Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

** Our betas ar the best. Thanks Ladies! **

 

Saturday, 6 p.m.

 

The door to the restroom closed loudly behind Brian. He was ready to confront Stephen once and for all, since he'd grown tired of the man's advances. Although he usually enjoyed any kind of male attention, he was vehemently against cheating, which he would be doing if he played Stephen's game, at least according to his own standards. He was there to spend the weekend with Justin and had been well paid for it; screwing another guy while he was working was not on his agenda.

 

Brian had barely opened his mouth to voice his opinion about Stephen’s behavior, however, when the man unexpectedly pinned him to the door, his lips sucking at his neck.

 

“What the fuck?!” Brian pushed him away, wiping at the slobber on his skin. “In case you haven't noticed, I'm not interested. I’m here with Justin.”

 

“Yeah, so? I came here with Vickie. Can't say I've seen her,” Stephen replied with a smirk, again approaching Brian, who stopped him, placing a firm hand on his chest.

 

“The girl who lap danced for you?” Brian asked, disgusted by the man’s actions.

 

“Pshhh. That hot piece of ass was better than Vickie,” Stephen drawled, before devouring Brian with his eyes again. “Your boyfriend doesn't have to know. I can be discreet.” He leered at Brian.

 

Brian doubted the man even knew what that word meant. The more time he spent around Stephen, the sicker it made him. “You? Discreet? Stop making me want to vomit,” Brian retorted with a cynical chuckle. He then stepped toward Stephen, a murderous glare on his face, and the man, who had been quite cheerful until then, leaned back suddenly, understanding Brian was definitely not joking anymore. “If you value your balls at all, you won’t push me. This is my last warning.” Brian’s face was very close to Stephen’s, as he ordered, his voice cold as steel, “Stay out of my way.” He enunciated the words slowly and distinctly, his eyes blazing, waiting until Stephen nodded before stepping back, intending to leave. He had one last thing to say, though, “And if you dare to use Justin again like you did last night, if you hurt him, I can assure you I won’t be held responsible for my actions. I doubt that your balls will ever function again, capisce?” he concluded angrily.

 

Stephen had the good sense not to respond as he stormed out of the restroom. Brian thought he heard him mutter something like ‘asshole’, but he didn’t care. His message had been received, loud and clear. Thank God for small mercies.

 

Shit, Brian was angry. Stephen was a dickhead, a poor excuse for a man, but Brian was quite shaken to realize that he was pissed off on Justin’s behalf. Although Brian would ordinarily have told the man to fuck off, he didn’t want to analyze why he was so furious, why he felt so protective of Justin. When he left the restroom, he walked toward the bar at the resort, slumping onto a stool and knocking back a couple shots of Beam, as he tried to calm down.

 

Lily appeared next to him and ordered a Bloody Mary, peering at him with a smile. “Good to know I'm not the only one drinking before eating,” she joked.

 

Brian smirked. He liked this girl. “I don't know about you, but I wouldn’t survive without the booze in this hetero haven,” he quipped as he stared at a straight couple making out on a red couch nearby, the man’s hand dangerously trailing down the blond woman’s body. Brian made a face and shuddered.

 

Lily laughed when she saw who Brian was watching, before raising her drink for them to clink their glasses together. “Bottoms up!” she toasted.

 

Brian glared at her mockingly. “Ha ha!” He gulped his drink and slammed the glass back on the counter in front of him, before standing up. “Speaking of bottoms, I’d better go find Justin.”

 

“He was with Dorian the last time I saw him,” Lily revealed, giggling at Brian’s bad joke. Brian leaned over and placed a chaste kiss on her cheek, making Lily blush. It seemed like Brian was the blush master this weekend.

 

“Later, darling,” Brian drawled in a jesting tone but, before he could leave, Lily grasped his arm, making him look at her questioningly.

 

She released him and stated gently, “You two are really perfect together, and that's a compliment I rarely give.”

 

“Uh, thanks…” Brian responded uncomfortably. It was the second time in the past hour that someone had congratulated him for being Justin’s partner. Brian dismissed the thought that it meant something, preferring instead to believe that - as always, under any circumstances - he was the best at what he did. Always had been and always would be. Truthfully, being a genius ad exec or a fucking slut didn’t change anything. He would always be on top. And a top. The top of the tops.

