Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Well this is the last chapter for this part, I will start part two fairly soon. Really hope that you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

 

Thank you to my beta Kim, who helped even though she was injured, that means everything to me. 

 

Thank you for all the people who read my story and for the reviews xx

Party, Balloons - Free images on PixabayFile:Happy Birthday!.png - Wikimedia CommonsParty, Balloons - Free images on Pixabay

 

 

Gus had been so excited before going to bed, thinking about his birthday party the next day, that Brian thought it would be nearly impossible for the young boy to fall asleep. Gus, however, only lasted two pages into his story before falling asleep with a smile on his face.

 

Placing the book back on the shelf, Brian felt Justin take his hand in his, leading him from the bedroom. Speaking softly, Justin smiled as he peered over at the angelic-looking child. "I can't believe that he went out like a light like that. I guess the excitement of what's to come wore him out."

 

Shaking his head with a smile playing on his lips, Brian looked back through the slightly open door to watch his son sleeping soundly. "Yeah, and to be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing his face when he finds out the surprise we have in store for him and him alone."

 

Placing his arms around the slender blond, Brian whispered, "Why don't we place his wake up surprises on his bed in his room before we go to bed. I have plans for you that just can't wait any longer."

 

Laughing, Justin kissed Brian lightly on the lips as he nodded in agreement. "Let's do that, because you are soooo going to get lucky tonight," he told him with a sly smile.  With that, Brian placed what his son would wake up to in his bedroom before throwing his partner over his shoulder in a fireman's carry to their room, dropping him onto the bed as Justin giggled. All night long, they took turns giving each other pleasure until they fell asleep with satisfied smiles on their faces.

 

 


 

 

Gus woke up with a smile on his face, which transformed into an even bigger one of surprise as he looked around his bedroom, presently festooned with tons of balloons floating around the room of every colour. A birthday hat on his bedside table had a note that read ‘Wear me' attached to it. There was also a brightly colored parcel on the end of his bed with a tag that read, ‘Open me, Birthday Boy.'

 

Sitting up in bed to place the party hat on his head, excitement ran through his body as he reached for the parcel, opening it as fast as he could. He found a blue t-shirt with a picture of him in mid-air, jumping on a trampoline with the biggest smile on his face from a photo his daddy had taken recently. The picture had streamers and the words Birthday Boy printed on it.

 

Gus hugged the t-shirt to his chest as happy tears fell from his eyes.  Taking off his pajamas as fast as possible, he put on the t-shirt and a pair of pants that had been laid out for him. Popping back on the party hat, he dashed from his room to find his daddies.

 

As Gus entered the kitchen where he normally found his dads, he was greeted by a cheer of Happy Birthday, and the sounds of popping streamers going off all around him.

 

There stood not just his dads, but Jenny was there and his moms, Nana Deb, Granddad Carl, Nana Jen and Aunt Molly, Uncle Emmett, Uncle Ted, Uncle Mikey, Uncle Ben, Cousin Hunter, Uncle Drew, Uncle Blake, and Aunt Daphne. Everyone he loved was in the room wearing party hats just for him!  He couldn't believe that his heart could be filled with any more love until that very moment.

 

His eyes filled with happy tears once more as as he looked at his dad and ran toward him, leaping into his arms and hugging him as tightly as his little arms would let him as he exclaimed, "Oh, Daddy! This is the bestest birthday ever!"

 

Looking around at everyone, Gus spoke again, wiping a tear from his eye. "I can't believe you are all here! I'm so happy! Thank you."

 

Lindsay kissed her son's cheek, since he was still in his dad's arms. "You are welcome, honey. We have been here all night long; your daddies wanted to surprise you this morning."

 

Gus looked at his dads with his mouth open in shock.  "Wow, I didn't know! Thank you so much!" He hugged his father as he pulled Justin into the hug as well.  "I love you both so much!" Brian and Justin held him tight as they told him how much they loved him as well.

