Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

CHAPTER 14 - THE WATERS GET LESS MUDDY

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

              "Yeah let's do bubbles!" 

 

She pours us glasses and smiles at me.

 

              "Now can we please have a look at those gorgeous clothes of yours they've been in bags long enough?!"

 

Ah I see!  Oy vey you ain't playing me a fool to catch wise...no that's not it, must get that phrase from Daph again or even Vince.  But she's right they have to come out. 

 

Whilst I did wear Prada and Louboutin for my first week, they weren't from the collection, apart from the coat from Gucci.  I was advised to let the clothes "settle" in the new environment by Faal - she was not kidding when she said he was a label queen, apparently the wardrobes are climate control to cashmere setting!

 

              "Okay come on, it's been a week and I can finally start wearing them!"  I snort.

 

              "Yes we can."  She murmurs into her glass.

 

We head downstairs and start unzipping bags and after about 2 hours and another bottle of champagne later all the clothes are hung up and the shoes stacked on their shelves.  They are gorgeous I have to admit.  And he's given me advice on how to hang clothing, always hang by designer and then colour from light to dark and start with the tops...from left to right he calls that dressing from the top down...same with the shoes, work and practical at eye level everything else on the upper or lower shelves.  I had to resist the temptation to tell him that I knew how to hang clothes but then saw what he meant, even if I was running late I would be able to grab an outfit in seconds.

 

              "Do you have any idea how much they are worth?"  She asks me.

 

              "Nope." 

 

"What about this trunk?" 

 

I look at where she's pointing and under the dressing table is a trunk, with a joint effort we pull it out and taped to the top of the box is an envelope addressed to me.

 

              "What does it say?"

 

              "Dear Mel, please forgive the "use of the key" but to thank you for making his dream come true I had to give these to you.  Now collection is complete.  Ek het dit sodat jy dit nie sou gee terug! Wees goed vir jouself en altyd lewe jou lewe gelukkig!  Love Faal.  PS: google translate is your friend."

 

I open the box and inside are four briefcases, two from each collection.  Four tote bags and a box of four watches.

 

              "Oh my God."  I just stare at them. 

 

              "Mel..."  Lindz breathed.

 

              "No, I can't I can't accept this, this is too much!"  I decide

 

              "What are you crazy?!"  She gasps. 

 

              "No I'm not crazy.  I'm feeling overwhelmed with this generosity.  I can't.  I need to speak to..."

 

Before I could finish Jenny comes downstairs.

 

              "Hey, I've finally caught up on my homework.  Oh wow that's the entire collection for both?  These are investment pieces and I'm your biggest investment so...oh I love that dress!"

 

She squeals and pulls out a cherry red dress, which whilst stunning in colour is simple in design.  Then pulls out a dark blue jacket with cherry red detailing and some red heels.  Looking round she spots the black boucle coat that I saw Lindz lusting after. 

 

              "There.  Your outfit for Monday." 

 

Spotting the mannequin in the corner, she places the clothes on them reverentially. 

 

              "Perfect.  It's a shame you aren't the same size momma...no actually I think blue heels would be better.  Yes as I was saying, shame you aren't the same size as you could've shared this wardrobe momma.  Oh yes that's better.  Blue heels.  Oh what's in there?"

 

She hunkers down next to me and grabs a bag.

 

              "Ooh monogrammed!"  She coos.

 

              "What!"  Lindz and I gasp.

 

              "Who're they from?"  She's bouncing on her heels as I mutely hand her the note.

 

              "Uncle Faal!  Oh wait.  And the watches are engraved.  Let me get my phone!" 

 

She cries out dashing upstairs and within seconds she's back.

 

              "Okay, he says ‘I made it so you could not give them back!  Be good to yourself and always live your life happy!'  He said that to papa, to live his life happy and now he is.  I love being a big sister."

 

Lindz had been very quiet during this exchange casting looks between the wardrobes.

 

              "Momma you okay?" 

 

Lindz smiles brightly, a little too brightly, what else is going on in that head of hers.

