been too excited about this for it to be rescheduled. I thought he was going to cry when I suggested it.

 

Kiki comes over with more coffee.  “The girls called, they’ll be another 20 minutes.  He can go in the office. It’s more comfortable.”

 

I nudge him and slide out, he follows Kiki without complaint.

 

A shadow across the table causes me to look up and I grin at Carl.  “Do you know what you are letting yourself in for?”

 

“Well I’m hoping that the dyke side will stop help us…yeah I know it’s one fuck of a reach but worth a try.”

 

He laughs heartily and heads to the back.  “Twinkle’s asleep!”  I call out; he waves his acknowledgement.

 

“I still can’t understand why you said it was in the compactor and he said it was by the compactor.”  The dulcet tones of Michael jangle my ears as he, Lindsay and their landlord Claire take a seat.

 

MICHAEL

 

Shit!  Lindsay doesn’t look happy.  “Maybe it fell out, I don’t know but I put it in the compactor along with the rest of the recycling.  Or are you calling me a liar?”

 

“No of course not, it’s most likely...”  I backtrack quickly.

 

Most likely?  So you are calling me a liar or at least doubting me!”  Lindsay huffs, glaring at me.  “Tell me what possible benefit do I get from lying about that huh?”

 

I drifted off during her ranting thinking about tomorrow and how much fun it is going to be.

 

“Michael?!”  Lindsay hisses right in my face and I rear back.

 

“Sorry, Lindsay was thinking about something else.  No, of course not, you and I have always had each other’s back.”

 

“I should hope so too!”  She sneers angrily.

 

“Look.  Why don’t you two just calm down.  What’s done is done and there’s no getting the comic back right?  And besides, you’re not exactly liked by that crowd.  He’s hardly going to admit that he most likely went through the compactor in the hopes of finding it…”

 

“Of course!  Sorry Lindz, really sorry but I’ve had a lot on my mind with a project that…”

 

“You’ve not told us about this project of yours.  Why the secrecy?”  Claire leans forward.

 

I know Lindsay likes her, a lot – well a bit too much in my opinion!   But the way they scoffed when I told them about Ben and Daphne has made me play my cards close to my chest.  Once I have the evidence of his reaction, then it’s on with the show!

 

I wave at Kiki to try and get her attention and she pretends not to see me, once again. This is getting old!  Emmett has let us back in so obviously he’s forgiven us.  Though we should be forgiving him and mother for throwing us out in the first place.

 

Finally, Sarah comes over with a pot and a pad.  “What can I get you?”

 

“I’ll order first, mine’s to go…” Claire explains when we look at her.  “Bacon, avocado and tomato on toasted brown, please.”

 

“Oh that sounds lovely, I’ll have one of those too please.”  Lindsay actually smiles at Sarah.  “Wait, to go? I thought you were going to spend the day the two of us.”

 

“Bacon and egg over easy on white with a side of hash browns.”  Sarah just rolls her eyes at me and walks away.

 

Claire stares at me in dismay.  “Michael when you come here, do you ever think your food tastes funny?”

 

“No why would it?”  I take a sip of the coffee and grimace.  “Though this coffee is bad even for here!  I think their filters need changing.”

 

“Yeah it’s the filter.”  She mutters and shakes her head.

 

Before I could ask her what she means the door opens and a giggling Mel and Lucy come in.  Lindsay’s mood immediately changes as she watches them join Grim in the booth.

 

“Pathetic.”  She mutters and angrily picks at her napkin.

 

“What is?”  I ask.

 

“Those two!”  She hisses, glaring in their direction as they laugh and joke with Grim.  “Well I’m above that. I will not play their game.”

 

Sarah comes back with Claire’s order and as she stands, Lindsay calls out.  “See you later then!  Round about six?”

 

“Yeah that will work.  See you then.”  She calls back and is gone.

 

Twinkle comes out from the back and grins at them.  “Are we going now?”  He asks excitedly.