 

 


 

 

Breakfast was lots of fun, filled with joy and lots of laughter.  There was an air of excitement and anticipation about what was to occur later in the day.

 

Gus sat proudly with his party hat on his head, wearing his t-shirt and the birthday badge that Jenny had given him. He felt like the luckiest boy on the planet to have a family like this.

 

Gus looked over at his Daddy Justin, who was clearing the table after they had all finished eating.  "Daddy, may I help you wash up, please?"

 

Justin placed the dishes on the draining board, ready to be washed, and turned to answer him.  He smiled over how polite their son was, and over his thoughtfulness. "It's okay, Gus.  "That's nice of you to offer to help, but it's your birthday, so you don't have to do any cleaning up duty today."

 

Gus smiled as he pulled the step stool over next to the sink. "It's okay, Daddy. I love doing the dishes with you.  I can dry after you wash them."  

 

Justin smiled with a nod.  "Sounds like a good plan," he told him as the child beamed.

 

Everyone joined in as well, carrying their respective dishes over to the sink for Justin and Gus to carry out their joint task. Brian paused in wiping down the table to watch his son with pride, thinking how lucky they were that everything had turned out so well.

 

 


 

 

Getting to the ‘Playdome' was fun, since Brian had hired a Hummer Limousine to take all of them there in style. The look on his son's face when he saw the huge vehicle pull up would forever be imprinted on his mind and in his heart.  The sound of Gus's delighted squeal of "Oh, Daddy!" made his heart swell with love, as he knew his son instantly was aware of who had arranged such a unique mode of transportation, just for his special day.   

 

Mel chuckled as she leaned in to whisper to Brian, "You really don't do things half way, do you?"

 

Giving her a sideways smile, Brian shook his head. "Nope, just wait until Jenny Rebecca's birthday in a few months time, and you'll see what else I can do."

 

Mel's head snapped sidewards to look at him as he asked, "What have you planned, Kinney?"

 

Laughing now - knowing she only called him that when she was really shocked - he gave her a quick answer before going to join the others by the huge vehicle.  "Just wait and see; she will want for nothing."

 

Mel's mouth dropped open as she shook herself off before following him to join the others, who were standing by the Hummer to have some commemorative photos taken.  She was going to put it out of her mind for now and just let herself enjoy this birthday with her son.  But she couldn't help being extremely curious.

 

Once all of the photos were taken outside the Hummer, they entered the spacious interior, where more were taken before they put on their seatbelts to head toward their destination. Music played through a premium sound system, and colourful lights danced around them while they sang songs and danced; well, at least as much as one could while strapped into their seatbelts.

 

Justin held Brian's hand in his.  No words were needed to say how they were both feeling; it was reflected in the sheer delight shown on everyone's faces.  

 

Debbie sipped her sparkling drink as she commented with a smile, "Now this is the way to travel in style! I tell you, kiddo, you sure know how to do things in the grandest way."

 

Laughing, Brian replied, "Anything for my Sonny Boy."

 

Gus smiled, his expression an exact replica of his dad's smile, which made him feel proud, because he wanted to be and look just like his dad.

 

Aaron, the limousine driver, was so happy that he had been given this particular assignment.  The sounds of laughter and singing that were coming from the back of the vehicle made his heart soar. He was even more shocked when the birthday boy had given him a party hat of his own, and had asked him to join in with them when they got to the Playdome, even telling him that he could bring his kids as well if he could call someone to get them there.

 

No one had ever asked him to join in, let alone invite his kids as well. He needed clearance from his boss before he could say yes.  And he was very lucky that there were places where he could park the huge vehicle with proper security in the area, so he was given the go ahead to join in.  The company had grown enormously since Kinnetik had taken over the advertising, so the okay was easy to obtain.

 

Since they had taken the long way to the Playdome so they could enjoy their times in the luxury of the Hummer, Aaron's kids and wife were already there and waiting for them.

