Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 28 - THE START OF THE GOODBYE SYDNEY & THE WORKINGS OF AN IDIOT MIND

 

BLOOM - MONDAY MORNING

 

SYDNEY

 

              "Now Lydia, you wanted to discuss personnel issues?"

 

              "Uh huh, I know you mentioned that Matthew is going to be on paternity leave as of next Friday we can move George to cover him as he has a bit of renaissance experience.  So, the second issue is Martine isn't it?"

 

I nod sadly.

 

              "She's a lovely girl, works hard and is enthusiastic but I don't think she's the right fit for here, I'm sorry Lydia..."

 

              "I agree with you.  I don't see the spark here, yes she loves art but this is just not her jam, so I want your advice on something.  What do you think of me making Uptown a younger and hipper gallery, sourcing new and younger artists and make this one the renaissance, the classics and moving Martine to Uptown to work alongside Hunter?"

 

              "That's, that's an excellent idea.  Now the biggest issue we have is Lyndsey."

 

She nods and takes a sip of her coffee.

 

              "Yes, Lyndsey Petersen.  What's happening with her?  I got the impression you were done at the launch but now she's back and on probation, why?"

 

              "Misplaced sense of loyalty to her I suppose."

 

              "Even after Sam Auerbach?"

 

I look at her in surprise.

 

              "The art world is a small one remember?"

 

              "Sam Auerbach what about him?"

 

              "You mean you didn't know?  She and he had a bit of a fuck against his abstract one night after his show, she's a bit of a screamer."

 

              "But, but, she's a lesbian."  I splutter

 

              "Seems she also happens to like cock, once in a while." 

 

              "Good grief.  So anyway, oh what an image.  Can you pass me the, what's the phrase the young use these days, brain bleach is that it?"

 

She nods giggling.

 

              "She's only been here since the beginning of January and already she's taken six days off claiming she's been sick, it was only due to Hunter's slip of the tongue that I found out otherwise.  She comes and goes, or used to, when she pleases, case in point last Monday she knew we had a meeting and although it was at five she didn't come in a few minutes beforehand once, I suppose, she felt safe that I was out for the day..."

 

              "Why the hell haven't you fired her, she would've been out on her ass and stayed there if that was me."

 

              "When she does it well she's good at her job and..."

 

              "Hunter has HIV and sometimes his meds make him sick, but he comes in anyway, one time I actually had to take him all the way home to make sure he got there and had his dad waiting for me to make sure he rested as he was so busy cataloguing for the Matt Show."

 

              "That was Hunter's work, he sourced them?"

 

              "From start to finish.  Now back to Lindsay, I will, albeit reluctantly, keep her on probation but one slip up, then I will make it so she couldn't work in Alaska.  Now onto more pleasant subjects your party.  They've been very busy going to each gallery round here to invite everyone and have done a database of patrons, can you go through them and weed out the undesirables?  And then we make the announcements we need to make this afternoon."

 

E&ZHoD

 

EMMY LOU

 

              "Now I want you to say that to me again slowly Hunter, very slowly."

 

Hunter is grinning from ear to ear.

 

              "The budget for Sydney's retirement party is $500,000.  He said he wants to go in style!"

 

              "For up to 300 people!  That's over a thousand dollars per head, there's only two of us!"  I shriek.  "And you want this done by next, I repeat, next week!"

 

              "Emmy Lou, we will hire extra staff, we will do the menu, we will show them how to cook it, we will source the wine, and we will power the fuck through and get shit done...are you back with us now?  Nod if there is a calm caterer in there trying to beat the hysterical one to death!"  Zee asks smiling

 

I nod at her and take a breath.

 

              "And where is this illustrious venue to be?"

 

              "Not telling now that's being announced this afternoon, so you've got to be there for that roundabout three and he will want to talk menus.  Right, time to be a curator and not a party planner.  See you later!"

 

              "Right first things first, chefs on standby, Costino on standby, truck overhauled..."

 

              "Em.my.Lou!  You're supposed to be talking me down remember!"

 

CHASE, HAROLD & DRAPER

 

ELLEN

 

              "Mel there's Adam White to see you.  Shall I send him in?"

