Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 42 - WHEN IT'S ALL ABOUT APPEARANCES...WASPS & IDIOTS TAKE NOTE

 

BRIAN

 

I've got this massive lump in my throat and my eyes are burning.  Damn these ninjas peeling onions I think to myself as I try to collect myself.  Suddenly, I find myself wrapped in the warm arms of another blonde called Jennifer, rubbing soothing circles on my back.

 

                "Allergies?"  She murmurs.

 

I just nod and through my tears can see Justin is similarly affected and he's in Deb's arms.

 

                "Let's go make something to eat, people need coffee right?"  Carl's tone is brusque but thick.

 

He starts to usher them out.

 

                "Uh guys take me with you!"  Daphne calls out from the screen.

 

Vince dashes back to pick her up.

 

                "Sorry babe.  So what time's your flight?"

 

I never hear her answer as he closes the door.

 

KITCHEN

 

EMMY LOU

 

                "The genius as decreed by the lawyer here, me a genius, has a question.  What do we do now?"

 

Zee pulls out two bottles of bubbles from the back kitchen.

 

                "Fuck coffee.  First we fix up some food.  Can heat up some leftover Nakama for now, I over ordered last night..."  She says sheepishly.

 

This gets nods all round and we start to pull something together, they of course have impeccable timing and nobody says a word about it.

 

                "Again what do we do now?"  I ask.  "Faal, lobster, you're feeding them lobster, really?" 

 

Faal shrugs and Zee rolls her eyes.

 

                "So Carl you reckon we've got three days before they surface right?  So the most important thing is to get you guys moved up to Squirrel Hill..."

 

                "We'll all help."  Blake tells them.

 

                "I can sort vans and stuff but you guys have to be out of there before Monday..."

 

                "Baz its Faal, we need to arrange a move from the Brownstone to...oh okay thanks."

 

                "What?"

 

                "Bernie gave him a heads up when you asked for new keys, vans on their way now."

 

                "Right so come on people let's move!"  Debs orders.

 

                "Hey wait, wait a minute aren't you forgetting something!"  Daphne calls out.

 

                "Uh can't think of anything, vans what else?  I mean obviously everyone acts as normal when they see them..."

 

                "Blue and orange and why does Carl know you have three days."

 

                "Oh, had forgotten about that!"  Jennifer cackles.  "Please can I tell them?"

 

Zee grins and nods and settles back in Faal's arms and starts to chuckle.  By the time Jennifer has finished telling us everyone is crying this time with laughter.

 

                "I would love to see that, I can just imagine them running round blindly..."  Justin snickers

 

                "Hang on.  Mattias it's Zaden, hey sweets.  Look the problems with the Brownstone should be over by the end of this week, I just wondered if you had a copy of the...you legend.  Cheers darling."

 

She grins at us all.

 

                "Your wish Justin is my command.  Now come on seriously let's get you guys out of there."

 

PITTSBURGH POLICE STATION

 

LINDSAY

 

                "Thank you for bailing us out daddy."  I mutter

 

                "Put these on and not a fucking word!"  He shoves some hooded coats in to our hands and stalks out.

 

                "Excuse me, best suggestion is lots of scrubbing to remove the top layer of skin, it should be gone in about 3 days since it was diluted but it may take a week..."  The desk sergeant smirks.

 

SHADYSIDE

 

Daddy didn't stop he just dropped us off without saying a word.  We both sit on the sofa in silence looking at each other and our orange and blue skin.

 

                "So now what do we do?  Apart from try and get this shit off our skin?"  Michael pouts.  "That was my favourite jacket and the top is vintage.  What about your clothes, anything salvageable for you?"

 

                "No not a damn thing.  That was a suede coat!  I am so fucked off!  And on top of that nothing from Mel, but to be honest Phil said that it was to be expected legally wise but I thought she would at least call."

 

                "Maybe she's in shock at you making the first strike, considering she's a lawyer."

 

I smile at him and he smiles back revealing orange and blue teeth.

 

                "Please tell me my teeth aren't like yours?"  I whimper

 

                "Um..."

 

SQUIRREL HILL - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

GUS

 

                "Mom can I go dirt tracking now that Aunt Leda has finally finished triple checking my bike?"

 

Mom looks up from the stew she's cooking and raises an eyebrow.

 

                "I mean now that Aunt Leda has assured herself of the safety of my bike..."

 

                "Better, yes and you have an hour.  Where's Jenny?  Jenny!" 

 

                "Yes mom."  She croaks.

 

As she comes in we both just stare at her, she had said she wasn't feeling well this morning and now she looks dreadful.

 

                "Jesus, Leda!  Honey what's wrong?  Gus get the thermometer."

 

                "I think I may be coming down with a cold and I have a headache." 

 

                "What's the yell...Christ, shall we get to a doctor?"  Leda is already grabbing her coat and keys.

 

                "Here mom." 

 

We all watch as she takes her temperature.

 

                "103 that's it bed!  Now young lady.  Dammit that's all we need."

 

                "I'll take her up and you call the family."  Leda orders as she scoops J up as if she's nothing.

 

JENNY'S ROOM

 

                "Aunt Leda you can put me down you know."  I sniffle.

 

                "Yeah I know.  Jenny why is it so cold in here?"

 

                "Is it?  I feel like a furnace."

 

She puts me under the covers and checks the radiator and the window and curses.

 

                "Okay you out of there.  We'll make up a bed on the sofa, did you by any chance open the window last night?"

 

I nod tiredly.

 

                "Just wanted to air the room out a bit."

 

                "Well you forgot to close it and that's what's most probably caused the chill and headache, well that and the stress of the week.  Go on go downstairs, I'll join you in a minute.

