Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 13: DISBELIEF

 

 

 

DEBS

 

 

 

The silence from Hunter and Ben as well as the booth next to us, is deafening.

 

 

 

"Cooee.   Mind if we..."  Emmy Lou trails off and looks round the booth.  "What?"

 

 

 

Ben and Hunter continue to gawp at Brian and Justin.  "Did, did you just say boyfriend?"  Ben gasps.

 

 

 

"Yes."  Brian replies.  "So shall we order?"

 

 

 

"Sure thing honey.  Slick, the usual for you?  Okay.  So what will the rest of you have?  Ben, Hunter you guys going to order?"  I demand.  "What is wrong with you two?"  I'm playing my part to the hilt. As long as I don't look at either Brian or Slick, I'll be fine.

 

 

 

Hunter slowly looks up at me.  "Brian just said that Justin is his boyfriend."

 

 

 

"He did?  When did this happen?"  I really try not to look at them as I sit down but I catch Brian's eye and that's it.  "I can't do this; let me tell them please!" I beg.

 

 

 

Brian nods, smiles and drapes his arm behind Justin.  Emmy Lou grins and Idaho just looks between the two of them.

 

 

 

"Seems puke is the new love potion."  I cackle gleefully and fill them in.  "And so we have a brand new couple on the block.  I personally think it's very sweet and nobody but nobody is going to fuck them over. Okay?" I look round the booth and the booth next to me and they all nod, with smiles starting to spread over faces.

 

 

 

"Actually, there's another new couple on the block too."  Idaho grins at Emmy Lou.

 

 

 

"What, did he throw up on you as well?"  Brian laughs.

 

 

 

"He did no such thing."  Emmy Lou swats at him.  "He liked the way I calmed him down."

 

 

 

"Ah I've heard rumours of that."  Slick guffaws.  "Apparently, only one other person is better than you at that."

 

 

 

"At what and who is better?"  Hunter demands eagerly, his mind firmly in the gutter.

 

 

 

"Kissing and Brian."  Slick replies and chuckles at his look of disappointment.

 

 

 

"Right I'm going to get your breakfast."  I bustle back to the kitchen.

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

Okay, I knew that it was going to be a shock to them but Ben hasn't said a word since his last utterance. I clear my throat.  "So Ben, where's Michael? Are we expecting him soon?"

 

 

 

"He's got food poisoning. Well that's what he says anyway.  Hunter and I know it's just that his stomach couldn't handle the raw fish.  We had the same as him and we're fine." He takes a sip of coffee and starts to smile.  "But that is nothing compared to how sick he's going to be over this.  I'm so happy for you guys, truly!"

 

 

 

"Thanks."  Justin beams at him and swipes a piece of fruit from my bowl.

 

 

 

"Where'd you guys go for sushi?"  Idaho is idly stroking the back of Emmy Lou's hand.

 

 

 

"Nakama.  He just had to go after he heard from Ted and Blake that they were going."

 

 

 

"Ah speak of the devil."  Slick waves.  "Ted, Blake over here."

 

 

 

"So what's this I hear about my boss and his new boyfriend and a caterer and his?"  Ted grins at us.

 

 

 

"Fuck me...that was quick!"  Idaho mutters.

 

 

 

CARL'S LOCK UP - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

DEBS

 

 

 

So I like the guy but I do not like his car or wrenches. That's the 3rd nail I've broken in the last half hour.

 

 

 

"You had enough yet?"  He tries very hard not to smirk.

 

 

 

"More than enough...thank you."  He hands me a cloth to wipe my hands and again tries not to smirk when yet another nail breaks.  "Goddammit!"  I gripe.

 

 

 

"So I owe you a manicure, do I?"  He finally succumbs to smirking.

 

 

 

"Damn right you do!  I mean look at them," I grumble.  

 

 

 

"Okay how about this?  You go pick up your nails from the store and show me how to apply them."

 

 

 

"Really?  I'd like that but I'm very fussy about my nails."  I warn.

 

 

 

"I prefer the term discerning. Fussy sounds so old fashioned."  He remarks.  "And you don't strike me as that old fashioned."

 

 

 

DEBS HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER

 

 

 

I look at my nails and smile.  "Very good Detective Horvath.  Are you normally this meticulous in everything you do?"

 

 

 

"Oh yes.  I believe in doing everything to the best of my ability.  So what about you? How do you approach things?"

