Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

“Let me get this straight. You spray painted a car because the guy was a homophobe? You can’t go around breaking the law like that,” Justin told his sons.

“What would you know about homophobes? Pop’s got you everything you’ve ever wanted. You haven’t had to go out in the real world and deal with people. You may think you writing RAGE gives you some personal experience, but it doesn’t. It’s really just sad and pathetic. Finding stories on the internet and drawing pictures about other gay men’s lives is just an act of a loser. I bet if someone sneezed at you, you would curl up in a ball and cry.”

They had never told the kids about his bashing. When a tremor would hit, he told them it was because of an issue with his brain, not a complete lie. Brian and the family had not understood his want to keep it secret. He didn’t want his own children to pity him, but somehow, he had gotten one of them to loathe him. So much for good intentions.

Glancing up he saw Brian standing in the living room, glaring at Matthew. Justin could tell by Brian’s expression that he was about two seconds from blowing the fuck up. The need to protect his son, even after the hurtful things he had said, was strong.

“Brian, don’t- “He was cut off by his phone ringing in his back pocket.

Pulling the phone out, he looked at the number. Not recognizing it but answered anyway.

“Hello,” he said while watching Brian inch closer and closer to Matthew, hands clenched at his side.

“Dad?” His knees went weak.

“Anna, oh God, Anna,” he choked out. Sinking to the ground, he clung to the phone like his life depended on it. He could hear yelling around him, feel people getting in his space, but it felt and sounded very far away. All he could really hear was the breathing on the other end of the phone. “Where are you?”

“I’m fine, I can’t tell where we are right now. Because of the attack, we are under strict orders. I’m sorry, I couldn’t call earlier, it’s been crazy here. I can’t talk long, but I’m fine. I’ll be able to talk more in a couple of days. I love you, tell the boys I love them, tell Pop, I’m fine. Tell him I still have my lucky four leaf clover. I love you, Dad, bye.”

“Bye, you better call in a few days, you hear me?”

She laughed lightly. “I promise.”

“I love you, goodbye.”

Then she was gone. But none of that mattered, she was alive and well.

He looked up at Brian’s shining eyes, he wasn’t crying but it was because of shear will on his big, strong husband’s part.

“She’s alive. She’s alive,” Justin cried, throwing himself into Brian’s arms. He heard a cheer go up around him, the kids were celebrating.

Suddenly, Brian’s eyes got sharp again, he glanced at Matthew. “I think it’s time to call the family and invite everyone over to celebrate. We’ll finish it with a video and a history lesson,” he said before leaning down and capturing Justin’s lips in a mind melting kiss.

He could hear gagging sounds from his high schoolers. They could get over it.


Reece almost changed his mind, but didn’t. His reflection in the hotel room’s bathroom mirror seemed to mock him. Ethan had called and told him that he was going to be late, his wife was demanding that he go to their daughter’s recital. His parents were always at every play, game, show, really just anything any of their children did which was nearly impossible with ten of them.

His phone started ringing on the bathroom counter, it was Devon. He declined the call. A minute later it rang again. His dad. Declined again. Rang again a few moments later, his pop. Decline. He didn’t want to talk to any of them. Ten minutes later it rang again, this time it was Alex. He accepted the call then.

“Damnit, Reece, your parents are going crazy trying to reach you. It’s about Anna.”

A lump swelled in his throat, he was so upset with his pop, he had pushed Anna out of his mind. How selfish could he be? He would never be able to forgive himself.

“She’s…”

“Alive, she’s alive. Your dad said she said she was fine,” Alex said excitedly.

Anna had been Alex’s first girlfriend. She had been his date to the junior and senior prom. He ended up not going to either of his proms, he’d gotten grounded by his pop both times. He remembered begging his father to let him go, but he wouldn’t budge. It was one of the first times that he really realized that his pop must really had him.

“I can’t believe it,” he cried. She was alive and healthy, maybe God did exist.

“Where are you? I’m at my parents right now. I was giving you the day before coming over. Your parents are setting up a party to celebrate.”

“Hotel,” he said weakly. Now that he knew Anna was alright, he couldn’t seem to stop shaking.

“Why are you at a hotel?”

“Remember the guy I told you about?”

“The married closet case that wants you to be his boytoy. Yeah, I remember.”

“Don’t say it like that. Well, tonight’s the night.”

“You’re going to have sex with this slime ball. Lose your virginity to some old loser?”

Reece curled up on the bed with the phone it his ear. Regretting ever telling Alex that he was waiting for the right person to be with for the first time.

“You don’t understand, he loves me. He told me so.”

“Watch it, your daddy issues are showing.”

“Shut up. I’m doing this, no one is going to stop me.”

“If you don’t, I’ll give you what you’ve wanted since you were thirteen years old.”

Reece gasped. Surely, Alex wasn’t offering that. Not after all the years of begging and pleading on Reece’s part. He dared not to hope that Alex was serious. But…

“Really?”

