Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 7 - HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS...ZEE'S LITTLE BROWNSTONE...YEAH RIGHT!

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

GUS

 

              "So dad in a month's time, we won't be doing this anymore isn't that great?"

 

Dad gave me his version of the sunshine smile.

 

              "Did you have a good time Sonny Boy?  I don't want you to think I was..."

 

              "Dad don't even go there.  Of course I had a good time!  So it looks like Jenny's going to be a big sister?"

 

              "Wh...oh I see, seems like it.  Well they've not said anything officially to us but..."

 

              "Hunter said he caught them making out."  He snickers.

 

              "Caught who making out?"  Mom asks startling us.

 

              "Vince and Daphne."  I reply quickly.

 

Dad looks at me in surprise.

 

              "Well she didn't waste her time.  Wouldn't have thought he was her type, thought she would go for someone with more intellect.  Each to their own I suppose.  Now..."

 

              "What do you mean about not wasting her time and how do you know he's not smart?" 

 

I hate it when she judges people without knowing them.  Before she could speak they are announcing our flights.  Jenny bounces over to hug dad goodbye.

 

              "Less than 30 sleeps and we are home!  I can't wait for Christmas.  Bye Uncle Brian love you!" 

 

She gives him a big squeeze and tries to pretend she's not crying.  Momma and papa come over and I hug papa tightly, he's going to have a bit of a tough day because Aunt Daph is going today as well.   I can see he's starting to lose it.

 

              "Well time for us to go.  We will call you soon to discuss schools.  I will let Lindz handle that, you don't mind do you?"

 

              "No of course not."  Mom smiles at her.

 

              "Thanks for everything, I mean it, thank you."

 

Momma says and gives dad a kiss on the cheek and a squeeze on his arm, both mom and I stood there with our mouths open. 

 

              "Don't mention it...ever."  Dad growls and then smirks.

 

              "Bye dad." 

 

I sniffle into his chest and he smooths my hair.

 

              "Allergies?"  He whispers.

 

              "Yep."  I whisper back.

 

              "Well Brian, talk to you soon but soon we will be home."

 

Mom calls back as we head through the gates.

 

LINDZ

 

              "What was that about Mel?"

 

              "What was what about?"

 

              "Thanking Brian for everything?"

 

              "Can't I show gratitude for him putting up with us and the..."

 

              "Putting up with us.  He is not putting up with us!  I'm the mother of his child."  I hiss so as not to draw too much attention to us.  "And one of..."

 

              "His oldest friends.  Who should've been more appreciative for the tickets to San Francisco during Mardi Gras, the wine tasting in the Napa Valley and the spa bookings don't you think?"  She sighs.

 

              "What I didn't see anything like that..."

 

              "No you just looked in the envelope and saw what you wanted as usual.  Look I'm tired and we've got a shitload to do between now and Christmas.  All I want to do for the rest of the day is sleep, we can pick this up tomorrow.  Come on guys let's go"

 

GUS

 

Jesus they can't even make it a day without fucking arguing.  And I am still pissed that she thinks that Vince isn't smart.  I must give J a heads up about that.  I don't think it's a good idea that they know about Uncle Ben and Steve yet.  I'm not sure how Uncle Michael is going to react, he's still being a jerk about the divorce.  Dad said he would tell exactly why Uncle Michael and he are no longer best friends, it must've been pretty bad, it even had Nana Jen swearing and she never does.

 

              "Hey J.  Did you have a good time?"

 

              "Oh yes the best.  Mom says I can keep my toenails painted until the weekend.  I'm a bit bummed that I have to take my fingernails off though."

 

I smile, for someone who is as feisty and tomboyish as her, she is in touch with her girlie side!

 

              "I've just thought.  We'll have to make a list of all the things that we do here that we have to find in the Pitts.  For a start there's your roller derby and my chess club and I want to join the motocross club and what else?" 

 

              "Got pen and paper, let's make a list."  She suggests.

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT

 

JUSTIN

 

              "Have you got everything Daph?"

 

              "Justin!  I have packed and travelled by myself before.  I have everything!"

 

              "I know, okay that's your flight.  Call me when you get there okay."

