Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 48 - MEETING THE IN-LAWS PROPERLY...OH AND HUNTER vs MICHAEL IT'S ON

 

PHIL

 

                "Wait Mr Vine!  Could you just take a seat for a minute, I need to confer with my client."

 

Slowly he sits down and I haul Michael into another meeting room.

 

                "Listen Michael, listen very carefully. Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this?  It will be a semi public hearing, which means that he will be able to call people in to support his claims of your behaviour and..."

 

                "I have nothing to worry about."  He declares confidently.  "After all I've done for him.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  I need to pee, see you back in your office."

 

He leaves to go to the bathroom and I go back into the conference room.

 

                "Mr Vine, see you tomorrow."

 

                "As I said, I look forward to it.  Have a good evening Mr Mitcham."

 

As he leaves Michael comes back and scowls at him, I prayer to every higher power that he didn't see that but of course he did.  As he goes back in my office Malory looks at me.

 

                "Who shall I have for you first when they leave?  Mr Daniels or Mr Walker?"

 

                "A combination of the two with lots of ice."  I sigh.

 

                "Got it."

 

JENNIFER TAYLOR REALTORS

 

MILLIE

 

Jennifer is tapping her pen, realising she smiles apologetically.  We're waiting to hear back on an offer I've made on a place in Fox Chapel, it's a modest 3 bedroom but it in a very good neighbourhood and so cutely bijou I had to have it. 

 

We're both startled when the phone rings.

 

                "Jennifer Taylor.  Ah Mr Cork.  Yes."  She's doing a lot of nodding.  "I see.  I understand that is your prerogative.  I can assure you that this was indeed a final offer.  Good day to you."

 

                "Turned me down?"  I sigh

 

                "Yes but give it time."  She smiles as sends a text.

 

Twenty minutes later her phone rings again.

 

                "Jennifer Tay...oh Mr Cork, I'm surprised to hear from you.   Yes, she is still interested in buying the prop...but you said, ah I see, well if you're willing to accept the offer as is and take it off the market immediately then we will send the deposit to your escrow account.  Thank you Mr Court, I look forward to receiving your email."

 

                "It's yours."

 

                "What?  I don't...I mean, he just said no a few minutes ago.  What happened?"  I stammer

 

                "Seems that the other offer was withdrawn."  She shrugs

 

                "But how, I still don't understand."  I repeat as the shock wears off.

 

                "Sometimes it helps to have a billionaire in the family."  She beams at me.

 

                "Billionaire?  Wait, you're kidding me, she didn't!"  I gasp

 

                "Yep and when it was just the two of you she suddenly lost interest...odd that."  She smiles slyly

 

                "But why?  She didn't have to and you really shouldn't have asked her to do it."

 

                "I didn't ask she volunteered when I bumped into her and she took me off to vent.  As to why remember what she said when she first met you...she protects her own.  You called her all guns blazing over what they did to your goddaughter and that was it for her."

 

Jesus I think to myself, I may be the queen in some social circles but I have nothing on Zee and she doesn't flaunt it.

 

                "I should..."

 

                "No you shouldn't.  She's done what she wanted to do, leave it at that.  Now I do believe a cocktail is called for."

 

                "She's extraordinary."

 

                "Oh yes and she's recommended Speakeasy, and she has impeccable taste...look at Faal."

 

                "Jennifer!"

 

                "What I'm not blind but unlike Lyndsay I'm also not stupid."

 

BROWNSTONE - EARLY EVENING

 

Martha has been cooking up a storm, making sure that the boys have enough food before we go back to the Treehouse tomorrow. 

 

HUGO

 

                "Matt!"

 

                "Mmmph?"

 

                "See told you Matt took it."

 

Martha snorts and pulls out another tray of muffins, this time courgette, orange and hazelnut.  The goats cheese and courgette galette is one piece down...man that boy is quick, he just swept by and it was gone.  She's also done them some herb, pea and cucumber soup, which can be eaten hot or cold as well as barbequed chicken and some ribs. 

 

                "Do you think it's enough?"  She looks round sceptically.

 

                "Darling it's enough, they won't need to cook for at least a week."

 

                "They've been so busy these last two days what with Matt's exam and Hunter's show last night, they were exhausted when they got in."

 

Right on cue Hunter comes in he looks tired. 

 

                "Good news and bad news..."

 

                "Hey babe, jeez you look like shit, gonna run you a bath afterwards okay?"  Matt gives him a kiss

 

Nodding he accepts the muffin without even asking what it is.

 

                "So what's the news?"  Matt asks plopping on the love seat and pulling him into his lap.

 

                "Starting with the bad...the dissolution hearing being moved to tomorrow has not had the effect we hoped so I have to go to court, I can't understand why the fuck he's doing this!"

 

It takes him a few minutes to get himself under control and there are tears in his eyes.

 

                "And the good..."  Martha prods gently.

 

                "Lyndsay got fired."  He gives a small smile.  "Oh this is really good."

 

He leans back on Matt and sighs.

 

                "Suppose I should call the family and let them know."  He mumbles.

