Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 49 - WHEN THE DASYMUTILLA OCCIDENTALIS* TAPS IN FOR THE BULLDOG ANT

 

LINDSAY

 

I head back to collect my purse and Mitcham is still there but he's talking on the phone.  I tap him on the arm to get his attention.  He shakes his head at me and continues his conversation. 

 

                "Okay one drink.  I'll be there soon."

 

He packs up his case and huffs out a breath.

 

                "Right to the cells."

 

                "To the...just a minute you need to explain to me, actually us how we lost that case!  It's as if it..."

 

"Finish that sentence carefully.  Ah for once you are going to just be quiet."  He hisses at me.  "We didn't lose, Michael did!  As Judge Maatje said he wasn't doing it for the love of Hunter he did it for this weird love he has for Brian and wanting to be part of his life again.  Now we are going to go down to the cells and see if we can get him released today.  Then litigation wise, we have the emancipation and physical custody cases; then the dissolution case just for you and finally there's the lawsuit settlements but they won't take long as long as you still agree to settle out of court, that's not changed right?"

 

He looks at me coldly.

 

                "Our stance on the lawsuits have not changed.  It's been a long and emotional day for us all, let's go and get Michael out and go home."

 

"Fine.  And Ms Peterson never attempt to question my professionalism again do you understand?"

 

I nod but I'm not happy, but I can't afford to take on another lawyer.  I need to speak to daddy about his attitude towards us.  I follow him down to the cells, where we find Michael pacing and muttering to himself.

 

                "What's happening now?"  He demands.

 

                "You're being released once I pay the contempt of court charges, which will be added to your bill, you can go home and lick your considerable wounds." 

 

Phil tells him and heads to speak to the clearing clerk about his release.

 

                "What she was serious I'm no longer his father!  But that's not fair, he fucking owes me!  Without me he wouldn't know Gus or Brian or having his oh so fucking fabulous life he has now!  He made me fucking miserable taking all Ben's attention and now he's where he is, well I'm going to keep appealing see how much he likes the misery.  There is going to be a judge that will side with me.  And as for Jenny well that little madam and I are going to have words, you're right Lindsay its time for our kids to fall into line with what we say and when we have physical custody that's what will happen we will have the power and their other so called parents will have to come to us!  As for that dumb ass judge bet she's on the rag today and is taking it out on me.  But could you believe Mitcham; what kind of cuntish behaviour was that banging on about his daughter who gives a shit about that this was about me!  And we're paying him for this!"

 

                "Michael whilst I agree with everything you've said you have to calm down.  And one of the benefits of living with Mel was that sometimes she did say something interesting about law.  Mr Mitcham is going to be speaking to the bar association if I have anything to do with it and until that little matter is settled with him we're not paying."

 

He takes a couple of deep breaths and by the time an officer comes in to release him he's calmer.

 

                "Where's Mr Mitcham?"  I ask

 

                "He paid the fine and left."

 

                "Come on let's go back to the hotel and get some food, some wine and some sleep."

 

I link arms with him and we head out, my mind drifts to the celebratory party they are having for his undeserved little victory and wonder how much this will be costing Faal as it sure as fuck won't be Zee paying for it.

 

MEAT AND POTATOES - LATE AFTERNOON

 

HUNTER

 

It's done!  I can't fucking believe it...he's gone I never have to deal with him again! 

 

                "Dad do you think he'll appeal?"

 

                "He'd be a fool and it would cost him..."

 

We all stop talking when Phil Mitcham comes into the room.

 

                "What are you doing over there?"  Grandma demands.  "Come over here and get a hug!"

 

He looks so stunned that he doesn't move, which of course means grandma goes to him.

 

                "What you did took fucking guts and big ass balls!  Are you going to get in much trouble with whoever is in charge, if so we'll come and speak for you right guys?!"

 

There's nodding and glass raising.

 

                "Uh I think I'm going to be more than fine and...mmph!"