 

              "I will I promise.  Now go before we both start!  See you at Christmas time!  Love you both!"

 

With that she scurries away.

 

              "Don't look back."  I whisper and she doesn't.

 

We head to the car and Vince is waiting for us.

 

              "Straight home and up Mr K?"  He asks.

 

              "Please Vince, thank you."

 

I don't say or do anything, I just want to keep it together until I get back to my studio, and then I feel his fingers brush my cheek.  I bite my lip.  He tugs my hand and then I am in lap sobbing my heart out.

 

              "What's brought this on?  You've never been like this before?"  He asks into my hair.

 

              "It's just never over, why can't they just let us be fucking happy?" 

 

I feel him shrug as he rubs my back and I start to calm down.

 

              "You want to hear something funny?"  He snorts.

 

I nod into his chest and wipe my face.

 

              "Gus is a smart boy."

 

              "Is there a punchline to that?"  I ask looking up at him.

 

              "Yeah.  He was telling me that Hunter caught Ben and Steve making out and Lindz arrived just in time to catch the end and asked who was making out.  And he said Vince and Daph."

 

              "What!  Why?"

 

              "And then he lit into her a bit when she questioned Vince's intellect and questioned Daph's morality."

 

              "Lindz is questioning Daph's morality when she cheated on Mel and was willing to marry a guy for "his green card"."

 

              "Yep."

 

I start to giggle.

 

              "You're right that is funny."

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

              "Thank God we are home.  Don't get me wrong I love the guys but Lindz is another matter!  I thought I had problems with boundaries!"

 

Zee chuckles and wraps her arms round me then groans rubbing her back.

 

              "Okay you've done enough this weekend.  Time for a Jacuzzi bath and then I will do something about your back.  Oh did we manage to get leftovers."

 

              "Mmm, some of the suckling pig although I think the lamb was a midnight feast for Justin and Daph."

 

I snort softly, she's still not moved.

 

              "What is it?"

 

              "I love you."

 

              "This I know..."

 

              "No I really love you.  The way you were with Mel."

 

              "She deserves happiness.  You can see how emotionally worn down she is, I think coming back here will work out better for Mel than Lindz thinks."

 

This time she looks up at me and frowns.

 

              "Up in Canada she's on her own, no back up, but Lindz has, or thinks she has, Brian and holds that over Mel like a cudgel.  With us at her back, the balance of power is more...uh...balanced.  Yes?"

 

              "Yes geliefde it is indeed.  Now time for you to do your thang and unkink your wife's back."

 

 

BRITIN - SAME AFTERNOON

 

ALICE

 

That is the last time that woman works in my kitchen - I spent a good twenty minutes getting that stain out of the counter, lucky Brian didn't see it.  How Mel eats any of the damn food she makes is a mystery, has the woman heard of salt!  I'm not wasteful but there was no way that was staying in my fridge, I have my standards!

 

And poor Lilah didn't get as much salmon over the weekend because she ate most of it.  It was lucky it was Debs who stopped her and not Brian, nobody takes food from his majesty.

 

              "Hey Alice."  Justin comes into the kitchen and I can tell he's been crying.

 

              "Right you go wash your face and I will prepare some rolls for you..."

 

              "Not chicken right?"

 

I give him the look and he backs slowly out.

 

              "Oh there's some soup in the freezer, I can do that instead?"  I call out.

 

              "Can you do the dunkers?  And we save the pig for later?"  Brian asks ruffling his hair as he passes.

 

              "Sure."

 

              "Managed to get it out then?"  He brushes his hand over the counter.

 

I snort and shrug. 

 

              "She made them didn't she?"  He asks quietly.

 

              "Yeah, I don't think she made the specifically for you, I think it was something she had already done."

 

              "Did she take them back?"

 

I give him the look and he smiles.

 

              "Good."

 

NEW YORK

 

DAPHNE'S APARTMENT

 

DAPHNE

 

              "Hey Justin, I'm home safe and sound.  I still have to unpack, all of my stuff, seriously you guys spoilt me.  I love Zee, Faal and Matt.  Hunter's a lucky guy!  What?  Gus said what?!  Oh your son is in so much trouble!"

 

UPTOWN GALLERY - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

HUNTER

 

I gape at my Lydia, my supervisor.

