Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 6 - HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS...INTERLUDE

 

THANKSGIVING EVENING - BRITIN

 

VINCE

 

Fuck me the man can whine without actually speaking, how is that possible.  He just sat in the back of the car with his arms folded staring out the window radiating resentment.  I'm glad of the silence, after he pushed Alice I wanted to smack him.  How people with the class and of Mr K and Mr T ended up with him as a friend I don't know.  And as for that blonde lady, well she was just rude.  Zee handled her like a pro, all nice and quiet like, but I don't think that lady will listen, well more fool her. 

 

I know I was working today, on trash duty, but the food was so nice.  Zee said she would leave a pudding, I wanted to stay away from all booze until that man was out the door, and I watched her pour at least half a bottle of whisky in the sponge alone!

 

Now I am off duty thank fuck for that, time to hunt down that pudding.  I head to the lounge.

 

              "Well Mr K, I'll bid you and your folks' goodnight."  I tell him

 

              "Thanks Vince for dropping him off, you didn't have to do that."  Mrs H gives me a small smile.

 

              "Yes I did."  I smile back.

 

              "Are you sure you won't join us?"  Mr K asks.

 

I shake my head and smile at the invite but I am bone tired and there is a big game on tonight.

 

              "Thanks again.  And Zee, the food despite what some folks thought was beautiful."

 

They all say goodnight to me and I start to head to my room.

 

              "Vince!  Wait!"  Zee calls out.  "Your pudding.  It's in the back oven right at the back, it's been warming on low for the last hour it should be perfect by now."

 

              "Thanks Zee, goodnight."

 

              "Goodnight."

 

ZEE

 

              "Fuck, brandy shot!"  I call him back and pour it for him.

 

I head back to the lounge and pretend I hadn't noticed the admiring glance that Daph gave Vince as he turned round to leave.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed.

 

              "Does anyone have any aspirin?  The food was a bit too alcohol heavy and I can feel the beginnings of a headache."  Lindz groans.

 

              "Sure we have some upstairs come on."  Mel takes her hand and leads her out.

BRITIN - MEL & LINDZ'S ROOM

 

LINDZ

 

              "So that was fun?"

 

              "It was but I am stuffed."  Mel groans and loosens her buttons on her trousers.

 

              "I was being sarcastic!"  I snap

 

              "Okay in what way wasn't it fun for you?"  She sighs.

 

I gape at her and throw my hands up in the air.

 

              "Let me see!  I was ignored at breakfast.  I was insulted by Zee in the kitchen.  I was scolded for attempting to voice my professional opinion on some art - if it wasn't for me he wouldn't have got where he was!  I was berated by a man mountain when I only voiced my opinion over the food, which I maintain should've been more traditional.  I was verbally abused in an unprovoked attack by Jennifer and finally I was snapped at by Brian for wanting to defend Michael who has been his best friend and childhood supporter!  And on top of that you spring the move to Pittsburgh on me in front of everyone!  And now we have to rely on the charitable hospitality of Zee who by the way doesn't like me!  That, Mel, is how it wasn't fun for me!"

 

She takes a sip of her wine and rubs her stomach thoughtfully. 

 

              "Okay from the top.  You were late coming down, we were all told what time breakfast was so that the schedule could be stuck to.  You are trying to seduce her husband.  The pictures are none of your business - and again if it wasn't for you Brian wouldn't have been miserable all that time.  You were rude about the food - if you wanted it more traditional you should've cooked it.  You were making sly digs and trying to insinuate yourself as Lady of the Manor the moment you got here.  Michael is only a friend and supporter when it suits Michael - he tried so hard to chat to Jenny don't you think, in between making cow-eyes at Brian and glowering at Steve and Ben?  You said you didn't want to move to Toronto in the first place so why is moving back such a big deal.  Zee is clearly just trying to help us out - despite the fact that you are trying to seduce her husband.  How is any of you feeling this "not been fun" not been a result of your actions?"

 

She waits for me to say something and I am too speechless with fury to speak for a minute.

 

       "Melanie, you have made my headache worse, so I am having an early night.  I'm sure in this vast mansion there is someone else you can sleep!"

 

       "Fine."  She replies and walks out.

 

Fine!  That's all she says!  I pace the room in an effort to calm down.  But it's no good.  I can't let her have the last word, I stomp downstairs but she's already in the lounge.  Fuck!  I stomp back upstairs and decide to call Michael.