 

There's a thud as his case hits the floor and then silence from him as he's pulled into a grandma hug at first he looks surprised but then he turns his head into her neck.

 

                "Red come on let him out of there!"  Grandpa guffaws

 

                "I can't..."  She whispers

 

                "Debs, is this like when you...?"  Ted teases but then frowns.  "Wait, is he okay?"

 

Grandma shakes her head and gently strokes his hair.

 

                "It's gonna be okay, you hear, it's gonna be okay."  She murmurs.  "Sssh, you brave man sssh."

 

                "Hi everyone!  Sorry we're late I had to get Millie as..."  Grandmom Jen starts and then stops

 

                "Philip!  Philip is that you in there?  It's me, Aunt Millie, what's happened?" 

 

Phil lifts his head up from grandma's embrace and sniffs hard.

 

                "Nothing, nothing at all I just got a little overwhelmed that's all don't worry.  I'm sorry about that but Ivan if you don't mind I won't stay for the drink, I just want to go home."

 

                "I'll take you.  Go splash your face and I'll meet you outside alright?  Zee you and I need to have a little chat, no Jennifer, we do.  Have a lovely meal and Hunter, which one is Hunter, congratulations."

 

                "Thanks and thank you Mr Mitcham for, for what you said and for not putting me up there."

 

He smiles at me and then squeezes grandma's hand and leaves.

 

                "Hey Aunt Millie, he needs fattening up, tell him to come to the Liberty Diner next week and I'll start his new diet, it was like hugging a bag of bones!"

 

                "I will.  Goodbye everyone."

 

MILLIE

 

"Phil are you okay now?  I got the impression that you were happy to lose."

 

"Oh I am.  But with those two you never know what will come next.  I just can't wait to see the back of them."

 

WILLIAMSON RESIDENCE

 

BERNADINE

 

                "Bernadine Williamson.  Oh hello, Kiki, how are you?  Yes we're both fine thank you.  Yes, I've got a few minutes before we head out.  What the hearing was today, well that was quick, well what happened?  He did oh that's great news, thank you for letting me know.  It sounds like you are having fun, go back and enjoy yourself.  I'll let him know."

 

I smile, after what Kiki had told us I'm glad he lost.  Right now to tell Arnold the good news and we're off to meet friends for dinner.

 

                "Arnold where...oh sorry darling." 

 

He's looking very pensive on his phone and nodding before he hangs up brusquely.

 

                "Guess what?  That Novotny person lost the dissolution hearing today, Kiki just called and told me.  Arnold, is everything okay what was that call about?"

 

                "Hmm, well it seems that he is a bad loser and she's still not learned.  Do you think you could move the time of dinner, I have to go downtown for about an hour."

 

MEAT AND POTATOES

 

BEN

 

                "Everyone, everyone please!  I wish to propose a toast to my son, wow my son, Hunter, who is one of the bravest young men I have ever come across.  To Hunter!"

 

He's blushing to his feet and tucks his head in Matt's neck.

 

                "This food is gorgeous!"  Debs announces.  "Hey can you pass me the grilled bread, what's the stuff on it again?"

 

                "Duck lardo, actually shall we just order another couple more?"  Hugo calls out.

 

                "Oh yes please Oupa and the wings and fried pigs' ears.  And what was it you wanted Gus?"

 

                "Oh the risotto, but I think that might be too much for just one person."

 

                "Sonny boy who is sitting to my left?" 

 

                "Oh yeah."  Gus beams at Brian who gets a smack in the chest from Justin.

 

                "Oh wait another toast!  To my daughter Jenny, we all know that's she's fiercely protective of those she's loves but this is for her honesty she fessed up over George and admitted her wrong over hitting her dad.  So to Jenny!"  I decree

 

                "PAPA!"  Jenny shrieks hiding behind her napkin.

 

It's just the family and Kiki here, she's another one who's always had Hunter's back; the result of the hearing will get round Liberty Avenue very quickly thanks to her.   And we're all very fond of her, even Brian though he would never admit that. 