 

              "Right time for us to head up..."  She declares and heads upstairs swiftly.

 

Jenny and I exchange glances but just before I go to leave Jenny calls me back.

 

              "Mom, there's another note.  It says, sommige deure moet slotte op, bel my...some doors need locks on call me.  What does that mean?"

 

I chuckle as I remember what Zee said.

 

              "Nothing you need worry about."

 

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

GUS

 

Well so much for working on the car.  I woke early hoping to go over to the lockup but overnight it snowed heavily and so that's the end of that.  The roads are bad but since the sun has now come out it's slowly melting it, we should be able to go to the either Britin or the Treehouse tomorrow as long as it doesn't snow again.  Jenny has been playing dress up in the basement, though she would kill me if I said that out loud.  She found a rack and has been laying out clothes for the week for momma.  

 

I haven't seen dad or papa since I started back at school but have spoken to them almost every day.  Dad's in Chicago with Leo and if it snows again he might be stuck there.  Papa has been sorting out the paintings for his show, I'm not sure when it will be now the Fienman Gallery went up.  I bet Mom can't wait because when he's ready it will most likely be mom and the Bloom Gallery doing it.

 

Aunt Zee and Auntie Em will be catering it, it will be their first one and Uncle Faal is pouting because they won't tell him about the food, arguing that there is no point telling him if the menu is going to change and he ends up disappointed.

 

              "Hey Gus what you doing?"  Momma asks.

 

              "Hoping it doesn't snow again.  I really wanted to work on the car today."  I sigh in frustration.

 

She smiles at me and looks round.

 

              "I know sweetheart but it would be far too cold, even though you would be moving about a lot.  Besides doesn't Ben have Taylor this weekend whilst Steve is at that conference?"

 

              "Shi...I mean crap, had forgotten about that."

 

I plop down on the window seat and sigh, momma frowns at me and tugs me into the lounge.

 

              "At the risk of sounding like your father...spill."

 

              "I just wanted to work on the car so they...nothing."  I clam up quickly.

 

              "So they what Gus?"  She prods gently.

 

              "So that it can be ready in time for their wedding, I want them to use it as their wedding car.  See this is what it is going to hopefully look like."

 

I show her the picture and she whistles and kisses me on my cheek.

 

              "You're growing into a fine man...is this a secret?" 

 

              "Well Uncle Ben, grandpa and J know but that's it.  Don't tell anyone else please!"  I beg.

 

              "Secrets safe with me sweetheart..."

 

              "What secret?  We shouldn't have secrets in this family."  Lindz pants as she comes in to the lounge.

 

MEL

 

              "Where have you been?" 

 

I ask taking in her exercise gear and have to tamp down my laughter.

 

              "Jogging, I have decided to get fit after the excesses over Christmas and New Year.  So what's this about secrets?"

 

              "Gus's present to his fathers.  That's all I'm saying."  I wink at Gus and he beams back at me.

 

              "Gus you know I won't tell your dad anything you don't want me to..."  She wheedles

 

              "Nope not telling sorry mom.  If you had only been here a bit earlier you could've known but alas..."

 

And with that Gus heads to his room, most likely to google parts.  I head to the kitchen and get some coffee and Lindz follows.

 

              "Mel..."

 

              "Not telling you Lindz so don't even try.  So how was your run?"  I smile at her over my mug.

 

              "Cold but oh so worth it, I'm determined to achieve my goal."  She smiles.   "But right now I'm going to have a shower.  Whatever you are making for lunch, can you make it a light one for me?" 

 

She looks back at me and then heads upstairs.  Once she's out of sight and hearing I pick up the phone.

 

              "Hey Emmy Lou.  How are you doing?  I just wanted to say how glad I am that you and Lindz have made up, she said that you just needed to cool down before...oh.  She did.  No you have to tell me word for word exactly what she said."

 

When I finished speaking to him I am seething, why couldn't she just say that she grovelled for his forgiveness, why would it have been so hard for her just to say that? 

