Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 41 - WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH...HAVE A THINK NOT A TANTRUM

 

ELLEN

 

                "Did we just hear what we think we just heard?"  I turn to look at Harry who just nods.

 

                "Technology is our friend because when that message is delivered God help the messenger!"

 

Surreptitiously I take out my phone and hope and pray.

 

LINDZ

 

I blink a couple of times.

 

                "I beg your pardon?  I don't know..."

 

                "What I'm talking about.  Well I'm happy to repeat it, you were fucking my then partner and now wife Celeste for two and a half years whilst you were living in Canada playing unhappy families with Mel and the kids...ringing bells now?"

 

                "Wha..."

 

                "241 Rexdale Avenue, a formerly sweet two bedroom little house that Celeste bought for the pair of you to live in once you left Mel but you didn't do that.  You wanted your cake and eat it too.  Don't worry your pretty little head Lindsay Peterson, I'm not going to tell Mel about your little liaison..."

 

                "You're not then what do you want?"  I stammer

 

                "Nothing, it was a pure fluke to bump into Mel just now.  And like I said, I won't do anything, as I have Celeste, our life in Paris and whilst it hurt me when she was with you she fought for me to forgive her...can you say the same for Mel?"  She replies coolly.

 

                "I have the house still!" I point out.

 

                "So?  It's in negative equity and you've let it run to seed;  so I suppose you continue to rent it out and just about get enough to pay the mortgage every month?"

 

I stare at her in shock my mouth opening and closing but no sound coming out.

 

                "Now excuse me I have to go.  And I mean this with all sincerity it was an absolute pleasure to lay your ghost to rest, not that it was much of one.  And she's right about one thing...you really do have a flat ass!"

 

With that she swiftly hails a cab and is gone.  I stand there for a few moments and decide that whether she likes it or not Mel is going to talk to me, I hail a cab back to Shadyside.

 

ELLEN

 

                "What the fuck do I do with this?"  I whisper to him.

 

                "Send it to me.  I know just the person to handle this."

 

SHADYSIDE - FRIDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDZ

 

For the next couple of days I am relentless in my pursuit of speaking to Mel, I turn up at the Brownstone and knock on the door for ages, I turn up at her place of work but still she refuses to see me or return my calls.

 

                "Michael has there been any attempts by Mel or Ben to put you in touch with Jenny?"

 

                "No nothing.  Uh Lindz shouldn't you be getting ready for work?" 

 

                "How can I work when my marriage is falling apart?  They understand of course and have given me personal days for this week and some of next.  We've got to force them to speak to us and I know just the way to do it."

 

I snatch up my phone.

 

                "Philip its Lindsay Peterson, I need you to draw up a couple of documents for me."

 

CHASE DONALDSON & DRAPER

 

HARRY'S OFFICE

 

HARRY

 

I look across at a perplexed looking Melvin Donaldson.

 

                "What exactly am I looking at?"

 

                "That is Lindsay Peterson and she's the on/bit currently off partner of Melanie Marcus who has been making her presence felt for the last few days."

 

                "Ah I thought she looked familiar.  So what's this of and why am I speaking to one of my prestigious clients about it?"

 

                "I can't speak to Mel about it because of the ongoing negotiations we have and she's her friend, so I thought if the video came from you and then from..."

 

                "Ah I see, I see.  How are those negotiations going?" 

 

                "We're at final stage and that's another thing I want to talk to you about..."

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

                "Thanks for the understanding Felicity, I appreciate it."

 

I hang up and start to bang my head on the table.

 

                "Cazzo figa!" 

 

                "Oh bringing out Italian now, things must be bad."  Faal drawls

 

                "Neighbours are complaining, in less than two days I've had nine calls and Melvin Donaldson wants to see me."

 

                "What about?"

 

                "Seems that Lindsay has been visiting the office demanding to see Mel and waiting all day until she does or doesn't as the case is."

 

                "Fuck!"

 

CHASE DONALDSON AND HARPER - LATE AFTERNOON

 

MEL'S OFFICE

 

ELLEN

 

                "May I help you?"