 

I have the statements everyone wrote in my briefcase and I will give them to Hunter to read in private with Matt.

 

                "This is better than Avenue...oh crap!  Emmy Lou can you come here a second" 

 

Zee suddenly exclaims, he joins her and they go through their phones, with Emmy Lou looking pensive.

 

                "It's not there is it?  I've not just forgotten to put it in have I?"  She asks

 

                "No it's not and it should be done, when can we do it?"  Emmy replies biting his lip.

 

                "What's not there, what's wrong?"  Justin asks.  "Is this about the wedding?" 

 

                "Yeah, I know you don't want stag dos how'd you feel about not having a rehearsal dinner?"

 

                "Oh no that's a must!"  Jennifer declares.  "Right you two over here, Debs you too let's see what we can do."

 

                "My Lig truffle fries?"

 

                "Yep please and the lamb neck."

 

                "Okay let's get the waiters in."  Hugo calls out

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE - EVENING

 

LINDSAY

 

We're both quiet lost in our own thoughts. 

 

                "So he bought the gallery as a wedding present for him?"

 

                "Yes and then had the nerve to say I was a bitch because he had to tell him before he wanted to.  I tell you Brian has really changed since he met them, he's really trying to keep up with the Jones's well the Ugerstachts, well one in particular do you notice that is always Zee making the grand gestures, Faal is much more low key."

 

He takes another swig of wine. 

 

                "Jesus he must be one hell of a fuck!"  He snaps bitterly

 

                "Yeah and so must she." 

 

TREEHOUSE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

ZEE

 

I inhale deeply and snuggle deeper into Faal's side, the smell of coffee permeates the air. 

 

                "You are a very lovely lady."  He mumbles.  "Which is it?"

 

                "Toraja.  Come on sweetheart get up you'll feel better."

 

He staggers to the bathroom and we go through the usual, teeth, drops and Advil, there's no way he's swimming today because my dear darling husband clearly forgot how hard his dad can drink and decided that absinthe, tequila and midori was a good idea.  Luckily we here at that point, between him, Brian, Emmy Lou, Drew, Hugo, Justin and Mel they finished almost all three.  I'm pretty sure we need to get some food down people's necks but I'm in no mood to cook.

 

                "Who ended up paying by the way?  And how did we get home?"  He sighs heavily.

 

                "Between Ben, Steve, Carl and Jennifer it was sorted out.  Here have some coffee.  We were already home when the absinthe came out."

 

                "Do we have guests?"  He downs the first cup in one and then leans back.  "Need grease, can we do the diner?"

 

                "We do and absolutely, there is no way I'm cooking today.   Let me mist you, you doofus.  I'll go see who we have."

 

I check the usual rooms and head back to him with a bottle of fizzy water.

 

                "So, oh you so know me."  He sucks back half of it.  "What do you say to a fridge in here?"

 

                "No, the coffee machine is enough.   Emmy Lou, Drew, our folks, Mel, Ben, Steve and of course Brian and Justin and judging by the groaning coming from that room...Justin is regretting the absinthe."

 

                "He's been throwing up green since eight."  Brian's voice comes from the door.  "We're going to head back he feels awful and I just want my own bed."

 

                "Need meds or will he hold off until he gets home."

 

                "We'll just grab some water and maybe coffee, Phil is on his way will be here in about 30 minutes, we're taking Mel with us and dropping her off, she's feeling guilty about leaving Leda with the kids."

 

                "I'm Jewish we do guilt well.  Oh coffee, please can I have a cup?"  She begs.

 

Faal just waves them in and they help themselves.

 

                "Brian?"  Justin calls weakly.

 

                "In here Sunshine."

 

                "Oh dear God what happened to you?"

 

Justin's normally pale but he looks ghost like.

 

                "Your father in law happened to me.  Faal you're a lovely man but your father is the devil."

 

                "But a persuasive one.  Lig do we have milk thistle?"