 

Everyone in the back seats was buzzing to get out now and enjoy the next part of the day.  Of course, the teasing about the baby slide began, making everyone laugh, and Brian buried his face in his hands, groaning.

 

Aaron opened the passenger door to let everyone out, giving a helping hand when needed. Gus was the last person to exit, stopping to shake Aaron's hand. "Thank you for driving us. You drive really good!  It must be very hard with a huge car like this one."

 

Smiling, Aaron shook the young man's hand back as he replied, "You're very welcome.  It was hard at first, but I had lots of lessons on how to drive something like this, so now it is much easier."

 

Nodding, Gus smiled. "That's good.  I like learning new things. Is that your family over there?"

 

Looking to where Gus was pointing, he nodded.  "Yes.  That's my wife, Cindy, and my little girl Angela and my little boy Mark.  They're very happy that you asked them to come to your party.  That was very kind of you."

 

Gus reached back into the bag inside the limo and pulled out three more party hats for the new arrivals. "I'm very happy they said yes and could come. I'm going over now to give them their party hats," he told the man as he ran over to greet the new arrivals.

 

When Gus reached them, he smiled. "Hi, I'm Gus!  Thanks for coming! I'm so happy you could be here!"  He held out the objects in his hand as he told them, "I brought you party hats to wear."

 

Cindy, Angela, and Mark put on the hats right away, smiling as they did.

 

Cindy greeted the young man. "Thank you for inviting us! We love coming here; it's so much fun."

 

Gus beamed and nodded. "It IS lots of fun!  I love how the grownups can play too! So let's go in and have some fun."

 

Brian and Justin held one of Gus's hand in theirs as they led him inside the building, as yet again Gus's mouth dropped open in shock. There stood all of his friends from school, and even some of his favourite teachers. Lorrie and her boyfriend. Alesky and his boyfriend, Bernardyn with his wife, and Simon, of course. David, Kevin and their families were there as well, so that meant everyone he loved in the world was in the same place at the same time.

 

Looking up at his dad, Gus's voice shook with emotion. "I didn't know that everyone was coming. This is really a dream birthday, Daddy! Thank you."

 

Crouching down beside his son, Brian wiped a tear away that had fallen on his child's little face as he told him, "You deserve this, Sonny Boy, and more. We all love you and want you to have the best day ever."

 

Hugging his dad, Gus let out a contented sigh. "Love you, Daddy."

 

Kissing his son's cheek, Brian murmured softly, "I love you, too.  Now you go have fun, okay?"

 

All the adults greeted each other as the kids dashed into the ball pits, climbing frame areas, and everything else that surrounded him. Simon hugged his friend as he said, "Happy Birthday, Gus!  Were you really surprised when you saw us all here?"  

 

Gus laughed as he led Simon to their favourite part of the Playdome. "I sure was! I thought that it was only going to be me and my daddies. I didn't know about everyone else coming.  It's so cool!"

 

Simon giggled. "I knew. Your mommies and my mommy helped.  We put up all the balloons and decorations, My daddy helped make all the birthday food with Emmett.  He is really cool, by the way."

 

Gus gasped, "Really?  You all did that?   WOW, that is soooo great!  And, yeah, Emmett is really cool, and he is very funny."

 

Others joined in the fun with them; all their friends from school were making up games for them to play, which produced even more laughter.

 

The adults soon wanted in on the fun, too.  Some chose the bouncing castle for grown ups, others chose the adult ball pit, while others joined in on the slides and swings and face painting.

 

Brian got to the slides and found a big sign with his picture that read NOT FOR BIG KIDS that made him fall over with laughter, causing him to ride down the big slide and crash into the balls below, where Gus has been watching him and laughing at the same time.

 

Jennifer took a break from jumping in the bouncing castle to take in some water as Lindsay did the same thing.  "Wow, I think I need more gym time, or a gym just like this, because working out like this would be so much more fun, don't you think?"