 

 

 

"Somewhat cautiously I have to admit.  I mean I try my very best at all times.  I'm a great cook even if I do say so myself, but there are other things that..."

 

 

 

"Debbie?"

 

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

 

"I would really like to, and excuse the old fashioned term, but I would like to make out with you for a while and that involves you not talking..."

 

 

 

"Zipping."  I murmur as he pulls me towards him.

 

 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S HOUSE - SUNDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

My stomach has finally settled.  I cannot believe how ill I was and they weren't.  That fish was definitely off. I make my way downstairs and find Ben and Hunter talking to Matthew and Griffin in the lounge. I tighten my robe and glower at Ben, who looks nonplussed.  "What are you guys doing here? I didn't think we had arranged anything.  Are we going out?"

 

 

 

"No, no.  We've just come over to ask Ben for Brian's number.  He gave me his card but somebody naming no names Griffin washed the jeans it was in.  I'm trying to set up a meeting for me and him this week."

 

 

 

"Oh you don't need Ben for that. I have it.  Give me a minute..."

 

 

 

"It's okay, Ben gave me it already.  We'll be going now.  Thanks Ben and yes Griffin you do indeed owe me lunch for your washing faux pas...who the hell doesn't check pockets before sticking jeans in the machine?"

 

 

 

"Try Nakama," Hunter suggests as he leads them out.  "The sushi is excellent!"  He shouts after them.

 

 

 

Hunter comes back in and slumps on the sofa.  "How many times must I tell you not to shout down the street?"  

 

 

 

He looks up at me thoughtfully.  "I wasn't shouting. I was speaking, as they had barely got down the first step."

 

 

 

"So Ben, when did they become a couple? Was it after our dinner?"  He frowns at me.  "Matthew and Griffin, when did they start dating?"

 

 

 

"Uh about 5 years ago."  He replies.  I gape at him.  "But they live in separate houses."

 

 

 

"Which is why they work, dude."  Hunter shakes his head at me.  "Griffin is a slob and Matt's a neat freak so they couldn't live together. How do you not know this?"

 

 

 

I ignore his question and try to regain control of the conversation.  "And I have another question for you... how did you get Brian's number?  I don't appreciate you going through my phone for it.  How did you get my code anyway?"

 

 

 

Ben stands up quickly and glowers at me.  "I don't have your code so I didn't go through your phone for Brian's number.  I've had it since he took Hunter to Canada to visit Gus.  And I don't appreciate that insinuation."

 

 

 

"Ben I didn't..."

 

 

 

"Yes you did, Michael.  Now I have papers to grade."

 

 

 

"And I have homework."  Hunter follows him out.

 

 

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY EVENING

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

"This is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, it's a palace.  How do you not live here all the time?"

 

 

 

We've just come back from a walk and although cold still I'm warm from being chased and kissed through the woods at the back at the property.

 

 

 

He blushes and then smiles.  "I do at the weekends, but The Loft is better for work as its closer.  Do you want a coffee or something stronger?"

 

 

 

"Both."  I reply.  "Do you know you are cute when you blush?"

 

 

 

"Did you just call me cute I am not cute I am masculine with a bittersweet edge."  He corrects me haughtily. I really try not to laugh but end up giggling much to his indignation. "No Beam coffee for you."  He pouts and plops down on the sofa next to me folding his arms.

 

 

 

"Brian."  I put my hand on his arm but he pulls away sticking his nose in the air.  At first I think he's really pissed but I can see he's trying not to smile. "I'll just make my own coffee then, just think of how much fun I will have spilling the grounds and the cream all over those lovely and currently clean countertops..."

 

 

 

I get up and dash to the kitchen but don't make it before he scoops me back into his chest. "Okay!  I'll make it!  You are so fucking messy!"

 

 

 

Ten minutes later we're waiting for the machine to beep and watching One Eyed Jacks.  I watch him mouth all the lines.

 

 

 

"What's your favourite movie?"  He asks pulling the blanket up further and moving my hair so he can get behind my ear.

 

 

 

"Yellow Submarine.  I have it on video."

 

 

 

"Do you have the video still?"  I nod and try not to wriggle as his tongue makes its way determinedly to my newly found hot spot at the base of my skull.

 

 

 

"Slick has a VCR we could watch it sometime at yours.  I refuse to have such an antiquated system in any property I own."