 

              "Hey Michael its Lindz.  How are you?  Did you have as an uncomfortable time as I did?  I see what you mean about Zee, she really has got her feet under the table here hasn't she but if she thinks she's getting her hooks into Brian she can think again.  I don't know how Faal puts up with her.  Anyway, enough about that.  Isn't it great about us coming back to the Pitts.  Okay we'll have to rough it in Zee's little Brownstone but it won't be for long.  I think I will take my time and ease myself back into the gallery scene round here, now that Mel is being made partner I don't have to worry about working too much.  I know isn't it great?  Of course you will have an input into where Jenny goes to school you are her father after all.  It has to be a place that is equidistance between your place and Britin of course.  Are you back here tomorrow?  Oh that's a shame.  It's just that we were given presents from Brian and Justin today, they said that it was from Zee and Faal too but I doubt she contributed, I have to say I was most disappointed that we only got tickets for San Francisco, I am one of his best friends and the mother of his child for heaven sake!  And just a minute..."

 

I look out into the corridor as I thought I heard a floorboard creak but there was nobody there.

 

              "Anyway as I was saying..."  I continue and shut the door.

 

DAPHNE

 

Oh fuck that!  You come after my girl, I'll shove your eyeballs so far down your throat you'll see me tear out your heart!  It's on!

 

I quietly make my way back downstairs and sit back next to Alice, I must have been a little antsy still when she asks me to help her with the second lot of "pudding", as she had to tell me twice, which of course wakes Justin right up.

 

              "Second pudding, there's more food?  Okay the buttons are being opened."  

 

He mumbles from Brian's lap.

 

              "Not exactly, just some hot coffees, which I think will round of the evening perfectly." 

 

Zee stretches and stands up, asking who wants some?  Jenny's hand shoots up and she looks hopefully between her mom and Ben, they nod.  Gus looks at his dads and Hunter and Matt look at their fathers.

 

              "So everyone then?  Oh where's Lindz?  Do you think she'll want some?"  She asks Mel.

 

              "No.  She said she was calling it an early night."  Mel replies and snuggles up with Jenny.

 

              "Yeah that's what she's doing."  I mutter under my breath.

 

We follow her to the kitchen where she gets out some beautiful heavy set glass mugs.  Shaped like a fat tear drop wider at the top.  They are coloured a delicate silvery gold, with a copper coloured glass handle.

 

              "Okay fellow devil hellcat spill, what's got you so riled?"  She asks casually.

 

              "Just something that, ugh, woman said to Michael."

 

              "When?"  Mel surprised us all.

 

              "She was on the phone to him earlier."  I tell her.

 

              "And she wonders why I don't tell her shit!" 

 

She snarls and stalks to the stairs but then changes her mind and comes back in.

 

              "What exactly did she say?" 

 

              "About Zee not getting her hooks into Brian, how she doesn't know how Faal puts up with her, how disappointed she was to only get tickets to San Francisco, how now that you're partner she doesn't have to rush to get a job oh and the best bit that the school that Jenny goes to will have to be "equidistance" between his place and Britin."

 

              "Did she, did she indeed?"  Mel mutters angrily.

 

              "Methinks some tough love is called for."  Alice murmurs.

 

              "You are so right Alice."  Mel sighs.

 

              "Okay seriously enough of bullshitters and funsuckers.  Let's get these in!"  Zee demands.

 

We had back the lounge with the pots of coffee and the mugs.  And of course the famous cookies that Justin has been telling me about, Zee said that there's a box in my room to take back to NYC with me.  Yes!

 

The kids want to watch a movie so we send them to the media room with strict instructions to be careful and despite her maturity to remember Jenny's age.

 

Soon it's just us adults and when Carl swiftly moves to the cart for the brandy and waves it around we all nod.

 

JUSTIN

 

              "These mugs are gorgeous Alice, where did you get them from?"  Brian asks.  "They have the perfect weight and despite the coffee being boiling hot the outside is cool, how do they do that?"

 

              "Oh my goodness the coffee is lovely, but I don't get the same buzz, why is that?"  Jennifer asks.

 

              "The cream and the Kahlua liqueur disguise the fact that it's decaf."  Alice replies.

 

              "Seriously, Alice where did you get them from?  Such an unusual colour."  Brian asks again.

 

              "I didn't, Zee brought them with her."  Alice replies.

 

Before anything else could be said Lindz appears.

 

              "Oh that smells wonderful!  I would love a cup of coffee."  She coos

 

              "No Lindsay, you can't."  Daph's voice is flat and hard.

 

              "Uh and why not?"

