Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

** Thanks to our wonderful betas, Karynn, Gloria and Alison. A special though to Karynn who has taken the time to help us with everything she has to face right now. We love you! **

 

 

A few days later, Saturday…

 

“Okay! That’s it!”

 

Justin was startled from his spot on the sofa as Daphne stormed into the living room. He had been trying to avoid her as much as possible for the past couple of weeks, mainly because he felt way too depressed to deal with her intrusive concern but, of course, his best friend had never let his bullshit stop her before. She wasn’t going to start leaving him alone today.

 

“Stop moping around! Get up!” Daphne ordered, pulling him up and pushing him toward his room, or so Justin thought until his bare feet hit the cold bathroom tile. She forced him to shrug his cardigan off, before demanding, “Take a shower. We’re going out.”

 

“Do I stink or something?” Justin questioned, sniffing at his armpit and gagging. “Where are we going?” he asked, as he bent over to turn on the water.

 

“It’s a surprise,” Daphne responded.

 

Justin frowned, but before he could protest, Daphne slammed the bathroom door shut behind her. Letting out a heavy sigh, he undressed and stepped into the shower cubicle.

 

Justin stayed under the spray, the hot water cascading down his back as he rested his forehead against the wall. He knew he needed to get a grip and climb out of his depression, but ever since Brian’s rejection, Justin couldn’t help but feel down, empty.

 

He missed Brian so much.

 

Justin therefore doubted that Daphne’s surprise would cheer him up, not if it didn’t involve going back in time and fixing the damage he had caused. Fuck, he was such an idiot.

 

Turning off the shower, he carefully stepped out, grabbing a towel to dry himself, before putting it around his hips and exiting in direction of his room. In his bedroom, he picked the first clothes he found, without bothering to check if he would look good in them or not. Truthfully, he didn’t care.

 

Daphne was waiting for him in the living room when he returned. She seemed very pleased to take Justin out. As they locked the door behind them, she confessed to him that she was happy to go out with her best friend and that she had missed their escapades, just the two of them. Justin felt guilty about that. If he were honest with himself, he’d have to admit that he, too, was pleased to share a special moment with his best friend, as well as curious to find out about the big surprise.

 

Once they were seated into Daphne’s VW Beetle, the brunette exclaimed, “You’re going to love this!”

 

“If you say so…” Justin shrugged, straightening his sunglasses on his nose. He wasn’t convinced that anything Daphne had arranged would be enough to lift his spirits, but he also didn’t want to spoil her excitement, so he refrained from commenting any further.

 

After driving in silence for a long while, however, Justin finally couldn’t resist and inquired about their destination.

 

“You’ll find out soon enough. This is going to lift your mood for sure,” Daphne exclaimed.

 

“I doubt it, but I’ll humor you.” He sighed, leaning his head against the side window.

 

A few minutes later, Daphne announced, “We’re here.”

 

She killed the ignition before stepping out of the car. Navigating around the vehicle, she helped Justin out, too, hooking their arms together to lead her friend toward their destination.

 

“We are at a service dogs’ demonstration sponsored by the Guiding Dogs Center of Pittsburgh.” Daphne revealed cheerfully.

 

Justin gasped, turning to her. “What are we doing here? We filled out a service dog request months ago... You know they’re too expensive for me to get one without government assistance.”

 

“You don’t have to get one. I saw an announcement in the Pittsburgh Gazette informing people they could come today and meet the dogs, see if they’d like one, stuff like that. I know you love dogs. What harm can it do to walk around and see what you think?”

 

Justin considered Daphne’s proposal. “Fine,” he conceded before warning, a stubborn look settling over his face, “but we’re not getting a dog.”

 

“Great!” Daphne enthused, evidently not put off by his surly response, as she guided him towards the entrance of the former train station. They walked inside the building, which had been renovated a decade earlier to accommodate different animal welfare organizations, including the Guiding Dogs Center. Moving forward, they advanced through what seemed to be a long corridor, Daphne apparently following the signs to reach the correct room.

 

Justin let Daphne guide him to a wooden bench. He could hear several people interacting nearby, indicating that the room was already filled with other participants.

 

“The guy standing in front of us is handsome,” Daphne whispered in his ear. “I think he is the one who will do the demonstration. His dog is a cutie.”