“Really. All you have to do is leave the hotel now and go home. I’ll meet you there.”

“We can’t do it there,” he said, annoyed.

“I know, too many nosy people. But we’ll stay for the celebration, then I’ll take you to my parents’ house. They are out of town until next week.”

“That means we’ll have the whole place to ourselves,” he said, his voice giving away his excitement.

“The whole place, just us…all night long,” Alex’s voice dropped down a few octaves.

“I-uh-I, oh Alex, thank you. I’m going to leave right now. I can’t believe it. Tonight’s the night,” he squealed a little.

“God, Reece, you’d think we were having sex, not having a Loki and Freemont marathon.”

Reece made a rude noise. “No, Loki and Freemont is better than sex.”

“Since you’ve only had sex with yourself, that’s all you can compare it to, but I’ve got to tell you. Sex is way better than a stupid show about love sick dogs.”

“Shut your damn mouth, Loki and Freemont aren’t dogs, they’re shifters. Loki is a wolf shifter and Freemont is a fox shifter, you would know that if you would’ve watched it before.”

“I’m agreeing now, aren’t I? It only lasted what, two season?”

“One, but that doesn’t matter, they…wait, I can’t spoil it. You’ll see.”

“I can’t wait to see the gay, interspecies, crimefighting duo myself.”

Reece knew he was being sarcastic but he was sure as soon as Alex gave it a chance he would love it too. Maybe he could convince to read his fanfiction. He’d asked later, after he knew the characters.

“Great. I’ll see you in about forty minutes, bye.”

“Bye, weirdo.”

Reece hung up and started to pick up behind himself. He didn’t want to leave a mess for Ethan to find. He’d text him once was in the car. Leaving the keycard on the desk, he opened the door and left.


Brian was putting the final touches on his history lesson for his children. When he told them that he invited everyone, he hadn’t lied. He invited them all, and they all came, knowing the reason why. Once Reece was born they decided to keep their past in the past. They wouldn’t bring up his fucking anything that moved and Justin wouldn’t talk about his bashing. Brian had wanted Justin to reveal this, but Justin was adamant. But keeping secrets from each other and their children was over, it didn’t protect anyone it just made it worse. It caused him and Reece to be farther apart than strangers. Somehow, it had caused hatred from Matt to Justin. He hadn’t really paid attention to what was going on in his house. How had he let this behavior slip past him? Why hadn’t Justin told him it was so bad? Where had he been for the past few years? Had he gotten so complacent in his life that he had let his family fall apart? Well, that was over now, all their secrets would be coming out tonight.

The children thought they were just having a celebration after hearing from Anna. But they were in for a big surprise. Now that they knew Anna was okay, it was time to get his house in order.

“Brian, where do you want me to set up?” Blake asked.

“The media room.”

Blake had made a film a few years back, documenting his and Ted’s relationship. Using pictures, videos and interviews from everyone. Justin loved the idea and asked Blake to do one for them. Blake made two, one that was from their wedding up until when the video was made. The other was from the first time they met to their failed wedding. The first one they showed to the kids, it had videos of every time they welcomed one of the kids into the family, it was a happy one.  The second one, that was something worthy of Cannes. But Justin and Brian agreed it wasn’t to be shown to the kids. But now, it was time.

Everyone was talking animatedly, happy about Anna being alive and well. When the last to their group arrived, Brian was ready for the show to begin. It was already eight, so he didn’t have to make an excuse for Avery to leave the room. Avery said goodnight to everyone and went off to bed. During summer, he could stay up later, but with him being sick he jumped at the opportunity to go back to bed. Kenyon and Maurice both looked pretty bad but they could suck it up, he just made sure to tell everyone not to touch them.

“What are we doing in here, Pop?” Gus asked.

Brian stepped up in front of the movie screen, thankful that the media room was huge. It had been the stables until Justin had it redesigned for as a gift for the kids five years ago. It seated thirty people comfortably.

He was happy that Debbie was able to make it, even at seventy-three she was spry as ever, Carl at seventy-seven was still sharp as a tack. They were seated together on a loveseat. Lindsay was sitting with her husband on one side of the room, Mel on the other with her wife. All his kids, minus Anna, were on couches around the room. Ted, Blake, Emmett, Drew and Michael were standing near the back of the room, they would be taking a more active role in the storytelling, Jennifer and Molly included. There were two of his kids’ friends there but he thought they needed them. Carl, who mostly they called Cal except Matt, and Alex.

“I need you all to be quiet, a movie is going to play. This one is the story of my life with Justin, from the beginning until he left for New York. I don’t want any talking or questions until it’s over. I promise then, we will answer any questions you have.”

He saw a few smirks but they would see soon enough. He hit play and sat down in the chair that was his, he pulled Justin into his lap. Even at forty-three he could still pass off as barely thirty, still looked amazing too, and fit in Brian’s lap perfectly.