 

Whilst contemplating that I had a sudden thought and looked through my emails and found who I was looking for.

 

              "Hi Francine, its Mel.  How are you?  Look I know that Emily won't be back yet from...she's there, oh um can I speak to her then?"

 

I waited my fear and anger mounting.

 

              "Hi Emily, how was your break.  Ah I thought as much, look are you available for a catch up some time this week.  I need to speak to you about...yeah about that.  You can, okay Thursday that's great."

 

I drop my head into my hands and sigh.  What the hell are you up to Lindz, why are you lying so much?

 

Much to Gus's disappointment it snowed again so everyone was in their own homes.  Justin was upset because Brian got stuck in Chicago and wouldn't be back until at least Monday evening and was in need of a stress reliever.  I was going stir crazy as Lindz was super chipper and looking forward to starting work.  I had to fight the temptation to call Sydney to double check that she wasn't lying about that too. 

 

However, the one thing I managed to do was text Faal and he told me how the codes work on the wardrobes and shelving units.  I know exactly where this sudden fixation with getting healthy is going and she can fuck right off with that!

 

TUESDAY EARLY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I hate the fucking snow.  I hate it with a passion!  I'm tired, my hand is cramping up and I have a headache, which I just know is going to turn into a migraine.  I'm lying in bed, the room is cold as the fire needs more wood, I'm trying to stave off said migraine and missing Brian badly and now I want to cry. 

 

Finally I start to drift into a fitful sleep, when I wake up about an hour later I feel even more tired and desperately want a bath but instead I head downstairs to get some firewood and maybe something to eat. 

 

The house feels so weird with nobody but me and the furballs in here, the weekend was for shit as nobody could get around because of the fucking snow, have I mentioned I hate the fucking snow.

 

I try and ease the cramping in my hand and of course that reminds me that Brian isn't here to work his magic as he's fucking stuck in Chi-fucking-cago and I can feel my anxiety rising and despite trying to do my breathing exercises I'm sobbing. 

 

Just sitting on the floor in the mud room sobbing and trying to ease the cramp.  I just want to hear his voice to calm me down and I'll be fine once I hear his voice, blindly I reach up for the phone on the counter and manage to call him.

 

              "Hey Sunshine..."

 

"B-Brian..."  I whimper

 

"Hey, baby, what's wrong?"

 

              "H-hate the snow.  H-h-hand cramping.  M-missing you.  S-sh-shit weekend.  H-hate the snow and the show is...is...and...and..."

 

I start to cry harder and end up hiccupping as I'm so stressed out. 

 

I feel a soft touch at my elbow, warm fur round my feet and a soft sound, looking through my tears, I see Lilah and Milo, who has suddenly started to warm to us, staring at me, Lilah taps me on the elbow again and I drop the phone, pull her into my chest and sob into her fur. 

 

              "Justin!  Justin baby where are you?!"  I can hear Brian yelling but I can't speak

 

Finally, I pick up the phone and clear my throat.

 

              "I'm sorry I ju-just wanted to hear your voice, wa-was so lonely.  I'm in the mud room trying to get wood for the fire and maybe get..."

 

Before I could finish the door to the mud room is flung open and we are engulfed in a fierce embrace.  Lilah mewls in protest and I hear Milo skittering away.

 

              "Ooops sorry Lilah." 

 

She is taken from my arms and I am embraced again. 

 

              "Baby where are your shoes?  Where's Alice?  How long have you been in here?"

 

A slew of questions are fired at me and in my emotional state I didn't realise that Brian is home.

 

              "B-Brian?"

 

              "Yeah, come on up here."  He mumbles.

 

I climb up his body and wrap my legs round his waist burying my head in his neck.  As he carries me out of the room, I hear Vince saying something about Alice and Brian saying thanks to him.  I'm not sure how much time passed but when I raise my head from his chest, he's massaging my hand gently and I seem to have acquired socks and a blanket and the fire in the lounge is blazing.

 

              "Feel better?"

