Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 2 - LET THE BUZZING BEGIN

 

TUESDAY LATE MORNING

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN

 

              "Cynthia can you come to my office please?"

 

              "Sure Brian give me two secs?"

 

I look across at Ted and wink.  He starts to smirk and I have to bite my lip as Cyn comes into the room.

 

              "Cynthia I have some news for you, which you may find distressing."

 

She sinks slowly into her seat and looks at both of us.

 

              "Actually, Ted could you..."  I ask realising that I am genuinely choked up.

 

She has been my right hand woman for years, unfailing and unstinting in her support of me.  Of us.  Me and Justin.

 

              "Sure Bri.  Um Cyn..."  I watch Ted blink rapidly.

 

              "Oh fuck, oh no, please no the cancer's back!  Shit!  What do I need to clear, when does your treatment start?  How much time off, actually you are just going to do exactly what the doctor's say and then take another 6 months off!"

 

She is poised ready and waiting but I see her hand shaking.

 

              "Will you be my best woman?"  I blurt out.

 

              "Your best?  I'm uh what?"  She looks at me confused.

 

              "Well Ted is my best man and I want you to be my best woman..."

 

              "Best man, best woman I don't under..." 

 

She looks at Ted, back to me and then at Ted again, who nods and smiles a watery smile.  Then she leaps up and slams both hands on the desk tears streaming down her face.

 

              "You son of...I...why would you...how could you...I thought...seriously why...oh fuck!  When did you ask him?!"

 

              "Last Thursday."  I reply.

 

              "Last Thursday!"  She squeals.  "Last Thursday!  Over 10 years I have worked for you, you ask him last Thursday and its Tuesday!  Tuesday for fuck sake!   Oooh I could just shake you Brian Aiden Kinney.  You scared the shit out of me!  Thursday!  Seriously Thursday!"

 

              "Uh Cyn...kinda waiting on your answer here."

 

She stops pacing and puts her hands on her hips.

 

              "What the fuck do you think?!  Of course, of course I will!  Now come here, right this instant and give your best woman a hug!"

 

I do as I am told and blink back tears of happiness.

 

              "Now back to work.  I have a wedding to pay for!"  I tell them both.

 

BRIDGE STREET HOTEL

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Yes this is Michael Novotny Bruckner, I am still holding for Adam White."

 

              "Adam White speaking."

 

              "Finally!  My name is Michael Novotny Bruckner.  I want to challenge a foreclosure notice on my store."

 

              "Um okay, interesting opening you had there.  I have a slot at three this afternoon, would that work for you, can you bring all the paperwork that you have."

 

              "Yes and also I want to discuss my divorce and to privately sue someone for the return of some money!"

 

              "Mr, uh Mr Novotny Bruckner, there is no need to shout.  We will do all we can to help you.  See you at three."

 

              "Fine.  See you then."

 

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY - BEN'S OFFICE

 

BEN

 

I am on the phone when Justin arrives, I wave him into the seat opposite.

 

              "That's fine.  I will be there.  Yeah I want this wrapped up as soon as possible.  Thanks bye.  Sorry about that.  Divorce lawyer.  So how are you, you good?"

 

              "I am fine thanks.  You?"

 

              "Honestly?  I am so relieved that I am finally able to move on."

 

              "Wouldyoubeanusherforme?"  He blurts out.

 

              "In all of that rush, I think I heard usher.  If you're asking if I will be one it will be an honour."

 

I find myself engulf in a happy hiccupping hug. 

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN ATTORNEYS AT LAW

 

ADAM

 

              "Mr Novotny Bruckner, pleased to meet you.  Please have a seat."

 

He sits down with a thump and a heavy sigh.

 

              "Can I have the paperwork?" 

 

I take my time reading and just to make sure I read it again.

 

              "Sorry just to be clear.  You are fighting this in the hopes of winning?"

 

              "Of course and then there's the matter..."

 

              "Let me stop you there.  When you first got this did you take it to a lawyer to have it looked at and explained to you or did you just sign it?"

 

              "It was drawn up by my daughter's mother who is a lawyer..."

 

              "Right.  So you just signed it."

 

              "Yes.  I never thought I would be screwed over by her!"

 

              "I don't, in fact I know she's not screwed you over.  The terms and conditions are pretty clear, you miss two payments the store and its contents become the property of Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor, hereinafter referred to as Kinnetic Inc.  This is the first condition.  And it's in bold."

