Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 51 - MEET SOLOMON AND HIS MINES...OF INTEL & DETERMINATION

 

ZEE

 

It feels good to be in Faal's arms without the worry and knowing that I've done it, well between Ted and I, we've pretty much done it.

 

                "So the messy feast, you need help?"  Emmy Lou gets my attention.

 

                "Huh?  Oh no actually, you guys sit, I'll call you when I'm done."

 

I kiss Faal under his chin and head to the dining room, smiling.

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

                "We have to do something!"  Jenny declares as soon as she's out the room

 

                "Um Jenny, everything is going to be fine, so..."  Ted tries to placate her.

 

                "No for Aunt Zee we have to do something, get her something to say thank you for everything she's done.  She gave us our first and second homes back here, she's...well we all know what she's done.  So what can we do for her?"

 

There's silence, I look helplessly at Leda who shrugs.

 

                "Oh come on there must be something, she wants, needs!"  Jenny decrees.  "Come on something!"

 

                "Jenny, we're rich we don't need anything that we can't buy ourselves you being happy is enough."

 

                "No Uncle Faal there must be something that she wants that your money can't buy!"

 

His face falls for a minute but then he gathers himself.

 

                "Nope nothing at all."

 

                "Liar.  What is it?"  I demand.

 

                "Her dad out of her life, all aspects of it."  He sighs sadly.

 

                "But I thought he was already out of her life.  Faal, we're family talk to us."  Blake pleads gently.

 

COURTYARD SUITE HOTEL - MONDAY MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

                "We need to call their school tell them that they won't be in this week and that they will be transferring soon."

 

                "Don't you think Mel would've told them that?"

 

                "Not necessarily, we don't even know if they are going to be there tomorrow, sometimes the kids aren't in court for that.  A bit of pre-emptive striking has never hurt anyone."

 

Picking up her phone she smiles at me, I love the way her mind works.  

 

                "Hello may I speak to the principal please?  Yes my name is Lindsay Peterson, I'm the mother of Gus Marcus Peterson and Jenny Marcus Peterson.  Yes I'll hold."

 

                "Put it on speaker."  I whisper to her.

 

                "Ms Peterson, its Principal Griffiths how can I help you?"

 

                "Well I just wanted to let you know that Gus and Jenny are going to be out this week.  I'm not sure if..."

 

                "Yes I'm aware of their absence this week, Mr Bruckner and Ms Marcus were here last week, I'm sorry you couldn't make it."

 

                "Yes unfortunately, we had to be out of the country on emergency business.  Now the other reason for the call is that Gus and Jenny will most likely be transferring schools shortly and I wanted to give you notice so that you can prepare the paperwork for that."

 

                "Oh, that's not the impression I got from Mr Bruckner and Ms Marcus, but we can prepare the paperwork."

 

                "Yes if you could prepare the groundwork that would be great.  Good bye."

 

We smile at each other and I feel really positive about tomorrow.

 

PRINCIPAL GRIFFITHS' OFFICE

 

It's the first time I've ever spoken to Ms Peterson since Jenny and Gus started and I don't have a good feeling about this transfer business, I think a call is called for.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE

 

COURTROOM 5 - LATE EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

                "Why are we here again?"  I ask Adam White who just grins at me.

 

                "Because of the meticulous nature of my partner Solomon Sullivan who will be leading this hearing."

 

                "Solomon is doing it, why not you...oh too close, sorry of course."  Mel sighs.

 

                "So what are we doing?"

 

                "We are making sure that you as a family are presented to the judge in the best possible light."

 

A voice booms and striding towards us is a man that makes Drew look small.

 

                "So who are the parents?"  He asks.

 

                "Brian Kinney, Melanie Marcus, Ben Bruckner and Justin Taylor meet Solomon Sullivan."

 

We shake hands and he grins at us as he put down his case and whips off his jacket.  Even Mel's eyes light up.

 

                "So you and you are Gus and Jenny correct?"

