Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

My dear Meriam...here she comes, she's only just begun.  I hope I did her proud xx

 

Note: liberties have been taken with legalities from this chapter onwards, this is to show how Michael views himself as a law unto himself.

CHAPTER 62: MEET BUBBA, A RUN THROUGH FOLLOWED BY THE REAL THING

 

TREEHOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S ROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

“Jeez!”  Brian groans and arches with pleasure.   He spreads his legs wider and plays with my hair as I suck him slowly, making sure I get every bit of the blueberry cheesecake filling off my favourite lollicock.  

 

I smear the last of it over his balls and suck and lick them clean.  “Ah!”  He yells and then shudders his release.   

 

“Christ that was fantastic!”  He pants, grinning down at me.  “Come up here.”  I bring the blanket up with me and we lazily kiss.  “So tell me something...”  

 

“What’s that?”  I suck on his bottom lip.

 

“Since I made you those donuts and I still can’t believe you had four of them…”

 

“Five including this one.”  I smile at him.

 

“Are you expecting me to do those for you on a monthly basis or something?”

 

“Hmm.  Oh at least once a month. So what do you want?”  He frowns.  “You made something for me, so I have to make you something.”

 

“You already have.”  He smiles that smile.  “You make me so fucking happy.”

 

“Oh good answer!”  I grin, giving him a soft kiss.

 

“Although I wouldn’t say no to a piece of sour green apple fudge.”  He smirks.

 

“Fudge?”  I repeat.  “You made fudge?”  I start to squirm but he holds me tighter and kneads my ass.

 

“Or sour cherry fudge.”  He frowns.  “Which to choose?”

 

“Where?!”  I demand, managing to get him to loosen his grip.

 

“Fridge in the back kitchen, 2nd shelf at the back.”  I scoot off him and dash to the door.

 

“Justin!   At least put on pants!”  He laughs.

 

STORAGE FACILITY - WEST VIRGINIA - SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

NANCY

 

Ronald and I exchange looks.  We’ve had nothing to do with Mel since they split but now we have the ignominy of having to deal with more Lindsay fallout.  

 

“What time did they say they would be here?  And is it just them?”  He asks for umpteenth time and looks at his watch.

 

“Jennifer said about three.  So I suppose we’ve got another ten minutes and she’s coming with them.”  

 

A car draws up and Jennifer gets out with two dark haired women.  “Showtime.”  I mutter and paste on a smile.

 

“Jennifer, Mel, how nice to…”  I stop and stare at the teenagers behind them.  “Who are they?”

 

“This is our son Gus and daughter Jenny. They wanted to meet you.”  Mel replies.  “And this is Leda.”  

 

“Oh.”  I’m flummoxed.  “I’m Nancy and this is my husband, Ronald.  You can uh...well, I’m not sure…”  I trail off embarrassed.

 

“Can we just get this done?  We want to get back home before dark.”  Leda clips out.

 

“Of course. We’ve already got the keys.”  Ronald leads the way and opens it in silence.  “Do you have a list of the things that you need to collect?”  

 

“We’re not going to steal anything, if that’s what you think.”  Leda bridles. “That’s your daughter’s forte!”  

 

“Of course that’s not what I meant!  It’s just that well…”  He clears his throat.  “Look, I know it’s me saying it but I am truly sorry this has happened.  We had no idea!”

 

“Ronald, what are you apologising for?”  I huff at him and Jennifer rolls her eyes.  “This isn’t easy for us either, you know!”

 

“Really? It was you she stole from?  It was you she lied to for years?  It was you she hurt in her quest to be Mrs Brian Fucking Kinney, despite having a predilection for pussy?”  Mel asks and I wince at the harshness of her words.  “You created the monster Nancy, congratulations!”

 

“Why did you want to meet us?”  Ronald asks the children.

 

“Just curious.”  Gus stares at us for a few minutes.  “She has your smile.”  He looks at Ronald, who smiles tentatively back.  

 

“And her mother’s heart.”  Mel mutters, looking through the stuff and picking pieces out.

 

“Now come on Mel, that’s not fair!”  I object.  “I apologised via Zee.”

 

“Only because you risked your place in society!  And you wouldn’t have had to do that if you had taught her to play well with others in the first place!”  She barks back before taking a breath.  “Look…”

 

“You were hardly blameless in pandering to her every whim either!”  I snap.