 

              "But I didn't miss them.  My then husband paid them and..."

 

              "But the loan is between you and them.  Not you, your then husband and them."

 

              "So what are you saying?"

 

I internalise my annoyance and paste on a sympathetic smile.  Not that I am feeling any, I have heard of Michael Novotny on Liberty Avenue, seen him in action dry humping Kinney's leg and heard about him bad mouthing Taylor.  Justin Taylor is a nice guy, how he never decked him I will never know.

 

              "You agreed to the terms when you signed it.  I can look into it further for you but it doesn't look like you have a case for the foreclosure.  You said something a divorce and about a private lawsuit?"       

              "Yes!  Here's the paperwork for that."  He hands it over positively vibrating with eagerness.

 

I read the paperwork and just want to lock him away where he is only a danger to himself.

 

              "Like the foreclosure, you don't seem to have much of a case but I will look further into it."

 

He slumps down and I hope to see the last of him.

 

              "So when will you know if I have anything?  Especially for the divorce, I want to get my due."

 

Inside I am saying the moment you get out the door but I reply with.

 

              "In about a week."

 

DINER - EVENING

 

DEBS

 

My boys are the happiest I have ever seen them in a long while.  Well most of them, it's only Ted, Blake and Ben but Faal has just arrived.

 

              "So how is our LLO?"  Ted teases.

 

              "LLO?"  I ask coming over with coffee.

 

              "Lindsey's latest obsession."  Ted explains eliciting chuckles.

 

              "Ugh.  Please.  That was just horrible to experience.  Shudder and heave.  How did she think that would come across as sexy?"

 

I sit down next to Blake and sigh my feet are killing me, luckily Tuesday is one of our quieter nights.

 

              "Sore feet, I know just the thing be right back."  Faal decrees and is gone.

 

Twenty minutes later he's back with Carl.

 

              "Take her home and do what it says on the tin."

 

He hands him a gift box and smirks.

 

TORONTO - MEL & LINDZ'S HOUSE

 

LINDZ

 

              "Mel?"  I begin tentatively

 

              "Oh now that Faal's not in the room you can see me?"

 

              "Mel, there is no need to be like that I was being solicitous to our host."

 

              "Hosts.  The word you are looking for is hosts!  He is very much and will remain married, didn't you get that from the brush off he gave you, whilst trying to suck the air out of Zee's lungs?"

 

I take a calming breath.

 

              "Mel, I'm not sure what you saw but there wasn't anything.  I wasn't being flirtatious..."

 

              "Of course you weren't!"

 

              "I wasn't!"

 

Mel stops what she's doing and looks at me in a way that I haven't seen before.

 

              "You do realise that she was being oh so polite..."

 

              "Jennifer?  You call what she said to me polite?  Do you know she compared me to a hamburger and crabsticks...?"

 

              "Paul Newman."  She scoffs.

 

              "What?"

 

              "Paul Newman came out with the legendary comment about having steak at home..."

 

              "Well anyway, I didn't appreciate..."

 

              "No I wasn't talking about Jennifer I was talking about Zee.  She doesn't have to fight for Faal because she knows that he loves her and only her, but I think if she has to she will do so, just a heads up."

 

She goes upstairs and I pour myself a glass of wine.  I jump when the phone rings.

 

              "Michael!  How are you?  I have been so worried."

 

              "Hey Lindz.  I'm so confused and upset I can't believe Brian has done this to me.  I haven't done anything to him, he's taken my store away from me! I have nowhere to go!"

 

              "Michael, this will be fine, it is just a minor aberration in the normal order of things.  I will speak to Brian tomorrow, now where are you staying?"

 

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

KINNETIC

 

BETHANY

 

              "Kinnetic, this is Bethany how may..."

 

              "Bethany this is Lindsay Petersen put me through to Brian."

 

              "I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment but will be free in about 20 minutes I shall get him to call you back."

 

              "I would rather hold."

 

              "Uh you want to hold for 20 minutes?"  I wanted to make sure I heard her correctly.

 

              "Yes." 

 

              "Oh okay."

 

       "Who wants to hold for 20 minutes?"  Cyn had come back from her meeting and was holding coffee.

 

       "Lind..."

 

       "Give me time to get to my desk and put her through to me."

