Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 20 - KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE UP AGAINST...PART ONE

 

TREEHOUSE - MID AFTERNOON

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

FAAL

 

              "Vintage champagne and a massage.  So this shopping is bad...we talking cash, credit or we had to call the bank?  Um a little to the left please."

 

She tries for indignant snort but fails miserably.

 

              "It's not bad it has a reason, just need to pretty bow it for a certain someone, and I had to call the bank as I needed to pay fast but used the tax write off."

 

              "Does it fly?"

 

              "No."

 

              "Good, we don't need another helicopter or plane."

 

              "Shut up!  But there is one more bit to be claimed though."

 

              "Okay.  What time are we supposed to be there?"

 

              "Um, I think seven."

 

              "This is not going to be pretty."  I sigh.

 

              "Nope."

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally, Carrie has left it's time to speak to Joshua.

 

              "Michael, for the second time, what on earth are you doing here?"

 

              "I came to offer my apologies for my behaviour in the park, but I interrupted you and Charles.  Anyway, I apologise for it, it was crass of me to behave like that."

 

              "Um okay then.  Was there anything else?"

 

              "No, I just wanted to say that and I hope that you and Charles had a nice evening.  See you later."

 

I head back to my car and drive to the diner with a smile on my face. 

 

SHADYSIDE

 

JOSHUA

 

Oh my God!  Surely not...seriously that man should not be let out unsupervised, the hamster in seems to have got off the wheel and now the moron is in charge!

 

              "Charles, its Joshua, look the idiot that is Michael was here again earlier, he mentioned interrupting us after he apologised for his behaviour last year and he had that smile again.  I have a feeling this idiot thinks we are having an affair!"

 

DINER

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Here he is!  The ass kicker of bad mothers everywhere!"  Ma calls out.

 

              "Ma!  Come on stop that!"

 

I sit in her section and smile behind the menu. 

 

              "So what'll it be?"  Kiki asks.

 

I'm surprised as I expected to be served by ma.

 

              "Um, I'll wait for ma."

 

              "Sorry Michael, have to go, see you later!" 

 

And with that she's out the door, I quickly catch her up.

 

              "Where are you going?"

 

              "Where'd you think?  I'm going home."

 

              "Well at least let me give you a lift then?"

 

She shakes her head and keeps walking, I fall into step with her.

 

              "So what's new with you?"  She asks.

 

I sigh.

 

              "Well, I've got a bit of a problem with Mel, Lindz and Ben..."

 

              "Oh?"

 

              "Yeah with the tax bill coming, we've agreed that I should reduce my payments for support for Jenny, but in doing so I don't get as much a say in her life.  I don't think that's fair, it's not as if I'm not going to go back to paying the support..."

 

              "I see.  Look I'm not promising anything but..."

 

              "Thanks ma, I knew I could rely on you, I'll let you know how much I need.  Now I've gotta go!"

 

I kiss her on the cheek and run back to my car grinning from ear to ear.

 

OUTSIDE FIENMAN GALLERY

 

EMMY LOU

 

Drew, Zee, Faal and I are currently staring at the slightly charred Fienman Gallery, she's smiling the rest of us are confused.

 

              "Um Zee honey, what are we doing here?  On this for damn fuck of a cold day?"

 

              "What do you think?"  She indicates the building and waves her arm up and down the street.

 

              "Not sure what I'm supposed to think, can you tell explain to me like I'm a five year old and preferably in a nice warm place?"

 

She grins and pulls out a key and let's herself into the building next door.

 

              "Okay.  I've bought them, all three of these buildings..."

 

She cocks an eyebrow at Faal and he grins.

 

              "Oh this is perfect, don't you think so Drew?!"  Faal exclaims

 

              "I'll reserve judgement for now, especially for next door."  He replies but he's smiling too.

 

              "Seriously, 5 year old language please!"

 

              "The Gallery is slap bang between the art district and the end of Liberty Avenue, the art district leads to the sprawl that is the cultural district with its theatres etc.  These two units used to be cafés, it was one café at one point but they split it into two but that wall can be knocked through and it could be the test kitchen from heaven.  The Gallery will be cleaned up and instead of showcasing pretty pictures and paintings, it would show case the food, the venues you've been in, the process of set up and maybe demo the run through with waiters or whatever you think, but definitely a tasting table in the test kitchen."