 

For once our little pitbull is struck dumb and I think Gus has his dream all set for tonight.  Zee is grinning at the obvious drooling most of us are doing.

 

                "Guys I'm hanging here!"  He prompts them and they scramble to shake his hand.

 

He strides to stand in front of the table where they would be sitting and Justin follows that butt, mouthing ‘wow' at me.  And wow is right.  Solomon is about 6 ft easily and is the colour of dark caramel.  He has light brown eyes, high cheek bones and a full mouth, not as full as Justin's though.  Broad shouldered and slim of waist he has great legs judging by the way the pants cling to him as does his shirt.  I think there is a collective sigh when he wrests off his tie and unbuttons his shirt and we get a glimpse of his seemingly flawless skin.

 

I'm jolted out of my admiration by him giving instructions.

 

                "Okay Jenny and Gus take the seats in the middle, Jenny on my left Gus on my right, Adam you be me for now."

 

                "What's he doing?"  Debs asks.

 

                "Don't know but look at how he moves in those pants."  Emmy Lou sighs.

 

                "Hey!"  Drew objects

 

                "Honey, I love you deeply and I'm committed to you.  But I'm not blind!"  Emmy Lou soothes

 

                "Okay parents, brother and the money man immediately behind them, just get in I'll shuffle you around in a minute."

 

We take our places with Justin tripping over his feet in his haste to be facing Solomon again.

 

                "Grandparents, partners of brother and mom behind them with grandparents book ending."

 

                "Uh I don't have a partner..."  Mel begins

 

                "Okay, so grandparents, partner of brother, leather queen who mom wants to be with behind them with grandparents' book ending is that better?"  He smirks at her.

 

                "Bitch!"  She snarks.

 

                "Denial queen!"  He replies.  "Now behind them, rest of the family, oh Zee and Faal can you sit on the end with Zee on the outside.  And you my studly ironman next to Faal with Mr Southern Man next to him and then you two...uh?"

 

                "Alice and George."  Alice tells him

 

                "Pleased to meet you, you two next to him and I think we need a balance, can you get someone to fill that seat?"

 

                "What about Kiki?"  Zee suggests

 

                "Okay I'll make sure she's here."  Debs tells us

 

                "Are you sure about Kiki?"  Blake frowns.

 

                "Yes Blake I'm sure."  Zee scolds him.

 

Solomon stares at the seating and shakes his head and then spends 20 minutes swapping us around.

 

                "Still not right.  Brian can you help me out?"

 

                "Adam can you be me next to Justin?"

 

Once he moves I have a better eye and after 15 minutes we've nailed it.

 

                "Okay tomorrow people when we come in, remember where you're sitting and head there naturally don't look like it's pre-planned even if it is."

 

We all nod and there's silence as he puts his jacket back on.

 

                "Right go home get a good night's sleep and tomorrow we start to fight and I fully intend to get this shit done in a day.  My cousin has passed on his air miles, I mean to be in Aruba by Saturday toasting our victories!  See you tomorrow."

 

He strides out without a backward glance and his phone glued to his ear.

 

                "How do you know Solomon?"  Debs asks Zee.

 

                "We know his cousin, he's a..."

 

                "Cousin?  I know he looks familiar but I can't quite..."  I ponder

 

                "Oh my goodness, Dijon's his cousin!"  Emmy Lou squeals

 

                "Great."  Drew grumbles.  "There's two of them."

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - TUESDAY MORNING

 

OUTSIDE COURT 5

 

SOLOMON

 

Adam is looking chilled as usual and I'm doing my knuckle cracking routine as usual.  We've got another 20 minutes and it looks like the idiots are coming...just them not Phil, poor Phil looks like a whipped puppy.

 

                "Adam, Solomon how are you today?"  He asks

 

                "Looking forward to it what about you?"  Adam asks.

 

                "Oh Adam, it's so unfortunate that we meet under these circumstances but..."

