Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 OCTOBER 2015

 

LUTHER STARK'S CONDO - FRIDAY MORNING

 

TALON

 

"Luther honey, why can't I come with you?"  I bat my eyes but to no avail.

 

"Because you would be bored out of your mind and when you're bored, you shop.  Not that I have a problem with you shopping as I like my women to be finely appointed."  He smirks at my new breasts.  "But I would rather you shopped here where at least the stores are better."

 

I sigh and watch him pack his case.  "How long are you gone for again?"  He smiles indulgently.

 

"Four days tops. I need to get this business plan nailed down. Hey how about this?  When I come back we can go to...oh you pick a place and just let me know okay, baby?"

 

I smile at him and nod before kissing him goodbye and wishing him a safe trip.

 

As I watch him drive out to the airport I sigh.  I would feel sorry for Delia but the pull of Luther was just too strong. Oh I pulled away a couple of times over the years but he always pulled me back and now that we are finally free to be together. It's great!  No more sneaking around; no more playing second fiddle to her!  I watch the diamond gate bracelet twinkle in the light...and no more watching pennies. For a millionaire, Zephaniah was incredibly tight-fisted with his money.  If you have it spend it I say and when I say spend, I mean on me and Luther is happy to do that.

 

JFK AIRPORT - AIRPORT LOUNGE

 

LUTHER

 

I'm reading the paper when I feel a warm body slide in next to me.  "Hey you gorgeous thing, how are you?  Before you answer that, come here."  I pull Xanthe into my arms and kiss her deeply.

 

"Luther, have you by any chance missed me?"  She gasps when I let her up.  I nod and grin at her.

 

"So what's in Ohio?"  She asks, flicking her hair back.

 

She reminds me of Talon in a way. Both are beautiful women, but with just that touch of exoticism. With Talon, her mother was Black and her father Korean and with Xanthe, her father is Black but her mother's White.

 

But unlike Talon, Xanthe has just a touch more class. Don't get me wrong, I like both women and they each serve a purpose- just different purposes- in my life and of course neither of them know about the other and that's the way it will stay.

 

"My son Zeus. It's been a week since I last saw him and I've got business in Pittsburgh so we're staying with him before we go to Pittsburgh.  Now when we get there, be the lady I know you can be and charm the guy we're going to meet okay?"

 

"Okay darling.  Our flights just been announced.  I still don't see why we couldn't fly on American or Delta at least they are direct and..."

 

"Honey, they don't do business class and United Airlines does, and I only go with the best.  But I'm sure we can think of something to do for those extra hours..."

 

She giggles as we head to the gate.

 

PITTSBURGH COUNTRY CLUB - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

DINING ROOM

 

MILLIE

 

I'm just staring at Nancy and Ronald. I can't think of anything other than ‘how could you be so bloody stupid' to say.

 

"We know... we know what you're thinking."  Ronald sighs.  "But she..."

 

"Played the fiddle and you danced to her tune?"  Harold interrupted. He's as mad as I am.

 

"I don't understand how you've managed to get back to where you were all that time ago. You had her where she needed to be responsible for her own mistakes and you guys were happier than I've seen you in years.  And..."

 

"Oh my God! Tell me you didn't send her money?" I gasp, stopping Harold mid-tirade.

 

"Well we..."  Nancy looks mortified, deservedly so.

 

"Nancy!"  I huff crossly.

 

"However much it is, it won't last long in New York- not with the two of them using it at any rate and...Excuse me can we have another bottle of the red please, thank you."  Harold sighs.

 

Ronald leans in and whispers.  "Di-did you know about the restraining orders?"

 

"Knew about them? Everyone that was in the immediate vicinity knew about them. How come you didn't?"

 

"We had a problem with the McCandless property and were dealing with that. I heard her shouting but I was so cross that I ignored her and she never told us about them.  When they moved to Canada, we thought it was for a fresh start. At least that's..."