 

                "Oh that bad, sure give me a sec."  I pad to the bathroom and then hand them round.  "Trust me your liver will thank you."  I tell a sceptical looking Brian.

 

                "Mel could Mitcham get in a lot of trouble for what he did?"  Justin asks

 

                "He could if they report him, which knowing those two is a distinct possibility, but the one thing that counts in his favour, well two, is that it was a hearing not a trial and two what the judge said, her decision was already made before his speech so that will have some sway if it comes to that.  Oh man this coffee is good."

 

I chuckle as Justin is starting to go back to sleep but at least his colour is coming back.

 

                "May I come in?"  Martha calls out.  "There's a Phil looking for Brian and Justin."

 

                "Sunshine, come on our ride's here." 

 

                "No want to stay here comfy."  He gripes.

 

                "Come on Mel's got to get home too."

 

He gets up and stumbles after Brian, we kiss Mel goodbye and they leave.

 

                "So are we getting up, your father is in need of food and I want to try this diner of Debs."

 

                "Okay let's start knocking up.  I'll do Emmy Lou you do Ben."

 

                "And you young man get in the shower, you reek!"

 

                "Yes mama."

 

UPTOWN

 

MIRANDA

 

Everyone is here, we're waiting for Hunter to come in.  He called Aunt Liddie this morning and said he would be in late, she said he sounded so emotional and tired that she wanted him to stay off work.  But he said he wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible.  Though I think she's going to overrule him anyway and send him home after he says what he wants to say.

 

                "If those two cause my urchin just one more second of distress..."

 

                "Aunt Liddie, shush, here he comes."

 

                "Hey everyone.  Look I should've just told you over the phone because I'm so tired right now, so after this I'm going to take the rest of the week off if that's okay Lydia."

 

                "Of course, now what happened?"

 

                "Ben's my only dad."

 

                "Oh urchin I'm gutted!"

 

We all look at her in surprise.

 

                "I'll have to cancel the hitman.  Come here we've got cake!"  She sweeps him into a hug.

 

Whilst we're all laughing I'm not altogether sure she's joking.

 

DINER - EARLY LUNCHTIME

 

KIKI

 

The place is buzzing, everyone now knows what happened to the yellow bellied cowardly fucker, so my work here is done.

 

                "Hello Kiki."

 

                "Bernadine, Arnold what are you guys doing here?  You want to take a seat over there, I'm actually due a break so we can go out if you prefer?"

 

                "Actually if we could that would be good that little café we went to the last time?" 

 

                "Sure Arnold, will meet you in there, say five minutes."

 

They smile and head out.

 

                "Who are they?"  Debs asks nonchalantly.

 

                "Oh just some people I know, they seem very nice.  Look I'm going on my break, just up the road, if you need me send Grizz's twink."

 

                "Okay honey."

 

CAFÉ FOUR DOORS UP FROM THE DINER

 

ARNOLD

 

I wave at Kiki as she comes in, I have to admire her bravery, okay this is still Liberty Avenue but I can bet that she would still be in her full regalia if she was in the country club, I like how determined she is.

 

                "Kiki, what would you like to drink?"

 

                "Oh George knows what I like, George the usual and a pastry please.  So what are you two doing here?"

 

I clear my throat and take a breath.

 

                "We need your help again.  But this time it's to enlighten the less educated.  I look round here and I think if only we were so free to be as you are.  There's a young man I know who is struggling with his um..."

 

                "Gender or sexuality?"

 

                "We're not sure but we think that maybe if you talk to him about what you went through..."

 

                "Bernadine, I'm still going through it."  I watch their faces fall.   "But if I can help I will, so tell me about him."

 

After 20 minutes, I head quickly back to the diner with a telephone number in my hand and a promise that I would call him, they looked so relieved.  I thought I heard them call my name but I guess I was mistaken.

