Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 17 - AND THE WATERS MUDDY AGAIN

 

BROWNSTONE - SUNDAY EVENING

 

MEL

 

We waddle into the house completely stuffed, the kids go upstairs to bed and not once did Lindz come down to see who it was.  Pouring myself a glass of wine, and figuring I would find her sulking somewhere, I try the bedroom and sure enough there she is in bed filing her nails.  She glowers at me and files faster.

 

              "Hey how was your dinner and evening with Michael?"

 

              "You've got to be kidding me, you abandoned me and you say ‘how was your dinner and evening'?"

 

I sigh and put down my glass and prepare myself for another woe is me scene.

 

              "No you made a choice Lindz, you both did, as you could easily have changed your mind and come to watch the game when I told you..."

 

              "You said they gave away our tickets...."

 

              "You could've bought at the gate or online but you chose, I repeat, chose not to."

 

She glowers at me again and then gets up wearing flannels, too cold to flounce about in her negligee I guess, and starts to head downstairs before turning to me.

 

              "I'm getting a glass of wine, thanks for thinking of me yet again!"

 

              "Thanks for asking about Jenny's game!"  

 

I raise my glass to her listen to her stomp downstairs before I go to the bathroom to prepare for bed.  It is going to be a long week.

 

BLOOM GALLERY - MONDAY LATE MORNING

 

SYDNEY

 

              "Morning Lindsay good weekend?"

 

              "Not bad, how about you, family emergency all sorted out?"  Her tone is clipped.

 

              "Yes, turned out to be nothing much but by the time it was sorted it was too late for me to come back but I knew the gallery was in safe hands.  Speaking of which, have you read the write-ups?"

 

She shakes her head and settles down with her coffee, booting up her computer.

 

              "Did we get a good review?"

 

              "Well the artist did but not as good a review as Justin Taylor did, as usual, Martine said it was marvellous.  Oh here it is, listen to this bit; the show's co-curator Hunter Bruckner's was another star of the show, despite his lack of artistic training his knowledge and enthusiasm carried the evening and I for one look forward to attending more shows that he hosts as under the guidance of Uptown's Lydia Glendale it looks like we have a first rate curator in our artistic future... and that was by Dirk Richmond.  Isn't that great a nice confidence boost for him?  Lydia said he was so nervous, it's a shame she got to him first..."

 

              "Pardon, what do you mean got to him first?"  Her tone is sharp.  Good.

 

              "He was coming to interview with us after Uptown but they offered on the spot...our loss...but now see, proof of the importance of cataloguing you never know what hidden gems you may find." 

 

She grimaces and continues to stare hard at her computer. 

 

I head to my office and try to keep the smile off my face until I close the door.

 

CHASE HAROLD & DRAPER

 

ELLEN

 

              "Mel there's an Emily Stewart on Line 2 for you?"

 

MEL

 

              "Thanks put her through.  Hi Emily, how are you, good weekend?  Listen, I know this is rehashing ancient history but I need to know something about the, yeah that, there wasn't any money exchanged was there no formal...oh just dinner, sorry you paid for the dinners that she took him out to, right thanks.  No, nothing but I might need you to speak to someone else about it, let me call you about that.  Thanks Emily."

 

I sigh and rest my head against the headrest and close my eyes.

 

              "Mel you okay?"  Harry's concerned voice jolts me out of my mindfuck.

 

              "Yeah, this is going to be a long week that's all.  What can I do for you?" 

 

              "Josiah Needful, I mean Needles, is in reception demanding to see a partner and of course has no appointment..." 

 

We both grimace he's a major pain in the ass and lives up to his name...so we play rock paper scissors as to who deals with him...for once luck is on my side.

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

LYDIA

 

              "So have you read them?"

 

Hunter looks up at me in surprise and frowns

 

              "The write-ups, you must read all reviews of the shows you host both paper and online." 

 

I shove the paper under his nose and then watch his face change from confusion to pride.

 

              "Fuck me, that's me he's writing about?"

