Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 53 - A MOMENT'S RESPITE...WELL FOR SOME ANYWAY

 

JENNY

 

                "Jeez mom, dad there's no need to...shout.  Wow you're my mom and dad," I breathe slowly.

 

                "They always have been honey."  Uncle Steve smiles gently.

 

                "I know but officially... that bit of paper says it officially.  You're mine and I'm no longer his or hers."

 

I look at grandma when I say this and she's quiet and I can see she's sad, so I get up and give her a squeeze.

 

"And I have a wonderful grandma called Debbie Horvath who I love to the sky and back again and I will never ever stop loving."

 

She pats me on the arm and clears her throat.  I can tell Grandma is trying to control herself so she changes the subject.

 

"So explain this ice rock to me?"

 

Uncle Faal leaves the room chuckling and comes back a few minutes later and hands grandma a smooth colourless pebble.

 

"Wow that has some weight on it. How did you throw that and nobody notice?"

 

She hands it round the room, Uncle Faal patiently waits for me to give it back.

 

"Spoilsport."  I mutter as I reluctantly hand it back to him with a slight grin.

 

                "So how did you do it?"  Uncle Justin asks.

 

Aunt Zee huffs and then sighs.  She can tell that none of us are going to let this go until she tells us.  Resigned she says,

 

"Okay, Justin you were here; Faal, you were just behind Justin on his right and Brian you were to Justin's left. Menno you be Michael..." He frowns at her briefly but she shrugs it off. "Let's call it payback for not telling me you were coming. So you boys ready?"

 

Everyone is watching.

 

                "Ready?"  She nods

 

                "Yip."  Menno nods back; after a couple of minutes we wait.

 

                "Well throw it then."  Gus demands.

 

Matt and Uncle Faal are laughing as Menno holds the stone in his hand.

 

                "How did..."  Carl gasps.  "No...you must have two."

 

                "No she really does throw that quickly. It's another thing I hate about her."

 

                "Come on Aunt Zee, you've got to show me!"  I plead.  "I won't use an actual stone just show me how to throw quickly!"

 

She looks at mom and dad...mom and dad so cool to say about those two...and they nod.  

 

                "Okay, first three fingers down, but not all the way, make a U shape, with your index finger and thumb, turn it so its flat, like skimming stones, and flick your wrist." She shows me her hand and I copy and then flick.

 

                "No, no, sweetheart, you're wrist is too loose. Flick like...hang on...put your hand up and flick your finger against it. No do it as hard as you can. Flick your wrist like that."

 

Pretty soon I'm flicking my wrist back like a pro and look imploringly at dad.

 

                "One throw and that's it," he says, sternness and resignation in his voice.  

 

"Yes!"  I can't help but be excited by this.

 

"But not until the weekend, you are much too hyper right now."

 

I nod and grin my agreement.

 

                "So Mel, what can you tell me about Solomon?"  Menno asks.

 

                "I know nothing. You'd best ask Brian."  

 

                "Well if he's anything like his cousin, and I'm going from memory, you'd be a fool to say no."

 

                "I concur!"  Auntie Ems waves his glass at him much to Uncle Drew's annoyance

 

                "Hang on...hold up!  You're gay?"  Uncle Tucker stutters in shock.

 

                "Yep, 10 inches cut, 3 across, Top but willing to bottom for the right guy." For a few minutes nobody says a word. "Too much?"  He asks

 

                "Just a tad."  Grandmom Jen mumbles.

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL A&E

 

MICHAEL

 

                "Novotny!"  I stand up gingerly and make my way towards her.  "What happened to you?"  The doctor asks me.

 

                "Thomeone broth my dose."  I mutter trying not to roll my eyes.

 

                "Uh huh and what did they hit you with?"  

 

                "Fith or thomething, ouwch for thucck thake be careful!" I wince and try not to cry as she manipulates the bones in my nose.

