Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 19 - SHRIEKS OF A HARPY, A PITY PARTY, CAMERA CLICK & BANGING DOORS

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

All I did was take her elbow and guide her back to the lounge and she's practically sitting in my lap and I'm standing up!  How can one woman read so much into one gesture so badly, can she not see how hard it is for Zee to maintain her temper? 

 

She's getting close to the edge now and I know how my little hellcat works when she's fucked off, Lindz won't see it coming, it will hurt but she can't say that she wasn't warned. 

 

              "So Faal, tell me about your latest conquest?" 

 

              "Huh conquest?" 

 

              "Yes, Brian mentioned that you gained another client?"

 

I take a step back and go to the cart to get a brandy something anything to get out of her reach, Tucker flashes me a sympathetic look, and stands to my left whilst Drew stands to my right effectively blocking approach, and why does she think that look on her face is sexy, she looks constipated.

 

Just then Mel, Brian and Justin come back in and at my imploring look, Mel comes over and asks for a drink.

 

              "So who is this new client of yours?"  She asks.

 

              "Connor Renner."

 

The entire room goes quiet.

 

              "C-Connor Renner?  As in the actor Connor Renner?"  Mel gawps at me.

 

              "Yeah.  Uh where's Zee?"

 

              "No, no, you can't just drop Connor Renner into the conversation and swap subjects!"  Jenny cries.

 

              "We are doing his security for all his homes so we met up with him and..."

 

              "YoumetConnorRenner!"  Jenny gabbles.

 

              "Oh I see we have a fan!"  I tease.

 

Jenny gets between me and Mel and starts dragging me to the sofa then pushes me into the corner and sits down close to me.

 

              "Now tell me everything, even the boring security things, I mean everything!"  She demands.

 

ZEE

 

I was walking towards the lounge when I hear Faal mention Connor Renner, the jerk, and came in just in time to see Jenny push Faal into the sofa and sit down and then watch Lindz practically fling herself into the space next to her. 

 

I take a deep steadying breath and know I should be the bigger person and leave this be because I know Faal loves me but I can't hold off much longer.  I will bide my time until we know what's happening after Thursday, but there is no harm in putting the odd feeler or two out. 

 

And I need to speak to Emmy Lou.

 

              "Emmy Lou can I have a word, Drew you too."

 

              "Do you need me lig?"  Faal calls out.

 

              "No, I'll be fine."

 

Emmy Lou looks worried as he follows me to the office.

 

              "Emmy, I love working with you I really do and I know that this is the beginning of the partnership but..."

 

              "You want to quit already!  We've got enquiries coming in all over and..."

 

              "Em.my.Lou!  Sorry sweetie.  No I don't want to quit I just, I'm not like you, I can't, it feels too much like...I mean here it's for us, our family, you guys and doing..."

 

Drew smiles and pulls a quivering Emmy Lou into his arms.

 

              "Ems what I think she's trying to say is that she doesn't like doing the testing here.  You want to find somewhere else to do it?"

 

              "Yeah...and in the meantime can we use your lower kitchen, I know that's a huge imp..."

 

              "Of course!  Of course why didn't you say so before?  Oh you silly goose, you are the most maddening woman I have ever met.  We will need those knives of course...right to the kitchen let's make a list of every gorgeous thing that we need!"

 

I heave a sigh of relief, when we got the 2nd order and I saw the list of potential orders I knew I had to say something, and in his own sweet way Faal forced the issue...by being a pest, all the time, when I was recipe testing.

 

An hour later, Emmy Lou had not only opened another bottle of bubbles and dessert wine, but had taken out the desserts to bring them to temperature so we headed back into the lounge. 

 

              "Okay folks more bubbles...just waiting for the desserts to come to temp.  And this will be the last ever recipe testing event held here..."

 

There are gasps of surprise from all but Faal who comes beside me and kisses my temple.

 

              "I never had you down as a quitter Zee, it's what only your second event and you're giving up already, thought you were made of much stronger stuff..." 

 

Lindz is being snide and I inhale deeply.

 

              "I am and you have no idea how strong and how hard I will fight when pushed into a corner.  But I'm not quitting the partnership with Emmy Lou on the contrary as we have a lot of orders.  But this is our home and I cook here for fun so we're going to work from Emmy Lou and Drew's place until..."

 

              "But there's not enough room for us all to sleep there."  Michael interrupts.

 

              "Michael what're you talking about?"  Carl asks on behalf of all of us who look confused.

 

Michael sighs heavily and looks at Carl as if he is an idiot.

 

              "Well..."

 

              "Oh I see what you mean Michael.  No that's another reason, we have you guys here because we like having you here; well most of you, what Emmy Lou and Drew do in their house when recipe testing is entirely up to them.   But the weekends and overnights will still happen here and at Britin and those who we want there will be invited, those who we don't won't."  I explain.