 

I nod and smile and have to fight the temptation to ruffle his hair.

 

              "Told you.  Told you you'd be good.  Now before you get all full of yourself cataloguing young man!"

 

He leaps up and takes his kit...pad, pencil, gloves, camera and iPod...and heads without complaint to the basement.

 

KINNETIC

 

TED

 

              "Hey Tobias, how are you?  Thanks for calling me back, I was wondering how the...he does?  He didn't, wait say that again you did what?  Oh that's priceless.  Thanks Tobias you have made my morning!"

 

As I head to Brian's office, I spot Justin leaving and shout for him to come back and we head back to Brian's office.  I quirk an eyebrow at Justin, who grins sheepishly, and I shake my head.

 

              "Come" 

 

              "I believe you just did."  I mutter to myself as I open the door earning a snort from Justin.

 

              "Theodore to what do I owe this pleasure?  And Sunshine too ready for more?"

 

He asks immediately pulling Justin to the couch and indicating that I should sit in the chair opposite.

 

              "I thought you would like to know the results of the audit that I suggested."

 

              "Audit?"  Justin looks at us confused.  "We've been audited, we were audited last year why would we need another audit?"

 

              "Breathe Justin, not you two or Kinnetic someone else.  Who I'm not at liberty to mention, but who has been rather quiet of late.  Turns out that he owes a pretty penny in back taxes and even though we knew that his divorce from another mutual friend of ours has come through it turns out that the IRS man had to, ahem, encourage him, to read his paperwork to find that out for himself.  And this, I think goes some way to explaining his silence, so don't be surprised if..."

 

              "How much?"  Justin is grinning

 

              "Under the $25K threshold but not by much...and he tried to say that his now ex-husband should pay half.  So don't be surprised..."

 

              "Not a fucking hope in hell."  Brian snapped, earning him a sunshine smile.

 

              "Not even Michael would be stupid and arrogant enough to think he could come to you for it, but he may use that as leverage to avoid paying the loan back..."

 

They exchange a look and Justin nibbles his lip.

 

              "I think we need to call Ben."

 

              "Why?  Ben has nothing to do with this?"  Brian and I exchange confused looks.

 

              "No but remember when they first split up and he said that he wouldn't let Ben and Hunter see Jenny..."

 

              "But that's never happened so...oh you don't think he would, seriously?"  Brian demands

 

It took a few seconds to catch up before I nod curtly and head to my office.

 

BEN

 

              "Hi Ted, I'm good yep a proud papa, so proud I've even framed the article.  Yeah I heard he was audited why?  He does...ouch well thank goodness other than household bills we had a separate account.  Uh yeah actually he did say that once the divorce was finalised that I wouldn't be able to see her anymore but I pointed out he would have to pay the sup...ah of course, okay thanks for the heads up.  No I appreciate it."

 

So much for having him out of my life.

 

KINNETIC - 30 MINUTES LATER

 

BETHANY

 

              "Hi Mel, how are you?

 

              "Good, don't suppose the King is in, I know I don't have an appointment..."

 

              "Actually he's free now, but a word of warning, Justin's in there and he's tried to leave twice!"

 

I shake my head, laughing as I head to his office.  Knocking hard, I can hear Justin's squeal of protest.

 

              "Hang on a minute!"  Brian calls out.

 

              "Come on Kinney, get dressed faster!"  I call out.

 

The door is swung open and Justin looks relieved, rumpled but relieved, to see me.

 

              "Okay I will see you at home!"  He states firmly as he moves past me.

 

              "Actually Justin you might need to hear this too.  And I need to call Faal and Zee."

 

Brian grins wolfishly at him as he pulls him back into his office and closes the door behind us. 

 

              "Why do you need to call them?"

 

              "Hold on all will be revealed."  I quickly dial the number.

 

              "Ugerstacht."

 

              "Faal, it's Mel, I've got Brian and Justin with me is Zee about?"