 

CYNTHIA

 

       "Cynthia Morris, how may I help you?"

 

       "Oh Cynthia, its Lindsey I was holding for Brian."

 

       "He's in a meeting and as Bethany said he won't be available for the next 20 minutes."

 

       "And as I said to Bethany I would rather hold..."

 

       "No."

 

       "No?  What do you mean no?"

 

       "Well if you want Brian to keep you in the manner to which you have become unreasonably accustomed you are going to have to free up this line, hence the word no."

 

       "Now just..."

 

       "Goodbye Lindsey."

 

I hang up and smile.  Oh that felt good to do!

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

I'm brooding about Lindz's behaviour.  I know I shouldn't because I'm sure and secure in my marriage but it's the way she discounted me.  And then there's idiot wanker boy, he has a vicious streak and will do a lot to get his own back, I have a bad feeling.  I need to blow off some steam.  I flick a text to Faal and head to my workshop.

 

WORKSHOP - AN HOUR LATER

 

FAAL

 

God she is beautiful.  Working in this heat with the sweat running down her back she is beautiful.  I sit down in the corner and watch her work.  She tends to lose herself and not even notice when I am here.  Her tongue is caught between her teeth as she mixes the dye to colour the glass. 

 

              "Hey."  I call softly.

 

She smiles at me and goes back to what she is doing.

 

              "For the back window?"

 

She nods and shifts the pane so that the bubbles are more evenly distributed.

 

              "How long will it take to set?"

 

              "A day maybe a day and a half.  You hungry?  Want some of those prawns from Sunday not in the mood to cook."

 

I nod and take off her gauntlets and pull her in for a kiss.  It starts to rain as we head back so we end up running to the house.

 

              "What is it?  I know you are brooding, unnecessarily I might add, about that.  But there is something else bothering you."

 

              "Yeah just something niggling at the back of my mind."

 

              "You order take out for say an hour and I will take your mind off it yes?"

 

FRIDAY MORNING

 

BRIDGE STREET HOTEL

 

MICHAEL

 

I look at my reflection in the mirror and wince at the slight bruise I have from Alice's slap.  I can't believe that Brian let her do that to me.  She's another one on my shit list.  And I think she needs to know exactly how that feels.

 

              "Adam White speaking."

 

              "Adam its Michael.  Michael Novotny Bruckner."

 

              "Ah how are you?"

 

              "Good, I forgot to tell you when we met that I have someone else I want to sue.  Alice Stephenson, she attacked me on Saturday and I want to sue her for assault."

 

              "Assault?  Okay, take it from the top."

 

I tell him exactly what happened and when I am finished there is a long silence.

 

              "Right.  I see.  So you have reported this correct?"

 

              "Well no not yet, but I will."

 

              "Well the first thing to do is report it and then we can issue the relevant paperwork.  I will have to pass this to a colleague though."

 

              "Great.  That's okay.   I will do that now."

 

ADAM

 

He can't be serious.  He can't be.  I pick up my briefcase and head to the police station.

 

              "Hi may I speak to Detective Horvath if he's available."

 

              "Let me check, may I take your name?"

 

              "Adam White."

 

I take a seat and wait.

 

              "Adam hey, how are you?  To what do I owe this visit?" 

 

Carl's gruff voice cuts through my musings.

 

              "Official business I'm afraid...a heads up."  I tell him as I follow him back to his office.

 

He indicates a seat and I take a breath.

 

              "You know Michael Novotny Bruckner?"

 

              "Yeah.  My stepson.  Is he okay?" 

 

              "He's intending to name you in a lawsuit?"

 

His eyes widen and he looks surprised.

 

              "For what I haven't done anything to that little rat bastard apart from marry his mother!"

 

              "No, he's intending to call you as a witness in an assault case he wants us to represent against Alice Stephenson."

 

I open my briefcase and tip it on the floor.

 

              "Oh dear I seem to have dropped that."

 

He picks up paper and reads it incredulous.

 

              "Hang on."

 

Ten minutes later he comes back in looking less pissed off.

 

              "Amazing.  We suddenly have a backlog of cases, this might take some time to get to."

 

BRITIN - FRIDAY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

I had just sat down and the beam was almost to my lips when the door went.  Sighing, I head to open it. 

 

              "Carl.  What's...who's this?"

 

              "We need to talk.  May we come in?"

 

I step aside and let them in.