 

              "So I finally got to you yes?"  Faal grins.

 

              "What gave it away?"

 

              "You saying that you would cut off my balls and stuff them in my ears so I couldn't hear myself screaming was a defining moment..."

 

              "Ouch!"  Ted winces

 

              "And she would too."  Faal laughs.

 

              "If I had a husband..."  Lindz begins

 

              "Your Freudian Slip is showing Lindsay."  I smirk.

 

              "What I meant was if Faal was my husband..."  She begins again

 

              "You really should stop talking Lindsay dear, you're not helping yourself."  Jennifer advises.

 

              "No not helping yourself at all.  Time for pudding methinks, Lindz needs something to put in her mouth besides her foot.  Need help Zee?"  Mel asks.

 

I nod and follow her into the kitchen, where we find Milo on the counter licking at an éclair, after scooting him away, I can't be too mad as he's not quite learned the rules yet, I look at Mel and grin.

 

              "Ooh meow!"  I snicker and Mel grins back.

 

Heading back to the lounge and keeping a very straight face, I make sure she gets her just desserts.

 

CAR SERVICE TO THE BROWNSTONE

 

GUS

 

I'm not sure what happened in the lounge because after Aunt Zee made her announcement we went to the other lounge to play board games with Matt and Hunter; but yet again they aren't talking though momma looks more relaxed than mom does.  Uncle Michael is bitching about them not having cutlery for dinner, I resisted the temptation to point out that he could easily have asked for cutlery if he was so bothered.  He's managed to drop cream down himself too and a cherry judging by the sticky red spot on the bottom of his jumper.

 

              "So Jenny, tell me about Hank."  Uncle Michael asks

 

              "Not much to tell.  He's got a little sister called Sarah, well half-sister.  He hates pizza, likes hoagies, loves ice hockey, one of our favourite movies is Slap Shot and that's about it."

 

              "How old is he?" 

 

I can see J starting to tense up, this is exactly what she wanted to avoid.  Quickly I send a "mayday J" text to Hunter and Matt.

 

              "Hey Matt, wasn't the messy fest great..."  She enthuses

 

And for the rest of the journey there were no more questions about Hank.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

              "Well Michael we will see you sometime in the week I guess." 

 

              "Yeah we need to meet as parents and discuss a few things.  I wasn't happy about her still doing the roller derby but that's done now.  She will have to find..."

 

              "Yes we need to discuss a lot of things, one of them being that.  Look why don't we arrange for dinner one day this week, looks like Wednesday and Friday are the best evenings.  Do they work for you?"

 

He nods at me and heads towards the door but catching my frown he pauses.

 

              "Wanted to say goodbye to Jenny."  He explains.

 

              "I'll get her to call you.  Goodnight Michael."

 

He reluctantly goes back to his car and I watch him drive away.

 

As soon as I'm in the door, Jenny hangs up and heaves a sigh of relief.

 

              "What on earth were you talking to Matt about?"  Lindz demands.  "Your father wanted to talk about Hank and your burgeoning relationship."  She twitters the last sentence.

 

              "Oh this and that, he wanted some advice on Hunter and..."

 

              "Advice about what?"  She asks pouring herself a glass of wine and then waving the bottle at me.

 

Nodding I wait as Jenny carefully thinks about her answer.

 

              "It's private, he wouldn't like me sharing." 

 

              "I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you having secrets with Matt especially about Hunter..."

 

              "Why especially about Hunter?"  Gus takes that moment to reappear

 

              "Well..."

 

              "Mom, you've never had a problem with Hunter before.  You fought for him to be adopted by Uncle Michael and Uncle Ben from the beginning, everything was fine until he got Justin's show and now he's a problem for you.  It seems to me that..."

 

Whatever, he was going to say was stopped by Lindz slamming her glass down so hard that it broke, swearing she turns to him and roars

 

              "Now look you made me do!  Now you listen to me Gus Petersen, I will not be judged by you, I am the parent!  Go to you room and don't come out until you learn some manners!  Go now before I ground you!"

 

Gus although stunned is all set to stand his ground.

 

              "Gus, come on Gus, let's go please, you want to work on the car right?  Come on!" 

 

Jenny was pulling at him hard and after staring coldly at Lindz he followed her out, before he shut the door he yelled out something and slammed it hard.

 

              "Lindz what the actual fuck?!"  I shout.

 

She's concentrating hard on clearing the glass up.

 

              "Mel, he was being rude and made me..."

 

              "Once again I call bullshit!  Lindz he was going to call you out perfectly!  You're jealous, you're jealous of Hunter.  Not because he got Justin's show, because let's face it you would not have been hosting it anyway.   No you're jealous of Hunter because the great Lydia Glendale has seen something in him that she doesn't see in you and you can't stand it!"

