Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 23 - BITE OF THE COLD, NAMING THE BUSINESS & PREPPING TO LAUNCH

 

FAAL

 

I splutter into my drink, then inhale and it goes down the wrong way and I end up with a coughing fit and streaming eyes.

 

              "Faal you okay?"  Drew slaps me on the back.  "Gus!  Get some water!"

 

              "Here Uncle Faal." 

 

He hands me the water and watches me carefully drink it, concern etched on his face.

 

              "I'm fine everyone just went down the wrong way."  I croak.

 

I reassure them and wink at Zee, she smiles back and resumes talking to Debs and Emmy Lou.

 

Brian, Vince and Carl make their way over, Gus is still hovering just in case, he's such a good boy; just how can she play with his life like that?  Luckily, she's being contained by Jennifer and judging by the fire in her eyes, it seems Sunshine has been talking to mom.

 

              "You okay Faal, you sure?"  Vince asks. 

 

              "Honest Vince, I'm fine, I just overheard something and it caught me off guard."

 

              "What did?"  Brian asks

 

              "Later okay?"

 

He nods and goes back to Justin, when I see Ted and Blake join them I start to snicker again.

 

              "Faal?"  Carl prompts.

 

              "Please can we talk about something else anything?"  I beg having to look at the floor.

 

              "Oh gun oil, can either of you spare a bottle, I'm down to my last dribble?"  Vince asks.

 

I look at Carl and he shakes his head.

 

              "Damn, mine's at work and I need to bring that home and order some more."

 

              "I've got a box of gun oil in the car, give you a couple of cans one water based and one silicone each okay?"  I offer

 

              "Faal!  I know you have a broad sense of humour but Gus is right there and that was inappropriate!"

 

Everything stops and everyone looks at Michael.

 

              "Uh Uncle Michael..."

 

              "Gus I apologise for their crassness.  Look there is a time and place for talking about that kind of thing and saying you will be sharing supplies but this is not it!  If you must discuss gun oil at least make sure there aren't any kids about!"  He hisses at us.

 

              "Michael, how is gun oil not a child friendly topic, especially when one isn't present!"  I snap.

 

              "Gun...gun oil.  Oh my God that's priceless Mikey really priceless!"   Brian is almost doubled over with laughter as is Justin, who is wiping his eyes.

 

              "Uh dad, someone care to explain what's so wrong and is now so funny?" 

 

Gus is looking from his dad to us in confusion and to be honest neither Carl, Vince nor I can see what's so funny.  Brian tries to compose himself and finally he's down to a snorting giggle.

 

              "Gus, your uncles and grandpa are talking about gun oil as in for a weapon, your Uncle Michael thinks they are talking about a whole other use for it..."

 

              "What other use?"   Gus asks then he snickers when Jenny shows him her phone.

 

Immediately Mel is by his side and looking over his shoulder and others are on their phones, well apart from the people in the know, so I'm going to assume it's a sex thing, Zee mouths ‘personal lubricant' at me and I start to laugh.

 

              "Apparently, there are two type of gun oil...the other is for adult toys."  I explain to Vince and Carl.

 

              "What other use is there?!"  Michael demands as the laughter dies down.

 

              "For oiling our guns...hence the name gun oil.  Brian stop laughing or go outside!"  Carl admonishes.

 

              "Ahem, yes papa bear." 

 

              "Why would you need that now, it's not as if you have your guns here?"  Michael snaps blushing

 

              "What do you mean Michael, of course they have their guns here.  Well I know Vince does and Carl has his here because he lives here, not sure what the rules will be for Zee and Faal in this house but they have guns too."  Brian snaps back.

 

              "Well we've not discussed it yet.  But yes we do have them with us..."

 

              "You have a gun in the presence of my child!"   Michael shrieks at me.

 

              "I wasn't aware of this, this unacceptable and dangerous!"  Lindz cries.  "Mel!  Did you know about this?"

 

              "I didn't!  Guys I'm not comfortable with this."

 

              "Actually, nor am I, yes you're in security business and weaponry is expected but..."  Ben begins

 

              "Everyone be quiet!"  Carl booms.  "Let them explain, it will all make perfect sense if you listen."

 

              "Thanks Carl.  Yes we have our guns here, but they are in a case, locked in a sealed part of the car outside and down the street.  And the reason we have them is because we had a competency test this morning, which we passed by the way." 

 

              "We would never wear them in the presence of the kids.  Never well except that one time when we first met and he went overprotective on me."  Zee tries to reassure them.

 

              "I don't remember that?"  Lindz pipes up.

 

              "We were at Britin, the night I found Claudia and you were focused on Brian.  It was BYNF, oh how I miss those halcyon days..."  Zee mutters.

 

Mel nods and after some thought so does Ben.

 

              "Sorry guys.  We were unfair to you.  I don't see guns when I see you two, well actually just you Zee.  Vince and Faal I can see them packing but you, I just can't see it."  Ben explains.

 

              "I'm going to take that as a compliment."  She giggles. 

 

              "Uh BYNF, what's does that mean?"  Lindz asks.

