Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 56: DISHONESTY, DELAYING AND DÉNOUEMENT

 

BIRCH

 

“You can't be serious?  Why would they all do such a thing?”  She frowns.  “This is Zee’s doing!”  She snatches the card up.  “See this wo...creature?”  I nod at who she’s pointing at.  “I bet she persuaded them to do this.”

 

I frown and then take the card off her and look at it closely. I sit back and sigh.  It was a very brief look at the people who were in court for his arraignment but her I remember because of the look on her face.  

 

“Peterson, she was at Novotny’s arraignment, and she didn't look happy to see him.  So can you tell me about the garage, especially the contents from Tremont?”  

 

She lights up and I know what’s coming and what it is ain't going to be the truth. She drones on about numerous things until she says something that gets my attention.

 

“Wait... what truck?”  I ask her.

 

“Well he asked me to hire a truck for him, and I would hate to think he used that to transport the stuff over there.  Wait, that doesn’t make me an accessory does it? I only hired the truck.”  She simpers.

 

“Can you remember when that was?”

 

“Not exactly, but I know he wanted it quickly.”  She frowns.  “It was definitely before Justin ran away to New York.  Actually, he’s not paid me back for that.”

 

I roll my eyes, almost snarling focus.  “I need at least a year and I don’t suppose you would've kept the bank or credit card statements for that time?”

 

“I can't remember the year.  Surely you can ask Justin, and as for paperwork, you need to speak to Mel about that.  This is her.”  She points again at the photo.  “And that’s Justin.”

 

“Okay thanks.  Now let's move onto the suit against Holster.  He’s going to counter.”

 

“What for?”  She snorts.

 

“Attempted forced parenthood.”

 

“But I didn't know about the condoms.  Besides he’s infertile as he took great pleasure in telling me!”

 

“He’s talking about the last night he slept with Michael Novotny…” I shudder.  “According to his statement, you came in and saw them post coitus and took a condom out of the trash can…”

 

“They were as…” She almost stops herself but not quite and I can’t help the snicker that leaves me.

 

“Well, there goes your suit then.  You didn’t know then that he was infertile and so it’s attempted forced parenthood, if you want to go down this route.  By the way, what happened to the condom?”

 

At first, she doesn’t say anything but does start to go red. Whether it is in fury or embarrassment, I don’t know or care.  “I got my period.”  She replies, sullenly.

 

“Well it’s a good job it showed up, because that kid would’ve been Novotny’s.”  I gather my things and leave the room. The look on her face was reminiscent of the Scream!

 

SQUIRREL HILL - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

MEL

 

“Sure, I remember when he ran away.  Uh huh, yep.  Okay will get them out and send them to you.  Care to tell me why you want this?  Okay Mr Secretive.  So is he still planning on playing Perry Mason?  Jeez what an idiot.  Okay bye.”

 

I head to get the paperwork he wants and send it to him straight away.  What the fuck does he need our credit card statements for?

 

PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY - FRIDAY MID-MORNING

 

INTERVIEW ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

Well this meeting I’m looking forward to.  I have my ace up my sleeve.  

 

“Prosecuting attorneys Phelps-Brown and Maatje have entered.  Recording commencing.”

 

“I want another psych evaluation.  I want someone else to do it.”

 

“And that would be?”  HB - what I now call His Bitch - asks.

 

“Dr Alex Winter.  He’s a respected psychologist and…”

 

“Sure.”  HB replies.  “When have you booked this for?”

 

“4th January.”  I smirk.  

 

“That shouldn’t be a problem.  You’ve sent him our recording, I take it?”

 

I’m stunned.  “Did you hear what I said date wise?”

 

“Yes, we’re here and not deaf.  Besides there’s the recording should we have missed it!   We will merely go with evidentiary before character ass...discussions.  That okay with you Meriam?”  He looks at her and she nods.  “After all, we have a lot of evidence.  Speaking of which, where’s your repudiation evidence?”

 

“I’m my evidence.”

 

You?  And what are you going to say?  It’s not true, none of it your honour.  How do you think that is going to work out for you?”  HB sneers.  “I’ll give you a clue... not well.  And speaking of not well, as in you’ve not thought this representing yourself thing through, you will need to engage a second attorney.  You can't cross examine yourself, or are you thinking that talking to yourself gives credence to your psychological/emotional imbalance?”  

 

Judge Bitch, or JB as I like to think of her, snickers.  “Judge Carruthers is going to love that!  Why did you tell him?  You ruined the entertainment!”  

 

He shrugs.  “We already have the entertainment when he starts questioning Brian and his mother.”

 

“Oh I have an amendment to the witness list.”  I slide it across.

 

“Fine.”  He hands it back to me.  “Sign it and then give it to the officer so we can get copies.”

 

Fine, what the fuck do you mean fine?!

 

“Where’s the other guy?”  I ask.

 

“He’s at Williams Hire Company going through their records.”  He replies and starts to pack up.

 

I swallow deeply.  “What for?  Is this anything to do with this case?”

 

“If it has, we will let you know.  Good day.”  JB smirks. The fucking bitch smirks.

 

MERIAM

 

As we leave the facility we both take a cleansing breath.  I had forgotten how oppressive prison air can be.

 

“So at least we know what WHC stands for.  We also need to call this Alex Winter guy to make sure he’s booked the evaluation.  He clearly thought that having it close to the trial would delay it.  Though I still can’t understand what he hopes to gain by calling Zaden as a character witness of all things.”

 

“Birch mentioned something.  During his arraignment, he remembered seeing the family briefly but he remembers Zaden’s expression and maybe he’s trying to get her rattled and…oh my goodness! I think I’ve got it!”  He starts to laugh.  “Seems he watched Law and Order over the weekend!”

 

“Charles?”