 

I head down to the kitchen and explain to mom why I'm back.  She shakes her head and follows me into the lounge with a cup of tea after watching me take two pills.

 

                "I've spoken to grandma, she said that she and grandpa are coming up with chicken soup...no arguing but said J is to have at least an hour's sleep."  Gus tells her.

 

                "Mom I don't..."

 

                "Don't worry J, grandpa's already making the calls." 

 

I snuggle under the blankets and rest my head on Aunt Leda's lap and the last thing I'm aware of is the heaviness of Butch and Sundance on my legs and her fingers through my hair.

 

BEN & HUNTER'S

 

STEVE

 

                "Damn!  Ben!"

 

                "What?  What's wrong?" 

 

                "That was Carl, Jenny's caught a chill and is sick, seems she slept with the window open.  So we're not going up there today."

 

                "Steve, its okay she's not contagious I just want..."

 

                "No.  She has a temp of 103 and needs rest, we've been ordered to stay away, grandparents only."

 

He looks so disappointed.

 

                "Look I know you want to see her but she needs rest okay.  Now come on let's watch some trash TV to take your mind off it."

 

He nods and then grabs a bottle of wine and the glasses and hands them to me.

 

                "Or we could see what the big deal about honey dust is..."

 

                "Yeah that let's do that!"

 

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

                "Poor Jenny, she's caught a chill and is off limits to everyone but grandparents."

 

Matt and Hunter come down having caught the end of the conversation, Hunter immediately calls Gus, ten minutes later he's not happy but understands.

 

                "Okay you two you need to listen and understand the rules."  Faal begins.

 

                "What rules?"  Matt asks.

 

                "You are not to turn it into a frat house.  You are not to piss off the neighbours, they've endured enough and most importantly, you are to turn it into your home.  If you need things changing then we will but if I can make a few suggestions?"

 

They both nod at him.

 

                "Leave the basement as is.  I know you like your baths and stuff maybe turn the top floor into a kind of mini spa area.  Move your bed down to the master bedroom and move that one to the 2nd master and with the one in there you don't need to change the mattress, as clearly nothing happened in there but sleep; how Mel survived I don't know.  So maybe give it to Carl and Debs for the spare room in their house...and have a quiet house warming and if you can't be quiet invite the neighbours."

 

Hunter was just staring at us.

 

                "You mean it, it's ours?"

 

                "Yep.  And don't even think of returning the keys to here.  This is still your home too.  Though I suspect Brian and Justin might want the loft keys back."  I chuckle at his stunned expression.

 

                "Okay, uh Matt we need to leave right now."  Hunter is pulling on his hand.  "Come on."

 

                "Jeez what's the rush?"

 

                "We have a kitchen to christen!"  He pulls him out the front door.

 

As the door slams shut, I grin at Faal.

 

                "We are never eating there again."

 

                "God no!"  He snorts.

 

BRITIN

 

MAIN BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

All I can hear is muffled keening as I work my tongue deeper and deeper in Brian's ass, I love the feel of the heat on my tongue and the slickness of his walls...and his taste oh how he tastes.  The keening is joined by thumping as he repeatedly punches the bed when I slither my tongue out and start to suckle his balls.

 

                "C-Ch-Christ!" 

 

He yelps as I pull his cheeks apart and lick and nibble at his pucker relentlessly

 

                "You've been a very good bad boy."  I whisper kissing a trail up his back.

 

Slowly his head comes out of the pillow in which it is buried and he turns to look over his shoulder.

 

                "I-I have?"

 

                "Uh-huh."

 

                "Oh God!" 

 

He cries out as I slide three fingers in at once and find and massage his prostate, I just keep pressing on it, firmly until his head is thrashing from side to side and he's begging me.

 

                "No.   Justin.  Stop.  Don't.  I...oh-oh-oh!"

 

I feel the wetness spilling out of him saturating the sheets.

 

                "Turn over."  I whisper licking his ear.

 

Slowly he turns onto his back, his cock bright red and still hard, it's the first time I've ever milked him and it's so fucking hot, he looks dazed and sexy as hell.  I straddle his hips and reach behind me to pull out the plug and then lower myself down slowly at first before slamming down.

 

                "Oh-oh-oh fuck!"  He yells arching upwards and gripping my hips

 

                "Yes and we are going, oh God, to do that all night!"  I gasp and begin to move.

 

CHASE, DONALDSON AND HARPER - MONDAY MORNING

 

MEL'S OFFICE

 

MEL

 

                "Debs, how's she doing?  Sleep is good, it's awake when there's a problem.  She's not the greatest of patients, even when she had chicken pox, it wasn't the itching it was not being able to get out of bed and do things that annoyed her.  Look tell her I called and we'll hopefully be home tomorrow as long as her temp comes down.  Thanks Debs."

 

I smile and still wonder at how I'm at this point in my life with all these people in my corner when I was the devil incarnate when we moved to Canada, speaking of which, I poke my head out the door.

 

                "Ellen, may I have a word please?"

 

She comes in slowly and takes a seat.

 

                "I want to thank you for what you did on Friday..."

 

                "You're more than welcome, I hope everything's okay now.  It is?  Oh good.  Now if that's all I have a couple of meetings I need to set up for..."

 

                "Zee said that Melvin showed her the video of Grace and Lindsay..."

 

                "Video?" 

 

                "Thank you for not saying anything about that too."

 

She blushes and then sags in relief.

 

                "How did you know it was me?  I made sure that my voice wasn't on it or anything."

 

                "Harry told me."

 

                "Oh."