 

                "Well, you're going to have a bump when it's healed. How don't you know what they hit you with?  Didn't you see it?"

 

I roll my eyes at her. "If I thaw it, owww!"

 

                "Well, this is the best I can do..."

 

                "Bump, you thaid bump? I don't want a bump."  

 

                "Well we don't always get what we want now do we?  Right, so take painkillers when you need to but those eyes are going to be bad."

 

                "Okay, gwot it?  Can I leath now?"  I demand.

 

                "Please do," she replies tersely.

 

DOCTOR

 

                "Shame they didn't hit you in the damn mouth so I could wire it shut!"  I mutter to myself.  "Back to the grindstone...Collins!"

 

OUTSIDE ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL

 

MICHAEL

 

                "Lindz, I'm at the hothpidal, someone bwoke my dose.  Waiting for a cab.  Thee you thoon."  I hope and pray that it isn't a bumpy ride back to the hotel and mercifully it wasn't too bad.

 

                "Mr. Novotny are you okay?"  The receptionist calls out.

 

                "Mmm, need to thleep, will be fine," I mumble stumbling slightly

 

                "Jesus Christ Michael what happened?!  Did Justin do this or was it Zee?  You know, she's hurt you before." Lindz helps me to sit down and calls down for some ice. "Oh that looks really bad. Do you want a mirror?" She asks hesitantly.

 

I might as well look now and when I do I want to scream. But anything that involves much movement of my face hurts too much. My eyes are starting to blacken and soon I will look like a panda. The splint is stark against my skin and all in all I look hideous.

 

                "Get some sleep. Since we've got a day off tomorrow, we need to strategize and the like. We might be able to find a video of what happened; surprise them like they surprised us."

 

I give her the thumbs up and make my way to bed. That blond and that bitch are going to pay and pay hard!

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN - EARLY EVENING

 

SOLOMON

 

                "Blueblood you got a minute?" I can hear him scoffing at the nickname and the clink of glasses.

 

                "What's up...Dump Truck?"

 

                "Hah!  Okay so we won the emancipation hearing and they are good as done but idiot boy got his nose broken..."

 

                "Aw fuck who the hell hit him? Can you plead mitigating circumstances?!"

 

I chuckle at his level of sympathy for the fool. "That's the thing, we don't know."  I sigh

 

                "Okay explain," he orders.

 

I put the disc in I got from the corridor and it clearly shows us all standing there and then we start to approach.  He says something to Justin and then finally he hits the ground.

 

                "This is the only angle?" He takes a swig of his drink and frowns.

 

                "Yep."

 

                "Show this to Mitcham?"

 

                "Not yet.  But will have a copy ready for the inevitable lawsuit that cockroach client of his is going to go try to file."

 

                "Slow it down for me."  He settles next to me as I hit play again.

 

We watch it three times and there is nothing that shows that any of them moved before Novotny went crashing to the floor.

 

                "Wait let me take it back two steps...well I'll be, you see it?"  I ask grinning.

 

                "Yep, think he will?"

 

                "Depends on how forgiving he is of being called cuntish, but as Malcolm said earlier...damn!"

 

SQUIRREL HILL - THURSDAY MORNING

 

GUS

 

                "Mom, Aunt Leda!"

 

Mom stumbles in first. Seems they celebrated well into the night as she has what J likes to call her ‘hanging-face' on. I try not to laugh as she tries and fails to get a mug down.

 

"Mom let me do it."  I grab a mug and pour and make sure she takes few sips before I continue. "We're going to go see grandma and grandma, spend some time with her just us, so we'll be back this evening around seven."

 

"Mmm great idea and remember you're at Britin this weekend too, we'll come up on Sunday for lunch.  Leda...ouch!  Leda, can you bring Advil?"

 

Aunt Leda looks the same as mom but has slightly better co-ordination; she hands over the Advil and then water and they both just grin at each other.  Wonder what that's about?