 

DINER

 

FAAL

 

Wow, I had forgotten how colourful and noisy this place so thank God the Advil has kicked in.   Zee had called ahead and we've got the back booth.  We settle down and wait for Debs to come over.

 

                "Hey beautiful people, Jesus what the hell happened to you?"

 

                "Absinthe, tequila and the green liqueur happened to us, can we have the special pot please?" 

 

Emmy Lou groans and snuggles into Drew's side, he smiles and kisses the top of his head.

 

                "Special coffee?"  Mama asks beating me to it.

 

                "Mmm, there is a beautiful roast from up the road that goes perfectly with the hangover-cure brunch so we bought a bag for here and Tony pretends not to notice.   But amazingly enough it seems to need replacing..."

 

Emmy Lou's voice trails off and the entire diner goes quiet.  I look up and see the reason why, standing there are Michael and Lindsay.

 

                "You've got to be kidding me!"  Someone growls. 

 

                "Of all the arrogant..."  Another gripes.  "Have you no shame?"

 

                "Is there a problem?"  Michael demands.

 

                "Yes you two, you're the fucking problem!  After all you've done to Hunter you have the nerve to show up here?  We've heard everything about you Mr Hero and you're not welcome!"  A twink calls out

 

                "Actually, what was said in court were twisted lies.  Hunter is clearly confused and we will be appealing this decision."  Lindsay snipes haughtily.

 

                "Hunter didn't get to speak so how does that make sense?  And you can appeal until you're blue in the face, you're still leaving."  Grizz's twink berates them.

 

                "No actually we are going to sit and be served.  Like any normal customer."  Michael snaps

 

They make their way up to the counter and take a seat, they've not seen us yet and Debs is frozen in shock for a few minutes before she shakes her head to clear it and puts the coffee down on our table and heads back behind the counter.

 

                "Normal?  Did you say normal?"  She snarks.  "What has happened to you Michael to make you such mean spirited bully?"

 

                "Bully?  Me!  After all I did for him...never mind, I'll save this for a sensible judge to listen to."

 

                "Why are you appealing this Michael, why put him through unnecessary pain and suffering, it makes no difference what the courts say he will never see you as his father now.  Appeal it and it is the end between you and me."

 

                "You don't mean that."  He gasps.

 

                "Yes I do, you go after Hunter again we are done."

 

                "You will have to reconsider that when I have custody of Jenny."  He sneers at her.

 

                "Which judge is going to give you custody of Jenny?"  Papa demands.

 

                "And what the fuck does it have to do with you?"

 

Turning to face us, I smirk at their shocked expressions.

 

                "Jenny is Hunter's sister in case you had forgotten and since..."  Papa continues

 

                "And since he will want to see her, he has to come through me too."  He replies smugly.

 

                "Ben I'm going to go with he was an amazing fuck because he's as dumb as a rock."  Papa sighs.

 

                "Uh..."  Ben stammers

 

                "Ouch!"  Emmy Lou snickers.

 

                "I'll have you know that I'm excellent in bed."  Michael declares.

 

                "You know your hand doesn't talk right?"  Emmy Lou drawls

 

                "That's right bring everything down to sex!"  Lindsay snipes.  "That's your base level isn't it Emmett?"

 

                "Well honey, my ‘base' level has got me the man of my dreams, a mansion, two beautiful dogs, two successful businesses and great family and friends and you have...Michael."

 

                "I see associating with Zee has changed you too Emmett, you used to be such a good friend."

 

                "So did you until you tried to sit on Faal's face.  What did you expect her to do, say yes please take my husband!"

 

                "I was not trying to take Faal.  But what I want I always get."  She smirks.  "Now come on Michael, let's go..."

 

                "Your act needs work girl."  Zee retorts sliding into the seat next to me

 

ZEE

 

I had been making a call in the office and came out just in time to hear that, and judging by the smirks from the other diners she didn't think I was anywhere near this place.