 

              "Is Alice here?  Justin?"

 

I nod and holler for them it doesn't take long for them to arrive.

 

              "This is Adam White from White & Sullivan..."  Carl begins

 

              "The law firm?"  I ask, they are heavyweights.

 

He nods and goes onto explain what Michael wants to do, by the time he's finished Alice is in tears and Justin is pacing like a caged bear.

 

              "Oh dear I seem to have dropped that."  Adam mutters and looks away.

 

Justin pounces and reads it.

 

              "That never fucking happened!"

 

              "Wait.  Today's Friday.  Why now?"  I ask.

 

              "Look, I've told you more than I should; if this gets out I could be disbarred.  I don't know why he's coming for Alice maybe because she's an easier target...I don't like the guy he seems to get off on being unpleasant."

 

              "Thanks.  Do you think...?"

 

              "From a professional standpoint, he could win, if he got the right lawyer.  Look I have to go.  Have a good evening."

 

With that he leaves before turning round and winking.

 

              "What the fuck do we do now?"  Carl sighs.

 

              "Boys I am so sorry, but he made me so cross with what he said about you..."

 

              "Alice stop.  Didn't you see the wink?  You'll be fine no matter what."  I reassure her.

 

I am not sure she's totally convinced but that's all I have for now.

 

BEN & HUNTER'S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

              "Hey finally, what the hell happened to you?!"

 

Standing in front of me is a facsimile of Steve.  This Steve is dripping wet and hands me a couple off soggy take out bags.

 

              "Fl-flat tire, ha-had to walk.  Raining."  He chatters.

 

I pull him inside.

 

              "Stay there.  I'll get you a towel."

 

              "If yo-you ca-can keep your l-laughter to a l-low gig-giggle that w-would be gr-great!"

 

I dump the bags and dash upstairs, when I get back to him he's not moved and is starting to shiver.

 

              "Come on shower before you get pneumonia, which is not fun believe me."

 

Once we get to the bathroom, I set the shower and go to leave

 

              "Hot toddy or brandy?"  I ask

 

              "Both in a very large mug please!"  He calls back.

 

              "Will leave that and some sweats in Hunter's room okay?"

 

              "Thanks!  Give me 15 minutes before you leave the drink yeah?"

 

              "Sure."

 

I head back downstairs and check if the food is salvageable.  It is only just, so I put it in the oven to heat through.  I start the toddy and once it's done I head upstairs to leave it on the side.  10 minutes later he comes back down. 

 

              "Food okay?" 

 

              "Mmm.  Just about.  Want another one?  Where did you leave your car?"

 

He nods and I hand him the blanket.

 

              "Top of Liberty Avenue."

 

              "Fuck.  Why didn't you call I would've come and got you."

 

              "Dead battery."

 

He takes the toddy gratefully and shudders. 

 

              "Let me get that charged for you at least."  He hands me his phone.

 

              "It is going to be a stinker."  He mumbles.

 

              "Huh?"

 

              "The cold I am going to get after this.  Oh I hope I don't give it to Taylor.  Fuck, what am I still doing here, I am compromising your immune system.  Shit!  Look let me call a cab, we can..."

 

              "Steve!"

 

He stops rambling.

 

              "Who says you are going to get a cold, besides it takes at least a day for it to kick in. You've only been wet for what an hour?  Look just rest okay, I will go and get some meds and you can take them to forestall any attack okay?"

 

              "You sure."

 

              "I'm sure.  Won't be long."

 

And without thinking I drop a kiss on his forehead and leave.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

              "What the hell are you doing out in this weather?!"  I shout at Ben, although he's dry but still.

 

              "Need some chicken soup to go."

 

              "Sure honey.  You not feeling good?" 

 

              "Not me, Steve.  He had a flat and walked to mine in the pouring rain.  He's currently holed up on the sofa fretting about a cold."

 

I nod and smile.  I like Steve and I know he likes Ben hopefully Michael hasn't ruined his heart for anybody else.  I hand him a thermos and he heads out.

 

BEN & HUNTER'S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

              "Here, chicken soup it's good for the soul.  And the meds." 

 

He's struggling to stay awake but takes them both.

 

              "Steve, who's Taylor with?"

 

              "Um my mom."

 

              "Why don't I call her and ask her to keep her overnight, you are not in a fit state to go anywhere, you can use Hunter's room."