 

                "Solomon this is Lindsay Novotny and Michael Peterson, Lindsay and Michael this is Solomon, he will be taking the lead on these cases."

 

                "Uh it's..."  She starts

 

                "Ah here they are, well after you and your clients Phil."  He smiles at him.

 

Phil nods and leads them in before she can say anything else.  Gotta hand it to the blueblood he knows how to bitchslap and make it look nice, me I'd just knock them on their ass.

 

                "Hi Mr Sullivan, Mr White."  Jenny beams at us but Gus looks a little scared.

 

                "We're not in court now it's Solomon and Adam."  I remind her.  "So everyone coming?"

 

She nods enthusiastically and points behind her.

 

                "Okay people, let's do this, start raggedy and then straighten up remember?"  I demand.

 

PHIL

 

It's bad enough that it's White & Sullivan but the great-grandsons of the founders why me God what the hell did I do!

 

I turn round when I hear the door opening and of course they have a huge contingent of people with them, and they all file in and take their seats.  I can already feel the headache pounding when the door opens again, Aunt Millie gives me a small smile and sits on our side at the back and then cocks her head to the door.  I watch it open again and Bernadine and Arnold Williamson arrive and they take their seats next to them, this makes Lindsay smile for some reason, she's practically beaming when two other people arrive.

 

                "My parents, I don't know what they were worried about.  We have the upper echelons of WASP society, what do they have?"  She crows

 

USHER

 

                "All rise for Judge Edward Milner."

 

JUDGE MILNER

 

                "Please be seated."

 

                "Your honour this is the hearing of Peterson and Novotny vs Marcus and Kinney in the physical custody of Gus Marcus Peterson and Jenny Rebecca Marcus Peterson, with the former requesting, latter contesting."

 

I watch my long term usher shake his head and sit down, I have to stifle my smile, he's had to introduce them more than one in the last few weeks.  I look down at the paperwork as I can tell he's grumbling and clear my throat.

 

                "Proceed, Mr Mitcham."

 

PHIL

 

                "Your honour for the duration of this hearing would it be okay if we use just the first names of Gus and Jenny?"

 

                "Agreed proceed."

 

                "Your Honour, Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny wish to have physical custody of Jenny and Gus as they feel that there is an undue and unfair influence in their lives.  Ms Peterson is unhappy that Ms Marcus has been restricting access to her children and Mr Novotny feels the same.  After Ms Peterson left the former family home and at no point did Ms Marcus advise them where the children were, it was only after some investigative work that they were able to find out."

 

I look at Solomon and his face is impassive.

 

                "I would like to call Ms Peterson to the stand."

 

I sigh as she takes her time straightening herself out and makes her way to the stand with a tissue clasped in her hand, this is going to be a long day!

 

                "Ms Peterson, can you tell the court what are your main concerns and why you wish Jenny and Gus to be in you and Mr Novotny's custody."

 

                "As you have already said, the influence of certain people has led to a change in both the biological father of Gus and the biological mother of Jenny, they seem to want to keep up with a certain someone and we feel that it would be best if..."

 

                "Objection.  If the person is present in court then name them so they can defend themselves or this is a spurious reason."

 

                "Sustained."

 

                "Ms Peterson can you name the person that you feel has led the change in, um, Brian Kinney and Melanie Marcus."

 

                "Well it's people plural, for Brian it is Justin Taylor and for Melanie it is Zaden Ugerstacht."

 

I want to cry why the hell is she going down this path?

 

                "And how have they done this?"

 

                "Well Michael will be able to tell you more about Justin's influence as it is more long term but for Melanie once she came back to the USA and Zee, sorry Zaden, took her under her wing she..."

 

                "Objection...rambling."

 

                "Mr Sullivan."

 

                "Sorry your honour but still."

 

                "Overruled."

 

I spot the grin on Milner's face and try to hide my own.

 

                "Continue Ms Peterson."

 

She glowers at Solomon and I really wish she hadn't done that because he goes from puppy eyes to shark eyes in seconds.