 

                "J come on!"  I shout up.

 

                "Gus, please!"  Mom whimpers

 

J thunders down as usual. Mom flinches with every step and I try not to smirk.

 

                "We're going to take Butch and Sundance with us. Grandpa's here and we can take them up Liberty Avenue so they can get used to lots and lots of people."

 

Aunt Leda nods. The boys are used to ‘country' life and don't see a lot of people round here, so this should be a good experience for them and they've not seen the Brownstone either.  The boys are excited and we just about manage to get them in the car at the first attempt.

 

                "How's grandma really?"  I ask. "Do you think she means what she said about him?"

 

Grandpa looks quickly at us before his eyes lock on the road. "She's hurting and I'm not going to lie but yes, I think she means it this time.  I don't think she's ever seen him like that."

 

                "He, I mean they, just didn't seem to care about anything other than what they wanted. We were a means to an end for them. Weren't we?"

 

                "Sometimes Jenny, no matter how much someone loves someone they just love someone else more and when..."

 

                "Grandpa, can we use actual names since it can't hurt any more than it already did?"  J asks sadly and I give her hand a squeeze.

 

                "Okay, Lindsay and Michael do love you both, no matter what they do, but they love Brian more.  Not for who he is now but for who he was when they met him and in Michael's case grew up with.  They could go about living their lives as long as he was living the life they wanted him to and he was but then along comes Justin.  He did the one thing they wouldn't..."

 

                "Love him unconditionally."  J decrees.

 

                "Exactly.  And now he's pulled his head out of his ass and realised that, he loves Justin back but twice as much."  Grandpa smiles at her, she's got this grin on her face.  "So when you next seeing Hank?"  

 

She goes pink and mumbles something and finds outside the car very interesting.

 

                "What was that?  I didn't hear you?"  Grandpa and I exchange smirks.

 

                "Seeing him tomorrow...and that's all you're getting."

 

MITCHAM & HARE

 

PHIL

 

I'm staring at him and really trying very hard not to laugh.  As Melody was closing the door I could hear her splutter. She tried to mask it as a cough but I don't think anyone was fooled.

 

                "So Michael, what happened to you?"

 

                "Either Boy Wonder or one of the Ugerstacht clan hit me."

 

                "There must be camera in that corridor so you could see what happened. I bet it was Zee. Justin wouldn't want to ruin his hand, for his art I mean."  Lindsay's hectoring voice is not what I want to hear right now. "So we're going to be appealing the emancipation result and taking the judge to the..."

 

                "You could do that," I interrupt her flow of entitlement. "The emancipation can be appealed but you would just be throwing bad money after bad.  Once Gus is 18, he is not going to have anything to do with you anyway and the same for Jenny so why do it?"

 

                "They have to pay for what they did to me!  And as for the kids they are ours and need to be with us!"  He exclaims and then winces in pain.

 

                "Fine, I will ask for a copy of the recording and we'll see what we can do."  I rub my temple and hope that this is going to be a quick meeting. "Now with regards to the dissolution of your civil partnership Lindsay, uh do you mind Michael being here?"

 

She shakes her head and I sigh. I was also hoping to do this without his input.

 

                "Well from the documents we have, it's pretty much cut and dried.  There is evidence, via this video, of your infidelity and..."

 

                "What about hers?  She cheated too..."

 

                "Yes but that was when Gus was born and she's been faithful ever since and..."

 

                "But now she's hooked up with her leather queen loathsome Leda..."

 

                "Which again, if it is true, was after you two separated. There is no evidence that you have brought me to say that they were having an affair before that.

 

                "It's a gut feeling.  You had the same feeling didn't you Michael about Ben and Steve?"

 

                "A gut feeling is not admissible in court." They both look at me in surprise at my tone.

 

                "Fine, but when I go on the stand I will make sure the court knows about my gut feeling."