 

Okay, Kinney. Your ego is even bigger than your balls.

 

Brian crossed the lobby and stepped outside. The reception dinner was being held in another building close to the beach where the ceremony had taken place. Brian walked along the lighted path leading to that building, enjoying the gentle breeze. When he arrived, he discovered a large room, with beautifully-decorated tables, gold napkins and white roses placed elegantly on each one. At the back of the room, a band was softly playing jazz on a large stage. The huge picture windows offered breathtaking views of the beach and the lake. Even Brian had to admit that the place was truly beautiful, although a little too romantic for his taste.

 

Most of the guests were already there, enjoying the appetizers displayed on a couple of long tables on each side of the room. Brian’s gaze swept around the space, landing on Justin, looking happy and glowing, where he was seated next to Dorian,. Brian couldn’t help but smile at the scene. His pretend boyfriend was fucking beautiful.

 

Jesus Christ, Kinney. Brian chastised himself, checking his balls discreetly to make sure he hadn’t turned into a lesbian. Reassured that they hadn’t disappeared, he walked confidently toward the two men, nabbing the chair next to Justin.

 

“Hey,” he whispered into the blond’s ear, as he gently touched his knee so he wouldn’t startle him. “I hope I'm not interrupting…”

 

Justin turned and graced him with his sunniest smile. “Not at all! Dorian was keeping me company until Mom and Molly join me.” He then turned in his cousin’s direction and declared, “I guess you can go now and perform your groom duties.”

 

“Yes. I’d better go.” Dorian nodded at Brian, before squeezing Justin’s shoulder. “See you guys later. And remember, save me a dance, cuz!” Dorian smiled, before leaving with a wave.

 

Brian watched as Dorian’s form disappeared from sight. As soon as they were alone, however, Justin leaned into him, and Brian instinctively wrapped his arm around his shoulders. Justin peered up at him with a funny expression on his face. “If you see him coming to claim that dance, I’m begging you, whisk me away.” Realizing what he’d just said, he clarified hastily, as he chuckled, “Shit. That came out wrong. You know what I mean.”

 

Brian laughed. “You know what they say about that kind of slip...” he teased the blond. “And just so you know, you won’t escape at least some dancing tonight, even if I wouldn’t be opposed to you performing a different, more private kind of dance. Maybe even finish what you started last night,” Brian breathed out huskily into his ear.

 

“Well, if you play your cards right, maybe I could do something for you,” Justin unexpectedly jested, making Brian grin.

 

Justin was melting in his arms and, to everyone around them, they looked like the perfect couple. Brian wasn't sure, though, why he was teasing Justin so much. It wasn’t the first time he’d played the boyfriend role, but it had never felt so natural. Truthfully, he should be freaking out now. The prospect of a lap dance from Justin was more enticing than one of his queen-outs, however, so he simply covered Justin’s lips with his own. Justin didn’t resist, not even for a second, and Brian’s heart flipped as his tongue entered Justin’s mouth. Fuck, this boy’s taste was so addictive.

 

Of course, just when Brian was about to attack him more fervently - all observers be damned - he heard Jennifer clearing her throat loudly. Reluctantly leaning back, he peered over at his ‘mother-in-law,’ who was standing next to them with Molly. Jennifer gave him a pointed look before sitting down at the table. The look of embarrassment on Justin’s face was almost worth being interrupted. Almost.

 

“So, Brian…” Jennifer began as Brian served himself some water and took a sip. “Have you ever considered asking for someone’s hand in marriage? My son has always wanted to get married, you know,” she pried boldly, which resulted in Brian choking on his drink.

 

“Mom!” Justin intervened, preventing Brian from replying to her meddlesome inquiry.

 

“What?” Jennifer feigned ignorance at her son’s reaction. “It’s a legitimate question! I want to know if Brian shares your view of marriage.”

 

“And I want you to back off,” Justin retorted immediately, surprising Brian. “Our… relationship is none of your business and we’re not discussing it with you. Period.”

 

Jennifer sighed heavily. Brian could sense the tension in the air. Why on earth he spoke up then, he would never know, but he surprised himself when he responded, “Jennifer, the reason Justin doesn’t want to speak about it with you is because I don’t believe in marriage.” He watched Jennifer’s face fall. “That being said, I can safely say that the guy fortunate enough to marry your son would be one lucky bastard.”

