Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

CHAPTER 40 - AFTERSHOCKS, HARD DECISIONS, SHENANIGANS & PAST BLASTS THROUGH

 

BRIAN

 

I think the world has stopped, there isn't a sound to be heard in or outside the building.

 

                "Mel?"  Lindz gasps.

 

                "Move you two!  I've pulled you out of a place before am happy to do it again."  George snarls.

 

Quickly they head to the door with George on their heels.

 

                "It's okay we're going, Mel we will talk when you get home and are calmer.  This has been a temp..."

 

                "You will not be there when she gets home, Vince can you take us for her to get an overnight bag.  Little one I think it's best if I handle this one, won't be long, Alice I'm going to borrow George as well." 

 

Alice nods.  But I'm looking at Zee; Zee hasn't said a word, moved or taken her eyes off Faal.

 

                "Little one your aunt is speaking to you..."  Luc's voice is quiet but firm.

 

                "Sorry Aunt D, yes please handle it."  She shakes her head as if to clear it.  "Faal?" 

 

He approaches with a smile and wraps his arms round her and she melts into him.

 

                "I really thought you weren't going to sit down."  He tilts her chin up.  "Feeling better?"

 

                "Mmm.  Thanks.  Excuse me I just need to make a call."

 

Lindz glowers at her as she goes to the dining room to do so.

 

                "Right let's go.  We won't be long."   D bustles to the door and starts to push Lindz and Michael out.

 

After a beat of silence, Debs turns to a still steaming Mel.

 

                "Mel, honey?" 

 

                "Uppity little madam, she called my daughter an uppity little madam and told her to shut the fuck up!"

 

At that moment a reluctant looking Jenny comes with Gus.

 

                "Momma can...where's momma and dad gone?"  She looks round the table.

 

                "To your dad's honey, um they..."  Debs begins.

 

                "Annoyed me and so I threw them out."  Leda explains. 

 

                "Fine, I'll apologise when I get home then."  She turns to leave

 

                "The hell you will!"  Mel barks.

 

Jenny turns to her in surprise, sits down next to her and takes her hand.

 

                "Mom.  What's happened?"

 

                "Sorry honey, I didn't mean to speak to you like that.  Residual anger at your momma.  Your momma's going to be going away for a few days..."

 

                "Are you splitting up?"  Gus asks

 

                "It's not an easy decision to make Gus, there's things to be factored in."  Mel sighs.

 

                "Like what?  For the last seven years you have been arguing on and off, and for the first time in ages you're really happy and I don't know if it is because you started to not let her have her own way all the time, called her on her shit.  Sorry.  But you are happier than you were in Canada and stronger."

 

                "Remember our chat at the Speakeasy Mel, can you honestly say right now, the blow ups today aside; that things have changed and you would answer differently?"  Jennifer asks gently.

 

She nibbles on her nail and sighs.

 

                "No."  She replies quietly.  "But it's going to be a big adjustment for the kids."

 

                "And that's what we're here for we can look after them and you.  We're not saying ditch her and end your relationship, but take this break for what it is, a time for evaluation, see if you can live without her or are you willing to have another go."

 

                "Thanks Debs, thanks everyone.  I suppose we should be going back home now."  Mel stands sighing.

 

                "No you're not, you are not in a fit state to go home right now.  Tell you what Miss Scarlett and Rhett are definitely due a nice long walk go on, take the kids and walk them."  Emmy Lou orders.

 

She nods and calls Matt and Hunter as well who are more than happy to get out.

 

                "Uh Mel can I come too?"  Leda asks.  "Need to see my temporary estate!"  She grins

 

Mel nods and once they are out of sight we all let out the breaths we have been metaphorically holding.

 

                "Holy fuck I didn't see that coming at all!"  Blake gasps.

 

                "Neither did Lindsay."  Carl replies.

 

                "Brandies anyone?"  Emmy Lou rifles through the cupboards.  "Zee where's...actually where are Zee and Faal?"

 

                "In the garage."  Luc replies smiling.

 

                "When in the hell did they get out there?"  Drew chuckles

 

                "Door between the dining room and kitchen leads to the garage, they're just making out though."

 

                "To quote Mel how the hell do you know that?"  Ted asks.