 

                "And I think we should appeal the emancipation hearing result and the physical custody. In fact, everything that has gone against us we should appeal and make sure that bitch and the other judge aren't over whatever the word is..."

 

                "Presiding and did you actually listen to what I said?  You are going to lose them anyway no matter what happens in court but it's your call I can put the paperwork in."

 

                "Good do it.  Now tomorrow, what time is the hearing?"  Lindsay asks.  "I know it's in the afternoon but not sure when."

 

                "It's at two, but I can get it moved to the morning if you prefer?"

 

                "No I've been offered a beauty appointment and I wanted to allow enough time for it to be done.  See you tomorrow."

 

                "Yeah see you."  I sigh in relief at the mercifully brief meeting and as they leave I mutter.  "So glad you've got your priorities sorted out."

 

                "Did you say something?"  Lindsay pops her head back in.

 

                "No nothing you'd need pay attention to.  Have a good day Ms Peterson."

 

She smiles at me and closes the door. Two minutes later there's a knock and my heart sinks.

 

                "Yes?"

 

                "I know it's too early for Johnny or Jim."  Melody begins sitting opposite.  "But I thought you might like to laugh now, he looks like a fucking panda.  A skinned one."

 

LIBERTY AVENUE - LUNCH TIME

 

JENNY

 

Butch doesn't know where to look or sniff first.  He's so excited, it's taken 15 minutes to walk one block and according to Gus, Sundance is no better.  

 

                "Come on Butch. Dammit will you come!"

 

                "Heel!"  A rich voice comes behind me and I almost squeal with fright.  

 

                "Uncle Brian! Don't do that!" I punch him in the arm. "What are you doing down here?"  I tuck my arm into his.  

 

                "Lunch. Seems there's a tasting at E&ZHoD and I've sent to get samples.  What you doing with Butch?"

 

                "Getting them acclimated to Liberty Avenue. Gus has Sundance coming up the other end."

 

                "Ah I see. Thought you were spending the day with grandma?"  He furrows his brow at me.  "You seem to be grandma-less."

 

                "She's in the diner talking to Kiki but will be right out, Grandpa is with Gus."

 

                "Hey honey!  What are you doing here?"  Grandma calls out when she sees us.

 

                "Sample sale at E&ZHoD, you coming?"  He gives her a kiss and a hug.

 

                "Uh no just want to spend it with my grandkids."

 

He untangles my arm and kisses her forehead. "No problem, ma, actually I see that son of mine.  Mine...so great to say and it be true." He strides across the road and we watch the moment Gus spots him; you could hear the call from the moon.

 

GUS

 

                "Dad!"  I fling my arms round him.  "What are you doing here, oh wait let me guess tasting sale at E&ZHoD and papa sent you?"

 

                "Indeed.  Hey Carl.  How's Sundance taking Liberty Avenue?"

 

                "I thought he would be a lot calmer than Butch. J's been bitching that he stops for everything. Sundance is worse and we've not passed the butchers yet.  Are you in this evening? I need to talk to you, well you and papa about something."

 

                "Sure anytime you want just call.  Later sonny boy."

 

                "Later dad.

 

E&ZHoD

 

BRIAN

 

It's busy, but it always is when they have a tasting day.  Zee had a brilliant idea.  She got the emails of every receptionist in the art district and some of theatreland and would just email them on the day first thing. Of course she would copy Justin in, but he's painting, so here I am.

 

                "Hey Brian!"

 

                "You're remarkably perky for someone who was on whisky all night."

 

                "The healing powers of Advil, a Bloody Mary and a bacon, egg and avocado bagel with sriracha."

 

                "Where'd you get that from... the bagel I mean, was it from the diner?"  My mouth is beginning to water.  "I could really..."

 

                "Here. I got a call from fiancé. Seems you didn't eat before you left." He hands me the bagel and a cup of coffee. "Sumatra."  He replies when I raise an eyebrow.