 

“Don’t talk to my mom like that!”  Jenny shouts at me.  “Do you actually know what she did? I mean, have you sat down and actually thought about what she did?”

 

“Now’s not the place for…”

 

“Why not?”  Jennifer interrupts.  “There’s nobody to hear us.  She lied to Gus about giving Brian a letter to give him back his parental rights.  She tried to keep the support money for herself.  She cheated on Mel – once with a man and once with a woman; she even bought a house with her.  Remember the one that you had to make her sell?  She’s done so much, including getting you to fire me.  And…”

 

“We moved to get away from her and she doesn’t know where we live!”  I shout.  “Do you know how heartbreaking a decision that was to make?!” Ronald scoffs and I glare at him before turning back to Mel.  “Do you?  Do you have any idea what it’s like to have to abandon someone?”

 

“Yes!”  Gus yells back.  “I’m no longer her son and she’s no longer Jenny’s mom!  You just walked away but we got emancipated!  You can always welcome her back into the fold, if you’re stupid enough to do that.  I’ll bet she’ll lay it on really thick when it comes to the assault charge story.”

 

I gasp.  “What assault charge?  We knew about the fraud but nothing else, who did....”

 

“Michael hit her…”  Leda tells us, bluntly.

 

“Oh my poor darling!”  I gasp before turning to Ronald.  “We must do something!”  

 

“Like what?  I’m sure the authorities are dealing with it.  And remember what Harold said about the fraud?  She’s made her bed Nancy, let her lie in it.”  

 

“Ronald. This is our daughter you’re talking about.”  I can feel the tears prickling in my eyes.

 

“Who you were more than happy to let swing a few weeks ago, when it looked like she was going to take us down, might I remind you?”   He glares at me.  “Looks like you’ve not changed as much as I thought.  Just because she’s on the receiving end, it doesn’t change my mind.  Not anymore.”  

 

“So you’re condoning violence against women, especially your own daughter!”  I shriek.

 

“I’m not condoning violence against anyone!”  Ronald blasts back.  “But until I get the full story from someone other than Lindsay I reserve judgement.  Look what she’s done, she is the reason we are here!”

 

He takes a breath and looks round the unit.  “Stole, you said?”   He makes his way to the back of the unit.

 

“Well, not from me. She merely took what she thought was hers.  Look we’re all very emotional about this, so let’s just…”

 

“Do you know what that is?”  He comes back with a large flat package and hands it to Mel.  

 

“I have a feeling that I do but I’m really hope I’m wrong.”  She sighs, sadly.  

 

She opens it and it’s a painting.  “Yep, thought so. It’s the painting that Justin gave us before we went to Canada. She said she sent it off because she wanted to change the frame.  Amazingly enough, I forgot all about it.”   Suddenly she smiles.  “And I know just the person to give it to!”

 

“Aunt Liddie?!”  Jenny grins at her and she nods.

 

“Come on, let’s go take it now!”   Jennifer grins, grabbing her phone.  “I’ll call on the way.  Bye Nancy and thank you Ronald, thank you!”

 

Within minutes, we are alone outside the unit.  “Why that reaction to the picture?”  I ask as he locks up.

 

“It’s a Justin Taylor original.”  He smirks at my frown.  “You never did pay much attention to what Jennifer said about her son, Justin. He’s worth millions you know and so, I should imagine is that painting...”

 

“Millions?”  I echo.  “Why on earth did you give it to her?!”  

 

“The same reason that Lindsay took it, because I could.  If you want to support Lindsay then that’s fine but you will be doing it alone.”

 

“But she’s our daughter!”  I state, emphatically.

 

“Alone Nancy.  Just the two of you...  I mean it!”  He retorts and heads to the car.

 

Quietly I follow him with one thought in my mind.  Millions.  That has been sitting there and it could be worth millions.  Dammit!

 

RONALD

 

Try and see if I’m kidding Nancy.  I like the life I have now and although I will be sad…I will not have a problem living it without you.

 

PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY – SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

MICHAEL’S CELL

 

I have just come back from speaking to my secondary attorney on the phone.  He may be an attorney but it is up to me what questions I ask since I am representing myself!

 

I’m brought to a surprised halt when I see someone else in my cell, and that he is going through my things.