 

              "You are never going to Chi-fucking-cago in winter again."  I mutter crossly.

 

His laughter rumbles in his chest. 

 

              "How long have I been asleep?" 

 

              "A couple of hours and as well as me, you'll find that Alice, George and Vince are mad at you."

 

I scrunch up my nose.

 

              "Why what did I do?"

 

              "It's more what you didn't do!  Next time Brian goes away and there's nobody but you here, either get us to stay or come to the cottage, if we had known you were so...Justin are we clear on this?" 

 

Alice puts down a hot chocolate and gives me the look and I nod sheepishly and sit up resting my back against his warm comforting chest.

 

              "I just thought with the..."

 

              "I said are we clear on this?"  Her eyes are blazing and I just nod again.

 

              "Good."

 

She turns heel and walks out muttering about prideful people and how some need a good spanking for being for being so damn foolish.

 

              "She's right you know.  You do deserve a spanking, but not today, at some point just not today.  Now drink this and then you are going to have a nice bath and tell me what's bugging you about the show okay?"

 

I nod and take a grateful sip of chocolate.

 

              "Well..."

 

              "Hot chocolate, bath then show talk...or that spanking happens now and I'll allow Alice to watch..."

 

I blink at him to see if he's kidding...he raises one eyebrow and taps the mug...he's not kidding.

 

WEDNESDAY LATE MORNING

 

SYDNEY BLOOM GALLERY

 

SYDNEY

 

It's good to have Lyndsay back in some respects, she knows the way I work and knows her artists but that is also to the detriment of the gallery, she seems to be living on past glories and we need to get with the times, as I believe the phrase is these days. 

 

It was a shame about the Fienman Gallery, I like James he's a good man.  It will be shut until mid-February and according to the word on the street, there wasn't that much damage to the paintings, luckily the ceiling coming down tamped the fire down considerably. 

 

It's a shame about Justin's show, but thank goodness his works weren't in there or that would've been the end of James.  But on the plus side the other shows that were on either side of Justin's although not as prestigious are going to be held here, which reminds me I must tell Lindsay about that, she's going to be busy almost every night that week.

 

The door opening heralds the arrival of the lady herself.

 

              "Ah Lindsay, how did you your estate visit go?" 

 

She comes blustering in shaking off the raindrops.

 

              "Oh there was nothing much there.  I will be going to the Frick later in the week though."

 

              "The Frick okay, but what about the cataloguing of the paintings, you said you would get those done this week too." 

 

I look over my glasses at her and see her face darken slightly.

 

              "And I will, but not today, Sydney I have to..."

 

              "Actually Lindsay I would like them done today, by the end of the day, please see that it is done.  Thank you."

 

I'm bristling as I head back to my office this is the second time I have had to remind her about the cataloguing.

 

LINDZ

 

Cataloguing he expects me to do cataloguing!  Well that's what junior staff are for.  I have an Art History Major and don't do basements!

 

              "Martha, excuse me Martha."  I call out.

 

When nobody replies I go to see where the rest of his, alleged staff are, and what greets me annoys me immensely.

 

              "Excuse me what exactly are you doing Martha?"

 

              "Hanging the Mayer.  And my name is Martine"

 

              "Well Martine, is that part of your remit?"  I demand as she continues her task.

 

              "No but..."

 

              "Exactly, it's not.  I am the gallery manager and after Sydney I assign tasks and you are to go and do the cataloguing in the basement, whilst I do what I do best."

 

She puts the painting carefully down and after rolling her eyes at me heads to the basement.

 

Ten minutes later I am sipping a cup of tea and reading an article on the French artists Auzou and Gerard when Sydney came out and stopped in front of my desk.

 

              "Where's Martine?" 

 

              "Who?  Oh she's cataloguing.  Did you know she had the nerve to try and hang the Mayer, I said I would do it."

 

              "And yet it has not been done...Lindsay, you know you are supposed to be mentoring Martine?"

 

              "Yes but she's so young and..."