 

                "Zaden slowly but surely manipulated Melanie and my children to dislike me and offered them a life I can't compete with.  I wish to bring my children up to think they can't get everything they want at a drop of a hat, they have to work for it."

 

                "I see and when did this manipulation start in your opinion?"

 

                "Soon after we arrived back in the USA, there were a few incidences that led to this unfortunate situation we now find ourselves in."

 

                "Thank you Ms Peterson."

 

                "You may proceed Mr Sullivan."  Judge Milner orders

 

SOLOMON

 

                "Ms Peterson, let me take you back a bit in your life, why did you have a child with Mr Kinney?"

 

                "Pardon?"  

 

                "You have a child with Mr Brian Kinney, why did you do that?"

 

                "I wanted a child and he was the best person in my opinion to be the father of my child."

 

                "Despite the objections of your then and now ex-partner Melanie Marcus?"

 

                "Mel was not happy but I managed to persuade her to agree with me."

 

                "How would you say that they got on in the early years of your relationship and of Gus's life?"

 

                "Well they were tempestuous and there were arguments but nothing that couldn't be smoothed over."

 

                "And who did the smoothing, by which I mean who calmed the storms, settled the arguments, soothed ruffled feathers?"

 

                "Well generally it was me but..."

 

                "I see.  As Gus grew up would you say their relationship improved?"

 

                "Not necessarily but it got better for a while."

 

                "For a while, are you implying that there is a problem in their relationship at the moment?"

 

                "No.  I mean I don't know since she's cut me out of her life."

 

                "Ah I understand.  When exactly did their relationship improve, there must have been a point when you noticed, oh wow they're getting on better, so when was that?"

 

                "When we came back to the USA I suppose it was then.  He was pleased that we were home after she got a partnership in a law firm in Pittsburgh."

 

                "How pleased?"

 

                "I don't understand the question."

 

                "How pleased was Mr Kinney that she brought you all back to Pittsburgh?"

 

                "Objection, relevance."

 

                "Your honour, relevance will become clear."

 

                "Overruled."

 

                "Ms Peterson, how pleased was he?  I believe you arrived just before Christmas is that correct?"

 

                "Yes."  

 

She's not sure where I'm going with this...good!

 

                "And where did you live?"

 

                "At a Brownstone in the centre of town."

 

                "And that belonged to?"

 

                "Zaden Ugerstacht."

 

                "And how did that come about, I mean how did you end up staying in her Brownstone?"

 

                "I don't..."

 

                "She offered, right out of the blue, she offered her Brownstone to you and your family without any prompting, this doesn't strike me as actions of a Machiavellian person, this strikes me as someone who had an empty property and wanted to help settle you in.  How long had you lived there?"

 

                "Originally it was 6 weeks but then it was extended."

 

                "Hmm.  So can you tell me some of the evil things she did to turn your children against you?"

 

She looks at me with fury.

 

                "I can't remember each and every incident but I know that there was one time that she..."

 

I wait for her to dig up a lie.

 

                "Okay let's move on from wherever you went there.  You say that Mr Novotny is better, for want of a better word, equipped to say why Mr Justin Taylor has influenced Mr Kinney's behaviour surely you must have a view on that?"

 

                "I do but..."

 

                "Let's hear it."

 

                "Okay, Mr Taylor has been in and out of Mr Kinney's life for a while now and when he's out of his life...your honour, may I call him Brian it seems so formal when I've known him for so long?"

 

                "You may Ms Peterson, proceed."  Judge Milner replies

 

                "When Brian is not with Justin he's a better person but when he's with him he's more distracted and pays less attention to Gus and..."

 

                "When you were in Canada did Brian visit or call every day?

 

                "No of course not."

 

                "So it's hardly fair for you to blame Justin for distracting his attention from Gus when he's in another country can you?  Which you took him to despite his objections correct?  I do wish to touch on one little detail, what was Brian like before you had a child with him I mean his lifestyle?"