 

“What do you think you are doing?!”  I call through the bars as the guard takes his time to open the door.

 

The man’s head whips up and he glares at me.  “What’s it to you?!”  He snarls back but backs off when the guard enters ahead of me.  

 

“Prisoner Bubba Lewis meet Prisoner Michael Novotny.” He stares at us both hard.  “You boys play nice now.”  He leaves the cell with one more glance in our direction.

 

I look at my new cellmate.  He’s a wiry white man, who reminds me a bit of Hunter, but he’s got dark hair and I suppose could be described as good looking.

 

“What did you do?”  He demands coming up to me and I step back.  “I asked you what you did.”

 

“Enough to get in here but they decided that I had behaved enough so no more solitary for me.  For now.”  

 

“You’re WCC, so don’t play the tough guy with me.”  He goes back to the shelf and picks up my papers.  “Since you won’t tell me, I guess I will just have to read for myself.”

 

I can feel the sweat trickling down my back.  “Give me my things!”  I order and try to take it off him but he holds it out of reach.  

 

“What you going to do if I don’t?”  He sneers. Then he steps closer, running his finger down my face slowly.  “That will feel so nice.  Your cheek against mine.”   He purrs and licks his lips.  “Are you a top or a bottom?”  I swallow hard and blink rapidly.  “Or do you want to…”

 

“Of course I don’t want to share!”  I sneer at him.  “But right now I have no choice…”

 

“Everyone has a choice that’s why there’s two of them.”  He starts to laugh at the confused expression on my face.  “I’m talking about bunkbeds.  I wasn’t talking about that...yet.”

 

I feel my ass tremble and not in a good way!

 

PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY – THURSDAY MID-MORNING

 

INTERVIEW ROOM

 

ALBERT

 

We are glaring at each other.  For reasons best known to himself, he is sticking to that question to ask Zaden.

 

“This makes no sense.”  I repeat.  “She wasn’t there.  Remember, the psychologically or emotionally damaged angle you seem to be heading towards has already been dismissed.  So you saying, she scared you into keeping everything, isn’t going to work.”

 

“There is a reason I want to know about her and Brian.  It will become…”

 

“I don’t like things to become, I want them to be.  So again, you can’t ask that question.  And since you’ve told them that you’re going to ask it, they will most likely have prepared her too.”

 

He looks annoyed.  “They can’t do that.”  He pauses.  “Can they?”

 

God, I hate people that play Perry Mason when they are more Hamilton Burger.  “Of course they prepare the witnesses.  Speaking of which, what questions do you want to ask Joan Kinney and why?  I hear that they haven’t been in touch with each other for years.  And she’s not a fan of the lifestyle you both practice.”

 

The smirk on his face tells me exactly what I don’t want to know.  This is a grandstanding child playing dress-up.  “Mr Novotny, let me tell you about the court of Pitts…”

 

“I know all about it.  I’ve been here enough!”  He snaps.

 

“Yes and it’s all your own fault!”     

 

“I have my reasons for Joan and Zaden, like I said.”  He holds his hand up to stop me.  “And another couple of things, I want my cellmate removed and what is WCC?”

 

“You need to speak to the warden about your cellmate, your majesty, and WCC means white collar crime.”  I stand up and gather my things.  “Tomorrow is going to be a tough day for you.  I would advise you to really consider how you are going to come across to the judge and jury.”

 

“The judge and jury will see me for who I am and…”

 

“That’s why you are already going to serve 15 and a half years!”  I storm out.

 

MICHAEL

 

I look across at the guard.  “What’s his problem?”

 

He just looks at me in disbelief.  “You.  You are his problem.”  He pulls open the door.  “And one more thing the warden is not moving either of you.  After you, your majesty.”

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – FRIDAY MORNING

 

OUTSIDE COURT 1

 

BRIAN

 

I know I shouldn’t be nervous but I am.  Michael is determined now and a determined Michael gets nasty.  Debs sent the word out that the entire Avenue shouldn’t come but enough to fill our side and leave his empty.  I begrudgingly had to admit that it was a good idea of Kiki’s!

 

“Mr K, I’ll wait out here.  Vince will be with you guys.”  Phil tells us. He’s got the suit bag that Zee insisted we bring with us.  “Zee is just mean.”  He chuckles and goes to sit down.