 

              "Before you noticed Faal."  Ah my hellcat's claws are coming out.

 

              "But supposing you were wearing it now and I got it off you..."  Michael begins

 

              "But I'm not that's the whole point of the previous conversations and you couldn't IFU..."  Zee sighs.

 

              "If I what?"  He looks puzzled.

 

              "No IFU, it's an acronym.  It means Incapacitate Find Use...all of which you couldn't do."

 

Michael still looks confused.

 

              "You couldn't incapacitate her, you couldn't find it and you couldn't use it...IFU."  Hunter explains

 

              "I could!"  He's starting to sound belligerent.

 

              "No you really couldn't, even with letting you know where it was you couldn't get it off me."  Zee sighs.  "Now can we move on from this and get on to more pleasant subjects like lunch tomorrow."

 

              "What's the matter Zee scared I'll prove you wrong?"  Michael taunts.

 

              "Michael don't be stupid.  No more booze for you."  Debs takes away his glass.  "Now go sit down over there and shut up before you make an even bigger ass out of yourself!!"

 

DEBS

 

What is it with that boy and his inability to engage his brain and then fucking speak?  If I hadn't have stepped in I think Zee would've accepted his challenge just to prove a point.

 

              "Now this is my house and after this we are no longer discussing this topic!  The rules over guns applies the same to all houses, I think that's fair and consistent.  Now the subject matter is closed.  Understand?"

 

              "The queen has spoken and we shall obey."  Emmy Lou bows down, which lightens the mood.

 

Zee has gone outside and Faal goes to follow her, but he's stopped by Jenny.

 

              "Uncle Faal, let me talk to her.  She's needs some woman to woman time." 

 

She heads outside and although we are trying not to look at them inevitably eyes start to drift, she went out there looking seriously fucked off and now she's smiling and giggling.

 

              "Uncle Faal you can go out now!"  

 

She calls as she heads back inside to join her papa.  Everyone is ignoring Michael for now.  Suddenly she bursts out laughing and he pulls her back inside, he kisses her softly and heads back to Vince and Carl.

 

              "So what did my granddaughter say to you?"  I ask.

 

              "She'd have given her entire month's pocket money to see me drop kick his ass."  She replies.

 

Mel comes over and hands her a glass of champagne.

 

              "Me too, how you held off I don't know." 

 

              "Like I said I'm a slow burn but when I get there.  And speaking of burns...did you happen to hear what Blake said to Michael?"  She asks.

 

              "Oooh hang on gossip, wait, I'm on my way!"  Ems trills

 

              "How, just how do you do that?  It's uncanny!"  Mel chuckles.

 

              "Okay out with it.  I know your superpower and he's told you so out with it."  Brian demands.

 

She grins at him and tells us what he said but it's when she gets to Captain Twink and his Mighty Ass that we burst out laughing.

 

              "Blake?  Blake said this?"  Mel is gasping.

 

              "Way to go counsellor."  Ems smiles and raises his glass in Blake's direction.

 

Brian turns to look at Justin.

 

              "He does have a point though."  He murmurs whilst eye fucking Justin's ass.

 

              "Here."  Mel whispers and hands him the keys to the Brownstone.  "Use the 3rd floor."

 

              "Thanks!" 

 

              "Go out the back way."  I whisper to him enjoying this side of Mel and deciding to help.

 

He goes over to him and whispers in his ear and within a minute they are gone.

 

              "Where's Brian?  I want to talk to him about this gun issue."  Michael demands.

 

              "There is no gun issue to discuss, now if you don't drop this you can leave now and don't bother coming tomorrow."  Carl tells him.

 

He stomps back to the sofa grabbing a glass of red on the way, but that is immediately taken off him by Drew.

 

              "Thanks."  I mouth at him.

 

              "We need food."  Hunter grumbles.

 

              "How about a last blow out take out?"  Matt suggests.

 

              "Great idea sweetheart!  What does everyone fancy?"  I call out.

 

Cuisines are called out and we eventually settle on either Tako or Butcher and the Rye and just as we are about to pick one Brian and Justin come back.

 

              "Brian where have you been?"  Lindz asks.  "I didn't see you leave." 

 

              "Oh well never mind, I'm back now what are we doing?"

 

              "Take out from either Tako or Butcher and the Rye and we're at an impasse as dad would say."

 

Hunter gets himself a gentle push for that and Michael snorts derisively.

 

              "Let's see the menus."  Justin turns the laptop towards him.

 

              "Is it raining?"  Faal asks.

 

              "Huh?"  Justin looks up and then scowls at him and swats Brian in the stomach.

 

Brian catches his hand and squeezes it, earning himself a quick smile.

 

              "Okay I vote for Tako but it's further away, but if we order now Brian and I can pick it up."

 

              "No, thanks Justin, very kind of you to offer your chauffeuring services but I'll pick it up with the help of Drew, we want the food to get here hot."

 

Carl winks at them and Jennifer snickers.

 

DEB & CARL'S SUNDAY EARLY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

I still can't believe what they did in those few days. 