 

Lindsay laughed. "Now, that is a really good idea!  Maybe we should make one and get Brian to advertise it for us."

 

Emmett and the others were having a blast, too.  They felt like big kids finally let out to play after getting grounded for years. They were having just as much fun as the young kids, and they were thrilled to be a part of it all.

 

Debbie was the next to fold and needed refreshment, "Christ, those children sure have a lot of energy, don't they?"

 

Mel laughed, having just sat down moments before that. "They sure do!  If you could bottle it up and sell it, we would be zillionaires by now."

 

Justin took tons of photos and videos in between playing as well, and trying to avoid getting dunked by Brian down the huge slide.

 

 


 

 

Two hours had passed by the time Brian needed a break, and he used that time to watch his son play: his little face was flushed from all his exercise, and he wore a smile that just got bigger and bigger. Brian was sure that it would stay on his face for a very long time, and he was so thankful that his son was having a completely different childhood than he had experienced.  

 

Jennifer made him jump slightly by kissing his cheek out of nowhere. "I'm very proud of you, Brian."

 

Raising an eyebrow at her, Brian asked, "Why, what did I do?"

 

Laughing, she waved a hand towards Gus and Justin, who were currently playing "Follow the Leader" with the others kids and adults, including Aaron and Cindy, who fell over from laughter.  "That. You caused that look of happiness, and the joy in my son and your son's hearts. I never thought that I would see that, ever. Your son is the image of you in both looks and heart, and that heart will do wonderful things in the world. He already has.  What child doesn't want birthday presents, but asks for people to help charities instead? That is because of you, and what you have instilled in him. You always help others and he's noticed that, and he wants to be just like you. I, for one, am happy that he will be around to pass that on to others as he grows up."

 

Brian blushed, which was something he never did, as he shifted on his seat. "That wasn't me; that was the family."

 

Kissing his cheek once more, Jennifer smiled. "Don't sell yourself short, Brian. I'm very proud of you, and proud to call you part of my family."

 

Brian moved to reply, but was unable to as Jennifer smiled before walking over to help gather the kids and adults so they could sit and enjoy the party food and soft drinks.

 

Numerous tables were overflowing with food and drink selections. From the chatter and laughter that filled the air, it was obvious how much everyone was enjoying the occasion.

 

When the cake came out, it was the biggest anyone had ever seen, with an authentic-looking treehouse and trampoline situated on the top. A rousing version of "Happy Birthday" rang out as more photos were taken. When it came time to blow out the candles  Brian and Justin stood on one side of him, and Lindsay and Mel on the other. Brian whispered in his ear, "Don't forget to make a wish, Sonny Boy."

 

Gus closed his eyes and made his wish before blowing out all the candles in one go.

 

Brian kissed his cheek after he did, whispering, "Happy Birthday, Son."

 

 


 

 

All the kids and adults left with the best party bags ever, all containing an Apple product, gift cards for the best places to eat, prepaid admission to the most popular adventure parks, and lots more.

 

Justin laughed, telling him the best thing he ever got in a party bag was a bottle of bubble-making fluid and a small, plastic wand.

 

 


 

 

The Hummer pulled up outside Britin, and everyone emerged from the vehicle, once again assisted by Aaron for those who needed it, and just like the last time Gus was the last person to exit.

 

Crouching down to be able to talk to Gus face to face, Aaron smiled at the birthday boy while shaking his hand. "Thank you again for inviting my family and me to be a part of your party," he told him sincerely.  "We really enjoyed it."

 

Gus smiled back at him. "Angela and Mark are really fun to play with!  I hope that we will all have play dates again. I'll ask my daddy to give you our number, so we can stay friends."

 

Aaron had to swallow a lump in his throat before replying, "We'd like that a lot, Gus. Oh, before I go..." Aaron pulled something out of his pocket. "Cindy made this for you right after I called her this morning. She wanted to say thank you.  She was amazed that instead of presents, you wanted people to help charities. That made Mark and Angela decide to go home and get their money boxes out, so they can give their money to the Pay it Forward restaurant to help buy meals for those who can't afford to."