 

Justin and I were cornered by Zee last night and told to bring a change of clothes with us. When we asked why, she said we’re smart enough to figure that out!

 

“Okay people let’s go in.”  Ephie orders.

 

When we go inside, he’s already there and I shake my head.  Seriously wear a fucking suit!

 

“Remember let him get a good look at you.”  Zee whispers.  “And then after about five minutes, leave.”

 

EPHIE

 

I take a breath and look around the court.  His side is almost empty, four rows are filled from the back and more people are coming in.  I jerk my head at Charles and he turns round.

 

“Brian, I want you to look to your left but don’t react.”  I whisper.  “I have a feeling the women glaring in your direction are your mother and sister.”  He looks across and although his face is blank, he starts to grind his jaw. Justin strokes his thigh and he’s starts to relax.

 

“He’s calling her as a character witness on his behalf.”  Justin rolls his eyes.  “And he’s also tried to call your dad but he refused.  He needs to subpoena him.  Not sure what she hopes to gain by being here but here she is.  We’re hoping she will do what we want and start to step out.  If she does, you get to see the bitch get slapped down...and slapped down hard.  She will also be removed as a witness.”

 

Brian smirks and kisses the side of Justin’s temple.  Zee clearing her throat gets Michael’s attention so Justin pulls Brian out of his seat and they leave.

 

BATHROOM STALL

 

JUSTIN

 

Slowly, we’re taking each other’s clothes off very slowly.  We kiss every part of skin that is bared before he winds his fingers in my hair and kisses me deeply.  I had thought that with them being there, he would be fast and furious. Instead, he’s slow and gentle.  He’s even kissing my eyes.  He’s taking his time preparing me and takes my hand as he sits down on the seat.

 

“Have a seat my little twat… take your time.”  He whispers and I slowly sink down onto him.

 

“I love you.”  I whimper and start to clench.

 

“I love you more.”  He moans into my mouth and for five minutes, we rock together kissing, sucking tongue and lips.  He slowly strokes and flicks and I have to bite down on his shoulder to stop from screaming. It feels so intense.

 

“Justin oh Justin!  How close?”  He sucks on my neck and presses on my perineum.  

 

“N-now.”  I moan and then stiffen as the waves of pleasure wash over me.  “Oh God yes!”

 

“Oh yeah!  Yeah!  Oh!”  He pants and shudders then rests his head on my chest to regulate his breathing.  “You okay?”  He mumbles. I answer his question with a slow clench.

 

“That was delicious...definitely in the top 10!”  He chuckles.  “But we’ve got to get back.”

 

Slowly, he slides out of me and we quickly clean each other up, while kissing and giggling.

 

COURTROOM 1

 

MALCOLM

 

I had to beg and I mean beg to be her bailiff!  There was no way in fuck I was going to miss this.  He’s sitting there looking furious. His eyes haven’t left the door and he’s ignoring Albert’s attempts to get him to look through his paperwork.

 

I chuckle to myself as you should never ignore Albert.  Albert is a good man but he’s not afraid to pull a defendant off defending themselves in court.  As for Judge Paal, it will be interesting to see how she handles the bombastic fool.

 

He’s practically shaking with fury as Brian and Justin make their way back to their seats.  And the scowls on the faces of the grey haired woman and the woman next to her match his in intensity.  They’ve been looking around with a mixture of disgust and fear.  

 

I smirk at Ephie, who grins back and nods in the direction of Zee. I nod in understanding.  She is a seriously scary woman because she looks so innocent.  But looks can be deceiving.  Ephie asked me if they could arrive early to let in their supporters was his reasoning.  I was happy to oblige by letting them in a good 30 minutes early and judging by the looks and grins they are exchanging- especially Brian and Justin- they have found the stall on the 3rd floor!

 

CHARLES

 

I turn to a thoroughly rested Brian and Justin. It’s a good job that Justin is not being called today as he’s almost falling asleep.

 

“Had a good time boys?”  I ask loud enough for him to hear and he scowls at me.

 

“Oh yeah, it cleaned the pipes nicely.”  Brian snarks and Justin giggles.

 

“Sit down!”  Albert hisses and pulls him back into his seat.  “It doesn’t matter what they have been doing.  Sit down!”

 

Oh this is going to be fun.  

