Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 15: PAINFUL

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

The entire diner is quiet. I think everyone is holding their breath.

 

 

 

"Are you going to finish that sentence?"  Jennifer's voice is low, controlled and icy.

 

 

 

Michael shakes his head.  "Good.  Now leave. This is private function and you were not invited."

 

 

 

"Brian..." He begins but starts to step back as Daphne advances.  "I'll call you later. We've got to talk!"

 

 

 

He stomps out but stands glowering through the window.  Slick grabs the roll of brown paper she brought with her and between her and Emmy Lou they tape it to the window and the door.  Then hangs the sign ‘private function - diner will reopen this afternoon' on the both the window and the door.

 

 

 

"I had wondered what the paper was for."  Debs murmurs.  "So shall we eat some more?"

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

After standing there watching them block me out, I decide to head home and speak to someone rational.

 

 

 

Once indoors I make myself a cup of coffee and look for Ben. He came home late last night and was gone before I got up this morning.  I had hoped he would be back by now.

 

 

 

"Went for a run."  I jump out of my skin at Hunter's voice.  "Needed to clear the..."

 

 

 

"Hangover?"  I query.

 

 

 

"No.  And if you had been there for longer than an hour you would've realised that he only had one drink."  Hunter flops down on the sofa and stretches out.

 

 

 

"It's okay, I didn't want to sit on the sofa anyway."  I mutter sarcastically as I head to the study.

 

 

 

"Good!"  He calls back and I hear him click on the TV and turn up the volume.

 

 

 

"What the fuck is his problem?"  I gripe but then take a deep breath and have some more coffee, before FaceTiming with Lindz but get Mel first.

 

 

 

"Michael, how are you?"

 

 

 

"Fine, is Lindz there?"

 

 

 

"Jenny, Gus and I are fine thanks so much for asking.  I'll just get her."

 

 

 

"Michael!  How are you?  You don't look very happy. You and Ben had a fight or something?"

 

 

 

"No Ben and I are just fine, though Hunter's attitude needs adjusting.  He seems to forget that I'm practically his stepfather and he should be more respectful.  No, the reason for the upset is that Brian went to New York..."

 

 

 

"Yes he said he was going.  He went with your neighbour, Matthew I think he said and..."

 

 

 

"Justin. He also took Justin.  You know the barfing twink."

 

 

 

"He did? He never mentioned that. Did he tell you about that?"

 

 

 

"No!  I found out about it when his mother and best friend turned up trying to find him and then..."

 

 

 

"Wait, start from the beginning..."

 

 

 

I spend the next half an hour explaining what has happened. At the end she looks thoughtful.

 

 

 

"So what are we going to do?"  I demand.

 

 

 

"Was Brian near him at the diner?"  I shake my head.  "So he's most likely already had him in New York and was just bringing him to the diner for his mom and best friend to pick up and be on his way back home right?"

 

 

 

"Yeah, you're right.  He'll be back to being the Stud in no time, though he's got 5 more dinners to go to with him."

 

 

 

"Which knowing Brian, he will find a way to get out of. It's not as if Justin is going to run bleating to the press is it or anyone else for that matter?"

 

 

 

"True.  You see this is why I can talk to you about Brian. We know him better than most.  We've got that history that binds us together."

 

 

 

DINER

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

"I don't think I can eat another thing."  I groan and Brian and my mom raise their eyebrows.  "I'm serious.  I'm full."

 

 

 

Emmy Lou scoffs.  "You know what I think you can squeeze in one iddy biddy slice of my candied hazelnut and chocolate pie?"

 

 

 

I almost cave as truthfully, I had been eyeing it since it was unboxed in the hope that I could take at least some of it back to the apartment with me.  "Or shall I just box it back up and you take it home...?"

 

 

 

I blush and then smile hugely as he does exactly that, much to everyone else's amusement.

 

 

 

Daphne grins.  "So Justy what time am I coming round tonight?  You know to help you with that pie?"  I look horrified.  "Kidding, I'm just kidding!"

 

 

 

"Mom, mom are you okay?"  I ask. She's looking at a subdued Slick.

 

 

 

"Mmm.  I'm okay but she's not."  She sits next to her and takes her hand.  "Thank you for giving me my son back.  If it wasn't for you giving him somewhere to stay well we would still be looking in New York."

 

 

 

"Hey don't thank me, thank Carl."  Mom looks between the two of them.  "He told Justin about the competition."

 

 

 

"Well thank you. Thank you all for this. Listen, what are you all doing next weekend? I insist you come over for dinner.  And Molly will be back from camp, once we've told her..."  She tails off.

 

 

 

"You haven't told her you've found me?!"  I'm shocked and disappointed.

 

 

 

"No honey, I tried but we had an argument. It was then I found out what he told Molly.  He-he said that you told him you never wanted to see her again and you said you no longer had a sister."

