Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 54 - RONALD PETERSON...COMETH THE HOUR COMETH THE MAN?

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

LINDZ

 

We come in the room in silence.

 

                "What the hell just happened?"  Michael demands truculently.  "There is no fucking way I'm working as a fucking janitor!"

 

I sigh heavily and rub my temple; once I‘ve counted to 10 I smile sweetly at him.

 

                "Michael, have I ever steered you wrong?  The other things that have happened were because of lawyers and most likely corrupt judges, but have I, me, Lindsay, ever let you down?"

 

He shrugs and finally shakes his head.

 

                "Right, I know daddy and more importantly I know my mother.  Don't fret.  Now in the meantime, let's do what he suggests and have a thrill ride tonight.  I do believe champagne is called for, don't you?"

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE

 

NANCY

 

                "I can't believe you did that to our daughter!  Michael I could understand but not Lindsay.  She's never..."

 

He stares at me over the rim of his glass; before putting it down and steepling his fingers.

 

                "And I can't believe you are still trying to condone her behaviour.  She used her son - our grandson - as a pawn to get what she wanted.  But like I said to you, if you have a problem with it, you can join them. Feel free to stay at their hotel, in the spare room or even on the sofa, I don't care. They go to McCandless tomorrow."

 

MITCHAM'S RESIDENCE

 

PHIL

 

                "...and that's all I did I swear.  See I didn't break the law?"  Aunt Millie is looking imploringly at me.

 

I gape at her and shake my head.

 

                "So let me get this straight; you effectively got her fired.  Sent the DVD to the opposition.  And then prior to that ‘threatened' her mother with being blackballed by every realtor in the Pennsylvania area and made into a pariah if this shit didn't end and the bill wasn't paid promptly?  Is that what you're telling me?"

 

She looks embarrassed but defiant.

 

                "Well when you put it like that it does sound kind of bad.  But I was taking a leaf out of Zee's book and protecting what is mine and..."

 

                "Zee?"

 

                "Zaden, Zaden Ugerstacht, her friends...of which I am one...call her Zee.  So am I forgiven for my little intervention?"  She pleads

 

                "What tipped it for you?"  Gretchen asks.  "Phil won't tell me what they said."

 

"What they called his behaviour.... that from those low bellied..."  Aunt Millie smiles grimly.  "If he won't tell then I won't but believe you me their behaviour was more worthy of that word than his.  Now I have to have a word with my realtor. I have news to share."

 

BRITIN - SATURDAY MID-MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

                "So what do you think?  Would it work?"  I ask.

 

Luc, D, Justin, Daphne, Vince and the rest of the family, except the kids, Zee and Faal, are in the lounge.

 

                "He'll check on her straight away."  Luc is pacing but relaxed.

 

                "Cover story will be in place.  And she'll have the money to back it up."  Ted reassures him.

 

                "Lawyer wise, I have a friend back at Chase who will be happy to help."  Mel is in full shark mode and smirks.  "His dad has a private law firm we can get the paperwork sent there.  When's the next board meeting?"

 

                "Friday before the wedding."  Luc replies.  "What do you think D? I reckon he'll chase the money especially when it's delivered in such a beautiful package, with ‘revenge' on her mind."  He's smiling at her.

 

"Yep you're right. The man was always led by his cock and he'll do anything to upset Zee."  D looks at Daphne and grins.  "And you my dear are just the person to make him follow."

 

McCANDLESS APARTMENT BUILDING

 

RONALD

 

Both Lindsay and Nancy have been quiet on the way up here; Michael is following in his car.  I was surprised that Nancy decided to back me up on this especially after her histrionics last night.

 

                "Well here we are.  Let's go."

 

Lindsay smiles a little when she sees the apartment block. It is a lovely looking building and the apartments are lovely, light and airy.  They take their cases out and we head inside.

 

                "Oh it's lovely daddy.  Where are we going to be staying?"

 

I lead them through the corridor out to the back of the building and down a path to a walled off area.  I unlock the gate and Lindsay gasps at the small neatly appointed garden.  I let them into a bungalow, it's a 3 bedroom and comes furnished.  It's bigger than Shadyside and has, if I'm honest, better furniture than what Nancy supplied.

