Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 42: SERVICE

 

 

 

CHASE, DONALDSON & DRAPER - MONDAY MORNING

 

 

 

EPHRAIM WILLIAMS' OFFICE

 

 

 

EPHRAIM

 

 

 

Now I've seen some shade been thrown in my life.  But this beats all.  I mean for fuck sake how the hell did Pearl pay out to the guy!  That will need some investigating too. There must be some kind of collusion on their part.

 

 

 

"So what do you think?"  Ben Bruckner-Smart asks me.

 

 

 

"I think we have a probable case of fraud and maybe deception.  And as for you young lady..."  I look at his daughter Jenny, who is holding onto her dad's hand tightly.  "I think you have a good case too.  I've met your father, albeit briefly; it wasn't a pleasant experience."

 

 

 

"It never is."  She snickers.  "So what happens now?"

 

 

 

"Well for you, we can issue straight away but for your father we need a few more bits and pieces and then we can go to the judge and hopefully a warrant will be issued.  He will be tried here as this is where the fraud and deception took place."

 

 

 

They both look relieved.  "And if he is found guilty, what then?"  Ben asks.

 

 

 

"When he's found guilty," I correct him, "Well to be honest he could get anything between 5 to 15 years.  I will be pressing for the fullest sentence we can get."

 

 

 

"Would I need to take the stand?  I won't be able to tell much."

 

 

 

I shake my head.  "I shouldn't think so but be prepared just in case. It all depends on the judge and the lawyer he gets.  And trust me he will get a court appointed one because word got around real quick after the last time!"

 

 

 

This gets them smiling and Jenny insists on watching me prepare the papers for his breach of promise suit.

 

 

 

"It's a shame I can't present it to him myself. I would love to see his weasel face!"

 

 

 

"You'll hear from him soon enough, I'm sure.  Now is that all, because we really need to go home and pack."

 

 

 

"Oh you guys going somewhere nice?"  I can't help but like these two.

 

 

 

"Yeah the Pasta Palace in..."

 

 

 

"Pasta Palace?  Not sure I'm understanding the packing part?"

 

 

 

Ben chuckles.  "No the Pasta Palace is the name of the house our friends own in Italy, which is where we're spending Thanksgiving. Or we would be if someone would get her ass in gear!"

 

 

 

"Ass in gear?"  I echo.

 

 

 

"Oh I've heard a lot worse believe me!"  Jenny grins.  "Thanks for helping us. Have a great Thanksgiving Mr...I mean Ephraim."

 

 

 

"You too!"  I am still smiling a few minutes later but then shake myself.  "Okay Novotny, time you get fucked over by me!"

 

 

 

MILLIE & HAROLD'S RESIDENCE

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

MILLIE

 

 

 

"Thank you Ronald, that's great.  I'm curious as to why you...oh I see. Well I'll be sure to let them know that too.  Bye Ronald."

 

 

 

I sit back and smile at Jennifer and Zee.  "Well two bits of news...  One, the Petersons have issued a writ against Novotny for his part of the fees that he promised to pay.  And two... Lindsay has been fired."

 

 

 

"What and what?"  Jennifer gasps.

 

 

 

"Yes, it seems that Melody heard that she was less than gracious at the Truffaut to Lydia and Hunter. What she has against that boy is anyone's guess but that's not why she was fired. Turns out that Anouk overheard her attempting to get double commission on a painting and although she denied any wrongdoing, she was fired on the spot."

 

 

 

"Wow, just wow."  Jennifer shakes her head.  "She just keeps getting better and better."

 

 

 

Zee is swirling her glass much to Harold's amusement.  "What is it Zee?"

 

 

 

"How long has that gallery been open?  I mean the one that she was working in."

 

 

 

"Ah Anouk is the worst of the best of the new gallery owners."  I take a sip of my drink.  "Over indulgent rich husband with a lot of connections. She's been doing okay for 3 years but why?"

 

 

 

"First gallery and she does everything right?"

 

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

 

"Hmm, get her to check the sales that Lindsay did before she went.  Lindsay's been in the business for many years and she knows that the gallery gets commission on the sale price..."

