Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

Friday

The next morning finds Brian in a precarious position on the couch. One that leaves his neck sore, face lined, and him thinking, I can’t keep doing this shit. Sleeping in sounds like a good idea, but he knows he needs to procure an ad today or his restless clients won’t be satisfied until they have his balls, or ball. With great difficulty, he rises from the couch, dresses and somehow makes his way out of the loft and to his car. Although it all seems like one giant blur of movement to him.

After hastily parking at Kinnetik, he maneuvers quickly across the street to his beloved coffee shop. There’s a slight line of people there, Brian notices when he peers into the window, which is unusual as Coffee Monster ordinarily has one or two customers, if any, when he arrives. But Brian ambles through the doors anyways and heads to the back of the line.

As he waits in line, he considers bringing his new secretary, Inez, a hot beverage. But then he thinks, she’s the secretary, she’s supposed to bring me coffee, and that settles the matter. Most likely his attitude is due to numerous reasons, one being his stewing anger about the coffee’s, feeling sexually unfulfilled and last night’s sleeping position. Somewhere in the line, Brian decides that today is the day he’ll confront those idiot workers about their mistakes. For several minutes, he focuses entirely on building a tiny storage of rage, moving closer and closer to the cash register, so he can expressly tell every one of those underachieving losers what he thinks about their spelling skills.

But each of his nicely constructed insults that were built specifically for the kill shot face plant on the hardwood floor when he comes face to face with his cashier. Justin, his name tag reads, grins sweetly up at him in greeting. Justin, Brian recognizes a couple seconds too late, is the perky bottomed twink whose been handing off his skinny lattes to God knows who. Justin with the clear blue eyes that makes him think of sparkling oceans and sun-stone’s. Sunshine smiles, not at all appropriate for the gloomy downcast morning, which seems more fitting for cornfields rather than today’s shit weather and swampy streets.

When those thoughts pass, Brian wants nothing more but to find a book on lesbian poems and vomit over it. He can’t believe that shit just came out of him.

Justin goes on smiling, unaware of Brian’s sudden castration, fingers twirling a black sharpie absentmindedly around. “Welcome to Coffee Monster, how can I help you?”

“Uh,” he stumbles, a bit unnerved. Without his righteous anger fueling his motivation, he flounders in the face of the blond. His spiteful words plucked right before they even reach his lips. He glances above Justin and see’s the coffee menu and shrugs his shoulders back. Coffee, he knows. “I’ll have a large skinny latte wi-”

“-with an extra shot of expresso,” Justin finishes, typing in the order on the cash register. Brian nods dumbly feeling a bit confused, although Justin isn’t paying any attention to him.

When Justin does look back up again, he tilts his head back with a breezy grin, blond strands dangling past his ears, just barely brushing his shoulders. “I know you’re like a regular here, but we have a few really good other options, if you wanted to try one.” He bites his soft pink lips at the end, waiting for a response.

Brian hesitates briefly, gazing into the hopeful eyes, before nodding his acceptance. He isn’t exactly sure why he’s agreeing to this because he’s never been a man comfortable with change. Hell, for the last five years he’s been using the same laundry detergent. It’s no different with his coffee. It has the right amount of caffeine, sugar and calories to wake him up in the morning and allow him to power through the day. Why he would even dare to change is a mystery within itself.

It may have something to do with him desperately wanting to reach over the counter and take his own bite out of the downy lips which are stretched to the brink, wide and full due to Justin’s answering smile.

He misses most of what Justin says, too busy contemplating his attraction. An attraction Brian hasn’t felt for someone to this degree for weeks, possibly months, definitely before the avalanche of shit tumbled onto his desk- maybe, never. But whatever it is, the short twink gesturing wildly in front of him as he explains the different coffee drinks is calling to every frustrated and unfulfilled ache in his body.

And Brian doesn’t even like blonds, and he doesn’t do chicken. But he wants him badly.

“Shit, sorry,” Justin scrubs a hand over his flaming face. “I’m talking too much, aren’t I?” He doesn’t wait for a  response. Shaking his hair back before tugging his too long bangs behind his ears, he mumbles, “Sometimes I can get a little overexcited about the different flavors. But anyways, which one would you like?”

Brian hums, glancing up at the coffee menu, not knowing what any of the strange titles mean. It might have helped if he would’ve listened to at least some of what Justin was saying. He fiddles with his phone in his pockets, before thinking, fuck it… “How about you decide?”

This must have been the right answer because Justin’s smile is nothing less than enchanting.

He takes one of the empty blank coffee cups next to him and starts to write on it with his sharpie. “Any allergies I should I know about? Gluten sensitivities?”

“None that I’m aware of.”

Justin gestures to the girl next to him, the one from Tuesday, with thick curly hair to trade places with him. She makes a face and rolls her eyes, but otherwise doesn’t make a complaint.

As the blond head’s over to the coffee machines, he motions for Brian to follow. “Any special request?”

“Just a shit load of caffeine,” he answers, ambling over slowly to the pick-up window, watching Justin’s lithe body spin and grab up ingredients without hesitation.

“What do you think about whip cream and 2% milk?”

“I don’t.”

Justin frowns. “You don’t what-”

“I don’t think about them. I’d prefer not to become obese.”

Justin snorts, shaking his head, as he picks up at the container labelled, ‘2%’ and pours half a cup into the mixer. Brian groans, already feeling the need to head to the gym.

Justin smiles in return, holding Brian’s gaze, “I don’t think you have anything to worry about.”

It takes a moment for Brian to compose himself. He shrugs, attempting to downplay how much that one comment pleases him. He takes out his phone and begins to look through messages. Clearing his throat a few times, he says, “Just go easy on the whip cream.”

“Aye, aye, captain.”

When Justin hands him his coffee, their fingertips touch, lingering for a few seconds longer than necessary. Justin waits patiently, leaning over the counter as he watches Brian take a cautionary sip of the coffee.

Oh, the calories.

“So, what’s the verdict?” Justin asks, anxiously drumming his fingers along the counter.

Brian takes another sip, this one longer, and swishes the dark liquid around in his mouth. “It’s not bad.”

Justin studies his face for a few seconds before breaking out his sunshine smile. “Good!”

The white chocolate mocha with 2% milk and whip cream is simply just divine. If anyone notices as he walks into Kinnetik that there’s an extra pep in his step, he doesn’t pay them any mind. It maybe the extra calories in his breakfast/lunch or his brief encounter with Justin that’s making him feel lighter. The stress of the previous days sliding off him like sand. He forgets all about the name problem for most of the morning. Not until he’s safely tucked behind his large desk, doing damage control with Daniel Rugby, when he spies his name of the day on his coffee cup, ‘ANN,’ and he laughs, “fucking Justin.”


Finally it's Friday!!!!! And finally we meet Justin! Da duh da duh!!! Hope you have an amazing weekend! Olivia.