 

I'm worried about Michael after his behaviour yesterday, though once everyone kept ignored him and Lindz, who finally got the insult that Zee lobbed in her direction, they spent the rest of the time together.  They were either glowering at Justin and Zee in both their cases, and Steve in Michael's case.  I'm not sure why Michael has taken against Zee, though, this is a new one.

 

Debs has been downstairs since seven this morning going through her cupboards and sniffing and muttering how they are too kind.

 

              "Red, honey, I'm not sure..."

 

              "Neither am I, but I can't not invite him, but the moment he kicks off you can kick him out agreed?"

 

              "Agreed!  Now how about some coffee?"

 

              "Yeah about that, you have any idea how to work this thing?"

 

We look at the fancy machine, then each other and burst out laughing.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

2ND MASTER BEDROOM

 

LINDZ

 

              "Michael and I were talking yesterday..."

 

              "I noticed."  Mel replies from inside the wardrobe.

 

              "He thinks that Jenny is spending a bit too much time with Zee..."

 

She straightens up and smooths down the jumper she's thinking of wearing before putting it back again.

 

              "And how would he know what time she spends with Zee, the only time he sees her is at the weekend and that's only if he's at the lunches or dinners.  But, if you two want to reduce the time she spends with her then you two will have to tell her.  Of course, someone will have to look after Jenny during the times she's not allowed to spend with Zee and of course Michael won't be able to come to the lunches or dinners because Jenny's not there and since that's a decision that you two are making you would have to work out a rota between yourselves because I won't help you make her unhappy."

 

I watch her head downstairs, no doubt to her little designer store, and just as I was about to call Michael she comes back in.

 

              "Oh one other thing.  Tell Michael when you speak to him, no doubt in the next few minutes since you two have become such Chatty Cathies, he can meet us at Debs', there's no need to come here."

 

              "But he will want to speak to Jenny before then?"

 

              "Of course he will, of course he will." 

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

              "Come my little commis, are you ready?"  I call up.

 

              "What's the rush it's only quarter to ten, we don't have to be there until eleven she said at least that's what I thought she said."

 

              "She did, but she called this morning, they are desperate for coffee and as much as they love instant..."

 

              "I told Emmy Lou to get the other machine, but he wouldn't listen.  Give me 10 minutes."

 

I chuckle and call Debs back letting her know we should be there by 1030, and asking her if she needed us to bring anything, she was about to object when I heard Carl tell her to just go with it as we would bring stuff anyway.  By the time Zee gets downstairs, I've stacked the beer Carl likes and the merlot and cab sav that Debs likes by the door.

 

              "Uh sweetheart where are you going with those?"

 

              "To Deb and Carl's obviously."

 

              "Liefling who did the shopping?"  She smiles and taps my cheek.

 

              "Of course what was I thinking?"  I mutter as I put them back.

 

By the time we get there, Emmy Lou has arrived and has shown them how to use the coffee maker and Carl is mightily relieved.  It looks like it's going to be a bright but cold day, and Zee is immediately put on table duty and enlists Drew and I to take the chairs out.  Twenty minutes later it's done and Emmy Lou is on bubbles.

 

DEB & CARL'S KITCHEN

 

DEB'S

 

              "Do you need me for anything, by which I mean can we go watch the game?"  Carl asks hopefully.

 

I wave him away and he beams at me.  Ten minutes later, Brian, Justin and Alice arrive and Brian drags Emmy Lou and Justin to the decking area to discuss the wedding arrangements with Daph, I leave the door open so I can hear and make my suggestions. 

 

              "No Milo and Lilah?"  I ask looking round.  "And where's George?" 

 

Alice rolls her eyes.

 

              "It is because of George that there is no Lilah and Milo.  The damn fool managed to lock them in the back lounge last night and it took till this morning to find them, unfortunately, they were very cold and hungry so he's charged with making it up to them.  I said to him make sure they are not in there, yes he said and of course he didn't check.  We were tearing the place all over trying to find them it was only when Brian saw a paw flash under the door that we found them."

 

I look over at Brian who is trying to persuade Justin to go with a joint stag do but is being denied firmly by Ems and Daphne.

 

              "How'd he react when he found her?"  I whisper.

 

              "Took her straight to the lounge and put her in front of the fire and same for Milo once, we persuaded him to come out, and then spent about 5 minute's googling the symptoms for hypothermia in cats."

 

She whispers back chuckling.

 

The doorbell ringing brings Jennifer, Tucker, Blake and Ted, turns out that they just arrived at the same time and they are quickly followed by Mel, Lindz and the kids.  Ben, Steve, Hunter and Matt arrive 5 minutes after that and the only person we are waiting for is Michael.

 

I take a breath and say let's get started!  We have five chickens to prepare. 

 

As well as a roast with freekah stuffing...by Emmy Lou, we are having Thai green curry...by Jenny, jerk southern fried chicken...by me and I suspect most of that is going to be used for lunch for Carl if Justin doesn't decimate it first...confit chicken pot pies...courtesy of Zee and I've never seen a chicken butchered so quickly and finally spatchcocked chicken in a lemon butter sauce...courtesy of Alice.