 

              "You want to train me to do what?"

 

              "Be one of our curators.  Obviously, this will mean going to college to study and you'd start at the junior level.  You will get on the job experience, we'll go to art shows, estates, museums and the like.  You've got a good eye and your placings and labelling is excellent.  Your enthusiasm is second to none.  I think you would be brilliant at it if you would just give yourself a chance."

 

I worry at my lip.

 

              "Hunter, you can do this."  She says.  "All you have to do is want to.  And don't worry about finding a college, with your SATs you can get anywhere and of course the gallery will cover your fees."

 

              "You will?"

 

              "Of course, that way you'll feel obligated to stay!"  She smiles at me widely.

 

              "Of course!  I knew there was a catch! 

 

              "The best one is of course Carnegie Mellon, but you would ideally need a letter of recommendation for that."

 

I beam at her, I don't think that is going to be a problem at all.

 

DINER - FRIDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

Lindz called to say she's been looking into schools this week and will sort out a call for next week between all the parents.  She's got at least three that are near Shadyside so we will just pick one of those.

 

              "Michael.  Paging Michael Novotny.  Can Michael Novotny come back to planet earth?" 

 

I look up at ma.

 

              "Novotny Bruckner."  I correct her.

 

              "But you are going to be going back to Novotny so you might as well start using it now."

 

I glare at her.

 

              "Can I just order please?"

 

              "So how you feeling about the girls moving back?  Isn't it great?"

 

              "Yes of course it is but..."

 

She sighs and sits down.

 

              "But what, what possible objection can you have to this?"

 

              "Well it's just the Brownstone is awfully far away from Shadyside, I don't know why they can't stay at Britin, which is closer for me?"

 

              "Closer for...!  And what about Mel?"

 

              "What about Mel?"

 

              "Her new job is nearer the Brownstone."

 

              "She can get a car and drive to work.  Or they can sort a service for her."  I argue

 

              "Or you can get a job to put petrol in your car and drive to see your daughter at the Brownstone!"  She snaps.  "That money is not going to last forever!  And I can see why he's citing irreconcilable differences and unreasonable behaviour!"

 

              "Thanks!  Good to know that I have my mother's support!"

 

              "Debs order up!"

 

I glare at her retreating back and then grimace when Ben comes in. 

 

              "Michael."

 

              "Ben."

 

              "Hey honey, the rest of the boys coming in?"  Ma calls out

 

              "No it's just a quick stop off to collect the keys."

 

              "Oh yeah hold on."

 

She goes out back and then hands them to him and he leaves.

 

              "So what'll be?"  She asks me.

 

              "Why does he need keys to the house for?"  I demand.

 

              "Who says they are keys to the house?

 

              "Well what are they for then?"

 

              "That's between him and Carl so if you want to know ask one of them.  Now what's it going to be."

 

              "Nothing I am going home!"

 

I storm out and as I walk up the street I stop in shock and stare.  What the fuck have they done!

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

              "Good afternoon sir.  I'm afraid we aren't quite open yet, but we will be next week.  I can take your details to invite you to the relaunch event."

 

              "Relaunch?"  I stutter.

 

              "Yes, next Thursday.  Do you want to give me your details?"

 

I look round what used to be my store.  As well as the new signage they have stripped back to the brickwork and given it some kind of varnish so that it gleams.  There shelves of comics along two walls and at the back are four computers all hi spec.  The flooring is brushed concrete and the collectibles are all along one wall.  My collectibles. 

 

              "What's upstairs?"  I ask.

 

              "Oh that will be revealed at the relaunch, so your details?"

 

I quickly scribble them down and head out, there is no way in fuck that I am missing that little soiree!

 

TREEHOUSE - SUNDAY EVENING

 

HUNTER

 

Suppose now is good a time as any.

 

              "Um can I have your attention please?"

 

All eyes turn to me and I gulp.

 

              "Lydia, she's my supervisor at work, offered to train me as a curator and I said yes and I need a letter of recommendation so dad I was wondering if you could write it as I will have to go to college for my degree and did I mention I said yes?"

 

I sat down quickly and waited.  Nothing nobody said a word.

 

              "Well say something."  I demand.