 

                "He comes in many languages!"  Luc snorts

 

BROWNSTONE

 

AUNT D

 

                "Well come on get a bag packed!"

 

                "Aunt D."

 

                "Mrs Stark."

 

                "Very well then, Mrs Stark, with all due respect..."

 

                "Oh respect, you want to chat that?  So when were you respectful?  At any point today when was that?!"

 

                "This is my home and I won't..."

 

I take a step towards the bane of my little one's life and look her dead in the eye.

 

                "It ain't.  You have 5 minutes starting now or hope that your roomie has some shit that fits you!"

 

She grabs a bag and packs quickly.

 

                "I'm only packing for one night, I will be back tomorrow!"

 

As she starts to leave I see her look at a coat and reach for it.

 

                "Don't."  I tell her

 

                "It's my coat and I left my other one at Leda's."

 

                "Put it on."

 

She looks surprised by that and there is a ghost of a smile.

 

                "Right now put it on." 

 

                "I'll only have to take it off when I get in the car."

 

                "Then so be it, but put it on now."

 

                "Deidra you okay up there, need some help?"  George calls up.

 

                "No I got this George!"  I call back.

 

                "Coat.on.now."  I grit out

 

She puts the bag down with a put upon sigh and slips the coat on.

 

                "I don't see why this is necessary."

 

                "Because I wanted to see what a beautifully cut Gucci coat looks like when it is too tight round the waist, too short in the sleeves and far too classy for you!  Now take off Mel's coat and get that flat ass of yours in the car.  I've wasted enough of my time, I have brandy to have and I'm definitely recommending that Zee has this place cleansed.  Oh and we'll send that mac of yours on afterwards."

 

She goes red and pulls off the coat before flinging it on the floor and starts to head down the stairs before turning to me hissing viciously.

 

                "You want it off the floor you pick it up!" 

 

                "Why would I eradicate evidence of your wrong doing?"  I smile sweetly at her.  "Let's go."

 

Five minutes later we're back on our way to Shadyside.

 

                "So Vince, you and Daphne how's it going?"  I ask.

 

                "Great Aunt D just great.  She's got hidden depths that one."

 

                "Which you plumbed the first night you met her."  Michael snarks quietly.

 

The car screeches to a halt and Vince has the door open and is in Michael's face in less than 30 seconds.

 

                "What did you say?"

 

                "Nothing!"  Michael squeaks sinking back into the seat.

 

                "Vince.  You're a much better man than this cowardly shit here.  Come on let's go.  And besides wouldn't it be better if Daphne dealt with him?"

 

The car rocks as the door is slammed and we continue on. 

 

SHADYSIDE

 

JOSHUA

 

I can't believe it.  Carrie and I just look at each other in shock.

 

                "This is a good thing though right.  He sounded, no they sounded happy right?"  She gasps.

 

                "Very, very fucking happy." 

 

With shaking hands I pour us a glass of wine each and grin.

 

                "I can't believe it."  I take her into my arms and hold her tight.

 

                "Uh Josh isn't that Lindsay?"

 

Carrie is looking out the window; I turn round and see Lindsay getting out of the car with Michael and a car peeling away.

 

                "Wonder what she's doing there and with a case."  I mumble to myself.

 

                "Never mind that let's finish off this wine."  She coos

 

                "Hmm, good idea Mrs Smalling."

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

We're sitting in my lounge in stunned silence.

 

                "Lindsay what are we going to do?" 

 

                "I don't know but she's not keeping me from Gus or..."

 

                "Or me from Jenny!" 

 

                "Exactly, but for now let's give everyone time to cool off, we all said some unfortunate things, it will be fine by tomorrow evening."

 

                "Can you believe the way Vince reacted to what I said to him about Daphne, seems I hit a nerve there"

 

She chuckles and nods.

 

                "As if she can do anything to us.  Right do we have anything to drink in here?"

 

I get up and check the fridge.

 

                "Beer or vodka?"

 

                "Vodka."

 

I pour each of us a large glass with soda and rejoin her on the sofa and after 20 minutes we've made our way through nearly half the bottle.

 

                "You know what I hated about today most of all?"

 

                "Nope."  I cough slightly at the burn

 

                "It just realised how absolute it was. It became all or nothing and when I wouldn't play wifey she punished me.  Well when I'm back where I belong we'll see who punishes who."