 

MERIAM

 

I can’t believe this and can’t wait to tell them!  As I came into the building earlier, I was stopped by Supreme Court Justice Rausch. He was so concerned after Novotny’s antics the last time he was in court, he ordered a review of the cases and judgements.  

 

“Hi guys, got some news for you.”  I lean in and tell them what has happened. The grins on their faces could light up the sky.  “We’ll tell the family afterwards.”  I tell them as Malcolm clears his throat and nods.  

 

JUDGE NARDA PAAL

 

“All rise for Judge Paal!”  Malcolm orders and as I pass him, he smirks.  

 

I take my seat and look across at the defendant.  He looks agitated and Albert looks like he wants to explode.  Whereas the prosecution look cool and calm.

 

“You may be seated.”  

 

As I look across the court, I spot a few familiar faces.  Solomon Sullivan, Adam White, Harold Foster Brown and Martyn Carruthers.  I look across at Malcolm and again, he just smirks and shrugs.

 

“Your honour, this is the case of the State vs Michael Charles Novotny in the charge of unlawful entry, theft, possession of stolen goods and profiteering from theft.”

 

“How does the defendant plead?”  I ask looking across at him but he is staring across at the prosecution.  “Mr Novotny, please pay attention!  How do you plead?”

 

He goes red and casts one more look in their direction.  “Not guilty your honour.”  

 

“Thank you.  Duly noted.  Counsel may proceed, defence to open.”

 

MICHAEL

 

“Ladies and gentlemen of…”

 

“Excuse me Mr Novotny, but what are you doing?”  The judge interrupts.

 

“My opening remarks your honour.”  I reply slowly.

 

“You’re representing yourself?”  I nod.  “You should know better than that counsellor.”  She chides me.  “The first thing they teach you in law school is…”

 

“I never went to law school, your honour.  I’m waiving my right to an attorney as per the sixth amendment, your honour.”  

 

She peers over her glasses at me.  “Hmm.  So Mr Thomas you are his standby/secondary attorney should he need the help in…”

 

“I won’t need help, your honour.”  I scoff.

 

“Do not interrupt!”  She snaps.   “While you can self-represent, we can and will override you should the need present itself.  Do you understand?”

 

“Yes your honour.  May I continue?”  I ask as politely as I can, while thinking bitch!

 

“You may.”

 

JUDGE PAAL

 

Now I think I understand why Malcolm wanted to be here.  He normally just accepts the cases assigned but he came to me directly.  It seems we have a little peacock by the way he is strutting towards the jury.

 

“As I was saying before, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I will seek to prove that I am innocent of these charges.  I was under psycho…”

 

“Objection!”  Williams stands.  “Previous trial judge has ruled that this is not the case after two psychiatrists- one court appointed, the other a civilian- examined Mr Novotny.  Nor should emotional trauma be considered.  Your honour.”

 

“That was that judge.  She’s different unless you couldn’t tell.  So she will most likely reach a different conclusion after hearing the evidence.”  He sneers at Williams and then looks at me.

 

“Mr Novotny.  This is not a classroom; it is a court of law.  Everyone, without exception, is expected to behave in a manner that is respectful to the court regardless of their feelings to opposing counsel.  No more sniping remarks...”

 

There are smiles and tittering and he turns and glares at the prosecution side.  “Respectful, your honour?  Then perhaps you should tell those two...”  He points to two men.  “That fucking in court is not respectful.”

There is a scandalised gasp from the middle of the court and murmuring.  “Silence!” I bang my gavel.  “Court will come to order.”  As the court settles down, I look at Malcolm who shakes his head.  “Mr Novotny, are you trying to tell me that those two gentlemen fornicated in this courtroom?”

 

“No your honour but they had sex earlier.”  He grimaces.

 

“What they do before or after they are in this courtroom as long as it is not illegal is nothing to do with anyone but them.”  I rebuke him firmly and turn to the jury.  “Please disregard that remark.”  

 

“Your honour.”  Albert stands up.  “Perhaps it would be best if I did the opening remarks?”

 

“Proceed counsellor, Mr Novotny return to your seat.”  I order and after a few seconds pause he sits down.

 

“Thank you your honour.”  Albert almost smiles with relief.  “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this trial is to prove that it was the intention of Michael Charles Novotny to return the property he kept in error, which he claims he was going to do.  As opposed to the prosecution case that he intended to keep and profit from the property stolen and did it in such a cold and calculated way to inflict as much emotional trauma as possible to those whose property he stole.”