 

              "Son we would if we understood what you said.  Can you repeat that slowly?"  Grandpa asks.

 

I said it again and then the smiling starts and grandma Debs and nana Jen both give me hugs.  Matt is just grinning at me and then Brian and Justin start to laugh.

 

              "What, what so funny about that?"  I huff.

 

              "No, nothing, we're not laughing at you.  She is going to pitch a fit when she hears this."  Justin gasps.

 

              "Who?"  I ask.

 

              "Lindz."  Brian chuckles.

 

              "Oh yeah I forgot she does that...well when she's not arguing with Mel and flouncing out sulking according to Gus.  He was really pissed when they were going home that she couldn't even wait till they got home to start a fight."

 

Brian rolls his eyes and sighs heavily.

 

              "Well this definitely calls for bubbles!"  Auntie Ems calls and heads to the kitchen.

 

              "Ems you never need an excuse for bubbles!"  Drew calls out.

 

              "Honey.  One word.  Couch!"  He calls back.

 

We all burst out laughing at the sheepish expression on Drew's face.

 

MEL & LINDZ'S HOUSE - MONDAY MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

              "Well when you be available, we have to discuss this as parents Mel!"

 

              "Lindz I'm aware of that!  All I am saying is that I can't do that time.  I have a conference call with Harry first, I can do the call afterwards."

 

              "So your call with Harry is more important than discussing the educational needs of our children?!"

 

              "If it wasn't for Harry we wouldn't be having this conversation about our children being schooled in Pittsburgh now would we?  Now I have to go, just make the call an hour or so later that's all I am asking."

 

She heads out and for once I can't find a way dispute that.

 

BRITIN - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

              "Okay is everyone on?"

 

I get a chorus of yeses.  Lindz had emailed us the list of schools as well as places for their after school activities, so of course little Mr Organised had colour coded them according to the map and emailed it back with the location of their friends as well, so that we had a proper lie of the land.

 

              "Top 3 are Community Day, St Bede and Reizenstein Middle for both of them, that way..."  Lindz begins.

 

              "Hang on, who made those choices?"  Mel asks surprised.

 

              "Well Michael and I have been talking and these seem the best location wise."

 

              "For who?"  Ben asks.

 

              "They're near Michael for Jenny to visit and close to Britin for Gus to visit."

 

              "And what about Mel's work, their home, their after school activities, their friends not to mention being close to family if we need to pick them up or something."  He asks.

 

              "Ben I really don't..."

 

              "Whilst I am still paying child support Michael, I really do!"  He snaps.

 

              "Why can't we look at the schools where most of the things that Ben mentions are.  And also Lindz you've got to remember galleries?"  I point out.

 

              "Galleries?"

 

              "There are better galleries the Brownstone side including Sydney Bloom, you didn't leave under too much of a cloud, so you could go back there."

 

Justin says sweetly whilst rolling his eyes at me, I smack him on the arm and then give him a swift kiss, there's my little tiger.

 

              "But we prefer..."

 

              "What you prefer and what makes logical and logistical sense are not the same things."  Ben sighs.

 

Hmm, it would seem that being with Steve has given Ben some much needed backbone.

 

              "So what are you saying?"  Michael demands.

 

              "Those schools are just not viable options."  I sigh starting to tense up at that whine.

 

              "So in other words, if we don't pick what you want then you won't pay for it?"  Lindz is shrill.

 

              "They weren't going to pay for Jenny and Gus in the first place Lindz.  Okay Gus, yes, but as Jenny's parents, me, you, Michael and Ben should pay.  They will be leaving at the crack of dawn to get to school, all of which are an hour away by bus, by the time they get home they are going to be exhausted and then there's their homework..."

 

              "They can use the service..."  Michael suggests.

 

              "Which will still take at least 45 minutes to get them there in morning traffic and the drive back home would be longer.  It's not fair on them.  They will be too exhausted to do anything except go to school and sleep.  No sorry, but Shadyside or any other places near Britin are not an option."  Mel states firmly.

 

              "Or Brian could get you guys a car and Lindz can drive them before she goes to work." 

 

I snap a pencil, he's still arguing this fucking point! 

 

              "No Michael no!"  Mel's voice is sharp and final.

