Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

It had been a while since he had all his kids in the same house. Two years ago, they had the summer from hell. Now it was their first family trip with all their new family members. Brian had just gotten a huge client, so he decided to treat the whole family. The client had insisted Brian take his family to his villa in the French Riviera. It was huge and gorgeous, and had enough rooms to house all of them, which was saying something.

“Someone want’s grandpa,” Anna said, coming through the open door, leading to where he was painting by the pool.

“Nice try, as much as I love my granddaughter, I’m too tired after watching her all night.”

“Did you hear that Taaj? Your grandpa doesn’t want you.”

Justin rolled his eyes and put down his palette. “Give me the baby.”

“Only if you want to,” she said in a too innocent voice. Handing the baby over to him.

“After I’ve been guilted, how can I say no?”

“I can. NO! Take your baby and go away. You’ve been pawning her off on your father since we got here. I get this is your vacation too but if I have to wrestle wine away from your ten-year-old brother, you have to take care of your own daughter,” Brian growled, taking Taaj from Justin’s arms and putting her back in Anna’s.

Justin bit back a laugh. Anna was a great mother, but she was still his daughter and tried to take advantage of that fact. He knew it but when he looked at the sweet baby in her arms he couldn’t say no.

When Anna had called a little over a year ago crying, he thought the worst. He had to talk her down until she told him she was pregnant and was scared Brian would hate her. After Justin talked some sense into her, she calmed down even more. Four months ago, she gave birth to Taaj, Brian and Justin had flown out to be there for her. And her worries disappeared as soon as she saw Brian hold his granddaughter. It was love at first sight.  

Meeting Sayeed’s parents had been a little awkward in the beginning. They had been overly prepared by Sayeed that Anna had two fathers instead of a mother and father. They had gone way overboard to show they were accepting of them. So much that they gifted Brian and Justin an art book of nude males. Brian made sure to display when they visited with Anna two months ago.

“Now go, I want to spend time with my husband,” Brian said, glaring at her.

Anna huffed but turned and went back into the house.

“You didn’t have to be so mean,” Justin said, putting his arms around Brian waist.

“Yes, I did. We’ve been here for a week and I have yet to spend more than ten minutes alone with you. If it’s not Anna wanting you to babysit, it’s Avery wanting you to play with him, or Shorty with his painting lessons, or Sean and his love life woes or…”

“Okay, I get it. But they need me.”

“You want them to need you. We have seven grown children and two almost grown, let them take care of themselves. The only one that needs you besides Avery is me.”

Justin smiled. “And what do you need?” he asked, his voice dropping to a husky tone.

“Daaad, tell Gus, he and Lisa can’t hog the sauna. I bet their having sex in there. That’s unsanitary,” Devon whined.

Justin laughed at Brian’s proud smile. Like father like son. Turning to Devon he sighed. “You are twenty-five years old. You are married.”

Devon looked confused. “What does that have to do with Gus hogging the sauna?”

“What your Dad is trying to say, too nicely if you ask me, is grow up. Put your big boy pants on and tell him to get out yourself,” Brian said to their second oldest.

Before Devon could response an almost naked Gus ran outside, his face red. He had a rag covering his manhood.

“DAD!” he yelled when he saw Justin.

“What?”

“Anna’s gone too far.”

“What are you talking about?” He just saw Anna and she had been fine.

“She came into the sauna and she-she was was…”

“Was what?” Brian asked, looking tired.

“She was naked,” Lisa said as she walked out to join them, she had a towel wrapped around her. Lisa’s Gus’ girlfriend, and she’s an amazing woman. She wasn’t like any of his high school or college girlfriends. She grew up in a trailer park in Tennessee. Put herself through high school while couch surfing. Put herself through college then got accepted to med school at Vanderbilt, that’s where she met Gus. He had dated airheads before her, she was smart and not afraid to put Brian or Gus in their place. Brian liked her immediately. She was tall, with long brown hair. Her waist was trim, but the girl had hips. She said it was a family trait, all the women in her family that hips and thighs for days. Justin was expecting any time now for Gus to ask her to marry him, he would be a fool not to.

“So, I’m guessing you were naked,” Justin said to Gus.

“It’s gross.”

“What’s gross about being in the sauna naked?” Brian asked.

“I was in there. She was just hanging all out there. It was sickening.”

“You’re a doctor, the female body shouldn’t disgust you,” Lisa said, jumping on teasing Gus.

“The female body doesn’t, hers, I may vomit.”

“I think your sister’s very attractive,” Lisa said, a smirk on her face.

“Eww,” Gus said.