 

“Let’s see what Ephie has to say and then we have to speak to the family.  But first to Alex Winter.”

 

DR ALEX WINTER’S OFFICE – LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

Alex

 

I stare at the two people in the office and wait for the punchline.

 

“So has he contacted you Dr Winter?”  Meriam asks me.

 

“You’re actually serious?  He’s done all of this?  Fuck!  Apologies Meriam.”  She waves that away.  “The answer to your question is no. I’ve not heard from him at all.  Do you have the first evaluation?”

 

I take the disk and I call in my colleague Raymond in, as is the norm with this.  After we finish watching it, I’m incredulous.  “That has got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen.”  I sigh and sit back.

 

“In your opinion is he…”  Meriam begins.

 

“There is absolutely nothing wrong with the guy except pure spite and jealousy.  He was bad enough before living through Brian Kinney as his best friend.   But then when Justin came along and he just got worse, everyone on Liberty Avenue could see it.”  I grimace.  “But the scarf... that is just all kinds of wrong.”

 

“So we could call you as a witness?”  Charles asks.

 

“Absolutely.”  I nod firmly.

 

“Thank you.  Expect the subpoena by the end of next week.”  Charles smiles and after shaking hands with both of them, they leave.

 

“Fucking hell Alex.”  Raymond still looks horrified.  “I actually slept with that guy!”  He shudders.

 

I’m appalled but curious.  “How…”

 

“Bad!  There’s a reason some men are bottoms and his is because he would suck as a top!  Loose and still… not good!”

 

“Well that’s my appetite ruined!”  I shudder.

 

CHASE DONALDSON & DRAPER – FRIDAY EVENING

 

EPHIE’S OFFICE

 

CHARLES

 

“Jeez you look like you’ve gone a few rounds with Tyson.”  I sit down. We’re waiting for Meriam to come with some much needed sustenance, by which I mean some Beam!

 

“It is like peeling a rotten onion… Oh thank God!”  He gasps as Meriam comes in also carrying a bucket of ice and bringing in Harry with her.  “You think you have gotten through one ugly layer and another one is revealed.

 

“So what layer have you found now?”  Meriam pours four generous glasses.

 

“Williams Hire Company remembers Novotny very well.  He was sometimes late with his payments…”

 

“Payments?”  Meriam frowns.  “How long did he have the truck for?”

 

“A year.”  Ephie sighs.

 

“And…”  Harry prompts.

 

“Seems that the legend that was Brian Kinney didn’t just extend to his sexual prowess.”  Ephie takes a sip of Beam.  “The stuff that was stolen from his apartment by Novotny was also sold by Novotny.  He kept a few choice pieces for himself but he sold the rest.”

 

We are all stunned into silence and stillness.  How the fuck am I going to tell him?  Is my immediate thought.

 

“How can you prove this?”  Harry rubs his forehead, tiredly.

 

“One of the sons bought a table and he still has it.”  Ephie’s smile is grim.  “And some other pieces.  Naturally he’s pissed that he’s got to give it back but I doubt Brian will want them afterwards.”

 

“Witness statement?”  Harry sighs.

 

“Got it.  And he’s prepared to come to court to identify.”

 

“Speaking of witnesses...  He’s put Zaden Stark back on the list… and I think I now know why.”  I clear my throat.  “I think he wants to say he was going to give the stuff back…”  Meriam scoffs incredulously.  “I know but hear me out.   But Zaden coming into their lives with her security background freaked him out and he had to keep it until such time as she wasn’t in their lives anymore.”

 

“Seriously?”  Meriam laughs.

 

“Seriously, he came after my partner and… oh fuck!”  I breathe.  “Give me that amended list again.”  I look at it and right down the bottom is DC – TBC.  “Fucker! That absolute fucker!”  I scowl and know I have to tell them the truth about his and David’s relationship and the money.

 

“Well he’s done nothing wrong, as you know.”  Harry reassures me.  “Let him call him.”

 

“Why?”  I ask.

 

“He’s not called Cutthroat Carruthers for nothing.”  Meriam smiles.  “Just like I’m known as Meticulous Meriam.”   She laughs.  “It could’ve been worse, I guess.”

 

TREEHOUSE – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

CHARLES

 

“As you know, I can’t tell you much before the trial but I can tell you that some of you are going to be called as evidentiary witnesses and character witness for him and by him.

 

“This is a joke right?”  Leda growls.

 

“No and this is what I need you guys to do.”  Meriam smiles round the room.  “Actually more important is what I need you not to do.  This man feeds off of reactions, so don’t give him one.  It’s obvious that he’s going to gun for Justin.  Brian please, I know you love Justin and don’t want this to happen but it will happen; there is nothing we can do to stop him.  However, our secret weapon is the fact that you guys are solid and have gotten past the prom but he doesn’t know that.”

 

Brian huffs a breath of annoyance but then he nods.

 

“Can Uncle Justin do what I do when I give my speech sometimes and use Uncle Brian as his mark?”

 

“Perfect Hunter.  Just perfect!”  Meriam nods and grins.  “Keep your eyes on Brian at all times when you are answering but when he asks a question look at him and remain calm.”

 

“You looked at Zee just then.”  Faal takes a breath.  “Fucking hell!  He’s calling her, isn’t he?”

 

“I cannot answer that.”  Meriam replies.

 

“My lig.  Think end game.  Me, you, the family and him gone.  Done?”

 

“Done.”  Zee replies, quietly and coldly.

 

Meriam and I exchange looks.  “Just to clarify him gone means jail not dead.”  She points out.

“Fine.”  Zee grins.

 

“Great!”  Meriam looks relieved.  “Well now that you have your orders or end games prepared, let’s grab a fucking drink… To the family freight train he won’t see coming!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.