Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 24: JUDGEMENT CALL

 

 

 

LUTHER'S CONDO - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

I'm still waiting to hear from that idiot Craig.  I still don't know where Schoepen got the video of him in San Francisco or in Pittsburgh as I had been assured that this has been squashed but he's in the past now.

 

 

 

I could easily just take Taylor Electronics myself but why spend my money needlessly.

 

 

 

I look up at the tapping on my door and smile at Bethany.  Now here is a woman who accepts me the way I am, as long as her needs are met then she's fine with whatever I do.  Though she's already laid down one rule; don't bring your trash home.  Fine with me.  It's a load off my mind that I don't have to worry about sneaking about.

 

 

 

Bethany heads upstairs as she has already got Talon's dressing room redecorated.

 

 

 

And speaking of sneaking, Talon has dropped off the face of the planet.  I've tried everyone I can think of, not even Zeph knows where she is.  It's not that I want her back but I want the last word; it's my due.

 

 

 

Also, I'm extremely pissed off about Ralph and the pork!  But the new butler is a lot better.

 

 

 

"Good afternoon Mr Stark."

 

 

 

"Yes what is it?"

 

 

 

"There's an Evelyn Copthorne to see you."

 

 

 

"Send her in."

 

 

 

Evelyn Copthorne, she and Bethany are cut from the same cloth, both know what they want and go into a situation with eyes open.

 

 

 

"Evelyn, how lovely to see you, how's Elias?"

 

 

 

"Incredibly grumpy because his last girlfriend moved on to pastures new.  So until he gets a new one, he's back to pestering me."  She grins at me before shutting the door.

 

 

 

"What brings you here?"

 

 

 

"Share certificates from Bergenfield Berdenstrade, Elias wanted you to have them and I have business on Fifth Avenue, so thought I would kill two birds with one stone."

 

 

 

I take them from her and smile.  "So is that all?"

 

 

 

"How's Bethany?  I understand she's moved in. What happened to Talon?"

 

 

 

"She fine and we split up. She got too clingy.  Bethany's upstairs in her dressing room, if you have time to go and see her."

 

 

 

"I think I will pop up.  Thanks."  She sashays to the door and winks at me.  "See you Saturday."

 

 

 

"Looking forward to it."

 

 

 

BETHANY'S DRESSING ROOM

 

 

 

BETHANY

 

 

 

I look up at the knock on my door.  "Enter."

 

 

 

"Bethany darling, how are you?  Looking forward to dinner next weekend?"

 

 

 

"Evelyn!  What a surprise.  I'm fine thanks.  Finally got rid of all evidence of his former daughter-in-law.  Between you and me, I still found that relationship a bit incestuous.  As for next weekend I'm looking forward to it.  The 40th Anniversary Dinner of Elias and Evelyn Copthorne..."

 

 

 

"You won't reconsider?"  She looks pleadingly at me.

 

 

 

"No, I've got the man I wanted."

 

 

 

"It was worth a try.  It's not too bad I suppose but you could've given me a warning you know.  So I could've been prepared for the sulking and stomping about!"

 

 

 

I giggle and give her a hug.  "Sorry darling and that was another reason. Yes Luther can sulk but with Elias that is a whole other level.  There'll be someone else soon enough."

 

 

 

She nods knowingly.  "Oh are you busy right now?  I'm going to Fifth for my dress and could use the company."

 

 

 

"An excellent idea, but we need to stop off at the other condo first.  You have got to meet this manchild that Lindsay has saddled herself with."

 

 

 

"Lindsay?  Manchild?"  She queries.

 

 

 

"I'll explain on the way."

 

 

 

LUTHER'S NO. 2 CONDO

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

Bethany has just called to say she's coming over and bringing a very influential friend.  I look round the room and shudder at how untidy it is.

 

 

 

"Michael!  Michael where are you?"  I call out heading into the hallway.

 

 

 

"Down here, in the basement."  He calls back and I want to scream.

 

 

 

BASEMENT

 

 

 

I thought the lounge was untidy but the basement looks like an explosion in a comic book store.

 

 

 

"What on earth are you doing?"

 

 

 

"Cataloguing of course. What did you want?"

 

 

 

I look round the basement and just know that Bethany will be upset when she sees it.

 

 

 

"Is there a way you can catalogue a little tidier?"

 

 

 

He looks at me as if I have two heads and goes back to doing what he's doing.

 

 

 

"Uh Michael have you been adding to your collection? I'm pretty sure there wasn't this much."

 

 

 

"I may have taken delivery of some exclusive items.  Why? What's it to do with you?  I seem to recall you saying to me once that how you spend your money is your business. Well back at you."

 

 

 

"Oh stop being so childish!  I'm not saying you can't spend your money. What I am saying is that you can't spend the money that Talon gave us on comic books! That is for essentials until we both get jobs."

 

 

 

"These comics and collect..."

 

 

 

"Will increase in value over time.  But we don't have time Michael."  I try to explain once again but he carries on pouting.  "Now Bethany is coming. You need to tidy up the lounge."

 

 

 

"Why do I need to tidy it?"  His pouting is now at grating level.

 

 

 

"Because it is your comics, DVDs and toys that..."

 

 

 

"How many times Lindsay do I have to tell you Lindsay? These are not toys, they are collectibles!"

 

 

 

I shake my head and head back upstairs before turning to him.  "Too many times to count.  Just get them cleared away. She'll be here soon and if she wants to throw them away, I'll let her."

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I wait a few minutes to see if she's kidding but she doesn't come back down so I quickly go upstairs and collect them from the lounge.

 

 

 

She's sitting there like the Queen of fucking Sheba, flicking through a magazine. How that is different from a comic, I don't know.

