Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

This is a co-author fic with Bea Johnson, who suggested the idea.  She, Nichelle Wellesly and Kathy Hearns are my awesome betas.  Thanks ladies!

Thanks to Marny again for her awesome banner skills.

 


 

DISCLAIMER:  QAF and its characters are the property of Cowlip Productions and Showtime.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

FEBRUARY 2015

 

THURSDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

"Fuck me it's cold!" 

 

I shiver inside my Armani coat, hoping that I don't have to be out here too long.  I agreed to help Debs with this Can You Eat This? Competition, but what I didn't agree to was having to stand outside putting up flyers.

 

"Come on Debs, can we go now?!"  I grouch.

 

"Just one more your highness and we can go."

 

I roll my eyes at her, as much as I love the woman she's working my last nerve today.  Kinnetic is sponsoring the event, whoever can eat the most gets their meals free for six months at a place of their choosing.

 

"Well open the fucking door then, I am after all a lady!"  She cackles.

 

"Thank God!"

 

I hold the door open for her and she slides in and I gallop to get in my side and head towards the diner.

 

              "How much did this baby cost you honey?" 

 

I smile at her, the baby she is referring to is a Rolls Royce Phantom in black with tan interior.

 

              "Just under $200K and..."

 

              "Brian watch out!"

 

I screech to a halt as a slim figure almost steps in front of me, I blast the horn hard and he jumps back on the kerb.

 

              "Fucking idiots why don't people look where they're going!  You okay Debs?"

 

              "Yeah honey, I'm fine.  Looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over."  She comments

 

I shrug and we head to the diner in comfortable silence.

 

DINER

 

KIKI

 

How I wish Debs was here, then she could handle her belligerent son, who's glowering at me from the other side of the diner.  Because if I go anywhere near him I shall smack him with the coffee pot.

 

              "How long is my mother going to be?"

 

              "I don't know she's putting up flyers for the competition and Brian is helping her."

 

              "Why is Brian helping her, why couldn't you do it?"  He sneers.  "After..."

 

              "Why couldn't you do it?"  A voice interrupts him

 

I look up at my saviour and see the delightfully attired Emmett Honeycutt sliding into the booth opposite him. 

 

              "Emmett what will it be?" 

 

              "Coffee Kiki and yes I will come and get it."  He smiles knowingly.

 

              "So Michael why couldn't you help your mother with the flyers?"

 

              "I'm busy with Red...Brian!  Hey what are you doing here?"

 

              "Hey Mikey, gave your mother a lift back from flyer posting, what you two gals twittering about?"

 

He slides into the booth next to Emmett and I watch Michael's face pinch as he clearly wanted Brian to sit next to him.

 

              "Why Michael couldn't help Debs with the posters?"

 

Debs grabs the pot and heads to their table and I heave yet another sigh of relief.

 

DEBS

 

I pour them the coffee and sit next to Michael, who is in a snit about something.

 

              "So?"  Brian prompts

 

              "I was busy with Red Cape as I was about to say to Emmett, doing inventory."

 

              "I thought you did that last week?"  I frown.  "That's why you couldn't..."

 

              "Mother, inventory is done daily.  So Brian how have you been?"

 

              "Fine, I..."

 

Before he could elaborate his phone rings.

 

              "Kinney.  Okay be there in 10 minutes.  Gotta go, millions to make ta-ta."

 

He sweeps out majestically leaving drooling admirers in his wake.

 

              "Mother get up I need to speak to Brian..."  Michael is shoving me.

 

              "Well excuse me your lordship!"  I get up and he runs for the door.

 

              "What's up his ass Ems?"

 

              "It's what's not up his ass that's the problem."  Ems snorts.

 

MICHAEL

 

I look up and down the street hoping to see which way he went but I can't see him.  Fuck!  Why is it every time I want to spend time with him these days he's busy, I fucking hate Kinnetic taking up all his time, thank God he's the Stud of Liberty Avenue at least I get to see him in Babylon, but I have an idea about changing that.

 

I trudge back inside and sit next to mother. 

 

              "Did you manage to catch him?"  Emmett asks

 

              "No, I'll go to his office later."

 

I hear the heavy sigh.

 

              "Michael, Brian is a busy man, you can't keep going to his office like this."

 

              "Mother, Brian is my best friend and he has no problems with me coming to his office he would've said so otherwise."

 

Emmett snorts into his cup.

 

              "Honey he's said but you've not listened.  Now I've got to go, the beef isn't going to marinate itself.  Now Debs, let me know how many entrants we've got by this evening, so I can prep the patties and slow cook them tomorrow.  Toodles!"