 

 

 

I tense up at his comment and he pauses his tongue journey.  "What's wrong?"  Sighing I turn to face him.

 

 

 

"I've finished your car so I won't be at..."  I mumble.

 

 

 

"Cashmere sweater, Prada...I repeat Prada shoes...and since the new season is coming up I will insist that the shoes come from there.  And there's the rest of your dinners, the art show and of course there's Slick...she won't let you go anywhere...and nor will I."

 

 

 

We lock gazes before he captures my mouth and I twist my fingers in his hair.  The combination of the beeping of the coffee machine and the ringing of his phone brings us out of our lust induced haze.

 

 

 

"You do the coffee yeah?"  I nod.  He connects the call.  "Kinney..."

 

 

 

I manage to find a tray and carry it to the lounge and he's still on his call.  I top up the coffee with beam and settle back on the sofa.

 

 

 

"Okay that should work. So we fly out Tuesday evening and be back on Friday morning?  Great Matthew see you at the airport."

 

 

 

He drops a kiss on the top of my head.  "Sorry just need to make one more call, I'll be back."

 

 

 

Ten minutes later, he nudges me forward so he can slide in behind me and again covers us with the blanket.  "So I've got to go to New York on a business trip this week.  And I've asked Slick if I can steal you away..."

 

 

 

I turn round so fast I spill my coffee on the floor, he just smiles.

 

 

 

"She said yes as long as you bring her back a present...hey, hey are those happy tears?"

 

 

 

I can't speak so just nod.

 

 

 

DINER - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

Ben, once again took unnecessary offence but has finally forgiven me. Though I feel I should forgive him for his overreaction.  Ted and Brian are in New York on a business trip and we've not spoken in a week... well we have, but only briefly between meetings.

 

 

 

Mother is talking to that cop still and the way they are billing and cooing is nauseating.  But that's not the only thing that's off.  There seems to be an odd vibe.  I was about to speak to Ben about it when Emmett come in holding hands with whathisname...ah that must be it.

 

 

 

"So when did that happen?"  I nudge Ben.  

 

 

 

"When did what happen?"  He looks up.

 

 

 

"Emmett and In...yes Indigo?"

 

 

 

"Idaho.  His name is Idaho.  Jesus Michael, it's bad enough that you fuck up ordinary words but must you fuck up names too?"  Ben snaps in exasperation.

 

 

 

I was about to say something when two women come flying in the door looking around the diner.  They head to mother.

 

 

 

"Excuse me, can you help us?"

 

 

 

"Sure honey, what's wrong?"

 

The blonde is almost hyperventilating and the other woman is scrambling in her bag.  Rent-a-dick comes over.

 

 

 

"Let me handle this Debbie.  Excuse me ladies, I'm Detective Carl Horvath of Pittsburgh PD, what seems to be the problem?"

 

 

 

"Have you seen this man?"  She's shoving a paper under his nose.  "Can you tell me where he is?"

 

 

 

"Yes, I know him, and he's in New York."  Mother tells her guiding her to a booth.

 

 

 

"He's gone back to New York, no!  We'll never find him now!"  Blondie cries and bursts into tears.

 

 

 

CARL

 

 

 

"Ladies take a seat here and tell me what is going on?"

 

 

 

"He told me, he lied to me!   He said he went there 3 years ago. If I had known he was here, I would've looked for him."  The other lady is trying to comfort her.  "When did he leave for New York?"

 

 

 

"First, who lied to you about this man?"  Debs asks gently.

 

 

 

"My bastard of an ex-husband! He told me he went to New York; even showed me a ticket with his name on it.  I knew I shouldn't have trusted him, you said that didn't you?  You knew he wouldn't leave me and Molly!"

 

 

 

The younger woman holds the blonde close before addressing me and Deb. "Sorry, let me introduce us. I'm Daphne and this is Jennifer and that is her son and my best friend, Justin."

 

 

 

"Daphne, we need to book flights to New York tonight. When did he leave?"  Jennifer demands.

 

 

 

"Tuesday, but you don't need to book flights..."

 

 

 

"Of course we do! We have to try and find him.  I want my son back!"  She all but wails.

 

 

 

"No, no you don't understand. He's coming back on Friday. He and Brian only went there for this week."  Debs explains gently.

 

 

 

"What the fuck do you mean he and Brian went to New York?!"  Michael bellows.