 

 

 

"You don't think...?  Surely she wouldn't be that stupid?"  I mused.

 

 

 

"Stupid no, arrogant yes.  She would be arrogant enough to try that.  Especially, if she's done it before and it wasn't noticed."

 

 

 

"And what if she has done what you think she's done?"  I look at Harold and he just smiles.

 

 

 

"What exactly is it that you think she's done Zee?"  Jennifer looks between the three of us.

 

 

 

"Intentionally doubled up the commission, which is fraud.  And she can go to jail for that!"

 

 

 

TALON'S CONDO - TUESDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

KITCHEN

 

 

 

MEDEA

 

 

 

After what happened last week, Ralph insisted that the puppies be moved out of the condo and in with friends of his.  Once, of course, he stopped laughing at the video.

 

 

 

And he had the nerve to ask me to wash his tee shirt.  Needless to say it just took one look for him to realise what a bad idea it was.  But judging by the smell in the bin the next day he just threw it away but didn't think it might have been courteous to empty it.  So Gerald and Jason returned the favour by sticking it back in his wardrobe, way-way-way in the back!

 

 

 

They're all not really speaking at the moment.  He wanted to watch yet another of his tiresome movies yesterday and they didn't so they ended up at Grady's and he ended up sulking in his room because the TV wasn't working anyway, with some Grady help.

 

 

 

But they're all back in residence with him and a new TV and DVD combo set, although all three of them are in the lounge.  I don't understand what is going on with those two.  I know I've heard him on the phone arranging to meet when she's not around but if she's happy to let him cat around then that's her look out. Personally the moment I found out he was with that it would've been game over.

 

 

 

The door ringing brings me out of my musings.  "Yes may I help you?"

 

 

 

"Here to see Michael Novotny."

 

 

 

"Please come inside.  I'll just get him for you."

 

 

 

I head to the lounge and he's reading comics again. I can see why this would be annoying for them, especially the way he flips the pages and does that snort/snicker thing.

 

 

 

"There's someone to see you Michael."

 

 

 

"Who is it?"

 

 

 

"My name is Ephraim Williams. I work for Chase, Donaldson & Draper, and I am representing Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Bruckner."

 

 

 

I almost jump a foot in the air as I hadn't realised he had followed me down.

 

 

 

"I know you!"  Lindsay says.

 

 

 

"Yes you do. We've met before, a couple of years ago now."  He walks up to Michael and drops some papers in his lap.  "Consider yourself served, Mr. Novotny."

 

 

 

Michael leaps up and kicks the envelope away.  "That won't work! I have a recording of me serving you the papers, so the courts will consider them served."

 

 

 

"What the fuck is this about?!"  He shouts.

 

 

 

"Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Bruckner is suing you for breach of promise in regards to the repayment of monies missing from her college fund.  The hearing will be in the next three to four weeks.  Good day."

 

 

 

He stalks out of the room.  "Medea, please make sure he leaves!"  Lindsay hisses and I follow him out.

 

 

 

As I do, I resist the temptation to hug him for making that asshole even more miserable!

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

GRADY

 

 

 

"Well, don't these just keep stacking up for you Michael?"  I chuckle at the expression on his face.  "So how much is it for this time?"

 

 

 

He tears open the envelope and quickly reads down.  "For fuck sake!  I bet Ben put her up to this or even Mel!"  He shoves the papers into Lindsay's hands and goes on the computer.  "Well they can fuck that!  Since I'm no longer her father, I'm not paying shit!"

 

 

 

"Um Michael.  I wouldn't do..."

 

 

 

"Are you fucking kidding me?!"  He yells, standing up so quickly that the chair slides across the room and hits the TV sending his stack of DVDs crashing to the floor.

 

 

 

"Now what?"  I ask, after checking the cabinet that the chair hit and there is a small chip.

 

 

 

"They've... I can't fucking believe they are doing this to me!"

 

 

 

"Who and what?"  I ask again, getting tired of his histrionics.

 

 

 

"Brian and Justin, but most likely its Ted's or Boy Wonder's doing. They are insisting on going back to full repayments of the loan!"