 

              "Hey gorgeous lady!  Nope, she's taking her aunt and uncle to the airport, I'll catch her up go ahead."

 

Taking a deep breath, I begin.

 

              "Do you remember what Emily said at the party about Lindsay finding a father to help her have a baby, well I met up with her last week and..."

 

By the time I have finished telling them there is a stunned silence.

 

              "This doesn't change how we feel about Gus because we love him more than life itself, and we want to talk to you about that, but how could she do that to Emily?"  Justin's eyes are filled with tears.

 

Brian's expression has changed from stunned to furious to hurt

 

              "So she didn't really want to have a baby until Emily asked her to ask me..."

 

              "Seems so."

 

              "So all those things she told me were lies, she never even mentioned Emily once...she never really wanted a kid with me, it was so that she..."

 

              "Would be the only one, yeah I know."  I whisper sadly. 

 

              "Is anything she's done illegal?"  Faal asks.

 

              "No as long as no monies were exchanged or contracts signed she's just lied to her.  I mean the dinners don't count since they'd be small..."

 

              "What dinners?"  Again the confused look on Brian's face.

 

              "Emily gave Lindz money to take you to dinner to sweeten the deal so to speak."  I explain.

 

He snorts in derision.

 

              "Mel I can assure you that Lindz has never ever taken me to dinner when I haven't paid for it."

 

              "Jesus what a...onwelriekende teef!  Look, I've got to go, if there's anything you need from us let us know yes?  And Brian, I'm sorry the way you have been treated by her, but don't..."

 

              "I never would, we never would, this is all Lindz, all her."

 

              "I'm glad.  Mel shall I get Zee to call you when she's back?"

 

              "Please, see you."

 

              "Oh Faal, what did you call her?"  Justin asks.

 

              "Malodourous bitch.  See you."

 

              "So now what do we do?"  Justin asks.

 

              "I don't know I really don't know.  But we should definitely look at the paperwork again.  I'll call Joshua and arrange an appointment, any time this week you can't do?" 

 

Brian is in business mode but I can see the pain this is causing him and I reach out to him and am surprised when he lets me squeeze his arm.

 

              "Let me know when and where.  Okay?"

 

He nods and I hug Justin goodbye and close the door softly behind me.

 

JUSTIN

 

              "We didn't mention it to her."  Brian says quietly

 

              "I know.  Just wait there.  Cyn, its Justin.  Something's come up and I'm taking Brian home, he'll be back tomorrow but right now he needs to be home.  Thanks Cyn."

 

              "Come on, we need to be alone."

 

He doesn't put up a struggle.

 

BRITIN

 

ALICE

 

              "George go put wood in the fires for me, weather forecast is for another cold snap tonight.  We can bank them later."

 

George gives me a mock salute and heads to do my bidding.  I've got a few hours of peace before the boys come home and so have been catching up on some household paperwork. 

 

Having done that with, mercifully no horrible, surprises I take a bit of a time out and think about the weekend, after Jenny's game, it was wonderful.  There was Emmy Lou and Justin fighting over the last rib, Justin to eat it for pleasure and Emmy Lou to try and guess the marinade, whilst he was allowed to watch, it was only for prep purposes as they are going to be doing a party with a messy fest theme but not those dishes...they belong to the Stark/Ugerstacht family alone.  There was laughing and joking and even our new addition of Milo fitted right in with no problems.  But there was something about the weekend that made it great and then I realise what it was...they weren't there.  And I don't think the kids missed them.

 

I hear the front door go and am surprised to see my boys are home, Lilah and Milo dash to greet them.  Brian heads straight to the lounge and closed the doors, Justin sighs and was about to turn away when Brian pulls him inside and then closes the door after Lilah and Milo.

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

When I'm done here, I'm calling Daph, she'll help me hide the body, definitely not Zee, Faal or Mel as they could be suspect motive wise, whereas we look so innocent and sweet. 

