Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 26: SHOWING

 

SLICK

 

Michael stares back at me completely unrepentant.  As if I expected anything else.

 

“What you said to me about my late mother was reprehensible.”  I tell him quietly.

 

“But it is the truth.”  He smirks.

 

“Not yours to tell.”  I sigh and shake my head to clear it.  “But you always do what you want and to hell with everyone else, don’t you?  I’ve never hurt you Michael unless you’ve caused me to fight back.  Give me one, just one, incident that I came at you first.”

 

The silence stretches on.

 

“Can’t think of one, can you?  But you can tell someone the truth about themselves but not be so fucking nasty about it.  And that’s your problem Michael you are nasty.  One of the things that I always try to be, unless provoked into doing the opposite, is to be kind and to treat people the way I would want to be treated.”

 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes.

 

“You apparently want to be treated like shit, so here goes.”  I blow the dust of my finger and stare hard at Michael.  “The other one of my standards is…my places have to be clean and tidy.”

 

Emmy Lou’s snorts indelicately.  “No, the word you are looking for there is immaculate.”  I turn to face him and he pokes his tongue out.  “What? It’s true!”  He chuckles.

 

“Anyway, you need to clean up because you represent me now.  Being the owner of this building, I’m responsible for the outside and some of the in. So this place will be smartened up so it doesn’t look like the inside of your mind after Anita’s mix and…”

 

“Who’s Anita?”  Justin asks.  

 

“I’ll tell you later.”  Brian murmurs back.

 

“And that starts now.  Box everything up, put a ‘closed for now’ sign up and get this place cleaned up.  You also need to come up with a business plan to drag this shit hole into the 21st century.”

 

“Wait, you’re helping him? Why?”  Daphne huffs

 

“Because if he fails, he can’t pay his rent.”  I explain to her before turning back to him.  “And if you can’t pay your rent, and I mean just one payment, I will kick you out.  If I kick you out you will have to go back to Debs.  And she has a nice thing bubbling along with Carl.”

 

“And if I don’t do what you want?” Michael asks, sneering.

 

“I kick you out now.”  I sneer back at him.  “Doing it my way gives you more time.  Here’s the new agreement. The rent amount will not change, read it, sign it and drop it off at the diner.”

 

“Fine.”  He snaps.  “Now excuse me, I need…”

 

“Why?”  Brian asks.

 

“Because I need to clean up the…”

 

“Why did you lie to me? Why not just come to me for help?”

 

“You’ve always helped me and I didn’t think I needed to ask since our kids are almost brother and sister.  Besides you can afford it.”

 

EMMY LOU

 

“He can afford it? That’s your excuse?!”  He doesn’t even look ashamed.

 

“Stop being so damn melodramatic Emmett! He can afford it and after everything we did for him as a teenager…”

 

“Debs did.  Vic did.  You not so much.”  Brian interjects.  “Come on, I need to get out of here.”

 

We all head to the door with Slick pulling it open gingerly then holding it open with her foot.

 

“Michael just one thing.”  Slicks smiles coldly at him.  “You asked Brian how he could let Justin top him.  The answer is simple: almost the same way Ben let Brian.”

 

She times the dropping of the door perfectly.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

“You guys sit.  We’re heading back to mine to discuss it there.  I’ve had enough of people’s business being shouted out around here!”

 

Mel shakes her head.  “I can’t make it Debs.  Jenny and I have plans. Ben and Hunter are coming around.”  She rubs the back of her neck.  “He didn’t even ask about her... not a fucking question.”

 

“He does love her though. You can’t deny that but he tends to focus on the wrong thing.  Especially when he’s blinded by jealousy.”  I give her a small squeeze.

 

“Mel when’s your flight on Friday?”  Slick asks as she boxes up lemon bars.  “Might as well go with and get that done.”

 

“Sure, I’ll call you.  By the way, why are you really helping Michael?”

 

“Oh fuck it, let’s just talk here.  Everyone who is not sitting in that booth, get out.”  I order and soon the diner is empty.

 

They catch me up on the discussion with Michael and still nobody understands why she’s doing what she’s doing.

 

“Oh for heaven sake.  Michael is going to be Michael.  He’s going to do exactly what I said in the store but is relying on your love for Debs to rescue her…”

 

“Rescue me?  Rescue me from who?”  I retort.

 

“Michael.”  Justin replies.

 

“Huh?”  I still don’t get it.

 

“Debs before the cancer, how were Michael and Lindsay with Brian?”  Mel asks.

