Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

* Special thanks to our betas, as always *

 

 

Friday night, August 30th, Bloom Gallery…

 

Justin bit down on his thumbnail as he walked around with Lindsay, watching the guests admire the art. Brian was somewhere with Michael, Ted, and Emmett. His mom had begun raving about her son’s sketches as soon as she had walked through the door, like any loving mother would do. Debbie had immediately waylaid Jennifer, urging her to examine some of Justin’s drafts, which were displayed in another area along with other artists’ works.

 

“They all love your drawings,” Lindsay commented, her gaze sweeping around the space.

 

Justin smiled at her compliment. “I didn’t know there would be so many people. Who are they?” he asked, observing the crowd in the gallery.

 

Lindsay snatched a glass of champagne from a passing waiter, explaining, “Sydney has a lot of connections. And well, Brian gave me a few tips about advertising this kind of event.”

 

As Justin was about to respond, he heard a vaguely familiar voice calling out, “Lindsay?”

 

Turning around, Lindsay broke into a huge grin when she noticed the person behind her. “Adrienne! You made it!” she exclaimed happily as she bent over to kiss her friend hello.

 

“I couldn’t miss this boy’s second show,” Adrienne intoned jestingly, her gaze focusing on Justin and her lips curling upward.

 

“It’s a pleasure to see you again,” Justin professed as he peered down at Lindsay’s friend with a smile. He was genuinely happy to see her.

 

Looking at the drawings adorning the walls, Adrienne praised, “You’ve done well, young man.” She then stared straight into Justin’s blue eyes and shared a meaningful look with the artist, as she added, “And I’m not only talking about the drawings, which, let me tell you, are really something.”

 

“Thanks,” Justin said earnestly. “If not for you, my life wouldn’t be like this today.” And it was true. If Justin hadn’t crossed Adrienne’s path all those months ago, he wouldn’t have exhibited his works, would never have met Brian, and probably wouldn’t ever have gotten his sight back. He owed her, big time.

 

“You’ve made it possible.” Adrienne countered with a gleam in her eyes, before regarding a man who was standing in front of one of Justin’s sketches.

 

Following her gaze, Justin noticed the man Adrienne was looking at. The guy wasn’t sporting a disapproving expression per se, but he didn’t seem very inspired by what he was looking at, either. “That man looks like he doesn’t like my stuff,” Justin volunteered.

 

“Hmm,” Adrienne’s brow furrowed and she proposed, “Why don’t we ask him what he thinks?”

 

“What? No,” Justin shook his head. “No need to bother him.”

 

“I’m in the mood for a chat, so you’d better help me get over there,” Adrienne demanded challengingly.

 

“Okay,” Justin uncertainly responded, surmising he was being manipulated since Adrienne could maneuver her wheelchair just fine, but nevertheless moving behind her and guiding her to the man, who hadn’t moved from his spot. He glared at Lindsay when she gave him a devilish grin, before walking away.

 

“So, what’s the verdict?” Adrienne addressed the man as they arrived at his side. The guy was an average looking man in his forties, way too skinny to be really attractive, although his casual, yet distinguished style worked well.

 

At first, the man didn’t react to Adrienne’s words, not even to acknowledge her and Justin’s presence. He kept staring at the drawing of Brian and Gus as if he weren’t seeing it at all. Justin began to feel nervous. There was something about this guy that made him uneasy.

 

“Are you going to answer my question or not? No need to intimidate the kid. He doesn’t know who you are.” Adrienne berated the man.

 

Justin frowned.

 

“You don’t need to pressure me. I’m a grown-up, not a child.” the man responded disapprovingly.

 

“You’re a Grinch; that’s what you are,” Adrienne countered, before urging, “Come on, you already know what you’re going to say. You wouldn’t have stayed there for more than ten seconds otherwise.”

 

The man didn’t answer, and Justin felt like he was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. He didn’t have a clue what was actually happening right now.

 

The man finally detached his gaze from the sketch to look at Justin. With an inclination of his head toward the painting, he asked, “Why did you draw this?”

 

“Excuse me?” Justin frowned, not understanding what that man was getting at.

 

“You don’t understand a simple question?” the man asked in a deadly serious tone.