 

Justin didn’t have any time to respond before he heard a strong voice resonate throughout the room. “Hello, everyone! And welcome to the Guiding Dogs Center of Pittsburgh! My name is Brandon and I am the lucky guy leading this demonstration. Later today, the center’s volunteers are going to introduce you to a few of our dogs. But for now, my Border Collie, Jazzy, will be my assistant,” he declared, referring to a dog. “For the demo to be a success, Jazzy will need an assistant of her own. Any volunteers?”

 

Daphne pinched Justin’s side. “Go on! She is adorable!”

 

“No way!” Justin refused, shaking his head.

 

Out of the blue, he suddenly felt something wet on his hand. He jumped, yelling loudly - not his proudest moment for sure - before realizing that Daphne was giggling hysterically at his side. He huffed at her as he realized ‘Jazzy’ had been the one to make him squeal, and he leaned down, trying to discern the dog, which was now licking his hand profusely.

 

“Oh, Jazzy! You want him to be our assistant?” Brandon asked with a laugh as he walked over to Justin.

 

Justin’s lips turned upward when the dog pulled gently on the sleeve of his shirt.

 

“Would you mind joining us?” Brandon addressed Justin, “It seems that Jazzy wants you to help us.”

 

“Shouldn’t the dog be less excited and playful?” Justin asked with a broad smile as he began to scratch Jazzy’s head, the Border Collie soon insistently pushing his hand toward her ear.

 

“Jazzy is still young, just eighteen months old. And not the most disciplined dog I’m training. But she has chosen you as her assistant, so you can’t really refuse her demand, now can you?” Brandon questioned playfully.

 

“Yeah. Okay,” Justin laughed when he felt the dog placing its paws on his knees to lick his cheek. He pushed her away gently before introducing himself, “I’m Justin, by the way.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Justin,” Brandon responded, and Justin could have sworn the man was openly cruising him. As soon as the thought formed in his mind, however, Brandon suggested in a strictly professional tone, “If you take Jazzy’s harness, she’ll guide you through the first part of the program.”

 

The dog’s muzzle touched his hand again, allowing him to lean forward and find the harness easily. He took hold of the handle before petting the dog’s back.

 

“Is this allowed?” Justin questioned, not knowing if showing her his gratitude was the right thing to do.

 

“Don’t spoil her. She’s a sucker for attention,” Brandon replied as Justin stood up and started to follow the dog for the first part of the demonstration.

 

Within a couple of minutes, Justin relaxed, his smile widening a little more as they successfully avoided the obstacles that had been placed around the room - a table, several chairs, a couch, and other items. Brandon gave direct orders to Jazzy at first, but soon Justin took over. With every step, his confidence was boosted.

 

“Okay. That’s great, Justin,” Brandon praised. “Now, we’re going out to the training field. Jazzy will guide you. The door leading outside is right in front of you. Everyone? Please, follow Justin.”

 

Justin waited for Jazzy to move so as to follow her through the door and along an outdoor path. He walked for a couple of minutes before arriving at the field dedicated to training the dogs.

 

“Careful!” Brandon cautioned as Justin, becoming a little too confident, almost stepped on a ball. Before he could stumble and fall, however, Jazzy stopped and blocked him. “Good girl, Jazzy!” Brandon shouted at the dog’s quick action.

 

Justin could feel his heart thumping.

 

“Now, the last demo for today.” Brandon informed the group. He whistled at Jazzy, the dog leading Justin to a specific spot in response. “Justin, you’re going to let Jazzy guide you through the course in front of you. Use the order ‘walk’ for this one. She will understand. She is eager to please you for some reason.”

 

“Okay,” Justin agreed. “Here we go. Jazzy…” he intoned loudly, “walk.”

 

Jazzy complied, guiding Justin around the obstacles, poles having been placed at various points to provide a more difficult environment to navigate. The dog suddenly pulled away, forcing Justin to halt abruptly just as he was about to walk into one of the poles, only his arm brushing against it. Stopping and whining, the Border Collie rubbed her head against his knee in apology for failing to redirect him in time.

 

“It’s okay, Jazzy. You did well.” Justin crouched down to pet her. “I’d probably have killed myself ten different ways if you weren’t here.”

 

The dog whined some more, trying to lick his face.

 

“Hey, none of that!” Justin laughed, evading the dog’s tongue.

 

“You did well, Jazzy!” Brandon praised. “The demonstration is over. Thank you Justin for being such a willing participant today,” the man teased as several people applauded, even though Justin wanted to roll his eyes at the innuendo. He was sure Brandon was grinning now. “Okay. Jazzy, lead Justin back to his friend,” Brandon eventually commanded. Justin suspected he was using a specific signal to make the dog obey.