 

              "And keen to learn.  So go and help her with the cataloguing so that she can learn from your vast pool of knowledge."

 

He smiles tightly at me and waits for me to put down the article and head to the basement.

 

              "I will deal with any customers that come in, it is, after all my gallery." 

 

              "Of course Sydney."  I return his smile and head downstairs.

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

One of the advantages of having an accountant is that they deal with this shit for you but one of the disadvantages is that it costs you to deal with them.  I've just had to pay out $4,000 to my bastard ex-accountant but at least that's the last I will hear from him.  I grab my coffee and settle down to do my accounting.

 

              "That can't be right?"  I mutter looking at the spreadsheet.  "So $50K to that bastard, $17K for the Captain, $5K for the food, $2.9K for the restorers, $4K for the accountants, hotel was $1.5K, year's rent is $12K, attorney was $15K, server fee $1K, collectibles were $6K for last week but I have to factor in the ones I am bidding on so that's another $4K, support payments for the rest of the year as long as they don't go up are $12K, and the fucking loan repayments are $1K per month so that leaves me with $7,600."

 

I sit back and stare at the spreadsheet and redo the numbers.  Holy fuck!  Oh wait I can halve the support payments as Ben is paying his share still so that leaves me with $13,600, which is much better.  I breathe easier, though would still prefer not to pay the loan repayments, or at least have a reduced payment and owe them longer, yes that's what I'm going to do, Justin will still get his fucking money back just, like Ben with the divorce, in my time not his.

 

I decide to check on my biddings and one has been accepted.  With that happy thought in mind I logon to my bank account and reduce the monthly payment to Boy Wonder by half.

 

GEOMETRY CLASS

 

JENNY

 

I love her!  I love her!  I called Aunt Daph and explained the liking Hank thing and she said just to send a short text saying something like ‘hi how you doing and here's my email address' and see what happens.  I made myself put my phone in my bag right at the bottom as I didn't want to get it confiscated, but I can feel it vibrating.  I'm wishing for time travel so I can check it between classes, it won't be him of course, as it will be one of my friends wanting to go to the mall or something.  Right, note to self...I must not get my hopes up about this.

 

CHASE HAROLD AND DRAPER - LATE MORNING

 

MEL

 

Yes!  Fox Williams agreed to settle and pay all fees.  I'm twerking up a storm and didn't hear the door open when a familiar giggle interrupts me.  Hanging my head I turn embarrassed to find Zee cocking her head to one side grinning.

 

              "Twerking in Prada loafers is that a thing in attorney circles?" 

 

              "Shit!  Please tell me you weren't filming that?"

 

She grins and shakes her head.

 

              "Was doing a bit of business for the company and heard something about Melanie Marcus kicking ass and taking names...so thought you might want to do some lunch?  But if you would rather twerk you carry on..."

 

I poke my tongue out at her and grab my tote.

 

              "Ellen, do I have anything this afternoon that can't wait until tomorrow or the rest of the week?"

 

              "No Mel, I can shift things around.  Oh and a little tip, next time you want to do your happy dance make sure the blinds are down."

 

Zee bursts out laughing and I shove her out the door.

 

              "So where are we going?"  I ask.

 

She cocks out an elbow and we link arms.

 

              "What do you want to eat?  I fancy something really low down and dirty that involves a bib!  It's Faal's birthday soon and I want to take him somewhere we can get dirty eating and then well Brietling!" 

 

              "Oh I know!  Meat and Potatoes!  We might not be able to get in there now but maybe get Ellen to make a reservation for later and in the mean time we can have a drink or maybe a bit of shopping...just window mind you."

 

              "Done.  Get calling!"

 

I make the call to Ellen and we head to the stores, five minutes later she calls to say that we have a table for two so that gives us an hour or so of window shopping.

 

              "So Leda?"  She asks suddenly.

 

              "Wow that took you a while."  I murmur.  "Baren mir!  I had forgotten about this street and its fucking wind tunnel, why are we going down here!" I shriek as the wind rips through us.