 

 

 

"Jesus fucking Christ!"  Brian snarls standing up and clenching his fists before I pull him down next to me and kiss his temple.  "Sorry."  He mumbles into my hair.

 

 

 

"No, thank you for being upset."  I whisper back.

 

 

 

"So uh Slick, are you going to show me this emporium of yours?  I actually have a need of help for a 1949 Old..."

 

 

 

"You still have the Oldsmobile, are you kidding me?!"  I squeal, "I loved that car!"

 

 

 

"Sorry say that again you have a what?"  Slick has brightened up a bit.

 

 

 

"A 1949 Oldsmobile, we learned to drive in it...are you okay?"

 

 

 

"Tell me you have a picture of it?"  Daphne fishes out her phone and shows her.  "Yeah I'll be there next weekend and I think Idaho will be very upset if he doesn't tag along too."

 

 

 

"Idaho? Who's Idaho and is he straight?"  Daphne asks looking around.

 

 

 

"One of my engineers and no and nor does he have a brother that is."  She replies tongue in cheek.  "Girl, you're on Liberty Avenue. Unless you munch, you ain't getting nothing here."

 

 

 

"Figures.  But why Slick?  I mean what's your real name?"  Daphne asks.

 

 

 

"Never use it."  She replies sadness clouding her face and then she sighs.  "You and I both have a dad problem, Justin."

 

 

 

"Your dad threw you out because you're gay?"  Mom asks quietly.

 

 

 

"No, whereas Justin's dad hates him, I hate my father.  He named me and I refuse to use it, so I use the childhood nickname my mom gave me.  Oh, we'll be shutdown on Tuesday, so Justin you get the day off... paid of course."

 

 

 

I look at Brian and then Emmy Lou, who both have a look of something on their faces.

 

 

 

"Why do you hate your father?"  Daphne, as usual is full of questions.

 

 

 

I have a feeling this is really bad.  "Uh Daph, I think we should leave this alone, I'm not sure that..."

 

 

 

"It's okay. Some know and some don't.  He killed my mom."  She answers simply.

 

 

 

"Oh my God!"  Daphne gasps.  "I'm so sorry!"

 

 

 

"Shit sweetheart!  I knew there was something about your mom but I had no idea it was that!"  Debs pulls her in for a hug her eyes brimming with tears.

 

 

 

"Not as sorry as he is. He's in Ryker's and not the big man so much now."  She snorts quietly.

 

 

 

"What's your dad's name?"  Carl queries.

 

 

 

"Harriman, Pernell Harriman.  But I use my mom's maiden name now."

 

 

 

"Ah I understand your caution now."  He nods and squeezes her arm and shakes his head at Debs.  "If it's okay with you Slick, I'll tell her later."

 

 

 

She nods and wraps her arms tighter and closes her eyes for a minute.

 

 

 

"You two knew didn't you?"  I look between Brian and Emmy Lou and they nod.

 

 

 

"When they make a promise and I say lock it down they never break it."  She scrunches her nose at them and Emmy Lou wipes his eyes.

 

 

 

"So Tuesday? Is that the day he..."  Daphne whispers horrified.

 

 

 

"No it's her birthday and I like to be by myself.  To remember her..."

 

 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S HOUSE - AFTERNOON

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

"Hey, is that you Ben?  Are you're finally home?"  Michael calls out.  "Where have you been all morning?"

 

 

 

"Went for a run and then had a few errands to do."  I reply heading to the lounge where he's drinking coffee and reading a comic book.  "Why aren't you at the store?"

 

 

 

"Oh closed up early.  You did errands in your running gear?"  He hasn't looked up but his disapproval is evident in his tone.

 

 

 

"No, I came back and changed before running the errands."  That gets his attention.

 

 

 

"Really? I didn't hear you come in.  I've told Hunter about having the TV on so loud..."

 

 

 

"Nothing to do with Hunter.  You were speaking to Lindsay, how's Jenny?"

 

 

 

"Fine as far as I know."  He tilts his head and stares at me for a bit.  "Are you okay? You seem a little off."

 

 

 

"I'm fine, Michael... just great.  Do you know what private function is being held in the diner?  And why it is all wrapped up?"

 

 

 

"Oh that kid's mom and best friend were there. Brian dropped him off to reunite with them before he goes back home with them.  Do you fancy eating out this evening? I think that Hunter is out with friends."

 

 

 

"Justin's leaving?  I'm surprised to hear that.  But why was it all wrapped up?"

 

 

 

He shrugs but looks guilty. "So where are we going for dinner?"  I'm wondering about his guilty expression.  "Ben, are you listening to me? Where are we going for dinner?"