 

To his surprise, Jazzy refused to leave his side once she had completed her task.

 

“I think she’s in love with you,” Daphne commented with a giggle.

 

“She is not the only one in love,” Justin confessed, patting Jazzy’s head. “Thank you for bringing me here, Daph.”

 

“Anytime,” Daphne replied, grabbing Justin’s hand and squeezing it briefly.

 

Brandon’s voice echoed across the training field. “Okay, everyone! The next demonstration will occur in a couple of hours. In the meantime, Aileen, Sandra, and Patty are going to show you more of our facility and introduce you to some of our other dogs. I’ll be available to answer your questions.”

 

Justin heard people moving around him and he frowned, wondering when Brandon was going to come retrieve Jazzy.

 

“What is Jazzy’s owner doing?” he inquired after a few minutes. Daphne was caressing the dog, speaking to her in a high-pitched, childish voice, but she stopped to answer Justin’s question.

 

“He is with an old dude. He seems bored,” Daphne reported, before adding with a sigh, “Fuck, this Brandon guy is really hot, Justin.”

 

“He has a nice voice,” Justin agreed with a laugh. “Come on, we’re not going to stay here all day. Where is he?”

 

Understanding Justin wanted to join Brandon, Daphne led her friend to the man, who was standing only a short distance away.

 

“Uh, sir?” Justin asked uncertainly.

 

“It’s Brandon,” the man answered quickly before addressing someone else, probably the old guy Daphne had mentioned.

 

Justin waited for their exchange to end and, when he was certain that they were alone, he offered, “Okay, Brandon... Here’s your dog. It was a real pleasure to be around her.” He smiled, crouching to hug Jazzy. “Thank you, girl.”

 

“That’s it?” Brandon questioned, obviously not pleased with Justin’s decision to leave so quickly. “I thought you’d be interested in getting…” he paused, his voice sounding almost flirtatious again, “...a service dog.”

 

“We don’t have the money to afford a dog,” Daphne interjected, preventing Justin from answering. “I guess I shouldn’t have brought Justin here, but I know how much he loves dogs.”

 

“I had a good time,” Justin agreed, beaming at his friend before bending to give the dog one last hug. “And it was an honor to meet you, Jazzy.”

 

As he stood up, ready to leave, Brandon caught his elbow. “Not so fast…” Addressing Daphne, he asked, “Miss, would you mind if I talked to your friend alone?”

 

Justin froze at the sudden heat of Brandon’s fingers on his arm. Brandon probably sensed his discomfort and dropped his hand, waiting for Daphne’s answer.

 

“I’m going to see the other dogs,” Daphne volunteered. “I will be right back. Okay, Justin?”

 

“Yeah. Whatever,” Justin waved at her. He wasn’t sure what was really happening here, but he had a feeling Brandon didn’t want to talk solely about Jazzy.

 

“I’ve rarely seen Jazzy obey a stranger like that, you know?” Brandon disclosed. “It’s a shame you can’t afford a dog like her.”

 

“I told you that I can’t. I don’t have… 5,000 dollars,” Justin stated dejectedly.

 

“5,300 dollars,” Brandon specified. “Maybe you could pay in installments.”

 

“Why would you allow that?” the blond asked in surprise.

 

“Well, I’m sure you could use the dog’s help,” Brandon insisted, moving to stand next to Justin. Justin felt the man’s fingers brushing against his arm again. “Besides, I wouldn’t say no to a special kind of thanks.”

 

“Right…” Justin answered, before realizing what Brandon had just said. “Sorry, what?” He leaned back, not sure he had heard the man correctly.

 

Brandon laughed at Justin’s reaction before declaring, “You’re a very attractive young man.”

 

“You’re gay?” Justin inquired, flabbergasted by Brandon’s boldness.

 

“I hope so,” Brandon quipped, as he moved closer to Justin to whisper huskily in his ear, “or you wouldn’t be able to thank me properly.”

 

Justin wasn’t sure how he felt about Brandon hitting on him, truthfully. Nobody had ever approached him so boldly before. It was unexpected, especially in a place like a guide dog center; yet, Justin would be lying if he said he wasn’t flattered by the man’s attention. He could feel the man’s body heat, lending this moment an intimacy Justin hadn’t felt with any other man, except for Brian.

 

Fuck. Brian.

 

Justin hastily stepped back. Brandon ignored his sudden withdrawal, questioning in a low voice, “Do you believe me now when I say I want to know you?”