 

              "That's ridiculous!  He got lucky, just lucky once and I suspect it was just for pity on Justin's part you know how he likes to be charitable!"

 

       "I can't believe you just said that.  Good night Lindsay."

 

I head upstairs and find Jenny outside Gus's door with tears streaming down her face begging him to unlock it.

 

              "Let me try sweetheart.  Gus, its momma, come on, open the door, please just let us in please?"

 

When there is no response, I turn to her and whisper to call Uncle Brian, she nods and scoots to her room and is soon back nodding.

 

After 5 minutes of silence, I hear the sounds of movement and the key turning in the lock and the tear stained face of my son peering round the door.

 

              "May we come in?"

 

He opens it fully and we step inside and I pull him into my arms.

 

              "Why....?"

 

              "Sssh meyn tayer eyngl."

 

              "What does that mean?"  Jenny whispers

 

              "My darling boy."  I reply rocking a still sobbing Gus.

 

There's a knock at the door and Lindz steps inside.

 

              "Lambskin..."

 

Gus mumbles something and I nod.

 

              "He doesn't want to talk to you Lindsay, you both need to calm down and give each other space, now leave us be."  I tell her firmly.

 

              "Okay, but I will always love you lambskin."

 

She sighs and closes the door gently behind her.  Five minutes later the doorbell rings and I hear her call out Brian's name.  Gus runs to the door and almost launches himself from the stairs into Brian's chest, we quickly follow him down as Gus sobs harder.

 

              "Mel can I have his schedule for the next couple of days."  Justin's voice is icily calm, he takes it from me and then hands it to Jenny.   "Jenny can you get the books he needs according to this schedule okay?"

 

She nods and dashes back upstairs.

 

              "Justin, please get some clothes for him." Brian has not looked at Lindz.

 

He nods and follows her upstairs.

 

              "Now just a minute, I know I made a mist..."

 

              "Be quiet Lindz for once just shut the fuck up!"  I snap.

 

              "Please stop shouting."  Gus whimpers.

 

              "Sssh Sonny Boy, it's okay.  Now listen to me, I want you to go and sit in the car, Alice is waiting for you.  Now go."

 

Brian opens the front door and Gus is immediately pulled into Alice's arms and taken to the car.

 

              "Lounge."  He growls.

 

She is already sobbing and wringing her hands.

 

              "Be quiet, stop snivelling and sit Lindz.  Mel please take a seat.  Right, Gus will be with us for a couple of days.  I don't know what happened as Jenny didn't tell me, I want to hear from Gus first.  We..."

 

Just then Justin comes in with a duffle bag.

 

              "All set."

 

              "We will be in touch.  Lindz, don't call Gus, he's said he doesn't want to talk to you, respect his wishes.  Good night."

 

They leave the room and I hear him call Jenny, then the front door opens, closes and they are gone. 

 

Jenny comes into the room and gone is the tear stained little sister and in her place is the all avenging pitbull.

 

              "Momma.  I want you to look at me."

 

Lindz turns her tear stained face to Jenny.

 

              "Your actions and words hurt my brothers, don't think I haven't noticed the looks you've been given Hunter, and that makes you horrid.  You're still my momma but right now you are horrid.  Oh and that glass that you broke, its Lalique and will need to be replaced.  I'm going to bed now, goodnight mom."

 

She firmly closes the door after her, which seems to bring Lindz out of her stupor.

 

              "Did you see how angry he was at me?"  She whispers.

 

              "We all are, not just him.  I'm going to bed too.  Make up the spare room, I don't want you near me.

 

BRITIN - EARLY MONDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

I'm barely hanging on.  I'm currently on the edge of my bed clinging to a sliver of space on my 1000 thread count sheets as in his distressed state and after telling us what happened Gus ended up sleeping with us and likes to spread himself out. 

 

              "Brian?"  Justin whispers.

 

              "Mmm?"

 

              "Want coffee?"

 

I answer him by getting up and heading to the bathroom, he joins me two seconds later and wraps himself round me before starting to brush his teeth.

 

As I cover Gus back up I marvel at the fact that he seems to have spread himself out more.  From the hallway I hear the impatient mewl of Lilah and follow her downstairs.

 

              "So what do you think brought on the attack of the harpy?" 

 

He asks as he sorts out the coffee whilst I feed Lilah and Milo.

 

              "Don't know and don't care.  It's his reaction to it that worries me.  The only time I've seen Gus this upset was when he was having issues with..."

 

              "Jenny and her constant presence, but I thought they had settled that, they seem to be getting on great now, better than great, in fact."

 

We take out coffees to the lounge and snuggle up on our seat and I cover us with a blanket, both of us in our own thoughts.

 

              "I've been thinking about something else too."  I kiss the top of his head.