 

 

 

"Oh I would love to try Six Penn Kitchen.  Apparently the food is good and huge portions."  I reply hiding my smirk.  "We can go to Babylon afterwards since we've not danced in ages."

 

 

 

"Okay let's do that. You book the restaurant and I'll call the guys for Babylon.  Make it like old times."

 

 

 

I smile at him and head to the study and later on make sure that all the guys know about it.

 

 

 

JUSTIN'S APARTMENT - EARLY EVENING

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

I can't believe how blasé and matter of fact about it Slick was.  And that gets me to thinking about what Hobbs almost did and how everyone I left behind would feel.

 

 

 

"Justin, don't."  Brian pulls me into his arms.  "Don't dwell on what if and don't feel sorry for Slick. She hates pity over this.  In her mind her mom has had justice served, okay?"

 

 

 

I twist the buttons on his shirt then look up at him.  "I want to say thank you to her."

 

 

 

He nods and cards his fingers through my hair soothing my frazzled nerves.  "How?"

 

 

 

I sigh and contemplate the question.  "I don't know but will think of something."

 

 

 

"Good. Can we leave this for now and get some dancing clothes picked out?"

 

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

 

"We're meeting the guys at Babylon and..."

 

 

 

"Babylon!  Oh my God I haven't been to a nightclub in forever and I love to dance."

 

 

 

"You do?  Then you and Emmy Lou can burn up the dance floor, while the rest of us prop up the bar.  Well Ben may throw some shapes at some point..."

 

 

 

"Does that mean that Michael will be there too?"

 

 

 

"I should imagine so since he was the one inviting me out."

 

 

 

"He's still not realised?"  He shrugs kissing me gently.

 

 

 

"Apparently not.  Now come on let's get ready. We're going from The Loft, so pack an overnight bag."

 

 

 

SIX PENN KITCHEN

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

"Okay.  Next time we come here we order less dishes."  I groan.  "At least I'll be able to dance this off soon.  Did you enjoy yourself?  Michael? Michael? Earth to Michael."

 

 

 

"Huh oh sorry.  Yes I've enjoyed myself. It was nice to be on our own, but come on let's head to Babylon. It's going to be great!"

 

 

 

I nod and smile and settle the bill.  Justin was right about the portion sizes. I really need the thumpa-thump to work this off.

 

 

 

BABYLON

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

"Will you stop tugging at it? You look great!  Better than great."  I grin at him as we head to the front of the line.

 

 

 

"Brian we can't just push in."  He whispers horrified and I grin at him.  

 

 

 

"You can when you own it."

 

 

 

His shocked expression is so adorable but I have to push his chin back up.  "You own it? But-but... when?"

 

 

 

"Just before the bombing and I wasn't going to rebuild but Michael and Ted talked me into it."  My eyes drift to the plaque of remembrance and think how Michael's name could've been on there.  "He was really badly hurt."

 

 

 

"Who was?"  He's reading the names of those who died.

 

 

 

"Michael. They had to remove his spleen..." I trail off and shudder slightly at the memory.

 

 

 

"Jesus.  I'm sorry."

 

 

 

"But he's fine now and that's all that matters. Now come on let's find the guys. Emmy Lou said he'd be by the bar."

 

 

 

As we push through the crowds I try not to react to the appreciative looks Justin is getting.

 

 

 

"Hey guys!"  Emmy Lou's voice cuts through the chatter.  "Hey you gorgeous things!  Now don't you look fine!  Ted and Blake have grabbed the booth upstairs while I volunteered to be the scouting party.  Ooh there's Ben... You guys go on up; I'll wait for them."

 

 

 

EMMY LOU

 

 

 

I try very hard not to smirk as Brian glowers at anyone that even looks in Justin's direction.  Justin, of course, is too busy bopping his head and bouncing on his toes to notice.  For someone so beautiful, he is completely oblivious to how he looks.

 

 

 

"Hey Ems, been waiting long?"  Ben greets me with a kiss on the cheek.

 

 

 

"Nope, we're upstairs in the booth. Brian's just gone up with..."

 

 

 

"Emmett what on earth are you wearing?"  Michael looks scornful and I try not to grimace.

 

 

 

"My best of disco outfit of course, what else would I wear to shake my thang?"

 

 

 

He rolls his eyes and looks around.  "Where's Brian?  Cruising around no doubt."

 

 

 

I shrug and avoid looking at Ben.  "I know he was heading to the booth, so let's go."

 

 

 

I lead them up and am surprised when we get there to find that Justin isn't there and Brian is leaning over the rail staring at the dance floor.  He jerks his head and I nod and head back down.

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

"What's Idaho doing here?"  Michael gripes as we head to the booth.

 

 

 

"He's most likely here with Emmy Lou."  I reply.  "Where is Emmy? He was here just now."