 

              "Yes, yes please and I'm not to be disturbed."

 

MEL'S OFFICE

 

              "Adam twice in two days, I'm honoured.  Have a seat, do you want a coffee?"

 

              "No, no, I just wanted to know how Lindsay took it."

 

              "Took what?"  I look at him in slight confusion.  "Oh my God she got served didn't she?"

 

He nods.

 

              "Ah that explains it."  I have to smile.

 

              "What?"

 

              "All the blood leaving her face when I told her who you were, right after I told her that I pity anybody who you come after."

 

He chuckles.

 

              "So Leda huh, she is one foxy lady."

 

              "Adam she's on our side."  I remind him.

 

              "Yeah but she's only cheering on one person..."

 

              "Why do people keep saying that?"  I mumble

 

              "Because it's blindingly fucking obvious!  Mel, Melanie Marcus are you blushing!  Holy shit you are blushing, we're going to lunch on oh wait, can you do Friday and you're telling me everything!"

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN'S OFFICE

 

              "Kinney.  Oh hi Joshua, I'm good and you?  Yes, I still want to go through with it, we will explain to Gus why it's being done, the only way it stops is if Gus asks me to.  But after the wedding, which you are invited to 2nd weekend of April, not got a venue yet, or flowers, a pastor or anything...oh actually there is a favour you could do for me, it involves your wife."

 

BLOOM - MID-AFTERNOON

 

LYDIA

 

              "Ah Lyndsey could you do the honours with the sign, thank you dear."

 

I watch with great satisfaction as a ripple of annoyance goes through her, she's been a mite snippy with Martine today and I know I shouldn't play favourites considering what's going to happen, but she's in no position to be Miss HoityToity.

 

              "Right everyone.  Sydney and I have had our discussions and made some decisions, some may surprise you and those who know how I work will know that if I'm saying them out in this open forum it is nothing but good news for those concerned.  Firstly, Matthew, congratulations on your impending fatherhood you are going to be missed during your paternity leave but know that there is a place waiting for you on your return and here is a token of our esteem.  Do you know what you're having?"

 

              "Twin girls."

 

              "Oh dear then having seen your wife I feel you need to get a shotgun because they are going to be beauties!"

 

              "Thanks Lydia and thanks for this, Shelly is going to love it."

 

              "It's amazing when babies are born, that everyone gets stuff for the baby but never for the person who did the hard work...I made damn sure I got a push present!  Right, the next bit of news, when Matthew goes this means there will be a place available here for another renaissance expert and we feel that would be best filled by George, so he will work with Scott in this regard.  Now with regards to Uptown itself.  Having discussed it with Sydney we feel that it would be best if the renaissance part of Uptown comes over here, which obviously means that Scott will be coming over here too, and Uptown should concentrate on sourcing works from younger and more recent artists.  To that end, and as much as I love her, Martine will be leaving Bloom..."

 

There are collective gasps of shock and Martine looks like she's going to cry.

 

              "Now, now, everyone please, remember open forum nothing but good news.  Leaving Bloom to go and work with Hunter, John, Marek and Kaden under the tutelage of Christoph and Malcolm in sourcing these works."

 

              "What really, Aunt Liddie really?!" 

 

              "Yes, really.  These changes come into effect next Monday so use this week as a time to pack up your shit and cross over, I want you to hit the ground running first thing.  Now the bittersweet bit, the party for Sydney.  Hunter and Martine have been working very hard and we have a list, final approval pending, of attendees ready to send email invites to by Friday.  And I understand that they have got some news about the venue and hopefully excellent news about the caterers..."

 

There is a knocking at the door and Cara opens it, despite Lyndsey being nearer, she grins and hugs Zee and Emmett.

 

              "Ah so that's one bit of good news, what's the rest?"  I ask them

 

              "Okay so these are the caterers and we've got a huge budget from Sydney that almost gave Auntie Em an attack of the vapours.  And venue wise it's going to be held at the Frick..."  Hunter starts.

 

              "Oh why there?  I would've thought that someone of Sydney's standing in the art world it should be a more illustrious venue."  Lindsay asks

 

              "As we were saying, Sydney's retirement party is going to be held at the Frick Family Estate also known as the Clayton.   The entire house for the evening."  Hunter finishes.