 

                "No you go upstairs, let Matt set you a bath; we will go to your folks tonight and I'll get Faal to call the rest of the family.  Now go." 

 

I pull them gently up and they shuffle out of the room and when I hear the tiny sniffle I seethe.  I'm brought out of my vengeful thoughts by the doorbell ringing.  Without checking I swing open the door and I just stare for a few seconds.

 

LINDSAY

 

I can see where Faal gets his looks from.

 

                "Who is it Hugo?"  Faal's mom comes to the door.

 

                "Mr and Mrs Ugerstacht, we didn't get a chance to be properly introduced, I'm Lindsay and I don't..."

 

                "Martha darling, can you go ask Matt where he keeps the shovels there's a shit on the doorstep."

 

                "I suppose I deserved that..."

 

                "No, you didn't deserve that."  Martha cuts across me.  "What you deserve is to be boiled in fat and thrown to the hogs for what you and your friend are doing to these children!"  Let alone what you tried to do with Faal!"

 

                "That's why I'm here to try to..."

 

                "What?  What did you come here to do?  Whatever it is you're days late and dollars short, you meddling vindictive trollop.  Now I want..."

 

She's looking passed me in surprise and I turn round to face Carl.

 

                "Go away Lindsay.  Neither you nor your bullshit apology is wanted here."

 

                "You can't say I didn't try."  I mutter

 

                "Yes we can.  You only try when that's the only option available for you.  A friend of mine works the Alleghany Courts and had an interesting day in Court 4, I think Hunter will find it amusing."

 

                "You can't say anything and if you do I shall sue you for breach of privacy!"  I snap.

 

                "Oh the irony!  Come in Carl."  Martha calls back walking into the kitchen

 

Hugo waves him in chuckling before turning back to me.

 

                "I have to admire you."

 

I'm surprised and smile up at him.

 

                "Why thanks and why's that?"

 

                "For your depth of stupidity and arrogance.  Zee warned you off, but still you tried.  You mistook the signs that she was biding her time for her ignoring you or even worse giving up; and of course you underestimated her strength, see she gains everything and loses nothing by destroying you."

 

                "She can't destroy me and she has everything to lose!"  I snap and stalk down the path.

 

                "The money is nothing.  She will still have Faal.  Who do you have? Where do you live?  Where do you work?  She's only just begun!"  He calls out.

 

I turn to say something but the door is already shut.

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

Phil told me to wear a suit to court tomorrow, so I have bought one, it's a little long in the sleeve but it will do.  It's at times like this I miss Brian, he would've been able to help me on this, but Boy Wonder has him ensnared in a fuckfest mind trap.  

 

Lindsay is due soon, she said she's going to grab us a take out on the way back from wherever she went.

 

                "Hey that smells good!  You okay?"

 

                "Yeah, just a little tired.  Went to the Brownstone to see if I could speak to Hunter to try and get him to stop tomorrow, amongst other things, for you but he wouldn't even come to the door."

 

                "Thanks for trying anyway.  Let's eat."

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - 0930

 

OUTSIDE COURT 4

 

IVAN

 

Hunter is looking nervous and pacing.

 

                "We can stop this now Hunter if you just withdraw the order and we can go back to what we had" 

 

He looks up at Michael Novotny

 

                "No."

 

                "Okay, I tried, come on Phil, Lindsay, let's take our seats, it's a shame you're on your own Hunter but once..."

 

                "He's not, he has us and he always will have us."  Ben's voice comes down the corridor.  "Sorry we're late there was an accident that held us up.  Everyone else is just going through security, Faal got me through first, Zee is taking care of...ah here he is."

 

I smile at Ben whose presence immediately relaxes Hunter.

 

                "Ivan Vine this is Matt, Hunter's partner.  Matt this is Ivan."

 

                "Pleased to meet you."  Matt shakes my hand.

 

                "Likewise, how much longer do you think they'll be?  I don't want to upset the judge by being late."

 

                "Well we'll see you in there."  Michael smirks.

 

As the door closes behind them I look at the clock and hope and pray that they get through soon. 

 

                "Here they are."  Ben points up the corridor

 

I stare as what can only be describe as a crowd of people come towards us, Hunter stops pacing and gapes at them.

 

                "What are you all doing here?"

 

                "Supporting you.  Hi, I'm Kiki and you are the doll I hope is Ivan?"

 

                "Yes, hit on him later!"  Debs admonishes.  "Let's get in."

 

We all file in and I watch the blonde woman do a double take and tap Novotny's shoulder, he turns round and registers surprise.

 

USHER

 

                "All rise for Judge Meriam Maatje."

 

                "This is the hearing of the dissolution of foster care and adoption order of Hunter Bruckner by Michael Novotny.  Mr Bruckner wants this dissolved Mr Novotny is challenging your honour."

 

                "Thank you, please be seated.  Ah Mr Mitcham we meet again different client this time.  Proceed."

 

PHIL

 

                "Your Honour in front of you is a dissolution of order that my client feels should be dismissed as he feels that his son who he loves dearly is being unduly influenced by other people in his life to cut him out..."