 

“Thank you Mr Thomas.  Mr Novotny, you may call your first witness.”  

 

MICHAEL

 

“Your honour, I call to the stand Zee Ugerstacht.”  I smile inside and wait for her to take her seat but she doesn’t move.  “Your honour, can you order her to come to the stand?”

 

“Who?”  The judge looks over her glasses at me again.  “Who are you calling?”

 

“Zee Ugerstacht, your honour. It’s right there on the witness list.”  

 

“I don’t have that name down here…”

 

“Oh wait, I put her down as Zaden Stark but that’s the same person your honour.”

 

“The court doesn’t know that Mr Novotny.  Kindly call your witnesses by the names given on the sheet.”

 

I can feel the blush creeping up my neck.  “I call to the stand Zaden Stark.”  She takes her time getting settled down and after being sworn in, stares at me.  “Let me take you back to the first time we met Zee.  May I call you Zee?”

 

“I…”

 

“No you may not Mr Novotny.”  Judge Paal interrupts.   “I do not allow that kind of familiarity in my court.  Refer to her as Miss or Ms Stark.”  

 

Ms Stark, when did we first meet?”

 

“Summer of 2014.”

 

“Your honour.  You’re supposed to say your honour at the end of the sentence.”  I correct her, smugly.

 

“Only if I am speaking to the judge directly and I’m not.”  She replies calmly and behind me someone sighs.

 

“How would you say we got on?”  

 

She frowns slightly.  “You insulted my son, so I didn’t warm to you.  That didn’t change as time went by.”  

 

“I see and is that why you turned Brian against me?”  She frowns.  “Did my question confuse you?”  I smirk.

 

“No. It’s neither confusing, relevant nor true.  So I see no point in answering it.”  She states.

 

I stare at her and then look to Judge Paal.  “Your honour, she has to answer the question.”  

 

“No she doesn’t as is her right not to.  And besides she’s correct as to the relevancy.  The thefts took place before you and Ms Stark met.  So how is what happened in 2014 relevant?”

 

“I’m seeking to show that because of Ms Stark’s influence over Brian, I was unable to return the things that were given, not stolen, to me.  Through fear of her…”

 

“Fear of me doing what?”  Zee asks.

 

“You’re not allowed to interrupt!”  I rebuke her, sharply.

 

“Yes she is.”  Judge Paal tells me.  “You are accusing her of something so she has the right of reply.”

 

I look at Albert and his face is unimpressed.  “You could’ve used your connections to investigate me.”

 

“Which I would’ve done, if there was reason to.  But there was no reason to at the time of us meeting.  I was asked by a member of the family to investigate in 2015 and that member of the family was not Brian Taylor-Kinney.”

 

“Who asked you to investigate?”  I demand.  “Was it his husband?”  I turn to face Joan Kinney and watch her flinch.  “A union since its inception that has caused yet another rift in our friendship.”

 

I take a quick look at their faces and they are staring ahead looking at the jury so I move closer and their gazes shift to Zee.  So I move back to the stand.

 

“Mr Novotny, are you alright?”  Judge Paal looks concerned.  “You seem to be pacing.  Do you need to avail yourself of the facilities?”

 

“Perhaps your honour, we can have a short recess so that Mr Novotny could relieve his problem?”  Williams stands up and smiles oh so sweetly at her.

 

Fucker!

 

“Mr Novotny, do you wish for a short recess?”  She asks.

 

“No thank you, your honour. I had a-a, um, minor cramp but it’s gone now.”  I glare at him as he sits down, smirking.  “So Ms Stark, let’s come back to who asked you to investigate me and look at why you sought to intimidate me.”

 

“Intimidate you in what way?”  She replies, starting to smile brighter now.

 

“You had on two separate occasions spoken about hiding the bodies when you were angry and both times you looked at me.”

 

“I also said ‘fuck you’ to you on occasion and you remain conjugally untouched.”  She smirks and I can definitely hear snickering.  “So it would be a reasonable assumption, would it not, to assume that it was a figure of speech?”

 

“With your background in the military and security services and the fact that you carry a gun at all times, including around children, a defenceless civilian as myself felt understandably threatened and…”

 

“Objection!  Her gun is only on her person when she is working as he well knows.”  Williams retorts.