 

                "Tyd vir die esel lyfstraf?"  Papa mumbles [translation: time for the ass whipping]

 

                "Inderdaad."  I mumble back [translation: indeed]

 

She turns round slowly clearly gathering her thoughts.

 

                "Ah Zee, I wondered where the ringleader was?"

 

                "What ringleader, I lead nobody, I go my own way if they want to come with or follow then that's fine if not that's fine too."

 

                "Come with or follow?  Are you speaking in tongues?"

 

                "Nope, to come with means to join me and to follow me means to come after...clearer now?"

 

"Oh please, you buy your friends, you go for grand gestures to make yourself feel better about yourself because..."

 

                "What grand gestures are you blathering on about?"

 

                "The houses for example you buy them...

 

                "And if we decide to keep them he goes on the deed..."

 

                "Oh please!"  She scoffs

 

                "It's true.  I have no interest in the buying and decorating process.  She does that because she likes it.  I pitch up afterwards and decide whether we keep it or not.  But enough about our joint finances what is it about me loving Zee that bothers you so damn much?"  Faal demands

 

                "You're not good enough for him!"  She tells me

 

                "Hey I..."  Faal

 

                "Geliefde, please.  And what makes you better than me?"  I ask her

 

                "I have social standing."  She snipes

 

                "No Lindsay you have a reputation.  That's something completely different." 

 

                "Burn!"  Debs chortles

 

                "And what's that supposed to mean?

 

                "Exactly what I said, have you two ever stopped to think why Brian isn't with you, and for you Lindsay, why Faal never will be.  I mean apart from the obvious?"

 

                "What obvious?"  Michael retorts

 

                "You're fugly, whiny and, according to Ben, crap in bed, though the tongue thing Patrice told us about might come in handy if Lindsay ever gets desperate."  Kiki calls out

 

                "At least I don't look like an over the hill drag queen!"  Michael calls back

 

                "Do I?  Well clearly that look is working for me since I'm having more sex than you."  Is her riposte

 

                "Again burn."  Debs giggles

 

                "Brian is in the thrall of some delusion that he loves Justin but..."  Lindsay begins

 

                "He like you is just a good fuck and once..."

 

                "Brian doesn't like you..."  I explain slowly

 

                "Now that Boy Wonder has turned his head and not the one on his shoulders!" 

 

                "Jesus how in denial are you.  Look Brian has never liked you.  Loved you in a way yes, needed you definitely but liked you no..."

 

                "And I don't like you."  Faal adds

 

                "Geliefde I've got this."

 

                "I was just making sure they understood especially her."

 

I turn and look at Faal and smile and then back at her

 

                "Do you understand?"  I ask.  "So Lindsay, what is it, apart from the WASP thing, makes you think that you deserve Faal more than me or deserve Brian more than Justin?"

 

                "Because you don't deserve them!  Neither of you.  But unlike Justin I will always have a tie to Brian and there's nothing you or he can do about it!"

 

                "Gus.  The tie you have to Brian is called Gus.  And if the hearings go against them, which I doubt, when he's 18 there's nothing you will be able to do about it either and the same goes for you Michael, except it kicks in when Jenny's 16."  I reply coolly

 

                "What are you talking about?"  Michael demands.

 

                "Warth and Mitcham were right, you just see the immediate rewards not the long term penalties, such a shame.  Debs can we have some more of our special coffee, actually do we need to stock up?"

 

                "Sure thing honey and yeah I think we need to, there were 3 bags last week and now we're down to 2, I think I might have to put them in the safe away from the very big mice."

 

                "I said what are you talking about?"  Michael repeats louder.

 

                "Go back to your hotel and read your paperwork both of you, I think you'll find it is glaringly obvious, but in case you can't see it do feel free to show it to your attorney."

 

                "Oh we will, and when we're victorious; he like you is going to regret crossing us."  Lindsay blasts.

 

                "I have no regrets Lindsay, every piece of shit, which has happened or come into my life, yes I'm including you two, has served or will serve a purpose.  Now we're done with this conversation, I want to enjoy the rest of the day with my family and see what they did in my gallery."