 

He nods tiredly and I make the call.

 

              "Come on.  Steve wake up and walk you need to go to bed."

 

Slowly he trudges upstairs sniffling. 

 

              "Sorry I was looking forward to our usual food fight."

 

              "Not a problem.  We can fight another day.  Now get some sleep."

 

              "Mmm.  Ben, stay with me till I fall asleep?"

 

              "Sure, it won't take long though with the meds and the toddy."

 

I settle down next to him and within 5 minutes his breathing has evened out. 

 

              "God you are so gorgeous."  I whisper as I leave the room.

 

SUNDAY LUNCH TIME

 

BRITIN

 

EMMETT

 

              "Okay Alice what's going on?  You've been as quiet as a mouse and there's a distinct lack of bubbles being poured."

 

              "He's, that man is suing me for assault."  She bursts into tears and I sweep her into my arms.

 

              "What man what are you...you don't mean Michael do you?"

 

              "What's he done now?"  Debs comes in at the moment.

 

She takes one look at Alice and pulls her into the lounge.

 

              "What's he done?  What have I told you about hiding things from me Carl?"

 

              "It's not hiding it's planning a strategy Red.  We have to be care..."

 

              "Again what's he done?"  She snaps

 

              "He's going after Alice in a lawsuit for assault..."  Justin's eyes flash with fury.

 

The room is silent for all of 15 seconds before everyone starts yelling.  Brian's whistle silences the room. 

 

              "So what can we do?"  Drewsie is pacing, I love my man when he's like that.

 

              "Nothing really until it's issued."  Brian sighs.

 

              "Wait it's not been issued so how do you know about it."  Blake asks.

 

              "Sometimes it pays to have someone in a law office that doesn't like their client..."  Justin advises.

 

              "Fucker, that fucker!  You said, didn't you, my lig, you said something was niggling!"  Faal is bristling with rage.  "I can't believe that he is going after sweet Alice after the way he treated her the last time!  Ooh if I could have just two seconds alone with him!  I would..."

 

              "Wait!  What do you mean?"  Blake stops him in mid stride.

 

              "What?"

 

              "You said the way he treated Alice, what did he do?"  Blake is animated.

 

              "Ted...take your man home and fuck his brains out.  You genius!"  Brian cries and dashes out.

 

10 minutes later, he comes back in with Vince. 

 

              "Vince would you be willing to make a statement as to what happened when Michael was last here?   How he behaved to Alice?  And can you remember where you dropped him off on Saturday?"

 

              "Yes, yes and yes.  What's going on Mr K?  We haven't wiped the discs yet, want me to stop that?"

 

              "Fuck yes!  Maybe a pre-emptive strike.  Ted go with him.  May I speak to Joshua Smalling please?" 

 

              "Who's Joshua Smalling?"  I ask.

 

              "Our lawyer.  I'm not...oh my God!"

 

              "If your man can't do it ours can!"  Faal growls starting to pace again.

 

An hour later, we have a statement from Vince, a copy of the disc and a writ raised. 

 

              "Your move Mikey, let the games begin!  And to the victors, yes that will be us, go the spoils!"   I cry.

 

THURSDAY - EARLY EVENING

 

TORONTO - MEL & LINDZ'S HOUSE

 

JENNY

 

              "Mom has it been two weeks yet?"

 

              "No sweetheart, why are you changing your mind?"

 

              "No but I just want to get things started."

 

              "You're not changing your mind on this then?"

 

I shake my head but then frown and sigh.

 

              "It's just..."

 

              "Its hard baby I know but some people have to learn the hard way.  And sadly Michael Novotny is one of those people."

 

              "But why, why was he so mean to Hunter and to Uncle Justin?"

 

Mom shrugs her shoulders.

 

              "The only thing I can think of is that he was, no is, jealous over the relationship Uncle Justin has with..."

 

              "But they've been together for ages.  It's not as if Uncle Brian would've wanted dad is it?"

 

Mom pauses; when she does that I know I have got it right or close enough.

 

              "Dad wanted Uncle Brian didn't he?  And then along came Uncle Justin..."

 

She smiles and gives me a hug nodding into my hair.

 

              "Yep that persistent little kid wouldn't leave him alone."

 

              "No he wouldn't and look where it's got him." 

 

We are both startled by momma's presence. 