 

Brian's head is in my lap and he's sleeping, I want wipe the tracks of his tears away, but he's holding my right hand soothing me even in sleep and though it's early I have a large tumbler of beam in my left

 

Every so often he sniffles and Lilah and Milo look up from their place in front of the fire and chirrup/purr to let him know they are there.

 

              "Am I such a bad person?"

 

I'm surprised to hear him speak.

 

              "No, of course not, want to sit up?" 

 

He shakes his head but does turn on his back still holding my hand.

 

              "First Mikey now Lindz who else is going to shit on me from a great height?!"

 

              "Nobody, because I won't let them.  The family, your true family, won't let them!"

 

He gives me a small smile and lifts his head so that I can meet him in the middle and kiss him softly and slowly. 

 

              "Thanks for bringing me home."  He sighs sadly.

 

I rest the glass of beam on his chest and he looks up at me.

 

              "Figure if I get drunk I can't drive to the gallery and rip her eyes out."

 

              "Good thinking that man, let's do that."

 

DEB & CARL'S

 

I'm polishing the roller derby trophy that Jenny won.  They were taking turns to keep it for a week and since she scored the most points, effectively winning the game, she would've gone first, but the school wants to have it in the cabinet so she's coming by soon to collect it.

 

Carl comes downstairs with his camera and laptop, he has a lot of pictures to download and Gus said he would help after school so he's setting that up.

 

The sound of a key in the door surprises both of us and Carl goes to open it.  I can hear his sigh from the kitchen.

 

              "Come in Michael."  I call out.

 

              "How'd you know it was me ma and why doesn't my key work anymore?"

 

              "Because we had the locks changed."  Carl replies simply.

 

              "What for?  Oh never mind, can I have my key then and ma I need to talk to you in private."

 

              "No and why can't you discuss this in front of me, Red and I have no secrets."

 

              "What do you mean no?  This is my childhood home!  And..."

 

              "This is my home now and I don't want people being able to come and go as they please.  Now what do you want to talk to your mother about?"

 

              "Ma!  You can't let him do this, after everything I'm going through I thought I would be able to rely on you for support."

 

              "What are you going through that hasn't been your fault?"  Carl asks sharply.

 

              "I was talking to my mother!"

 

              "What are you going through that hasn't been your fault?"  I repeat equally as sharply.

 

              "I was audited last week as you know and it turns out that I owe $23,000 in back taxes and I need your help with that.  I can't afford to pay that back without it impacting Jenny's support and you said that..."

 

Before he could finish his plea, the front door is swung open and Jenny runs in.

 

              "Hi grandpa, grandma...oh hi dad, you missed a great game.  Is it ready?  Miss Leach is outside so I can't stay long."

 

              "Do you need a box or something?"  I ask handing it to her.

 

              "No can take it as is.  Later.  Oh grandpa, Gus said he'll be here about six, will you be in or should he just start without you?"

 

              "I'll be here sweetheart.  Now go."

 

She dashes back out again blowing kisses.

 

              "So my kid gets a key but I don't..."

 

              "You are not that stupid surely?  Of course the kids get a key, they need to be able to get in should they have to!  It makes perfect sense that they have keys to ours, Ben's, the Brownstone and Jen's condo...all our houses.  Like it makes perfect sense that they have a key to your place right?"

 

He crosses his arms across his chest as usual and glowers at me.

 

              "It's not as if she wants to visit."

 

              "It's not as if you make her welcome!"  Carl counters

 

              "Look Michael can you get to the point of your visit?  What help could I possibly give you?"

 

              "You said that you got a check from the IRS I need some of that to help pay my bill as like I said it will impact my support of Jenny..."

 

Before Carl could say explode, I beat him to it.

 

              "You are fucking joking!  No Michael, I, I mean we, will not give or lend you any of OUR retirement fund to help you out!  You just have to do what any normal person would do under the circumstances and get a job to support yourself and cover your bills.  And besides have you appealed the amount?"

 

              "I'm going to."

 

              "Then I suggest you go home do that and look at the want ads!  Now excuse me I have lunch to prepare before my shift.  Oh one more thing how is the restocking of your collectibles going?"