 

I can see she's dying to ask.

 

                "We're done."  I tell her.

 

                "Oh sorry of course..."

 

                "No I mean Lindsay and I we're done and I couldn't be happier, it was a shock and it was painful to watch and realise everything she's done but I can truly say I've never been happier.  Now, along with those meetings you need to set up you also need to set up a lunch for us.  Okay?"

 

She grins and nods and as the door closes I watch her do a fist bump and chuckle.

 

SHADYSIDE - TUESDAY EVENING

 

LINDZ

 

Finally!  I feel like I have been scrubbed raw but it is finally off, well not completely but it's not as bad as it was.  Unfortunately, with my colouring it was much more noticeable on me than it was on Michael and we had to go to a hygienist to get our teeth sorted out but we are now able to face the world.  And the first world we are going to face is the Brownstone.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

When we get there the lights are on in the kitchen and the bedroom floors so they are definitely in, I lean on the doorbell and it is finally answered by someone who I do not recognise and the door is on the chain.

 

                "Who are you and what are you doing in my home?"  I demand imperiously.

 

                "Your home?  Oh my mistake.  Let me take the chain off so you can use your key."  Comes the reply.

 

And the door is shut in my face, it takes a few minutes for me to realise that it is not being opened again.  I start to lean again.

 

                "You couldn't find the key?"  She blinks calmly at me from behind the chained door.

 

                "I want to see Mel..."

 

                "Not here."  She drawls.

 

                "Well I want to see Gus and Jenny, I'm their mother."

 

                "Uh huh.  Not here either.  Jenny got sick over the weekend, which as her mother you would know about, she's with her grandparents"

 

                "Look you, whoever you are, we have more right to be here than you do so let us pass!"  Michael yells

 

                "Nope.  Since you have no key there's no pass for your ass." 

 

                "Matt or Hunter can vouch for us, are they here?"  I try to remain calm.

 

                "Matt, Hunter!  There are a couple of Oompa Loompas out here!"  Whoever the fuck bellows.

 

Two minutes later both Matt and Hunter are at the door and the chain is taken off.

 

                "What do you want?"  Matt asks.

 

                "To come in and see our children."  I grit out.

 

                "Still not here for the second time.  Mel is out till late, Jenny and Gus are with their grandparents, for the 3rd time, and we have a study group as you can clearly tell."  Matt smirks.

 

                "Studying?"  Michael snarks

 

                "Oh you wouldn't know what that is since Brian carried you through school and you never went to college..."  Matt remarks looking at his nails.  "Now if you two oh so caring parents want to see your children I suggest you go, for the 4th time to their grandparents' house to see them.  Now we have to go study, so toodles."

 

We head down the path and the door opens again.

 

                "Hey come back a second.  I can't let you leave like that.  No Matt I can't."  Hunter argues

 

                "Hunter.  I knew we could rely on you to be reasonable."  I smile at him and head swiftly back up.

 

                "I'm not always reasonable Lindsay as you have often pointed out.  But even I have to say that the green of that shirt clashes horribly with the orange in your face."

 

The porch erupts with laughter as the door closes.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MATT

 

I give Hunter a big fat kiss for that and go to call mom.

 

                "Hey it's me."

 

                "Wait let me get your dad.  Faal!"

 

I wince and put them on speaker.

 

                "Hey what's up, how you finding it?  All to yourself."  Dad asks.

 

                "Not totally by ourselves, we've got the gang over we're studying for our tests this week.  But reason for the call, they've just been round..."

 

                "Oh what did you say to them?  Is it good for you?"

 

                "What are you doing?!"  I cringe.

 

                "Recipe testing.  So what did you say?"

 

                "Nothing, well not as first as Nichelle opened the door to them, well with the chain on..."

 

                "And she opened a can of ‘bitch please'?"  Mom giggles

 

                "Indeed.  She called them Oompa Loompas and said as there's no key then there's no pass for their ass but the best was Hunter..."

 

                "How so?"  Dad asks.  "Oh that's fucking incredible and as much as it pains me, you can have it, as long as we get it once a month."

 

                "Deal.  Sorry Matt, what did Hunter do?"

 

I snicker at the gentle bickering of my parents and go onto tell them about my other hero.

 

DEBS & CARL'S

 

LOUNGE

 

JENNY

 

I still feel like crap.  My temperature has dropped a bit, but not enough for me to go back to school tomorrow.  I couldn't stay at home as Aunt Leda had to go out of town.  Gus is with Nana Jen and mom is going to go there from her dinner so it's me, Butch and Sundance on the sofa when the door knocks.

 

                "I'll get it Red."

 

Grandpa goes to the door and sighs heavily, which means only one thing.

 

                "Yes?"

 

                "We want to see Jenny and Gus." 

 

                "Who is it Carl...oh it's you two.  Let them in hone."

 

They come in and immediately start to come towards me.

 

                "Steaming cold still contagious."  I stop them and then look up properly.  "Why are you slightly orange?

 

                "Never mind that, what happened sweetheart?"  She simpers

 

                "Steaming cold, had a stressful week for some reason."  I gripe.

 

                "Oh you poor honeybun, ma have you made her some chicken soup or something?"

 

                "You really want me to dignify that with an answer?"  Grandma growls.  "After the amount of times I wiped your nose and mopped your brow?"

 

                "Where's Gus and why are you here instead of at home?"  She asks.

 

                "Duh the same reason I'm not at papa's...I have a bad cold and I can't be around them obviously."

 

                "Oh of course, so where's Gus.  Gus!"  She calls out.