 

“Fine, relaxed and not bothering him- just letting him live his life.  Fucking and sucking, drugging and drinking.”

 

“And afterwards?”  Emmy Lou smiles a watery smile. He seems to have caught on.

 

“Well he slowed down but he never stopped living his life.”

 

“And they were happy that he was living a life that they wanted to hear about, not the life he actually wanted.”

 

“Brian was…”

 

“Miserable.”  Brian whispers.  “I was miserable.  I was working so hard and trying to live up to my reputation and they bought into the myth, especially Michael. You know that conga line fuck rumour?”

 

I cackle. I know that Slick squashed it but it was something I could see him doing.

 

Brian pinches the bridge of his nose and grimaces.  “Michael started it.”  

 

My jaw drops.  “But why?”

 

“Because he could.  Debs, Michael is only happy when Brian is being the stud, same for Lindsay I guess.   As long as Brian is doing that, all was good with his world but then along came Justin and Brian found his happy. They can’t stand it.”

 

I look at Brian and Justin and they are… they really are happy.  

 

“Why wouldn’t he want his best friend to be happy?”  Daphne asks.

 

“Because it’s not with him.”  Mel tells her quietly.

 

“Okay.  Just one thing I don’t get.  He’s not going to come back to mine because Brian and I won’t let him. Where is he going to go?”  I demand.

 

“Where he is now.”  Slick replies holding her hand up with a smile.  “The store and the apartment are separate entities, always have been.  When he defaults on the store, he’s out of there but he can live in the apartment free of charge until he finds another job.  Can you imagine how annoyed he’s going to be having to live above something that is no longer his?”

 

“Not as annoyed as he is now that you told him about Brian and Ben” Ems chuckles.

 

“What?!”  I shriek.

 

BEN AND HUNTER’S – EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

Well the shop should be cleaned to her specifications.  I am so fucked off about her being my landlord but more importantly about Ben and Brian!  How could they do this to me?!

 

I am leaning on the bell and hammering at the door.  “Ben open this fucking door right now!”

 

“Michael!  What are you doing?!”  Jeff shakes my arm, I shake him off.  “We can hear you down the street!”

 

“I don’t fucking care!  Ben!  You owe me a fucking explanation!”  I yell in frustration.

 

“He’s not in!”   Jeff yells at me, I stop and look at him angrily.  “He and Hunter went out about an hour ago.  From what I saw they won’t be coming back this evening either.”

 

“Did they say where they were going?”  I demand.

 

“No.  Now you’re causing a disturbance.  So please leave.”

 

“Not until I get an explanation from Ben about him and Brian!”  I growl at him.  “Now this is none of your fucking business so fuck off!”

 

He glares at me.  “Don’t speak to me like that Michael. You aren’t as good as you think you are.  Now what’s this about Ben and Brian?”

 

“They slept together!”  I yell at him and he looks stunned.  “Yes Ben, the great professor, got fucked by my supposedly best friend.  Who I will deal with when I see him next.”

 

By this time we have gathered a small crowd.  “Michael, don’t be silly. Ben was totally faithful to you and Brian would not do that. He doesn’t fuck his friends…”

 

“So Slick lied to me, to hurt me, that fucking bitch.  She told me that…”

 

“She was talking about something called the White Party.”  Carl interrupts me.  “I got a call about a disturbance.”

 

“White Party?”  I echo and try to think.  “Ben hasn’t been to a White Party in years…”

 

“Michael get in your car and leave. Nobody wants to have to fill out a report.  I have a…”

 

I remember what Slick said and smirk.  “No I’m not fucking leaving!”  I know exactly what he has tonight and there’s no way he’s going to be going!

 

“Michael come on be reasonable.”  He sighs.

 

“If you want me to leave, you’ll have to arrest me.”   He stares at me and shakes his head.

 

“You heard the man.”  He turns to someone I hadn’t seen behind him.  “Take him downtown and book him for disturbing the peace.”

 

“Wait!”  I protest as his colleague approaches me with handcuffs.  “I’ve changed my mind, I’ll go…”

 

“Too late.”  His colleague interrupts and starts to read me my rights.

 

“Carl!”  I shout out to him.  “Tell my mom to come and get me!”

 

“That’s what your one call is for Michael.”  He steps into his car and drives away.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been trying Brian, Ben and mother all morning and nobody is picking up.  I had to spend the night in jail because mother never picked up last night either.  Bet she was fucking that cop.  Finally, I decide to head to Emmett’s.