 

              "What's that?"

 

              "A wedding in late March early April..."

 

He sits up and blinks at me in astonishment.

 

              "What why, I thought you were okay with summer?  Is there something wrong?"

 

              "Nope nothing wrong.  I've just been checking out a couple of things about the island and round about that time it won't be so hot and that means we can go on our honeymoon straight away.  So for example we can do 2 weeks on the island of constant fucking and sucking and then go say round Europe for a month so you can take in the culture and I can take in some shopping."

 

For a few minutes he doesn't say a word.

 

              "But that would mean being away from Kinnetic for 6 weeks..."

 

              "Yep."

 

His silence is deafening.

 

              "Or we can leave it as summer and do Europe first and then South Africa..."

 

              "That's perfect...you're perfect, I need to speak to my agent and make sure I block off that time!"

 

He springs up and dashes to the door.

 

              "Uh Justin, baby it's six in the morning it can wait until at least nine."

 

He starts to come back to my embrace looking slightly embarrassed, then stops.

 

              "Ooh but can I at least send a text to Daph to make sure she can get the time off."

 

I snort softly and smile.

 

              "Not until seven at least now come back here."

 

Grinning he trots back quickly after grabbing another blanket and putting it over me and burrows under them and plasters himself to my side.  Minutes later we are asleep.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

JENNY

 

I've got everything I need for school, mom is waiting by the door.  Momma hasn't come down yet and to be honest I don't want to see her anyway.

 

              "Don't worry baby everything is going to be alright no matter what okay."

 

She kisses me on the side of my cheek and heads to work and I try Gus.

 

              "Hey.  How you feeling?  Are you coming in today?  You are, oh good.  Uh no I was going to buy some, oh sweet, okay see you at lunch.  Love you bro."

 

LINDZ

 

I haven't got the energy for work today.

 

              "Hello Sydney, its Lindsay.  Yeah I feel as rough as I sound.  Don't know where it came from, so I will be off today and maybe tomorrow depending on how I feel.  Thanks Sydney, bye."

 

I slump down back on the bed and think about last night.  His face was so cold and angry.  He's never looked at me like that before.  I have to make this right with him.  I'm startled when my phone rings but disappointed when it turns out to be Michael, I send him to voicemail, as I haven't got the energy for him either.

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Yet again I have gotten Lindz's voicemail, she must be in work, perhaps I can go over there later and maybe persuade her to do lunch. 

 

I look across to Joshua's house and a thought occurs to me.

 

Twenty minutes later I'm knocking on his door.

 

              "Michael, what on earth do you want?" 

 

              "Joshua good morning, I just wanted to..."

 

I hear someone calling him and am surprised to find Charles coming up behind him in nothing but a towel.

 

              "Why Charles, nice towel."  I smirk.  "So I've obviously interrupted you, I'll come back later."

 

I head back to my house with a smile on my face.

 

SHADYSIDE

 

JOSHUA

 

              "What the hell was that creepy smile about?"  I ask Charles

 

              "Don't know and care even less.  Let's get back in there."

 

We head back to the bedroom and Charles lays down and removes his towel and lies down and I lie next to him.

 

              "Now David I want you to watch what I do with Joshua before you do it with Charles.  When I was carrying Sarah, I found this was the best therapy so I had to learn it.  And you could add hot stone therapy to your chiropractic practice now you've got your licence back.  Right first we..."

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Oh this is just too perfect.  I google David Cameron and discover his address in Portland, seems to have moved, now if only I could remember Charles's surname.

 

BRITIN - LATE AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN 

 

              "Jesus.  I needed that."  I mumble into the pillow.

 

              "Glad to be of service.  Now sleep.  I'm going to the studio for a bit." 

 

              "How's your hand, I don't want you to overwork it."

 

              "Sleep, my hand is fine, I'm just going to go through my paintings."

 

Justin drops a soft kiss on my shoulder and leaves, before I succumb to darkness I marvel at the fact that he has given me the best Thai massage ever.

 

UPTOWN

 

LYDIA

 

I'm so glad that Hunter is back in work.  I did worry about him on Friday when he was a crumpled heap of despair.  But my wee boy is back and working harder than ever.  We've had nothing but rave reviews from Justin's show with more praise heaped on him, I've told him to start a portfolio with the programme and reviews, not that he's going anywhere if I have anything to do with it.

 

I have to say when Sydney told me about Lindsay being back in Bloom I was surprised.  When she was first in Bloom she was okay, but I found she tended to force her opinion a little much.  And she doesn't like the brass tacks of the job either; Martine told me about the cataloguing and how she was at the beginning, but since Hunter found the Taylors Martine's happy to do it.

 

The whole point of art is that it is subjective, it is down to the individual person, which is what I like about Hunter, he's thoughtful, yes he questions and suggests another point of view, but he's gentle in his guidance and opinions and is not so dogmatic. 