 

                "Bullshit." 

 

                "Who spoke then?"  Judge Maatje demands

 

                "I did, my name is George Stephenson your honour and I apologise for speaking out of turn but I just couldn't help it, it won't happen again."

 

                "Thank you.  Continue Mr Mitcham."

 

                "Uh thank you your honour.  Unduly influenced by people trying to cut him out of his life in order to isolate and take advantage of him..."

 

There is murmuring and someone muttering ‘hush it's done now'.  Lindsay looks across smugly, I don't know why there are about 30 people on his side all glaring daggers at us.  I hear her whisper to him something about no decorum and want to run screaming out of the room.

 

                "For their own ends, your honour.  My client wants to protect him and can only do that if he remains legally his father."

 

                "Mr Vine you may proceed."

 

IVAN

 

                "Your honour, for ease of identification may we call Hunter and Ben Bruckner by their first names during this hearing?"

 

                "We may.  Proceed."

 

"Thank you your honour.  Hunter has one father in this court and his name is Ben, he has always been his true dad even before he was formally adopted, which Ben not Mr Novotny pushed for.  In fact from the outset Mr Novotny was against Hunter even being in their building let alone their lives."

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                "Proceed with your first witness Mr Mitcham."

 

                "Excuse me your honour?"  A small but determined voice interrupts. 

 

I look up to a young girl looking nervous and everyone staring at her in surprise.

 

                "Uh and you are?"

 

                "Jenny Marcus Peterson, well I want to be Jenny Marcus Bruckner, but I'm a Marcus Peterson at the moment.  So can I say something?  I'll be real quick just to clear something up."

 

                "You may indeed, but you need to come up here to say it."  I indicate the chair next to me she quickly takes the seat.  "Now what's so important, that you had to interrupt?"

 

                "George didn't say that earlier, I did and he took the blame, I didn't want you to be mad at him.  So I'm sorry for swearing and interrupting."

 

There is a ripple of laughter at that and I can't help the smile tugging at my lips.

 

                "Well thank you for your honesty I appreciate that, I don't always get it in court.  You may retake your seat now."

 

                "Thank you your honour."

 

                "Continue Mr Mitcham."

 

For the next hour there is background story on both Hunter and Novotny with no counsel discourse, I'm pretty sure that is not going to continue.

 

PHIL

 

                "I call to the stand Michael Novotny.  Now Mr Novotny, let's talk about the time that everyone agrees that the relationship between yourself and Hunter went downhill, can you talk me through that?"

 

                "Yes, Hunter was being a typical teenager and acting out.  I was always made out to be the bad guy but I wasn't I was just trying to instil some discipline.  I've always loved Hunter and I feel that he played us against each other.  He would also abuse his friendship with my best friend's son Gus."

 

                "How would he do that?"

 

                "Well he would always get him to get him stuff and they would take him to see him when he couldn't come over from Canada."

 

                "Who is the he you're referring to?"

 

                "Brian Kinney, my best friend, Hunter took advantage of him."

 

                "Oh okay.  But back to when the relationship between you and Hunter deteriorated why did that happen?"

 

                "Because he took him ice skating and he caught pneumonia and almost died, I suppose I blamed him for that a bit but I got over it."

 

I blink rapidly at that and turn to look at Ivan, who is still just smiling at me.

 

                "Was there any instances after you're then husband's illness that caused a fracturing in your relationship with Hunter."

 

                "No."

 

                "No further questions, right to recall."

 

        "Mr Vine you may proceed."

 

IVAN

 

                "Mr Novotny, you say that the relationship between you and Hunter got worse because of Hunter taking advantage of Brian Kinney is that correct?"

 

                "Yes."

 

                "Are you sure it wasn't because he was getting things that you weren't.  Whereas before if you asked for something from Mr Kinney he would give it without question or expect repayment.  Now that he shares everything jointly with his fiancé Justin Taylor this is no longer the case.  An example, some time ago you wanted a loan to refurbish your then store Red Cape Comics correct and for Hunter's college fund?"

 

                "Uh yes and I got that loan..."

 

                "But you didn't refurbish the store, what did you use it for?"

 

                "Objection.  Relevance."

 

                "Relevance will become clear if I'm allowed to proceed."

 

                "Overruled."

 

                "I used it for investments purposes and to buy some other store enhancements."

 

                "How are those investments coming along?"

 

                "They're not.  The person I trusted with the money used it for another purpose and..."

 

                "With your permission."

 

                "No!"

 

                "You have a microphone and I'm in front of you no need to shout Mr Novotny.  I bring your attention to document 1A, do you recognise this email?"

 

                "Yes."

 

                "Can you read the last line out to the court?"

 

                "As long as I'm providing a future for me and my daughter, you do what you need to achieve the greater good."

 

                "Shouldn't that be me, my husband, my son and my daughter...?"

 

                "Well with what they have I wasn't sure they would be around."