 

                "What was?"  I frown

 

                "And I hate her for it!  And I hate him!"

 

                "Who and who?"

 

                "Celeste and Justin!"

 

I'm surprised by her anger.

 

                "Okay who's Celeste?"

 

She shakes herself and takes another swig of vodka and turns to me.

 

                "Celeste?"

 

                "Yeah you said Celeste.  That you hate her and Justin."

 

                "Oh Celeste is Mel's middle name but don't tell her you know as she hates it.  Now I think we've had enough to drink and should now have a nap we have a lot to do tomorrow."

 

I nod and after about three attempts manage to get up off the sofa and make my way to my bedroom.

 

LINDZ

 

Fuck, fuck and double fuck!  Get it together Peterson!  Right I need to strategise, the thing is to get Mel by herself and then work my way back in, which will start tomorrow night, there's no way on earth I'm staying here or moving in with my parents!

 

SQUIRREL HILL

 

OUTSIDE THE FRONT DOOR

 

D

 

I'm so furious I could knock out Satan!  And it would seem judging by that reaction that things between Vince and Daphne are better than great.  Can't wait to meet her in person.

 

                "Vince you okay?"

 

                "Yes Aunt D, he shouldn't have said that considering it isn't true." 

 

                "You know it isn't she knows it isn't, what difference does it make what a jumped up little dickshit says?"

 

                "He insulted her."

 

                "Good answer.  Now let's go inside."

 

KITCHEN

 

                "Well how'd it go?"  Luc asks kissing me on the cheek.

 

                "Oh fine, they're at his little hovel safe and sound though there was a moment when Vince wanted to beat him up for besmirching Daphne's virtue."

 

                "What did he say, we'll make sure to tell her."  Emmy Lou asks.  "No really what did he say?"

 

I see the fire in his eyes and repeat it and his flame is burning inside and out and he immediately picks up his phone and heads to the dining room.

 

                "Where's everyone else?"

 

                "Mel, Leda and the kids are walking the dogs and Faal is cooling Zee's jets.  We're just waiting for them all to come back so we can have brandies...ah here's the dog walkers."  Luc smiles.

 

                "So Mel how are you feeling?" 

 

                "Fine I think.  I've got to put in a call to Harry, I think I'm going to take tomorrow off, well the morning at least."

 

                "I think that's an excellent idea.  Oh and the coat on the floor in your bedroom is nothing to do with me."  I tell her.  "Well in the sense that I didn't put it there."

 

Emmy Lou comes back to join us and then huffs.

 

                "Excuse me."

 

Two minutes later Zee and Faal are back with us.

 

                "Jesus could you two look anymore kissed?"  Justin teases them

 

                "She had a long way to come back from."  Faal shrugs.

 

Hunter and Matt come in with their helmets and look hopeful.

 

                "Mom, what time are the cars coming?"

 

                "Um seven, everyone should be home well before eight."  Zee replies.  "Okay who wants brandy?"

 

                "Gus, Jenny can you come here please."  Mel calls out.

 

They take one look at Hunter and Matt and turn full puppy eyes on Mel.

 

                "Can we be picked up eight and once home you two straight upstairs to bed understand?  Leda you coming too?"

 

                "What do you think?"

 

                "Am I moving the cars for everyone or just them?" 

 

                "Oh everyone."  Carl decides.  "Why do they get to stay out late on a school night and not us?"

 

We take the brandies into the lounge, the cushion having been moved at some point and the dogs are flopped in an exhausted heap.

 

                "What did she do to my babies?"  Emmy Lou gasps.  "They look worn out."

 

We laugh at his indignation and he grins goofily back at us.

 

DIRT BIKE TRACK

 

JENNY

 

                "Mom.  You do realise that she's just going to come back home either later or tomorrow?  It will be like the stew..."

 

                "I know sweetheart but what can I do?"

 

"What do you think you can do?"

 

She smiles at me

 

"You're right in order for her to take me seriously she has to know I'm not fucking, sorry, kidding around.  Leda!  Can you stay with them for a bit I need to talk to Zee and I've left my phone behind?"

 

                "Wait I have mine, just use that, what's going on?" 