 

                "He was a party boy, he fu...I mean he was promiscuous and did drugs and drank a lot."

 

                "And yet you had a child with him.  And what is he like now?"

 

                "I don't know he's shut me out of his life at the behest of Justin."

 

"It's not that you don't know it's that you don't want to know. From what I understand Brian Kinney has been in a monogamous relationship with Justin Taylor for over 5 years, they are engaged to be married in fact they are getting married in 3, I believe, weeks' time.  So why do you object to the better person that he has become and want to take his child away?

 

                "He's not become a better person with Justin, he's..."

 

"Let's get to the meat of the matter Ms Peterson, this is a malicious attempt by you and Mr Novotny to gain control over the one thing that Melanie and Brian value other than their partners and that is their children."

 

                "No!  We want our children to be with us so that we can bring them up properly."

 

                "And how were you bringing them up before?"

 

                "Pardon?"

 

                "Well it wasn't Brian, Justin or Mr Novotny that were bringing them up before it was you and Ms Marcus; was that not a proper upbringing?"

 

                "Of course.  I mean.  What Mel and I did whilst we were together was a proper upbringing it's just that..."

 

                "Are you and Mr Novotny considering entering into a romantic relationship?"

 

                "What?  No of course not we're friends and that's all and besides we're both gay."

 

                "So you will be in different domiciles should the physical custody be granted to you both?"

 

                "Well, no we would live together as we don't want to split the children up as this is traumatic enough for them."

 

                "And how would you support them between the two of you as it is my understanding that neither of you are working at present nor do you have a place to live."

 

                "No we're not and we don't but we wouldn't be living here we would be living in Canada.   In the former marital home, which is familiar to the children but not to Mr Novotny but there is room for him there."

 

                "And why would you do that?  All their family and friends are here, they are happy here, why would you want to wrench them away from that?"

 

                "As I said the influences of certain people make this the only course of action available to us and..."

 

                "Come-come you have another course of action, which is to drop this but like I said my thoughts are that you are being malicious."

 

                "I'm not...I mean we're not..."

 

                "So again how do you intend to support yourselves and where are you going to live for a year?"

 

                "A year?  I don't understand.  Why would we need a year for that?"

 

I look back and smile at Ted, the money man, he's ready to step in.

 

                "Your former home currently has tenants in it does it not?"

 

                "Yes but they will be asked to leave once we return to Canada."

 

                "And once again what will you do whilst they are serving out their notice on the property, unless of course you intend to pay them out of their tenancy?"

 

                "I...don't understand the question."

 

                "Your honour, may I bring in temporarily Mr Ted Schmidt.  He is the personal accountant for Brian Kinney and Melanie Marcus and drew up the agreement for the property in Canada?  Which Ms Peterson signed on behalf of them both before the tenancy was renewed."

 

                "You may."

 

                "Mr Schmidt, since Ms Peterson seems to be confused over tenancy agreement perhaps you can break it down to her."

 

TED

 

I've been waiting for this, smackdown part one!

 

                "Yes of course.  The tenancy agreement was recently renewed with an amendment, that instead of the usual months' notice it would be a year and in the event of either Ms Peterson or Ms Marcus individually or separately wishing to return then they would either give notice or pay out the year's notice to the tenant."

 

                "Thank you Mr Schmidt.  You may sit down."  

 

I daren't look at Mel as the gasp that came from our side was from her.

 

                "So do you or Mr Novotny have the funds to pay out your tenant Ms Peterson?"

 

She is just staring at me and at the document I have placed in her hands.

 

                "Ms Peterson?"

 

                "We will have the support money from Gus's father and..."

 

                "Your honour, may I recall temporarily Ted Schmidt again, I had assumed when she signed the support agreement the last time that she read it clearly seems she needs to be reminded."

 

                "You may."  

 

TED

 

And the final denouement for you, you uppity supercilious, obnoxious...

 

                "Mr Schmidt?"