 

I've been watching him talk to one of our regular patrons about an Auzou, only a medium size one, which we have had for a while but it is generously priced for an Auzou, and can't help but be proud of his progress. 

 

Wait.   Oh my goodness, is this happening?!  Yes, yes I do believe...oh my God, my wee man has done it, he's made his first sale!

 

Okay Lydia, let him do it, let him close it down.  Twenty minutes later, a stunned Hunter is standing by his desk with the credit slip in his hand and is working out the commission he's just made.

 

              "Holy f.f.f...!  I mean...sorry I mean!  Lydia is this right?"  He cries out rushing towards me.

 

              "How much was the painting sold for?"

 

              "$26,000."

 

              "And you get what percentage of the sale?"

 

              "20%."

 

              "So let's work it out together.  I get $5,200 what do you have?"

 

              "The same..."

 

              "So after taxes it would be about $4,500 or something like that...Cara do you have a paper bag!"

 

THE LOFT - EARLY EVENING

 

MATT

 

Gus called me earlier, he told me what that bitch of a mother of his had screamed at him and after a bit of persuasion his dads have dropped him off here, after I promised to make him go to school.  Hunter might be pissed as he wanted it to be just us as he wanted to celebrate something but hopefully not.

 

I can hear his key in the door so pull it open and push him and his large bag of take out back into the hallway.

 

              "Uh what the hell?"

 

              "Gus is here, look I'm sorry but he called earlier and told..."

 

              "Justin already told me, now can we go in, I've got something to say that might cheer him up."

 

We head back inside and after dropping the food on the counter, he heads to the sofa.

 

              "S'up bro."  He asks fist bumping his shoulder

 

              "Nuh bruv."  He replies as usual.

 

I still don't understand that and I'm from Brooklyn.

 

              "So do you want the good news or the excellent news?" 

 

He turns to me apparently the bonding and healing moment has passed...once again I shall get him to explain this to me...until I get it even if he has to use sock puppets.

 

              "Is the good news in the take out bags?"  I ask hopefully.

 

              "Yep."

 

Gus gets up and helps me to plate up. 

 

              "Yes, Trams Kitchen!  What's the excellent news?"  He asks snaffling a dumpling.

 

              "Made my first sale today."

 

I pull him into a hug and kiss him soundly.

 

              "That's great!  Do you get commission like...like mom does?"  He flinches a little.

 

              "Yep, 20%."

 

              "How much was the painting sold for?"  I ask searching for napkins and finally finding some.

 

              "$26,000."

 

Gus and I look at each other, then at him then at each other again, we're both good at math.

 

              "Holy fucking shit!  Please let me be there when you tell her!"  Gus begs.

 

              "No, I'm not going to tell her, it's none of her business what we do." 

 

Gus's shoulders slump and he looks so disappointed.

 

              "Besides, it will get back to her eventually."  He grins.  "Now let's eat and then I need to kick some WiFi ass!

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

I have finally dragged myself out of bed and made my way downstairs.  Just as I reach the kitchen the front door opens and Mel comes in and we look at each other in silence.

 

              "Mom is that you?"  Jenny is calling out from the stairs.

 

              "Yes, I'm home..."

 

              "Okay, I'm doing my homework, can you call me when dinner's ready?"

 

              "Sure... are you planning to go to work tomorrow?"

 

I'm taken aback by the question and frown.

 

              "Um, no I wasn't why?"

 

              "Oh.  But the hubbub may have died down by then."

 

              "Hubbub?  What are you talking about?"

 

              "I was on my way to Bloom to take you to lunch when I bumped into Martine, she hopes you feel better soon.  Well, you know the café on the corner across from the Fienman and those two empty shops, well I ended up in there, where there was a buzz around about an Awe...dammit, an Auzou being sold."

 

My eyes light up, we have two in the gallery.

 

              "Sydney must be delighted."  I murmur.

 

              "He would be if he sold them, as it was it was Uptown Gallery that sold them."

 

              "I knew they had one but they've had that for a while.  I must congratulate Lydia when I'm back in on Wednesday." 

 

I start to pour some wine out at least we are talking.

 

              "Yes you must.  Speaking of Wednesday, Michael wants to come over for dinner to discuss parental stuff, can you make sure you are back by say five.  And, please order take out, say from Trams Kitchen, as I will have been in court for most of the day.  I'll get them over for six and we can talk then."

 

              "I will do.  Um, have you heard from Gus at all?"

 

              "Yes."

 

              "Did he ask about me?"

 

              "Did he call you?"

 

              "No."

 

              "There's your answer.  Now I'm going to have a quick shower, did you manage to do anything or are we having takeout tonight?"

 

              "I'll order take out.  What do you fancy?"