 

                "Come now Mr Novotny, you had an uncle with the same illness who lasted over 20 years from diagnosis and these days with medical advances, you are being gauche to say the least in that response.  Now with regards to the loan you only have to repay half as they gifted the college fund to Hunter correct?" 

 

                "Yes."

 

                "Objection.  Relevance."

 

                "Will become clear your honour."

 

                "Get there quickly."

 

                "You mentioned that you blamed Hunter for Ben getting sick but isn't it the case that he's responsible for him getting better?"

 

                "No that was due to my best friend Brian Kinney."

 

                "Who at the pleading of Hunter asked the doctor to take a look at the medication he was taking as he thought this was the cause and not the pneumonia.  Had he asked you to speak to the doctors at all?"

 

                "Yes but I said that the doctors knew best and..."

 

                "Didn't that lead to a row between the two of you?  After which you drove to Mr Taylor's house and stayed there for almost a week with the car but visited Ben using a service provided by Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor correct?"

 

                "Uh yes..."

 

                "Why didn't you return the car so that Hunter could use it to visit his father?"

 

                "I needed the car..."

 

                "But you had the service.  Surely Hunter's need was more urgent.  In fact wasn't it due to exhaustion of having to take public transport every time that led to Hunter's collapse and hospitalisation?"

 

                "Well he wasn't eating properly so that..."

 

                "Did you visit him?"

 

                "Ben of course I visited him."

 

I give a quick smile.

 

                "Hunter did you visit Hunter?"

 

                "They were in the same room so yes."

 

                "Not for the first two days of his hospitalisation.  Did you visit him then?"

 

                "My main concern was Ben."

 

"Hmm.  Hunter recovered faster than Ben correct?"

 

"Yes."

 

        "And did he help you with assisting Ben in his recuperation."

 

        "I suppose he did but he overdid it, he started to mollycoddle him."

 

        "And you didn't like that.  In fact you made your resentment of his so called mollycoddling so very obvious that people were commenting and Ben asked you to ease up on him and in the end he gave you an ultimatum after one row too many would you say that was true?"

 

He shifts in his seat and looks at Mitcham, who is reading through the paperwork.

 

                "I was drunk at the time and..."

 

                "Actually isn't it the case that you discovered purely by chance that Hunter was going to Mr Kinney's loft and followed him for a few weekends and during one of the family dinners you accused him of stealing your loft key, making a copy and using the loft as a fuckpad for him and his boyfriend?  When in fact Mr Kinney had given him the key so that he could have some respite from your constant sniping?"

 

                "No but..."

 

                "In fact, didn't Mr Kinney point out that the locks had been changed so your key wouldn't have worked and threatened you that if you caused any problems with Hunter and the loft he would sign the loft over to him?"

 

Again I look at Mitcham who is just staring at him.

 

                "Yes but..."

 

                "Did you apologise to Hunter for your false accusations?"

 

                "If he had told me what..."

 

                "That would be a no then?  Now during this argument can you remember what you demanded back from Hunter for this so called abuse of trust?"

 

                "No."

 

                "Let me refresh your memory, you demanded the college fund back, a gift from Mr Kinney, which was nothing to do with you.  Now let's move onto something else, do you have a will?"

 

More shifting.

 

                "Yes but it needs updating." 

 

                "I'll bet.  I draw your attention to document 1B - so this is the most up to date one?"

 

                "Y-yes."

 

                "From what I can see it was updated after they were discharged from hospital.  Now in the bequest sections you leave to Jenny Rebecca and to Benjamin Bruckner in the event of you pre-deceasing them, again Hunter seems to be missing from there."

 

                "Like I said it needs updating."

 

                "You've had time.  Do you know that Hunter has already got his will prepared?  And it was updated just after they were discharged as well, in his previous will he left a bequest to you in this one he didn't.  Did you know about the previous will?"

 

"No."

 

"Now you mentioned a boyfriend would this be Matt Stark?"

 

                "Yes." 

 

                "You don't seem to approve of him.  Why is that?"

 

                "He has violent tendencies."

 

                "Towards Hunter, surely Ben wouldn't condone that considering his history and from what I see he seems very fond of Matt."

 

                "Towards me he attacked me...purely unprovoked."

 

                "Mr Novotny just because this is a hearing does not mean that the laws on perjury do not apply.  Now, we will come back to that incident, what I wish to talk about is when they first met.  You didn't get off on the right foot with Matt's father Faal Ugerstacht after your ill thought out joke suggesting that he and his friends should be basketball players instead of doing motocross correct?"

 

                "I wasn't serious he took it the wrong way..."

 

                "So how did you expect Hunter to take it when you attempted to tell Matt about his illness, whilst he was standing there?  In fact, in order to shield his son, didn't Ben volunteer his illness?  Which led to Ben giving you a month to adjust your behaviour towards Hunter is that correct?"

 

                "Yes but I...I wasn't going to tell him I wanted to speak about that in general."

 

                "Of course you weren't, luckily he was not fazed by this and they are in a committed monogamous relationship and are living together is that correct?"

 

                "Yes in a Brownstone in the middle of the city."

 

        "Speaking of domiciles.  Where are you currently residing?"