 

              "What?  Seriously what?"  Sydney blusters.  "H-how did you manage this?"

 

Before he could answer they are both enveloped into a hug by Sydney who is struggling not to cry.

 

              "I don't k-know what to say."  He stammers.  "The entire house?"

 

Martine nods a little teary eyed herself, she's grown very fond of Sydney and him of her.

 

              "Okay I have sway in the art world, no I'm not bragging I'm merely stating a fact, but how the hell did you two little urchins manage that?"  I grin.

 

              "An urchin never reveals his sources."  Hunter grins back.  "Oh and one other thing, it will be Black Tie."

 

              "Right that's enough with the announcements.  Now Hunter, Martine, Zee and Emmett if you could take the shell-shocked Sydney back to his office to discuss menus the rest of you back to work."

 

Everyone heads back to where they need to be as I pass Lyndsay's desk, I lean down and whisper.

 

              "Do remember you're on probation."

 

SHADYSIDE - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I'm still smarting over the strike two remark from Faal, but I have to keep my remarks to myself if I want to go to Portland, this will be my time to finally put that man in his place.  I've not seen much of Joshua and his family since the lunch and I'm still pissed about the IRS garnishing my Rage money but at least we still get to go to New York once I get my money back from Brian.

 

I can't believe Jennifer would demean herself like that over the casting thing, Boy Wonder I could understand as he has to do anything in his power to keep Brian interested.

 

I keep checking my bank in the hope that the IRS has returned some of the money but it would seem not.

 

Another thing that has annoyed me is not hearing back from Kip Thomas, Lindsay couldn't tell me anything else other than when Mel was out with Brian, Emmett and Ted, after Emmett had seen the light, she heard Justin say something about it being a mystery why the lawsuit was dropped but it was the way he looked when he said it. 

 

Brian has gotten lucky over the years though, first Kip and then his nephew's molestation charges, ma told me that Boy Wonder had something to do with that too, something about following him to the arcade and spotting Brian's bracelet.

 

That's the thing with Brian, he's sexy, smart and rich but still wants that slut in his bed, why can't he see how devious and manipulative Boy Wonder is?  I would never cheat on him, I would never lie to him, and I would never hurt him that's why I'm his best friend!   This wedding is farcical and I'm going to prove to him that Boy the slut Wonder cannot be trusted!

 

EMILY & FRANCINE'S HOUSE

 

EMILY

 

              "Hi Adam.  I'm fine thanks again for the lovely flowers, most appreciated.  You've issued the papers, I'm glad.  I have to admit that I wasn't going to do it, take her to court I mean, but before my dad passed I asked if I was being a bitch about it and just going after her because...and you know what he said?  H-he said that unless people like Lindsay are stopped or at least people try to stop them and even if they fail, to know that they tr-tried it makes a difference and m-makes people s-s-see them differently, not so per-perfect.  Th-that's all that matters, to try to make the difference.  She thought this was perfectly fine what else has she done?"

 

I feel Francine's arms round me and she quietly speaks to Adam before hanging up.

 

              "Win or lose, you are the better person, now dry those tears, we have to go shopping!"

 

Wiping my eyes I smile at her.

 

              "What for?" 

 

              "Party dresses of course, you know I do the floral displays for the Uptown Gallery, well seems they are having a bit of a bash and we've been invited.  It's at the Clayton and its Black Tie no less!"

 

BROWNSTONE - FRIDAY MORNING

 

MEL

 

God what a week it has been!  I won two cases and got a mistrial and a postponement on the other two.  Gus and Jenny have had some serious tests to do this week and are frazzled.  Hunter has been working all the hours God sends to make sure the party is perfect and what has Lyndsey been doing, she's been moping...why?  Because Lydia reminded her to do her job once more.  She's got a showing tonight so that means she won't be home until later.  Whilst I'm glad that I've got half day and will be having a lovely lunch with Adam the very idea of being sociable with anyone other than the kids this weekend, since we have Portland next weekend does not appeal, as much as I love them, well most of them.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

Fuck me what a week.  We did five pitches and secured them all, which is great but I feel like shit.  Justin's been painting like fuck although the massage techniques that Carrie gave me have helped enormously, what would really help would be not fucking doing anything this weekend.