 

Mel comes in and offers to help and we put her on veggies, then Gus's on salad and rice and Blake comes in to help in general though he doesn't understand why we are calling him Lieutenant Burn, I explain to Ted and he grins with pride and tells him he'll explain later but to just take the salutes.

 

              "Um, where's Michael shouldn't he be here by now?"  Lindz asks.

 

It's then that I notice my phone is blinking to say I have messages, I pick it up and sigh.

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I've tried to call ma three times but she's constantly engaged and she's not picking up her mobile.  Is this punishment for my rightful concerns yesterday?  And I know I could beat Zee, she's just a little thing, and I have at least 50 pounds and 3 inches on her, her and her IFU, what a ridiculous thing to say!

 

              "Hey ma finally!  I'm at home where else would I be?  No I'm waiting for the car service.  Well nobody told me that!  You see it's yet another example of me being excluded from the most basic of conversations.  I'll grab a cab and be there as soon as I can!"

 

So there was no car service arranged for today!  I'm fuming but will take the higher ground when I get there time to call a cab, there is no way I'm driving, mind you it's at ma's so maybe I should, yeah I should drive, it's not as if she's going to have much to drink after yesterday.

 

I head to my car and spot Joshua and Carrie, I wave to them but they don't wave back, most likely didn't see me.

 

DEB & CARL'S

 

DEBS

 

I roll my eyes and send up a prayer of fortitude before heading back to the kitchen.

 

"What's up Debs?  Have you located that son of yours?"  Ems asks

 

"Yes, he's on his way now."  I reply grimly.

 

              "I think I am going to need more wine for when he gets here."  Zee mutters. 

 

I have to resist the temptation to give her a bottle and a straw.

 

 "What the hell is that beeping noise?  Damn this fucking phone!"  I snap

 

I slam it back down and it pops back off again.

 

              "Carl!  We really need to replace this phone!" 

 

              "And we will Red first thing tomorrow."  Carl mumbles eyes glued to the screen.

 

Finally, the wedding conversations with Daph are finished and Brian and Justin come back in, Justin looks very cold and is snuggled into Brian's jacket, whilst Brian's wearing it.  I hand him a coffee and he's actually trembling, he chatters his thanks.

 

              "Why didn't you guys put the heating on?"  Zee asks still crimping the pot pies.

 

              "Heating?"  Brian repeats.

 

She takes a breath and pinches her nose, leaving a mark of flour.

 

              "Um liefling!"

 

Faal comes in swigging his beer whilst trying not to watch the game.

 

              "What did I ask you to do make sure you did before we left yesterday, you know that little conversation you were supposed to have with Carl?"

 

He's still not completely looking at her and she frowns then sighs.

 

              "Faal Jabari Ugerstacht focus."

 

He immediately looks at her and blinks once and frowns.

 

              "Oh shit what did I forget to do?"  He mutters frowning

 

              "Here's a clue, look at the ice-cube formerly known as Justin..."

 

              "Shit the heating instructions!"  He claps his hand across his forehead.

 

              "Get to it now, doofus!"

 

              "Okay, Carl and Debbie, come with me, actually kids you all come too."

 

I had a feeling it would be like the coffee machine but it was nice and simple and pretty soon it was warming up nicely as was Justin, who was just being told firmly to put the thick socks on by Brian when Michael was let in by Carl.

 

              "Hello Michael."

 

              "Carl."

 

              "Mother."

 

              "Michael you're here have some coffee or juice or something."  I suggest.

 

He takes the suggestion and grabs a bottle and pours himself a hefty glass.

 

              "Hi dad, you okay, uh where have you been anyway?"  Jenny asks carefully stirring the pot of stock.

 

              "Waiting for the car service..."

 

I immediately see Zee tense up and Mel moves to her side.

 

              "Oh yours didn't..."  Lindz begins

 

              "Momma why would there be a car service for us, we're less than 20 minutes' walk away, it would've been a waste of time and the walk worked up an appetite and walking home will burn off all this delicious food...time to turn the chicken.  Besides, the only people who needed a car service to get here are Uncle Brian, Uncle Justin, Aunt Zee and Uncle Faal since they're out of town.  So how did you get here dad?"  Jenny asks.

 

              "I drove of course honey...I mean sweet...Jenny."

 

She looks up at him and then takes his glass away.

 

              "Well if you drove you can't drink.  Only juice or water for dad everyone!"  Jenny calls out.  "Here Aunt Zee, bottoms up.  And dad I have thought of the perfect housewarming present from you to grandma and grandpa.  You can get them a new house phone!"

 

JENNY

 

I hand Aunt Zee dad's glass and wink at her, she winks back.  Before she left Aunt Daph made me promise to keep Aunt Zee out of jail until after the wedding and I fully intend to do that! 

 

              "Well done Jenny that was very responsible of you."  Mom praises me earning a scowl from dad.

 

              "Thanks mom.  Oh grandpa can you give me a hand please?"  I call out.

 

              "Of course honey, what do you need me to do?"

 

              "Now this might take a while is there a break in the game?" 

 

He chuckles and gives me a squeeze.

