Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 23: HINDRANCE, HELP & HELLFIRE

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

"Rent?"  I repeat.

 

 

 

"Yes.  Do you know how much a place like this rents for?  $1400 easily."

 

 

 

"That's not bad."  Michael smiles at me and I shake my head.

 

 

 

"Per week, Michael."  I square my shoulders.  "So how much are you going to charge us?"

 

 

 

"$2000."  She replies, before turning to Michael.  "You can pack up that shit and listen at the same time."

 

 

 

"This shit, as you put it, is worth a considerable amount of money."  He sneers at her

 

 

 

"Well then sell it to put towards the rent."  She snarks back.  "And hurry up! I don't want to be here any longer than I have to be."

 

 

 

"Why are you charging us more?"  He asks quickly sealing the boxes.

 

 

 

"I'm not."

 

 

 

"Yes you are, $2000 beats $1400."

 

 

 

I groan and almost want to cry.  "It's $2000 a month Michael, which I think is more than generous."

 

 

 

"It's pin money to me.  I don't need it and..."

 

 

 

"Yeah fucking..."  Michael begins

 

 

 

"Shut up Michael!"  I hiss at him.

 

 

 

"Well stopped Lindsay or the rent would've gone up."  She looks coldly at Michael.  "Are you finally done?"

 

 

 

He nods and moves the boxes back downstairs.

 

 

 

"Meet us in the lounge Michael."  She calls down to him.

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

BETHANY

 

 

 

"So you and Grady, the real thing or just an opportunity?"  I can see I've surprised her with the question.

 

 

 

"The real thing of course!"

 

 

 

"Okay."  I walk to the door and close it.  "So what's with the idiot?  I don't understand the pairing of you two."

 

 

 

Again she's surprised by my question.  "He's been my friend for years.  And..."

 

 

 

"Doesn't mean he should remain so.  Lindsay you're smart.   Learn to let go of hindrances and trust me he's a hindrance."

 

 

 

He walks in without knocking and I glare at him.  "Do you always do that Michael?"

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 

 

"See a closed door and just walk through without knocking?"

 

 

 

"I live here."

 

 

 

Narrowing my eyes at him, I smirk.  "For now."  I pick up my purse and give Lindsay a quick look.  "Learn some manners Michael.  Lindsay I'll call you.  I have a feeling you and I have a lot to discuss."

 

 

 

CAR BACK TO LUTHER'S CONDO

 

 

 

BETHANY

 

 

 

Oh I enjoyed that.  I've been seeing Luther for the 3 years. Where the man gets his stamina from is anyone's guess but now that I'm finally installed I have no intention of moving out.  That's the mistake that Xanthe and Talon made; they wanted him exclusively.  I'm not about that.

 

 

 

He may bring others behind me but as long as I am Queen B that's all I care about.

 

 

 

SQUIRREL HILL - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

 

 

JENNY'S BEDROOM

 

 

 

GUS

 

 

 

Phil and I stare at the determined face of J and Hank has his head in his hands.

 

 

 

"What's wrong with it?"

 

 

 

"I'm pretty sure that we are breaking some kind of law if we post this?"

 

 

 

"Bollocks.  We're telling the truth, these things..."  She pauses and cocks her head.  "I thought I heard something."

 

 

 

Phil holds up his hand and checks the hallway.  "All clear.  But Gus is right, we could get in some serious problems if this is traced back to us.  Your mom could lose her licence for example and..."

 

 

 

"Why would I lose my licence?"  Mom's voice echoes round the room.

 

 

 

"Mom?"  I ask.

 

 

 

"You four in the kitchen now."

 

 

 

We trudge downstairs and come face to face with mom and momma both looking pissed.

 

 

 

Momma speaks first.  "Jenny you can't seriously be thinking of doing this?  You can't post this on YouTube."

 

 

 

"But we've got to do something!  Why should you guys fight it alone?!"  Jenny argues.

 

 

 

"We're not alone sweetheart.  This is a grown up..."

 

 

 

"Rubbish this is a family fight!"  Jenny exclaims.  "And we're part of the family."