 

              "And how long would it take?"  Drew asks.

 

              "Nothing speeds up reno faster than green...if we get my boys in we could have it done in 2-3 weeks tops.  There's no need to go through change of usage as it's all already there, we just need the approval of one person..." 

 

She turns to me and bites her lip.

 

              "Look I know I've kinda leapt in with this but it was a chance that I couldn't resist and it's only for the..."

 

              "Please be quiet."  I tell her.

 

              "Ems..."

 

              "Drew please!" 

 

They watch as I pace about muttering to myself, before I turn to her.

 

              "You are a fucking genius lady!  And more importantly, I get my lower kitchen back to use for its proper purpose, feeding my Drewsie!  So yes, yes and a million times yes!"

 

              "Oh thank fuck!  The boys will strip it right back and repaint or leave it brick and gloss it like the comic book store idea Matt had.  And you Emmy Lou get to do the fixtures and fittings...only fair don't you think?"

 

              "How much we talking here?"  Drew asks.

 

              "All three buildings plus reno would be just under one..."  She replies smiling her sunshine smile.

 

              "Well Ems there's your budget baby.  Happy shopping."

 

I leap into his arms and cover his face with kisses.

 

              "And happy christening boys!"  Faal cries out and pulls her out giggling.

 

CHASE, HAROLD & DRAPER - EARLY EVENING

 

MEL

 

              "Hi, it's me, I know this is short notice but I have a client dinner tonight, unfortunately, Harry can't make it and I have to cover.  No, no, its fine it's without partners of partners, so you enjoy the opening, the kids will be fine I'm sure.  I'll see you later.

 

I sit back in my chair and sigh, knowing that this evening is not going to be pretty at all.

 

              "Hey baby, I'm fine good day at school? Look I'm going to be late tonight, so make sure you do your homework and be in bed by nine same for Gus.  Speaking of Gus, how's he doing?  Thanks baby, now remember latest nine.  Love you and tell Gus the same."

 

Right let's go!

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

              "Do you want a drink Josh?"

 

              "No, I'm fine.  Who else is expected tonight?"

 

              "Apart from Mel.  Faal and Zee, some dear friends of ours, they've agreed to witness anything that needs to be witnessed."  Justin tells him quietly.

 

Joshua nods and we all jump when the doorbell goes heralding the arrival of all three, I can feel the sweat starting to collect in my palms.

 

              "Okay let's get this show on the road.  Starting with the life insurance policy..."

 

After two hours we can't find anything and we are beginning to get frustrated.

 

              "We are fucking missing something I can feel it!"  Mel is pacing.

 

              "Look why don't you guys take a step back for a bit and get something to eat?"  Faal suggests.

 

I nod and follow him to the kitchen indicating that Joshua and Mel should follow, twenty minutes later we are a lot calmer and ready to start again and still we can find nothing different.

 

              "Fucking shit!  There must be something!"  Justin flings the paperwork across the table.

 

              "Justin we are all frustrated but throwing things about isn't helpful."  I tell him.

 

              "Sorry but it's just..."  He sighs squeezing my hand.

 

              "For crying out loud we are all highly educated people!"  Faal growls pacing.

 

              "Wait what about the Emily angle is there anything there?"  Justin tries.

 

              "Who's Emily and what angle?"  Joshua asks confused.

 

We quickly bring him up to speed.

 

              "Unless there's correspondence about it then no."

 

              "Nothing property wise, she's attached to?  No, okay then.  Really reaching, can Gus ask for Brian's rights to be restored?"   Zee throws up her hands in frustration.

 

              "Not until he's 16 and a half no.  I've brought my copy with me, I didn't think we would need to go through it because it's doesn't come into effect until February, let's go through that I guess."

 

              "Uh Mel, what the fuck are you talking about?"  I ask taking deep breaths.

 

              "Gus's parental rights letter.  I drew it up after his 15th birthday and Lindz sent you your copy.   She told us just before we moved over that she would discuss it with you and not to push things, as it's not as if you're not in his life...what? 

 

She looks up when she realises how quiet it has gone.

 

              "Again what the fuck are you talking about?"  I growl.

 

              "This it gives Gus special permission to go before a judge and ask...you don't have a copy of it do you?"

 

              "No."  I reply flatly.  "No I don't."

 

              "Why would she do such a thing?"  Zee exclaims.