 

                "He's not here.  And could you stop shouting, I have a headache."  I grouch

 

                "Oh my sweet baby, when was the last time you took some pills?"

 

I can feel the rage radiating off of grandpa but we've got to keep up appearances.

 

                "About five minutes ago, just waiting for them to kick in, look I want to get some rest so if you don't mind."

 

Grandpa goes to the door and clears his throat. 

 

                "We'll call back round tomorrow.  Sleep well honeybun."

 

                "Sleep well sweetheart."

 

I can feel it taking everything for grandpa not to toss them out on their asses.

 

MICHAEL

 

                "I bet you I know where Gus is?  Taxi!"

 

                "Oh you don't think, surely not?" 

 

                "That's exactly what I think.  First we're getting my car and then let's see them explain this to us!"

 

It takes another 35 minutes to get there and by the time we do it's quite late but the lights are on.  I lean on the doorbell.

 

                "Stop leaning on the fucking doorbell Michael!"  Brian's voice barks out in the darkness.

 

We look round in surprise.

 

                "How did you know it was me?" 

 

                "Recognised the car and the lean."  He calls back.

 

                "Brian!  I want to see Gus!"  Lindsay calls out

 

                "He's not here." 

 

                "Well where is he?"  She demands.

 

                "With his grandparents.  Stop that you twat!"

 

                "Where are you Brian I can't see you!"

 

                "You can hear me and that's all you're getting.  Now go away."

 

                "He's not with his grandparents we've just been there so..."

 

                "He's got two lots of grandparents...or didn't that occur to you?"  Justin calls out.  "Now excuse us, I have a man to make slow deep love to."

 

We hear a window shut and out of the gloom comes Vince.

 

                "Need help leaving?"  He asks.

 

JENNIFER & TUCKER'S CONDO - LATE EVENING

 

TUCKER

 

Mel may look tired but she definitely looks happy, she's been regaling us with her dinner tales and how bored she was and how Zee and Emmy Lou have spoiled her for life as the food was just not up to spec when the door goes.

 

                "You expecting anyone?"  I ask them.

 

I head to the door and switch on the light and groan.

 

                "What's wrong who is it?"  Jennifer asks as Mel comes up behind her having sent Gus back to bed.

 

                "Who'd you think?"  I groan

 

Mel sighs angrily.

 

                "Excuse me let me deal with this."

 

She pulls open the door and glowers at them

 

MEL

 

                "Do you know what time it is?"

 

                "I want to see Gus."  Lindsay demands stepping up but I step onto the porch instead.

 

                "Well he's asleep right now so you're going to have to come back tomorrow in daylight hours!"

 

                "Why didn't you tell me, I mean us, Jenny was sick?"  Michael demands

 

                "Why didn't you call to see how your daughter was?"

 

                "I didn't know she was sick!"

 

                "I meant in general why didn't you call in general?"

 

The silence is deafening as Orangeade and Dummy Smurf try to come up with a plausible excuse.

 

                "Because you're not answering our calls!"  He bites back

 

                "Her calls, Lindz is the only one that has called over and over and over again."

 

                "Did something happen on Friday that distracted you?"  Lindz's tone is sly.

 

                "I got served a ton of papers for court later this week but I haven't read them yet, what with Jenny being sick.  They're still at the office, I'll look at them tomorrow why?"

 

                "Oh nothing, can you let Gus know I was here, we've seen Jenny.  I'm not happy with her sleeping with those dogs but we can discuss that further when we get home.  Did you know about the study group that Matt and Hunter are having at the Brownstone."

 

                "Yeah they have tests this week.  Why did you go there?"

 

                "To see Jenny!"  Michael is starting to sound shrill.

 

                "So what stopped you from coming over at the weekend were you decorating?"

 

I hear a snort from behind me but maintain my neutral expression.

 

"Decorating why would we be decorating?"  Lindz demands

 

"The blue and orange on your hands and in your hair.  I hope you got your landlord's permission before doing that.  Look I have an early court session tomorrow morning.  Good night."

 

"Wait Mel.  I want to see Gus can we arrange something?"

 

"Why not call him and find out?"  I reply and step back inside.

 

Tucker watches them go back to the car and then they both envelope me in a hug.

 

                "Well held and well handled."  Jennifer whispers.  "Now go get some sleep."

 

BRITIN - LATE TUESDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

VINCE

 

I'm feeling a little bummed as Daph couldn't come this weekend in the end but she's coming this weekend so that should be fun to watch. 

 

It took everything not to laugh at loud at them last night.  Carl clearly is a little bit behind in the anti-theft powder times, the new stuff seeps in and can take at least 10 days to finally come out. 

 

                "So what's your little firecracker going to do?"  Alice asks

 

                "Not sure but she's promised I won't have to hide any bodies, which is a shame really."

 

                "Vince that's a wicked thing to say!"

 

She slides some extra bacon on my plate.

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I'm so fucked off that their actions meant that I couldn't surprise Justin like I wanted to.  But he's told me that the best surprise is when Lindz finds out he's her boss and when they both find out about Zee being their landlord but they are going to be buttered up then told about the last one. 

 

                "Brian?  About New York, do you think they think they are still coming?"

 

                "Those two?  Of course they do?"  I sigh.

 

He wiggles until he's on top of me and starts to gently grind his cock against mine. 

 

                "How long do you think it will take for the emancipation papers to be drawn up?"

 

                "Josh said should be done by Friday.  And the preliminary trial hearing for the breach of promise has been pushed to next Wednesday according to Mel.  Oh that feels so good."

 

                "Then, mmm do you, uh, think we could have the family here for lunch on Saturday?"

 

                "Yes we could, right there, manage that.  W-why?"