 

                "This?  We're staying here?"  Lindsay beams at me.  "Not that I'm complaining but why not have us stay in the building itself?"

 

                "This affords you a bit of privacy darling."  Nancy pats her on the arm.  "You will need that when you start looking after the building, or they will be hammering on your door all the time.  They have to buzz the gate to be let in here.  What do you think Michael, isn't it lovely?"

 

He jerkily nods his head and looks round. He's brooding still but I don't care.

 

Lindsay has managed to convince me, despite what I said last night, to pay for their appeals saying that they will win.  I'm going to try to get Chase, Donaldson & Draper to take these on.  It's a shame to lose Mitcham but he was adamant that the retainer be terminated.

 

The only reason I'm helping Michael is because Jenny is Gus's sister and Lindsay doesn't want them to be split up.  But she's reassured me that he will pay me back his part of the law fees once this is all over.

 

                "Well I'll leave you to get settled."  I smile at them feeling good about this arrangement.  "I'll be back on Tuesday so we can go over the contracts and I'll let you know who the lawyers will be.  Take the time to look around the area and get the lay of the land.  Oh and there is a storage lock up you can use in the basement of the block for the stuff you currently have in storage.  Bye darling, Michael...Nancy I will see you in the car."

 

NANCY

 

I smile at Ron and watch him leave; before turning swiftly to them.

 

                "Listen, leave your father to me.  I'm not being bested by that group of people."  Lindsay smiles and nods and for the first time so does Michael.   "Just do as he says for now. You'll be back where you belong in no time.  Bye take care and remember just do as he says for now."

 

RONALD

 

As we drive back home, I pat Nancy's hand, she smiles back at me.  I know she's planning something; she's too agreeable. Time for me to take a leaf out of the WASP manual and have my back up plan in place.

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

ALICE

 

                "So what are you doing for the wedding breakfast?"  I ask D.  "Since I'm going to be helping I think I should know."

 

She chuckles and pulls out a notebook, just as she's about to open it Justin comes in.

 

                "Your arrival was purely coincidental I'm sure," She drawls.  "You do know you cast a shadow if you listen on the left side of the door?"

 

                "I was uh, just leaning... to tie my shoelace that's all," He mumbles

 

                "That must have been why it took you so long. You know... tying up the invisible laces."  She starts to lead him out again.  "Now how many times do I have to tell you? You ain't finding out until the day before.  I've got a list of dos and don'ts and I taught Zee to cook.  Now go and when Emmy Lou comes tell him not to come in either."

 

She closes the door behind him and then shows me the ideas she has.

 

                "You're not actually going to put that on the menu?!"  I gasp at the wording and then pause.  "Oh on second thoughts they'll love it!"

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

I'm trying to kiss away the pout Justin is currently sporting.

 

                "Justin you know she won't do anything bad. Now stop being a princess."

 

                "It's not just that but they won't even tell me what we're having for lunch.  At least Zee gives us an idea."

 

I'm trying so hard not to laugh at the affronted expression on his face and then it hits me we're getting married in 2 weeks; we go to NYC next weekend and then married after that.  Emmy Lou has just been letting us know bits and pieces and we trust him implicitly. We've been allowed to choose 3 of each thing but it will be a surprise on the day.

 

                "Just hit you hasn't it?"  He smiles at me.  "I can't believe how much control you've given them."

 

                "I know it's making me itch a bit but I'm trying really hard."

 

He wiggles in my lap before sliding down to the floor and attacking my pants.

 

                "Speaking of hard."

 

I give a moan of pleasure as he swallows me whole.

 

COACH SERVICE TO BRITIN

 

FAAL

 

It took a bit of persuading but I managed to get her to keep the mini coach we used to ferry us to and from the courthouse. It's a lot better than individual cars although we had to go one size up to fit all the animals in as well.   The kids are looking so happy and relaxed and Jenny keeps practising her flicking. She's been showing Hank how to do it, I think Ben is regretting saying she could try it.

 

There is something different about him and Steve. I can't put my finger on it nor can I work out what's happened between Mel and Leda.   Maybe it's just plain happiness.