 

“I…” Justin opened his mouth, and closed it. “I’m not sure that’s any of your business.”

 

“I told you you needed to improve your social skills, Ferdinand.” Adrienne interjected, visibly amused by the exchange. “Being polite and friendly works wonders, you know?”

 

The man rolled his eyes, although his gaze softened when he looked at Adrienne. “You’re the first to tell someone to ‘bugger off’ when you’re in a bad mood.”

 

“Touché,” Adrienne replied fondly as the man placed his hand on her own.

 

Justin gazed back and forth between them, and for a brief instant, he could have sworn he was looking at two long-time lovers.

 

As if he had guessed Justin’s curiosity, the man finally introduced himself. “I’m Professor Ferdinand Gilbert. I teach with Adrienne at the Institute of Fine Arts, and I’m here tonight to decide whether you should apply.”

 

“He always likes to appear more omniscient than he really is,” Adrienne drawled.

 

“I do not,” Ferdinand refuted.

 

Adrienne barked out a laugh. Noticing Justin’s puzzled look, she revealed, “There is one student opening available for the upcoming academic year. I didn’t tell you I was a professor at PIFA the last time we met, did I? Well, you know it now. Since I’m not a member of the admissions committee, but Ferdinand is, I need his approval for you to apply there.”

 

“I…” Justin couldn’t believe it. “PIFA? You… I could apply to the Institute?”

 

Adrienne nodded slightly. “Lindsay told me you would have gone there if not for what happened to you. So, when Ferdinand informed me that a student had decided not to accept their place in the new intake, I took the liberty of putting forward your name.”

 

“And she was right to do so,” Ferdinand intervened. “Once the admissions are over, we are supposed to go through the current wait list. This rule allows for only one exception. If a student was admitted previously but couldn’t attend the school for a legitimate reason, he can present his case to a committee, who decide whether or not to accept him. So Justin, I need you to work on a portfolio and to defend your application during an interview next week. Can you do that?”

 

“I… Sure!” Justin exclaimed, barely realizing what was happening. He’d always dreamed of going to PIFA and had been accepted before. After the bashing, he’d never thought, however, that he’d have another chance to study there.

 

“Good. The meeting will be next Thursday at 9 a.m. sharp,” Ferdinand informed Justin. “If you’re admitted, classes will begin the following Monday.”

 

“That won’t be a problem,” Justin immediately asserted.

 

“What won’t be a problem?” Brian’s voice reached Justin’s ears, just as the brunet materialized next to him. Extending his hand, Brian shook Ferdinand’s and nodded at Adrienne. “I’m Brian Kinney, Justin’s partner,” he introduced himself to the professor, having already met Adrienne with Lindsay a couple of times. Then, placing his hand at the small of Justin’s back, he raised his eyebrows, waiting for his lover to respond his question.

 

“I have an interview at PIFA next Thursday,” Justin revealed with a broad smile.

 

Brian’s face remained impassive, but he pointed at the sketch they were standing in front of, proclaiming, “I think that right there is proof enough that they should be the ones begging you to join their school, not the other way around.” He gave Ferdinand a false smile before announcing, “Now, if you’ll excuse us, we need to celebrate. Shall we?” he extended his hand toward Justin in invitation.

 

Justin bit his lip, trying hard to conceal the smirk that threatened to appear on his face. “It was really great seeing you again Adrienne,” he vowed as he peered at the woman who had changed the course of his life, not once now, but twice.

 

“The pleasure was mine, Justin. Really. I look forward to seeing you soon in my class,” she replied mischievously.

 

Justin impulsively bent over to hug her. Realizing what he had done, he suddenly pulled back, but when he saw the kind expression on her face, he relaxed enough to say, “I… Thank you,” He then glanced at Ferdinand once more, before following Brian out of the gallery.

 

************************

 

One hour later, the loft…

 

“Hmm…” Brian groaned as Justin sucked his shaft fiercely. He threw back his head as his lover’s tongue did something utterly fantastic, making his cock throb in the warm mouth. Fuck, it was so warm and hot. Brian would beg shamelessly for Justin’s blowjobs if he had to go even a day without them.

