Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

Chapter 3

Michael's POV

Where is everybody? I've called Brian several times. I've even called Ted and Emmett, but noone has answered. I went to the diner and can't find Ma either. Now I've called her and she isn't answering either. Since I'm on my own for the night, I guess I'll go home. Ben is still gone. I didn't think he meant it, but it's for the best really. At least he understands that my time with Brian is now.

Everyone has seemed so different lately. They've changed, and I'm not sure it's for the better. It seems like they are all so busy now, never wanting to just go to Woody's or Babylon. I never get to spend time hanging out with Brian alone anymore . No wonder he thinks he's changed his mind about us being together! Well, I'm sure I'll think of something that will remind him how much he loves me, and how much he wants to be with me.


I go to the diner for breakfast, and I'm relieved to see Ma working. When I sit down, I expect her to come right over to me, but she takes her time. Finally she comes over and sits down with me. "What's going on Michael?"


"What do you mean, Ma? Nothing's going on. I could ask you the same question. I called you last night and you didn't even return my call."


Ma just looks at me a minute then says, "Honey, I heard that Ben has moved out. Are you okay?"


I roll my eyes, but answer, "Of course I'm okay. Ben moving out is the best thing that could have happened. It'll make it easier when Brian and I get together, which should be soon."


She looks shocked. I can't imagine why though since she knows that Brian loves me. Maybe she is just sad about losing Ben. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he'll be okay; that he'll find someone else to love. I just can't live the lie anymore. I've always been destined to be with Brian, and although I love Ben, it's just not as much as I love Brian.


"Sweetie, you don't really think you and Brian are going to be a couple do you? You realize he is with Sunshine and has no intention to change that."


"Of course we're going to be a couple. You know he loves me. You've heard him say it. ‘Always have, Always will'. I've just realized we've been waiting long enough. It's time for us to have our happily ever after. I know Brian will never call it that, but it's time." I say with a big ole smile on my face. It's so nice to be able to say it out loud. No more hiding it.


Debbie's POV


I didn't think it was true. I didn't want it to be true. Michael has really lost it. "Michael, I'm not sure Brian sees things the same way. Why don't you talk to someone who might be able to help you see things from a different and more clear perspective? You know Alex Wilder is a great guy to talk with about anything."


His face contorts into a mix of outrage and fear. "What the hell, Ma? I know you'll miss Ben, but that is no reason to try and stop Brian and me from being together. A shrink??? I don't have any need to see a shrink! Maybe you need to talk to him to find a way to accept this."


I sigh deeply and look at my son. I thought I knew him inside and out, but I really have no idea what has happened to cause this. And I don't know what else to do either. Maybe I have to listen to the rest of the family and just step back a bit. I can't sit by and watch this trainwreck happen, but I honestly just have no clue right now.


"I gotta go, Ma. I need to open the store." He gets up to leave and looks at me for a minute. "See ya later." With that he walks out the door.


He really does seem to be living in his own reality. I take a deep breath and get up. I can't help him right now, but in the meantime, I'll keep trying to think of ways to help. I need to face the truth, and stop defending him blindly. I'm not sure where to go from here, but I need to support the family as a whole.

**********

General POV


Word has traveled Liberty Avenue about what happened at Woody's with Michael. There are follow up stories about Michael and Deb talking in the diner. After all, neither one of them are known to speak quietly. The stories are slightly varied, but surprisingly similar and fairly on point as to what actually happened. But what isn't at all surprising is that none of the versions paint Michael in a flattering light.


Still smarting from his rejection by the Stud of Liberty Avenue, Brandon hears the stories and realizes they could be useful to him. It's always pissed him off that he lost that bet to Brian, but when he was turned away from the loft that night, he was infuriated. Not that he wanted to bottom, but if he had to lose the bet, he at least wanted to find out for himself if all the fuss about the Stud was real. Brandon felt like Brian reneging on the payout was a slight, like Brandon wasn't good enough for the Stud.


Here was his chance. He knows that Brian and Michael are best friends. Even he's heard the edict "Always have, Always will." He knows that even if they argue, they always work through it. Actually everyone knows they are like brothers, except that Michael must have missed the memo. So what better way to get under Brian's skin than to connect with his brother and steal him away from Brian.


Brandon has no real interest in Michael. He's always found him whiny and petulant; pretty much recognizes he's never grown up from being a teenager. However, it doesn't stop Brandon from seeing the potential in his idea. He decides he needs to give some serious thought about what he needs to do to make this plan successful.


**********


General POV


It's been two weeks. Two whole weeks and nothing. Michael thought that if he stayed away, everyone- well Brian especially- would rush to get him to come back. He's kept to himself even avoiding the diner. He's starting to think that maybe he should just cave in and go back himself instead of waiting for them to come after him.


Michael approaches the diner and before he goes in, he takes a peek through the window. His gasp is audible as he looks in, seeing the entire gang there, including Ben. They are laughing and having a great time and nobody seems upset that he isn't there at all. How did it all go wrong, Michael wonders. He decides against just running in and asking to be part of the group, but he misses it all.


Brandon sees his chance as he is about to enter the diner. Michael is standing there looking so desolate and when Brandon peers in the window, he sees why. Time to put the plan into motion.


Brandon comes up to Michael. "Hey there. Whatcha doing?" He says to keep it simple.


Michael looks at Brandon dubiously. "Nothing. What about you?" Michael isn't sure what to think of this, but at this moment he feels so lost and lonely, he is appreciative of the conversation.


"I was going to have dinner here, but how would you like to join me someplace else? Maybe someplace a little more special?" Brandon gives it his full charm.


In his current state, Michael is excited by the prospect. That's when an idea occurs to him. Hmmmm, I've only ever seen one person really get under Brian's skin and bring out his jealousy. This will be perfect. I will get Brandon to fall for me, and in the process, Brian will become jealous and dump the twink once and for all. This will make Brian's feelings for me come to the surface and he will see that he wants to be with me now.


"Dinner sounds great. Let's get out of here." Michael responds.


This is going to be easier than I thought it would be. Brandon thinks.


This is a brilliant idea. How can this fail? Brian will see how much he loves me when he can't stand to see me with his rival. Michael thinks.


Shakespeare wrote that misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows... and truer words were never written when considering the ‘fail-safe' plans of Michael and Brandon.

 

**************************************************

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Big love and thanks to Nichelle for all her help, motivation and inspiration... thank you so much!!!