 

 

 

"Lindsay you're changing and..."

 

 

 

"You're not.  We're in a different league here Michael.  Why can't you see that?  There is a time and place for all of that, but above the basement is not it.  Tell you what though.  I have an idea about that."

 

 

 

Just as she's about to tell me what that is, the doorbell rings before the other Queen of Sheba strides in.

 

 

 

"Are you ready Lindsay?"

 

 

 

"Can you have a seat for a minute?  I have a proposal for you."

 

 

 

She frowns at her but nods.  "Let me just let my friend know."

 

 

 

As she walks back out of the lounge she pauses and circles a mark on the chest of drawers.

 

 

 

"That's what coasters are for.  It had better come out."  She clips out.  "Won't be long."

 

 

 

True to her word she's back.  "Is Michael needed for this?"

 

 

 

"Yes it's about his collectibles etc.  I know how you feel about them and..."

 

 

 

"They cause unnecessary clutter and clash horribly with the décor as do other things."

 

 

 

Lindsay gives me a warning look.  "But they're important to Michael so perhaps we can reach a compromise?  How about he has the basement for watching his DVDs and reading his comics?"

 

 

 

What?!

 

 

 

"I'm listening."

 

 

 

"If you were to, say put in an entertainment system down there and a couch, make it comfortable for him, then the rest of the house could be kept in the manner to which it should."

 

 

 

"Okay.  But he keeps them in the boxes, I'll sort everything else out.  Great idea Lindsay!"

 

 

 

She turns to me.  "Wood oil and elbow grease will get that ring out, Michael."

 

 

 

"Right Lindsay shall we go? Fifth waits for no girl!"

 

 

 

Lindsay nods, picks up her purse and starts to head out without looking back.

 

 

 

"Now my friend is called Evelyn, she's a hoot.  Oh what are you doing next Saturday? I'm sure once she meets you, she'll want you and Grady to come to their dinner."

 

 

 

As the door shuts behind them I start to think that maybe Lindsay's ashamed of me.

 

 

 

LUTHER'S CONDO - EVENING

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

LUTHER

 

 

 

Taylor has asked for more time to get investors, which is fine with me, I'm in no hurry.  I've tried calling Lucian but after the MoMA event, he's still not talking to me.  I wire $15mil to Taylor explaining he should offer that to my brother and see what happens.  But as for the gallery, he's on his own with that.

 

 

 

TREEHOUSE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

ZEE

 

 

 

"What's the matter?"  Zeus looks up at my whimper.

 

 

 

"He's given Taylor $15mil to offer to Uncle Luc. It came... it must have come from one of those accounts."

 

 

 

I feel his arms round me.  "He won't accept it but he has to pay for what he fucking did!"  I spit.

 

 

 

"Of course he won't and of course he does.  I had a feeling he would do that and have an idea."

 

 

 

Twenty minutes later I'm feeling much better and Uncle Luc and Aunt Dee are in full agreement and confirm acceptance of the settlement from Taylor.

 

 

 

I need carbs and we need to call Justin and Brian and let them know what we've suggested.

 

 

 

DINING ROOM - THREE HOURS LATER

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

I can't believe what is in front of me.  Or what they've just told me.  Brian looks at his plate with a mixture of horror and awe.

 

 

 

"Okay, so what's this again?"  I ask her.

 

 

 

"A rarebit burger.  It's got Welsh rarebit sauce, which is made with double cream, pale ale, parmesan and cheddar cheese.  Then there's bacon, lettuce, gherkins, red onion and the burger itself is grass fed chuck steak and of course fries.  Shoestring of course."

 

 

 

"Of course."  Brian remarks dryly.  "Well who's going to try and pick it up first?"

 

 

 

Faal takes a breath and looks round his plate, trying to find a good place to grip on, finally deciding on a spot he takes the burger between two hands and takes a bite.

 

 

 

"Mmm..."  His face is covered in sauce but he looks very happy indeed.  "Seriously good, though I may need a run afterwards!"

 

 

 

I decide to take the same approach and am in burger heaven.  "You have got to tell Alice how to make this!"

 

 

 

"Oh fuck me this is good!"  Brian sighs.  "Not a hope Sunshine, seriously just no."

 

 

 

Twenty minutes later we are stuffed and all that is left are crumpled up napkins.

 

 

 

"Oh God.  I don't need to eat until tomorrow night!   I can't believe I ate that.  Look!  I have a food baby, my first one!" Brian laughed.

 

 

 

"Seriously you've never eaten so much that you've got a food baby?"  Zeus looks appalled.

 

 

 

"I'm a fag Zeus of course not.  Well unless you're Justin and nothing sticks to you except where it matters."  He waggles his eyebrows.

 

 

 

"Not getting near that this evening. I can't believe how stuffed I am."  I groan and have some more wine.  "So explain this idea of yours again."

 

 

 

"Uncle Luc is going to accept the restitution offer from Taylor on the following conditions; that he presents the check in front of the media, offers full and complete apology for his actions...and the money goes to the local AIDS hospices both in San Francisco and in Pittsburgh." Zee tells us.

 

 

 

"Oh that is going to burn his ass!"  Faal chuckles.

 

 

 

"Not as much as the burn would be if he was some bear's bitch in jail.  Shame that!"  Brian snorts.  "Sunshine is this something you can live with?"

 

 

 

I nod and smile.  "Yes it's something I can live with."

 

 

 

"By the way what happened to his cohorts?"  Zee asks.

 

 

 

"They don't have low friends in high places, so they are still in jail.  But, someone is talking to them."  Zeus smiles.  "You do realise that everything Copthorne had a hand in will be subject to review, so he could be a bear's bitch after all."