 

 I grab a handful of his ass and squeeze and he starts to stroke my balls.

 

                "Because Daph will be here then and she can do her thing."

 

                "C-can we discuss this afterwards?"  I gasp as I reach for the lube.

 

DINER - THURSDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

GUS

 

Finally, J was well enough to return to school on Wednesday and so we decide to kill, unfortunately, not literally, two birds with one stone and meet them at the diner.

 

                "I really don't want to be here."  J grumbles

 

                "You think I do, we do an hour tops and then grandpa comes to get us.  Oh here they come."

 

                "Gus, Jenny it's been so long since we've seen you!"  She exclaims

 

                "Hi.  How are you both?"  I ask making up for the dead air radiating off of J.

 

                "Fine, Jenny you are looking so much better."  He says.

 

J looks up and then breaks into a grin.

 

                "Excuse me!"  

 

JENNY

 

                "Auntie Em!  Auntie Em!  I call out as I dash into the street.

 

                "Hey Miss J.  Now down Miss Scarlett a lady does not jump up.  And we are not in the Wizard of Oz by the way."

 

                "No but I'm in the Twilight Zone with my so-called parents, please come back with me or I shall stab them with my fork!"

 

He grins at me and hands me the leashes and we walk back together, when we get to the diner, the grimace is replaced by a smile from Gus, all is forgiven.

 

                "Why Michael and Lindz how lovely to see you both."  Auntie Ems sits down

 

                "Emmy Lou how have you been?  I take it you've been busy with Melody's party?"  She twitters

 

                "Well that and planning the food for the wedding.  What have you guys been up to?"

 

                "Oh this and that, little things."  He replies.

 

                "Hey Ems, okay one chop a la Scarlett and one chop a la Rhett, what about you two?"  Grandma asks

 

They order coffee and a bacon sandwich and we spend an excruciating 45 minutes talking about bullshit until grandpa arrives.   I could've cried with relief.

 

                "Lyndsay, how lovely to see you!" 

 

The rich brogue of Lydia cuts across the diner and I take great pleasure in watching her freeze for one second.

 

                "Lydia, hi!  How lovely to see you too, what are you doing here?  Are you okay you look a little flushed?"

 

                "I'm fine just fine, was power walking just now.  So how goes the exchange; is it working out for you?"

 

                "Oh yes its working out great, thanks."

 

She slides in besides Auntie Em with a smile.

 

                "So how goes the party planning?"  She asks Auntie Em who gets this smirk on his face.

 

                "Okay kids let's go.  Oh I heard from Brian today, lunch on Saturday for all."  Grandpa smiles

 

                "That's great I look forward to spending quality time with the family.  Now if you excuse me, Michael could you give me a lift back to the gallery?"  She smiles tightly

 

Bending down to kiss us both they are finally gone and Lydia lets out a huge breath and rests her head on the table, after a minute she finally lifts her head and grins.

 

                "Power walking my ass.  I ran all the way here!  Debs I need water and a personal trainer!"

 

                "I'll get Steve to give you a call."  Grandma laughs

 

J and I exchange looks, we're not sure what has happened but I think mom was just handled.

 

SMALLING, STEWART & VINE - FRIDAY MORNING

 

JOSHUA

 

I'm drumming my fingers look anxiously at the door and then at the phone waiting for news, finally there is a light tap and Richard pokes his head round.

 

                "Got a minute?"

 

                "Oh yeah, just waiting for a call back from Ivan."

 

                "What do you need to hear from Ivan for, he's in court until at least three."

 

I sink back into my seat, I knew there was a chance that between cases he wouldn't be able to call me.

 

                "Fuck.  Oh never mind, what can I do for you?"

 

                "Oh nothing much, just wanted to know if you wanted a second opinion on the emancipation papers for Gus Marcus Peterson and Jenny Rebecca Marcus Peterson, as well as the petition for the dissolution of the partnership of Melanie Marcus and Lindsay Peterson and the defamation of character suit for Daphne Chanders?"

 

                "You bastard when did you get them!"  I snatch the papers out of his hands

 

                "Bumped into Ivan just before he went into his hearing.  So the deception case is that now dropped?"

 

I nod and reach for the phone.

 

                "No Josh let's double check them first okay?" 

 

                "Of course, sorry but they are pieces of work these two!"

 

                "I've heard now let's start with the emancipation..."

 

BLOOM

 

LYDIA'S OFFICE

 

LYDIA

 

I can feel Justin vibrating with pleasure and I can't help but smile, but like Brian hate Lyndsay for her behaviour forcing his hand.

 

                "So what would you like to change in here?"  I ask him.

 

He looks at Brian who just smiles that loving smile he does he thinks nobody knows about.

 

                "The lighting.  I've always thought it was a bit too dark in here in places.  Want to make it a bit more like Uptown's lighting but not as full on do you understand what I mean?"

 

I heave sigh of relief and nod.

 

                "Absolutely, I was hoping you would say that.  I have some twinning ideas and I have had some interesting suggestions from the Arch and the Matten Galleries?" 

 

                "Let me guess the Kirkidan Series, they want one each?"

 

                "Indeed.  I wasn't sure about that, I think they should stay here, it's not our fault our boy found them."

 

                "I agree but we don't want bad feeling, how about we ask Lucian for the Fire Season Series by Cast and suggest them instead, if we can get them, not sure he would be amenable to that though..."

 

He starts to nibble on his thumbnail and frowns, Brian and I chuckle.

 

                "What?"

 

                "You don't need to ask Luc remember, you need to ask a heathen, also known as one of your ushers."