 

 

 

Momma looks at mom who shrugs and starts to smile.  "She's going to do it anyway. At least let's make sure it doesn't come back to us.  Leda call Zeus and once it's up give the three of them a heads up."

 

 

 

Momma puts Uncle Zeus on speaker and tells him what's happening.  "Okay, you guys need to not do a fucking thing until we get there.  Zeon!  Not a fucking thing you understand?"

 

 

 

"Okay."  Jenny is grinning and almost bouncing off the walls.

 

 

 

Twenty minutes later they are here.  They look at the video she's made and start to work on it.  An hour later after talking about back ends, which has me and Phil grinning, they call dad and Aunt Zee.

 

 

 

BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

I can't believe what we are looking at.   "And you want to post this on YouTube?"

 

 

 

"What were you thinking?"  Zee snaps at Zeus.

 

 

 

"I cleared the back end.  He doesn't know anybody..."

 

 

 

"Wait my lig.  Think about it.  This gives Solly and Menno an out.  By exposing his homophobia and racism, they can back out of the deal leaving it just him and Luther."

 

 

 

Zee is pacing and running her fingers through her hair.

 

 

 

"Okay what we need to do is send it to Menno and only him - no posting, do you hear?  Then get Menno to call him to arrange a meeting, show him the video and pull out.  And someone needs to tell Jen what her grandchildren and their boyfriends have been up to!"

 

 

 

MILLIE & HAROLD'S HOUSE

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

HAROLD

 

 

 

"Okay, don't worry Phil we've got everything in hand.  Now go be the brilliant lawyer you are."

 

 

 

"Millie!"  I call out.  "We're going to New York tomorrow!"

 

 

 

She pokes her head round the door and frowns.  "Okay, shall I ask Melody if we can stay with her?"

 

 

 

"No.  Book us into the Chambers. It's very good according to Carl, and there's a spa called Caudalíe, which does a Rituals something or other. Book that too."

 

 

 

"Alright, but why are we going to New York?"

 

 

 

"To kick some Lindsay and Michael ass!"

 

 

 

LUTHER'S NO. 2 CONDO - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I hope it's not Bethany at the door. Since her last visit, she's been coming over more often than not and she and Lindsay keep giving me that look.  But at least she's taken to knocking instead of just letting herself in.

 

 

 

"Can I help you?"

 

 

 

The old guy pushes past me.  "Yes, you can get your ass in the lounge and call your dumbass blonde friend!"

 

 

 

"Hey you can't just push in here and..."

 

 

 

"Mr and Mrs Foster Brown!  What are you doing here?  How did you..."  Lindsay babbles.

 

 

 

The old lady glares at her.  "Giving you one last chance to avoid a catastrophe.  Drop the misrepresentation.  You lost fair and square.  You now live in New York..."

 

 

 

"Why should we and what's he to you anyway?"  I fume.

 

 

 

"He's my nephew and his daughter is my goddaughter.  I'm surprised that you didn't know that Lindsay and don't try and say that you did."  She looks round the foyer.  "You've landed on your feet here.  Now let's go to the lounge and discuss this further.  And no that wasn't a question."

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

How the fuck didn't I know that she is his aunt?!  I look across at the pair of them and try to think of how play this.

 

 

 

"Well?"  Millie's imperious tone cuts through my thinking.

 

 

 

"We just want what's due..."  I begin.

 

 

 

"And what would that be?"  She glares at me.

 

 

 

"A fair hearing."  I reply harnessing my inner WASP.

 

 

 

"Which you had and managed to royally fuck up."  Harold tells me.  "And where do you think this hearing is going to be held?"

 

 

 

"Pittsburgh of course."  I answer nervously.

 

 

 

"No, the New York Supreme Court.  That's where all misrepresentations cases are heard.  And do you know how much this is going to cost you?"

 

 

 

"We have enough money."  Michael sneers...and again I remember Bethany's words.

 

 

 

Harold scoffs.  "$200,000, you have $200,000?  I don't believe you.  If you did you wouldn't be hawking your laughable resume about." He gets up and helps himself to a drink.  "Heard back from any of the galleries yet Lindsay?" My heart starts to race and when he turns to me his smile is cold.  "Or when you call them do they say ‘we're still reviewing candidates...'"