 

 

 

"Not sure, but the further away I am from that outfit the better."  Michael bitches just that little too loudly.  "Seriously, purple and green do not go together unless you're the Joker." Leave it to Michael to think of a comic book reference even as he insults what's supposed to be his friend.

 

 

 

"Oh I think he pulls it off just fine."  Idaho drawls with an edge to his voice. "At least he's dressed for the occasion."

 

 

 

He casts his eyes over Michael's outfit of a thin jumper and jeans.

 

 

 

"I was going for subtle sophistication."  He huffs.

 

 

 

"You missed."  Idaho retorts.

 

 

 

Before it could escalate into all-out war, which Michael would lose judging by the fire in Idaho's eyes, Brian comes back.

 

 

 

"Brian!  Where have you been? Sucking or fucking?"  Michael grins at him.

 

 

 

"Neither. Just been in the office going over some things." He shrugs before turning to Ted. "We really need to come up with a poster for the Studs-N-Studs Party. The one from last year sucked."

 

 

 

Ted nods in agreement.  "Okay. I'll source some people."

 

 

 

"No more work talk."  Blake is stern.  "We're here to unwind and boogie understood."

 

 

 

Brian and Ted look suitably chastened.

 

 

 

"Speaking of boogying, I believe they are playing my song."  Brian saunters downstairs with a smirk.

 

 

 

"He's back!"  Michael crows in my ear.  "The King has come to regain his thro...what the hell is HE doing here?!"  I wince at the decibel level and turn round and it's not Justin he's screeching about.

 

 

 

"Now what's got your panties in a...oh Brandon."  Idaho nods in his direction and Brandon nods back.

 

 

 

"How do you know him?"  Michael demands glaring in Brandon's direction.

 

 

 

"He's known around here, more in the other clubs. He only started to come to Babylon recently."

 

 

 

"Well he can fuck off! This is Brian's domain."  Michael growls.

 

 

 

"Idaho, how are you doing?"  Brandon saunters over.  

 

 

 

"Good Bran, you?"

 

 

 

"Fine just fine.  See Kinney has returned."

 

 

 

"As is his right as the owner of Babylon."  Michael snaps.  "Why don't you stick around? He'll be in the backroom soon and then he can show you how a stud really does it."

 

 

 

Brandon snickers and returns his gaze to the dance floor.  "Well whoever he's dancing with is going to be a very lucky man.   And judging by the way that they are looking at each other I suspect he's already got lucky.  See you later Idaho, say hi to Emmett for me."

 

 

 

"I will do.  See you Bran."  He takes a swig of his drink.  "So what the hell was that about Michael?"

 

 

 

"That Brandon has no right being here. This is Brian's place!"

 

 

 

"And Brian doesn't seem to have a problem with him being here. But I see what he means about Brian right now. If that's what they're like when they dance, the fucking must be fantastic!  Excuse me, I need to go get my flaming beauty!"

 

 

 

I groan inwardly as I had seen Brian and Justin dancing...actually not dancing. What they were doing was fucking with their clothes on.

 

 

 

Michael frowns and then looks down and it isn't long.  "What the fuck is HE doing here and what the fuck are they doing?!"

 

 

 

THE LOFT - EARLY SUNDAY MORNING

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

We danced all night and I'm tired, but I had an excellent time.  Well mostly.  Michael seems to have finally grasped that Brian and I are together and spent the rest of the night sulking in the booth.

 

 

 

"Okay the car will be here soon."

 

 

 

"Car?"  I mumble from the sofa where I am lying. When we got back Brian started to repack our bags.

 

 

 

"Yeah we're going to Britin, if that's okay with you.  Unless you would rather go back to your place?"

 

 

 

"No Britin is perfect, but why...oh Michael."

 

 

 

"Yeah. Now that he's finally gotten it, he will be a pest. I'm so glad that Slick pointed that out to me and thank goodness I took away his key."

 

 

 

"He had a key to this place?"  That makes me sit up and look at him.  "And he doesn't now?"

 

 

 

"Yes and no.  He abused it one time too many so I had the locks changed. We didn't speak for about two weeks after I wouldn't give him a copy." I resist the temptation to say anything and he smirks at my silence.  "Car's here come on Sleepy Beauty."

 

 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

BEN

 

 

 

I drop the keys into the bowl and sigh as Michael stomps into the lounge.

 

 

 

"How long have you known?!"  He demands; well at least he's talking now.

 

 

 

"A few days. What's the big deal?"

 

 

 

"The big deal is that I should've been told!  As..."

 

 

 

"His best friend you had the right to know first, right?  Tell me Michael... if Brian was to say to you right now ‘okay you and me, let's make a go of it' what would you do?"

 

 

 

"Brian would never say that!"

 

 

 

"I didn't ask if he would say it; I asked what you would do?"