 

              "With the man he loves."  I sigh happily.  "And they are getting married isn't that great!"

 

              "Yes, it's great."  Momma says.  "Just great."

 

MEL

 

              "You young lady have school tomorrow.  So hop to it with you."

 

I head downstairs with Lindz trailing in my wake.

 

              "You're not serious about her being adopted by Ben are you?"

 

              "It's not me it's her.  It's her choice..."

 

              "No that's not fair on Michael..."

 

              "He brought the tsarn fun zeyn tokhter [1] upon him let him reap the whirlwind!"

 

              "Why do you do that?  You know I hate it when you do that!"  She snaps.

 

              "What channel my inner Jew?  Well I hate it when you interfere in something that has fuck all to do with you but you still do it, so I guess we're even!"

 

She opens her mouth but then closes it again before storming back upstairs.

 

              "Baren [2]!"  I sigh.

 

LINDZ

 

              "Michael, how are you?  Oh yet another lecture from Ms Lawyer.  Are you still in the hotel that's going to eat into your money you know?  Look I want you to tell me what happened for you to be cast aside like this.  I want to understand exactly what we, yes we because I am your friend, are dealing with."

 

I tuck my feet under myself and settle down to listen.  When he's finished I can't understand it.  None of it sounds bad enough to warrant this treatment.

 

              "I suspect Justin's influence in this.  He's always been jealous of you.  But of course he is!  We've been Brian's friends, best friends, for years and now that Justin's in his life he doesn't want to know us.  It's a WASP isolation tactic, well I am not going to let him do this.  Let me speak to my parents, I think I can help with the accommodation situation.  We have a property, that I'm sure is coming up for renewal and they haven't got a tenant, actually let me ring them now and I'll call you back.

 

              "Hey daddy, it's Lindsey.  How are you and mommy?  I was wondering if the property in Shadyside is going to come available soon.  It is, great I have a solution for you."

 

FRIDAY LUNCHTIME

 

DINER

 

BRIAN

 

              "Debs can you feed the howling monster here before he keels over?"

 

This earns a kick in my shin from said blonde haired monster.

 

              "Okay what'll be?"

 

              "Oh the big daddy please with an egg on top and..."  Justin's voice trails off and his eyes narrow.

 

It doesn't take a genius to know who's just walked in.

 

              "Calm down tiger.  Let him make the first move."  I whisper.

 

              "Michael.  Here have a seat over there."

 

              "I want to sit here, this booth is available." 

 

              "Ah but those people will need it, so..."

 

I can feel his eyes burn into me as he moves to the other side of the diner but I don't turn round.

 

              "So big daddy with an egg on top and for you, want your usual?"  Deb snaps her gum.

 

              "Yeah can we have it to go?"  Justin asks.

 

              "No."  Debs and I say at the same time.

 

              "You are not being run out of here by that idiot I birthed."  Debs is firm.

 

She bustles off to get our order sorted out and I reach across to him. 

 

              "What else do you think they have planned?"  I ask him rubbing his ring finger, I look forward to seeing his band there.

 

              "Huh?"

 

              "Faal and Zee.  They said they would only tell us part so..."

 

              "Don't know but can you believe that place?  It is beautiful.   I think I saw a waterfall."

 

              "Brian?"

 

              "Michael what do you want?  I ask not looking up.

 

              "Can I talk to you alone?"

 

              "No.  You can return to your table before you lose it."  Deb tells him.

 

She waits for him to move and puts our drinks down.

 

              "Let me deal with this okay?"  She tells me and heads in his direction.

 

DEBS

 

              "So what will it be?"

 

              "Ma come on."

 

              "Come on what Michael?  I know you were there on Saturday we spoke to you, out loud and everything, what didn't you get.  You are Brian are over as friends - and that's all you ever were friends, it's over you've hurt him one too many times."

 

              "He just needs to calm down and listen and it will be fine."

 

              "Speaking of fine.  When are you going to pay it?"  Ted's voice startles us.

 

              "Ted what are you talking about?"  Michael looks bemused.

 

              "The money for the food you need to pay that back or I will lodge a complaint for fraud.  You have seven days Michael.  And we are to have a meeting about the store, I will get Bethany to set that up for you, expect her call."

 

He heads to join Brian and Justin.   I hear Justin's distinct giggle and a way to go from Brian, guess he shared.

