Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry shorter than the last few.

 

 

Now that everyone was there, they sat down to eat. Avery stayed glued to Brian’s side while he ate. Thankfully, besides being more clingy than normal he was fine. Harley ate like a king, everyone had rewarded him for saving Avery. Reece complained that he would beg for scrapes now, but Brian had watched as he gave him a hotdog.

Gone was the scraggly man who walked into his home. Now Saayed had buzzed his hair with the help of Anna. Shaved to where he looked human and not some werewolf. He was also wearing swim trunks and a white tank. Anna and Saayed were smiling and giggling at each other…it was absolutely disgusting.

“This veggie burger is one of the best I’ve ever tasted,” Jenny complimented Justin.

“I looked up some recipes, I was hoping it wouldn’t be too bad,” Justin said, smiling at her.

“You don’t have to make a pig of yourself,” Rodger sneered.

He didn’t say it quietly so everyone heard. Brian watched as his goddaughter put her half-eaten burger down, not looking at anyone. Jenny had begged them all to not confront Rodger when he says his little comments. Brian could see his children were doing their best not to lay into him. Shockingly, Anna just glared, not saying a word.

“You need to eat more than that, the baby needs nourishment,” Alex spoke up.

Those who didn’t know about the pregnancy let out a surprised gasp. He had been lucky, Justin had told him before they went back downstairs.

“Well, I guess the cat’s out of the bag,” Jenny said, laughing nervously.

“It’s not like your showing yet, you’re just fat,” Rodney said as he shoved his third burger into his mouth.

Brian moved fast, sadly it wasn’t to take a shot at Rodger himself. No, it was to stop Alex from lunging at him, which he had just attempted.

“Why are you so mean to her? What is your problem?” Alex roared.

Jenny was showing, once they knew what to look for it was very clear. She had just been wearing loose clothes so it was harder to tell.

“How I deal with my wife is no concern of yours,” Rodger spat.

Everyone started yelling, most at Rodger, even Saayed got into the act. Brian’s attention was drawn to the road. A dark sedan pulled into his drive. He knew who it was, looking over at Justin he caught his attention. He then nodded to the new arrival. Lt. Martinez, climbed out of the car. They watched as he waved and started to make the long walk to where they were.


Reece could feel his heart pounding in his chest. The only reason Lt. Martinez would be coming was something to do with Chris Hobbs. What was he going to say? Once the man’s face became clearer the nearer he came, Reece knew it was bad.

“Hello, all,” the man said a little subdued.

“What can I help you with?” his pop asked.

“I would like to speak with Reece in private, it would probably be best if you and your husband join us.”

Reece followed his parents with Martinez following. They stepped into the kitchen and Reece sat down before he would fall. He knew whatever it was, he was not going to be happy. His parents took the seats on either side of him.

“Go on,” his pop said.

“As you all know, Chris Hobbs was charged and released on bail three days ago.”

Of course, they knew, it had been a miracle that he was able to stay at the loft. His father put in more safety measures in the building. It one of the reasons he freaked out so much the day Uncle Michael tried to get in.

“Yes,” his dad said, sounding a little distant.

“Well, an hour ago Chris Hobbs body was discovered outside his home. The detectives who were placed on the case will be here today or tomorrow. I just need to know. The coroner gave us a guess before she took the body. She thinks it happened an hour before that. It looks like all of you are here for a party. Was everyone here at around four this afternoon?”

“Yes,” his pop answered without hesitation.

“Pop, don’t. I’m not guilty so there’s no reason to lie.” He looked at Martinez. “I wasn’t here. I was cleaning the church for services tomorrow.”

“Did anyone see you?”

Reece thought back, he had used his key to get in the church. No one was there. When he went to get Harley from the loft he hadn’t run into anyone. Finally, Reece shook his head.

“Alright, I wasn’t here. Strictly speaking, I’m not supposed to be sticking my nose in this. But make sure you don’t answer the detectives without your lawyer present.”

Martinez stood and shook their hands, Reece thought he held his hand for a little longer than necessary.