 

              "Oh great!  I have a few bids that..."

 

I stop his enthusiasm by grabbing his elbow and shoving him out of the door that Carl holds open.

 

              "And stop buying toys, you're a grown up start fucking acting like one!  Nobody wants that shit in the family but you!"

 

And I slam the door hard in his face.

 

              "Eggy bread sandwiches are definitely called for!" 

 

I stomp into the kitchen and Carl wisely remains silent, but I do see the slight smile on his face, and I know he's proud of me but not as proud as I am of myself.  I did it, I finally did it I must let Kiki know.

 

BROWNSTONE - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LINDZ

 

I told Sydney I wasn't feeling well so I came home early.  Truth be told I just couldn't bear to listen to the whelp prattle on about how good Justin's show was but at least she's keen on cataloguing so that gets me out of it. 

 

I pour myself a glass of wine and massage my temples as I do have a slight headache.  I'm also hungry so I head to the fridge to see what is available.  I make myself a sandwich and decide to see what Brian is up to.

 

              "Hi Bethany, may I be put through to Brian please.  It's Lindsay Peterson."

 

I wait for a while before Cynthia's crisp tones come over the line to tell me that he's not in today and if I wanted to speak to him best try his cell, before I could say anything else she hangs up on me. 

 

Sighing crossly, I call his cell only to get Justin, who tells me that Brian is not available and he'll call me back when he is, before I can ask when that would be he hangs up.  I was just about to try again when a call from Michael comes through.

 

              "Hi Michael, I've got a bit of a headache so will be going to bed soon.  I should imagine she's in court and that's why she can't speak to you.  Yes I know you've been audited, I'm not being unsympathetic but as I said I have a headache.  Look Michael I really do have to go and lie down, I'll call you later."

 

I hang up on his protests and close my eyes for a little while.

 

When I wake up, I can hear Jenny giggling in the kitchen, she's so engrossed in texting that she doesn't hear me come up behind her.  Whoever she's texting she's pleased to be doing it to someone called Hank.

 

              "And who was that you are texting that has put that smile on your face?"

 

She whirls round and almost drops her phone.

 

              "Um mom, I didn't realise you were home, what are you doing here?" 

 

              "I wasn't feeling well so I came home early, so Hank?"

 

              "Just a friend I made.  No biggie."

 

              "A friend from school?"

 

              "He goes to school just not mine.  Now I've got homework to do."

 

And she dashes upstairs blushing furiously.  I can't wait to tell Mel!

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

              "More!  Please!  More!  Yes, yes, ohmygod, ohmygod yes!  Uh aaaaahhhhh!"

 

I jerk and shudder under him as I come hard.  He thrust twice more and then groans out his release, slumping on my shoulders he pants and shudders slightly pinning me to the sofa where we ended up in front of.

 

              "Stay."  I whimper.  "Please."

 

He drops to his knees pulling me with him causing him to push in deeper.

 

              "Oh!"  I cry out and clench.

 

He gasps and pulls me tighter against him.

 

              "D-do that again."  He stutters

 

I clench and then rock against him slowly building us back up, his hand wraps round my cock and he pumps in time with my rocking, he swallows my moans and cries in his mouth as he pumps my cock faster and flicks his thumb over my slit.

 

              "Ohmygod!"  I scream as my orgasm slams through me

 

              "Justin!  Oh God Justin!" 

 

He growls and holds me still so I can feel every throb, every twitch and the heat of his spunk coating me inside, I collapse onto the sofa and ride out the aftermath.

 

              "Baby you need to get up my knees are killing me."  He mumbles into my ear.

 

I chuckle I pull him up onto his knees, and gently he withdraws and we both collapse on the rug, he pulls me tightly to his chest.

 

              "Alice isn't going to be happy."  I mumble sleepily.

 

              "She never had a chance with me anyway."  He mumbles back.

 

              "No idiot, the sofa..."

