Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tons more drama and shocks. Thanks again for the reads and reviews. 

 

 

Justin spoke up, suggesting, "Why don't I make us some coffee so we can talk and let the kids play together for a bit?"

Nodding, Michael replied, "Sounds like a good idea."

As they moved toward the kitchen, Brian wrapped his arms around Justin's shoulders, placing a kiss on the side of his head. "Thank you, Sunshine," he whispered.

He smiled at Brian, leaning into his arms as they made their way into the kitchen.

 

 




Lindsay and Mel sat on their couch in the living room, not saying a word. The sound of silence was deafening.

The ticking of the clock, the rumble from the fridge, and the freezer drifted around, mixing in with the thumping of both their hearts.

Mel was the first to speak as her voice shook with emotion. "Who would have thought that I would miss the sound of kids running around screaming? The sound of Gus coloring, or JR's babbling to Jussie bear?" she murmured, turning to Lindsay.  "How are we going to fix this? What have we been actually fighting about that led us to this mess?"

Lindsay sat in silence for so long that Mel thought she wasn't going to answer her, until at last she admitted, "Honestly, I have no idea.  We have no money issues, we both have good jobs, and two wonderful children;  what do we have to fight about?"

Moving to sit more comfortably on the couch, Mel clutched a throw pillow against her body as she replied, "Maybe it's because we don't see each other enough at work, and neither of us is willing to cut back our hours. And Brian's always demanding to see his son."  The last two words were spoken with distinct disdain.  "All Gus talks about is how wonderful his daddies are, and how they did this or they did that, blah, blah, blah..."

Lindsay frowned at her as she reminded Mel coolly, "Well, he is Gus's father."

Mel glared at her as she bitterly spat out, "I'm his mother legally, and he has no legal rights!"

Biting her lip Lindsay peered back at her, a guilty look on her face.

Mel immediately knew something was up.  "What did you do?" she demanded in a very clipped tone.

 


Turning to look at her wife, she put on her best blank face as Lindsay revealed, "I filed papers giving them both the same equal rights to Gus as us.  I also put Brian on the birth certificate."

Throwing the cushion onto the ground, Mel stood up furiously, shouting, "YOU DID WHAT?! How could you do that?  You can't do that without my signature!"  

Looking up at a very red-faced Mel, Lindsay swallowed before replying, "Actually, I can.  I'm his biological mother, and he's his biological father. The papers you have just give you rights to make medical decisions on his behalf."

Eyes wide in shock at what she had just heard Mel, sat down heavily on the chair far from Lindsay. "I thought that I was legally his mother!  You betrayed me; both of you did!"

Shaking her head, Lindsay told her, "Actually, Brian has no clue.  He thinks that you are legally his mother, and not just for medical purposes."

Anger flowed fast through her veins as Mel leapt off the chair, grabbing her coat and keys and storming out of the house, slamming the door as she did.

Lindsay jumped at the sound as she buried her face in her hands, tears cascading down her face and making her heart beat even faster.

 


 

 


Gus and JR sat on the play mat that was in the kitchen, happily playing with their toys while the grown ups chatted at the table.

Justin asked, breaking the silence, "When do you leave for London?"

Ben replied, "The day after tomorrow.  Actually, we're not sure that we should go now."

Brian shook his head. "No, you should still go. We'll keep JR here, starting now, instead of her coming and going; it will be less stressful this way."

Michael nodded while looking at his daughter.  "As much as it pains me to leave her, you're right; it's for the best, and she seems happy to be with Gus."

They all glanced at the happy pair, oblivious to all the drama unfolding around them, and the decisions being made that would affect their future.

Justin covered Michael's hand with his own. "Don't worry, we'll look after her; I'm working from home until all of this is sorted out."  Michael nodded back at him in gratitude, stealing one more glance over at his daughter, glad that she was unaware of everything transpiring.

 

 


 

 

Mel drove aimlessly around town, letting her own tears fall as she did. How could Lindsay fool both her and Brian? It wasn't fair. The Brian of today was a far cry from the Brian of the past, even though he did pop up now and then, but it was rare.  

Pulling into a motel, Mel checked in, needing some space to reflect. Sitting on the bed, she sent a text, letting Lindsay know that she was okay, but that she just needed some time to think.

Lindsay cried harder after receiving the text from Mel. Her life was crumbling and spiralling out of control, so she grabbed her purse and made her way to the only place that she could think of.

 


 


Brian frowned upon hearing a knock at the front door, wondering how anyone had gotten in without being buzzed in at the gate.  He was shocked to see Lindsay standing there when he opened the door.  "Hi, Brian, may I come in?"