 

Realisation dawns and he grins widely and grabs his phone.

 

                "Ooh great, we'll be there in 10 minutes!  She said yes and to take your pick of anything else!"

 

                "That's great but why are we going there in 10 minutes?"  Brian asks.

 

                "Tastings of course, she's got a salad but she said just to concentrate on the taste as it doesn't look very appealing..."

 

                "Oh speaking of unappealing did Hunter tell you?"  I ask.

 

                "Tell us what?"

 

                "Robert Craswell has been sniffing around for an interview..."

 

                "Craswell as in the art critic?"  Brian rasps.  "I thought we banned him from the shows?"

 

                "We did, I went over the list with Cara his name wasn't on there."  Justin replies testily.

 

                "So how the hell is he wanting to talk to Hunter?"

 

                "Well if you'd let me finish.  Said he got a heads up a source of the Reichmann family, but I checked with Melody and she's said she's not spoken to him and nor would her..."

 

                "Lindsay, she just can't fucking help herself!"  Justin snaps.

 

                "Wait, back up; explain what Lindsay has to do with this?"

 

VINCE'S APARTMENT

 

DAPH

 

Michael and Lindsay had better watch out, I'm coming and hell's coming with me!

 

                "Babe, can you please calm down, I don't want them in our bed tonight."

 

                "What ew!  Vince just what?"

 

                "You're mad at them and you're stewing, so..."

 

I take a cleansing breath and grin at my man, who has just taken off his shirt...and take another breath, I can be mad tomorrow!

 

BRITIN - SATURDAY MID-MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

After our chat with Lydia she told us to leave Craswell with her, which I was more than happy to do.  And we've added her as our wedding guest.

 

Alice and Daphne are in the kitchen with George and Vince standing guard over the lunch so they don't serve up special plates.  Lilah is yowling and Milo is chirruping so I guess that means one set of furballs has arrived.

 

                "I'll get it." 

 

I swing the door open to Emmy Lou and Drew, well I'm going to assume it's one of them as the cushion is obscuring their face but Miss Scarlett and Rhett are practically helicoptering on seeing their new buddies.

 

                "Take the cushion, take the cushion!"  Comes the muffled demand.

 

                "Emmy Lou, hey.  Alice where am I setting the furballs up?"

 

                "Lounge!  They're already set in the dining room!"  She calls back.

 

Drew and I exchange wry smiles and head to the lounge. 

 

                "Are we bubbling now or when everyone is here?"  Emmy Lou calls out on his way to the kitchen

 

I look out the window and note the cars coming up the drive.

 

                "You might as well open now, here come the wagons!"

 

We arranged it so that we had at least an hour or so before they arrived.  Joshua will come here to serve the papers and go straight away, he's excited about something else but says he can't tell us yet.

 

Zee is standing by the window.

 

                "Show time."  She calls out.

 

DAPH

 

                "I'll get it!"  I call out.

 

I wait until the doorbell rings before plastering a smile on my face and enjoy watching their faces fall once they see me.

 

                "Michael, Lindsay how nice to see you, come in, come in.  Bitch!  I mean Butch heel!"

 

Butch slinks back indoors I ruffle his ears and all is right with his world.

 

She sweeps into the lounge after failing to get Alice to take her coat as she passed her on the way to the lounge.

 

                "Hi everyone!  Um Alice could you be a dear a take our coats please, I need to visit the powder room."

 

                "The cloak room is next to the powder room so you can take them on your way, I have dinner to check on."  She replies tartly.

 

She snatches his coat from his hands and stalks to the powder room, I make a concerted effort not to look at Justin or Emmy Lou.

 

                "So how's everyone been isn't it lovely to catch up as a family after the last few days of unpleasantness."

 

Unpleasantness seems to be her favourite word to describe her cuntish behaviour!

 

                "Yeah it's nice for everything to go back to normal."  Michael nods like the fool he is, I swear I could hear the bells of his internal jester hat tinkling.   "And you honeybun are looking so much better."

 

I watch Mel's fingers tighten on her glass.

 

                "Mel more wine?"  Jennifer calls out, which seems to bring her round.

 

Justin is sitting in Brian's lap sharing a beam with him.

 

                "Okay before lunch, let's talk about New York, as in the pampering weekend."  He starts.

 

                "Oh yes, Brian I need to talk to you two about the money for that."  Michael begins.

 

                "Excuse me Michael I wasn't finished.  Since we had booked the treats we've had a change of plan, by which I mean, Lucian and Dee have decided to keep the wine theme going..."

 

                "What does it have to do with them, it's not their pampering weekend?"  Lindsay huffs.

 

                "True but this is their wedding present to us.  And we've extended it to you guys.  They've booked us and by dint of that we've booked all of you into the Oaks Bluff Inn in Martha's Vineyard.  So we leave on Sunday morning and depart Monday afternoon."

 

Everyone gasps and immediately Jenny and Gus have the laptop open and are showing pictures.

 

                "You are kidding me.  Brian, this is just..."  Jennifer is tearing up.

 

                "Stop it, it's done.  Now Michael what did you want to say?"  Brian asks.

 

                "Yes, it's about the treat money, I sent you.  I want it back."

 

                "Why?"

 

                "Because I need it to pay for our trip to New York of course, unless you buy the tickets for us."

 

                "No and no."

 

                "What do you mean no and no?"  Lindsay narrows her eyes at him.

 

                "Well, Michael you sent me that money to and I quote put to good use correct?"

 

                "Yes but I meant."

 

                "So I used it to pay down some of your debt to us..."

 

                "What!"  Michael and Lindsay say together.

 

Strike one!