 

              "Pills and liquor don't mix."  She replies.  "And this has loads in it.  That's why you went upstairs earlier remember because of the headache it gave you."

 

Pink spots appear on Lindz's cheeks.

 

              "I can do you a cup of Earl Grey?"  Alice offers.

 

              "Yes that..."  Lindz starts to sit down.

 

              "Come now Lindsay, surely you could make yourself a cup of tea?"  Faal asks sweetly.

 

              "Well I don't know where things are kept..."  She begins.

 

              "There are tea caddies, are they called caddies here, on the counter.  And Earl Grey has a distinctive smell, so just keep opening and sniffing, you know like a dog after its bone.  And the mugs are in plain sight.  So just fill the kettle, wait for the water to boil, put the teabag in the mug, pour over the hot water and then come join us yes?"  Faal smiles at her.

 

              "Thank you but no, I think I will just make my tea and go back up.  Mel, please try not to disturb me when you come back to bed."  She says tightly.

 

              "I won't.  Daphne and I are going to share tonight, though I suspect Jenny will creep in at some point.  Sleep well."

 

She replies and makes a big deal of pouring herself another mug of coffee and inhaling it deeply.

 

              "Oh Lindz before you go.  What time is shall we start?"  Faal asks.

 

              "Start?"

 

              "Yes, those who didn't do anything today, do it tomorrow.  I look forward to assisting you, so what time would you like the troops, as you my dear Lady of Manor are in charge." 

 

Faal smiles that smile again.

 

              "I-uh, didn't realise.  Um how about 1200?"

 

              "Great but isn't that a little late for breakfast?"

 

              "Breakfast?"

 

              "Yes, they did breakfast, lunch and evening munchies, we should do the same.  It's only fair is it not?"

 

I keep my eyes trained on the floor because I know from the trembling of Brian that he is barely holding it together and if I look at Emmy Lou I will lose it.

 

              "Well our flights..."

 

              "Aren't until Saturday lunch time, it will be fine."  Mel smiles sweetly.

 

              "Okay then.  How about seven?"  She grinds out.

 

              "Whatever you say milady." 

 

She turns heel and starts to stomp to the kitchen.

 

              "Momma, you're up are you feeling better?" Jenny calls out. 

 

              "Yes, yes honey I'm a bit better, just going to make a cup of tea." 

 

              "Oh great I'll join you.  Well goodnight all, it was an awesome day, do you want me to shut these doors for you?"  Jenny asks.

 

              "Please sweetheart, and make sure that momma gets right back to bed."  Mel kisses her cheek.

 

              "Will do.  Come momma you are the patient, I'm the nurse, to bed with you!  I'll bring it up"

 

With that the doors are firmly shut on Lindz's objections.

 

And it takes about 10 seconds for the room to erupt in laughter.  After about five minute we settle down.

 

              "Okay why?"  I ask Faal.

 

              "She insulted my lig and nobody but nobody does that."

 

              "You know she's going to think that's hot and keep coming after you?"  Mel asks quietly.

 

              "That's as maybe.  But let me ask you something, why do you put up with this?"

 

              "I love her."  She answers quietly.

 

              "But do you like her?"  Blake takes her hand.

 

              "Sometimes I do."

 

              "Mel, you have to love and like someone all the time and the first person that should be is you.  Because if you don't who will?"  Faal pulls her into a hug.

 

              "You are a very lucky lady."  She says to Zee with a watery smile.

 

              "Fuck luck.  Look at him, he's gorgeous and most woman and a few men want to fuck him, but he comes home to me, why because we're happy in the silences.  Actually maybe that doesn't make sense.  What I mean is..."

 

              "No I get it.  I once said to Lindz that the one thing Jews can't stand is silence.  But thinking about it now it's the silent treatment I can't stand."

 

              "Nobody does silent better than a WASP."  Jennifer comments.

 

              "We're not always happy!  We fight like a starving lion and hyena over a carcass!" 

 

Faal chuckles and blows Zee a kiss, she scowls back at him and then pokes out her tongue.

 

              "Why aren't I enough?"  She hiccups.

 

              "For you or for her?"  He asks.

 

              "A bit of topic for a minute but why is she calling Michael?  You'd think after the shit he pulled she would be defending that little cub, not that she's not capable of defending herself of course, she's part Marcus after all."  Daph snickers.

 

              "It does seem odd.  After what he said about Hunter and Justin.  I will never forgive him for that and felt ashamed after the way we treated Brian after the anniversary party."  Ben adds.