 

Gus looked down at the beautiful, light-blue-and-white twisted rope bracelet in his hand. Looking back up into Aaron's eyes, he leaned forward and hugged him. "Thank you so much! It's beautiful. Please give Miss Cindy a hug for me, and thank Angela and Mark for helping people who can't buy their own dinners."

 

Nodding against the little boy's shoulder as he hugged him back, Aaron assured him, "Of course I will.  Now you go and enjoy the rest of your birthday, and we'll set up lots more play dates, I promise."

 

Brian joined Gus, watching as Aaron drove away. He had refused a huge tip; instead, he asked that it be given to a charity of Gus's choice.

 

Clearing his throat, Brian spoke as he laid a hand on his son's shoulder. "You okay, Sonny Boy?  You ready for the dinner, and the big reveal?"

 

Looking up at his dad with that Kinney smile he had inherited, he nodded eagerly. "I am so excited, Daddy! Are you and Dad nervous?"

 

Brushing his hand through his son's hair, Brian admitted, "Yeah, we're nervous.  But we know that you will help us get through this," he told him, gently steering his son toward the front door, where everyone was waiting for the guest of honor to enter the house first.

 

 


 

 

Once inside the house, all the chatter stopped as Gus stopped dead in his tracks in the dining room. There before him set up was a MAD HATTER style table; a rack of costumes hung nearby with their names on them to wear.

 

Gus jumped up and down clapping his hands with excitement as everyone dashed to see which costume their name was on.  Everyone seemed satisfied with their outfit except Justin.

 

Brian had to bite his lip to keep from laughing at his partner, who motioned for him to come closer.

 

Justin looked at Brian aghast, holding the costume that had his name on it.  "Why, Brian?  Why do I have to be Alice In Wonderland?  Really?  Why couldn't I be like the rabbit or something?"

 

Placing his arm around the slender blond, Brian hugged him as he explained, "I don't know. Maybe it was the perfect one for your sexy, slender body.  Besides, no matter what you wear you will look sexy."  He leaned in closer so no one could hear what he said next.  "Just think of our son's face when he sees you taking part no matter what, and the look of surprise on everyone else's face when he does the big reveal that is coming very soon."

 

Sighing deeply, Justin leaned into Brian's embrace as he commented dryly, "Well, we're both blond.  And beautiful. Sexy, huh?"  

 

Brian nodded with a smile.  

 

"Okay. You're right; sorry for my queen-out moment."

 

Kissing his temple, Brian led him out of the room so they could both get dressed.

 

 


 

 

Soon everyone was dressed in their costumes, Gus was a little Prince Charming, while Brian wore the grown up prince costume. Lindsay was the White Queen, while Mel was the Queen of Hearts. Ted and Blake were rabbits, while Emmett and Drew were a frog and a caterpillar. Daphne was a frog as well, but a sexy one, of course. Debbie and Carl were a Queen and King, and Jennifer and Molly were butterflies.  Jenny, naturally, was a fairy princess.

 

Everyone was having a great time, with lots of chatter and laughter filtering around the table; the theme of the dinner party was a huge hit, even though Justin had to sit in a dress and wear a long, blond wig. Of course, lots of photos and video clips were taken throughout the event.

 

 


 

 

The moment the guys and Gus was leading up to was coming, and Gus found his dads in the pantry when they quietly slipped away.

 

Justin was having a panic attack, blowing into a paper bag to try and get his breathing back under control.

 

Gus ran in and began rubbing small, slow, steady circles on his dad's back. "It's going to be okay, Dad, I promise. Everyone will be really happy, won't they, Daddy?" he said, looking up at his father who looked a little anxious himself.

 

Tamping down his nervousness, Brian nodded as he smiled down at Gus, who was managing to help Justin get his breathing back to normal. "Of course, Sonny Boy.  It's going to be fine."