 

              "We're not!  And was that Yiddish for ‘fuck me'?"

 

She asks as she pulls us back round the corner.

 

              "Yes it was.  So what do you want to know?" 

 

              "Threeway."

 

              "Oh she didn't tell you about that?  And anyway how do you know her?"

 

              "Ooh let's go in here.  I need to get out of the fucking cold!  She and Faal bonded over a love of motorbikes.  And quit stalling missie!" 

 

She drags me into a nearby bar and we grab a booth near the back, we order some warming whiskies and she locks gazes with me and waits.

 

              "Lesbian bed death."

 

I go on to explain how the guys were teasing us about it and how it led to first the fleapit hotel where we ended up watching the cooking channel and then that night.

 

              "Would you ever go back to her?"  She asks studying me carefully.

 

              "A hunt keynmol kert tsu zayn brekhn as my mother would say..."

 

              "You're not a dog and she's not vomit."  She cuts in swiftly.

 

              "I can't go back I can only go forward."  I sigh.

 

              "Or stay still.  Look if you are going to go forward then go forward with all information.  She came back to see you, after you moved to Toronto, she came back."

 

              "She did?"  I gasp.

 

              "Mel, like my son and Faal, I never lie, I may couch and soften but I never lie.  I'm not, nor would I ever condone an affair but she gets that smile...yep that one when she talks about you...and she won't mess with what you've got now but if you don't have it..."

 

I sit back and absorb this new information, which reminds me.

 

              "Oh, I'm meeting Emily, from the party, tomorrow evening to find out about this baby thing..."

 

She grimaces slightly and indicates two more whiskies before looking thoughtfully across the bar.

 

              "Something Faal said in his ramblings is niggling.  And the last time that happened Michael tried to sue Alice.  Let me think on and get back to you after you tell me about the meeting with Emily.  Drink up we have down and dirty eating to do!"

 

We head to Meat and Potatoes and end up taking a doggy bag home for the kids and Lindz, they serve big portions there and I'm not going to help her get into my wardrobe.  She books a table for Faal's birthday and we head home, I giggle as we slide into the car.

 

              "Why the hell were we walking if you had the service trailing us?" 

 

              "Because I wanted whisky and the car couldn't go down that street."

 

              "You're something else Zee."

 

              "Oh doll, you have no idea."

 

THURSDAY MORNING

 

KINNETIC

 

TED

 

Surely Michael can't be this stupid!  I head to Brian's office, he had two days off to rest after the nightmare Chicago trip, which meant he was barking orders from home instead of his office.

 

I knock and wait for his terse enter.

 

              "Theodore to what do I owe this pleasure?" 

 

              "I wouldn't call dealing with the stupidity that is Michael a pleasure..."

 

              "He's not made a payment?"

 

              "Yes but half of what he should do."  I take a seat and rub my temples sighing.

 

              "Why is it he can't just follow through with one fucking thing?"  He growls.

 

              "It wouldn't be so bad if he had just said ‘guys can I reduce the payments' but he just does it and expect us to accept it."  I grouse

 

I take in Brian's countenance.

 

              "No absolutely not, I won't allow you to let him off this Brian!"  I tell him firmly.  "If you do this, Justin will never forgive you.  Understand maybe, forgive no.  He has to learn and if it takes breaking him to do so then so be it.  Do you really think if it was the other way round he would be as forgiving?  He came after Alice for crying out loud, even after whatever he was going to say about your dad and the stuff he said about Hunter and Justin and the way he's been about the divorce and Stuart told me that he wanted the money from the Wonder Woman doll to be paid directly to him instead of Jenny when she sold it...do you think she would've seen it after that.  And..."

 

              "Ted, you can stop with the pep talk now, do what you need to do to make him learn but be prepared for stupid and nasty it's a bad combination."

 

              "I can handle this on my own, you will back me no matter what you give me your word?"

 

              "My word, Ted I promise." 

 

I see the sadness in his eyes but also the steely resolve.

 

              "Good."