“What?” Lisa asked too innocently.

“Whatever this is, we’re out. You have to work out this on your own. Your father is taking me out to dinner,” Justin said.

“I am?”

“Yes, you are. Remember, you wanted to spend more time together.”

“Yeah, but that only involved a bed…or table…or wall.”

“GROSS!” Devon and Gus yelled.

“Can I watch?” Lisa asked.

“Therapy, I need so much therapy,” Gus said before going back inside. Lisa winked at them and followed. Devon just looked at them with disgust and turned and left too.

“Well, that’s a way to get us some alone time,” Justin said, smiling at Brian.

“Go get ready, I’ll go make a reservation.”

Justin kissed Brian before heading inside.

“Hey, Dad, can I talk to you for a minute?”

Justin looked up and saw Barbie, Maurice’s wife. She was everything he hoped for Maurice. There was only one problem. “Sure.”

“Umm…I think something is wrong with me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you know...my time of month is late. And I was looking up what could cause it, I think I have cancer,” she said, her face pale with worry.

“What makes you think you have cancer? Could you be pregnant?” Say no, please say no.

“Oh, no, I can’t be pregnant. The website said that being late could be from cancer and some of my symptoms, like nausea and dizziness. I think I’m dying.”

And therefore, she was almost prefect, sadly, she was dumber than a box of rocks. She was sweet as could be but didn’t have a logical thought in her head. Brian hated her with a passion.

“It really sounds like pregnancy symptoms, are you sure you can’t be pregnant?”

“I’m sure, Maurice always uses a condom.”

“Are you on birth control?” He really didn’t want to be having his conversation.

“No, why would I?”

“Well, condoms aren’t foolproof. Accidents can happen.”

“Oh no, Maurice will be so upset.”

“No, he won’t. All he’s ever wanted was a wife and children. He’s got a good job now. You two have a nice apartment. If you are pregnant, he’ll be ecstatic.”

“Brian will hate me even more.” She wasn’t wrong, if she was it wouldn’t go over well.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, first you need a pregnancy test.”

“How?”

“I’ll get one while I’m out tonight. Meet me in the kitchen at ten and I’ll give it to you. Then we’ll know.”

“Thanks, Dad,” she said, wrapping her arms around him.

Barbie grew up with a single mom and absentee dad. When she married Maurice, after a short courtship, she asked if she could call them dad and pop. Justin said yes, Brian declined.

“Your welcome. Now try not to worry, alright?”

“Alright.”

“Oh, can you do me a favor and watch Avery tonight?”

“Sure.”

Justin again tried to get to his room, so he could shower and get ready.

“Dad.” So close.

“How may I help you this evening?” he asked, hoping not to sound as frustrated as he was.

“I was looking at places online in Albion to get. I was hoping you’d love over my top picks with me,” Reece said.

“Not tonight. Your father is taking me out. I’ll help you tomorrow.”

“Thanks. I can’t believe I’m going to live so far away. But I need to be closer to Tim.”

Justin did everything in his power not to roll his eyes. Reece had finally found the love he had always been looking for. In the arms of his father’s ex piece on the side. Tim was still doing time in Albion and would be there for another two years. He pleaded guilty and got cut a deal. A few months ago, Reece broke the news that he had married Tim in a prison ceremony. It was every father’s dream. Brian had been livid. But shockingly, he calmed down about it and seemed to accept the relationship. Justin was trying, but it was hard. This man had slept with his husband and taken his son hostage, but even he couldn’t deny that Tim made Reece happy.

“I’ll miss you, but you’re an adult.”

“Thanks for being so understanding.”

“Yeah, well, that’s me, understanding,” he said before heading back to his room.

Just as he entered his room his phone went off. He thought about ignoring it, but Debbie wasn’t doing too well and he couldn’t risk it. His heart dropped a little when he, so it was Michael calling.

“Michael, is everything alright?”

“I’m a grandpa, again” he said excitedly.

“She had the baby?” Justin asked, letting out a breath.

“Yep, seven pounds five ounces, twenty-one inches long. Boy.”

“Congrats, grandpa. What they name him?”

He heard Michael choke up a little on the phone. “His name is Benjamin. Benjamin Asa Morris.”

“That’s a beautiful name.”

Jenny had gotten back from her year aboard a totally different person. She was happy, confident and playful. For the first time in her life it looked like she was comfortable in her own skin. A month after she came back, she announced she was engaged…to Alex Morris, Reece’s best friend. It was a beautiful wedding. Michael walked her down the aisle, sober. Lindsay and Mel were both there. Lindsay had finally kicked her lousy husband to the curb after he was found with his pants down…literally. A few weeks later she announced she was pregnant. Anna had said she was worried about losing this baby too. Alex worshiped the ground she walked on, so Justin wasn’t too worried. The baby she lost was never forgotten, Mel had put a memorial up for the baby in her backyard. Even Brian had to admit it was a beautiful tribute.