 

              "Come on what do you need me to do?"

 

              "Taste this, I'm in charge of the curry and I don't want to make it too spicy."

 

Grandpa tastes it and nods approvingly.

 

              "Perfect honey just perfect, now you just need to add the chicken, put it on the back burner on low and it will be done in no time.  Well done sweetheart."

 

              "Hey no fair I'm the official taster for these lunches." 

 

Uncle Justin comes in wearing not only grandpa's socks but his thick-when-I'm-sick cardigan but he still looks cold and he's wincing.

 

              "Of course how could I forget, here Uncle Justin have a bowl of the broth that might warm you up a bit."

 

He takes it gratefully and makes his way back to Uncle Brian, who makes sure he eats most of it.

 

              "Okay anyone that is not in charge of a dish, who has completed their dish and those who are just plain sulking get out of my kitchen and either go into the lounge or the decking area."  Grandma calls out.

 

Soon it is just me, grandma, Aunt Zee and Aunt Alice in the kitchen and for now all is good in my world.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin is now tucked under my chin had started to doze off, he got really cold out there and I'm worrying about his hand as it doesn't do well when he's too cold and I think I can see it starting to curl...fuck!  Yep he's starting to whimper.

 

              "Gus, Gus, go ask grandma for a hot water bottle now quickly!"

 

              "What's going on is it his hand?"  Tucker asks.

 

I nod grimly, Debs shouts out that the kettle is boiling and it won't be long. 

 

              "Hurts Brian, hurts so much."  He mumbles trying not to cry.

 

              "Excuse me, move please!"  Faal orders.  "Neuken!  Justin give me your hand..."

 

He looks at me through tear filled eyes and I nod, I watch as gently Faal wraps a cool tea towel round his hand and starts to press his fingers out and Justin hisses and curses, trying to pull his hand away but Faal won't let him.

 

              "I'm sorry my friend I'm sorry."  He whispers.  "Zee haast!"

 

Zee kneels next to him with a bowl of steaming water and about 4 tea towels submerged in it.

 

              "Haast liefling haast."

 

Wincing she wrings one out and wraps it exactly round the previous towel and pulls and Faal gently manipulates his fingers and hand.

 

              "Debs the hot water bottle.  Justin where on your shoulder does it hurt?"  Faal asks

 

              "The tendon...ouch!  Collar...ow fuck!  Spasming."

 

              "Okay Debs, get another cloth, put it on his shoulder and hold the bottle there just rock it gently okay?"

 

Debs nods at Faal's instructions as Zee tests the cloth.

 

              "Swap." 

 

For 15 minutes, Zee, Faal and Debs work to relax the muscles in his arm, whilst I feel so helpless, but finally, he gives us a smile.

 

              "So much better."  He sighs burrowing into my neck.  "Thank you for holding me."  He whispers

 

              "Okay now try and move your fingers, Brian does that look okay, I wouldn't..."

 

I just nod because I can't actually speak, I can massage it when it gets tired but the only thing for when it gets too cold is to warm him up but generally he's in agony before then. 

 

But now he's moving his fingers quite easily and not wincing.

 

              "How did you know to do that?"  Jennifer asks him.

 

              "My uncle sometimes got a frozen shoulder, his arm would lock out.  It happened one day when my aunt wasn't there and I didn't know how to help so I made sure she showed me for when she wasn't around.  I thought it might work."

 

              "Haast?  You said haast what does it mean?"  Emmy Lou asks.

 

              "Hurry.  It's Dutch." 

 

              "Right.  Grandpa can I borrow your laptop please?  Uncle Faal can you type down exactly what you did and send it to us?"  Gus asks.

 

Zee smiles at Gus and heads back to the kitchen, she says something to Debs who sends Jenny upstairs, and two minutes later she's back with another hot water bottle, this time fur covered, they all come back into the lounge.

 

              "Why Carl I didn't know you had such exotic taste!"  Tucker teases him.

 

It was just what was needed to break the tension.

 

MICHAEL

 

Oh poor little Boy Wonder got a widdle cramp, talk about drama queen. 

 

              "Something smells like its burning!"  I call out.

 

Ma and Alice come in and check the ovens and burners and Carl and Tucker check outside but of course find nothing amiss.

 

              "Debs how long until lunch?"  Brian calls out.

 

              "Um, about another hour or so why?"

 

              "I think Justin could do with a nap."  He calls back.

 

              "Is that a euphemism Brian?"  I call back.

 

              "You guys go on up honey, we'll call you in an hour."  Ma calls back and glowers at me

 

I chuckle into my juice but before I could pour another one it is snatched away from me and I'm propelled outside.

 

              "Listen you uncaring fuck!  Do you have any idea how much agony he was in!  How much it kills them to watch him like that!  You ever, and I mean ever, make a crack like that and I get to hear about it I will make it my life's mission for you to know what that feel likes, understand!  Do you fucking understand me?!" 

 

              "Tucker!  Stop he's not worth it, he doesn't care, unless it is about himself, Brian or collectibles he doesn't care.  Now come inside and wash your hands before you touch anything else." 