 

Finally with his breathing under control, Justin nodded gratefully at the child.  "You're right, Gus.  I think it's just starting to set in, because in the next ten minutes everyone is going to know.  Are you ready for the show?"

 

Gus placed the trays that held the cupcakes and envelopes onto the dessert trolley, so he could roll it into the room where everyone was waiting and hand them out.

 

Brian and Justin hugged Gus tightly as Brian asked softly, "You guys ready for this?"

 

Justin smiled, his eyes glistening with tears.  "As ready as I'll ever be. Are you two ready?"

 

Leaning over, Brian placed a kiss on both his boys' cheeks as he assured them, "More than anything."  Peering at his son affectionately, he told him, "Okay, Sonny Boy.  This is your big moment; go for it."

 

Squaring his shoulders and standing tall and proud that his dads had given him this massive job, he replied confidently, "I won't let you down, Daddies. I promise."

 

Cupping his son's face in the palm of his hand, his heart swelled with love and pride as he told him, "You could never in a million years, or even infinity, fail to do us proud." After one more hug, Gus began to roll the trolley into the dining room.  

 

 


 

 

Everyone looked over when Gus entered, causing Emmett and Daphne to cheer.  "Yeah! Dessert time!"

 

Gus eyed everyone sternly.  "Okay, everybody.  Don't lift the cover or open anything until I say ‘ready, steady, go,' okay?"

 

All agreed, wondering what he was up to; they assumed it was just some party game that he had made up.

 

Michael joked, "Is this a race, Gus? Does the winner get a prize for being the fastest?"

 

Gus covered his mouth in a fit of giggles; he loved his silly uncle. "No, Uncle Mikey...but it promise it will be exciting, though."

 

Once everyone had their covered plates, Gus stood on a chair at the head of the table with his dads on either side of him, both of them placing a hand on his shoulders to let him know that it was time.

 

Smiling, Gus took a deep breath before speaking.  He felt just as nervous as his dads as he said, "OK, ready, steady, go!"

 

They all laughed as they lifted the covers to find that they each had three cupcakes that were half blue and half pink; a beautifully decorated envelope with their names on them sat beside them.

 

Prompted once more by Gus, they opened the envelopes; within seconds, the gasps and shocked expressions spread around the table like a wildfire in dry grass.

 

Debbie gazed down at the picture in her hand. Her heart beating faster and faster by the second, she looked back up the boys' nervous faces peering back at her as she asked, "Is this for real? Is this a sonogram picture of triplets? Are you having more babies?"

 

All eyes were now on the boys waiting for an answer. Thankfully, Gus spoke first, because words were stuck in both of his fathers' throats at that point. "Yes, Nana Deb, we are having three babies at once! I got to hear their heartbeats, and everything is okay.  Isn't this the best news ever!?"

 

Brian and Justin grasped hands and held their breath, waiting to hear how the rest were taking the news as Debbie finally let loose. "OH, MY GOD! FUCKIN OH, MY GOD!  How?  When?  Who is the mother?  Oh, my God!  This is the best news ever! My boys are going to be dads again," she exclaimed, her eyes teary as she placed her hand over her heart.  

 

Running to them, Debbie knocked the wind out of them, hugging both of them tightly as they hugged her back. "I'm so proud of you both and so happy for you!"

 

Brian looked into her eyes as he replied, "Thank you, Ma. That means a lot to us, and we will tell you more very soon."

 

Lindsay traced the figures on the picture with her finger as she gazed at the images in wonder.  Three babies.  Her son's father was going to have three more babies. She thought that she should feel jealous or left out, but she didn't. All she felt was pure and honest-to-God joy and happiness for them. Looking at Brian and Justin together - one holding Gus as the other held Jenny - made her feel even happier. She thought back to that fateful time last year and how different things could have been. She would make sure that they knew that she was happy for them, and would help them in anyway they needed. Mel's eyes met hers, and she knew that she was feeling the same way, and that their family would be ok,because it was growing more full of love.