 

                "Zee, its Mel, no everything's fine.  Look can you do me a favour?"

 

LOUNGE

 

ZEE

 

                "Are you absolutely sure?  Okay.  Are you sure it was just you?  I'll sort it."

 

                "What is it my lig?" 

 

                "Hang on doll.  Hey Bernie, sorry but it's a rush job for me.  Yeah.  We're still at Squirrel Hill.  Thanks."

 

I look round at everyone and tamp down my happiness.

 

                "She's asked me to change the locks."

 

SHADYSIDE - EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

That nap was so needed, and now I need coffee.  It seems that Lindz had the same idea as she's put some on.

 

                "Can you believe that Justin made Brian lie to us for all that time?"

 

She nods sipping on her coffee.

 

                "All that bullshit about being miserable.  He just didn't apply himself enough.  And now the same thing is going to happen to Hunter if we don't take a stand."

 

                "How can we do anything?"  I ask settling down next to her.

 

                "Hunter needs to accept that working with Melody is a much more viable option.  And I know just the man to do it."

 

 SQUIRREL HILL

 

LOUNGE

 

ZEE

 

                "Hey Bernie, oh great, how far away are you, okay see you in a few."

 

                "It's done so now what?"  Blake asks.

 

                "We be there for her and the kids and wait for Lindz's to come home."   Debs replies.

 

                "Well at least she can't get into the Brownstone, there's that."  Ted adds

 

                "I resent the implication that I would have a hovel Aunt D."

 

                "Pardon little one, what are you talking about?"

 

                "You said that they are back at his hovel safe and sound.  I do not have a hovel I have a well-appointed property in the much sought after Shadyside area that is in need of redecorating, refurbishment, landscaping and soon new tenants."

 

                "I don't under...oh!  You!  She has been boasting that she sold the place with a sitting tenant and how agreeable the new owner is!  Does he know?"  Jennifer gasps.

 

                "What?  What have we obviously missed?"  Emmy Lou looks round.

 

                "Seriously what?"  Drew huffs in impatience.

 

"Meet Michael's new landlord.  You are evil."  Brian raises his glass to me.

 

                "I'm sweet.  But as they say one man's wine is another man's vinegar."

 

BROWNSTONE - EARLY MONDAY MORNING

 

2ND MASTER BEDROOM

 

JENNY

 

                "Mom you okay?"

 

                "Yes Jenny, I'm fine, what time is it?"

 

                "Just gone seven, thought you might need a hug and of course coffee."

 

                "Oh yes to both.  But first I need to brush my teeth."

 

Mom looks tired but relieved, I think she was worried that momma would be here.  I'm glad she's taken today off even if it did take Hunter being sneaky to do it.  When we got home he asked to borrow her phone because his battery was ‘dead' so he could ‘email Lydia' and of course he didn't and sent the email to Harry instead.

 

                "I should be really mad at Hunter."  She tells me snuggling into the pillows.

 

                "But you're not." 

 

                "No I'm not.  Though I could've done without you sitting on my stomach young lady!"

 

                "Pfft you have abs of steel you barely felt me."

 

                "Speaking of feeling, get the arnica and let me tend to that bruise."

 

I hop off the bed and go and get it when I come back in she's chuckling.

 

                "What's so funny?" 

 

                "Oh!  I can't breathe I really can't!" 

 

I take the phone off of her and stare at the screen.

 

                "That's his new contact photo."  I tell her.

 

BEN & HUNTER'S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

I'm going through my emails and I come across the one from Blake and almost spit out my coffee.

 

                "Steve?!"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Check your emails!"

 

"Holy fuck!"

 

BRITIN

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

I'm just having my guava juice and Justin comes in with tears streaming down his face.

 

                "Justin what is it?!"

 

Silently he hands me the phone.

 

                "Oh for fuck!  Justin why just why would you show me that!"

 

                "I see what you mean about the tongue."  He observes when he's stopped laughing.

 

DINER - LATE MORNING

 

KIKI

 

Well I'm not sure what happened over the weekend but Debs isn't in a good mood.   She keeps checking her phone for some reason and looking disappointed.

 

                "You okay Debs?" 

 

                "Yeah Miss Kiki, just wanted to hear from Michael that's all."

 

                "What happened this time?"