 

I watch him swish out and shake my head.

 

              "Can't he tone it down a bit?  Why are you doing this mother, this eating thing?"

 

              "Why are you calling me ‘mother' all of a sudden?  And it's a bit of harmless fun, the entrance fee goes to the centre."

 

              "What people stuffing themselves to win more food, how is that fun, couldn't you do something else?"

 

She stands up and snatches the pot off the table.

 

              "You don't have to attend Michael, it's not mandatory."

 

              "I wasn't going to attend, I have much better things to do with my time."

 

              "Good!"  She snaps and walks away.

 

RED CAPE COMICS - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I've had a quiet morning so I think I shall head over to Kinnetic to see if Brian wants to go to lunch.  I tried to call when I got back from the diner but the bitchy assistant said that he was in a meeting, if he's still in a meeting then I'll just wait for him in his office, and he won't mind that.

 

I lock up and head up to the office.

 

              "Excuse me!  Sir, excuse me!" 

 

I turn round to a slightly dishevelled twink coming after me.

 

              "Not interested in whatever you're selling.  Go away."

 

              "But sir you..."

 

              "I said fuck off, now beat it!"

 

JUSTIN

 

I blink rapidly at his rudeness, okay I may be homeless but I'm not a hustler and I was only trying to give him back the $20 that fell out of his pocket. 

 

              "Hey kid you okay?" 

 

              "Yeah thanks, I was just trying..."

 

              "Yeah I saw what you were trying to do, don't let that asshole get to you, here for your honesty."

 

I almost want to cry when he hands me $10 and smiles as he walks away.  This is more money than I've had in a week, I make money doing portraits for people but it's too cold for people to sit outside for long.

 

              "Th-thank you!"  I call out.

 

              "No problem, oh check out the poster about the burger, you could do with some fattening up!"

 

I turn to look for what he's talking about and there's an eating competition, I can do this, I don't care if I win as long as I eat.  Carefully, putting my money away, I make my way to the shelter to get some sleep.

 

HONEYCUTT'S HOUSE OF FOOD - FRIDAY MORNING

 

EMMETT

 

              "Oh hey Debs, how many; well have you seen the size of the thing, I think 20 people is a good showing.   Okay let me get on with them.  Yeah see you tomorrow."

 

KINNETIC - RECEPTION

 

MARY

 

              "As I said to you on the phone Mr Novotny, Mr Kinney is in a meeting all morning and won't be out until at least midday and then..."

 

              "I'll wait in his office then."

 

              "I'm afraid I can't let you..."

 

              "What do you mean you can't let..."

 

              "Michael what the hell are you doing?"  Ted demands.  "I could hear you in my office."

 

              "Hey Ted, I want to wait in Brian's office until his meeting is finished and she won't let me."

 

              "Mr Schmidt I..."

 

              "Don't worry Mary, Michael come with me."

 

As he follows he turns to give me this smug look and I snap a pencil...as I always do when he's on the phone or in the office, I get through a lot of pencils.

 

TED'S OFFICE

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Did you say her name is Mary?"

 

              "Yes why, oh no Michael, you're not asking Brian to fire her simply because she's doing her job, nobody but nobody goes into Brian's office without his permission."

 

              "I'm not nobody, I'm..."

 

              "Treading on thin ice here."  I pause his mantra.  "Now what did you want to see Brian about?"

 

              "I wanted to take him for lunch."

 

              "He has lunch plans already."

 

I frown at him and fold my arms, how does he know this and I don't. 

 

              "Stop pouting Michael you'll get jowls.  He's got lunch plans with the client he's in with now so won't be able to go with you and then we've got a meeting together out of the office, which I have to prepare for, so off you go."

 

He stands up and opens the door.

 

              "Michael."  He prompts me.

 

              "Well I'll see you later then."  I tell him.

 

              "Later?" 

 

              "Yes, dinner at Ben and mine or did you forget?"

 

              "How can I forget something I wasn't invited to?" 

 

              "I could've sworn I sent a text inviting you and Emmett to dinner, oh if you can't make it then that's fine, it will just be the three of us then, as Emmett can't make it tonight either.  See you."

 

I walk out of his office smiling, tonight I get to have Brian all to myself, well Ben will be there but that's okay.

 

TED

 

Michael is such an idiot if he thinks that's going to work.  I quickly send a text to Emmett and smile when he replies with ‘fuck yeah'. 

 

BEN & MICHAEL'S - EARLY EVENING

 

BEN

 

Michael, Michael, Michael what the hell were you thinking.  I'm currently sitting in my lounge listening to Emmett tell us about the food for tomorrow and watching the look of fury on Michael's face.  Brian is looking amused as usual and Ted is smirking into his drink, I think he had something to do with their arrival.