 

        "Courtyard Hotel.  I was in a property in Shadyside but that tenancy came to an end because of the..."

 

                "Wasn't the loft row the reason you were removed from the marital home by Ben, do you hold some resentment towards Hunter that he didn't tell you?  And were you jealous of him having access to that hallowed property that...

 

                "Hallowed Mr Vine?"  Judge Maatje questions

 

                "Before Brian Kinney met Justin Taylor he was somewhat legendary.  Have you heard of Liberty Avenue your honour?"

 

                "Of course."

 

                "And have you heard of the Stud of Liberty Avenue?"

 

                "Yes oh...that's Mr Kinney?"

 

                "Was he's happily retired now."  I smile

 

                "I see, where is Mr Kinney?"

 

                "Here your honour."  He stands up

 

                "Mr Taylor is a very lucky man."  She quips.  "You may sit Mr Kinney.  Continue Mr Vine."

 

"Thank you your honour.  So Mr Novotny, were you resentful that he had the loft and you didn't?  Now to the unprovoked attack by Matt Stark when did this happen?"

 

                "It was after Ben and I separated, we were in the diner and I was calling him out on his affair with his personal trainer, when I was leaving he hit me without reason."

 

                "Mr Novotny come-come now, two untruths in one sentence is pushing it..."

 

                "Objection, badgering."

 

                "Sustained."

 

                "Okay, Mr Novotny isn't it true that you muttered as you were leaving ‘you always put that diseased bastard first anyway' and that was the reason Matt hit you?"

 

That hit home with the judge like I thought it would.

 

                "Mr Novotny answer the question."

 

                "I was angry at the things going on in my marriage and he brought up Hunter and..."

 

                "When Hunter found about what you said have you apologised to him for it?"

 

        "He's called me names too!"

 

        "So no then.  Now onto the final estrangement from Hunter, what led to this?

 

        "No idea he just stopped talking to me whenever he would see me in the street he would walk in the opposite direction."

 

        "And you're still puzzled by this despite the conversations we've been having for the last 50 minutes?"

 

        "Mr Vine."

 

        "Apologies your honour.  What can you tell me about your relationship with Rita Montgomery?"

 

        "There isn't one.  She was a drug abuser and..."

 

                "Are you sure about that?  So this isn't you giving her money after sending her to Hunter's place of work in order to cause disruption?"

 

                "Objection!  This picture does not suggest that?"

 

                "We can provide statements from customers of the diner who witnessed Mr Novotny be greeted by Rita Montgomery to thank him for directions to Uptown Gallery, where Hunter works, but he was not in.  Then Mr Novotny played the hero and threw her out of the diner when he suddenly recognised her.  So what other reason is there?"

 

                "Overruled."

 

                "Mr Novotny?"

 

                "She wanted to see him, like I said to Ben at the time I didn't recognise her and..."

 

                "Mr Novotny, please stop before you perjure yourself.  You wouldn't want to spend another night in jail, would you?"

 

I hear a groan behind me and I know it's not from our side.

 

"Only a few more questions for now.  Mr Novotny do you like Hunter?"

 

"He's changed since he took up with those people."

 

"It's a yes or no question do you like Hunter?"

 

"Not as much as I did before but I do love him enough to want to remain in his life." 

 

He looks pleased with this answer and shoots a smug smirk at me.

 

                "Why?"

 

                "Like I said he's changed since he..."

 

                "No why do you love him?  Because on paper it looks like you have no son, there is nothing here to indicate that he is in your life but yet you claim to love him."

 

                "I..."

 

                "Now my second question..."

 

                "Objection he's already asked it."

 

                "Your honour Mr Novotny's answer opened up another avenue of questioning for me.  I still have to ask my second original question."

 

"Overruled...just."

 

"When was the last time you spoke to Hunter other than the weekend in which these papers were served and the weekend where he refused to give you or his Gus's mother a share of his finders' fee from some pictures he found?  In fact didn't he call you out on your sudden interest in his health when you found out how much the finders' was?"

 

I had expected Mitcham to object to the additional question but there was nothing.

 

                "Mr Novotny?"

 

                "I can't exactly recall when we had a face to face or phone discussion but it was..."

 

                "Christmas was the face to face discussion when you gave him a t-shirt and that was only because you wanted to attend the Christmas dinner at the Treehouse as you knew that Brian Kinney would be present.  In fact the only time you have seen Hunter has been during the lunches and dinners to which you were reluctantly invited, during which time you barely acknowledged him and the one time you did you were almost removed from Mr Taylor's home?  And as to the phone answer; you've not called him since you called him about Ben's hospitalisation."

 

                "That's not true about the t-shirt and I was with him mostly every day up until the separation so there was no need for me to call him.  And if he wanted to talk to me he should've made the effort to."

 

Another groan.

 

"No further questions right to recall."

 

                "Court is in recess for 30 minutes."  Judge Maatje announces.

 

USHER

 

                "All rise."

 

MEETING ROOM 2

 

PHIL

 

That was the worst 60 minutes of my life!  We're sitting in the room in silence trying to digest what happened.