 

“I’d better go find Daphne,” Justin avoided answering his question.  

 

“You’re sure?” Brandon insisted, not letting Justin move away.

 

“I’m perfectly sure. But thanks for offering,” Justin confirmed, wanting to escape the man’s advances.

 

“Your loss.” Brandon countered.

 

Five minutes later, Justin and Daphne left the center. The blond didn’t utter a word during the ride home. Although Brandon hitting on him had surprised him and made him even more aware that Brian was the only man he wanted to be with, he’d had a great time with Jazzy, and he was grateful that Daphne had insisted he accompanied her today. When she turned off the car in front of their apartment building, he impulsively grabbed her hand, murmuring a heartfelt thank you.

 

He might not be able to afford a dog, but he had the best friend in the world.

 

************************

 

Saturday evening, Philadelphia…

 

Brian took a sip of his champagne as he stared at his client talking into the microphone on the ballroom stage. Holding the medical award he had just received a few minutes earlier, the ophthalmologist enthusiastically droned on and on about the new technique he and his staff had been developing for the past couple of years to treat specific diseases and post-traumatic eye disorders. Brian, who had been half listening to the doctor’s speech until that moment, found himself suddenly enthralled by his client, even though he couldn’t understand half the medical jargon the man was spouting.

 

Dr. John Lewis had been Brian’s client for over a year, and the two men appreciated and respected each other. That’s why Brian ended up in the man’s bed every single time John booked him, the brunet becoming five hundred dollars richer in the morning. The doctor wasn’t really Brian’s type - in his late fifties; graying, receding hair; many wrinkles - but he was also smart, funny, and desperate for Brian’s attention. Brian therefore didn’t see any harm in fulfilling the man’s fantasy when they hooked up and, surprisingly, John wasn’t half bad in bed either.

 

Later that night as they made their way to their room - John had booked one in the same hotel in which the annual medical award ceremony had been held - Brian kept the conversation light and easy. He wanted to ask more about corneal blood staining, but he didn’t know how to direct the conversation to that particular topic.

 

“Thank you,” John said when, after walking down the corridor to their room, Brian retrieved his designer suit jacket from the man’s shoulder. John had spilled some wine on his own earlier that night and, since they had both worn black suits, Brian had lent him his. Armani, of course.

 

“It was my pleasure, Dr. Lewis,” Brian drawled huskily.

 

“It’s John. I’ve told you a hundred times,” John responded with difficulty. As always, just a touch from Brian had a strong effect on him.

 

“John,” Brian purred, his warm breath tickling the side of John’s neck. Smirking when he noticed John’s hand shaking while he tried to slip the card into the lock, Brian murmured, “Let me help you with that.”

 

“Damn Brian! You’re going to kill me,” John breathed out.

 

“And here I thought I was going to make you feel, very, very much alive,” Brian countered playfully, enunciating the words ‘very much alive’ in a low, sexy voice.

 

John eventually managed to open the door, entering with Brian following him. The brunet headed to the living room area to place his folded jacket over the back of a chair, while John walked toward the minibar. On his way, he set his trophy down on a nearby table.

 

Brian noticed that John was stalling for time. It wasn’t unusual. John had always been surprisingly shy about his sexual needs and wasn’t always comfortable when Brian shredded his composure.

 

Fortunately, a shy man had never stopped Brian before. He walked over to John, but instead of ripping the doctor’s clothes off, he halted and stared at him. The man quirked an eyebrow, prompting Brian to state, “Before we get naked, I have a proposition.”

 

“A proposition?” John echoed.

 

Brian nodded. “Your award…” he began, walking to the table to pick up the glass trophy. He stared at it for long seconds before refocusing his gaze on John, as he put it down. “What do you know about corneal blood staining?”

 

John looked at him with a frown, obviously puzzled by his question.

 

Brian raised an eyebrow teasingly, deadpanning as he covered the distance separating him from the man, “Yes, I’m actually interested in your job, doc.”

 

John must have understood from the expression on his face that Brian was in fact deadly serious because he replied, “Corneal blood staining occurs for different reasons. Is there a specific reason for your query?”

 

Brian noticed John leaning closer and staring into his eyes. He chuckled. “No. Don’t worry, it’s not for me. It’s for a friend who is suffering from a post-traumatic… hyphema which occurred about a year ago, I think.”

 

“That’s a long time, especially with this kind of trauma. The damage could be irreversible.” John stated solemnly. “Has your friend seen an optometrist or ophthalmologist?”