 

Jennifer holds the door open for him and they go inside.  I wince and rub my arm where he gripped me.  It doesn't look like anybody else saw it so I just go back inside, grab my drink and go to talk to Lindz.

 

JUSTIN

 

I don't know how long I was asleep but I when I wake up I look round for Brian but he's not here, putting the cardigan back on I pad downstairs.

 

              "Hey Justin, how you feeling?"  Mel asks.

 

              "Much better, thanks, have you guys eaten?"

 

              "No we were waiting for you."  Debs tells me.

 

The house smells wonderful, of chicken and sweet spices.  I pad towards the kitchen and spot Brian, laughing and drinking wine at the table outside.  As soon as he sees me he beams.

 

              "Sunshine!  Want to sit out here, will it be warm enough for you?"

 

I take off Carl's cardigan and hand it to Brian at first he looks confused but then he slips it on and then pulls me into his lap.

 

              "Yes, it's warm enough now.  So can we eat?"  I ask.

 

Within minutes food is brought out and everyone starts to eat.

 

              "Want your own plate or want to share mine?"  Brian asks

 

              "Share please; can we have some of the curry and take some of the rest home, except for the lemon chicken as we get that whenever we like."

 

              "You can have whatever you like."  He breathes into my ear.

 

              "Stacks on deck.  Patron on Ice.  We can pop bottles all night.  Baby you can have whatever you like.  I said you can have whatever you like yeah...!"  Matt warbles.

 

              "Okay enough wine for you!"  Hunter chuckles and takes away his glass.

 

              "Isn't that T.I?"  Faal asks.

 

              "Partly and it is a private thing of which neither of us shall speak."  Hunter asserts and Matt nods

 

              "Oh is that your knock boots song!"  Faal cries out.

 

              "No it isn't!  Mom make him stop!"  Matt leans across to cover Faal's mouth.

 

              "You want to know the rest of the lyrics...if you google..."

 

              "Dirlo e non dovrete mai più Breitling."  Zee says and locks eyes with him, the table goes quiet.

 

              "Sul serio?"  She nods and he raises his glass.  "I'm sorry I went too far my apologies."

 

              "Wait was that Italian?  How many languages do you speak and what did you say?"  Drew asks.

 

              "Apart from native, 3 each.  I told him that if he doesn't shut up there would be no Brietling anymore and I'm serious."

 

Matt throws grateful smile at his mom and a roll at his dad.

 

              "Oh.  Oh.  Now kiddies, well tweenies we have a little tasklet for you?  Which your Aunt Zee doesn't know about but I'm sure she will agree is fabulous!"

 

We all look confused.

 

              "You get to name us!"

 

              "Name you?"  Hunter repeats.

 

              "Yes, name us, our catering company we don't have a name and we want it to come from one of you or a combo of you, well now that I've told her and you at the same time..."

 

              "Emmy Lou they've got it and I think it's an excellent idea."  Zee says putting a halt to his rambling.

 

              "How long have we got?"  Jenny asks excitedly.

 

              "Well the launch party is not until next Friday so Tuesday before so we can get the sign sorted out."

 

              "May we leave the table we have to brainstorm?"  Jenny asks

 

Carl nods and within seconds they were off to the lounge and within 5 minutes they are back.

 

              "We've decided that since you two are fabulous..."  Jenny starts

 

              "And the food's a delight."  Hunter grins

 

              "And you both live in a house."  Matt continues shaking his head ruefully.

 

              "That you should call yourself Em & Zee's House of Delights."  Gus finishes off.

 

              "Okay the rhyming is a little off but what do you think?"  Hunter asks worriedly.

 

For a few seconds there is silence before Zee and Emmy Lou start to smile.

 

              "Perfect, just perfect!"  Emmy Lou cries clapping his hands.

 

              "How is the Em and the Zee going to be?  Ooh I rhymed."  Faal chortles.

 

              "As spelt I guess unless it's capital M and capital Z?"  She replies looking at Emmy Lou

 

              "No as spelt I think is best."  Emmy Lou replies.  "Now about the launch party..." 

 

              "I'll handle that."

 

They all turn to look at Brian in surprise.  But I just beam at him and kiss his neck.

 

              "And I can do something for you signage wise.  The Fienman Gallery in right at the end of Liberty Avenue and the test kitchens are round the corner right?"

 

              "Yes baby it is."

 

              "How about you get a block signage to connect the two in the middle of the gallery and the first kitchen.  And then on what used to be the Fienman Gallery the sign says E&ZHoD...We Show and then round the corner it says something like..."

 

              "E&ZHoD...You Taste!"  Mel squeals.  "Oh sorry I just got..."

 

              "Our signs sorted!"  Zee gets up and kisses her firmly on the cheek causing her to blush.

 

I notice the look of fury that passes across Lindz's face and snort into Brian's neck.

 

              "You saw it too?  Seems what's good for the goose is not good for the uh other goose."  He whispers.

 

              "Right who's for dessert?"  Debs calls out.  "Its filo wrapped apples with custard."

 

              "Red when the heck did you do that?"  Carl demands.  "I don't want you over working yourself."