 

EMMETT

 

They always say good news travels fast but bad news travels quicker.  Well looking at the speed he is going towards my shop, I’d say the news is pretty bad.  Now I’m not a coward but nor am I in the mood to deal with him so I duck into an alleyway and wait for him to finally give up and head to the diner.

 

“He’s heading your way Debs.”  I tell her and then call Ben.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

I put the coffee pot down and look at Michael, who has been raging about how uncaring I’ve been for leaving him in jail overnight.

 

“You were given options Michael.”  I interrupt his tirade.  “Either leave or be arrested.  You chose to be arrested!  I mean I’ve known you to do stupid things but to do that!”

 

He rolls his eyes and then glowers at me.  “What were you doing that you couldn’t come to the aid of your son who should have come first?!”

 

“I was…”

 

“Fucking that cop yes I gathered that!”

 

For once I’m speechless.

 

“Good to know that your needs come before mine as per usual!  How undignified you are mother.  How could you…?”

 

“Babysitting Jenny.  I was not fucking.  I was looking after my granddaughter.  She had a stomach ache and couldn’t face pizza so I stayed with her whilst the others went out. “

 

I can feel the tears start to form but I blink them away.

 

“And you would’ve known this if you had bothered to ask about your daughter instead of running your mouth and your mind to breaking up Brian and Justin and upsetting Slick.  Now get out of here Michael, nobody wants you here.”

 

I pick up the pot and head to a booth.  “What will you have?”  I ask.

 

LINDSAY’S HOUSE – FRIDAY MID-MORNING

 

MEL

 

This is not going to be pretty.  If I know Lindsay, she’s gone for classic WASP counter manoeuvres and has picked the wrong lady to do that to.

 

“She’s had the locks changed right?”  Ben asks. He’s come along to be the voice of reason.

 

“Most likely.”  I knock on the door instead and wait.  The door opens on the chain.

 

“Gus is not going with you. He’s sick and has to stay in bed.”  Lindsay sneers imperiously.

 

“Lindsay be reasonable. This is Brian’s weekend and Gus wants to go to see him.”

 

Slick sighs angrily.  “Fuck this!  Lindsay you have broken the law by changing the locks.  Mel wants to get some things and so you will step aside to let us in and allow her to get them.  If you don’t undo the chain in the next minute, I will ask that nice man over there with the battering ram to open it for me.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare!”  She shouts and slams the door shut.

 

LINDSAY

I look at my watch and over a minute has gone by.  I smile to myself and head to the kitchen when there is an enormous crash and the door flies open.

 

“What the fuck are you doing?!”  I scream at them.

 

“Exactly what I said I would do.  Now sit your flat ass down and let’s talk about this tenancy and by the way you’re paying for a new door.”

 

Three hours later, they’re finally starting to leave.  I had followed Mel around to make sure she didn’t take anything belonging to me, most specifically Gus.  The door has been fixed and keys given.  Much to my annoyance, Slick made me pay for the door immediately.

 

I finally got them outside and watch smugly as they get in and drive away. Then I head to Gus’s room as he’s still sulking after I told him that he couldn’t go to see his father until he apologised for his rudeness.  I pull open the curtains and find myself staring at an empty bed.

 

“Gus!”  I scream and rush out the door and start to head out the front when something catches my eye.  I rush to the back door and rip down the note he’s pinned there.  

 

‘Bye Mom!  See you Sunday!  As you can tell I went out the back door!  And no I’m not sorry for that either.  Yours, Gus.’

 

MEL’S RENTAL CAR

 

GUS

 

We’ve pulled in to the side of the road and they are just gaping at me.  I bite my lip but I can tell by the twitching of momma’s mouth that I’m going to Pittsburgh!

 

MEL AND JENNY’S HOUSE – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

JENNY

 

Hunter and I are still laughing at how Gus got away.  “Dad always said that sometimes simplest is the best.”   He giggles.

 

“Speaking of dad’s.  Did you hear what happened to mine?”  I ask.

 

He nods and helps himself to another cookie.  “Yeah I heard him screaming about it to mom.”

 

“What do you think you mom is going to do about this, you being here I mean?  Do you think she’ll call the police?”

 

“She can’t he has his rights.”  Mom reassures me.  “Gus went willingly, albeit without her permission, but he did let her know he was going.”

 

“So how mad was dad about this?”  He asks mom and I try to keep the smile off my face.

 

“Not mad at all.”  Uncle Brian drawls.  “And you’re right I do always say that.”