 

Zee comes in grinning at me and hands me a cool box.

 

"So we have new profiteroles with confited salmon finely chopped not a mousse, which we are not repeat not telling Faal or Drew about.  Vegetable couscous as in the grains is vegetable...broccoli, cauliflower, romesco cauliflower with a roasted lemon, garlic and herb dressing.  Lamb breast porchetta.  Brie and beef sliders with beetroot jam...those need to be assembled...and finally a citrus brined roast chicken with..."

 

                "Jesus little one who you feeding?!"

 

She stares in shock at Uncle Luc and a grinning Aunt D, before turning to look at us. Emmy Lou and I feign ignorance.  

 

                "Hope there's room for one more?"  Daphne pipes up popping up from behind them.

 

                "Now we know you are busy, so we're taking this fine gentleman back to Britin so that we can feast on this wonderful food. We're staying there and fly back on Monday morning. You and Faal have had enough visitors and you've done enough...now come give us hugs and we see you on Sunday."  Uncle Luc demands.

 

She stumbles towards them trying to hold back tears, Emmy Lou was not so successful.

 

                "See you Sunday."  She calls out.

 

UNCLE LUC

 

                "So what's so damn important that you made us fly all the way out here?" He demands as he gets in the car.  "Any of that ready to eat now?"  He looks hopeful.  

 

                "I have an idea about her dad but we need to keep her occupied so that she doesn't suspect anything."

 

                "Honey she's a Stark; she'll smell a plot a mile away." Aunt D helps herself to a profiterole. "Those are damn good, only one you're watching your cholesterol Luc."

 

"Which is where you and the wedding breakfast come in.  And of course, don't think I haven't noticed she's not got her revenge on Lindsay, I'm sure you can help with that too. You know...give her the odd idea?"  I beam at her.

 

                "Oh that I can do."  She beams back.  "I can bitch slap from way back."

 

BRITIN

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I will be beyond pissed if he's started to eat anything in there.  Emmy Lou told me what she was sending. If there's anything missing, no rimming for him, which is why I made sure he had a bagel waiting for him when he got there. I hear the front door go and rush to greet him and skid to a halt.

 

                "Just check the damn bag!"  Daph grumps.  "I'm going to put my stuff away anyway."  

 

I beam at her and quickly hug Luc and D, then I narrow my eyes at him. He looks suspiciously happy.  

 

                "One.  We had one each, and no I don't feel remotely guilty!"  He chuckles kissing my pout away.  "And yes the rest are yours."

 

                "Of what.  Not the sliders?"  I plead.

 

                "Profiteroles.  And no revenge tattle-telling because of it."  

 

I kiss him back and nod. That's okay because there's a few of them. The sliders I knew there were only 7 and I'm hoping that I can get his.  

 

                "Well are we going to plate up or not?" Alice interrupts my thoughts. "We've got to get this down pat so that everyone knows what they are doing."

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - EARLY EVENING

 

RONALD

 

                "Ronald Peterson speaking.  Oh hello Phil, how are you or dare I ask?"

 

Out of the corner of my eye I see Nancy stiffen. She had refused to come to Canada with us even though she knows the extent of Lindsay's deception. Yes, it is deception no matter how Nancy wants to sugar coat it by saying she was just making sure she has back up.  

 

                "I see, well thank you for that. I appreciate the call. Have a good evening." I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh.  

 

                "What's happening?"  Nancy asks, pouring a drink but not offering me one.  "What did Phil have to say?"

 

                "The last case is coming up tomorrow and they are appealing everything that they lost."  I pour myself a drink and then another.  "And I have a made a decision, make sure that they are both here tomorrow night."

 

BRITIN - EARLY EVENING

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

                "Hey sonny boy, we're both here, what's up?"

 

There's a silence, which could only mean one thing, he wants to talk about mushy stuff.

 

                "So this Phil kid, you kissed him yet?  Or has he tried to kiss you?"  I ask to get this rolling.  "Need condom help?"