 

                "Yes I need this delivered to Melanie Marcus.  I need a signature."

 

                "Uh Mel there's a courier out here wants a signature, can I sign for..."

 

                "It needs to be her."

 

                "I'll be right out."

 

Mel comes out looking tired and drawn, she signs for the document and he leaves, when she opens it she just bursts into tears.

 

                "I knew she had been too fucking quiet today!"

 

I rush round the desk and pull her sobbing into my arms.

 

TREEHOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

ZEE

 

Okay that has got to beat all...can this get any worse today.

 

                "Hey Mel how...oh sweetheart, right come here, pack a bag, I'll send a car just pack.  I'll let Brian know."

 

Quickly I call Brian and he says we need to tell the family.

 

                "Cazzo figa!  Lo strappare la milza!"  I scream.

 

I take a breath and open a bottle of Meerlust Merlot and fuck letting it breath pour a big glass and it is gone in three swallows.  Faal nods when I wave a glass at him, coming behind me I lean back into his chest.

 

                "Bad meeting?  I could hear you outside the front door.  Who's the fucking cunt whose spleen you want to rip out?"

 

                "Hold that thought.  Papa Bear, yeah can you make the call that everyone including Leda, but obvs not Captain Asshat and Stuck up Heifer, has to be here tomorrow early.  And let Queen know I'm sending a car for her and Jennifer they need to be here tonight."

 

I hang up and sigh.

 

                "Mel and the kids are coming here tonight too.  But before they do we need to christen this kitchen."

 

SHADYSIDE - EARLY EVENING

 

LINDZ

 

                "So have you heard from Mel?"  Michael asks excitedly.

 

                "No and that's the surprising thing, I thought I would have.  I think another visit to the Brownstone is called for.  Come on."

 

THE LOFT

 

MATT

 

                "That was mom, she said to get home early tomorrow morning."

 

                "Thought we were at Britin this weekend?"  He replies pouring out the wine and dishing up dinner. 

 

When I don't reply he comes to stand in front of me and makes me look at him.

 

                "So what's with the face?"

 

                "It was her voice.  Some shit is going to happen this weekend."

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                "Mel, open this door!  We're not leaving until you open this door!"  I shout.

 

                "Excuse me, she's not there or can't you see the place is in darkness?"

 

                "Why don't you mind your own business?"  Michael snaps at the neighbour.

 

                "Because you and you idiot friend here yelling is making it the whole damn street's business, nobody has been in since about six, now fuck off before I call the police on you!"

 

                "Come on Michael let's go."

 

I pull him down the street.

 

                "But Lindz where are we going?"

 

                "Round the back of course." 

 

It doesn't take us long to get round to the back of the Brownstone and luckily the gate is unlocked.  And as I thought the lights are on.

 

                "See.  They were just waiting for us to leave."

 

We start to stride up to the back door and are suddenly drenched in water as the sprinkler system comes on.

 

                "What the fuck!  Mel switch it off!  Switch it off!"  I shout.

 

The system is switched off and the garden bathed in light.

 

                "Wow, I was wrong you're not idiots you are morons!"  The neighbour yells at us.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MAIN BEDROOM

 

FAAL

 

                "Zaden, what is it, please just tell me.  You look so sad.  Are you sick?"

 

She shakes her head.

 

                "I'm fit and healthy and slightly regretting the height of the counter top but..."

 

The doorbell ringing had her trotting downstairs.

 

                "Aunt Zee!"  Jenny cries dashing in followed by Gus.  "Hey Uncle Faal, what's going on?"

 

                "I don't know Jenny.  I don't know.  Jesus Mel you look exhausted, shall I just give you the bottle or will you go glass by glass?"

 

                "You guys go and use the bathroom, please, uh we've not eaten so do you think we could do a takeaway?"  She asks Zee

 

Before Zee could say anything, the other car drew up and Debs, Jennifer and Carl get out.

 

LOUNGE

 

DEBS

 

                "Okay what is it, what needs everyone here tomorrow?"