 

This gets Lindsay’s attention and she heads in their direction but goes to the back instead. Less than a minute, she’s back and leaning against the counter talking to Sarah.

 

LINDSAY

 

“Can I have my order to go please?”  I turn to the booth and watch them start to get ready to go.

 

“How’s the job search going Mel?”  I smirk at her and scowl at Lucy.

 

“Well when I start it will be better than yours.  Criminal records do tend to be a slight hindrance to gainful employment.”  She replies coldly.

 

I grind my jaw but keep my face blank.  “I hope that Jenny and Gus aren’t seeing a drop in their standard of living since I left you.  Unless, of course, the rumours are true…”

 

“Oh they’re not rumours.  It’s absolutely true that Brian, Justin and Ben are loving parents who don’t treat Gus and Jenny differently.  Now excuse us.  We have wedding outfits to buy. You’ll see them in the papers no doubt.”

 

“Come on Ross Park Mall waits for no one!  And Mel you are saved from being hurt, I phoned ahead and reserved the Ferragamo shoes, sometimes being a WASP has its advantages.”

 

“Last season shopping Mel?  Your standards are slipping.”  I snipe.

 

She snorts and coldly looks me up and down.  “No, they’ve improved in every area of my life.”

 

I feel the rage burning in my stomach.  I’m about to respond but Sarah tapping me on my shoulder to give me my order stops me and by the time I’ve paid, they’re gone.

 

I head back to Michael.  “What was that about?”  He asks as we watch them through the diner window get into a taxi.

 

“Oh she was just being a bitch as per usual.”  I reply airily.  “Look I’m going into town.  I’ll see you later.”

 

I rush out before he can respond and this time I manage to get a cab within 5 minutes, so it’s definitely him.  “Ross Park Mall as quickly as you can please.”

 

ROSS PARK MALL

 

TWINKLE

 

I have never seen so many people or shops in my life!  I keep a firm hold on Master and feel comforted that he seems to be able to part people as he strides through.  Mel, Lucy and I just follow in his wake.

 

“Right first stop Bath and Body Works.”  He looks at his list.  “No actually, let’s do that last as it’s nearest the exit.  So where are you taking us ladies?”

 

“First Diamond Mine for the rings!”  Mel gushes and Master waves her forward but I’m immobile.

 

“Wait Mel!”  He calls her back before turning to me.  “Twinkle what’s wrong?”

 

“Another ring?”  I sigh.  “Why?”

 

“Because the one you pick will be the wedding ring.”  He smiles at me his eyes bright.

 

“So you’ll get one too?”  I look at the floor dreading his answer.

 

“Yes, of course!  I want everyone to know that you and I are married.  So we will get a matching pair.”

 

“Oh Master I’m so glad.”  I sniffle.  “I-I thought because you didn’t have a ring…”

 

“Come here you adorable idiot.”  He gives me a gentle kiss on the forehead.  “Now can we go?”

 

I nod happily and the people part to let us through.

 

LINDSAY

 

This might not have been the best thought out plan.  I should at least have found out where they were going.  And of course, it being a Saturday it is heaving.  I have to think where in this place does Ferragamo…of course Macy’s!

 

After two hours of sitting outside the main entrance I haven’t seen them so I decide to go home when I spot a familiar flash of blonde hair and hear his voice.

 

“Gus!   Wrong shop!  Gucci not Vuitton!”

 

I’m torn!  I don’t want to miss Mel and her latest slut but I want to follow them.  The need to find out what he’s spending Brian’s money on wins out and I quickly catch up to them.

 

Luckily for me it’s quite packed so I can hide among the crowds and still see them.  Gus is handing him a belt and talking animatedly, but Justin is shaking his head.  He clearly doesn’t know Brian because that belt would be perfect on him!

 

I move a bit closer so I can at least hear a bit of what they are saying.  “A large attaché case, messenger bag or a tote with an inside pocket, the instructions are quite clear!”  He giggles.