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT RESIDENCE

 

DREW

 

Poor Ems has been run ragged this week, the people at the Clayton have been calling non-stop, he and Zee stopped talking twice because they are so stressed out.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

              "Brian hey, is it me or has it been a fucking pig of a week?"

 

              "You as well?"

 

              "Look, I'm sorry but we won't be there for lunch.  Zee is to the bones tired and very cranky.  We just need this weekend to..."

 

              "Oh thank Christ, we just wanted alone time too!  Now how do we spin this to the rest of the family?"

 

              "Easy that's what papa bear and queen are for.  Now go make the call."

 

DEB & CARL'S

 

CARL

 

              "Horvath.  Oh hi Brian.  Ah papa bear, what do you need me to do?  Really, are you sure, great!  I don't mean great in that sense but...okay I'll send the email."

 

I put the down the phone and heave a sigh of relief.

 

              "Red!  We've got a weekend to ourselves!"

 

              "Oh thank God, don't get me wrong I love the bones of them all but this week has been for shit!"

 

I send the email out and it seems we were all of the same mind as there is not one complaint.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MASTER BEDROOM - EARLY MORNING

 

ZEE

 

              "Faal."

 

              "I'm asleep...ouch!  Okay no nipple nipping I'm awake!  There's my girl, now what does she want to talk about at seven o'clock in the morning?"

 

              "Have a back-up plan for New York just in case Captain Asshat and Stuck-Up Heifer manage somehow to get under the wire."

 

He raises an eyebrow.

 

              "Okay this needs coffee."

 

We curl back under the blankets and relish the silence and the fact we don't have to go anywhere

 

              "Okay go."  He kisses my shoulder

 

              "First I need to go house hunting.  Shadyside looks good."

 

              "Okay not quite sure why you need to buy a house..."

 

              "Well where else is a certain petrolhead going to stay now that she's itching to put down roots somewhere..."

 

BRITIN - MID-MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

              "Fuck me I needed that!"  I pant and groan as Justin gently withdraws but remains glued to my chest.

 

              "I-I figured."  He mumbles.

 

              "Come on baby up, the last time we slept like this, it hurt remember?"

 

He giggles and lifts his head and brushes his fingers through my damp hair.

 

              "The left one, as your right is more sensitive." 

 

              "And in English that means?"

 

              "Stud's stud should be in his left ear because me kissing and nibbling on his right makes him wriggle and moan more."

 

              "Oh I see.  Have some water?" 

 

He frowns at me.

 

              "You don't want to do this do you?

 

              "Have some water and then we'll talk.  Please?"

 

Sighing he sits up and takes the glass and just as he was about to drink and I was about to stop him, he pauses and gasps.  With shaking hands he pours the water from his glass into mine and takes out the stud.

 

              "Is it okay?"

 

He turns it over in his hand and just nods as he's starting to sniffle.

 

              "You're coming with me to hold my hand right?"

 

              "Okay."

 

              "Now seriously, shower!"

 

SHADYSIDE - LUNCH TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

I wonder what we are having for lunch today.  I've not heard from Jenny since Thursday saying that she had a few tests.

 

Okay the service is not normally this late, it's nearly three o'clock, maybe I will call ma.

 

              "Ma it's me.  Where are you?  What do you mean you're at home cooking with Carl is lunch being held there then, well that would explain the lack of...huh what email?  I never received an email cancelling lunch this weekend!  No I didn't!  Well clearly he didn't send it to me!  Well of course he's going to say he did when he didn't.  Fine I'll make my own arrangements!"

 

I throw my phone into the sofa in frustration and stomp over to my laptop to check the email and there's no message from Carl as I said to her.  He's lied to her and to me, how dare he?!

 

I was just about to call her back when Phil's call came through.

 

              "Hey Phil.  I'm good you?  What are you kidding me when, where, thanks I'll be there!"

 

I can't believe it!  That's brilliant in two weeks' time Brett Keller is coming to Pittsburgh to give a talk at the GLC and there is nothing Ted's twink can do to stop me from attending!