 

Brian couldn’t believe he’d said those words, but he couldn’t take them back. He didn’t want to, honestly. He felt Justin grab his hand and squeeze it in silent support. He squeezed back.

 

Jennifer nodded but persisted, “What about children? Justin has always…”

 

“Mom! Seriously, stop it already or we’re leaving!” Justin threatened his mother, Brian sensing he was getting really angry with her now.

 

“Okay, Okay! Jesus, you’re so sensitive…”

 

Brian could have sworn that Justin rolled his eyes at her then. Fortunately, Lily chose that exact moment to join them, taking a seat next to Molly. “Hey, guys! I’m eating with you tonight!”

 

“Not a second too soon…” Brian whispered in Justin’s ear. “Remind me to avoid your mom at all costs once the weekend is over,” he drawled, not realizing he was implying that they would see each other again.

 

Justin noticed though and smiled broadly.

 

************************

 

A few hours later…

 

The dinner went smoothly. Justin enjoyed the easy banter with the rest of the guests, his mother thankfully having stopped bombarding him and Brian with questions about their relationship. Justin didn’t escape Dorian when his cousin asked him to dance, Brian too eagerly pushing him into his cousin’s arms. But in the end, Justin had a great time as he lost himself in the music, soon joined by Brian, who didn’t leave his side again. Justin couldn’t remember the last time he had felt so good, and he suspected that Brian’s presence had a lot to do with his current state of mind. He didn’t want to think about that too much, instead preferring to enjoy the moment while it lasted.

 

When Brian proposed that they escape, it was already past two in the morning. Justin didn’t want to go to bed yet, so he suggested a walk along the beach. Surprisingly, Brian agreed.

 

They walked in silence for a few minutes. They could still hear the music but, for the first time that day, they were alone.

 

Justin decided that he wanted to walk barefoot into the lake, so he stopped and took his shoes off. When he felt the cool sand under his feet, he declared, “God, I’ve missed that. Come on!” he urged, shuffling toward the water.

 

“Hey! Where are you going?” Brian exclaimed, as he, too, took off his shoes hastily before running after Justin.

 

“I want to feel the water,” Justin announced, reaching out. “Here, take my hand.”

 

Brian complied and interlaced his fingers with Justin’s so they could walk along the shore. He was seriously questioning his own sanity, though. Walking barefoot on a moonlit beach, even with the excuse of pleasing a client, was definitely not something with which Brian was comfortable.

 

Unaware of Brian’s conflicting emotions, Justin kept walking. He felt so deliriously happy that he couldn’t stop smiling. “What are you thinking about?” he finally inquired after long minutes of silence.

 

“I’m thinking that, with a kickass campaign, this resort could be the future destination for all the couples in love… or in lust,” Brian responded with a chuckle, choosing not to disclose how he really felt. “Seriously, it’s in a good location; the staff provide excellent service; and it’s less expensive than traveling to Cancun or some other exotic resort.”

 

“Spoken like a real tourist agent.” Justin laughed.

 

“Actually, more like an ad man who knows what sells. And believe me, sex does, so this resort could make a lot of money. Imagine the profit!” Brian replied.

 

Justin frowned. “You said something in the car… about being in advertising?”

 

“I was,” Brian confirmed, but Justin could feel the brunet tensing next to him.

 

“Hmm...” Justin couldn't understand why a man like Brian would give up that career to become an escort. It didn’t make any sense. “Why did you...” he began, but he suddenly stopped, not knowing how to interrogate Brian without appearing judgemental. In addition, the last time they had talked about Brian’s job before going to Dorian’s bachelor party, it hadn’t gone very well.

 

“You want to know how a man like me who had everything - a good job, a great loft, designer clothes - how I could sink so low as to become an escort?”

 

“That is not…” Justin attempted to clarify, but Brian stopped walking, forcing Justin to pause and turn back.

 

“I was fired because one of the employees at the firm I worked for claimed that I harassed him,” Brian revealed.

 

“Harassed him…” Justin echoed, his brow furrowing.

 

“Sexually,” Brian clarified. “And, well, it’s true that I fucked him a couple of times before he tried to blackmail me into giving him a promotion. But when I refused to promote him, my soon-to-be business partner didn’t give a shit about the truth. He couldn’t fire my ass fast enough,” Brian disclosed, anger and disgust filling his voice.