 

              "Hunter and Justin?  What did he say about Hunter and Justin?"  Daph looks round angrily.

 

              "Daph please?"  I beg.

 

              "Someone tell me!"  She demands.

 

              "He said that Ben always put that diseased bastard first, meaning Hunter, and said that Brian should've left Justin in the parking garage."  Drew answers.  "What it's not me she's mad at!"

 

She takes a step back like she's been struck and takes deep gulping breaths

 

              "Oh.  Oh my God, he said, said that! I think I'm going..."

 

              "With me now!"  Alice drags her out of the room.

 

              "Brian!  Is that.  Is that why you hit him, why the fuck didn't you say something!  I'm sorry if I had known!"  Mel cries.

 

Brian smiles a small smile

 

              "It's over, I'm marrying him and that's all that matter to me."

 

              "Like fuck is it!"  Daph snarls.  "He will pay, for every single fucking word he will pay!"

 

She guns down the brandy Drew pours for her and waves the glass for another.

 

              "Look what we need to do, if I may be so bold, is to let whatever they want to play out, play out.  We know they are doing something, so let's just see what it is."  Tucker suggests

 

              "I don't know and I also don't know why she's let him rent her parents' place."  Jennifer murmurs.

 

              "How did?"  Mel gasps.

 

              "The WASP network, nothing gets news around quicker."  Tucker chuckles.

 

              "How does he afford Shadyside even with a friends' discount it must be a pretty penny."  Ted asks

 

              "And then there's David."  Debs chimes in.

 

              "David?"  Brian asks he had been very quiet during this discussion, unnervingly so.

 

              "Yeah apparently, he's bisexual and his daughter is in the Pitts, in Shadyside to be precise.  Michael bumped into him and I think reacted in a very calm and rational way!"  She replies dryly.

 

There were gasps at this news.  The only people not to react were Zee and Faal.

 

              "You knew?"  I ask her.

 

              "About him being bisexual and the kid, yes, not where she was.  It was not our news to tell - no offence Debs you told in context of course."  Zee strokes her arm soothingly.

 

Through all this time, Ted was quiet.  I nudge Brian and nod at Ted.

 

              "Ted?"  Brian calls out.

 

              "Mmm?"

 

              "I can hear the wheels turning from over here."  He smirks.

 

              "You know you were right about me Mel." 

 

              "Right about what?"

 

              "When I was on crystal you were right in every way."

 

              "Okay thanks.  But not quite sure where you're going with this..." 

 

              "And also Tucker is right.  Let them do what they think, or more importantly Lindz thinks, they can get away with, just keep the backlash this side of legal please, and yes Daphne I am talking to you."

 

BLACK FRIDAY

 

DAPH'S ROOM

 

MEL

 

I've slept the best night's sleep in months not because of the comfy bed and the amount of booze but because I let go.  I just let go.

 

              "Mel?  You awake?"  Daph whispers.

 

              "Yes."

 

              "It's Black Friday today."  She turns to look at me with a mischievous smile on her face.

 

              "Okay."

 

              "So it wouldn't be totally unreasonable for those who are not helping milady to oh I don't know go shopping would it?"

 

I start to giggle knowing how much that would annoy Lindz...well hun welcome to my world!

 

              "After all you will need a new briefcase for your new job and all..."

 

              "An excellent idea!"

 

She sits up and then clambers out of bed and heads to the bathroom within minutes both she and Jenny are back in the bed. 

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

              "You do know this is going to be a disaster?  Lindz cooking I mean?"

 

He looks up at me and stills his fingers, which had been drawing nice patterns on my chest, I sniffle.

 

He chuckles and begins again.

 

              "Yep but it is going to be worth...hang on."

 

He reaches for his phone and then grins, when he shows it to me I get him to forward it to me.

 

              "Yes twat we're happy in the silences too, now stop the hamsters."  He mutters.

 

ZEE & FAAL'S ROOM

 

FAAL

 

Zee is still asleep sprawled across my body.  She had a long day yesterday and I am so proud of her, though do regret letting Emmy Lou have the cold mousse egg.  My phone goes and I chuckle.

 

              "Lig, wake up my darling."

 

I start to push the blanket down her body as soon as the cold air hits her eyes pop open.

 

              "This had better be good, my back is..."  She stops talking when she sees the text.

 

MEL & LINDZ'S ROOM

 

LINDZ

 

What the hell is that noise?  I want to shove Mel out of bed to check but find nothing but space on her side of the bed.