And one of the best parts was Michael was coming close to his second year of sobriety. Year one was tough, a lot of calls to Brian in middle of the night. But now, he was finally looking forward instead of back. Not only that, he was dating a new guy. Kurt wasn’t like anything they’d ever expect of Michael. Kurt was a bear, and what a bear he was. The man was covered in hair, with a big belly and beard. But he treated Michael like a prince and Michael seemed just as crazy about him. Love is a strange and crazy thing. Justin was just happy, that he was happy. Kurt loved to go to the conventions with Michael too, he called himself Michael’s security from the fanboys.

“I tried to call Brian, but he didn’t answer his phone,” Michael said, bringing Justin out of his thoughts.

“Yeah, he’s making us a reservation for tonight.”

“Cool, I’m letting Kurt take me out celebratory dinner. I told him at least Benjamin will have a built in Santa impersonator.”

Justin laughed. The man did kind of look like Santa.

“I’m happy for you, Michael.”

“Thanks, two years ago I couldn’t see any light. Now, it’s all so bright.”

“That’s cheesy, are you drinking again?”

Michael gave a throaty laugh. “Nope, that’s all endorphins.”

“Goodbye, Grandpa. I’ve got to shower and get ready.”

“Bye.”

Finally, Justin was able to get into the shower.


“Hey, Pop.” Brian closed his eyes. He had just got off the phone making the reservations. He just wanted some alone time. Was that too much to ask for?

“What?” he asked Sean.

Sean was their late bloomer but sixteen hit and hit hard. You could practically see the hormones running crazy.

“I was wondering if I could fly home and spend the rest of summer with Sarah?”

“No way in hell. You are staying here and having a family vacation.”

“Why?” he whined.

“Because, you’re family. If I have to be miserable here, so do you.”

Brian escaped into Dorrington’s office. Sitting in the expensive leather chair, he threw his head back. He heard the door open but didn’t look up, it hadn’t been closed all the way, so the kids didn’t know to leave him the fuck alone.

He waited for whoever to say something. Nothing was said but then he heard it. The clicking of nails on hardwood floors.

Without looking. “You two, can’t a guy get some rest?”

“We just wanted to see you’re okay, Pop,” Avery said.

Brian finally looked, seeing Avery and Harley. Harley had become a full-fledged part of the family. Reece went to school and work so much he started to feel bad about leaving Harley so much. It was Justin’s idea to let Harley live with them. Avery seemed to have a special bond with the dog since he saved him. Sadly, Harley seemed to think he was Brian’s dog too. Several times Brian had been woken up by the big lug jumping on him. One day he was going to remember to lock his door.

“I’m fine, just tired.”

“Are you going to take us scuba diving tomorrow?” he asked worriedly.

“I promised, didn’t I?”

“I was just worried.”

As soon as Avery turned ten he wanted to get his scuba license. When he showed real interest in it, Justin made all three boys train. Once they found out where they were vacationing, it seemed like fate. Avery hadn’t shut up about scuba diving since then.

“Don’t be worried. Tomorrow come rain or shine, we will go scuba diving.”

“Okay, thanks, Pop. Come on, Harley, lets leave Pop to drink in peace.”

Justin really needed to stop telling their son he needed peace to drink.

Life was pretty good at the moment. Somethings weren’t perfect, like Maurice’s idiot wife. That marriage wouldn’t last. Then there was Matt and Shorty. They were still going strong, but Shorty had become more independent and Brian worried Matt would get jealous. But he couldn’t live their life for them, these were their decisions.

He was just glad that they had gotten Caleb’s tattoo completely off. Thank God for modern medicine.

Someone knocked on the door. “Come in,” he said, running a hand through his hair.

“Pop, umm…I was hoping to talk to you,” Kenyon said.

“Come on in, this may be your only chance.”

Kenyon walked in and sat down across from him. Brian waited for him to start talking.

“I want to quit law school.”

Brian took several deep breathes before speaking. “You’ve only just finished your first year. Why do you want to quit?”

“It’s just too hard.”

“What? Did you seriously think law school would be easy?”

“I just feel so…unfulfilled.”

“You’re twenty-two. You’re a full-time law student. What the hell do you have to feel so unfulfilled about?”

“Everyone has someone,” he said quietly.