 

              "I see you've made a decision for us once again Mel."  Lindz snipes.

 

              "Hey if you want we can stay in Toronto and this problem goes away!"  She snaps.

 

There is a beat before Lindz speaks.

 

              "Okay so the other schools highlighted we haven't really looked at and we..."

 

              "Oh I have, I sent you the details on the second attachment."  Justin chips in.

 

              "Thanks Justin.  In that case we don't really need you and Brian to continue on this call.  We will let you know which one we settle on and go from there.  And speaking of going from there, I have a move date for you.  We should be back in Pittsburgh on the 19 December!"

 

              "What wait, that's less than 3 weeks away!"  I shout.

 

              "I know!  We need to sort out movers and everything.  I also need Zee's number can you email me that?"

 

              "Sure Justin's doing it now.  Look sort out the schools and we will sort out the movers for you, it's the least we can do, you're bringing my Sonny Boy home!"  I tell her firmly.

 

              "Okay thanks Brian." 

 

              "Yes thank you Peter."  Lindz sighs.

 

              "Bye all."

 

I grimace and cut off the phone. 

 

              "We've got some calls to make."  Justin nibbles on his thumb, he's picked that up from me.

 

              "Yeah, once I've fucked you into the mattress."  I tell him hoisting him over my shoulder.

 

He squeals with laughter and tries pathetically to escape.

 

              "Oh please Mr Caveman be gentle with me!"

 

TREEHOUSE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

ZEE

 

              "This is Zaden."

 

              "Zaden, um good morning, this is Lindz, how are you?" 

 

              "Fine thank you.  Mel called and told me the good news."

 

              "Yes isn't it great."

 

There is a silence.

 

              "You called me Lindz."

 

              "Oh yes, yes I did, I just wanted to say, um thank you for letting us stay in your little Brownstone until we get somewhere else..."

 

              "You're welcome... Jennifer will be there to hand over the keys, get the tenancy agreement signed and leave you a folder of listings she's been working on, I'll be there later in the evening with a hamper, I know the last thing you'd want to do when first move is cook.  Now sorry to cut this short but I have to run.  See you."

 

              "You have to admire her tenacity."  Faal says grimly.

 

RED CAPE COMICS RELAUNCH NIGHT

 

MICHAEL

 

I can't believe this place and how packed it is.  I head upstairs and am astonished.  They have opened up the wall where there was a small window and there are sofas, a pinball machine - a vintage pinball machine, a snack area and a fancy coffee machine.  And a small movie room next to the bathroom. 

 

              "So what do you think Michael?"  I brace myself and turn round to face Phil one of my former long term customers.

 

              "It looks okay.  I suppose."  I mutter.

 

              "Okay!  This place is freaking awesome!"  He looks incredulously at me.  "Why'd you sell it, I thought you loved this place?"

 

              "I had a change in circumstances."  I grimace.  "Now if you will excuse me, I need to look round a bit more."

 

I head towards the display case and want to cry.  All my collectibles are still here, I remember buying each and everyone one of them.  It is so unfair what they have done.

 

              "I wouldn't have thought you'd be here." 

 

I take a deep breath and turn round to face Matt and scowl.

 

              "Same can be said about you.  I wouldn't have thought that this was your kind of thing?"

 

              "It isn't but I wanted to see how my suggestions worked out."

 

              "Your suggestions?" 

 

              "Yeah I am studying architecture and design, they showed me how you had it first and asked what I would do.  I'm not into comic books, I find them dull, but even a geek needs to sit the fuck down when they read."

 

              "Well done, do you want applause?"  I spit.

 

              "No, but I do want to tell you something.  You didn't even try at Thanksgiving, they were in the same room less than 10 feet away and nothing.  You've made me do the one thing I hate in life, keep a secret, and I hate you for it."  He spits back.

 

MEL & LINDZ HOUSE - 18 DECEMBER 2014 MID MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

Oh my God oh my God oh my God!  We are flying in Faal's private plane, okay its "Zee's" but I bet he bought it for her.   The house is finally packed up and we are finally going home.  Mel has been running all over the place trying to wrap up her partnership here and I organised the movers.  She was a bit snippy that I hadn't started putting out feelers for jobs yet but I would like to see the galleries, get a feel for the place, before I put my resume in.