 

"You need to stop listening to what she tells you and look at what she's doing." They look so heart sick that I start to feel my anger abating. "So where is she staying at the moment?  And what about their place in Canada? That will need to be packed up surely.  So haul her ass back here and make her do it!  That's what I would do anyway."

 

Ronald looks across at Harold who nods.  "She was willing to sacrifice your marriage Nancy. Enough really does have to be enough now."

 

"If the positions were reversed, what do you think she would do?"  I ask them both.

 

"Nothing, she would do nothing."  Nancy sighs.  "But when it's your child and..."

 

"They have to stumble and fall and pick their own asses up and carry on as Kiki would say."

 

"Ah Kiki, lovely lady."  Ronald smiles.  I gape at him.  "You've met Kiki, when?"

 

ZEUS STARK'S HOUSE - OHIO

 

ZEUS

 

LOUNGE - SUNDAY MORNING

 

Well this is fun.  I have spent the last almost 36 hours vacillating between wanting to find a place to bury him or bleach my eyes and pour concrete in my ears having had to watch them paw at and hear them have at each other since they got here.

 

He struts in.  "Son, this is a beautiful place.  Must have cost a pretty penny."  He waits for an answer, which he's not getting from me.  "So coffee is where?"

 

"In the kitchen, could you excuse me for a minute?"  I head to the bedroom and bury my face in the pillow and scream and swear for a good two minutes and once I'm just at furious I come back down.

 

He looks up from the paper.  "Cream and two sugars and Xanthe likes it black."

 

I head to the kitchen and force myself to make the coffee properly with no spit, snot or any other bodily fluids.  I'm surprised to find Xanthe behind me.

 

"Zeus, is everything okay? You look a little tense."

 

"Fine, it's just this...this home has rather thin walls..."

 

"Thin...oh!"  She blushes.  "I'm sorry uh, well I'll just take the coffee in."  She virtually snatches the tray from me and then I hear my dad's bark of laughter.

 

"That's what got your panties in a bunch? It's just fucking..."

 

"Dad keep your voice down."  I implore.

 

"Okay Mr Prissypants."  He laughs.  "So what about you? What happened to that lady you were seeing, Meredith or something?  She was a pretty little thing."

 

I stare at him for a good few minutes and wonder how mom ever put up with him.  "We wanted different things and..."

 

"Like what?"

 

"She wanted to be free and single and I wanted to settle down.  So we parted ways. The irony is that she's now engaged to be married.  And I'm..."

 

"Living the life that most men would envy.  You and me my son we have it made. We can get all the women we want for the right price and no commitments.  Now I'm going to have a shower; we fly in a few hours."

 

He heads to the stairs and I can hear his bound up them before he pauses.  "Xanthe, you coming?"

 

Xanthe comes in with the tray and gives me a small smile.  "I see what you mean about the walls."

 

FEELEY PHARMACEUTICALS, ITALY

 

ZEON STARK'S OFFICE - MONDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

ZEON

 

Holy fucking Christ that was a nightmare!  Luckily, we managed to catch the virus before it did any serious damage but it meant I couldn't get to Pittsburgh last week.  I didn't know that Zeus moved to Pittsburgh but since we've not spoken for almost 3 months I'm not surprised.

 

I'm going to be flying there tonight instead and as I'm wondering where to stay when my intercom goes.

 

"Zeus Stark on line one for you."

 

"Uh put him through.  Zeus, have you saved me a trip to whythefuckPittsburgh?"

 

He laughs and I can see him rolling his eyes.

 

"No you've still got to come but come to Ohio instead.  We have some serious talking to do. Let me know your flight details and I'll pick you up.  Okay?  Zeon?  Okay?"

 

"Sure I'll be there."

 

CHAMBERS HOTEL - NEW YORK

 

LINDSAY

 

I look up at the ceiling of the King Suite we are booked into and sigh happily.  I knew we could rely on my parents to help us out.  However, we must actually look into somewhere to live as this money isn't going to last forever.