 

I hadn't really looked at Zee when I got here we were focused on Mel and the kids but she looks a combination of sad and furious.

 

                "Mel, I have something to show you.  But I need Faal to tell you, because...so Faal take my phone it's already set to go, use the office and the big screen, Jen, Debs go with them.  Carl can you stay here?"

 

Carl nods and we go to the office.

 

OFFICE

 

FAAL

 

                "Don't ask me I don't know either.  Right here we go."

 

The image comes onscreen.

 

                "That's Grace and Lindsay I don't understand..."  Mel starts tiredly rubbing her temple.

 

                "And why the hell can't we hear what they are saying?"  Debs demands.

 

And then I realise.

 

                "Oh my lig, my darling girl.  She couldn't do it Mel, she just couldn't.  Right...let's start...this uh Grace is saying: I'm happy to repeat it, you were fucking my then partner and now wife Celeste for two and a half years whilst you were living in Canada..."

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

                "Want to tell me what's going on?"

 

Zee is currently curled up in my side, she reminds me so much of Brian when he found out about the food list, it's the end for her, whatever it is it's the end.

 

                "You'll know soon enough.  Tako, Nakama or Kaya?"

 

                "Let's wait till...hang on.  Horvath.  Oh hi Greg, yeah, yeah I know them why?  What they've been arrested for what?  Uh Greg can I call you back!  Jen, Red what the hell is going on!"

 

I had to hang up quickly as a furious looking Red was making her way towards the front door followed by an equally murderous looking Jennifer.

 

                "I'm going to kill her.  I'm going to pick her afuckingpart limb from limb!"

 

                "By the time I have finished spreading the news as well as she spread her legs nobody will touch that loose twatted flippertigibbet!"   Jennifer snarls.

 

I manage to pull them both back into the lounge and find Faal pouring brandies.

 

                "Zee, Mel wants to talk to you.  Take this with you.  I love you."

 

                "I love you too."

 

OFFICE

 

MEL

 

Zee hands me a brandy and we both just stare incredulously at each other.

 

                "I couldn't Mel.  I just couldn't be the one to tell you.  Not only because I've adore the bones of you but irritatingly Faal is better at lip reading than I am."

 

I sniffle and nod.

 

                "Oh that must be galling?" 

 

                "Not as galling as me beating him on the gun competency test by 5%."

 

She takes my hand and gives me a squeeze.

 

                "Where'd you get this anyway?" 

 

                "Melvin Donaldson got it from a very good source, sadly it's the real deal and..."

 

                "What is?"  Gus asks. 

 

                "Mom what's going on?  Please tell us."  Jenny begs.

 

                "I'll leave you to it, this definitely calls for Nakama and definitely their lobsters."

 

                "Definitely, thanks Zee.  I mean it thank you."

 

LOUNGE

 

JENNY

 

                "So that's it, you're done?"

 

                "I'm done there's no way back from that."  Mel growls.

 

                "Good.  Now as far as anyone else is concerned I was here the entire time and..."

 

                "They're in jail."  Grandpa stays spearing a dumpling

 

The room goes quiet.

 

                "What on earth for?"  Faal asks

 

                "Trespassing."

 

                "Tress...Carl Horvath spill!"  Grandma demands.

 

                "Well it seems that they went to the Brownstone to confront Mel once more and the neighbour told them in no uncertain terms to go away.  And instead of doing that, they went round the back but ended up in the neighbour's garden, which has a motion sensor sprinkler system with added anti-theft powder..."

 

Suddenly Aunt Zee snorts into her glass then swallows hard

 

                "Wh-what colour?"  She gasps.

 

                "Orange and blue."  He starts to chuckle.

 

Then Uncle Faal starts to smile.

 

                "Okay spill in terms we can understand!"  Nana Jen snaps.

 

                "A-anti theft dye generally comes in four colours, orange, blue, green and purple.  And, ahem, according to Greg they were drenched from head to toe in the stuff and it takes at least 3 days of brutal scrubbing to get it off..."  Grandpa now has tears running down his cheeks.