 

“Oh wait!  How about this one?  It’s subtle enough for him but is it large enough?”  Gus asks.

 

“Excuse me, may I test this bag please?”  Justin asks an attendant and I wait for his scoff.

 

“Of course sir.  But how would you like to do that?”

 

“Need to see if this pad and some of my pens fit in it easily.”  He explains and then pauses.  “Do you have this style but in a messenger bag?  I would really prefer that.”

 

“Yes sir we do.  If you don’t mind me asking what do you do?”

 

“I paint and draw so you could say I’m artist.”  He mumbles and has the nerve to blush.

 

“Lovely! Anything I would know?”  I roll my eyes at his obsequious manner.

 

“I had some pieces in the Bloom Gallery and am doing my first show in New York at the Mitheson Gallery.”

 

“Ah yes I was at the Bloom a few weeks back, bought a lovely abstract by Justin Taylor, called Garlands and Thorns, so beautiful.”

 

“That’s him!”  Gus is pointing excitedly at Justin who is shushing him.

 

The sales clerk stares at Justin hard and then excuses himself.  He comes back clutching his phone and a piece of paper.  “Would you mind signing this for me?  And could we take a picture, my fiancé is never going to believe me?!”

 

“Uh sure.”

 

I feel sick to my stomach as they flock round him like he’s something. After twenty minutes of fawning, they have finally made their purchases and head out. I follow at a safe but listenable distance.

 

“Oh hi mom!  With Justin.  Dad sent him to get some decent luggage. No man of his is going to use that tatty messenger bag to go to New York were his exact words.  We’re in Ross Park, where are you?  Really?  Okay stay there we’ll be there in about an hour.  We’ve got somewhere we need to be first!”

 

He links arms with him and they speed walk to wherever they are going I could hardly keep up with them, my new boots were a mistake.  When they finally meet up with Mel and her motley crew, they are outside fucking Macy’s!

 

JUSTIN

 

I am shattered but happy.  I managed to get something for Brian and I’ve picked our wedding watches, though he has final say of course. We were just heading into Macy’s and, thankfully, hadn’t got very far, my phone beeps.

 

“Oh crap!”  I grumble.  “Can you guys wait here?  His lord and master likes the watches and said I should get them now.  It will be quicker if I just go.”

 

They all look relieved, Twinkle looks like he wants to sleep.  “Look that café over there why not wait in there?  I’ll be ten minutes tops.”

 

I help them take the bags over and then dash back to Tiffany’s.

 

Fifteen minutes later, they look better but I feel like I have run a marathon!  I sink down in the seat and get my breath back.

 

“Isn’t that Lindsay?”  Twinkle suddenly asks.

 

“Where?”  Mel gasps.

 

“Over there trying to hide behind the plant.  Just to the left of the door?”

 

We turn round as discreetly as we can and yes, it is her!

 

“Ohmygod, do you think she followed us here?”  Lucy giggles.

 

“Oh I hope so,” Mel cackles.  “That’s her my feet are killing me face!”

 

“Come on, let’s finish up and go.”  Grim stands suddenly and we gather our bags and follow him out.  “Right so last stop is Macy’s.  We do the 4th, 3rd and the basement only, and then to Sarku in the food hall.  Let’s go!”

 

We look bewildered but follow him and manage to get into the lift.  I spot her familiar blonde hair in the crowd as she just misses our car but instead of getting off at the 4th we get off at the 1st.

 

“Come on, we’re taking the stairs.”  Grim grins evilly.

 

“Where are we going now Master?”  Twinkle looks like he’s going to fall down.

 

“Home of course!”  He chuckles.

 

By the time we get to the SUV the thought of the expression on Lindsay’s face as she tries to find us perks us up.

 

“So who’s being dropped off first?”  I ask.  “No arguments!”

 

“In that case I think it should be Grim and Twinkle and then us.”  Mel smiles at me.

 

“So we’re not eating here?”  Gus whines and Twinkle’s stomach rumbles.