 

              "Uh Carl its okay she didn't, I did."  Mom tells him.

 

A chorus of ‘me' and hands going up has mom, Debs and Alice heading into the kitchen.

 

EMS

 

Oh my poor baby.  When his hand started to hurt and I saw the curl I wanted to cry and Drewsie almost had to send me upstairs.

 

              "Now baby are you sure, I don't want you to over exert yourself?"

 

              "Emmy Lou I'll be fine, I just do the design the signage company will do the rest."

 

              "When you're done can you send it over, I was thinking of doing some coasters, or glasses and maybe those what do you call them...tombstones..."

 

              "Uh tombstones?  Isn't that a little morbid?"  Lindz asks and for once I'm inclined to agree with her.

 

She shakes her head.

 

              "No not as in death.  You get them when you've been awarded something or reached a milestone, I could've sworn they were called tombstones..."

 

              "Yep, I know what you are talking about they are generally made out of Lucite..."  Brian tells her.

 

              "Thems the babies.  But out of glass, but that would take at least four days to set.  Nope glasses it is...our logo in the bottom and in our colours of course!" 

 

              "Colours?  You guys have colours?"  Ben asks. 

 

              "Evidently we do."  This is news to me.  "And, what colours are they sweetie?"

 

              "Ovens Emmy Lou our ovens."  She chirrups as if this makes perfect sense.

 

              "Debs, I think that Zee needs coffee!"  Lindz trills out smirking.

 

       "Lindsay.  I'm excited not hammered, stop being a buzzkill."  She glares at her until Lindsay looks away.  "As I was saying, our ovens Emmy Lou, yours is orange and mine is purple...how about we graduate the colours in opposite directions...so that Em goes purple to orange and Zee goes orange to purple, here let me show you..."

 

       "Oh my God I love it!  But what about the rest of the colours, black will be too harsh I think..."

 

       "True, let me think on that.  But maybe the background burnt silver..."

 

       "Burnt silver?  Oooh you mean like oh what's it called, begins with ‘m', mar...mac...marcasite!"  Blake yells out.   "This colour is that what you were thinking of?  And maybe have nearly black, is that a colour, as the outline for the lettering?"

 

Debs, Jennifer and Alice come out with the puddings...when it's catering they are dessert, when it's family they are pudding...and when she sees Justin shiver a little she closes the blinds and cranks up the heating.

 

              "Thanks ma."  Brian mutters quietly.

 

              "Right so where are we?"  Debs asks.

 

              "We've got advertising from Brian..."

 

              "Brian remember the last event you staged for one of us and how that turned out?"  Michael snarks

 

              "Yes, it turned out to be a big fat success after all I'm marrying him."  Brian replies tightly.

 

 "As I was saying...design logo to come from Justin, signage colours from Blake, signage wording from Justin and Mel and soon to be glass from Zee..."

 

              "And the kids."  Zee adds.

 

              "What?  What do you mean?  Do you mean...?"  Gus gasps.

 

              "Well you came up with it and four hands and mouths are quicker than one, and Matt you said you've always wanted to learn so what do you say?"

 

              "I say yes to both Hunter and Jenny."  Ben says

 

              "I say yes to both Gus and Jenny."  Mel says.

 

              "I say yes to both Gus and Jenny."  Lindz says

 

Which I think was more in reaction to the buzzkill comment than anything else.

 

              "So that's agreed then.  You kids come over from 1000 on Saturday and she shows you what to do.  Actually, why don't we have just the kids on Saturday night, give the grown-ups some alone time and then lunch on Sunday?"  Faal suggests

 

              "Great idea, so that's that settled."  Papa bear decrees.

 

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Michael simmering and about to speak.

 

              "So how's the refurb going?"  Steve asks effectively cutting him off.  "Is everything ordered?"

 

              "Oh everything is ordered, it's just that everything is not being delivered to where it should be." 

 

              "Now Zee, there's no..."

 

              "Emmy Lou, did I or did I not bookmark it first?  And is it or is it not the last one in stock for the next three weeks?   And is it or is not being delivered to YOUR house to go in YOUR bedroom instead of wherever I was going to put it because you had Drew distract me whilst you changed the delivery address?" 

 

              "But Drewsie is paying for the refurb."

 

              "For the business, not to decorate your home with a chaise lounge that I saw first!"  Zee snorts indignantly.

 

              "Ah the infamous chaise lounge, they went almost three hours without speaking when that happened.   Zee was pissed."  Faal snickers.

 

She gets up and stalks to the lounge and then comes back with her iPad.

 

              "I'd forgotten you've not seen it..."

 

              "Now Faal let me..."

 

              "That is gorgeous, what is the material is it suede?  It's nice and wide enough for snuggling and comes in...oh Emmy Lou how could you?"

 

              "What?  Show me this thing."  Brian demands taking the iPad off her.  "It can't be that..."

 

              "Which colour?"  Justin asks.

 

              "Burgundy definitely burgundy and maybe the dark green cushions, oh there's a footstool and an armchair and..."

 

              "And that's enough for now."  Brian chides him sweetly.