Now they were getting somewhere. “And you don’t”

“That’s the thing. I kinda do.”

Brian’s eyes widened. This was a new development. “Who?” Kenyon was a very outspoken about being an asexual, while that didn’t make having a relationship unheard of, he never really seemed interested in finding someone that soon.

“Don’t be mad.”

That didn’t sound good. “Who?” he asked a little more firmly.

“Sharon Casey.”

“MOTHERFUCK!” he yelled.

“You promised you wouldn’t be mad.”

“I promised nothing.”

“She’s really sorry about what happened between you two.”

“What happened! What Happened! She fucking sued me for sexual discrimination.”

“She really thought you didn’t give her the promotion because she was a woman.”

“Yeah, funny as that was I didn’t even make that call, Cynthia did. She thought Sharon was too green for the job.”

“I know that know, and so does Sharon…now.”

“NOW! Now after my name and agency were dragged through the dirt? No. I won’t allow it.”

“Pop, I love her. I could have a good life with her. She understands me. She smart and funny, she doesn’t push. She knows exactly what our life would be like and she still wants me. She’s prefect for me. Please, don’t make me chose between her and my family.”

Brian could see Kenyon was warning him that he would pick her if the choice had to be made. Not wanting to lose his son, he bit back his anger. “I don’t have to like her, but I’ll be civil.”

“That’s all I ask. And she said that if I stay in law school she’ll move closer to me, so you won’t have to put up with running into her.”

Except for family functions, Brian thought.

“Okay, go on now. And there is no if, you are going back to school.”

Kenyon smiled. “Yes, sir.”

Dinner had been wonderful, Justin couldn’t stop complimenting the food. On their way home though he asked to stop at a little shop that was near the villa. He wouldn’t tell Brian what he got, he was very secretive. Brian decided not to ask because unless it was handcuffs he didn’t really care.


Justin waited until Brian went upstairs and waited in the kitchen for Barbie.

“Did you get it?”

“Yeah, here,” he said, handing her the bag.

She opened it and started to cry. “I can’t take this.”

“Why?”

“I’m not French.”

“Huh?”

“It’s all in French. I don’t know what it says.”

Justin looked at the box. It was pretty clear from just the picture, but she just wasn’t looking hard enough.

“Look, there it is in English just under the French. Two lines means pregnant, one line means not pregnant. Do you want me to wait for you?”

“Please.”

So, Justin played on his phone for a few minutes until she came back out.

“Well?”

“Two lines.”

Justin smiled, a bit forced but he was adjust soon enough. He was going to have another grandchild.

“Congrats,” he said, wrapping her up in his arms.

“Are you sure Maurice will be happy?”

“I’m sure.”

“And Brian.”

“He’ll come around.” Eventually.

“So, what was the mystery about?” Brian asked as Justin entered the bedroom.

“I’m only telling you now because I want you to pretend at least to be happy tomorrow when you hear.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “And?”

“And you’re going to be a grandpop again.”

“Lisa?”

“Nope.”

“Rochelle?” Rochelle was Devon’s girlfriend.

“Nope.”

“Please god tell me Anna’s pregnant again.”

“Nope.”

“Fuck!”

“Please, Brian. She’s really a sweet girl.”

“She’s going to end up breaking his heart.”

“Maybe, but that’s the risk we run with any of them dating and marrying. All we can do is be there for them when they are happy, and be there for them when they feel their world is ending.”

“When did you become such a dad?”

Justin smiled. “Twenty-seven years ago, when I first laid eyes on Gus. I couldn’t very well tell you that at the time though, could I?”

“Not a chance. So, another baby?”

“Yep. It could be worse.”

“How?”

“It could be Sean and Sarah.”

Brian shivered. “Don’t even joke.”

“Now that we have that done. How about some personal attention?”

“And what would that be?”

“I have a few ideas.”

“I bet you do.”

“If anyone would have told me that day in the hospital we would be here all these years later I would have laughed.”

“I wouldn’t have,” Brian said.

“No?”

“No. I would have thrown a drink in their face and called them delusional.”

“So romantic.”

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin’s waist. “I’ve got romance for days.”

“God, I love you.”

“What’s not to love?”

“Brian.”

“Fine, I guess I love you too.”

“Daaad, Barbie is throwing up. What do I do?” Maurice yelled through the door.

Justin groaned. Just as he was about to open his mouth to tell Maurice he was coming, Brian beat him to it.

“Hold her fucking hair back. Now if you don’t mind, I’d like to fuck my husband,” Brian yelled back through the door.

“You’re evil.”

“I’m sweet.”

 

The End.