 

I head back to my office and put in a call to his former accountants.

 

MATH CLASS

 

JENNY

 

As I thought it was one of my friends talking about going to the mall.  At least all we did was kiss.  God I hate algebra but there's a test next week so let's concentrate on that instead of my non-love-life!

 

SPEAKEASY - EARLY EVENING

 

EMILY

 

              "Hi, reservation for Melanie Marcus?"

 

              "Ah yes, you're the first one here, please follow me." 

 

The Hostess leads me to a secluded table and I order a glass of white and wait.  I didn't have to wait long before Mel comes rushing through, apologising profusely for being late.

 

              "Case overran and then I had to do the notes, I'm sorry." 

 

              "Honest it's fine, I haven't been waiting long." 

 

Mel signals the waiter and orders a glass of red, when it arrives she sighs contentedly and settles back in the seat.

 

              "So the baby thing huh?"  I prompt.

 

              "Yeah the baby thing?  Explain to me how this came about, oh do you want to order first?"

 

We order our bar snacks and I take a deep breath.

 

              "Okay, so it was almost 18 years ago but I remember it clear as day.  Francine and I wanted to have a baby, but, I'm not sure if you know she can't carry.  My fertility record isn't great but anyway.  I was bemoaning my fate to Lindsay and she was sympathetic.  Long story short she ended up telling me about her close friend that was absolutely gorgeous and fantastic in bed...oh sorry..."

 

She waves that away and motions for me to continue.

 

              "By that time she was in an established relationship with you and when I said I wanted to have a baby she said she would talk to her friend...and I said there was this guy I wanted to get to know to see if he would be receptive to the idea, I would pay him for it and everything..."

 

              "And his name was Brian Kinney?"  She asks.

 

              "Yeah.  So she volunteered to speak to him but after a few months she said that he wasn't willing to do it.  Then a few months later I find out that she was pregnant by none other than Brian Kinney and I was devastated.  She told me that he said that the only person he would consider having a kid with was her.  And even worse at the party he didn't even recognise me...and to see her son and daughter with him..."

 

              "No just the son, Jenny's mine with Brian's former best friend..."

 

              "So there you have it, why I'm so bitter sometimes."

 

              "Wow... es s epes kalye in di milkh mit ir."  Mel murmurs.

 

              "Pardon?"

 

              "There's something wrong in the milk with her.  It means..."

 

I wave off her explanation, I know exactly what she means.

 

              "Thanks Emily, I know that must have been difficult for you."

 

I look at her closely, she looks like she wants to cry, scream, shout and break something all at the same time.

 

              "Not as difficult as it was for you to hear I think."

 

She waves the waiter over for another drink and nods.

 

              "But I'm from old Jewish stock, we bend but we never break...never break...actually want to hear the story about Lindsay's unfortunate party.  Promise this stays between you and me..."

 

MEL

 

As I make my way home I think about what Emily has told me and realise what a...to quote George...nasty ass broad Lindsay is, she deliberately sabotaged her one attempt at motherhood so she could be the only one that had Brian's baby.  I take a breath and think what else has she done?

 

TREEHOUSE - SUNDAY LUNCHTIME

 

FAAL

 

              "As your husband I have certain rights you know?" 

 

I'm on dangerous territory with this approach but I just want to have a look at the menu before anybody else does.  Justin has said that he has news about his show and wants to tell the family over lunch.

 

              "You do?"

 

              "Yes." 

 

              "And what would they be?"

 

              "To not have secrets between husband and wife especially of an epicurean nature...please liefling please, just one dish."

 

              "Pressed pork belly mille feuille and no more questions or I will get Justin to uninvite you."

 

I'm stunned and open and then close my mouth.  I need Emmy Lou here right now!  And the Gods have answered my prayers, before he can call out for bubbles I drag him into the office.

 

              "Faal, what the hell is wrong with you?!"  He demands trying and failing to shake off my hand.

 

              "Pressed pork belly mille feuille.  Tell me this is true and she is not teasing me!"