 

Zee, on the other hand is brooding. I think she's worrying about the ice rock incident. If Mitcham does show it to him then, he could come at her for millions.  It's not often she loses control but what he said was, in his words, cuntish.

 

Jennifer's another story today. She's been on the phone most of the journey and now she's got an enigmatic smile on her face.

 

                "Hey guys come on in."  Justin beams at us as he opens the door.  Emmy Lou comes to a halt outside the closed kitchen door and frowns at him.  "Wedding breakfast discussions.  You're not allowed in either."

 

Debs is getting back to her happier self and immediately bustles to the kitchen knocks twice and is let in, much to the chagrin of Emmy Lou and Justin.  The grown-ups and cats head to the lounge and the kids and dogs immediately head out back to work up an appetite.

 

                "Aunt Zee remember your promise!"  Jenny calls out as she disappears with them.

 

                "Yeah sure sweetheart!"  She calls back then turns to smile at Ben.  "Here's hoping that Hank distracts her enough to forget about it!"

 

                "Fingers crossed."  He chuckles

 

Debs, Alice and Aunt D join us in the lounge with trays of bubbles and some canapés.

 

                "So we have crab quail scotch eggs; beef yakitori bites and bruschetta with peas, artichoke and pistachio pesto."  Aunt Dee smiles and winks at Jennifer.  "So come on dish it up."

 

Jennifer smooths down her skirt and clears her throat.

 

                "How did...never mind.  Well I have a bit of news about our pests and their lawyer.  Dad's shipped them off to McCandless to be the apartment manager and janitor of their building complex there.  Unfortunately, they seem to have landed on their feet again. It comes with a bungalow at the back so they will most likely live there and daddy will most likely be paying their living expenses until he sees the light."

 

                "Oh for crying out loud!"  Charles grumbles.   

 

"Yes that was my first thought, but from what Millie's heard it seems Ronald is more than a little fed up with Nancy and her social climbing pretentiousness.  And of course their behaviour meant that Mitcham cancelled the retainer with the Petersons so they are going to be looking for a new law firm."

 

At this Uncle Luc looks up and then heaves a sigh of relief as does Aunt Dee.

 

                "Which means my dear Zee..."  She pauses and waits for Zee to look at her.  "That his broken nose will go down as a complete mystery never to be solved."

 

Zee slowly begins to smile and then grin and then knocks back her champagne in relief.

 

                "Next time take a step back..."  Uncle Luc chides her

 

                "I did...how do you think I got the perfect angle?"  She chortles.  "Yes I know what you mean but what he said just...won't happen again."   She reassures him.

 

The gloomy mood is immediately lifted and we start to relax.

 

                "Won't he be in default soon?"  Blake suddenly asks.  "Not that I'm telling you how to do your job honey but won't he?"

 

Ted nods happily and finishes off another scotch egg, Justin moves the tray away from him, narrowing his eyes.

 

                "Yep and the action as per the agreement starts tomorrow."

 

                "Action and what agreement?  Ted have you been being Machiavellian again?"  Brian smiles

 

                "Well, once he decided to just reduce his payments without discussion, I sent him a revised agreement that if he defaults all future payments will be taken directly from any income he is paid."

 

                "But all he has to do is get cash in hand and he still won't pay us the money back."  Justin points out.

 

                "Yeah I thought of that.  He gets cash in hand he will put it in a bank account.  He's too nervy to have more than $100 lying about.  The moment he does we take it from him, there is no way he's not paying this back.  No matter how long it takes him."

 

                "How the hell did you get him to agree to that?"  I ask taking a sip of champagne.  "About the direct payments I mean."

 

                "I didn't, I just know Michael. He sees what he wants to see and judging by the speed he sent it back agreeing to it, he didn't read the agreement.   Oh well never mind."

 

Justin hops up and kisses Ted on his head.

 

ZEE

 

                "Actually as you're up.  You two come with me."

 

I lead them to the study and smile as I hand them over their boxes.

 

                "You're kidding they're done?"  Justin is bouncing up and down.  "Can we open them now?"