 

                "Dad!  Jeez I thought Menno had no filter."  He grumbles

 

                "So has he?"  Justin asks wriggling in my lap as he has another profiterole and then scoops out the filling of the next one and feeds it to me.  "And did you like it?"

 

                "Yeah we've kissed and..."

 

                "And?  Gus you know you're part Kinney, well mostly Kinney can you cut to the chase?"  I ask, slowly licking the confit of salmon of Justin's fingers.  "Because I really want to ‘talk' to your papa."

 

                "Oh god I'll speak to you two on Saturday, it will be better face to face...you guys go talk!"

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM 6

 

PHIL

 

As of this afternoon, I never have to deal with them again, I smile as I watch them approach.

 

                "Mr Mitcham we're here!"

 

She and Novotny are striding down the corridor, her in her best outfit and he's looking like a comic book geek, jeez this man has no concept!  You turn up in a suit no matter what.  Just because you're not going to take the stand it doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort and show the court some manners.

 

                "Right shall we."  I sigh.

 

                "Yes onward and upwards to victory."  She crows stalking in.

 

I follow them in and smile now for me to be as they said...cuntish.  We find just Malcolm and Judge Milner.  I avoid eye contact with Malcolm.

 

                "Ah you're here, great let's get this over with."  Judge Milner says brusquely.

 

                "I see they're running a little late."  She simpers smugly.

 

                "Late Ms Peterson, no they are not late.  This is a simple explanation from me to you as to why your civil union to Ms Marcus is being dissolved there is no need for them to attend.  They were going to but when I read the paperwork this morning, I didn't think their attendance was necessary.  The court tried to call Mr Mitcham but he was in another hearing so I apologise for that."

 

She looks at me in confusion.

 

                "You had a hair appointment I was defending a mother who stabbed her abusive husband."

 

                "So the dissolution of the civil partnership of Melanie Marcus and Lindsay Peterson is hereby granted on the grounds of the infidelity and unreasonable behaviour of Lindsay Peterson."

 

                "But...but I have evidence and I want to request support..."

 

                "Okay evidence of what and support for why Ms Peterson?"   Judge Milner sighs.

 

                "Her affair and..."

 

                "There is no evidence of an affair, apart from yours, and the person to support you is you, by getting a job and moving on with your life.  I hope you can find a happy place Ms Peterson, Mr Novotny.  Good day."

 

He slams down his gavel and leaves.

 

                "Bye now.  You know the way out."  Malcolm coos and he too leaves

 

Just as he does my phone beeps and it's from Melody; I read it and smile in relief.

 

                "Well that was fun.  Good day to you too Ms Peterson, Mr Novotny.   I can safely say I regret the day I ever took your call.  You're without doubt the most conceited, miserable excuses for parents, partners and friends I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.  You and I are done, finished, finito, I will get a restraining order on your asses if you so much as call or come near my offices or my home again"

 

                "What?  But you're our lawyer we have appeals to process!"  Novotny blusters.

 

                "No and find someone else to inflict your toxicity on."

 

                "You forget Mr Mitcham that your bills are still to be paid."  Lindsay sneers.  "And there's that little matter of the bar association complaint that..."

 

                "Seriously, are you seriously threatening a lawyer in a court of law?  Girl how dumb are you?"  Malcolm stands there arms folded.  "Phil you need me to make a statement, anything as a witness?

 

I smile at him, he's one of the sweetest guys.

 

                "No Mal, its fine that would only lead to more time in their odious company.  The bill has been settled Ms Peterson.  And we're done."

 

With my head held high I walk out all I hear is Malcolm's tisking.

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - EARLY EVENING

 

DEPARTURE LOUNGE BAR

 

SOLOMON

 

                "So Aruba is nice this time of year?" 

 

I turn and find myself facing Menno, who has one bag and grin on his face.