 

He didn’t realize at first that Justin’s lubed fingers were now rubbing the skin just behind his balls, stimulating his prostate from the outside. He didn’t realize it, because he was in such a state of bliss that he wasn’t paying attention. And, when Justin’s fingers touched his hole, he merely moaned shamelessly and pushed against them, asking for more.

 

Justin had never topped Brian. He’d never tried to since that time after his first surgery. Brian wasn’t sure why exactly, but it seemed that the prospect of being admitted to one of the best art schools in the country had Justin feeling quite adventurous, and for once, Brian wouldn’t stop him. In fact, he’d waited for some time for his lover to make his move, and he now craved the feeling of Justin’s cock inside him. Just the thought aroused him, truthfully. He hadn’t been fucked since he’d let John top him, nearly a year ago, and he knew this experience would be a million times more intense than any previous one.

 

“You want me in here?” Justin huskily whispered in his ear, making Brian smirk.

 

“You want me to beg?” he rasped out as Justin pressed a little more firmly, just outside his hole. Brian opened his mouth, the pleasure he was feeling reflected on his face. He’d never told anyone, but this was one of the most erogenous zones on his body. He could feel intense waves of heat every time Justin’s fingers pushed against his skin. At this rate, he was bound to start begging, especially if Justin kept lapping at his dick.

 

“You seem almost desperate,” Justin observed impishly, moving up the brunet’s body to cover his lips and pushing his tongue inside his mouth. Brian could taste his own scent, and it drove him wild.

 

“Just put your cock inside me. I want it,” Brian ordered, pleased to feel Justin’s dick throb against his stomach, merely from the tone of his voice.

 

“I’m not sure…” Justin hesitated, clearly nervous about topping a man for the first time.

 

Since Brian was desperate for him, he decided to take charge. He grabbed a condom and ripped it open with his teeth, immediately unrolling it on Justin’s cock. Justin just stared at him, but when Brian cursed, “For fuck’s sake, Justin, move…” he recovered enough to realize that he still needed to prepare Brian.

 

He pushed a lubed finger inside the brunet, marveling at how tight it felt. “Y-yeah. Like that. Just like… that,” Brian breathed out as he closed his eyes, gasping, “More. Give me… more.”

 

Something snapped inside Justin then. He didn’t know if it was Brian’s obvious desire for him, or the knowledge he would be inside a man for the first time of his life, but his brain suddenly shut down. He bent over, lowering his head to Brian’s hole and started licking him earnestly. He didn’t think about what he was doing. He just licked and sucked the stretched skin, even entering Brian with his tongue as much as he could, while fucking Brian with first one finger, then two. He was totally gone.

 

“Justin!” Brian was totally gone too. He suddenly grabbed Justin’s arm, forcing him to stop. But, although Justin listened, it was only to straighten up and attack Brian’s lips again, before positioning the head of his cock at his lover’s entrance. Brian grabbed his hand, linking their fingers together and guiding their joined hands to Justin’s dick.

 

Their gazes locked. As Justin pushed inside Brian for the first time, he marveled at the feeling of their entwined hands following the progression of his shaft, until they had no other choice but to break that connection. As the blond pushed inside fully, he was certain it was the most hot and erotic thing he had ever done.

 

“You feel good,” Brian grunted, trying to make Justin move faster. He was crazy with desire now and wanted Justin to take him hard. Brian kept squirming and pushing against Justin, licking and biting as much skin as he could. “I want it. Do it. Do it!”

 

Justin cried out, starting to pull out and push back in, wondering if he could hold on for even a minute longer. His cock was being milked by the most wonderful heat and tightness he had ever known, and Brian was pushing against him, thrust for thrust. It was hard; it was dirty; and, fuck, he was inside Brian.

 

“Right there... Yes!” Brian exclaimed as Justin changed his angle, his balls about to explode if he didn’t slow down. But how on earth could he stop thrusting when Brian’s face, his grunts, his groans, made his body feel so good?

 

“Brian, I can’t…” he tried to warn his lover, but he was lost. It was too intense. He couldn’t stop his cock from coming and going in his lover’s welcoming heat, and Brian was begging, literally begging, for him to keep going. The brunet’s cock was so hard against Justin’s stomach, its wet tip indicating he, too, would soon reach his climax.