 

              "Whatever you want, but not pizza.  Call us when it's here."

 

And she heads upstairs.  I smile a small smile and take out the menus for the local Thai place

 

MEL

 

I have no fucking idea how I got through that conversation without bursting out laughing or smacking her in the face.  When I found out she wasn't in because she was ‘sick' I decided to try to take Hunter for lunch instead and that's when he told me what happened.  He was talking about a portfolio and how he needs one so I ended up taking him to the art shop and after speaking to Justin got him the perfect one. 

 

              "Mom?  Why are you smiling like that?  That's your lawyer smile...what's happened?" 

 

              "You truly are a Marcus, let me have a shower and I'll tell you about my day."

 

BRITIN

 

STUDIO

 

JUSTIN

 

I must have dozed off as it's darker outside than when I came in and I have a duvet covering me.  Brian is flicking through my pictures on the projector and sipping a cup of coffee.

 

              "Why didn't you wake me?"  I stretch out managing to wiggle my feet into his lap.

 

              "You looked so peaceful.  Alice left some pork chops for us, just need to do fixings."

 

I snort and lift up the duvet scooting forward so he can slide behind me.  Once he's settled he strokes my hair.

 

              "I had a great dream."

 

              "You did?  Want to tell me about it?"

 

              "As long as it doesn't you hot and bothered."

 

              "Get on with it twat."

 

              "Well we were at Babylon and we weren't dancing together at first but you were dressed in black and at first there were people around us both but then you walked up to me and suddenly we were in the middle of the dance floor just us and we started to dance together, face to face, our cocks grinding together, before I started to peel off your shirt, well I think it was your shirt, and then I woke up..."

 

Feeling his stillness, I turn to face him and his eyes are shining with tears.

 

              "What?  What's wrong?  Wait...is that?  Have I just...?"

 

He nods and pulls me into a deep kiss.

 

              "That's the prom, well some of it.  It was the beginning of our dance."

 

WEDNESDAY MID-AFTERNOON

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

SYDNEY

 

              "Lyndsay glad you're feeling better."

 

              "Thank you Sydney."

 

              "What have you been up to today? 

 

              "I've been reading up on a couple of new artists and will be going to the Frick tomorrow."

 

I nod and just as I was going to say something else, Martine came up to us.

 

              "Sydney, oh hi Lindsay I didn't realise you were back.  Feeling better?" 

 

              "Yes thank you.  What do you have there?"  She asks.

 

              "Oh it's the bill of sale, now what do I do with it?"

 

              "B-bill of sale?"  She stammers and I know exactly what she's thinking.

 

              "Yeah for the Matikka."

 

I see her shoulders slump in relief.

 

              "Why don't you let me handle that?  Oh that's a good price for that artist, what's the commission?"

 

              "20% as per usual, but half of that will go to Martine, as she helped with the sale along with Simon."

 

I see her stiffen and that brittle smile is back.

 

              "Really, oh gosh thanks Sydney, I didn't expect that!"

 

              "That's what happens when you work hard, you get rewarded.  Ladies I leave you to your duties."

 

BROWNSTONE - EARLY EVENING

 

LINDZ

 

Gus finally came home last night, I was annoyed that he was with Matt and Hunter and at the loft, nobody told me.  When I expressed the unfairness of it all this morning, Mel just shook her head and went to work.  Jenny's helping me set the dining room table.

 

              "Your dad and papa should be here around six."

 

She nods and continues to help in silence.  Once we're done she heads back to her room, though I can hear her talking to Mel I can't hear what is being said.

 

The doorbell goes and it's the takeaway, I put the containers in the oven and wait for Mel to come in, just as she does the door goes again and it's Ben.

 

              "Hi Lindz, Mel how are you doing...ooof!" 

 

He staggers backwards under the body slamming hug from Jenny.

 

              "Papa, come, come to my room you need to help me with something."  She starts tugging his hand.

 

              "Be right back.  What's put a fire under her?"

 

We shrug and chuckle as she practically drags him out of the room.

 

              "A Hank thing you think?"  I ask.

 

              "You never know."

 

Fifteen minutes later we are still waiting for Michael to arrive, he said he would only be 5 minutes late.  Finally, he arrives but is brought up short on seeing Ben.

 

              "I thought this was for Jenny's parents, he's..."

 

              "Still her papa as far as she is concerned.  Therefore, he's considered a parent, now come on we're starving."  Mel tells him firmly

 

I pour the wine and slowly the tension eases.

 

              "This is really good; where's it from?"  Ben asks.

 

              "Trams Kitchen, Matt put us onto it."  Mel tells him

 

I hope she didn't notice Michael's eye roll.

 

              "Oh okay.  Might get some for Friday, as its game night."

 

              "Game night?"  I repeat.