 

“Shit,” Justin succinctly replied. “Couldn’t you start your own firm? I mean, I bet you were good at your job.”

 

“I was the best.” Brian immediately responded. Justin wasn’t surprised by his answer. “I won’t lie. I fucked some of my clients. But I also gave them the best campaigns they could have wished for. I was about to make partner, for Christ’s sake. But, being accused of sexual harassment is like being branded for life for a gay man. Especially when your boss destroys your reputation with all your clients.”

 

“Fuck…”

 

“More like, I was fucked… and not in a good way,” Brian bitterly retorted.

 

“That’s why you became an escort? Because you needed money?” Justin questioned, although it still didn’t make sense.

 

“You could say that,” Brian responded with a sigh, obviously hesitating to reveal more about himself. Justin doubted he was used to confiding in anyone. He was surprised, therefore, when Brian explained, “My son… he has kidney failure. I needed to pay for his treatments and, well, let’s just say that fate was against me. But I don’t regret a thing. If it means he can live a normal life in the end, it’s worth it.”

 

Justin was speechless. He had many questions zooming through his mind, but he kept them to himself. He was already amazed that Brian had confided in him like he had. Justin wanted to comfort Brian, but he couldn’t. Brian would think he pitied him, although that wasn’t true.

 

When the blond didn’t respond, Brian admitted, “I rarely talk about it.” He hesitated, before simply saying, “So, thank you for just… listening.”

 

Justin realized that Brian must be used to people judging him for being an escort. “It’s nothing really. You love your son. How could anyone dare to judge you for that?” he responded sincerely, as if that reason alone was enough to explain everything.

 

The blond felt Brian’s staring at him, but the man remained silent. Then, Brian’s breath grazed his skin just before the brunet’s lips covered his own. Justin didn’t resist, welcoming Brian’s display of affection, his heart beating furiously in his chest. He deepened the kiss, soon cupping Brian’s cheek to taste him more thoroughly.

 

They eventually broke the kiss, and Brian rested his forehead against Justin’s while they caught their breath. After a moment, they wordlessly resumed their walk, gradually getting closer to the reception, which was still going on. The faint music became louder as they neared the building.

 

“We should get some rest,” Brian advised. Talking about his job and his son must have perturbed him.

 

Justin shook his head. “Let's sit for a while. I have a confession of my own,” he revealed as he sat on the sand, not leaving Brian any choice except to agree with his request.

 

Brian sighed, settling onto the beach behind Justin. “Come here,” he demanded softly, enveloping the blond in his arms. Justin leaned into the hug, resting his head against Brian's shoulder, grateful that his companion had instinctively understood that what he was going to share was difficult for him to disclose. Brian’s protective embrace helped Justin stay calm.

 

Justin took a deep breath, already feeling his heartbeat increase. He began, “My high school days were a nightmare. I was constantly bullied by everyone, except Daphne, for being the gay kid; she always supported me, but Chris Hobbs was another story.” The name tasted like poison on Justin's tongue. “Chris was pretty much the only guy in my class who was friendly to me. I figured he liked me but was maybe too shy to say anything.” Justin paused to let the night air fill his lungs, before resuming, “Chris was the star quarterback. Imagine the scandal if people learned that he liked me. That he was a queer. Fuck, I was so stupid,” he spat dejectedly.

 

“Was he?” Brian inquired gently, tightening his arms around Justin.

 

“Who the hell knows?” Justin huffed, sensing his throat closing up because of what he was about to share with Brian. Since it’d happened, he hadn’t talked about that night with anyone except Daphne and his shrink. “We went to prom, and we talked and joked around, like we always did. And then I… I followed him to the restroom.”

 

Justin paused, before clarifying agitatedly, “I had to know, you know? He was pretty hot, and it was worth a try now that school was ending. So, we were alone... I kissed him on the lips and he pushed me away,” Justin revealed, his voice breaking because of the onslaught of emotion inundating him at the memory. “He called me a faggot. He screamed at me: ‘Faggot, you’re a fucking faggot!’ Daphne found me in the bathroom half an hour later. I was a wreck. She consoled me and told me to forget about him.”

 

Justin felt Brian rubbing his hands down his arms, calming him and giving him strength to keep talking.