The screen lit up and the title popped up. Treading Water. That had been Blake idea but it was fitting. Club music played in the background. A date then flashed on the screen, Gus’ birthday and the day Justin came into all of their lives.

“What was your first impression of Justin?” Blake’s voice asked from off screen.

Michael’s face filled the screen. “What did I think of Justin? I thought he was an annoying twink.” Brian heard Matt snort but ignored him, he would see.

“Oh, I thought he was a delicious little treat, so mad Brian got to him first,” Emmett said with a swish of his hand.

“I thought Brian would hurt him and he would learn like the rest,” Ted said.

“As soon as I saw him, I knew he was a keeper. I just didn’t think Brian should be the one that kept him,” Debbie said, long gone was the colorful shirts and makeup. She was now in comfortable clothes and no wig.

“What did I think of him?” Brian saw himself on screen ask. “I thought he’d be a great fuck.” He winced at that, but no helping it. Caleb and Sean had heard worse from school.

“What did you think of Brian when you met him?” Justin’s face filled the screen. It lit up the screen.

“That I didn’t care who I had to kill or maim, I wanted that man. Even before I knew his name.”

The image changed, it was a picture of Brian sitting on the edge of Lindsay’s hospital bed. He was looking down at Gus with such love. The image changed again, seventeen-year-old Justin, surrounded by lesbians, looking as though he was in heaven with all the attention.

“What was your first impression of Justin?”

“God, I just kept thinking. Why did Brian bring this toddler to our son’s birth? Then he asked this blonde child what he thought of the names we picked out,” Melanie said, smiling at the memory.

“Does that mean Justin named Gus?”

“Yeah, it does, I almost had Lindsay convinced to name him Abraham. Brian didn’t care. But then Justin tanked everything. How was I to know he had a teddy bear named Gus.”

Justin turned his face into Brian’s shoulder. Brian did his best not to laugh.

Music started, it wasn’t happy like before, it was sad and foreboding. A picture of Justin and Daphne, sitting on his bed in his parents’ home, smiling for the camera.

“How did you parents find out about Brian?”

Justin was on screen again. “My mom, she found my drawings. Daphne ratted me out about showing some of my work at the GLC, she saw my drawing of Brian…asleep in bed. I guess then she saw him for herself and thought he was too old for me. So, she told my dad.”

“What happened then?”

“He hit Brian’s car, with Brian in it. A hit and run. Attacked him one night after we were leaving Babylon. Told me to come home now or not to ever come home.”

“Which did you pick?”

“Never.”

The image changed again, this time it slid into a video.

“Smile for the camera, Vic,” Justin’s voice said happily. It was clear Justin was the one with the camera, they were in Debbie’s kitchen.

Vic turned around and smiled at the camera. “I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.”

Brian heard Debbie sniffle. He hadn’t even known at the time that Justin would videotape just hours of Vic, when he was feeling well. After he found out, Justin admitted Vic wanted something that Debbie could have after he was gone. Something that she could look back on, and not his final days. Everyone thought he would wither away, but he hadn’t…he died peacefully in his sleep. It was Ben they had to watch wither away.

“Mr. Grassi, inquiring minds want to know. Boxers or briefs?” Justin’s devilish voice asked.

“Depends,” Vic said.

“Depends on what?”

“No, Depends.”

“Ha ha.”

“Now my question for you. What are you doing tonight?” Vic walked up closer to the camera and Justin.

“Woody’s.”

“Shouldn’t you at least be eighteen before you go to bars, and mooch for drinks?”

“Really?” Justin asked.

“Of course, not, I’ll get Debbie. We can all hit on boys together.”

God, he missed Vic.

The image changed again. Now it was a simple picture of Daphne and Justin, smiling at the camera, dressed to the nines for their prom. Then there was footage of Justin and Daphne dancing, although they weren’t the center of attention. Every few seconds Hobbs would come into view. Then there he was, sauntering through the door. Heading straight for Justin and Daphne. The footage cut off right after he and Justin took the floor.

Brian didn’t know where Blake found the footage but he was happy and angry to see it. He’d seen the video years ago, but his feelings were bubbling up again. Knowing what was coming next, he tried to prepare himself. For a moment, he thought about pausing and preparing the children but there was no way to prepare. He needed them to see what Justin had been through. How his children seemed to think Justin was weak, that was a problem. One that would be fixed shortly.

A female reporter was standing outside of Alleghany General. She was grim faced, showing respect for the situation going on inside.

“Last night, at the Saint James Academy’s senior prom. An eighteen-year-old student was attacked by another student in the hotel parking garage. Names have not been released yet but our sources say the boy attacked had been dancing earlier in the evening with an older man. The boy was hit in the head with a baseball bat. He’s in critical condition, anything else is unknown.”

Several pictures of Justin started appearing. His head bandaged up, in a coma. The horrible bruise he had for the longest time. That picture was taken by the police. The last picture, was Jennifer crying over Justin’s sleeping form, picture taken by Molly.

“What the fuck?” Matt roared before the whole room started yelling.