 

 

 

"But this was bound to happen. You couldn't expect to pay reduced payments forever, could you?"  I ask, looking up from the papers that he was just served.

 

 

 

"I expected longer than this. They must know I've been unable to find..."

 

 

 

"Unwilling.  The word there is unwilling if the word at the end of that sentence is work."  I correct him.  "And you don't have a chance to kick this back either."  I hand him the papers.

 

 

 

"Why not?"

 

 

 

"Because she's suing you from the time you promised to the time she was emancipated from you.  To the tune of $20K."

 

 

 

Lindsay whistles.  "What are you going to do Michael?"

 

 

 

"Well first, some calls have to be made and if that doesn't work, I shall go and deal with them face to face!"  He snarls and stomps out of the room, slamming the door on his way out.

 

 

 

"We should really go with him, shouldn't we?"  Lindsay asks.

 

 

 

Sighing heavily, I nod.

 

 

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN

 

 

 

ADAM'S OFFICE

 

 

 

Adam

 

 

 

I sigh.  After what I've heard from Pearl, I am just staggered.  Sol is quietly reading the paperwork I got back.

 

 

 

"Fuck Blueblood, this is horrendous!"

 

 

 

"Yeah, let's bring them in."

 

 

 

Sol goes to the door and calls in Ben, Steve and Mel.  This is not going to be pretty.

 

 

 

"Just tell us."  Steve says, sitting down and taking Ben's hand.

 

 

 

"Before we do that, can you sign this for me?"  I hand Ben a piece of paper and he signs it quickly.  I show it to Sol and even I can see the difference.

 

 

 

"Yeah, it's fraud."  I sigh and show them the copy of the documents that were signed by Ben.

 

 

 

"I was in hospital then, under sedation. I couldn't have signed it."  He growls looking at the dates.  "How the fuck was the policy cashed?!" Sol and I exchange looks.  "Was...was he cheating on me?"

 

 

 

I nod and Mel curses under her breath.  "Who was it?"

 

 

 

"The guy who sold him the policy.  He's still at Pearl, amazingly enough.  He was very sad to hear of your death but understood why Michael didn't want to continue their relationship, especially now that he has moved to Europe with his daughter to begin their life anew."

 

 

 

"Even then Hunter didn't feature."  Mel snipes angrily.  "So now what?"

 

 

 

"We need to get a statement from the guy. He's gonna lawyer up when he hears about this but realistically we are looking at after Thanksgiving before due process let alone warrants. But to be honest, I would rather wait until we've found all the evidence and that includes the rest of his collection."

 

 

 

"I agree. It's been this long so what's a few more weeks or however long it takes?  I want him so bad for this I can taste it!"  Mel seethes, her phone ringing stops her tirade.

 

 

 

"Jenny, slow down what are you talking about?  Wait honey let me put you on speaker, stop shouting!"

 

 

 

"We found it!  We found where he's got the car!"  She yells.

 

 

 

"Are you serious?!"  Ben shouts.

 

 

 

"Well we have an address, well we think we do!  Hold on Uncle Ted, can you tell them?!"

 

 

 

"Ted!  What's going on?!"  Steve demands.

 

 

 

"Well the family was going through everything when Blake spotted it.  Payments to Rudyard Garages, the last one being made last quarter.  Payments are every quarter, so his next one is due at the beginning of December."

 

 

 

"And was Zee right? Was it more than just the car in there?"  Sol asks.

 

 

 

"He says he's got the car plus other shit in there.  So yeah more than the car."

 

 

 

"So now what?"  Steve is pacing.

 

 

 

"There's a saying if you throw enough money at something, people bite!"  Ted is chuckling.

 

 

 

"Oh God, what have you guys done?"  Ben sighs, but he's smiling.

 

 

 

"Guess who owns Rudyard Garages?"

 

 

 

"Someone called Rudyard?"  I hedge, not quite understanding why they are all smiling.

 

 

 

"No, someone called Hunter."   Ted laughs.  "As of oh, ten minutes ago."