 

“We can eat in the diner?”  Lucy suggests.

 

“Even better!”  Gus beams and we’re off.

 

DINER – EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

They are in the back booth again.  I can’t understand why now that we’re allowed back in, we’re still not allowed to sit there; even when there’s nobody else sitting there.  So infuriating!

Ben and Robin have joined them now and I can’t wait for tomorrow.  The door opens and a very tired looking Lindsay comes in and joins me.  She turns to attract Kiki’s attention but then gasps and gawps at the booth.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“When the fuck did they get here?”  She hisses.

 

“Don’t know.  I’ve been here about half an hour and they were here then.  Why?”

 

She looks absolutely furious.  “No reason!  Look I’m going home. I need a long soak. I’ll see you later.”

 

“Actually, I’ll come with you.”  I stand up and throw some money on the table, minus the tip of course.  “I have plans to perfect for tomorrow.”  I say loud enough for them to hear but they don’t react.

 

Oh well you can’t say you weren’t warned.  I smile to myself.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S BLOCK PARTY – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

BEN

 

Well he’s not here yet and the party is starting to warm up nicely.  I see a cab pull up but it’s Brian and Justin. I can’t wait for his latest round of stupidity to come crashing down around his ears.

 

Justin is being introduced to our neighbours and Griffin is fangirling over him as he went to the Bloom Gallery and bought a piece, which amazingly enough is in his place instead of Matthew’s.  I had to laugh at his reasoning, nobody would imagine a piece of that calibre would be in his place.

 

I head to the kitchen finding Daph and Hunter helping Emmy and Idaho.  I join in and then we hear the haughty tones of Lindsay.

 

“What is she doing here?”  Daph asks.

 

“Oh you don’t know about Saturday, do you?!”  Emmy quickly catches her and Hunter up.

 

“Seriously she followed them around?”  Hunter looks incredulous.

 

“Not sure how long she’d been following them because they only saw her as they were making their way home.”

 

“Brian, you need to listen to me!”  She’s got her hand on his arm and her voice is getting shrill. He glares at her hand and then at her, she removes it.  “I think you need to know what he’s been doing!”

 

“And what exactly has my fiancé been doing Lindsay?”

 

“Did you know he was in Gucci yesterday and spent your money on…”

 

“First, how the hell did you know he was in Gucci and how do you know it was my money?”

 

“I happened to be in the mall when I saw him and Lambskin. I can’t believe he used him in this scheme!”

 

“As opposed to the scheme you’ve been using him for since the day he was born?”  Mel hisses.

 

“My money.”  Justin growls.

 

“What?”

 

“I was spending my money in Gucci, not Brian’s!”  He sneers.  “I now have access to my college fund so I used some of it.  Is that okay with you?  Should I call you to warn you that I’m going to spend my money so you don’t have to trail after us like some lovesick shrew?  How are your feet?”

 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Lindsay go that colour.  “You will pay more than you ever know you interloping fucking twink!”  She flounces off to help herself to another drink.

 

“Um excuse me madam.”  Griffin takes the drink off her and takes a grip on her elbow.  “When you behave like that you don’t get to stay.”

 

He pulls her out of the house and into the drive, when a cab pulls up and Michael gets out.

 

MICHAEL

 

“Lindz what’s going on?  Let go of her Griffin!”  I snap at him and just about manage to steady Lindsay as he shoves her towards me.

 

“What the hell are you doing here?  I don’t believe you were invited!”  Jeff demands.

 

“It’s okay Jeff, soon they’ll get bored and be childish elsewhere especially if we ignore them enough.”  Ben smirks.

 

I turn to Ben.  “I was going to show you this in private to afford you a degree of kindness despite your duplex behaviour…”

 

“Duplex?”  Hunter looks at me.

 

“I think he means duplicitous babe.”  Daph simpers at him.

 

Babe?  Oh you aren’t fooling anyone either!  If you think…”  I snarl at her.