 

                "You can't do that!"  Michael snaps.  "Mel tell him he can't do that and I think the kids need to go watch TV!"

 

                "He can do that, has done that and they're not actually listening to you."  Mel replies.  "And besides this is a better use of your money, you don't want to be longer in debt do you?"

 

He opens and closes his mouth before slumping back in his seat.

 

                "I suppose, but we are still coming to New York even if we can't do Martha's Vineyard."  He huffs.

 

                "Fine, but at least you won't have to find so much money this time."  Justin smiles.  "Only about $6K each this time."

 

                "That's fine, Michael don't worry it will be fine."  Lindsay smiles at him.  "This is going to be so exciting."

 

Once again, Mel tenses up, this time it's Leda who does the wine offer.

 

                "Oh yes please.  Oh Lindsay I got a letter from Philip Mitcham, isn't he your parents' lawyer?"

 

                "Yes, yes he is but I'm not sure why he would be writing to you, I can check with them if you like?"

 

                "Oh could you, I only just found it, had to cover a custody case and haven't got round to opening it yet, actually I bought it with me." 

 

She gets up and goes to the hallway to collect it and I watch Lindsay go paler and paler.

 

                "Excuse me a moment." 

 

She and Mel pass each other in the doorway and I give my girl a discreet wink.  Five minutes later, Lindsay comes back in smiling.

 

                "I've just spoken to daddy, do you remember the papers I had to sign for a couple of weeks back well it's just copies of them, seems there was an administration error so you don't need to worry about them, he's asked me to take them back for him."

 

As she reaches for the envelope Alice comes back in to call us for lunch.  We assume our usual seats and indulge in the spread of roasted lobsters and prawns to start.

 

                "Oh Alice this is gorgeous, was it just you or did the two masters have a hand?"  She asks.

 

                "Oh we all chipped in to make this lunch unforgettable."  Alice smiles back.

 

Again I am not looking at Justin or Emmy Lou.  Mercifully the next course of saffron chicken with carrot and cardamom pilaf arrives and as usual there is a tussle between Brian and Justin.

 

                "So Hunter have you got any shows coming up at Uptown, being on the exchange programme I've been kept out the loop somewhat."

 

                "Nope nothing for now.  As of next week Bloom is closed so all their paintings will be being housed in Uptown for now."

 

                "Closed?"  She sputters.  "Why?"

 

                "Freshening up, to add more light according to Lydia."  He smirks at her.  "Although I did do an interview with a Robert Craswell this week."

 

                "Robert Craswell?  He's one of the pre-eminent art critics of New York, what did you talk about?"

 

                "Wanted to know about the Stark Art and the Kirkidan Series, luckily it was a quick interview and Lydia was there to help."

 

                "Quick interview, I don't understand."

 

                "Yeah how long does it take to say no comment?"

 

She drops her fork in surprise.

 

                "No comment, you said no comment to Robert Craswell, what on earth for?"

 

                "As I said to you during our unpleasant weekend I don't want to go to New York so I'm not interested in speaking to any art critic from there."

 

                "Speaking of unpleasant, what exactly happened that weekend anybody want to share?"  I ask

 

                "Nothing there were a lot of things said that shouldn't have been, which don't concern you." 

 

Michael replies dismissively and smiles smugly at Lindsay.

 

                "Funny I thought you impugning my moral character would be my business."  I snark back.

 

Strike Two is coming you bitches!

 

                "Impugn...what?"

 

                "Oh Lindz, that's what I meant to tell you remember we bumped into Grace who lived in Toronto whilst we were there?  I met up with her on Thursday and she told me the most incredibly romantic thing, she and Celeste got married!  Apparently, after she left her for some under achieving turned out to be a lying slut, Celeste realised the error of her ways and begged and worked for forgiveness and they've been happy ever since.  Isn't that great.  God I remember how distraught she was when Celeste left her, I can't remember where you were at the time though."

 

                "To impugn, Michael means to call into question, so why were you doing that, by implying that my depths were plumbed by Vince the first night we met.  Which we know isn't true because I shared my bed with Mel that night, because poor widdle Lindsay wasn't getting any attention from Faal or Brian so faked a headache."

 

                "Now just a minute!" 

 

                "Ooh you need to hush and hush now!"  I hiss.  "Michael I do not like being called effectively a slut, so here's what is going to happen, with great restraint I am going to give you this.  In front of the family who love you so, it makes no difference if you take it here or not, one has been delivered to your house and the courier will wait for you to come home to sign for it...so take it off me now as believe you me you do not want me to put it in your hands."

 

Scowling at me he takes the envelope and opens it.

 

                "You're fucking suing me! 

 

I nod and stab a piece of chicken viciously and lock gazes with him as I bite down hard and grind it to mush before swallowing and licking my lips with malicious enjoyment.

 

                "Yes for defamation of character and I have witnesses to your words and my lack of action that night, hope you know a good lawyer, they're not cheap, unless you want to settle out of court, oh and Lindsay this is for you."

 

                "What the fuck are you suing me for"?  She shrieks.

 

                "Because you concurred with his statement in the car, your words were "exactly, just like her kind" and nodded, so tell me what kind am I?  I would rather know now than in court."

 

                "I never said that!"

 

                "Are you calling Deidra Stark a liar?"  I ask.  "And besides the car has a camera.  But enough about that let's have pudding.  Oh shall I get that?"

 

Everyone is looking at me in shock, I hadn't told them about the lawsuit for Lindsay so their surprise would look genuine.

 

                "Uh Brian, there's a Joshua Smalling and Richard Stewart to see you, says it's important.  Shall I send them to...?"