 

We also need to sort out the place in Canada. We didn't even have time to pack our stuff. We were allowed to take just one case and Michael almost cried over his comic books and collectibles.  We've got to get in touch with the letting agents and give them notice and hope that they don't invoke the penalty because we vacated at the same time as giving notice.

 

Michael's been downtown getting comics to read and although he understands, he's still pouting that he can't buy any collectibles as yet.  I reassured him that the moment we find a base, he can get as many as he wants.

 

"Hey Lindsay, shall we order in or go out?"

 

"Oh go out.  I think a nice stroll down Fifth Avenue and then lunch would be nice."

 

He snickers.  "You and Brian and your fancy shops."  He pauses.  "Do you miss them?"

 

I sigh.  "The adults, no.  I will never forgive any of them for throwing us to the ZeeWolf but Gus and Jenny I do miss.  I thought they would be in touch by now; it's been months.  Maybe we should call..."

 

"No Lindsay, we agreed. Since they hurt us, they have to make the first move."

 

PITTSBURGH COUNTRY CLUB - TUESDAY LUNCH TIME

 

DINING ROOM

 

CRAIG TAYLOR

 

Ever since I got that call from Luther Stark, I've been wondering what possible business we could do together.  It's not as if we even run in the same circles socially, culturally and definitely not financially. He's way out of my league.

 

I've not been back here in awhile. With Taylor Electronics struggling, I've had to concentrate on my business but it's good to be back here.  I nod and smile at Nancy and Ronald Peterson, who I vaguely know. As they leave, I start to get a little cross. Luther Stark is running late.

 

"Mr Taylor?"

 

I look up at one of the most imposing men I've ever seen.  He's built like a slab of concrete but is the colour of molasses and could be described- if I was a disgusting faggot- as good looking.  More interesting is the lady on his arm. Now she is beautiful.

 

"Mr Stark and..."

 

"Ms Collier, Xanthe Collier."  She smiles at me and I think you lucky bastard!

 

"Please have a seat."  I signal the waiter to bring the wine.  "I took the liberty of ordering one of your favourites Mr Stark."

 

As the waiter approaches, I indicate that Mr Stark should taste and he does and he nods.

 

"You may pour."  He orders without even looking at the waiter.  "And now you leave."  He growls out when the waiter hovers and he virtually runs back to his station.

 

Wow now that was impressive.

 

"I'll cut to the chase Mr Taylor. I've been looking at your financials and you're struggling and I can help you get better but I want you to do something for me." He leans back in his seat and looks around and snorts softly.  "I've recently suffered a familial problem at the hands of Brian Kinney..."

 

"Don't mention that pervert's name to me; he corrupted my son!"  I hiss at him and get up to leave.

 

"Sit down Mr Taylor.  You've had the reaction I wanted.  I want to hurt Brian Kinney for the hurt he caused me and you.  I have a son who has the same affliction as yours.  Your son, Justin, and Kinney are married now."

 

I gape at him in horror.  "Married? Are you kidding me?!"  I whisper hoarsely.

 

"Nope, I never kid about this kind of thing.  Do you know anything about your son Mr Taylor?  I mean the life he lives now?"

 

I shake my head in disgust.  "No and nor do I want to. He's a..."

 

"Multi-millionaire.  Yes his art sells very well.  And I think after all the good things we tried to instill in our children for them to go on to achieve something they don't deserve in spite of their predilections is grossly unfair to all upstanding moral citizens."

 

I'm fuming!  How could he succeed being what he is?!  I sit back and see reflected in his eyes the same disgust for his son that I have for Justin.  I nod for him to continue

 

"First, let me give you an incentive. I will inject some cash into your business on the basis that you do what you did after the trial, at the Prop 14 protest and the like...make your son miserable.  By doing that you make Kinney miserable."