 

I shake my head and chuckle as they open them and then swap them over to look them over.  Brian has a wolfish expression on his face and waggles his eyebrows.

 

                "Okay hand them back."  I tell them.

 

                "What!"  Justin demands.  "Why but you've just given them to us!"

 

                "I did shake my head no Justin.  And like I said they are for your New York weekend and not before, I just wanted you to see the almost finished product."

 

Brian looks crushed and then tries to use the death glare on me.

 

                "What else do you need to do to them, they looks great.  Please let us keep them now!"  Justin is looking like he's going to cry.  "They're perfect the way they are!"

 

                "Well they can be used hot or cold obviously, but I need to add the glaze for a smooth ride.  Then there's the plugs, I've just used the heads of both of you and they're almost done, an extra present for you.  They're about 4 inches long and are remote controlled.  They will be ready by Friday, so what would be the range?"

 

                "Range?"  Justin's eyes start to glaze over as he looks lustily at Brian.  "What do you think?"

 

                "I think Zee needs to leave very quickly and take those with her. We can wait for next weekend."

 

I snort and leave them to it.

 

                "They're going to be a while."  I stick my head in the lounge and smile as no one bats an eyelid.  "I'm going to find Jenny.  Alice you got any tin cans?"

 

She nods and Ben and I follow her to the kitchen.  We manage to get six of them and head to the garden and find Jenny and Hank playing with the dogs.

 

                "Oh well worth a try."  I mutter.  "You ready missie?"

 

She nods excitedly and we line the cans up on the wall.  I hunt round for some suitable stones and we find a handful and before long there is a spirited competition going on between her and Hank.

 

"I knew it I knew this would happen."  Ben grumbles.  "Come on Jenny, Hank that's enough now."

 

                "Actually you know what?"  Carl comes down the steps.  "How about you teach me how to do that too?"

 

                "What about boys against girls?"  Leda grins.  "Losers wash up the dishes by hand."

 

                "Done.  Everyone gets to practice and then the games begin."  Faal agrees smugly.

 

After dinner, the boys washed up.

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - MONDAY MORNING

 

OFFICE

 

RONALD

 

                "Yes I wonder if you could help me, my name is Ronald Peterson and I would like to retain your services for some appeals that need to be undertaken and for you to go over my personal papers.  You can see us that's great, what time.  Okay see you at three.  Thank you very much."

 

I go to find Nancy who is in the lounge.

 

                "Appointment is at three this afternoon, are you ready for this?"

 

                "Yes darling, you know this is the right thing to do.  White & Sullivan may be the best but clearly they've got where they are by bullying and most likely buying judges as Lindsay said.  Let me get my coat and we'll have lunch before we go."

 

SQUIRREL HILL RESIDENCE - EARLY EVENING

 

MEL

 

                "You found it okay then!"  I pull Ephraim into my arms and then into the kitchen.  "You look great!  Ephie this is Leda, Leda this is Ephraim, or as I call him, Ephie."

 

                "Ooh now you are a fine drink of water."  Ephie looks her up and down and then at me.  "Have you started to sip yet?"

 

                "Wine!  Who wants wine?"  I almost squeal.

 

        "Mmmm...avoidance 101, don't worry I'll find out.  So congratulations on your victories, well deserved I might add.  Nothing like dead weight to drag a girl down.  Now come show me these beautiful clothes you were telling me about, guess who came to see us today?"

 

                "I don't know.  Come on they're down here."  I lead him to the basement where the walk in is with happily no locks on the wardrobe and I don't mind if Leda wears my clothes.  "Anyone I know?"

 

He sighs as he thumbs his way through the hangers.

 

                "Ephie come out of your wardrobe lust and answer the question, anyone I know?"

 

                "You ex's parents and it seems they are wanting to use Chase, Donaldson and Draper as their appeal lawyers."

 

My heart sinks.

 

                "Fuck they're really going to appeal these rulings?"

 

                "Seems so, but don't get disheartened...they'll be throwing bad money after bad.  And besides we turned them down.  You know the reputation of attorneys round here. If you lose against Blueblood and Dump Truck and then we turn down the appeal, nobody in this city is going to touch you.  Nobody.  Now tell me about New York."