 

                "He and Lindsay kicked off again and this time Leda threw them out."

 

I nod sagely and was about to say something when the man of the hour comes in.

 

                "Good morning mother if I can still call you that after your lack of defence of me yesterday."

 

Ah Pity Me Michael is here.

 

                "Michael, go sit over in that booth and wait for me."

 

He ambles over to the booth looking reproachfully over his shoulder about three times before he gets there.  Talk about laying it on thick, for about five minutes he tracks her movements with a hound dog expression, which is working my last nerve.

 

                "You know Michael they should bottle you?"  One of the twinks calls out as he heads to the door.

 

Debs and I exchange looks.

 

                "What are you talking about?"  He calls back.

 

                "You must have magical slobber because Patrice's spots are all gone!"  He cackles and leaves

 

                "So Debs what's that about?  Debs where are you?"  I hiss

 

I look behind the counter and find her crouched down with her head in her hands shaking

 

                "Oh sweetie what is it?"

 

She just shakes her head and doesn't look up.

 

                "You want me to see to Michael?"

 

She nods and I head to him.

 

                "Where's ma?" 

 

                "Out back tending to something, what can I get you?" 

 

                "Will she be long?"

 

                "Not sure so either order or give this table up to a paying customer." 

 

                "Tell her I'll be back later."

 

He gets up and stalks out and I head back to the counter, she's still not come up from her crouched position.

 

                "Okay what the hell is going on?" 

 

Debs stands up and wipes her eyes and wordlessly hands me her phone.

 

                "Oh man that's bad."

 

SHADYSIDE - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

LINDZ

 

                "Good afternoon may I be put through to Robert Craswell please, yes its Lindsay Peterson."

 

I walk round humming to the hold music.

 

                "Robert hello, how are you.  Glad to hear it.  I'm very well thank you.  The reason for my call I wondered if you managed to attend the events held at the Bloom and Uptown galleries?  You didn't.  Oh that surprises me.  Well it seems they have rather a find in one Hunter Bruckner who's a trainee curator there, well at Uptown, he found the Kirkidan Series and ended up doing a joint hosting with Lucian Stark, yes the one and the same.  I know isn't that exciting for him.  Yes a bright new star in the curator firmament, how eloquently put...well the thing is..."

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

CARA

 

                "Bloom how...oh hey Marek, how are you, yeah she's in but in the basement, want me to get her to call you back.  Oh okay no problem, see you."

 

I trot downstairs and find Lydia curating with Scottie.

 

                "Lydia, Marek wants to talk to you says it can't wait."

 

                "Oh okay, give me two minutes, let me wash my hands and I'll call him right back..."

 

                "Tried that says you need to go across."

 

                "Did he say what he wanted?" 

 

She asks as we head back upstairs.

 

                "No but he sounds pissed."

 

UPTOWN

 

MAREK

 

                "Let me know the moment Lydia gets here please Martine."

 

I head to the basement and stomp about a bit...I know I'm most likely being irrational but I know people like them built them up, tempt them and then leave them to drown.

 

                "Marek!  Aunt Liddie's here!" 

 

I head back up and nod at Hunter who follows us into the office.

 

                "Okay darlings what's this about?"

 

                "Interviews.  As in people have been calling Hunter for them."

 

                "Yes, this it to be expected especially in light of the Stark showing."

 

                "But this one guy Craswell phoned three times already saying that he's heard of him via a source from the Reichmann family and is pressing for an interview."

 

This causes her eyebrows to lift.

 

                "Exactly."

 

                "Hunter how do you feel about doing an interview with Craswell."

 

                "I don't want to do any interviews, I'm happy where I am thanks.  Not after what happened last time and that wasn't an interview that was just a picture of me."

 

Lydia pats his hand as he sighs, clearly I have missed something.

 

                "That was a one-off my urchin.  Let me put in a couple of calls and see what the fuck this is about."

 

She strides back across to Bloom and I turn to him.

 

                "So what one-off has you so upset?"

 

BLOOM

 

LYDIA

 

Now Lydia Miranda Glendale, you will remain calm, you will take a step back and think logically, in all the years you have known her have you ever known Melody to go back on a promise especially one made in front of witnesses...right, now make the call...actually come to think of it.

 

                "Hey it's Lydia..."