 

"But..."

 

"Nobody knows what buttons to push better than a father.  And, do you happen to know the current location of Chris Hobbs? I believe he can help us in our endeavour."

 

"Excuse me Luther, Craig, I just need to powder my nose."  Xanthe tells us and he waves her off without a backward glance.

 

XANTHE

 

I dry heave into the toilet and try to calm my racing heart.  I step out of the stall trying to get my head around what I've just heard.

 

"Excuse me, but are you okay?"  I jump a little and turn to the voice.  She has a kind face.

 

"Here, come sit down."  She guides me back to the dressing room area of the bathroom, which I hadn't noticed before in my need to get to the toilet.

 

"Would you like some water?"  I nod and smile gratefully when she hands me a cold glass.

 

"So what's got that pretty face looking less pretty?  Is it a man?"  I nod.

 

"I thought I knew him, thought he cared but..."

 

"Ah I see.  Well if you want a piece of advice from a lady that's been there, done that, got the scars and came away with the house and all the jewellery.  And is doing better than him now..."

 

I giggle and nod.  "Walk away, no matter how little is left of you, walk away."  I frown.  "And then get the best lawyer in the world and let him ride his ass to hell!"

 

I burst out laughing and dab my eyes.  "There now.  That's how that face is supposed to be.  Now shoulders back, head held high and as my dear friend says own the road you walk on."

 

I nod and straighten my dress.  "Thank you, uh..."

 

"Jennifer.  Jennifer Taylor."

 

"Xanthe Collier, it was lovely to meet you."

 

"You too.  Sorry but I've got to run. I've a showing in an hour, hope to see you again.  Oh wait, here's my card if you're ever looking for a place in Pittsburgh you know after you're lawyer's done with him."

 

I smile and head back to the table.  But on the way I drop my purse as I crouch to pick it up I hear them laughing.

 

"She's very beautiful."

 

"She is indeed and appropriate in these kind of social situations."  Luther laughs

 

"Is she a..."

 

"No.  Goodness me no, I don't need to pay for it in that sense, just in jewellery, they like jewellery, it keeps them sweet."

 

"They?"  Craig sounds surprised.

 

"Of course you think I've only got one lady on the go.  Don't get me wrong I like Xanthe but I like other ladies too you know what I mean."

 

"So you just have the one son?"

 

"No, 4 boys and one girl. The girl is causing me the most problems, not knowing her place but I'm working on fixing that too."

 

I've heard enough, I stand and plaster on a smile.  "Sorry gentlemen but I have a headache and need to go back to the hotel.  No, really Luther I will be fine. You stay here and conduct your business."

 

He gives me a kiss on my cheek and Craig kisses my hand and with Jennifer's words ringing in my ears I head back to the hotel.

 

LUTHER STARK'S CONDO - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

LUTHER

 

"Xanthe, you sure you're okay? You've been quiet all day."

 

"Sorry, honey but I've got a lot going on at work and I need to travel to Europe on Saturday.  So how was the rest of your meeting with Mr Taylor, productive?  Did you..."

 

He holds up a finger as his phone rings.  "Stark.  Uh huh, well I don't pay you to tell me where they ain't, I pay you to tell me where they are!"  He jabs the phone off.

 

"They?"  I ask nonchalantly massaging his shoulders.

 

"Yeah, couple of people I'm looking for to help me with the family problem I have.  Seems that Kinney had some cases in court that he won and I'm going to try and get them reversed but first I need to find the people who brought the cases."  He sighs heavily.  "Oh that feels good."

 

"You know me honey here to make you feel good."  I smile at myself in the mirror as he checks his phone.

 

ZEUS STARK'S HOUSE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

ZEON

 

Well I finally got here.  Whoever has been flaming Feeley were good but we were better.  The firewall has been reinforced and I fired four members of my team for not doing that in the first place.