 

              "Oh it's okay I put your shirt on and jeans under it."

 

I raise my head and sure enough there they are.

 

              "Brian!"  I smack him in the chest.

 

              "What?  You only come in Armani not on it."

 

BROWNSTONE - LATE EVENING

 

MEL

 

I'm not in the mood to deal with the histrionics that is Michael today so have decided against listening to his messages.  Besides I have been called by Deb who let me know he's been sniffing round and mentioned the support of Jenny.  Great just great another stupid parent to deal with, I wish he didn't still have his rights sometimes. 

 

When I get inside I'm surprised to find Lindz cooking.

 

              "What's going on?"

 

              "What can't I make dinner for my wife without there being an ulterior motive?"

 

              "Yes but..."

 

              "Well then nothing's wrong."

 

              "Okay, I'll be back down in a minute."

 

As I head upstairs, I wonder what the fuck she's up to now.  I change into my sweats and head back downstairs, it's just us girls for dinner.  Gus was helping his grandpa so he would eat there and they would drop him off. 

 

As soon as we've eaten Jenny goes back to her room and immediately she drags me to the lounge with her finger over her lips.

 

              "Lindz what is going on?"

 

              "I think that Jenny has a crush or a boyfriend!"

 

I freeze and manage to pull a surprised expression out of my ass.

 

              "Really!"

 

              "Yes!  I caught her giggling in the kitchen whilst sending a text to someone called Hank and she went as red as a cherry when I asked about him."

 

              "So what did she tell you?" 

 

              "Nothing she dashed upstairs to ‘do her homework' before I could ask anymore"

 

              "Want me to try?" 

 

              "Why you?"  She asks surprised.

 

              "Well you surprised her, maybe when she's calmer she might be more receptive if she doesn't think I know."

 

Never have I been so pleased to be a lawyer and have scored high in my deductive reasoning!

 

              "Okay let me know what she says.  Are you going now?" 

 

              "Hmm maybe later, let her do her homework first."

 

              "Okay.  I can't believe our Honeybun has her first boyfriend or potential boyfriend!"

 

She's practically vibrating, yep way too much time with Michael.

 

BRITIN - WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

It has been a couple of busy days.  After the news from Mel about Lindz and Justin insisting we go home I had a lot to catch up on.  He's been painting up a storm though I think Milo has been getting a little too close to the canvases, judging by the smears on his tail, ears and paws when he comes out sometimes.

 

              "Hi dad!"

 

I was almost up the stairs to the studio when I heard Gus's voice.

 

              "Hey sonny boy what you doing here, everything okay?"

 

I made my way back to him bringing him into a hug.

 

              "Um I want to ask you two things.  One can I stay here tonight..."

 

              "Of course why problems at home?"

 

              "No...but the other thing I need to speak to you about is um, can it wait till after dinner?"

 

              "Sure not a problem let me get changed, do you need papa too?"

 

              "Uh yeah.  I'll be doing my homework then."

 

I nod and take the stairs two at the time to his studio and tap twice, he opens the door and has paint all in his hair and a smear on his nose, pushing him back inside I sweep him into an earth shattering kiss.  He groans and drops his paintbrush and judging by the disgruntled growl it was a bit too close to Milo.

 

His hands wind into my hair and our tongues lazily battle for supremacy.  Finally, it registers that he needs to breathe and I let him go and rest my forehead against his.

 

              "Gus is downstairs, wants to stay here and to talk to us.  You don't think..."

 

              "He is I hadn't realised.  I don't think what...no not at all Mel wouldn't do that.  Let's not jump to conclusions and just go see what our boy wants to talk about okay?"

 

After 10 minutes we both make our way down to the kitchen where Gus has just finished setting the table for dinner, before eating in a comfortable silence. 

 

              "Okay let's go to the lounge and you can tell us what's bugging you."

 

I pointed the way and to steady some obvious nerves on his part, as well as ours, I poured three glasses of beam.

 

              "Don't tell your mothers and drink very slowly.  Now out with it."  I order.