 

                "Sorry, yes the support agreement, which was renewed by Ms Peterson and Mr Kinney prior to their arrival back in the USA states..."

 

                "It's the standard agreement I always sign..."  Lindsay interrupts

 

                "Just you, Ms Marcus didn't sign it?"  Solomon asks her.

 

                "No the support agreements are between myself and Brian, I tell Melanie when they've been renewed but that's all."

 

                "Mr Schmidt continue."  

 

Solomon is really struggling not to grin we've got her!

 

                "That should either Ms Marcus or Ms Peterson remove Gus Marcus Peterson from the USA then the support payments will cease with immediate effect.  All previous support payments will then be placed in trust and will become available to Gus Marcus Peterson upon his 18th birthday."

 

SOLOMON

 

I turn back to Lindsay who has gone ashen.

 

                "So Ms Peterson, you and Mr Novotny stay here you have no means of supporting your children as you have nowhere to live and no job and if you go to Canada you have nowhere to live, no jobs and no support payments."

 

                "You fucking bastard!"  Novotny screams.  "You, you meth head Ted!"

 

                "Wow Mr Novotny, I think you need to calm down."

 

                "Is that what you were talking about Zee, the thing that we should have read?"  

 

He's standing up and making his way to her, this is not going to end well.  Novotny is so focused on Zaden who has stepped into the aisle that he's not noticed the bailiff and usher making their way towards him.

 

But before they can get to him he reels back to punch her in the face but Faal stops him by grabbing his fist and is pushing him to the ground whilst bending his wrist back on itself and he starts to cry out.

 

                "You..."

 

                "Mr Ugerstacht let the courts handle this!"  I plead putting a restraining hand on his arm

 

                "Bailiffs remove Mr Novotny from my court!"  

 

Judge Milner watches as he's taken away.

 

                "Is everything okay over there, you weren't hurt, I'm going to assume you are Mrs Ugerstacht?"  Judge Milner calls out.

 

                "Yes and I'm fine."

 

                "Right if you can take your seats and you too Ms Peterson."

 

                "But I've not finished speaking..."

 

                "Lindsay, just come and sit down."  Mitcham orders.

 

I head back to my seat.  Jenny and Gus are wide eyed and silent.  

 

JUDGE MILNER

 

I know that Meriam said he was an idiot but Jesus!

 

                "Ladies and gentlemen.  I don't think anybody is going to be surprised to find out that I am ruling against Ms Peterson and Mr Novotny, not only because of their ill-conceived idea but also because Mr Novotny's temper is a cause for concern.  And..."

 

Before I continue the court explodes with cheering.

 

                "Silence!  Silence in court!"  I bang repeatedly.

 

I have to smile as Jenny has climbed over the bench to hug her mom and Gus is tugging Ted out of his seat to get to his dad.

 

                "Mr Mitcham please can you and Ms Peterson leave I wish to speak to the children and their parents alone?"

 

                "But your honour!"  Ms Peterson shrieks

 

                "That cell is big enough for two!"  I warn her

 

                "Lindsay we're leaving now!"  

 

He orders her and the people at the back on their side follow without saying a word.

 

                "Now, Jenny and Gus, as far as I am concerned you are home with the people you're with now and to me the emancipation hearing is a formality, so don't worry.  But Mrs Ugerstacht I would advise you to get a restraining order on Mr Novotny he..."

 

                "Oh don't worry your honour I've dumped him on his ass before I can do it again."

 

                "I don't doubt that for a minute but for my peace of mind get an order written up so that if it is not me you're in front of they at least have an explanation why he's all busted up and you are untouched."

 

                "Yes your honour."

 

                "The physical custody petition for Peterson and Novotny is denied, let it be noted that I will send my written reasons to Mr Mitcham.  This is hereby settled the children will reside in the USA in the primary care of Ms Melanie Marcus."

 

USHER

 

                "All rise, court is adjourned, well until I see you guys tomorrow!"