 

 

 

"And to think, that's only from this area.  Can you imagine how far and wide our dear friend Melody's reach is.  Oh yes I believe she can get to Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, California...need I go on." Millie interjects.

 

 

 

"Fine."  I sigh in resignation.

 

 

 

"Fine what?"  He barks at me.

 

 

 

"We'll drop the misrepresentation suit."

 

 

 

"Lindsay!"  Michael gasps.

 

 

 

"Michael, we have to. We have no choice!"  I tell him firmly.

 

 

 

"Good, now read and sign this, both of you."  Millie orders.

 

 

 

I take the document from her.  "What does it say?"  Michael asks glaring at us, arms folded.

 

 

 

Sighing.  "It says; I, Lindsay Peterson and I, Michael Novotny, hereby retract the misrepresentation lawsuit against Philip Mitcham, his company or associates otherwise connected to the cases against Brian Kinney, now Brian Taylor-Kinney, Justin Taylor, now Justin Taylor-Kinney, and Melanie Marcus.  We confirm that we will not in the future pursue a civil or private suit against Philip Mitcham, his company or associates and accept the rulings made in the Alleghany Courts in Pittsburgh.  Furthermore, if we fail to comply with this agreement, we understand that we will be served with papers for breach of promise."

 

 

 

"Breach of promise, don't you just love irony."  Harold chortles.  "Now sign it and send it to your lawyers.  And before you ask, no we won't wait for you to do it."

 

 

 

Forty tense minutes later, the misrepresentation suit is dropped and they are leaving. Before they close the door, Millie pauses.

 

 

 

Casting a look at Michael then me, she glowers.  "You know what Lindsay... you are remarkably stupid for a smart woman."

 

 

 

As they close the door I look at a furious Michael.  "Why did you make us give in?!"

 

 

 

"You're not working, I'm not working, we have to pay rent; we couldn't afford to win let alone lose!"

 

 

 

"That doesn't even make sense!"  He snaps at me.

 

 

 

"We don't have that kind of money to go to the hearing with and if we lost we'd have to pay their costs too no doubt."  And then I smile.  "But on the bright side we have the money from Talon and with her long gone we can live off that for a while."

 

 

 

"I suppose so."  He starts to smile back.  "I'm going to watch a movie!"

 

 

 

Scowling at his retreating back, I think to myself; of course you are Michael, this is all you do.

 

 

 

CHAMBERS HOTEL

 

 

 

MILLIE & HAROLD'S SUITE

 

 

 

HAROLD

 

 

 

Millie is currently talking to Phil and arranging dinner for next weekend.  Although he knew nothing would come of it he's relieved it's no longer hanging over him.

 

 

 

She kisses my cheek and then wipes the lipstick off. 

 

 

 

I squeeze her hand and top up her glass.  "I still can't believe that worked!  Her face when I told her how much it would cost and where it would be held, was a picture!" 

 

 

 

We clink glasses.  "And then you, my queen listing all the places that she would never be able to get a job was just genius."

 

 

 

"Oh that's still going to happen.  And I hear that someone else has a special idea for her concerning the art world.  Now onto more pleasant subjects; have you read what happens in this Rituals thing?"

 

 

 

TAYLOR ELECTRONICS - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

CRAIG

 

 

 

"But Mr Schoepen surely you can see that this is a ruse to discredit me?"

 

 

 

"As I said Mr Taylor, Mr Stark, our business is concluded. We will find another way into the electronics world."

 

 

 

"But..."  Luther stammers.

 

 

 

"Good day to you both."

 

 

 

He closes the door sharply behind him leaving us in stunned silence.

 

 

 

"You fucking idiot!  You cost us that deal!"  Luther is incandescent.

 

 

 

"How did they find out about it though? You said..."  I quail in the face of his wrath.  "We can get another investor!"  I gabble trying to think of who.

 

 

 

"Get me a list of five names by Monday."

 

 

 

"Fine.  But Luther about your brother..."

 

 

 

"You get me investors, we get them signed on the dotted line and I'll lend you the money to pay off my brother and the gallery but only if the investors are signed!  Do you understand?"

 

 

 

"Yes I understand."