 

“Justin, jerk me off…” Brian demanded breathlessly, “I’m gonna come…”

 

Justin let out a cry as he responded to his lover’s request, encircling the brunet’s shaft with his fingers, the skin so tight as he moved his hand up and down. When he felt himself falling over the edge, he squeezed with just enough pressure to bring his lover nearer to his release.

 

“God!” he shouted as he felt his own orgasm rip through him, thrusting erratically into his lover a few more times. The feel of Brian’s warm come as he exploded between his fingers while crying out in bliss intensified his already all-consuming arousal. He shot deep inside Brian, thinking nothing had ever felt so good, except for his lover coming inside him.

 

************************

 

Wednesday, September 4th, Allegheny Hospital…

 

Brian walked through the corridors, searching for the correct room. He would have much preferred to spend his day catching up with Justin, since they’d both been working non-stop for the past four days, but Dr. Harris had requested that he participate in a discussion group to prepare for Gus’s surgery. Truthfully, Brian had no desire to talk about donating a kidney, but unfortunately, this meeting - actually, it would be four meetings - was mandatory, and part of the pre-op procedure. Gus was too little, though, so he was exempted from joining him. Brian was so jealous of his son right now.

 

He finally stopped in front of the room where he was supposed to be. The door was open, only three others present so far. A few chairs had been placed in circle, with a couple of tables against the wall. Brian spotted the coffee maker, debating briefly before entering and pouring himself a cup.

 

Of course, the coffee tasted like horse piss. Brian grimaced and grabbed two sugar packets, which he hastily added.

 

“Here, save yourself the trouble of dying on me and drink this instead,” a grey-haired man offered, handing him another cup, poured from a carafe he was holding. “This comes from my personal coffee maker. The hospital administration insists on treating us to this horrible beverage at every meeting, and I toss it down the drain every single time. Public bureaucracy… you know how it is...”

 

Brian eyed the man for a few seconds, before accepting the cup. He tentatively tasted the hot beverage, pleasantly surprised when he discovered it was alright. “Thanks,” he acknowledged with a nod, before introducing himself, “Brian Kinney.”

 

“I’m Richard. I’m moderating this meeting.” Richard shook Brian’s hand after having placed the carafe of freshly brewed coffee on the table. “Nice to meet you.” The man smiled at Brian genuinely, before going to greet the other participants.

 

Brian frowned. His counselor looked almost normal, although he could have been George Clooney’s brother. When Dr. Harris had called him earlier in the week to tell him she had forgotten to mention these meetings, asking him to attend, the brunet had imagined the counselor to be a homely, middle-aged woman in a long, light blue skirt, a white collared shirt, brown loafers, and holding a Bible. He’d been wrong for the most part. Richard was a handsome man in his early fifties, in a pair of faded blue jeans rather than a skirt, but with a white shirt and black loafers. Brian just had to figure out if he was doing this as a part of his duty to the Lord. For what other reason would someone volunteer to be a counselor?

 

When Richard requested that all the participants take a seat, Brian yawned but did as he was told. He really couldn’t wait for this torture to be over.

 

“Hi, everyone, I’m Richard and I will be your counselor for these sessions,” Richard introduced himself to the group.

 

Brian nodded, while a woman and three other men all parroted, just like in a comic skit, “Hi Richard,” earning a chuckle from Brian.

 

Richard stared at him with his eyebrows raised, so Brian bit down on his lip - to stop himself from outright grinning - before indicating with a wave of his hand that he was ready to proceed.  

 

“I’d like you all to introduce yourselves, explain why you’re here, and tell us how it has affected your personal life,” Richard announced, before disclosing, “I myself have been in the same situation you’re in now, since I received a kidney from my brother, Scott, seventeen months ago.” The man paused, waiting for the group to assimilate the information. When he was satisfied that everyone understood his point, he resumed, “So, don’t be afraid to share all your questions. We’re not here to judge. We’re here to help each other through the process of a life-altering operation, either to donate or to receive a kidney.”

 

Brian looked at the four other attendees, surmising two of them were here with the individuals who would receive their kidneys.

 

As he returned his attention to Richard, the counselor confirmed his deduction, “I understand your son is too young to attend, Brian, but for Jeff and Sarah, and Julian and Oliver, this is especially relevant, allowing them to share whatever they want before the surgery actually happens.”