 

Emmett was jumping up and down, hugging everyone and already claiming dibs on planning the baby shower, while the rest were full of tears and smiles as they congratulated the two men on their exciting news.

 

Brian laughed as he told Emmett, "It's okay, Honeycutt, you can plan the baby shower. Justin and I already talked about it."

 

Emmett smirked. "This is a one-time deal in getting away with calling me Honeycutt; I'm too damn happy to care...Kinney."

 

Brian and Justin laughed harder as they hugged their friend.

 

Michael, however, was frozen to the spot, still gripping the scanned photo in his trembling hands.

 

Justin bumped Brian's shoulder to get his attention, gesturing with his head towards where Michael was sitting, as he whispered, "Go talk to him.  Explain why we kept it a secret, so he can understand.  We really didn't mean to hurt his feelings."

 

He kissed Justin's cheek as well as Jennifer and Molly's, both of whom were standing next to them and still crying happy tears while looking at the picture.

 

As Brian left to join Michael, Jennifer once again engulfed her son in a hug. "My baby is having a baby!  Not just one, but three!  You and Brian really don't do things halfway; you never have and you never will."

 

Shaking his head and laughing at his mother's words, Justin replied, "No, no, we don't, do we? I'm sorry we didn't tell you.  The only ones who knew were Gus and Jenny.  They were there every step of the way with us, because we felt it was important that they be involved, since they were getting new brothers or sisters."

 

Taking her son's face in her hands, Jennifer assured him, "You have nothing to be sorry about.  You did this the right way for your family, and I am very proud of you, Justin...very proud."

 

Hugging his mother, Justin let out a breath he did not know that he had been holding.  "Thank you, Mom."

 

Hugging his sister next, he whispered, "You are going to be the best auntie in the world, Molly."

 

Molly vowed to help as much as he wanted her to and always be available to babysit.

 

 


 

 

Michael's gaze never wavered from the picture in his hand as he felt Brian sit down next to him, but he did find his voice. "Why didn't you tell me that you were going to do this; have more children?"

 

Brian reached over, taking his other best friend's hand in his as he explained, "We didn't do it this way to hurt you, Mikey, or anyone else. You're my best friend; always have been, always will be.  But this is something Justin and I wanted to do alone with Gus and Jenny. I hope that you can understand that and respect that.  Can you forgive us?" Using a finger under Michael's chin, he made him look at him. "Are you listening to me, Mikey?"

 

Michael nodded with a slight smile on his face; some things - and expressions - never changed. But then again, some things did.  "I'm listening."

 

Brian took a deep breath before speaking again.  "Justin and I didn't want to involve others, because it can become too much,  What if something had gone wrong? Despite how young he is, Gus has been the rock that has held us together.  Yeah, he's still a child, but, my God, is he strong!  When we thought about giving up, he set us straight. So please, Mikey, I hope you can understand. I couldn't bear it if I lost you over this."  He curled his lips under pensively before leaning his forehead to rest it against Michael's. "You do know that you are going to be the godfather, right?"

 

Michael hugged his best friend and who he considered to be his brother tightly as he assured him softly, "You are never going to lose me. I am so happy for both of you; really.  I'm very proud of you, Brian."

 

Kissing his friend on the lips, Brian smiled in relief as they made their way over to join the others to watch the DVD as they all gushed oohed and ahhed over it.

 

Justin whispered to Brian, "Is everything okay?"

 

Holding Justin in his arms, Brian smiled as he replied, "Everything is perfect."

 

 


 

 

A few minutes later, Gus was sitting happily, nestled in his dad's arms, as they all watched a movie. Brian felt the buzz of his phone indicating that it was time for Gus's next surprise.

 

Justin couldn't wait to see the birthday boy's reaction.  Right on cue, he cleared his throat as he asked, "Brian, Gus, would you help me with something, please?"