 

“Dad!”  Gus shouts and flings himself into his arms.

 

“Come on Sonny Boy. Let’s go home.”

 

Just then Gus’s phone rings.

 

“Yes mom?  No, I’m not coming back until Sunday.  Mom like I said, I know everything.  I want to live with dad and if you try and stop me, I will never forgive you and unlike you I don’t break my promises.  Goodbye mom.”

 

“Woah!”  Hunter smirks.

 

“See you tomorrow Jenny, Hunter!”  Gus calls out as he leaves.

 

BRITIN – SATURDAY MORNING

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

“Lindsay it is very simple.  Mel will give Ted all the details of the bills that need to be paid for Gus and they will be paid directly from now on.  Mel will be speaking to Michael directly.  I’m sure you must have put aside some of that money for yourself; you are a WASP after all.  We don’t talk unless there is an issue with Gus and since he’s here…goodbye.”

 

I lean back in my chair and close my eyes for a bit and slowly find my lap being filled with Justin.  “Tough call?”  I nod.  “What are you going to do about Jenny? Michael isn’t suddenly going to start paying is he?”

 

“Mel says she’ll be fine but if she needs anything that she will definitely almost maybe ask.  She also apologised to me but thought that Lindsay had told me that Michael wasn’t paying.”

 

He smiles softly and as I tighten my arms around him, he mumbles, “I know.  If I tell anyone you’ll castrate me.”

 

GUS

 

I haven’t seen dad and Justin for a while so head to the study where I knew Justin had headed.  I was about to call out to them when I see them.  Justin has dad’s head in his lap and he’s running one hand through his hair and their fingers are entwined on dad’s chest.  They’re talking quietly to each other.  I leave them to it.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I stare at Mel and the document she has put in front of me.  

 

“Either you pay support or you give up your rights.  Ben is here to witness whatever document you sign.”

 

“This traitor!”  I snarl and then fold my arms when they both roll their eyes.

 

“We have been here for the last hour.  Sign one of them and let’s move on with our lives.  And for the love of fucking God get over the fact that Ben and Brian slept with each other BEFORE he met you!  It’s was just fucking!”  Mel berates me.

 

“You should have told me Ben!”

 

“You first.”  Ben states.

 

“Me first what?”

 

“You tell me about the guys you slept with before me.”

 

“This not about me! This is about you betraying me with my supposedly best friend!”

 

“How can I have betrayed you when I hadn’t met you?”  Ben growls in annoyance.

 

“Michael focus!”  Mel grinds out.  “If you re-sign the original support agreement, you pay the amount noted and you retain your rights.  If you give up your rights then you pay nothing and have no say, but you can still see her.  Much like Brian did.”

 

“Fine! I retain my rights on the condition that…”

 

“No conditions.  You are re-signing the original support agreement. If you want to add conditions, then we go to court.”  Mel huffs.

 

I am furious!  Quickly I sign the document and Ben witnesses it and they leave.

 

I quickly call Lindsay.  “You are not going to believe what Mel has just done!”

 

BRITIN – SUNDAY EVENING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I look at my blonde bombshell – when the hell did I think of him as my bombshell – and smile.  We’ve had an excellent weekend with Gus.  They get on so well.  It was just us three once he came back from Slick’s and now it’s just the two of us as it has been for the last two Sunday evenings and we’ve had a nice bath just like the last two Sundays.

 

He’s banked the fire and so it’s nice and warm.  “Thank you.”  I murmur kissing him softly.

 

“What for?”

 

“Just thank you okay.”  I kiss him again tangling my fingers in his hair.

 

I chuckle as he starts to climb and I carry him to bed.  “My sexy little monkey”.  Our kisses get deeper and deeper as I lay him gently on the bed.

 

“Brian?”

 

“Mmm?”  I kiss and nibble at his neck then suck gently causing him to make that lovely purring noise I like so much.

 

“Can I-I um make love to you?”

 

I stop and look at him and surprise.  “What?”

 

“Not right now obviously but at some point can I?”  I just continue to stare at him.  “Okay I’ve killed the mood I know but…”

 

“Yes.”  I whisper kissing him again before brushing his hair out his eyes.  “Yes you can but not today. Too much has gone on this week.”

 

“I know, let’s just go to sleep then.”  He smiles and burrows back into my chest.

 

I pull the blankets up around us and bury my nose in his hair as the smell of his, no our, Sunday scent helps me drift off to sleep.