Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 11: DISINGENUOUS

 

 

 

MEL

 

 

 

I clasp my hands together and press them against the bridge of my nose before looking at Michael again.  "What in the world possessed you to say such a thing...actually things?  There are times Michael that I despair of you."

 

 

 

Michael glares at me.  "Okay so the conga line fuck thing was wrong but what I said about that kid..."

 

 

 

"Was...once more not your place to say.   How many people have to say this to you before you take it on board?"  Ben growls.  "So you ladies are now caught up to speed on why Brian is mad at Michael."

 

 

 

"Brian is not mad at me. He's just... Besides look what he did with Jeff at the dinner party."  He crows smugly.

 

 

 

This time Ben looks confused.  "What did he do apart from an interview with him?"  Michael snorts with laughter.

 

 

 

"Really?  Since when does an interview involve tucking in your shirt when you come back into a room?"  He and Lindsay exchange smirks.  "And..."

 

 

 

"He's diabetic."  Ben sighs.  "And the reason he was tucking in his shirt was because Emmy Lou had given him a shot, whilst he was talking to Brian.  That's why he was going to go so he could do the shot at home.  But Emmy Lou said he could do it for him."

 

 

 

"Well I don't know about you but I'm going to freshen up for dinner."  I sigh and leave the room shaking my head.

 

 

 

THE LOFT - EARLY EVENING

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

I'm so pissed at Michael it's not funny but I know I have to calm down before I meet up with them again. I'm not having him ruin my time with Gus. I'm also disappointed with Lindsay because she just believed him straight away.  What I don't understand is why he felt the need to say it. Hopefully come Thursday, all this shit will start to end.  I grin at the thought of dinner with Justin next weekend and hope he's wearing his shirt and my cashmere sweater...that'd be hot!

 

 

 

"Down boy."  I murmur and head for a relatively cold shower.

 

 

 

SONOMA GRILL

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

This place is very nice.  "Brian, how'd you know about this place?"  I ask him. He looks up from his conversation with Gus.

 

 

 

"A client recommended it to me," is his curt reply and he goes back to talking to Gus.

 

 

 

"Jenny, how's your studying for your tests next week going?"  Ben asks.  "Which ones are they?"

 

 

 

Tests? What tests?

 

 

 

"Math, History and Chemistry.  All I can say is ugh!"  She sighs.  "But mom is helping and so is Hunter.  Oh can you help me with English? That one is the week after next. Can we FaceTime or Skype?"

 

 

 

"I didn't know you were taking tests Jenny; I can help too."  I offer. She looks up at me and sighs.

 

 

 

"Can someone remind him that we're not speaking until he apologises for what he said about Slick.  Actually, maybe he should apologise to Slick for what he said, which would be fun to watch."

 

 

 

"No, because if he did she's most probably knock him on his as...butt for it."  Hunter mumbles.

 

 

 

I shoot him a filthy look but before I can speak, Jenny gasps.  "Isn't that grandma?"

 

 

 

We all turn to look and sure enough there is my mother with that cop again. I manage to suppress my groan of annoyance.

 

 

 

"Who's that she's with?"  Gus whispers.

 

 

 

"That's a very nice man called..."  Ben begins to explain.

 

 

 

"Do you think they can join us, dad?  Can I go ask them?"  Gus begs Brian.

 

 

 

Brian frowns.  "Uh Sonny Boy, I think as they are on a date..."

 

 

 

"A date?  Then they have to come over!"  Jenny declares and before I can stop her she's up and heading to the table.

 

 

 

DEBS

 

 

 

"Hi grandma!"  I whip my head round in surprise.  "Jenny!  Hey sweetheart, what are you doing here?"  I pull her into a hug.

 

 

 

"Having dinner over there.  Hi I'm Jenny, her granddaughter, who are you?"  She puts her hand out to Carl.

 

 

 

He smiles and shakes it.  "My name is Carl and it's nice to meet you."

 

 

 

"Would you like to join us?  We've got a booth and I'm sure they can make room."  She starts to tug on my hand.  I look apologetically at Carl who just chuckles and nods.

 

 

 

Once we are all settled and introductions are made, we order and there's a lull in the conversation.

 

 

 

"So how did you two meet?"  Lindsay asks.

 

 

 

"At the diner where I work. He had been enquiring about me." I smile at him and he goes red and everyone looks at him for an explanation.

 

 

 

"We have a mutual friend in common and I spotted them talking and wanted to know her name and where she worked."  Carl smiles.  "All strictly above board. Besides said friend would have my ba...badge if I hurt this lady."

 

 

 

"And who is this friend?"  Mel asks, eagerly, ignoring the eye roll from Michael.  "Actually let me guess...would she happen to know a lot about cars?"

 

 

 

I nod and hear the sharp intake of breath from Michael.  "Slick! Slick introduced you to each other?"

 

 

 

"No actually, we have you to thank for that," Carl corrects him and I frown.  "Don't you see Debs, if he hadn't been so charming about Justin then I wouldn't have had to defend him.   Therefore, I wouldn't have got my chance to talk to your ma, so thank you Michael."

 

 

 

I avoid eye contact with Ben, Brian and Hunter.  Mel finds her drink very interesting.  Gus, Jenny and Lindsay look a bit confused.  

 

 

 

"I'll explain later," Brian tells them as Michael glowers at me.

 

 

 

"So what are your plans for tomorrow?"  Carl asks Gus and Jenny.