 

Brian frowned, trying to determine if he was supposed to respond to Richard’s declaration or not. Apparently not.

 

“So, Brian… can you tell us why you’re here?”

 

“Same as everyone else…” Brian retorted. No way was he going to make it easy for Richard, even though the man seemed like a good guy who just wanted to help. But Brian had always hated talking. Nothing new here.

 

“We’re not psychic. You need to be more specific.” Richard countered, although Brian was sure the man wanted to smile.

 

Brian huffed. “I’m giving a kidney to my son.” Noticing the look on the woman’s face - of course she would look at him like that, she was a woman, and women loved that kind of feel-good, family-oriented story - the brunet specified, “He’s two years old.”

 

“That’s wonderful of you to do that,” the woman gushed, as expected.

 

“No.” Brian denied, rolling his eyes. It was his son. There was nothing wonderful about giving him his best chance to live.

 

“Sarah has a point, Brian. Whether you believe it or not, this is not that easy a decision to make,” Richard interjected.

 

“What? You’re telling me a parent could let his child die? You know it’s bullshit. No normal parent would do that. So, there is nothing wonderful about donating a kidney to Gus. It’s not even a choice to begin with. He needs my kidney? He will have my kidney. Period.” Brian stated with conviction.

 

Richard lips turned upward. “You’re right. But I bet it’s not that simple. Your daily routine must have been impacted.”

 

Brian barked out a laugh. If this man knew how his life had turned to shit at the time of Gus’s diagnosis, he wouldn’t even dare to ask that question. “Yeah. I was an adman, one of the best. And then, I wasn’t… but doctors don’t tell you how much it costs to have a sick son, so you have to make choices you might not otherwise make, and you live with them. And I don’t regret anything. If Gus can have a life at all, it’s more than enough for me. All the rest is bullshit. Now if you’ll excuse me, I really need to get out of here.” Brian declared, standing up. He had no idea why he had lashed out like he had, but again, talking about himself had always put him on edge.

 

He didn’t wait for Richard’s reaction before fleeing from the room. Unfortunately, the man called his name as he was about to complete his escape. Brian considered just keeping walking, but in the end, he halted in the middle of the corridor and turned around, shouting, “What?”

 

“You’ve just told us you were an adman. Is that true?” Richard inquired as he reached Brian.

 

“I don’t usually lie,” Brian retorted, annoyed.

 

“Well, I could use your help, then. If you’ll agree to meet and have a cup of coffee somewhere,” Richard requested.

 

“Why would I do that?” Brian asked in confusion.

 

“Because you obviously don’t need group sessions to prepare for your son’s surgery. You could use a shrink, though…” Richard responded, a chuckle escaping when he saw the look of horror on Brian’s face.

 

“For your sake, I’m going to pretend you didn’t say that,” Brian groaned.

 

“As you wish...” Richard smiled briefly, before proposing, “Listen, if you’ll agree to have a cup of coffee with me, I’ll consider releasing you from attending these otherwise obligatory meetings.”

 

Why would you do that?” Brian questioned again, bewildered that Richard would offer him a way out.

 

“Because I think you don’t need the meetings,” Richard reiterated resolutely. “You’re obviously totally fine with helping your son, while this group’s main goal is to identify potential risky situations within a family and to help those who want my assistance. You don’t need to be here. But I could use your expertise about something. So, now it’s up to you.”

 

Brian frowned. Either his gaydar was totally failing him, or he really did need to see a shrink. He was sure this man was as straight as they came, so what did he want from him and why was he being so enigmatic about it?

 

And yet, the prospect of being released from this torture was really too good to pass up, so he relented, “Meet me at the Starbucks downtown on Liberty Avenue tomorrow at nine a.m. No way are we going to drink one more cup of coffee here. Maybe you like to play the good Samaritan by volunteering in a hospital, but I can assure you that the less time I spend in this place, the better.”

 

“I will meet you there,” Richard agreed.

 

Brian gave him a small nod before turning around.

 

Observing the brunet walking away, Richard Aston, CEO of Aston Industries, was eager to discover if Brian Kinney would live up to his reputation. He smiled, satisfied, before returning to his group session.