 

                "Your gallery?  What Bloom?  This is what I mean about gestures, so you helped Brian buy it for that ingrate?!"

 

                "Oh not Bloom, I bought Uptown with Brian as a gift to Hunter.  He's going to own it when he graduates."

 

She's gone this very funny colour and Michael is standing there in shock.

 

                "So Michael what's it going to be; you going to leave Hunter alone and eat or you going to leave?"

 

                "This is your last chance mother when I walk out of this door to start my appeal and win; remember you will have to come through me to see your granddaughter, so do I have your backing or not."

 

                "Not.  You do not.  Don't come back here, goodbye Mr DeVore."

 

My heart breaks for Debs as she watches him walk away with a stunned Lyndsay in his wake.

 

                "Come on Red I'm taking you home.  No arguing." 

 

We all look up at Carl, who nobody saw come in.  As she puts on her coat and starts to leave, Emmy Lou stands up and starts to clap.   Soon the diner is vibrating to thunderous applause as Papa Bear takes his Queen home and there isn't a dry eye in the house when the door closes behind them.

 

                "Wow, I never thought I would see the day that she would finally stand up to him."  Kiki sniffles.

 

                "Me neither."  Grizz clears his throat.  "You need some help here Kiki, our boys can run for you until she's back.  Would that be okay Tony?"

 

Tony just nods and soon the diner is buzzing with chatter.

 

                "You know I don't like lies.  But I will forgive you."  Faal smiles.  "Nicely done."

 

                "I thought so."  I kiss his nose and brush away a tear.

 

                "Oh now that was mean."  Emmy Lou giggles.  "But well deserved."

 

OUTSIDE THE DINER

 

ARNOLD

 

I thought she was bad at the country club but she's positively demonic here.

 

                "Excuse me, do you know Kiki?"  I ask a young man going into the diner.

 

                "Yeah 50s bombshell needs help with her make up?" 

 

                "That's the one.   And she needs fine tuning not help, have some respect.  Could you make sure she gets this, she left it at the café up the street."

 

He's taken aback by my sharp tone and mumbles an apology.  I smile as I watch him hand the lipstick to her.

 

I turn to Bernie who looks a little shell-shocked. 

 

                "Come on, Bernie, it's time we took things in hand."

 

FOSTER BROWN RESIDENCE

 

MILLICENT

 

I'm standing in my lounge looking in horror at my TV, I can barely catch my breath.  Harold hands me a brandy and I slowly sit down.  Bernadine takes my hand, my initial thought it is pull away I don't want her sympathy but I pause and look her.  She doesn't look like she's being a smug bitch she's looks like, maybe, a friend?

 

I finish off the rest of my brandy and take a deep breath.

 

                "Arnold can you make sure that this gets to this person please?" 

 

I quickly scribble down a name and he nods.

 

                "Now, excuse us Bernadine and I will be back in about an hour."

 

                "Where are we going?"

 

                "You'll see."

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE

 

NANCY

 

                "Nancy!  Can you come down please?"

 

I rub my temples and sigh.  He knows how busy I am today, I've got to get the invites sent out for the dinner next week and of course there's our property portfolio that I'm looking after, I'm still mad about that but we'll save a ton in fees going direct.

 

                "Can it wait, I'm really quite busy."  I call back.

 

                "No, it can't!" 

 

I'm brought up short and head downstairs.

 

                "Millicent and oh Bernadine, ladies what a pleasant surprise."

 

                "Oh come now, you don't mean that Nancy."  Bernadine replies frostily.

 

                "Ladies may I get you a drink before I leave you in..."

 

                "You need to stay too."  Millicent clips out.  "And yes a brandy each please."

 

Once we are all seated, I wait for them to speak.

 

                "How much does your daughter owe to Mitcham & Hare, at this time?"  Millicent asks.

 

                "How did you know he's our lawyer and I really don't think..."