 

 

 

"Oh we're going to see Slick. She's taking us to a...what's it called again dad?"  Gus asks.

 

 

 

"Teppanyaki.  It's Japanese.  Though she's letting them loose on a car first, which reminds me. I'll bring the toiletries so you can clean up before you guys go to lunch."

 

 

 

"They're going to be working on a car?"  Lindsay frowns but the glare from Mel suddenly has her smiling at him.  "Of course they are; I had forgotten. I'll make sure they have their toiletries."

 

 

 

Michael begins to say something but he too is silenced by a glare from Mel.

 

 

 

"Oh wow."  Gus breathes.  "This food looks awesome. Dad what did I order again?"

 

 

 

"Seriously Sonny Boy, what am I going to do with you?"

 

 

 

SLICK'S CAR EMPORIUM - SUNDAY MORNING

 

 

 

BACK LOT

 

 

 

JENNY

 

 

 

"Slick where are you?!"  I call out and then I spot her carrying a tin.  "Please tell me those are cashew nut butter and honey cookies?"

 

 

 

She cocks her head on one side.  "Maybe but they may also be ginger millionaire bars."

 

 

 

"Give.me.the.tin...please."  I beg and ignore her laugh as I rip it open and squeal my delight.

 

 

 

For the next couple of hours we work on the car we worked on the last time.  But every so often I spot a flash of blonde from the window and it is driving me bonkers.

 

 

 

"Hey is someone up there?!"  I call up.  Silence.  "You're really bad at hiding!"

 

 

 

"Not hiding just observing!"  A voice calls down.

 

 

 

"Well Mr. Observer, my name's Jenny. Who are you?"  At first, I don't think he will answer.

 

 

 

"Justin."

 

 

 

"Justin? Wait as in the Justin who barfed on Uncle Brian?"  Gus and Hunter, hearing my shouting, come in to see who I'm talking to.

 

 

 

"Uh yeah but..."

 

 

 

"Justin is that you?  It's Hunter. What are you doing up there? Come on down and meet some good friends of mine...Gus and Jenny."

 

 

 

"I uh...um okay.  Give me about ten minutes."

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

Shit, shit, shit and double shit!  I hadn't meant for them to notice me. They were working on the car and it was such a great scene.  I call Brian.

 

 

 

"Hey um, sorry to interrupt your day but I've been invited downstairs to meet some good friends of Hunter's, who happen to be Gus and Jenny.  No, it's not that... It's just I didn't want you to think that...oh okay, I'll go say hi then."

 

 

 

I go downstairs feeling slightly nervous but Slick just winks at me from her spot detailing a Lotus and mouths it will be okay as I head to meet them.

 

 

 

"Hi I'm Justin, you must be Gus and Jenny."

 

 

 

"Hi.  What's with the pad?"  Gus points at it.

 

 

 

"I like to draw..."

 

 

 

"Oh, I wish I could, want to help?  We're fixing up this VW Convertible so that I can persuade my dad to let me take it to Canada."

 

 

 

"You look so much like him."

 

 

 

"Everyone says that, can't see it myself."  Gus grumbles before grinning at me, "Oh can you draw me so he can keep it?"

 

 

 

"Sure, can you sit for about 20 minutes?"

 

 

 

He nods and smiles that Kinney smile.

 

 

 

DEBS - EARLY EVENING

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

"So I take it you enjoyed the Teppanyaki experience?"  They have been chattering nonstop about the food, the restaurant and everything.

 

 

 

Jenny nods enthusiastically.  "And before that we worked on the VW with Justin, well..."

 

 

 

"Jenny."  Gus hisses.  "Remember what we discussed."  She grins and then nods.

 

 

 

"Well, while Justin worked on Uncle Brian's car..."

 

 

 

"Justin?  Justin was there?"  Ben looks surprised then smiles at me.  "Seems determined to pay his debt off doesn't he.  Sign of good character I think."

 

 

 

Michael's snort gets Mel's full attention.

 

 

 

"So what is the problem with Justin, you have Michael?"

 

 

 

"I don't have a problem with him pre se but..."

 

 

 

"Per se, it's per se Michael."  Hunter corrects him.  "And you do have a problem with him.  What I can't figure out is why, so why don't you tell us."

 

 

 

"I don't have a problem.  I just don't want him to take advantage of Brian with this meal thing..."

 

 

 

"How is it taking advantage of him?"  Debs sighs.  "It's a meal a month for 6 months, which is what he won fair and square. Where's the ‘taking advantage'?'"

 

 

 

"Well don't you think it's a little strange that a homeless guy entered that competition and conveniently is sick on Brian and his car?"  Michael begins in earnest.  "And, how come he now has a mobile phone for some..."

 

 

 

Carl had been sitting quietly up until this point clears his throat.

 

 

 

"Michael, do you remember how you met Justin?"  Michael says nothing so Carl continues.  "He was trying to return the money you dropped and you told him to beat it?  Well I told him about the competition so he most likely used the money to enter it and as for him having a mobile phone, he's working for Slick now and she provides all of her boys with mobile phones." He takes a sip of coffee.  "Seems to me you're looking for a problem with Justin where there isn't one."

 

 

 

I let out the breath I had been holding. I hadn't thought how Justin suddenly having a mobile phone would look.

 

 

 

"I still say there's something off about him."  Michael pouts.  "I'm just looking out for Brian's best interests as his best friend should."

 

 

 

Even Gus rolls his eyes at that.