 

              "Does it strike you as being fine right now Michael?"  I ask.

 

He shrugs and looks all puppy eyed at me and I can feel my resolve start to crumble.

 

              "Debs, table six needs their order taken."  Kiki calls over.

 

As I head in that direction she heads to Michael's table.

 

KIKI

 

              "Nice try.  Believe me when I say this.  There is no way your yellow bellied ass is going to hurt her again.  I have cleaned up enough of your shit.  Now what will it be, I promise only to spit in it this time."

 

I'm unsurprised when he walks out.  I turn to Debs and blow her a kiss.  I got my girl's back and no way is he hurting her.

 

SATURDAY

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

I nibble my lip.  Not altogether sure how to approach this subject, I really want them to come but just in case they say no I have a little gift for them all.

 

              "Mom can you please explain to dad that there are boundaries that should not be crossed!"

 

              "I could explain that in English, Dutch, Italian and Afrikaans, which language would you like me to be ignored in?"

 

He huffs and heads out, Hunter pauses before he leaves.

 

              "Thanks."

 

I look up in surprise as I haven't actually done anything, at least I don't think so.

 

              "What for?"

 

              "Just thanks okay?  We're going to Brownstone, in case he hadn't told you."

 

He plants a kiss on my cheek and leaves.

 

              "What was that about?"  I ask Faal when he comes in he shrugs and smiles.

 

              "Cooee Madam Chef, the cavalry is here!"  Emmy Lou trills as he marches in with Drew.

 

Within minutes the whole family have arrived. 

 

              "Alice is not coming.  George is unwell, just a chest cold so she wants to play nursemaid."  Justin tells me sticking his nose in the pot and inhaling.  "Ooh Emmy Lou smell!  What's this?"

 

              "Korean chicken stew.  And for starters we have stuffed crab claws with a chilli and sesame dip, palate cleanser of sake and mint granita and for pudding red bean cheesecake."

 

Justin just stares at me his eyes like saucers. 

 

              "And..."  He prompts.

 

              "Already prepped you just need to cook them.  And that goes for you too Emmy Lou."

 

I am engulfed in hugs.

 

              "I think sake Bellini is called for in keeping with the theme.  Mr Sommelier if you please!"

 

              "Your wish is my command."  Emmy Lou bows deeply.

 

With everyone's glasses filled we head to the lounge and settle down.

 

              "What's with the boxes?"  Debs asks.

 

              "Um, it's just a little thing from me just in case you say no."  Faal takes my hand.

 

              "No to what honey?"

 

              "Well I know that we are going to be at Britin for Thanksgiving, but I, well we, were wondering if you would like to spend Christmas here, it would be our first one as a family and you're all family.  If you can't do that then at least you will have a little something to..."  I trail off

 

              "Oh my God this is gorgeous!"  Debs had opened her box and taken out the paperweight.  "Where did you get this?"

 

              "I, um, made it."

 

              "You made this!"  Justin turns his in his hand. 

 

I nod nibble at my lip.

 

              "So are we having you all over for our first Christmas then?"

 

The cries of yes bounce of the walls and I let out the breath I had been holding.

 

              "Right dinner is pretty much ready let's eat!"

 

The door knocks and I head to answer it.

 

              "Alice Stephenson?"

 

              "Uh."

 

              "You've been served."  The man states and hands me an envelope.

 

              "But..."

 

              "Yeah heard it before.  You've been served."  He repeats and heads back to his car.

 

I head back to the lounge.

 

              "Who was that?  Lig?  Earth to lig who was that, what are you holding?"

 

              "I just got served."

 

              "What!"  Brian shouts.  "Who the fuck and why the fuck?"

 

              "It's not for me it's for Alice."

 

              "So he's gone through with it."  Debs sighs sadly.

 

              "Whatever you do don't open it.  Did he ask for identification or just say her name and hand it to you?"  Carl asks.

 

              "Said name and handed."  I reply.  "Tried to say that I wasn't her but he didn't listen."

 

              "Good."  Brian retorts.

 

              "How is this good?"  Jennifer demands.

 

              "He will have to refile and get it sent again in the meantime we send ours."  Brian explains.

 

I look at Debs and see real sadness there.

 

              "Red?"  Carl nudges her.

 

              "Do we have to, do we really have to?"  She looks round at us with tears in her eyes.

 

The room goes quiet as everyone looks at Brian.