 

                "That's not important just know that I do.  And no, you didn't, because if you had thought, we wouldn't be here.  How much?"  She demands again.

 

I have a sense of dread swirling in the pit of my stomach.

 

                "Ronald can you call him and find out."

 

                "Nancy?"

 

                "Just do it!"  I hiss at him.

 

We sit in an icy silence whilst he makes the call, when I see his eyebrows raise the feeling of doom deepens.

 

                "Are you sure that's correct?  Hang on a minute...this is just the fees up to what point.  Okay thanks."

 

                "Well?"

 

                "At this moment in time, $74,800."  He shakily pours himself a large brandy.

 

                "Up to what point?"  Bernadine demands

 

                "Apparently, this includes the court costs for settlements of the lawsuits, but with the fees from the next three cases to come it could easily go over $150K."

 

                "What lawsuits, what three cases?"  I gasp

 

                "Do you know your daughter's not working?"  Millicent asks quietly.  "She got fired from Bloom Gallery for insubordination; breach of company policy and bringing the company into disrepute."

 

                "No...no I didn't know that, how do you know that?"  I ask shakily.

 

                "Because I made it happen with a carefully placed word here and there."  She replies calmly

 

                "What why?"  I demand.

 

                "Because she hurt what's mine!  And besides that is what she did, bringing the company into disrepute what with her arrest, her almost contempt charges during her breach of promise hearing and of course harassing her ex-partner at her place of business.  My, my, my...she's been busy."  Millicent chuckles.

 

Judging by Bernadine's expression she didn't know that either and gives a quiet whistle.

 

                "Breach of promise hearing?"  Ron echoes

 

                "Yes, so back the reason we are here.  Somehow, get them to end this shit, starting with Michael Novotny, he accepts the decision the judge made and leaves it there.  If the judge rules against them in the upcoming cases they accept it and move the fuck on with their miserable little lives and leave them alone and the bill is settled promptly.  If he finds in their favour then fair enough but remember the people they are fighting have unlimited funds do you because you're who they're going to come to.  And I believe that they are up against White & Sullivan, if you lose against them well...not many firms want to take on an appeal...it would be throwing bad money after well bad"

 

                "Are you threatening me Millicent, Bernadine, as I don't appreciate you coming into my home and making demands?!" 

 

Nancy bridles but Ron has remained seated scowling at his wife.

 

"No Nancy we aren't threatening you, we are making a suggestion.  But if you want a threat then here goes, we don't care how you make it happen but make it happen because believe me if you don't to say that your name will be mud is an understatement.  I know how much you value cache Nancy and I have to admit that I do too, I like to be able to flick an eyebrow and have someone cower, but I've changed correction am changing." 

 

She scoffs and rolls her eyes, Ron glowers at her.

 

"Mock as much as you want.  There's a phrase you get more with honey than with vinegar but in your case we need vinegar...I will make sure that there isn't a realtor in the whole state of Pennsylvania that will touch you, I know exactly what you're bidding on and there is a benefit to knowing a couple of billionaires who don't like your daughter.  Do you really want to trek to Fort Chapel, Brighton Heights, and Perry Hilltop etc?

 

                "How the hell did you find out about them?  I bet Jennifer told you!"  Nancy gasps.

 

"No, Jennifer wouldn't do that.  But I heard it via oh take a guess?  Oh and that dinner next week you have planned, try to speak to her before then, I would hate for the food to go to waste."

 

                "I tried to tell you Nancy but you wouldn't listen.  You may have fooled Ron so maybe you'll listen now."  Bernadine sighs.  "Now that it really will affect you.  I think we're done here now."

 

                "Yes we are.  Well, goodbye.  We'll see ourselves out."

 

CAR SERVICE BACK TO FOSTER BROWN RESIDENCE

 

BERNADINE

 

                "So what happens after this?  When all this is done?"

 

I'm surprised when she puts her hand on mine.

 

                "You tell me about your son."