 

“I guess. Financial considerations have probably held him back, though,” Brian responded, running his hand through his hair. Thinking about what had happened to Justin still made him irrationally angry at the injustice the young man had suffered.

 

John stared at Brian expectantly, waiting for the escort to verbalize what he wanted.

 

Brian exhaled heavily. “I want you to help him,” he clarified as he placed his hands on each side of John’s neck.

 

John nodded but warned, “It all depends on how advanced the blood staining is.”

 

“Well,” Brian began, lowering his hands to unbutton John’s shirt. “I have a proposition. You agree to see Justin at your office, pro bono, to determine whether you can do anything for him. And because I like you, I won’t charge you extra for this weekend.”

 

“Brian!” John exclaimed, his voice conveying a mixture of outrage and arousal.

 

“Say yes, John,” Brian whispered, leaning down to kiss the man’s neck. “It’s an offer you can’t refuse.”

 

John’s breathing became ragged, “Yes.”

 

“Smart man,” Brian drawled, before tugging off John’s shirt and biting his shoulder playfully. He then raised his head, placing his lips at the man’s ear, “It’s a pleasure to do business with you, doc. Now let’s focus on your pleasure. You deserve a special reward, ” he purred, before dropping to his knees.

 

************************

 

Sunday night, Pittsburgh, Brian’s loft…

 

Brian was lying on his bed, nude, a cigarette burning between his fingers as he looked contemplatively at the smoke rings evaporating before his eyes. Rubbing his face, he rolled onto his side to reach the ashtray on his nightstand and crushed out his Marlboro. He then resumed his former position, bending his arm to let his hand rest on the pillow next to his temple.

 

His phone, which he had carelessly thrown on the bed earlier that night, suddenly started to ring, assaulting his ears. Brian picked it up and stared at the name on the screen. Refusing to think about what he was going to do, he accepted the call.

 

“Justin,” he greeted with a fake smile, even though the blond couldn’t see him. He would be able to hear the unmistakable edge in his voice, however.

 

Justin stayed silent, probably completely astounded that Brian had finally deigned to answer his phone after a month of incessant calls and messages.

 

“I can hear you breathing,” Brian stated when it became obvious Justin wouldn’t respond to his greeting.

 

Still no response.

 

“For someone who has stalked me and harassed my employer to the point of driving him insane, which, believe me, is a huge accomplishment with a man like Jeffrey, you’re awfully rude not to answer my greeting,” Brian half-quipped, but he couldn’t disguise his slight irritation, caused by his mixed feelings.

 

Justin found his voice at last. “Shit. I mean sorry. I… fuck! I… how are you?” he mumbled, and Brian couldn’t keep a little smile from forming on his lips.

 

“Just peachy,” Brian replied, not wanting to appear like he actually was happy to talk to Justin. He was not. He was not. NOT. “Listen, I need you to do something for me.”

 

“Uh?”

 

“Can you focus for one fucking minute?” the brunet complained, his brow furrowing.

 

Brian heard background noises through the phone, as if Justin were moving around. The blond finally responded, “Tell me what I can do. I’ll do anything.”

 

“Anything?” Brian couldn’t help but echo sarcastically.

 

“Brian…” Justin pronounced his name in THAT way, obviously about to tell him how sorry he was, how much Brian meant to him, and all that fucking shit Brian didn’t want to hear.

 

Brian therefore cut him off before he could add anything else. “You have an appointment with Dr. John Lewis this Friday at 10 a.m. at the ‘Vision’ clinic. Take your medical records.”

 

“Excuse me, what?” Justin exclaimed, totally caught off guard.

 

“You heard me. Someone cancelled his visit, and you’re the lucky guy who will take his place.” Brian informed him.

 

“I…This...How...” Justin stammered. Brian was sure what he really wanted to ask was how the brunet had made it possible, but the blond thankfully refrained. “You know my financial situation. I’m not sure I can afford to go.”

 

“The first appointment has been taken care of. After that, I’m sure you can work out something with the doc. You could afford to pay me after all,” Brian drawled bitterly.

 

“Stop it, Brian,” Justin demanded, his voice cracking slightly, and Brian felt his resistance weakening momentarily as he heard Justin’s pain. The blond breathed out, “I made a mistake.”

 

Brian resisted the urge to believe his words and forget about the past month. A part of him wanted to overlook the whole fiasco of their last encounter but, in the end, his ego and pride prevented him from caving in.

 

“Yeah. Me too,” he answered instead, before disconnecting the call.