 

              "Shall we go and check the stew Ben, we need to make sure that there's enough for all of us now, we may need to bulk it up a bit." 

 

Michael heads to the kitchen glowering at me in impatience.

 

              "Michael what's the matter with you, you're being rude?"

 

              "They said they weren't coming and now they're here isn't that rude of them!"

 

              "Keep your voice down.  What does it matter, they're your oldest friends and there's more than enough food to go round, now grab the cab and let's eat."

 

BRIAN

 

              "Ted, you bad, bad man you."

 

              "What our plans fell through at the last moment didn't they Em?"

 

              "Oh yes, definitely, such a shame but can't be helped."

 

              "Emmy Lou your nose is growing."  I chide him gently.

 

They both look at me with what they hope are innocent expressions, but I've known these boys long enough. 

 

              "Dinner is served, it might be a bit cramped round the table...ouch Ben watch your feet!"

 

              "Sorry just wanted to stop yours from being put in your mouth again!"  He growls at me.

 

Michael flushes crimson and puts the bottle down hard.

 

              "So what's everyone been up to it's been ages since we all got together?"  Ben asks.

 

              "Kinnetic is doing great, we signed another contract this morning and one after lunch, so we're going to be busier than ever." 

 

Ted explains excitedly and I try not to bridle at the eye roll from Michael.

 

              "House of Food is going from strength to strength, I'm looking forward to the competition tomorrow, thanks again for sponsoring it Brian."

 

              "Sponsoring it, you?"  Michael looks surprised. 

 

I nod, but am not surprised that he's surprised, he never listens to half of what people say anyway.

 

              "Yeah, why not me?"

 

              "Well first you barely eat and secondly isn't it a big tacky?"

 

The silence is palpable, I see a bitch fight coming up and as much as I want to see this I want to get my cock sucked and then fuck more.

 

              "Well I'm going to Babylon, who's coming with me?" 

 

              "Babylon but..."

 

              "Me and of course Teddy is coming too!  I can safely say I can think of nowhere I would rather be right now than there getting my Cosmo on.  Come on people."

 

              "But Brian we've done dinner for you, you all.  I mean."

 

              "Like you said Mikey, I barely eat so ciao."

 

We manage to hold it together until we are away from the house and burst out laughing.

 

BEN

 

              "That went well didn't it?  Good job this freezes fine.  I'll leave you to clear up I've got papers to grade."

 

GLC HALL - SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

DEBS

 

The place is set and it smells wonderful in here.  All our competitors are here and we're ready to start.

 

              "Rules are simple, you have to finish the entire thing; that's 15 hamburger, 15 slices of cheese and the bread.  First one to finish gets six months of free food, sponsored by Kinnetic at a restaurant of their choice.  On your marks, get set, eat!"  I cry

 

Part of me is horrified by the spectacle of people just shovelling food in but the other part is in awe of them, there is one guy who clearly does this for a living and he's just methodically going through it.  There's another who just shovelling it in.  Another who has broken it down and slathered it in hot sauce and there's a slip of a thing just eating like it's his last meal, completely focused, hunched over and just savouring every bit of it.

 

              "Honey you're going to have to go quicker if you want to win."  I nudge him.

 

He looks round the room and starts to speed up and boy can he eat quickly. 

 

Pretty soon people are giving up but professional guy and savouring kid are still going.  Savouring kid stands up and gives himself a shake and then goes back to eating.

 

              "Come on you're ahead keep going, come on!"  Ems is cheering on savouring kid

 

Professional guy glowers but keeps eating, but I can see he's starting to flag.  Savouring kid is just focused on the plate and no one else.

 

              "I give up!"  Professional guy calls out.  "Not one more bite."

 

              "We have a win..."

 

              "Not yet...have to finish it to win." 

 

Savoury kid declares and goes back to eating, I smile and put my hands up.  And within 5 minutes he's finished.  He sit back and grimaces.

 

              "Well done, kid, uh what's your name?"

 

              "Justin, Justin Taylor, can you excuse me I need some air."

 

He grabs his bag and dashes outside and after a while I follow and find him leaning against Brian's car groaning.

 

              "Oh shit someone get Brian and tell him to remain calm!"  I call out

 

Justin lifts his head and looks in horror at what he's done.

 

              "Yeah ma what can I...what the fuck have you done, you've puked all over my car!"

 

              "I'm so sorry I didn't..."  Justin begins but ends up puking on Brian's chest and then his shoes.

 

              "You have got to be fucking kidding me!"  He roars