 

              "Hmm.  Poker night.  It's our turn to host."

 

              "Our turn?"  Mel teases him and earns herself a sheepish grin.

 

              "So who plays?"  I ask and take a sip of wine.

 

              "Well the core is me, Steve, Eli and Monty and others from the block just let us know if they can come.  The house is winning, Steve's a good player."

 

              "We're here to discuss Jenny not to talk about what sounds like a gambling addiction in the making."

 

Michael stands up and takes his plate to the sink, so we take our cue from the drama queen and head to the lounge.

 

              "Right, so where shall we start?"  I ask.

 

              "I want to discuss the roller derby, I know that she's set on this but..."

 

              "Michael come on, she wants to do it, has made a commitment and is hellbent on sticking by it, and its fun for her and she's made great friends.  Jesus, they won the final for fuck sake!  She's not this little flower that needs to be protected, that's what the shin pads, helmets, mouth guards and blockers are for."

 

              "I'm sorry Mel but I'm with Michael on this, it's too..."

 

              "Well then we're at an impasse, because I'm backing Mel and Jenny."  Ben interrupts.

 

              "How about this, I have one more season with them and if anything happens then you revisit this, please, come on please, I really love it please." 

 

None of us had heard Jenny come in.

 

              "I think that's a great compromise, don't you think so Michael, Lindz, she's already signed up..."

 

              "Okay sweetheart, Mel, I agree to just one more season for now."  I sigh and ignore the heated look from Michael.

 

              "Yes!"  Jenny shouts and heads back upstairs calling for Gus.

 

              "Okay, so onto the support payments.  I have a bill from the IRS and..."

 

              "How does that impact your ability to pay your portion of support for your daughter?"  Mel asks.

 

              "Well obviously it will..."

 

              "I thought you were appealing this?"  I'm confused.

 

              "I am but in the meantime..."

 

              "You owe them nothing until such time as the appeal is heard and reviewed, well actually not nothing you owe them a token amount, I think its $50 but then nothing until a decision is made." 

 

"Fine but I just feel that whilst..."

 

              "Okay, so you want to reduce your payments until the appeal is heard and a decision made is that correct?"

 

He smiles and nods.

 

              "Not reduce though, I need living expenses so would prefer to owe you afterwards?"

 

              "Well that's fine.  You're up to date as of now, so until the appeals process result is known you don't have to pay..."

 

Ben and I exchange looks and he was about to say something.

 

              "Goodnight Michael."  Mel finishes.

 

              "Good..."

 

              "Yes, goodnight, you can't have it both ways, you can't not pay her support and expect to be involved in any decisions; it's like asking, say, asking Ben to pay for the support but not letting him see her.  You can't have one without the other, this is not how it works.  So goodnight Michael."

 

He opens and closes his mouth in surprise.

 

              "But she's my daughter..."

 

              "That won't change, we'll let you know of any decisions that are of impact.  Goodnight Michael."

 

Slowly he looks round the table, Ben and I are looking surprised as we weren't expecting that either.

 

              "What will you tell Jenny?" 

 

              "About what, nothing has changed for her.  She still has 4 parents who love her.  You know what I think that's all we have to discuss as far as I'm concerned, anybody else?"

 

Ben and I shake our heads.

 

              "Right then, I suggest we finish off this rather excellent wine and discuss something far more pleasant.  So what'll be?"

 

              "Hunter and his commission, so proud of him, he's taking Steve and I out for dinner at The Twisted Frenchman as a treat."

 

              "Sorry Hunter's what?  What commission?"  I ask

 

              "He sold an Auzou is that right and he got the commission on it."  Ben explains.   "Can't wait to go, it's had great reviews, though we tried to get into Meat and Potatoes but that was nigh on impossible."

 

              "Unless you go for a late lunch time and book on the day."  Mel comments.

 

              "You've been?"  Ben sits up in surprise.

 

              "Yeah oh my God the food, remember Lindz, the doggy bag I bought back a few weeks ago?"

 

              "Yes that was from there?  It was heavenly, who did you go with again?"

 

              "Zee, she was in the office doing business and caught me twerking after our win so we went there to celebrate.  She's managed to...oh wait we went to Speakeasy first, if you like whisky you will love it there."

 

              "Wait did you say twerking?"  Ben splutters.

 

              "Moving on from there!  Isn't it a shame that Jenny had to take the trophy back to school?"

 

              "Oh that reminds me, did you guys know that the kids have keys to all the houses like ma's, Britin, here?"

 

I'm surprised by that, they never mentioned having a key to Britin.

 

              "No. We didn't know that, well I didn't did you Mel?"

 

              "I knew about Debs and Ben's and obviously here but Britin and everywhere else that I didn't know about."

 

Jenny startles us again by her quiet entry.