 

                "So when I asked you if you could refute anything they could bring up what did you hear?"

 

                "It wasn't that bad and once I'm on the stand it will be fine."  Lindsay crows. "I'll make Michael shine..."

 

                "Were we in the same room?  Did you see the amount of people on his side?  And I know you tend to dismiss people that you don't deem important enough but you do realise that the judge is the same judge that made you rewrite the letter yesterday?!"

 

                "We can get her on impartiality or whatever it is if she rules against him."

 

                "No we can't.  Michael, in order to salvage what little reputation you have right now just sign the order and move on.  They have two more witnesses to bring one of them is Hunter and the one before that is..."

 

                "Ben I know but..."

 

                "For the love of fucking God!"  I roar.  "Why can't you two fucking read things that I put in front of you?!"

 

They are for once stunned into silence.

 

                "Everything okay in there?"  A voice calls out

 

I quickly open the door and smile.

 

                "Yes everything is fine.  Sorry about that."

 

On closing the door I turn back to them and they have their brat expressions on.

 

                "Jenny.  They are going to bring in Jenny first and then Hunter."  I reply somewhat quieter.

 

                "So what?"  Lindsay demands.

 

                "They are calling as a witness a child who wants to be emancipated from you, both of you, and who has already charmed the judge, are you not seeing a problem here?"

 

                "This isn't the emancipation trial though."  Michael points out.

 

                "What this hearing not a trial is about is irrelevant...imagine how it looks."

 

There is a parallel universe where I'm not wanting to rip off my face and eat it with frustration!

 

                "But no sane and sensible judge would allow that to come to court and..."  Lyndsay starts to declare

 

                "Recess for Court 4 is over.  All parties return!"  A voice calls out

 

COURT 4

 

PHIL

 

                "I call to the stand Lindsay Peterson." 

 

I try to ignore the wince from the judge.

 

                "Ms Peterson how long have you know Mr Novotny?"

 

                "Over 18 years, he's one of mine and Brian's dear friends."

 

                "Brian?"

 

                "Brian Kinney we share a son together."

 

                "I see.  Would you say that Mr Novotny was a good father to Hunter?"

 

                "Is a good father and should remain as such.  As I've, I mean it's been said it is outside influences that have turned his head and left him unappreciative of Michael's help in providing him with a home, food, shelter and support in schooling after school activities."

 

                "Thank you no further questions."

 

I think that went better than I expected no embellishing or anything.

 

                "Mr Vine you may proceed."

 

IVAN

 

                "Ms Peterson, we won't run over old ground regarding Hunter's schooling, what about since then, since he started working at Uptown Gallery, how supportive has Mr Novotny been?"

 

                "Very."

 

                "In what way, has he attended any showings that he's hosted?"

 

                "He tried to but due to over-capacity he couldn't get in."

 

                "Now Ms Peterson you and I both know that's not true don't we?"

 

                "Pardon?"

 

                "Isn't it true that you were in the diner denigrating the fact that Hunter had this showing for Justin Taylor, which you thought you should be hosting, and Mr Novotny wanted to go ‘just for the laughs' and you used your contacts, a one Sydney Bloom, to get him on the waiting list?"

 

                "I uh..."

 

                "I have a sworn statement from one of the waitresses at the diner who overheard the conversation, Ms Peterson isn't that what Mr Novotny said, remember the rules of perjury still apply."

 

                "He didn't mean it in the malicious way you suggest and..."

 

                "Now let's talk about the decline in his relationship with Hunter.  You say you have a close relationship with Mr Novotny correct?"

 

                "Yes as I said he's a very dear friend of mine and..."

 

                "Did he discuss his fears with you over his declining relationship with Hunter?"

 

                "Uh..."

 

                "Did you encourage him to seek out Hunter to try and repair this rift?"

 

                "I..."

 

                "You?"

 

                "I didn't think it was my place to interfere in his dealings with Hunter but would have offered advice when it was requested."

 

                "And was it?  Requested, the advice I mean did he come to you?"

 

                "Not really."

 

                "Let's touch briefly on the statement you made about not interfering in his dealings with Hunter?"

 

                "Objection.  Relevance?"

 

                "It's customary Mr Mitcham to have your reason for your objection ready not to hedge a bet.  Overruled."

 

                "As I was saying Ms Peterson, you didn't feel the need to interfere in his relationship with Hunter but felt the need to voice your objection to the college fund that Mr Kinney set up why was that?"

 

                "I didn't think he needed it."

 

                "Everyone child a college fund why wouldn't Hunter?"

 

                "Well ah, I didn't mean it like that."

 

                "Mean what like what?  Since that question is too difficult to answer let's move on.  Why are you supporting Mr Novotny I mean apart from him being a dear friend?  I would've thought that you being a supporter and fund raiser for AIDS charities would find his comments regarding Hunter abhorrent?"

 

                "I did I mean I do."

 

                "So you advised him to apologise for them?"

 

                "It was not my place to offer advice..."

 

                "But it is your place as a dear friend to suggest the use of common sense is it not?"