 

              "Good morning Lindz time to get up and cook!"  Faal's cheery voice comes through the door.

 

Well at least there's a silver lining to this day!

 

10 minutes later I head downstairs and I am greeted by expectant faces. 

 

              "Where's Alice?"  I murmur reaching for the coffee and still smarting from not having any last night.

 

              "At home having a lie in, she said that she will see us at breakfast.  She's left a couple of chickens and there's loads of veggies and other stuff."

 

Blake is awfully cheery for this early in the morning.

 

              "What about the food from yesterday, surely we can just heat that up for lunch?"

 

              "No, no, we can't.  It has to be fresh food."  Justin calls from the door.

 

              "Uh Lindz the machine."  Blake points behind me.

 

I hadn't noticed that the machine was still running when I pulled the jug out and now it is spreading over the counter.

 

              "Shit!"  I snap.

 

              "Fuck Lindz.  Marble, Italian marble that takes on stains!  Here!"  Justin throws a cloth at me.

 

              "Good morning troops, milady.  How are you all this morning, ready to serve the masses?"

 

I was all set to bitch him out but then I take in the sight of him. How the fuck did that bitch land him seriously!

 

              "Yes, let's go!"

 

If she thinks I am going to fail at this she's got another think coming.  I start giving instructions frying off bacon and soon the kitchen is a well-oiled machine of activity...and then it isn't.

 

For some reason the oven doesn't seem to want to come on.  No matter what button I press nothing happens.  I was all set to call Alice when Faal leans across me and flicks the switch on the plug.  I smile at him gratefully and put the bacon in there to warm. 

 

              "Okay I need you Blake to check how people want their eggs done." 

 

              "Are you sure you want to do that, wouldn't it be easier just to do an omelette or maybe no eggs at all?" 

 

I give him a look and he slinks off to ask the question, when he returns he is biting his lip.

 

              "What?"  I demand.

 

              "Three don't want any.  Four want scrambled - two wet and two dry.  Four want poached - soft set and three want boiled - one soft, one medium soft and one hard."

 

They are doing this on purpose, well I am not going to be beaten. 

 

              "Fine.  Not a problem.  Faal can you help me?" 

 

              "Sure.  Not a problem.  Lindz where are the rest of the eggs?"

 

              "What?"

 

              "Well for scrambled you need at least two per person, so we are short on eggs."

 

              "There are almost 16 eggs here how are we short?"

 

              "I was just looking forward to the apple cake that Mel raved about and I know you will need eggs for that.  I've never had apple cake before."   He sighs.

 

I pat him consolingly.

 

              "Maybe next time."  I murmur.

 

              "Oh wait found some!"  Matt calls out from the larder.

 

Of course you have I think to myself.  After about 2 hours breakfast is finally served.

 

              "Well dig in everyone this looks scrumptious."  I take my seat.

 

And then I taste the bacon.

 

              "Momma why does the bacon taste like this and why is it cold?"  Jenny asks.

 

              "Lindsay, why didn't you call me if you didn't understand the setting on the oven?"  Alice asks, pushing her plate away.

 

              "I understood the settings perfectly Alice thank you." 

 

              "Really.  Well it seems to me that you put the oven on clean."  She gets up and heads to the kitchen.

 

              "Well that's going to set you back timing wise.  I shall leave you instructions for the oven in the mud room just in case it isn't done by the time you want to start lunch.  You might want to consider a stew and a roast just as a back-up.  Well I'm going back to the cottage, call me when lunch is done."

 

With that she gets up and leaves.  I could've sworn I put the oven on warm!

 

The rest of breakfast is eaten in silence.

 

              "Hunter, Matt and Gus, you're on dishes."  I order.

 

              "But mom..."  Gus begins to whine.

 

              "The kids did the dishes yesterday so they are exempt today."   Carl reminds me.

 

I smile tightly at him and with the help of him, Blake and Ted start to clear.

 

An hour later we come out of the kitchen to find most of them milling by the door.

 

              "Where are you going?"  I ask Mel

 

              "Well since its Black Friday, Emmy Lou, Brian, Zee, Mel, Debs and I are going shopping.  Mel needs a new briefcase and I have got to get some more of those notebooks." 

 

Daphne murmurs checking the list in her hand.

 

              "I'm going to go to my studio to paint."  Justin replies and heads upstairs.

 

              "Need brushes?"  Brian calls out.

 

              "Oh yes please you know the ones you like.  And can you get the furballs some more catnip.  And that massage oil and honey dust."  He calls back.