 

              "Actually dad that's not quite right, we have keys to the homes round here, but not the loft nor Uncle Ted's or Aunt Ems, in fact the only person who has keys to every house is..."

 

              "Gus of course."  I smile at the trust that people have bestowed upon my son.

 

              "No, Hunter, apart from again Uncle Ted's, Auntie Ems and yours dad, he has keys to them all."

 

              "Hunter has a key to Britin, what on earth for?"  Michael demands.

 

              "Well when he was working with Uncle Justin on his show he was given one and they haven't taken it back." 

 

              "But they should he doesn't need it anymore."  Michael gripes

 

              "He tried but they told him to keep it.  Look I actually came down to say goodnight, so goodnight all."

 

She kisses us all goodnight and starts to head to bed.

 

              "Oh dad, can I have a key to yours, you've still not given me one."

 

I watch the flash of annoyance cross both Ben and Mel's faces.  Michael jerks his head in a nod.

 

              "Oh yes!"  Mel suddenly cries out.

 

"What, what's happened?"  Ben asks.

 

"Yet more good news that pain the ass case has been settled out of court.  I would say more wine but I have a whole pile of other pain in the ass cases on my desk to review, such is the life of a busy partner."

 

They take the hint and drain their glasses and head to the front door.  Once they are out, we lock up.

 

              "Uh Mel..."

 

              "Not yet Lindz, not yet."

 

I nod and make my way to the spare room.

 

MICHAEL

 

              "Did you put her up to this?"  I demand.

 

              "No Michael I was as surprised as you were."

 

              "I bet this is something that Boy Wonder suggested."  I spit

 

              "How are you blaming Justin for this?  He wasn't even here?"

 

              "But this is so him!  Putting conditions on stuff!"

 

              "Michael listen to yourself, I mean really listen.  Do you know how jealous and spiteful you sound?  And what was the queening out over Hunter having keys to Britin?"

 

              "He doesn't need it anymore, he should give it back to..."

 

              "Still have selective hearing see.  He tried, they didn't want it back.  Look I've got to go.  Get home safely Michael."

 

I watch as he heads up the street.

 

              "Do you need a lift?"  I call out.

 

              "Nope. I'm going to walk, it's not that far."

 

              "Come on Ben it's getting colder let me give you a lift."

 

He pauses and turns round and just as he's heading back there is a sound of a horn.

 

              "Hey handsome need a ride?"  Steve shouts out.

 

              "Oh my knight in shiny spandex, hell yeah!"  Ben heads back towards him laughing.

 

I head back to my car and watch them kiss and then drive away and I realise he's never smiled that way with me, we've never had poker nights with the neighbours and they only time he was remotely goofy with me was when he was on steroids...it's just not fair!

 

FIENMAN GALLERY - THURSDAY MORNING

 

JAMES FIENMAN

 

Jesus, what a mess!  It's worse than I thought.  I can still smell the smoke after all this time and I'm getting too old for this shit.  It will take until at least June to clear this place up to even half of what it was before, my pity party is stopped by Sydney popping his head round the door.

 

              "Oh James I'm so sorry my boy, do they know what caused it yet?"

 

              "Faulty wiring above."  I sigh.  "What am I going to do?"

 

              "I don't know my boy, get me calling you my boy when you're three years older..."

 

              "Oh thanks for that, this helps my mood how?  And now with Hunter in the Uptown doing miracles and the two units next door most likely going to be more galleries..."

 

              "They've been sold?  I wasn't aware of that.  Things are looking a little bleak..."

 

Whatever he was about to cheer me up with was cut off by my phone ringing.

 

              "James speaking.  Yes, this is James Fienman, sorry force of habit.  Nice to meet you well you know what I mean.  What can I...?  Yes sadly there was a fire and it looks like I will have to cut my...pardon, sorry, I mean are you serious, have you seen the damage?  Of course, of course I will meet with you, just tell me where and when!  Okay see you then!  Thank you!"

 

Sydney is looking concerned.

 

              "James..."

 

TREEHOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

FAAL

 

Zee has been in the office for the last couple of hours and has had that look on her face.  Just as I'm about to go and get her to tell me what's wrong she comes in with two glasses and a bottle of bubbles.

 

              "Zee?"  I start as she pours a glass and straddles me.

 

I look at the bottle, vintage Hiedsieck & Co Monopole Gold 2009...the good stuff.

 

              "So what's the occasion?"

 

              "I've booked Meat and Potatoes for your birthday with pre-dinner drinks at Speakeasy..."

 

              "This doesn't call for that?"  I indicate the bottle with glass.

 

              "But just for the two of us."  She murmurs dropping kisses round my jaw.

 

              "And...oh dat voelt zo goed..."  I groan.

 

              "And...I've been shopping."

 

Before I could ask another question she captures my mouth...