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN - MONDAY MORNING

 

ADAM

 

"Mr Novotny Bruckner, what can I do for you this...you've done what?  When did you do that?  Who did you get to serve the papers?  Right let me get back to you."

 

I rub my temple and collect my briefcase and jacket and head to Archers Process Servers.

 

BRIDGE STREET HOTEL

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Michael Novotny Bruckner speaking?  Oh hello Bethany.  Yes Ted did mention that, yes I am free all day, I can come in now if that works."

 

I head to Kinnetic and wonder how Alice is feeling.  I would've loved to have seen her face when she got those papers. 

 

KINNETIC

 

              "Have a seat."  Bethany briefly looks up and indicates the sofa.

 

              "Can't I..."

 

              "No."  She replies brusquely.

 

For the next hour I wait.

 

              "Can you let me know what's keeping Ted?"  I call out to Bethany.

 

              "I don't have access to his...ah here he is."

 

              "Michael follow me." 

 

              "I'm fine, thanks for asking." 

 

              "Likewise."  He responds.

 

As we enter the conference room, I am surprised to find Alice sitting there alongside Zee and Brian.  Before I can sit down the door opens again. 

 

              "Have a seat Michael.  And you sir have a seat also."  Ted indicates.

 

We both sit down.

 

              "Did you bring the books for the store or shall we contact your accountant directly?"  Ted asks.

 

              "No.  I don't understand why you need to see the...excuse me but who is this guy?" 

 

              "Paul Crane from Archers Process Servers do you recognise anyone in this room?"  Ted replies.

 

              "Yes, this lady here."  He points at Zee.

 

              "And who is she?"  Ted asks.

 

              "Alice Stephenson."  He replies.

 

              "No that's Alice."  I point at her.

 

              "Oh.  Oh shit!"

 

              "What, what's wrong?"  I don't like the tight smile on Brian's face.

 

              "He served the wrong person.  Now Mr Crane could you?"

 

              "Okay well this is just odd but hey not my problem.  Michael Novotny Bruckner you've been served."

 

              "What!"  I yell standing up dropping the envelope immediately.

 

              "Can I go now?"  Paul asks.

 

Ted nods and he leaves very quickly.

 

              "You're not serious!"  I shout at Brian.

 

              "As serious as you are about suing Alice."  He replies calmly.

 

I sit down and under the glare of Zee I start to feel very uncomfortable.

 

              "And remember you still have to pay the food bill.  Now with regards to the store and its contents..."

 

              "I want the Captain back, it wasn't in the store!"

 

              "It was listed as part of your inventory therefore it is ours and we will contact your accountants directly for the books, no need for you to come back here."  Brian is still so calm.

 

              "But Brian..."  I begin to whine and he winces.

 

              "This is just a courtesy so it doesn't come as a shock to you when you see it.  Whilst we will be keeping the name, it will be revamped and brought up to modern standards.  And as for the statue, this will be auctioned off, we don't feel it will be in keeping with the vision we have in mind.  You, of course, can have first refusal at market price."  Ted explains

 

              "Market price?"  I echo.  "And what's with the "we" when do you speak for Brian?" 

 

              "Red Cape Comics is now part of Kinnetic Inc and I am a shareholder in Kinnetic Inc, therefore I can say we."  Ted leans back and arches a brow.

 

              "What happens now?"  I ask.

 

              "That depends on you Michael."  Ted leans forward

 

              "Meaning?"

 

              "Leave Alice alone and this goes away."  He indicates the envelope.

 

I glower at Alice but nod and go to leave.

 

              "You come after her in any sense, I will destroy you."  Zee's voice is glacial.

 

When I get back to the hotel I decide to call Lindsay.

 

              "Hi Michael how are you?"

 

              "They were going to sue me.  But..."

 

              "Sue you what for?"

 

              "Because I was going to sue Alice."

 

              "But, never mind.  Look I have some good news, the property I was telling you about is available so you can move in whenever you want.  Isn't that great?"

 

              "At last something is going right for me."  I sigh.

 

              "Michael I have told you before..."

 

              "And then there's Zee."  I gripe.

 

              "What about her?" 

 

              "I don't know ever since they came on the scene Brian and Ben changed."

 

              "Michael, you have to trust me, once people know their place things will be fine."

 

              "Okay so what's the address for this new place?"  I ask.