 

“I don’t know that now.”  I look at the jury sadly.  “As she has forced me out of his life.”

 

“Objection!”  Williams stands.  “Defendant’s actions caused their estrangement as has been documented in previous cases.  In fact, if Ms Stark had caused this estrangement, why didn’t he call her as a witness in previous trials?”

 

“There was no need to call her!”  I snap.  “She…”

 

“Sustained.”  Judge Paal interrupts.  “Mr Novotny, you are filibustering and I don’t like that. Get to the point of this questioning, if there is one at all.”

 

“The point, your honour.”  I pause testily.  “Is to prove that she intimidated and made me feel threatened.  And…”

 

“So why did you try to attack me twice? Apparently, I couldn’t have been that threatening.”  

 

“Wh…”  I stammer.

 

“Objection!”  Albert stands, startling me.  “This is not known to the defence.”

 

Judge Paal pauses and leafs through the documents.  “Mr Thomas, I have a record of the two attempts that he made to attack Ms Stark, one attempt in this very courtroom.  Why don’t you?” I can feel his eyes boring into the back of my head.  “Mr Thomas?”

 

“It would appear that this has been misplaced, your honour.  My apologies.” He offers.  

 

“Overruled.”  Judge Paal looks coldly at me.  “Is this questioning at an end?”

 

“Yes your…”

 

“Objection.”  Williams stands again and I huff in annoyance.  “The witness has yet to answer the investigation question.”

 

“Oh yes, well remembered Mr Williams.”  Judge Paal smiles at her pet.  “Ms Stark, could you please answer who was it that asked you to investigate Mr Novotny?”  

 

“Talon Stark Kho, or Kho as she is now known.”  She smiles slightly.  “She wanted to protect her assets, namely his forfeited collection.  She didn’t think he would give it to her as per the agreement.”

 

“That has nothing to do…”  I bluster.

 

“Objection! The agreement between Ms Kho and Mr Novotny is relevant.  It was how we found out about the items he purloined, your honour.  In fact, your honour if he has finished his, ahem, questioning, may we cross examine?

 

“Sustained.”  She looks at Albert.  “Should he continue Mr Thomas?”  

 

“No, your honour. He’s talked enough.”  He intones coldly.

 

“I concur.  Prosecution to cross examine.”

 

“Ms Stark.”  Williams begins.  “Let’s start where he left off.  Can you tell me why Ms Kho asked you to investigate the defendant?”

 

She goes on to explain in excruciating detail exactly what my agreement with Talentless entailed.  They produced the print out about squatters’ rights with my hand writing and then a statement from Riley about how the deal for the car came about and not once does Albert object. All he does is glare at me.

 

“Counsel, your honour.  If I may interrupt?”  Albert stands up.  

 

ALBERT

 

“This is most unusual but I suspect you have a very good reason, so you may continue.”

 

“Thank you, your honour.”  I glare at him before turning back to the judge.  “My client has withheld information from me that would’ve made my job so much easier.  Please, could you issue an official warning to Michael Charles Novotny about his future conduct in this court?”

 

“Are you serious Mr Thomas?”  

 

“Yes your honour.  And could it be noted on file should there be a recusing order granted to me?”

 

“Silence in court!”  Judge Paal looks at him sternly.  “Mr Novotny, I hereby warn you that you must disclose any further evidence to Mr Thomas when he demands it.  If you fail to do so, I will hold you in contempt of court and you will be punished accordingly.  Do you understand?”

 

Silence.

 

“Mr Novotny?”  She demands again.  

 

“Yes your honour, I understand.”  He grinds out.

 

“And you owe Mr Thomas an apology.  Immediately and sincerely.”  She orders.

 

“I apologise for my behaviour and it won’t happen again.”  He says but doesn't look at me.

 

“Good enough, Mr Thomas?”

 

“Only just your honour.”  

 

“Does the prosecution have any further questions?”

 

“No your honour.”  Ephraim is looking a little shocked.  “Witness will be recalled for further questioning.”

 

“Witness may step down.”  Ms Stark looks coldly at Novotny before taking her seat.  “I think this would be a good time to recess.  Court is adjourned until 1100 sharp tomorrow!”

 

“All rise for Judge Paal.”  Malcolm orders.

 

Mess with me Novotny, oh I don’t think so!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you