 

“Oh for fuck sake! Let’s get this freak show over and done with so we can go back to having a good time!”  Slick orders.

 

“Fine, he’ll only keep whining on anyway!”  Robin bitches.

 

I storm into the lounge and they all follow.  I take out and plug in the USB port and taking the remote, hand it to Ben.

 

“Press play if you dare.”  I challenge him.

 

He sighs and presses play and I lean against the wall to wait for his reaction.

 

My voice is the first thing that’s heard.  “Ben this is for you and Hunter.”  They both look at me puzzled.

 

“You might want to turn up the audio a bit.  So you can hear each and every word.”  I smirk.

 

“What on earth is going on there?”  Griffin asks and I look at Ben.

 

“Can you explain it Ben?”  I drawl smugly.

 

“Not really.  Why would you want us to see that?  Are you trying to tell us something?” Ben asks.

 

I turn round to look at the screen and wish the ground would swallow me whole because I am looking at an orgy with straight people!

 

“No-no that’s not what I recorded!  I recorded you and Daphne in the apartment above mine talking about that magical night!  I recorded Daph showing those hideous underwear at the diner saying they were for her boyfriend and…”

 

“You did what? That’s so creepy!”  Daphne looks at me in disgust.

 

“They’ve been touching and holding hands!”  I shout and then feel Lindsay starting to pull me out of the room.

 

“Come on Michael, let’s just go.”

 

I wrench my arm free and run back into the room.  “They are fucking!   I can’t understand why you won’t believe me!!”

 

Brian laughs, actually laughs at me!  “That swirly must have messed with your brain Michael.  Ben is not going to be with his son’s girlfriend for fuck sake.  Now fuck off and get some help. Your delusions are getting worse!”

 

Lindsay grabs my arm again and this time I don’t resist as she pulls me out of the house and down the street to catch a cab.

 

“I know what I saw Lindsay.”  I tell her as we head home.

 

“The problem is nobody else did Michael!”  She snaps.   “We told you that it wasn’t possible but no you had to go and do this!”

 

“Oh and what did you do?  You were the one being led out when I arrived!”  I snarl back, then gasp.  “Wait the Cloud!  The videos will still be there!”

 

She rolls her eyes and looks out the window.

 

“I’ll prove it!”  I crow and login to my account and then I remember, I deleted them when I put them on the USB port.  “I can’t understand what happened.”

 

“Michael can you please just be quiet?!”

 

When we get to the apartment Claire is in and seems to be searching for something.

 

“What’s wrong Claire?”  Lindsay drools.

 

“There was a USB port right there that I put some stuff on and now I can’t find it.”  She mutters looking under the sofa.

 

“Was it a gold one?”  I ask angrily.

 

“Yeah.”  She mumbles from behind the sofa.

 

“For fuck sake!  You stupid bitch!  That had the videos and audio of Ben and Daphne on it!  I went to the block party to…OW!”

 

My ears are ringing from the force of the slap.  “Don’t you ever call me stupid or a bitch again, do you understand?!  So where is it?”

 

“What?”  I mumble, testing the inside of my mouth for blood.

 

“The USB port.”

 

“I don’t have it anymore.”  I snap, still rubbing my cheek.

 

“Where is the port Michael? You need to go back to wherever you left it and get it!”

 

“I can’t; it’s too embarrassing!  And besides they most likely won’t let me in any way!”

 

“Okay give me the address and I’ll go fucking get it!”

 

“Uh you can’t do that either.”  Lindsay grimaces.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because Slick is there and it’s going to look a little strange if you go over wanting to pick up something that Michael left considering we’re not supposed to know each other.”

 

“We have to get it back!  I did the intro!”  I wail.

 

“Michael put some arnica on your cheek and go to your room.  I’ve had enough of your stupidity for one day!”  Lindsay snaps and stalks to her room.

 

CLAIRE

 

As he goes to the bathroom and she slams the door, I think to myself for now, my work here is done and I got a slap in!