 

“When we had to leave, I went ahead to start the car. Chris was waiting for me. I didn’t see him, but Daphne did. She saw Hobbs following me into the parking garage with a baseball bat. By the time she realized what was happening and screamed my name, it was too late.” Justin heaved a deep sigh before uttering the next words. “He bashed me. Would have probably finished me off if not for Daphne interrupting him and calling for help.”

 

“Christ,” Brian cursed. Justin could feel how tense Brian was becoming as he listened to Justin’s story.

 

“I was in a coma for three days.” Justin continued. “I suffered head trauma and hyphema, which later resulted in corneal blood staining. The outcome? I’m almost blind today. God's way of mocking me. I can still see but not really.”

 

“Tell me that motherfucker was convicted for nearly killing you,” Brian demanded, the edge in his voice unmistakable.

 

“Yeah, right,” Justin mumbled derisively. “Chris Hobbs was declared guilty alright, but he was only sentenced to community service. However, the judge ordered that I be compensated financially so that I could deal with the medical bills at the time, to cover my injuries and my suffering.” Justin disdainfully spat out the last word, his voice growing bitter.

 

“Fuck...” Brian concurred with Justin’s reaction. “Fucking homophobes,” he added under his breath. “I'm surprised your mother let you out of her sight after that.”

 

“I didn't want to stay at my parents’ house. My fucking father rejected me when he heard that what happened to me was because I was gay. I was in the fucking hospital… and he said he wanted nothing to do with me anymore.” Justin divulged. “So I found that little apartment with Daphne. I hated to burden her like that - I still do - but I'd rather have Daphne see my epic failures and stumbles than my mother, even now that she has finally divorced my dad. I mean, you should have seen me at first. It took me several months to get used to my new life. Daphne stayed by my side and even met with other blind people, so she could teach me to count my steps, to keep my hands outstretched, how to fall in case it was necessary. She's my rock. I don’t know what would have happened to me if not for her.”

 

“Is there anything that can be done? For your eyes, I mean…” Brian inquired.

 

“If I sell all my other organs, sure.” Justin snorted. “I mean, I’ve heard about experiments to remove the accumulation of red blood within the anterior chamber of my eyes. I don’t have the money or the connections to participate in a trial right now, though. But if I have anything to say about it, I can assure you… I will have my sight back one day.”

 

“You’re a fighter; you’ll make it.” Brian professed wholeheartedly, making Justin’s heart miss a beat.

 

They stayed silent after that, just enjoying the quiet, the sensation of each other’s bodies pressed together. After a while, they started to talk about unimportant things, and before they realized it, it was dawn. The sun was about to rise above the lake.

 

“Describe it to me,” Justin demanded when Brian informed him that the darkness of the night was about to be replaced by a new day.

 

“The sun is appearing on the horizon. The sky is changing colors now. It’s cloudless, except for a few small ones lingering in the air. The sunshine is reflecting on them, tinging them pink,” Brian spoke in Justin’s ear. Justin smiled, imagining this particular dawn in his mind. “If you concentrate enough, you can see the slow rise of the sun. Some birds are flying over the lake, too.”

 

“It must be beautiful.” Justin replied with a smile.

 

“It is,” Brian confirmed quietly. Justin suspected his companion wasn’t the type of man who had ever watched the sun rise with another man. He was grateful, therefore, that Brian was being so kind to him. In fact, he felt a surge of love, so he turned in Brian’s arms and raised his hand to caress his lips. He then leaned into him to taste them.

 

He heard a moan escape Brian as the brunet tightened his arms around him.

 

They kissed for what felt like hours, unhurriedly. It wasn’t even sexual, not really. Justin would have been lying if he said he didn’t want to have sex with Brian - because, really, he wanted it badly - but this unexpected moment wasn’t about that. Justin felt like Brian’s arms, his lips, but most of all, his presence, was helping him to move on, after recalling the darkest days of his life. For the first time since his attack, he felt like his life wasn’t as bad and scary as the day before.

 

Justin knew this escape wouldn’t last. As soon as both of them returned to their daily routines, things would inevitably change again. But for now, he refused to think about it.

 

“Come on, you need to rest,” Brian breathed out as he broke their kiss.

 

Justin allowed him to take him back to their room. They undressed and lay down, exhaustion washing over them.

 

Brian fell asleep before Justin, with the blond’s head on his naked chest.

 

Shortly thereafter, Justin joined him in slumber, listening to the man’s heartbeat.