 

Michael called me and told me what they had done to the store.  Whilst it does sound great they could at least let him run it.  But apparently they got someone else in.  He said that Matt came to him to gloat about that too.  What odd behaviour but he said he held the higher ground and just ignored him.

 

Well here's the service to take us to the plane.  I can't wait!

 

ZEE & FAAL'S PLANE

 

PILOT

 

              "We will now be descending into JFK, could all passengers retake their seats and put their seatbelts on."

 

LINDZ

 

              "Why are we going to JFK?"  I ask Mel.

 

              "I don't know maybe refuelling."  She replies looking out the window.

 

I take another sip of my champagne, I could get used to this.

 

The door opens to let someone on maybe they are switching stewardesses.

 

              "Aunt Daph!"  Jenny screams and leaps out of her seat.

 

Daphne scoops Jenny into her arms and showers her with kisses.

 

              "Lindsay, Mel how are you both?"  She smiles at us.

 

              "Ah Gus, you and I need to have a little chat later my man."

 

              "I didn't know you were coming to Pittsburgh.  Stopping long?"

 

              "Yeah till the New Year." 

 

She takes off her coat and hands it to the stewardess and accepts a glass of champagne.

 

              "What a beautiful coat, where did you get it?"  I ask.

 

              "I didn't.  It was a thank you gift for supporting Justin from the gang." 

 

              "How sweet."  I say

 

              "Isn't it though.  Ooh we're off!"  She squeals excitedly.  "Have you ever flown by private plane before Mel?"

 

              "No first time.  You?"

 

              "Me too."

 

              "So where will you be staying when you get to Pittsburgh?"  I just know the answer.

 

              "Britin of course, have to help Alice with the baking and Justin with the decorating."

 

              "Of course you do."  I murmur tightly.

 

DAPH

 

Ooh it is killing her that I am here and I get to stay at Britin and she doesn't.  Good you skanky assed bitch, suck it up!

 

MEL

 

I must not look at Daph.  Lindz is vibrating with anger and frustration.  Oh well never mind.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

JENNIFER

 

Daph called and said how pissed off Lindz looked when she got on the plane.  I'm dying to see that coat.  Brian insisted that it was sent on ahead immediately so it didn't get crushed along with everything else she bought.  I have it on good authority that Zee is in for a nice surprise from a certain husband of hers.

 

I think I hear the car.  Ah yes they are here.  I'm going to enjoy every minute of this.  I step outside as I want to see her reaction to her little Brownstone all 3 floors of it.

 

              "Nana Jen!"  Gus is surprised and rushes to hug me as does Jenny.

 

              "Hi guys how was the flight?"  They start to babble excitedly.

 

              "Guys can we get inside it's freezing out here!"  Mel chides.

 

Lindz has stopped by the car to take out her case and I watch as her eyes take it all on.

 

              "So which floor is ours?"

 

              "All of them.  Come on like Mel says its freezing!"

 

Mel comes to a halt in the kitchen and looks round whistling.

 

              "The movers have put the boxes in all the relevant rooms and this is the number for the storage company that your furniture is in.  This place is fully furnished.  Here are the listings and the tenancy agreement, could that be signed in the next couple of days and sent back to me."

 

All this time Lindz has not said a word after returning from checking out the rest of the floor.

 

              "Well if that's all, I shall leave you to your unpacking.  Zee will be here around five.  The boys have the top floor so these two floors are pretty much yours."

 

              "Jennifer thank you for meeting us here it really was..."  Mel's voice breaks.

 

              "We're family that's what we do."

 

I kiss her goodbye and give her a quick wink before giving Lindsay a WASP hug.

 

MEL

 

              "This place is incredible.  I never thought..."

 

              "Faal must..."  Lindz began only to be interrupted by Jenny.

 

              "Aunt Zee decorated it, according to Uncle Faal she has the eye when it comes to decorating.  She did the Treehouse as well.  I'm so pleased to be here."

 

She heads to the fridge and looks inside before closing the door again.

 

              "Momma where's the food?"

 

              "What sweetheart sorry was miles away?"