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

Today has been a great day so far.  I got a good few more hours sleep and am now enjoying cooking dinner for the kids.  Luckily Bernie had got enough keys cut for all of us so we didn't have to worry about that this morning.

 

I've heard from Harry about a couple off cases that I need to concentrate on for the rest of the week, not as big as the custody ones but still as important.

 

                "Melanie Marcus speak...oh hey Leda.  No say that again, I can't understand.  Oh shit I'll be right there!"

 

I grab my purse and shut everything off.  Mercifully I manage to grab a cab quickly and make it to Squirrel Hill within minutes.

 

SQUIRREL HILL

 

I dash into the garage and skitter to a halt and want to throttle her!

 

                "I'm going to fucking kill you for that you scared the shit out of me!"  I smack her hard on the arm.

 

                "Hey no hitting, remember I haven't hit send on the rebate application yet!"

 

                "Seriously there's a rat in the house, couldn't you just have asked me to come up instead of tugging on the phobia card?!  Now seriously, are you nuts?  When they find out about this you will never get rid of them!"

 

                "They were already hers before she came here."  Faal tells me

 

                "I swear we didn't know about them."  Zee adds.

 

                "And now they have a place, albeit a temporary one, it would be rude not to introduce them to the rest of the family."  He adds grinning.

 

BROWNSTONE - LATE AFTERNOON

 

MEL

 

Okay it is all in the way you spin in it, if you can win a custody case, you can persuade a couple of teenagers that they should be respectful of privacy and not badger.

 

                "Hey mom!  Smells great in here."  Jenny kisses me on the cheek.  "I'll be right back.  Gus is talking to Phil so he may be a while."

 

I smile and nod, Gus hasn't mentioned Phil to anyone but Hunter, Matt, Jenny, his dads and me, and we've been sworn to secrecy.  I think they may be on their first proper date-date soon.

 

Jenny clatters downstairs with her books and then pops her head out the front door and tells Gus to finish up the call inside.

 

                "No, I don't have to go yet..."

 

                "Yes you do, five more minutes."  I call out.

 

                "Okay five more minutes.  Uh huh, nothing apart from lunch, well uh yeah that would be uh nice.  No we're not sure where we are this weekend.  Oh at Britin, which is my dad's house.  No it would be on Sun-Saturday, apparently it's Saturday; yeah let me call you back, the walls have very big ears!"

 

He dashes upstairs blushing furiously before he's back and after an hour they have finished their homework and I've sorted through my court papers.

 

                "So I went to see Aunt Leda today..."

 

Before I could finish there is the sound of a key in the door and then knocking starts.

 

                "Mel!  Mel!  Open this door, we need to talk!"  Lindz calls out.

 

I head to the door and taking a breath open the side window.

 

                "What do you want Lindsay?"

 

                "What-what do I want?  I want to talk to you about yesterday's unpleasantness and how we can fix things."

 

                "Unpleasantness, you call calling Jenny an uppity little madam and telling her to shut the fuck up unpleasant?"

 

                "Mel if you could just open the door we can talk inside."

 

                "No, the fact that those were the first words out of your mouth and nothing else speaks volumes..."

 

                "She was rude to me too."  She argues.

 

                "For which she came to apologise for which is more than can be said for you.  And taking this approach is not helping you here, now I'm going to close the window and you're going to go away."

 

                "Mel!"

 

MATT

 

                "Excuse me Lindsay I want to get in."

 

                "So would I but my key doesn't seem to work.  I've had a long day and..."

 

                "Doing what?"

 

That seems to throw her.

 

                "What do you mean?"

 

                "From what I saw on Sunday and what I witnessed here, you seem to spend an awful amount of time living through other people or trying to.  Like you attempted to with Hunter but he's got the measure of you and your fellow cohort.   Or treating people with distain when you think they are of no use.  And as for the Peterson name...for a something that's supposed to mean ‘pretty' you are an ugly person.  Like I said..."

 

                "Matt!  Hey hold the...oh you're here."  He mumbles.

 

                "Hey babe, how was your day?"  I kiss him.

 

                "Annoying but nothing that Lydia can't sort.  Shall we go round the back?" 

 

                "Good idea."