 

Gus sighs heavily and taking a sip takes a steadying breath.

 

              "How did you know what you were?"

 

              "As in..." Justin prompts

 

              "Gay or straight or bisexual how did you know? 

 

              "You just know."

 

              "Even after..."

 

              "After what?"  Justin prompts again.

 

Jesus it is like pulling teeth.

 

              "After you slept with Aunt Daph even after that?  You knew you were gay?"

 

Justin's mouth opened and closed before he cleared his throat.

 

              "Yes even before that, the circumstances of your Aunt Daph and I were entirely different and..."

 

              "Yeah mom said..."

 

              "Your mom said what exactly?"  I could feel Justin radiating anger.

 

              "That Aunt Daph has always had a crush on you and one day you both just gave in."

 

              "Gave in?"  Justin echoed.

 

Gus nodded and took another sip.

 

              "Yeah, it's not like mom and dad, their time had a purpose, you know to conceive me, but I just don't understand sex for sex sake and am even more confused because there's this..."

 

              "Please say boy."  I plead.

 

              "Yes dad, boy I like but he likes a girl and I don't understand how he can like me and like her and think that's okay at the same time if you see what I mean?"

 

              "Well not really Gus..."

 

              "Okay I'm not really making a lot of sense.  But I really like him and he says he likes me but he also likes her and wants to see us at the same time and I'm not feeling that."

 

              "I get it.  You don't want to share?  Have you and this boy done anything?" 

 

I ask warily, hoping if he has he's at least playing safe, he goes bright red and concentrates on the floor.

 

              "No, we've not even kissed.  Let alone done anything else, and when I do anything, I want to do it for the right reasons for me.  Not because he's playing which hole shall I stick my dick in.  So what do I do?"

 

I can't help myself and burst out laughing and although Justin jabbed me in the ribs he hid his smile well.

 

              "Sorry sonny boy, really sorry, but that was funny.  Right okay.  If you are unsure about this boy and his intentions then do nothing."

 

              "Nothing?"  Gus looks astonished.

 

              "You're dad's right do nothing.  Let him make up his mind and then make up yours.  But in the meantime get to know other boys don't just focus on him..."

 

              "Okay thanks, I feel better now.  Though I'm a bit bummed that Jenny had her first date on Sat...oh crap.  Please don't say anything!"

 

              "Cat's out now spill!"  I demand. 

 

He groans and takes another sip, Justin reaches over and take the glass from him dividing the contents between ours.

 

              "I don't know who it is but I overheard them, her and momma, talking on Saturday before she went and I know that Uncle Ben and Steve were riding shotgun..."

 

              "Okay we won't say anything.  Right an hour of TV and then bed okay?"  I ruffle his hair

 

He nods and after kissing us both goodnight he heads upstairs.  Once, he's out of earshot I call Ben.

 

              "So papa, who is this man my niece is dating and do I need my shotgun?"

 

              "Brian!  You promised you wouldn't say anything!"  Justin chides whilst putting Ben on speaker.

 

              "Exactly, I said I wouldn't "say anything" not that I wouldn't ask."

 

              "It's always semantics with you isn't it Brian?  Well it could actually be a problem if a certain someone finds out because it was Hank she had a date with."

 

              "Hank?"  Justin asks.

 

              "As in Cameron?"  I groan.

 

              "The very same."

 

              "Great just great."  I mutter.  "We'll talk later Ben okay?"

 

              "Sure bye."

 

We don't say anything for a while before Justin snuggles up into my lap and I kiss his temple.

 

              "So the next call is to Mel then?  She has to answer three questions, one she needs to find out why Lindz told Gus about me and Daph, two if she knows about Hank Cameron and thirdly..."

 

              "Why the fuck Lindz told Gus that she and I conceived him the old fashioned way as opposed to me jerking off in a cup having watched a conga line in the baths?"  I finishes crossly.

 

              "Ding-ding!"

 

              "Seriously we are spending way too much time with Zee and Faal."