 

              "Brushes, catnip, massage oil and honey dust added to the list."  Daphne shouts back.  "Now come on Vince is waiting!  Wait what's honey dust?"

 

              "I'll tell you in the car."  Brian smirks.

 

              "We."  Hunter begins indicating to Jenny, Gus, Matt and Ben.  "Are going to test my bike."

 

              "So what time should we be home for Lindz?"  Brian asks.

 

              "About three I guess." 

 

I mutter and head upstairs to shower this is going to be a long day.

 

CAR SERVICE

 

VINCE

 

              "Where to Mr K?  And up or down?"

 

              "The Diner.  I need to get some food in these ladies before they keel over.  Nobody can shop on an empty stomach!  And down please I am sure the ladies will want to converse."  I tell him.

 

              "Speaking of food, poor baby is going to be starving!"  Emmett shakes his head.

 

              "Oh no he'll be fine.  He'll just go to the cottage."  Mr K chuckles

 

              "Okay so spill what's honey dust?"  Daphne bounces in her seat.

 

              "Exactly what is says on the tin.  Edible body powder flavoured with honey.  Can you put 3 no make it 4 pots on your list."

 

When we get to the diner they ask if I want anything, I ask for a bacon sandwich and a coffee.  Mr K doesn't leave the car but does as for a French roast coffee.  He catches my frown.

 

              "Justin found this place up the road from that does great coffee.  Not even Mrs H drinks coffee here."

 

I nod and settle down to wait and thankfully there isn't too long, it's not that I am uncomfortable in Mr K's presence but I missed breakfast.

 

              "Oh this is good!"  Daphne moans round her bacon and egg sandwich.

 

              "Yeah I called ahead and Kiki had them on standby."  Mrs H cackles.

 

              "Right are we finished?"  Mr K asks having finished off the bacon sandwich he didn't want.

 

              "Hell yeah, I want this legendary BKE I have been hearing about!"  Zee smiles.

 

              "What's that?"  The brown haired lady asks

 

              "You don't know what the BKE is...uh..."  I realise I don't know her name.

 

              "I've just thought of something, Vince this is Mel and Mel this is Vince, she's Lindsay's wife, the blonde lady.  Please excuse me I thought you had been introduced."  Mr K is such a classy guy.

 

              "Nice to meet you and no I don't."

 

              "Oh honey you are in for a treat!"  Emmett cries.

 

FOUR HOURS LATER

 

CAR SERVICE

 

DAPHNE

 

              "Brian, Zee this is too much!  You've already got me..."

 

              "I'm not above using duct tape."  Zee warns with a big smile.

 

              "Okay, alright, these notebooks are going to last me my entire residency!"

 

              "Daph again duct tape."  Brian raises an eyebrow

 

              "Okay shutting up about that now.  So Debs who was that guy you were talking to?"

 

              "The leather bear oh that's Grizz, Carl's new friend, he's going to help me get a decent leather jacket for him."

 

              "Carl has a leather bear friend?"

 

              "Yes he met him when we went to Babylon."  Emmy Lou chuckles. 

 

I sat enthralled as they tell me all about Babylon and their PJTO the next day. 

 

              "Oh that's a point, you down for Christmas."  Zee asks.

 

              "Nah folks aren't here and besides..."

 

              "You clearly misheard me.  I said you're not you.  If you think I am going to let my fellow devil hellcat miss out on the show you can think again."

 

              "But..."

 

              "Private plane."  She shrugs.

 

              "Huh."

 

              "As in we have a.  Nothing will chap her lips more than having to share, especially when you will be wearing this!" 

 

She pulls out a dark green, suede coat, with a fur trim in a lighter green and fur lined.  I had been admiring and trying to justify it.  But then I got my sensible head on and reluctantly left it.

 

              "How did..."

 

              "It's not from just her, it's from all of us.  You've been Justin's rock for all of his life, you've been there for him through everything, you've been a constant supporter of their relationship and you will defend them to the end.  The least we can do is buy you a damn coat!"  Emmy Lou is sniffling.

 

              "When did you get it?"  I hiccup.

 

              "I spotted you looking at it a few times and then I could see you trying to work out the math.  Do you have tissues in here?"  Brian hands him a box.

 

              "So whilst you were getting the notebooks."  Debs brushes her tears from her face.  "Ems went and got it.  If it's not the correct size, let us know.  Okay honey?"

 

I take a deep swallow and then bawled like a baby on Mel's shoulder.