 

              "Excuse me can I see this chaise please?"  Debs calls out.

 

              "Now Debs you're my friend..."

 

              "The duck egg blue right?"  She cackles.

 

I nod and hang my head in shame.

 

              "But as punishment for his sneakiness, I‘ve delayed the delivery until Zee gets hers."  Drew grins

 

              "Drewsie!"

 

              "You were sneaky, you pay the price, and it's only fair right?"

 

              "Oh alright!"  I grouse.

 

Everyone laughs at my pout but it is gorgeous and will be well worth the wait.

 

CARL

 

"Okay kids, you're on clear up, the rest of us I think should move inside."

 

I had caught the quick glances Red was giving Justin when she thought nobody was looking.  Once we were all back inside and the decking door closed, I hear Debs sigh at the stack of dishes and start to roll up her sleeves.

 

              "Uh Red what are you doing?"  I call out from the lounge.

 

              "Doing the glasses, I'm not putting them in the dishwasher."

 

 She shouts back but there's something in her voice.

 

              "Ah I see.  Oh wait there's another one here." 

 

              "I can take it grandpa."  Gus offers.

 

              "No it's okay I've got it."

 

Jennifer and Alice are scraping plates and chattering away, as I put down the glass I give her a quick squeeze

 

              "3rd from the left."  I whisper

 

              "Thanks honey."  She whispers back.

 

I head back to my, as Jenny now calls it, throne and watch my queen bustle round her castle with a big smile on her face.

 

              "Dammit this phone is getting on my nerves, first thing tomorrow Carl we..."

 

              "No grandma, remember dad's getting you a new phone.  Why don't we have a look at some now and maybe we can click and collect if we're lucky?"  Jenny reminds her.

 

Everyone turns to look at Michael who is on his phone, so wasn't listening

 

              "Dad? What are you looking at?  Oh no, no dad absolutely not, you're getting the phone first, toys after now come and look!  This is your contribution remember?"

 

She takes the phone out of his hands and pulls him to the laptop and I don't know where to look apart from at the ground.  Because if I look at anyone else I will laugh and I'm pretty sure they will too, when my granddaughter gets determined everyone move out of the way!

 

              "Red come sit down you've done enough today.  Leave the glasses come on."  I call out

 

She looks to be fighting it.

 

              "Besides you can't let me have the final say on our phone..."

 

              "Good point, scooch over Jenny, I'm coming!"

 

After scrolling through pages and pages, she decides on a nice digital one but not one that goes on the wall.  But then there's a debate as to where to put it and what to do about the gap that's going to be created by taking down the old one, we said we'd figure out the former and Zee would send Baz or one of his boys back in to cover up the latter.

 

              "Right those glasses aren't going to polish themselves."  Red declares starting to get up.

 

              "And you're not doing them either.  I'll do them, Mel want to give me a hand and maybe we do some coffee?"  Ben suggests.

 

              "A great idea.  Let me show..."

 

              "Red I will handcuff you to the seat."

 

              "Kinky papa bear, kinky!"  Brian snorts and gets a smack in the chest from Justin.

 

BEN

 

I guffaw at that image and lead a giggling Mel to the kitchen.  We are both brought up short when we see the coffee machine.

 

              "Any ideas?"  I look at her and she shakes her head.

 

              "Emmy Lou to the rescue!"  He trills

 

              "Seriously Emmy Lou we are not getting one for the business!"  Zee tells him firmly

 

He pokes his tongue out and comes in the kitchen and in minutes the scent of coffee fills the air.  And of course Emmy Lou being who he is starts to help us and in no time the glasses are done, the kitchen is swept and coffee tray set up.  And we are leaning against the counters waiting for it to perk.

 

              "I have to say I'm a little upset." 

 

We are startled by this having been standing in happy silence.

 

              "What's up Emmy Lou?"  Mel asks.

 

              "Glassblowing, I would love to have a go at that.   Oh that reminds me, Jennifer!"

 

Just as he goes out Michel comes in and I mutter.

 

              "Here we go."

 

He's been brooding all day and it seems now is the time for him to have his brat attack.

 

              "Well thanks for including me in the decision about the glassblowing and her weekending with Zee."

 

              "How have we excluded you Michael, you were right there when the decision was made."  Mel sighs.

 

              "I didn't even get a chance to say anything."

 

              "Why would you have said no?"  I ask.

 

              "Well no but that not the point!"  He whispers harshly.  "I have the right to decide what goes on with my daughter, who she sees, where she stays..."

 

              "And you want to exercise that right do you?"  Mel demands

 

              "Yes!"

 

              "Fine, then after Thursday when your support payment comes you can do that!"  Mel snaps.  "But in the meantime, coffee's done."

 

And she stalks out with the mugs, as I pour the coffee into the carafes, I start to follow.

 

              "Oh and one more thing, if you think nobody saw what Tucker did, you're wrong, but luckily for you Zee and Faal didn't."  I tell him.  "However, for the "event comment" you get a strike one for Portland.  Remember Michael, its three strikes and you're out."

 

I can feel his eyes boring into my back but I don't care.