 

They both leapt to their feet, saying, "Of course," as the others followed, prompted by Justin's motion for them to accompany the three of them.

 

Standing in front of the patio doors, Gus raised an eyebrow in an exact imitation of his father as he frowned. "Dad, is everything okay? It's dark out there."

 

Brian and Justin stood beside him on one side, while Lindsay and Mel stood on the other, as everyone else stood directly behind the parents.

 

Brian prompted, "Gus, why don't you turn on the lights?"

 

Gus did just that, and was shocked to see their neighbor Kyle standing there, holding a basket and a poster that showed his dream tree house.

 

Quickly opening the patio doors to greet him, Gus commented, "Kyle, I thought that you were in Spain? How did you get here in the dark? And that poster is so cool!"

 

Kyle laughed at the rush of words that flowed out of the young boy.  Glancing at Brian and receiving a nod he explained, "I was in Spain, but I came home two days ago.  And this poster is to help us while we build your tree house."  He pointed over toward the left as Gus gasped in shocked delight at the building materials sitting nearby that would be needed to make the drawing come to life.  

 

Kyle smiled as he told his friend, "Happy Birthday, Gus! Your Daddies and Mommies wanted to surprise you.  And I'm going to help build it, so you'll be seeing  lot of me."   

 

The sound of sudden whimpering broke their attention from what they were discussing as Gus looked around to see where the noise was coming from.  He thought it might be coming from the basket Kyle was holding.

 

Brian and Justin stepped forward, accepting the basket from Kyle as he laughed, handing it over to Gus's father as he commented,  "I guess it's time;  the cats - or rather the dogs - are out of the bag. Or about to be, anyway."  

 

Shaking his head and laughing, Brian told his son, "Go on, Sonny Boy!  Open the basket."   

 

Gus gulped in excited anticipation as he stepped forward, his little hands shaking as he asking, "For me?"

 

Kissing the top of his son's head, Brian nodded. "Yes, for you...from all your family."

 

Gus reached over and very carefully opened the lid of the basket and out popped up two puppies, one white and one black, who immediately began to lick and jump all over Gus, making the little boy laugh and cry happy tears.

 

Hugging the puppies to his chest as the basket fell to the ground, he said thank you over and over again. There was not a dry eye watching the scene in front of them as Jenny joined her brother and the pups rained kisses on her as well.  

 

Justin shook Kyle's hand. "Thank you for looking after them for us."

 

Waving a hand in dismissal, Kyle  told him, "It was no trouble.  Actually they were pretty well-behaved; they're already house trained, and they love to curl up in bed with you."

 

Laughing now, Justin watched as Gus kissed the top of the pups' heads and sat down on the ground with them. He giggled as the puppies squirmed in his grasp.  He asked in wonder, "What're their names, Daddy? And what kind are they?"

 

Brian sat down next to Gus, Jenny, and the pups, "Well, the white one is a girl named Sammy, and the black one - the boy - is named Jackson, and they're Labradoodles."  Gus frowned at the odd name as his father explained, "That means they are part Labrador Retriever and part Poodle."  

 

Gus nodded with joy. "I love those names, Daddy!" Leaning against him, he told him, "I love them thank you so much!  This is the best birthday ever!"

 

Holding his son close, Brian smiled, pleased that his son was so happy. "You are very welcome, and I can't wait to see what's ahead for us.  After all, we have a real adventure coming up with building the treehouse, don't we?

 

"I can help build it, too?" Gus asked eagerly.  

 

Brian grinned.  "You bet.  And I know your mama is very excited to help as well. She and Justin will make sure it's painted just like you want it."

 

Everyone loved playing with the pups and talking with Kyle and simply being together, just relaxing and having fun. The past year had been the hardest they had ever had to face, but the coming year was going to bring lots of new and wonderous things, so they knew there would be plenty of new life and love to come.

 

The end....for now.

 

stories/1820/images/FullSizeRender.jpg