He sat back down while his parents walked Martinez out. He thought if Chris Hobbs was dead he would be relieved. In fact, he had wished for it. But now that the man was dead. All he felt was empty. He had hoped that he would spend the rest of his life in jail, although Hunter had told him the reality of the situation. Hunter had told him and his parents days ago that even if he was convicted of what he was charged with, he could be out in five years. His pop had gotten really mad but his dad was just really quiet.

That was another thing that worried him. His pop had been livid when they found out Hobbs was out on bail. A part of him worried that his father had used his connections to have Hobbs killed. His father was a scary man when he was mad. Never had he been violent with them or his dad but sometimes, he scared him. But there was once it was close. There was something dark that hid behind his father’s eyes.

When Reece was ten, his father quit drinking. He had been drinking more and more. His dad told them to leave Pop alone when he was drunk. One night though, Dad had gone to Aunt Molly’s who had just had James, her oldest son. Devon, who was thirteen, needed Pop to sign a permission slip so he could go to the Warhol Museum.

Reece was watching television, he could hear his pop come out of his study. He hoped he wouldn’t make them go to bed. His dad had taken Caleb and Sean with him, so it wasn’t fair that he had to go to bed already if the little kids got to stay up. All the other kids were upstairs except for Devon. He looked like he was waiting for something.

“Aren’t you two supposed to be in bed already?” his pop demanded.

Reece jumped a little, he didn’t expect his pop to be so mad. He also noticed that his pop was a little unsteady on his feet too.

“He’s been drinking again,” Devon whispered. Reece nodded.

“I asked you two a question!” Pop yelled.

“I-I wa-was waiting for you. I need you to sign this,” Devon stuttered out, handing the permission slip to their pop.

Pop looked at it before throwing it back at Devon. “You’ve been there more times than I can count. It’s overstate line. I’ll be damned if I let those bastards take my kid over state lines,” he ranted. It didn’t even sound like his pop.  

It seemed like a weird thing to be mad about, all their field trips went into Pennsylvania. There just wasn’t much in this area of West Virginia.

“But Pop- “

Reece watched in horror as his father raised his hand like he was going to hit Devon. He didn’t hit him though, he stopped himself looking at his hand like it was an alien. He sent them upstairs, which they both ran up.

His father stopped drinking as much, and started seeing someone for his temper. It wasn’t until they were up in their teenage years that their pop told them about his abusive father. Sometimes, it worried Reece that the man who he saw raise his hand to Devon was lurking somewhere in his father. Was that man capable of murder?

No trial. No jury. No judge. Dead. Just dead. No justice.


“I know what you’re thinking, I didn’t do this,” Brian said to Justin as they watched Martinez drive away.

“I know you didn’t,” Justin said turning around.

“How could you know? I thought you would think it was me. Unless…”

Justin just walked towards where the party was still going on, leaving Brian was a shocked face. There was no way the man he’d been married to for twenty years hired someone to kill Chris Hobbs. First, they shared the same bank account. Anything as high as a hit he would think he would notice going out of it.

After the party calmed down everyone left except their children and Saayed. They were going to be staying in Gus and Devon’s room now that Matt had taken over hers. Brian smiled to himself, he was the furthest thing from a prude but those bunkbeds were going to be uncomfortable to the newlyweds. Well maybe now, they both were in the military.

Once Justin and Brian were alone in their room. Brian confronted him. “You had Hobbs killed?” Even though it was asked as a question it was really a statement.

“Don’t ask questions you’re not prepared to hear the answer to,” Justin told him.

“I do want to know. Also, how the hell do you know this person won’t turn you in?”

“My child is not going to spend the rest of his life scared Chris Hobbs is around the corner. He’s gone. It’s the best thing for Reece and for Shorty. That’s all you need to know.”

“No. Who did it?”

“You don’t want to know.”

“Tell me? NOW!”

“Cody.”

“Cody? Who the fuck is Cody?” Brian looked at Justin as he racked his brain trying to remember a Cody. Suddenly, Justin with a pick shirt and shaved head jumped at him. During this time, every other sentence was about Cody. “You can’t be serious? That psychopath?”

“I’m going to take a shower, it’s been a long day.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

So now that he's back. Is Cody still mad at Justin?