 

                "So they're currently orange and blue and are sitting in a police holding cell?"  Gus asks

 

Grandpa can only nod as he's laughing, which starts the rest of us off.

 

                "Who's the night attorney?"  Mom asks grinning widely once she recovers

 

                "Lois Chen...oh Mel you wouldn't?" 

 

                "Oh yes I fucking would!"

 

TREEHOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

EMMY LOU

 

                "Okay who do I need to kill?"

 

                "Wait for everyone to get here and be online before then."  Faal answers handing me coffee.

 

I nod and head to the lounge and set up the facilities for the furball family, Butch and Sundance don't mind being used as secondary cushions...after an hour everyone is here including Joshua...okay that's odd.

 

LOUNGE

 

Carl, Zee, Faal, Brian, Mel and Justin are standing in front of us in the upper lounge and they switch on the screen and we just stare.

 

                "Why are Lindsay and Michael blue and orange?"  Tucker asks.

 

                "We'll get back to that.  Now they need you to listen, no interruptions, nothing just listen."  Carl orders.  "And that includes you Red, you don't know all so just listen.  Daph can you hear us?"

 

                "Yes perfectly, so what have the dumbfucks done?"  She asks.

 

For the next hour they tell us what has been happening about Emily, Michael's hand in getting Hunter's mother to the gallery, the house in Canada, Lindz's affair, her keeping the fact that Justin was paying support a secret everything and to say we are shocked, furious and murderous is an understatement...there's a pause and Carl nods at Zee to continue.

 

                "Recent events, have forced things to move a little quicker than I would like but it the situation at the Brownstone has become intolerable for everyone including our neighbours, I've had 9 calls in less than 48 hours, so it's with great heartache that Mel and the kids have to move..."

 

                "What no!"  Jennifer demands.

 

                "Zee come on!"  Blake yells.  "We can do something other than they leave their home.  They love it there!"

 

                "We can love it somewhere else just as much."  Mel sighs.

 

                "But Aunt Zee you promised!  You promised that we could stay!"  Jenny wails tears streaming.

 

                "I know I did sweetheart I know I did but Matt was..."

 

                "NO YOU PROMISED!" 

 

                "Jenny.  Stop.  Listen.  Look.  Think."  Matt is grinning

 

Jenny whirls round.

 

                "Matt you're going to be just fine!  The Brownstone is yours.  It always was going to be yours but it..."

 

                "Yes Jenny it was always going to be his but in May.  I'm just giving it to him earlier, we talk about that after Mr Reno..."

 

                "Jesus Zee..."  Daphne hiccups

 

                "Are you guys crazy?!"  Gus cries running to Faal and hugging him tightly.

 

Jenny is looking confused.

                "Of all the times for the Marcus brain to fritz out."  Mel smiles.

 

                "Jenny don't you think there is somewhere I would squirrel you away so that I wouldn't lose my new niece and nephew..."

 

Ben is now in front of her.

 

                "Does your mom or Aunt Leda look upset to you...?"

 

She looks at them both then back at Ben.  And then she blinks, then she looks at Zee.

 

                "Think we have a reboot?"  Brian smiles.

 

                "You, you said squirrel.  You mean, you mean that we..."

 

                "Think you can live with a petrolhead and two crazy malamutes until I find a place?"  Leda asks.

 

Slowly she approaches Zee sobbing her heart out and mumbling apologies.

 

                "Shush little one.  Now that we're relatively on the same page there's more.  Mel."

 

                "Gus, do you remember the letter that I prepared for you about getting your dad's parental rights back?"

 

                "Yes.  Mom said she..."

 

He turns to look at Brian.

 

                "Please tell me she told you?" 

 

Brian shakes his head and Mel explains to us what the letter is about and what she is willing to do for it to happen.

 

                "ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT!"  Gus roars.  "YOU'RE NOT STOPPING BEING MY MOM!"

 

                "I won't stop being your mom where it matters most."  Mel tries to reassure him.

 

                "I SAID NO!"  Gus yells.