 

                "So I hear is that where you're going?"  I grin back

 

                "Mmm, now if you could accompany me back to the check in desk we can talk about an upgrade."

 

                "You walk in front, I want to see what I'm getting."  I purr.

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE

 

LOUNGE

 

RONALD

 

Nancy is tense but I don't care.  She's been asking me all day what I'm going to say to them but there was no way I was letting her know.  I've been speaking to Arnold and Harold as we all know that the true WASPS are the ladies in our society, we just smile and nod and pay the bills.  They said that a firm and quiet tone is called for and more importantly don't back down.  And I've been guilty of that for years.  Well no more.  Ah there's the door.  Lindsay looks her immaculate self and he looks like he's been in a prize fight.

 

                "Daddy, is everything okay?"  Lindsay looks worried...good

 

                "Let's have a seat.  Drinks?  Nancy I'll have a brandy." 

 

                "Oh same for me please mother.  Michael?"

 

                "Do you have any Beam, Brian likes beam and I've acquired a taste for it."

 

Nancy sits next to Lindsay and takes her hand.

 

                "Well I understand that all your cases are over now?" 

 

                "Well not quite but thank you for settling the bill for Mitcham and but we need to find another lawyer."

 

                "You're welcome and so do we."

 

                "We do?"  Nancy looks surprised.  "But we've been with them for years."

 

                "Seems that they've dealt with one Peterson too many."  I intone dryly.

 

                "You see, we've got to appeal all the ones we lost."  Michael adds.  "That Mitcham guy didn't seem to want to help us." 

 

I tune them out for a while as they twitter about why they lost and how they are going to get their children back.

 

                "Lindsay, Michael, you need to move out of the hotel..."

 

                "But daddy."

 

                "Don't worry I will settle the bill and put you both up in another property, one from our portfolio."

 

Nancy heaves a sigh of relief and smiles at me, I smile back and take a sip of my drinks.

 

                "Really daddy?  Really!  Where, this is so great of you, after you know Canada."

 

I nod and smile at their enthusiasm.

 

                "Yes about that I realise I was harsh in making you sell your property but what's done is done.  So this place, it's in McCandless and..."

 

                "Oh that sounds nice, is it a good area, good schools?"  Lindsay asks sipping delicately at her drink

 

                "I have no idea, the property in question is an apartment block where you will have an apartment each."

 

They look at each other and beam.

 

                "Oh this is great!"  Lindsay cries.  "That means that Gus and Jenny can stay with us separately but together!"

 

                "Yes that's great.  What a wonderful idea and gesture Ronald."  Nancy is smiling at me now.

 

                "Isn't it.  The rest of the apartments are already tenanted, so it will be a good idea to go tomorrow to get to know them." 

 

This brings a frown to Lindsay's face followed by Michael's.

 

                "Why would we need to get to know them?  When I lived with Emmett we barely knew our neighbours."  Michael scoffs

 

                "Well they will want to know who the building manager and janitor are."  I reply calmly.

 

It takes them a while to absorb what I've said and the first one to get it is Nancy.

 

                "Ronald you can't be serious!"

 

                "Daddy!  I can't do that it would be..."

 

                "Quiet!  Here are your options as it seems I wasn't harsh enough in Canada.  Take the apartments in McCandless and be what I want you to be and represent the Peterson name properly.  Or you go your own way and by that I mean, you settle the hotel bill, fine somewhere to live off your own back and find a lawyer to fight the appeals because this Bank of Dad is closed.  And no, tears and tantrums won't work.  What's it going to be?  And the answers are either yes or no...not fine or but daddy but either yes or no."

 

                "Yes."  Lindsay bleats

 

                "Michael?"  I prompt.  "And answer without folding your arms."

 

                "Yes."  He growls

 

                "Good now go back to the hotel and enjoy one last thrill ride on my dime.  And Nancy if you have a problem with this feel free to join them."