 

                "Of course the most common sense thing would have been to apologise but too much time..."

 

                "It doesn't matter when you say sorry Ms Peterson as long as you do, as you would know."

 

Her face goes bright red and she goes to say something but the look from Mitcham silences her.

 

                "No further question right to recall."

 

                "Mr Mitcham.

 

                "I call Jenny Marcus Peterson."

 

Gotcha!

 

PHIL

 

                "Hi Jenny how are you?"

 

                "Fine thank you and yourself?"

 

                "I've had better days I have to admit.  So let's start with the relationship between yourself and Mr Novotny or would you prefer me to call him dad?"

 

                "I uh...you see...there's a little problem with that."

 

                "And that would be?"

 

                "I don't want him to be my dad anymore."

 

                "Why not?"

 

                "Because of the way he treated Hunter and the lies he told me about other things."

 

                "I see.  Did you always have a close relationship with Hunter?"

 

She shakes her head.

 

                "Oh sorry.  I...no, I didn't."

 

                "Why not?"

 

                "Because I was jealous of Gus and Hunter ripped me a new one for upsetting him.  You see I...did you want me to explain what I did?"

 

                "Yes please continue." 

 

How is she this man's kid she's adorable!

 

                "I would always use to feel that Gus could have whatever he wanted because of who his dad is and I felt I couldn't because of who my dad is and I interfered at lot.  And made sure that I would always know when he was visiting Uncle Brian so that I could tell my dad and he could suggest that I come at the same time so that he, um, he wouldn't have to pay for the tickets.  Which I'm embarrassed about but I only did that at the time because dad asked me to.  But anyway.  There was one time I pushed it too far and broke his phone and Gus didn't talk to me for 10 days, which would've been fine as at the time I was a bitchy bratty 12 year old but when papa, Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin found out what I was doing, they were so disappointed in me and made me apologise to him but it was when Hunter asked if I was doing it because I wanted to or because I was told to that it really hit home..."

 

                "What hit home?"

 

                "How much I didn't want to have that relationship with Gus that my dad has with Uncle Brian, he claimed that Uncle Brian is like a brother to him but I didn't want to treat my brother like that anymore.  So I went to Hunter and we carried Gus into the bathroom, he locked us in and I begged Gus to let me talk about how I felt.  He did and we ended up talking about everything and we got better and now I couldn't wish for two better brothers or best friends."

 

                "How did your dad treat your Uncle Brian?"

 

                "Like he owed him and owned him.  He really doesn't like that Hunter is one of the ushers for Uncle Brian and papa is going to be one for Uncle Justin, which also annoyed him."

 

                "And what is your dad's role in your Uncle Brian's wedding?"

 

                "Nothing, he's not even invited.  Uncle Ted is now his best friend and is going to be his best man."

 

                "Do you think, wait let me word this a bit differently..."

 

                "That he wants to stay in Hunter's life because he will get to find out about Uncle Brian?  Yes I do.  I won't tell him shi...I mean anything, sorry your honour."

 

                "Thank you.  But if it helps, take a breath before you answer a question that way you can cool your thoughts and words."

 

She nods and then chews her lip and then looks at me and then the judge.

 

                "Jenny is there a problem?"  Judge Maatje asks

 

                "Well I did a bad thing and I want to let you know what I did just in case he brings it up and why I did it."

 

I wasn't expecting this, I look at Vine and his face is blank, he'd be excellent at poker.

 

                "So what did you do that was so bad?"  Judge Maatje asks

 

                "We now live in Squirrel Hill and he and her came to visit us and whilst they were there he, he said something about Hunter I didn't like and I ran into him really hard and called him a very bad word."

 

                "You ran into him, how do you mean, you mean you hit him with something?"

 

                "Yes your honour?"

 

                "And what was it?"

 

                "Do you know roller derby your honour?"

 

                "I don't know the intricacies of it but I have seen Whip It if that helps."

 

                "You have isn't it excellent!  Well I'm a jammer and I jammed my body into his stomach area and said the bad word when he said, he said that Hunter almost killed papa when he knew that wasn't true.  But I had such an amount of anger for him since Christmas and it just exploded and although I apologise to him for the way I handled it I don't regret why I handled it, if you understand?"

 

                "I do indeed and that was very mature and responsible of you.  Does Mr Novotny accept the apology?"

 

                "She's not really sorry, though, she's been hanging round Hunter too much and has picked up his mealy mouthed entitled attitude so they need distance when this farce is over..."

 

And just when I thought he couldn't say anything stupid to the judge!

 

                "Jenny thank you very much, you may return to your seat.  Court is in recess for 10 minutes all parties to remain except counsel.  Counsel to my chambers now."

 

HUNTER

 

                "Mel what's going on?" 

 

                "Honey I don't know."

 

JUDGE MAATJE'S CHAMBERS

 

                "Phil are you okay, I thought you were going to explode so decided a quick break with distance was called for."

 

                "Thanks Meriam, I appreciate it."