 

"So bro what's the deal?"  I ask Zeus, as we warily regard each other.  "And who hit you?"

 

"Mom in answer to your second question and the deal...oh hi, yeah I've got time, go ahead."

 

I roll my eyes. He's like dad in that respect always chasing tail and putting that first.  When Zeph told me about him and Talon, after losing my lunch I wasn't surprised Dad always did covet what belongs to others.  But for 20 fucking years, that is just disgraceful!  And that was the start of the reconciliation between mom and I; we're not there but we're getting there.

 

"Pack an overnight bag!"  I gawk at him.  "Come on!"

 

JFK AIRPORT - FRIDAY EVENING

 

AIRPORT LOUNGE

 

XANTHE

 

I smile to myself, pleased that I finally accepted the transfer to Paris.  I had been mulling it over for a while and wanted to see if I had a future with him and I don't.  I've closed up my house, put it on the market and now they are calling my flight.

 

I giggle as I remember the words of Jennifer in the dressing room and with my head held high I dump my phone in the trash and head towards the gate and a new life.

 

TREEHOUSE - SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

It's been almost 10 days since I saw Zeus and my hand has itched and my heart has ached to call him but he has to come to me and...then I stop myself and realise something. I'm being exactly like, shudder and heave, Luther!  I now regret not letting him stay with us but Brian let him stay at the loft.

 

"Just hit you my lig?"  He pulls me into his arms, my safe and happy place and I sigh.  "It is a lot of hurt my darling, but he didn't have to come here."

 

"You believe him?"  I bury my nose in his neck, his scent calming me.

 

"I didn't get a lie off him..."  I giggle.  "And having a minor in psychology I...hey no jabbing!"

 

"Think I should call him?"

 

"I think you should do whatever is comfortable for you to do..."

 

"In other words yes."

 

He tilts my head up and kisses me softly.  "Yes I think you need to at least try and get back to each other and if he's working with the devil I'll help you hide the bodies."

 

"Deal."

 

I tighten my grip on his waist and snuggle back into his neck. "What time are they coming?"

 

"In about 20 minutes, which means we can't for a good few hours!"

 

I wriggle out of his embrace and smack his chest.  "Okay, I'll call him, maybe tomorrow."

 

"Good.  Now what's for lunch?"

 

LUTHER STARK'S CONDO

 

OFFICE

 

LUTHER

 

"Some good news I hope?  Where in New York?  Right.  Thank you for finally doing your job!"

 

I slam the phone down.  I'm beyond pissed.  Xanthe is in Europe and unavailable and Talon is living up to her name by digging in about going away like I promised. Well other things come first...

 

I flick through my rolodex and find the man I'm looking for.  Grady Holster, Ivy Leaguer, All around good Black American and...Matt's father.  I still can't believe she chose her master over him.

 

"Grady it's Luther, how you doing son?  Uh-huh, uh-huh, look let me cut to the chase, Zaden needs to be taught a lesson and if you're lucky.  No let me start again.  You need to start wooing someone but not right now.  Let me deal with the introductions but just be ready.  And if I'm right, to get rid of you she'll do what her grandfather did and pay you to leave her alone.  Of course she doesn't know..."

 

CRAIG TAYLOR'S CONDO

 

OFFICE

 

CRAIG

 

"May I speak to Christopher Hobbs please?  Chris, its Craig Taylor. Regrettably that boy's father.  I wonder if we can meet..."

 

TREEHOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON

 

DINING ROOM

 

FAAL

 

We're just staring at the table.  Just staring.  She's making us wait to sit down as she puts the dishes out.  The furballs are all yelling outside because they can smell it and she's got the kids stripping the bones off under the careful watch of George and Alice.  No licking of fingers allowed.

 

I think Carl is on the cusp of invoking his Papa Bear powers.  "Can we...?"

 

"No.  There's more.  I'll be as fast as I can."  She hurries out and brings in another platter.