 

The room goes quiet as Gus paces about.

 

                "Did she ever love me or want me?"

 

                "Yes absolutely, her reasoning was off but she loves you deeply in fact..."

 

                "But she lied to dad, she did that to Emily, why be so cruel?"

 

                "Because.  It's as simple as that there is no reason it's just because."  Jennifer sighs.

 

                "Events?"  Drewsie says.  "You said events at the start of this."

 

Mel takes a deep breath and tears spring to her eyes.

 

                "Yesterday afternoon, I was served papers from Lindsay and Michael petitioning for physical custody of Gus and Jenny respectively."

 

                "I will be on the next flight out."  Daphne is deadly calm.

 

                "This is what Josh is here for, to try and hash out a way round this.  Maybe if I just give her the support money?"  Brian suggests

 

                "No fucking way Brian you aren't doing that?  I would rather fight till I don't have a penny left to be able to adopt Gus before that happens!"  Justin barks.

 

                "Adopt?"

 

Gus stops pacing and looks round eyed at Justin.

 

                "You want to adopt me?"

 

                "Well as much as I can to legally become your dad yes.  If that's okay with you?"

 

                "Oh!"  Gus chokes out and flings himself into Justin's arms.

 

                "I don't get how she thinks this is going to fucking work anyway it's not as if they can support them with neither of them working."  Zee mumbles.

 

I whip round to face her.

 

                "Why isn't Lindz working?"  I demand.

 

Zee groans and then looks at Brian.

 

                "Full disclosure?"  She sighs and he nods.

 

                "You guys need to take a seat now too."  Brian tells them.  "She's not working because she's been suspended from Bloom Gallery for breach of company policy without pay."

 

                "What breach of company policy?"  Debs asks.

 

                "Why would you know that?"  Justin asks as the same time.

 

                "Lydia told me that she disclosed Hunter's HIV status to Melody Reichmann."

 

                "That fucking bitch!  I knew it, I knew she did that!"  Hunter snarls.

 

        "But when did she tell you and why does Zee seem to know?"  Justin demands.  "Brian?"

 

                "I know because I bought Uptown Gallery in partnership with Brian as she needed to free up some capital..."

 

                "Because she and I bought Bloom Gallery."

 

                "What?  Why did you two buy galleries?"  Justin's hands are on his hips.

 

                "For me it was a tax write off, nothing is going to change there, its art I have no interest.  Lydia will head the day to day operations.  Besides it is prime real estate and its value will only increase."

 

                "For me, I bought it for you.  When Zee told me what Lydia and Sydney were talking about, and I want my $50 back by the way as you cheated by lip reading, I just well thought you might kinda like...it as a wedding present."

 

Everything goes still.

 

                "Wedding present?"  Justin whispers.

 

                "Yeah, I'm not saying you should just show your own stuff but the gallery is yours."

 

                "Jesus Brian, can you for once do something small!"  Justin explodes

 

                "Uh..."

 

                "Thank you, thank you, and thank you!"  Justin is in his arms peppering his face with kisses.

 

                "Wait that means you can fire Lindsay right?"  Tucker pipes up.

 

                "And she would sue for in two seconds flat."  Mel advises

 

                "What about what Macaulay Culkin did?"  I ponder.  "Oh what's the e-word that he wanted to get away from his parents?  Dammit what the hell is it!"

 

                "Emancipation!  Emmett you genius!"  Josh crows.

 

                "That wouldn't work...would it?  I don't know much about emancipation law."  Mel looks hopeful

 

                "It could be enough for them to back off."  Joshua grins

 

                "If I was to be emancipated does that mean she would not be my mom anymore?"  Gus asks

 

                "Well yes, she would lose everything all rights to you permanently." 

 

                "Then do it."  Gus squares his shoulders.  "I want her gone she's hurt us enough."

 

                "For me too, I want them both gone."  Jenny holds Ben and Mel's hands.  "These are my parents."

 

                "And Brian Aiden Kinney, Justin Cole Taylor and Melanie Marcus are mine."  Gus beams.