 

                "Do you want some water?"  Ivan asks

 

He shakes his head and just stares into space so we sit in silence for the remaining time.

 

                "Ready?"  Ivan asks

 

                "Yeah."  He sighs.

 

COURT 4

 

USHER

 

                "All rise."

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                "Mr Mitcham you may proceed."

 

PHIL

 

                "Mr Mitcham you may proceed."  She prompts me again

 

I look at the paperwork and then at Michael and I mean really look at him and then I stand.

 

                "Your honour...your honour.  I have a six year old girl, she's smart and funny and is everything to me.  No matter how mad she makes me when she does something bad she's everything to me.  I can't protect her from ever being hurt but I can protect her from ever being hurt by me.  I can't imagine a day when she doesn't want me to be her father, whilst I am still living.  For her to think that would have me crawling over broken glass and flames for her forgiveness the moment I was issued with the order not delaying instruction to respond.  And it speaks volumes that he has, excuse me...bear with me...he-he has s-so many people supporting him that I cannot in all good consciousness call Hunter Bruckner to the stand.  He doesn't need to give a reason why Michael Novotny should have this order issued against him, Michael Novotny has done that himself."

 

                "Mitcham what the fuck are you doing?"  Lindsay demands as gasps and muttering abound

 

                "Silence in my court!"

 

                "Your hon-honour..."

 

                "Mr Mitcham can you proceed?"

 

I nod, sniff deeply and sigh.

 

                "Yes, your honour.  He doesn't love him, he barely likes him but he wants him for what he can give him access to, please don't let him use him.  I'm aware that my actions will most likely lead to a fine and this hearing being heard again but..."

 

                "I don't like dramatics in my court Mr Mitcham.  And I also don't like being told what to do."

 

                "For which I apologise your honour but like Jenny I don't regret the action."

 

                "But I also know what is right and just, the order against Michael Novotny is granted."

 

                "What the fuck!"  Michael explodes.

 

                "Again silence in court!  Mr Novotny you will sit and you will listen or you will be charged with contempt taken down to the cells, which is it going to be?"

 

Slowly he sits down with his arms folded and glowering at her.

 

                "Bailiff take Mr Novotny down the cells, I will issue him with a written explanation as to my decision."

 

                "What why I sat down?!"

 

Judge Maatje waits until he is removed from court, still shouting, to continue.

 

                "My decision is based partly on what Mr Mitcham said but mostly on what Mr Novotny didn't.  At no point was I, ever and I mean ever, convinced that Mr Novotny wanted to be in your life Hunter because of fatherly love and concern.  To me his actions spoke of jealousy of your friendship with Gus but more importantly of your relationship with Brian Kinney and how close you are to him.  In fact he's issued a statement stating that he views you as another son, he's made a promise to look after you in the event of Ben's death; my apologies both he and Mr Taylor have made that promise.  And the most telling thing for me during this hearing is that Mr Novotny didn't look at you once.  Now that chapter of your life is closed is there anything else I can help you with?"

 

Hunter is just sitting there in shock.

 

                "It's, it's over he's out of my life legally now?"

 

                "Yes."  She replies.  "He's gone, literally and figuratively." 

 

                "Yes!"  Someone screams out.

 

                "Good grief who the hell was that?"  She demands.

 

                "Sorry your honour I'm his grandmother, Debbie Horvath."

 

                "I see, well Ben you have a very enthusiastic mother."

 

                "Oh no, no your honour I'm Michael's mother.  Just because he's losing the Novotny name doesn't mean he's losing me.  We're still family, hell everyone on this side is my little family but these people in the first two rows are my most important ones"

 

She leans back in her chair, nods and smile before she then turns back to me and a fuming Lindsay.

 

                "Mr Mitcham is there anything else you wish to say.  Do you think your client will challenge this?"

 

                "No your honour, but if he does he will have to find another lawyer to represent him." 

 

                "Fine, let's hope this matter is at an end.  This dissolution hearing is hereby settled."

 

USHER

 

                "All rise."

 

LINDSAY

 

I can't believe what just happened!  Words will be had with Mitcham later on but first I need to speak to Brian and let him know what his ingrate has done.

 

                "Brian may I have a word?"

 

                "What?" 

 

                "I just wanted to know if you're aware of what Justin has done.  He bought Bloom Gallery behind your back and now has had..."

 

                "I know you've been fired Lindsay.  And he didn't buy Bloom Gallery behind my back, I bought it for him as a wedding present, but because you were being such a bitch I had to give it to him earlier than I wanted.  Now go and get your best friend out of jail, we've got celebrating to do."

 

I watch bewildered as he starts to walk away before stopping and turning back.

 

                "Oh and one other thing, you always spout about who you know in the art world and in the WASP world well a six year old girl cost you your job."

 

                "What are you talking about now?"

 

But he continues to walk away, I'm startled when I turn back to face Jennifer.

 

                "Callie Mitcham is Millicent Foster Brown's goddaughter Lindsay and like I said I'm a better WASP than you.  Oh and you need to tell your parents about that, she's mad at them too.  Now excuse me it's time to join the party."