 

"Gus you even think of licking that finger!"  Alice chides him.

 

"But it smells so good!"  He argues.

 

"That sounds so wrong and right on so many levels!"  Emmy Lou chuckles earning a Kinney glare.

 

"Okay that's it.  This is the RTOAF messy family feast.  We have..."

 

"Yeah-yeah-yeah we can see!  Can we eat now?"  Steve demands.

 

"No, come on guys...please?"  She looks round.  "Let something stay the same?"

 

"So what do we have?"  Carl asks gently.

 

"Well it's a chicken messy feast.  There's Korean southern fried, Keralan curry with naan breads, Vietnamese hot spiced wrapped in savoy cabbage with vegetables and Ethiopian chicken stew and fixings."

 

"So we can sit now?"  Steve is practically drooling.

 

"Yes, you can sit now and someone let the furballs in."

 

The moment the door is opened all we see is streaks of fur and all we hear is happy noises when they reach their bowls.

 

Fifteen minutes in, Brian is at one end of the table and Justin is at the other at Carl's insistence having been splashed twice as Brian tried to move his plate away from him.  Justin's picking at his food is so pathetic that Carl doesn't even get to finish his sentence before he's back next to Brian and promising not to be so grabby.

 

"I'll get it!"  Jenny hollers and goes to the door.   

 

"Oh this is so...fuck!  Hell has a new address!"  Zee growls.

 

"Drewsie I love you very much but again not blind!  He's as beautiful as Zee is!"  Emmy cries.

 

"So everyone this is Zeon; Zeon, this is everyone. Let me get you some plates.  Have a seat."

 

We all just stare at him.  "Okay enough with the staring."  He rebukes us.  "Who's who?"

 

By the time she comes back we're all introduced and are chatting away but after about another 20 minutes of shifting the food around her plate, she's reached her limit.

 

"Why are you here?"

 

"Uh maybe the kids..."  Zeon begins.

 

Zeus holds up his hand.  "No they're good but can we go to the lounge so I can at least be semi-vertical when I'm digesting this?  So good."

 

LOUNGE

 

We all settle down but can feel the all-out war simmering between Zeon and Zee.  They're actually like lion and hyena over a carcass and the carcass is their relationship.  And then I see it.  The only thing keeping them from fighting is the presence of Zeus.  With just one look he puts them back in their corners.

 

"So Zeus, what's going on?"  Carl demands.

 

When he finishes talking we're silent.  Justin is as still as a statue and Brian's face is incandescent with rage.

 

"He's...he's paying my..."  Justin whispers.

 

"How do you know this?"  Debs demands pacing.  "I think better when I'm moving!"  She answers his questioning look.

 

"I got a call from Xanthe. She was in Pittsburgh with..."

 

"Xanthe?  Are you sure it was Xanthe?  Jennifer demands.

 

"Uh yeah, she's one of my dad's...why?"

 

"Tall, beautiful Black lady, quite slim with high cheekbones, mole on her right cheek?"

 

"Pretty much that's her...again why?"

 

I watch Zee bring in the desserts and head back for coffees. She looks like she wants to cry.

 

Jennifer starts to laugh and pretty soon she's doubled over and it takes a while for her to calm down.

 

"I bumped into her in the country club. She was upset about something and I told her to own the road she walks on and it looks like she did!"

 

"Go Jen!"  Debs crows.

 

"I had no idea who she was!  Why would I?  I didn't even see Craig, but because of that we now know what we're dealing with!  We can be prepared.  And speaking of prepared, what are these pieces of gorgeousness?"

 

There are ice cream sandwiches dribbling on the platter and Zee comes back in with the coffee. She stares at Zeon and then drops the tray and within seconds she's screaming no and slapping the sandwich out of his hand.

 

"Zaden what the fuck is wrong with you!"  I shout at her.

 

"He's allergic to apricots!"  She pants.

 

There's my girl!