 

              "Because she can.  As long as she has Gus she has the power, with your parental rights restored she loses that!  And we'd have to stop paying her support!  Oh that...that!"

 

 Justin is waving his arms about he's so furious

 

              "We?  You mean you pay support for Gus as well?"  Mel is incredulous

 

              "Well of course I do!  I consider him my son too...you didn't know?"  Justin whispers.

 

Mel shakes her head in dismay.

 

              "You've never checked the bank account or anything?" 

 

              "It's in her name as primary parent so I've had no right to, I trusted her completely.  Besides she would've let me know if you missed a payment believe me..."

 

              "Can you get access to it?"  Faal asks gently.

 

              "No, not without her wanting to know why after all these years."

 

              "Okay so we've found it, now what do we do about it?"  Joshua asks.

 

              "What's Emily's surname?  Right thanks.  Brian, let me into your study and boot up your pc and give me an hour."  Zee demands.

 

He leads her to the study and is back in five minutes.

 

              "Faal what's..." 

 

He shakes his head at me but has a small smile playing on his lips.

 

              "Psseblief God laat hierdie werk."  He mutters

 

              "Can you promise me, faithfully that I can see him whenever I can?" 

 

We all look at Mel who has tears in her eyes but looks determined.

 

              "I would never keep you away from Gus, you brought him home.  I'm confused, why are you asking me this?"

 

              "Okay then, I'll relinquish my parental rights, which will automatically restore yours and gives Justin a clear path to adopt Gus, I'll start legal proceedings to get our whateverthefuck this is dissolved, terminated whatever and go live my life happy eventually!"

 

              "What?!"  We all shout at her.

 

              "No listen, just listen.  I'm done with her consider it an early wedding present.  It will take a couple of months to sort out the paperwork..."

 

              "Actually it will be the perfectly timed wedding present, we're getting married end of March."

 

Justin is sniffling.

 

              "Come on guys we've found it, we know what we are fighting against!  Oh this will lighten the mood!  We had Michael and Ben over last night and Michael wants to defer his support payments in light of his tax bill, until after the results of the appeal.  So I said that this was absolutely fine not a problem but he gets no say in the decisions about Jenny...no support no input to say he was pissed was an understatement and then when he found out that Hunter has keys to all the homes I thought his head would explode!"

 

We chuckle quietly each trying to not look at the locked door, finally she comes out, speaking on her mobile.

 

              "Yeah I've cleared the trail but need to you sort the back end.  IP 254468729.  Cheers doll."

 

She picks up a cup of coffee and ambles round the room and ends up next to Joshua.

 

              "Speaking of support you'd still have to pay that for Gus right?  And Mel, you'll still have her in your life because of Jenny, so you won't be totally rid of her."  Zee points out.  "Oops can you, not you, can you get that for me I have my hands full."

 

Joshua reaches down and picks up the piece of paper and then smiles.

 

              "Not necessarily.  Let me do a bit of digging and get back to you."  Joshua says smiling wider

 

              "You've got what Jenny calls your lawyer smile; what going on?  Zee what's happening?"  Mel asks.

 

DEB & CARL'S - FRIDAY MORNING

 

I know he's going to go ballistic but this is going to impact my granddaughter. 

 

              "Carl?  Before you bust a vessel just hear me out."

 

He puts his fork down and nods.

 

              "Michael came to me yesterday and explained the situation with the tax and he's having to reduce his support payments to Jenny so he can save money until the appeal is heard and if it doesn't go his way then..."

 

              "We are still not raiding our retirement fund to help him.  Debs, hear me out.  You have got to stop coddling Michael, you can't keep coming to his rescue every damn time.  You told him yourself that the only person who wants those toys is him so in the long term he's the only one to benefit from them.  So let him sell them, surely they are more important than his daughter right?  But we can offer a solution to the support problem..."

 

              "We can, how?"

 

              "Pay the difference between what he's paying now and what he should, which means she doesn't miss out."

 

              "Oh Carl you genius, let me call Ben right now!"

 

I kiss the top of his head and grab my phone.

 

              "Hey Ben its Deb.  How you doing honey?  Good to hear.  Listen have been talking to Michael and to Carl and we're thinking of paying the difference between what Michael has reduced his support payments to and what it should be so how much is it.  Wow, so how much was he paying before?  Oh, I see I must have misunderstood him, thanks Ben, yeah see you Sunday."