 

              "The food."

 

              "Zee's bringing that later."

 

              "No Aunt Zee is just bringing dinner for this evening, mom asked you to order food to stock the fridge for breakfast..."

 

              "Lindz, you did order the food right, it's coming at some point today?"

 

              "Of course I did!" 

 

She snaps and rifles through her purse finding what she's looking she slams it down.

 

              "That's great Lindz except the delivery date is for tomorrow between nine and twelve.  Come on Jenny grab your coat let's go get some basics so that we can at least have breakfast."  I tell her.

 

As we head out I am glad of the biting wind so that I can blame that for my tears.

 

ZEE

 

              "Hey anybody home?"  I call out when I get there with food.

 

Mel comes out and pulls me into a hug.

 

              "Thank you so much for letting us stay here.  It's beautiful."

 

              "Now hush and call Daph she wants to make sure you're okay.  Right's where's Lindz I need to show you both some things."

 

              "Lindz can you come a minute!"  She calls out.

 

I spend time showing the intricacies of the home and resist the temptation to remark on every eye roll Lindz makes.

 

              "So you have underfloor heating but lighting the fires does make it nice and toasty."  I tell them.

 

              "Where would we get the wood?"  Mel asks

 

              "Too easy."  I snicker.

 

I hear the front door open and then there is a thud and a groan.

 

              "Be right back.  Stay here."  I order.

 

I dash back to the kitchen and am greeted by the sight of Matt pinning Hunter to the door and kissing the hell out of him.  Now I am no prude, I have a glass Faal after all, but no mother wants to see her son's hips snap like that.  Or hear Hunter whisper what he wants to do to him later!

 

              "You have the loft for that."  I point out.

 

              "Mom what are you doing here?!"  Matt squeaks.

 

              "Moving in day remember?"  I fight the urge to giggle.

 

              "That's today?"  Hunter groans and tries to slide his hand out of Matt's pants without me noticing.

 

              "Yeah.  And this is where you leave."  I grin at them.

 

They bundle out of the door and I decide that wine is called for.  I grab a bottle and glasses from the hamper, shove the corkscrew in my back pocket and rejoin them. 

 

              "So where was I?  Who's on opening duty?"  I wave at the bottle at them.

 

              "Surely you can open a screwcap bottle and talk at the same time."  Lindz smiles sweetly.

 

              "I can but the Glen Carlou Gravel Quarry Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, which I know is one of your favourites, doesn't come in screw cap form, hence the corkscrew."

 

              "How did you know about that?"  She asks going bright red.

 

              "You mentioned it to Faal and Faal mentioned it to me, I thought it would make the perfect welcome to your temporary home gift.  So I can leave you to sort that?"

 

I hand her the bottle and set the glasses down on the table.

 

              "Oh who was at the door?"  Mel asks trying to break the tension.

 

I start to laugh.

 

              "Sorry that was Matt and Hunter and clearly they missed each other today." 

 

              "I don't...oh they were making out?" 

 

              "To say the least."  I snort into my glass.

 

              "They won't be doing that here.  They will show me and Mel some respect.  And Gus and Jenny shouldn't be subjected to that."  Lindz bridles.

 

              "Lindsay.  You're aware that Gus has walked in on Brian and Justin at least once.  Matt and Hunter sucking face and dry humping is nothing on that!  Besides I've sent them to the loft for tonight.  You forget that this is his home, he has more right to fuck in it than you do.  And I don't like the inference that my son is disrespectful.  He knows the rules and abides by them at all times..."

 

              "Respectful is he?  Well tell that to Michael."

 

              "How did we get to him?"  Mel snaps rubbing her temple.

 

              "He told me about your son gloating about what happened to his comic book store but Michael rose above it and ignored him."  She responds eyes flashing.

 

              "That's not what he told us."  I'm so close to snapping her neck.

 

              "And the one thing my son does not do is lie."  Faal's quiet voice stuns us into silence.  "And I resent the implication you have made there Lindsay.  Let us show you how to light the fire and leave you to your evening okay?"

 

Mel nods and Lindz looks horrified at being caught out.

 

              "So what do we do?"  Mel asks.

 

              "First pick up the wood."  Faal instructs.