 

                "No bring them in here, I'm sure it won't take long it's just some I had drawn up for Gus and Jenny, which I need to sign for."

 

                "For Gus what papers for Gus and why wasn't I informed of this Mel?"  Lindsay demands.

 

                "Yes Mel, what papers for Jenny."  Michael's imperious tone is making my fist itch.

 

Joshua and Richard come in and head straight for Brian and take him to one side.  There's muttering and nodding but we can't hear much.

 

                "Okay guys thanks so much for doing this.  I'll see you in the week."

 

                "Mel!  Why weren't we informed of this?  I'm his mother and we're both Jenny's parents after all."

 

Mel takes that moment to rip open the envelope.

 

                "Lindsay why are you and Michael suing for physical custody of Gus and Jenny, nobody is stopping you from seeing them.  In fact in all the time that you've been visiting the Brownstone you've never yet asked for them.  They've not heard from you in almost a week and Michael you're not paying support at your own request so how are you going to support them in the event of a judge giving you custody?"

 

                "Ah, look that was an angry reaction from the pair of us to not being able to see them, we see that we've made a grave error of judgement and..."

 

                "Here you two this is the paperwork that Gus and Jenny wanted drawn up." 

 

Brian hands them over and then Hunter gets up and hands Michael and envelope.

 

                "What's this?"  He looks at it warily.

 

                "Something you've always wanted if you were honest enough to admit it."

 

We all look at each other.

 

                "Dissolution of foster care order.  What does that mean?"  Michael stammers.

 

Everyone but Zee looks surprised.

 

                "It means that once you sign it, you are no longer legally my father and since I don't want to be the son of a man who deliberately sets out to sabotage me, just sign it and I become legally a Bruckner."

 

                "Sabotage, I don't know what...?"

 

                "You sent that drug addled husk of a woman to the gallery."

 

                "As I said to Ben at the time, I didn't know who she was, it wasn't deliberate and..."

 

                "What about calling me a diseased bastard?  That was deliberate, since you've yet to apologise for it, and a slight to dad too.  And before you try and lie your way out of the gallery visit, check out the photo, nice and clear don't you think?"

 

This time Lindsay looks shocked.

 

                "You called Hunter that?  Michael how could you?" 

 

                "I was angry I didn't mean it..."

 

                "It had better be signed by the time I get back.  I need to get out of here.  Leda, Emmy Lou I'm taking the dogs for a walk."

 

                "Do you want me to come with you?"  Matt calls out

 

                "Please."

 

As he passes Michael, Matt leans down.

 

                "Good fucking riddance."  He tells him. 

 

Lindsay is looking horrified at the papers that Brian has just handed to them.

 

                "You can't be serious Gus, Jenny, you can't be?"

 

                "You've hurt us we want you gone?"  Gus tells her holding Jenn's hand.

 

                "What is it now?"  Michael is beyond shrill.

 

                "Emancipation papers...they want to remove me as their parent.  And I suspect the same goes for you."

 

                "They can't do that!  Ma!  Say something!" 

 

                "They can do that and they have the backing of the family."

 

                "Which one this one or the Stark family?  I know you've put them up to this Zaden and I will bring all my wrath down to bear on your head, you will not get away with this!"  Lindsay snarls at her.

 

Zee doesn't move a muscle, not a twitch, nor does she say a word.

 

                "So was it punishment?"  Mel asks.  "Did you like the thrill of running around behind my back??

 

                "Punishment what punishment?"  Lindsay whirls to face her.

 

                "Your affair with Celeste.  Here are the dissolution of our civil partnership papers to add to that ever growing pile of yours.  Can you pass that to her please Blake?"

 

Her hands are shaking at she takes the papers.

 

        "But, but you're not serious Mel, we can work this out.  Everything can be worked out."

 

        "No, it can't be because you lied to me, to us, for two and a half years.  And all you can say is you're not serious we can work things out, no apology nothing.  Is the affair Zee's fault too?  I mean I know they Stark family have a reach but not going back in time, this was all you and everything presented there is all them and me.  It has nothing to do with Zee, who by the way is so deadly calm that you should worry when she comes for you, and come for you she will."

 

Lindsay risks a look in Zee's direction who just blinks at her.

 

                "Now Michael, this form needs to be signed and witnessed by a lawyer and..."

 

                "I'll get it."  Alice calls out

 

                "So the quicker you do that the quicker we can get you out of his life, you owe him that much don't you..."

 

                "Charles, what are you doing here?"  Brian got up to shake his hand.

 

                "Got your address off of Joshua as I couldn't find Michael at home.  Here you've been served."

 

                "What the fuck now!"  Michael yells.

 

                "I told you in Portland what I would do if you didn't stop slandering David consider it done."

 

                "Oh Christ the gates of hell have really opened up for you guys."  Carl shakes his head.

 

                "And now the doorway of my home is going to open.  You two get out, get out now!"  Justin orders.

 

Slowly they get up and head to the door.

 

                "You will regret not stopping this Brian.  But not as much as Zee will but enough.  You have no idea of the power I have.  Come on Michael, let leave them to enjoy their supposed victory."

 

We follow them out to make sure they don't do anything destructive.

 

                "Nice shoes Lindsay."  Zee calls out.

 

We all look at her in surprise.

 

                "What are you talking about you stupid woman!"  Lindsay screeches

 

                "What?  Shoes, seriously Zee shoes?"  Jennifer speaks for us all.

 

                "What you've got to admire her taste in them, it's such a shame that it's a fuck of a long walk back to the main road let alone Pittsburgh so you can hail a cab.  Because you sure as fuck ain't calling one from here."