 

              "Well how much is it?"

 

              "Nothing."  I reply.

 

              "He was paying nothing?"  Carl frowns.

 

              "No he's paying nothing from this point onwards...and neither are we."

 

              "We're not?"

 

              "No Carl we're not."

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

FAAL

 

              "So how's the reno doing?"

 

Silence.

 

              "Yeah I've decided to follow my heart and become an elephant circumcision expert, I start Friday..."

 

This gets her attention and she gives me a small smile.

 

              "What is it?"

 

              "How can you be so cruel to someone you purport to love?"

 

              "I don't know, but Brian has..."

 

              "Not just him, but Mel and Gus, especially them, lying by omission is still lying.  And then there's Michael and his constant attempts to get out of responsibility but into..."

 

Her rant is curtailed by her phone going.

 

              "Hey Joshua, how you doing?  Any news?  Okay no problem, we've got time.  No the reason for the call is that we'd like to invite you and your family to lunch on Sunday, yeah tomorrow if that's not too much problem.  It's just going to be the family.  You will great that's great.  Okay, no don't drive we can send a service for you.  No problem.  Bye."

 

              "So we've swapped weekends back again?" 

 

              "Mmm.  And I want to help Mel too."

 

              "I know my lig I know, I'll support you 100% and of course will arrange a clean-up unit once you're done with them."

 

              "You say the sweetest things."

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

I flop on my back heaving air back into my lungs and wince slightly at my stinging ass cheeks.  Justin is splayed out covered in sweat and cum but has a goofy grin on his face.

 

              "I seriously don't think I can come again for the rest of the month!  That has got to rank in the top 5 fucks of all time."  He gasps.

 

I roll over onto my side and lazily run my tongue across his nipples and start to gently stroke his cock.

 

              "Oh, oh!  Oh uh, Brian!  Oh!  Unnngh!"  He yelps as I disprove that theory.

 

              "You were saying?" 

 

              "Nothing not a damn thing."  He mutters curling into my chest

 

              "Come on we need to have a shower, we can't sleep like this in this."

 

He shakes his head and tightens his holding mumbling sleepily.

 

              "If we go to sleep now then..."

 

              "Then?  Then what?"

 

I smile at my beautiful fiancé as he quickly succumbs to sleep and join him, my last thoughts are Alice is not going to be happy.

 

FIENMAN GALLERY RENO

 

EMMY LOU

 

Jesus Zee was not kidding!  Only a day ago this place looked like a burnt out shack, now it been cleared and you can hardly smell the smoke now. 

 

              "Hi Mr Honeycutt!"  Baz one of the reno boys calls out.  "Watch where your stepping there sir!"

 

I look down and grin my thanks for him saving my boots.

 

              "Hi Baz, thank you!  I just wanted to see how it was going, you boys are working a miracle here!  Can I go next door?" 

 

              "Of course sir..."

 

              "Please call me Emmett, this sir and mister stuff makes me feel old!"

 

              "Okay uh Emmett, this way."

 

To my surprise he leads me through to a hole between the gallery and what will be our test kitchen.  I catch my breath, the space is huge and they have taken it down to the brickwork and lacquered it already.

 

              "How did..."

 

              "Like Zee says, nothing gets a reno done faster than green.  Besides she's a good lady and fair, pays well and with the day and night teams working it should be done by next week..."

 

              "Next week as in the entire space will be ready for furniture etc by next week!"  I squeal

 

              "Yep, we've got the inspectors coming next Wednesday, which is our hard stop and then we just do any snagging that needs to be done and then it's all yours.  I have to say it's going to look spectacular."

 

              "Yes, yes it will."  I sigh.

 

              "Well she doesn't pay me to chit chat, you gonna be okay in here planning your kitchen?"

 

I nod and smile at his retreating back and have a thought, we have to have a launch party! 

 

SHADYSIDE

 

JOSHUA

 

              "Hey Mel it's Josh, we need to get a statement from Emily and Brian, can you arrange for her to come to my office as soon as possible?  Great.  I'll sort out Brian."

 

I have to say that what Zee's found, however she's found it, is gold dust, absolute gold fucking dust!

 

              "Brian it's Joshua, I need you to come to my office or me to come to Britin as soon as possible."