 

LINDZ

 

                "Tell Mel that I will be back every day until I talk to her!"  I call to their retreating backs.

 

                "Lindsay.  You need to go back to Michael's and leave Mel to come to you."  Carl tells me.

 

                "But Carl I love her!  What am I going to do?"  I sniffle.

 

                "Wow that's impressive."

 

                "Mel!"

 

                "Not a drop for me or the kids but the moment there is someone else out come the tears.  Hey Carl, thanks for coming over, I think I need the big guns for this."

 

                "Mel if this is something to do with the children then Michael and I need to be involved!"

 

                "Do you see Ben?"  She queries.

 

                "No."

 

                "Then it's not a parental thing, it's a papa bear thing.  Good night Lindsay."

 

I try to follow Carl but he shakes his head firmly.

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

                "Right the reason that grandpa is here is twofold.  One, Gus we are moving your car to Squirrel Hill, there is more space to work there and Leda can work on it whilst you guys can't.  And two, before I show you this you must promise me that you won't go up there until Saturday."

 

                "Our bikes are there already that's awesome!"  Gus cries.

 

                "No your bikes won't be there until Thursday and then Leda is going to double check them before you take them out.  Do I have a promise from you two, actually you four?"

 

They all nod and taking a deep breath I show them my phone.

 

                "Oh my God!"

 

                "What are they?"

 

                "Saturday we have to wait till Saturday!"

 

                "What're their names?"

 

                "You can't do that that's not fair!" 

 

                "When did she get them?"

 

I grin as the phone is huddled over and Carl chuckles into his coffee.

 

                "Okay in order.  Malamutes.  Yes you do.  Butch and Sundance.  Yes I can.  She's had them a year."

 

                "So mom why's grandpa here?"

 

                "Witness to your promise."

 

                "Shit!"  Matt mutters.

 

CHASE HAROLD & DRAPER - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

MEL

 

"Well Ellen that is me done for the day.  And the same goes for you too.  Have a good night."

 

"Night Mel."

 

I head down in the lift and all I'm thinking about is a nice warm red and a hot bath.

 

                "Mel!" 

 

Oh for fuck sake, get a fucking clue.

 

                "Lindsay what are you doing here?"  I sigh

 

                "I want to talk to you and you're not letting me in the marital home or answering my calls."

 

                "And yet you can't seem to take the hint that I'm not ready to talk to you about the weekend yet?"

 

She strides along after me as I pray to the taxi God that one stops for me soon.

 

                "How long are you going to keep punishing me, it's not as if..."

 

                "Melanie!  Is that you Melanie Marcus?" 

 

I turn round to the somewhat familiar voice and frown.

 

                "Uh yes, it is, now I do know you but..."

 

                "Grace!  Grace Fletcher, I used to live in Toronto.  We crossed swords at the Mailer trial and made up at cocktail drinks afterwards!"

 

I am gobsmacked.  The Grace Fletcher I knew didn't look like that.

 

                "Oh my goodness, Grace!  Jesus you look fantastic!  What the hell are you doing in Pittsburgh?"

 

 I ask hugging her tightly and watching the annoyance flit across Lindz's face.

 

                "Why thank you.  You look great yourself, I'm just passing through on my way back home, sadly estate business my aunt passed."

 

                "Oh I'm sorry to hear that.  Look, I've got to run...kids to see to, here's my card if you're in Pittsburgh for the rest of the week let's catch up properly.  I'm free on Thursday evening for lunch and dinner."

 

        "Absolutely, would love to.  Oh stick your hand out...now!"  She giggles

 

And like magic there is a cab.

 

        "Grace it's been lovely to see you, please call me to catch up."

 

        "I will take care!"

 

LINDZ

 

I watch Mel take off in the cab and grimace but plastering a smile on my face I turn to Grace.

 

        "Well if you'll excuse..."

 

        "What no hello, no how are you, no questions at all."

 

        "Should there be?"  I'm beginning to tire of this woman with her fawning over Mel and that attitude

 

        "I guess I didn't register with you then but you did and you haven't changed a bit."

 

                "Thanks.  And no you obviously didn't so you have me at a disadvantage."  I tell her.  "You met Mel at a trial how do you know me?"

 

                "It wasn't a compliment.  And you fucked my then partner but now wife for two and a half years."