 

He grins that goofy smile of his.

 

              "It's true and I couldn't believe it when it finally came together, it is heavenly.  And that's not even the best dish, now can I go for my bubbles?"

 

I groan and let him out and follow him sulkily, scowling at the grin on her face, she cocked her head in Justin's direction and he looks as miserable as I do.

 

              "Wouldn't tell you either?"  I ask him.

 

              "She gave me one dish.  Pressed pork..."

 

              "Yeah me too and according to Emmy Lou that's not the best dish!  I think this catering thing is a bad idea if it leads to secrets between us."

 

Finally, everyone is here, except Michael thank goodness, we head to the dining room and settle down to a Mexican/Spanish feast of tacos, paella, grilled prawns and beef cheek sliders all served family style.  There is free flowing cava and margaritas and for dessert churros with spiced chocolate dipping sauce.

 

              "Justin are you okay?"  Steve asks

 

              "Huh?"

 

              "You seem a little um uncomfortable."  He continues.

 

I had noticed the same thing too.

 

              "He got taught how not to be prideful and damn foolish, as you suggested Alice."  Brian smiled.

 

              "He did?  Oh I see and I hope he learned that lesson well."  She replied with a smirk.

 

Justin just blushed to the roof of his skull, whilst we exchanged bemused glances.

 

JUSTIN

 

I hate Brian at the moment, he had to do the spanking in the car on the way here, why not last night when it could've faded a little!  I wondered why he wanted a separate car for us.  I'm making my announcement now and then sticking my ass in the freezer!

 

              "If I can have your attention please!"  I call out tapping the glass.

 

The room goes silent.

 

              "As you know the Fienman Gallery was seriously damaged..."

 

              "Oh do you have a new date?"  Lindz interrupts.

 

              "No I wanted to stick with the same date for the press and other patrons.  It's going to be held at the Uptown Gallery and it will be co-hosted by the Trainee Curator one Hunter Bruckner with catering by Zee and Emmy Lou...and now can I see the menu!"

 

Everyone turns to look at Hunter.

 

              "Oh my God, it's your first hosting show son!  I'm so proud of you!" 

 

Ben rushes round to embrace Hunter who grins hugely and gets another hug from Steve and then Matt.  Gus and Jenny rush to beg to be waiters for the night but that idea is swiftly quashed by me as I want them to be guests and enjoy themselves, it's going to be bad enough with three members of the family working.

 

Everyone is asking him questions, from timings to dress code and I think he's feeling a little overwhelmed and looks helplessly in our direction.

 

              "I'm sure there will be a programme that will answer every question you have, now let's leave him be he's going to be worried enough having to speak to all those patrons..." 

 

Brian waggles his eyebrows and rolls his lips in, Hunter throws a scowl his way.

 

              "Why didn't you tell me best friend here?"  Gus gripes good-naturedly.

 

              "Only settled on all the paintings this week and..."

 

              "Why wasn't the Bloom Gallery considered?"  Lindz's tone cuts through like a laser.  "And what qualifications does Hunter have to host such an event?"

 

              "The Bloom Gallery couldn't do the dates I wanted.  Sydney was the first person I called, but because of what happened to Fienman the other shows for that week had to be moved to Bloom and he couldn't fit me in...it's a shame that you'll miss my show but it can't be helped.  And as for Hunter's qualifications he is being trained by Lydia Glendale, one of the best curators in the Pitts and she's hosting it with him."

 

              "Lydia Glen...wait what do you mean miss your show I don't understand?"

 

              "Oh.  Um you might need to speak to Sydney."  I look sheepishly at her.

 

              "Excuse me a moment."  She leaves the table taking her phone with her.

 

LINDZ

 

I tap my foot impatiently and wait for Sydney to finally pick up.

 

              "Sydney it's Lindz.  I'm fine and you.  I've just heard some interesting news.  Apparently, we've taken on three shows the same week as Justin's show...oh we have.  It's just...yes I know that Sydney it's just that I had wanted to go to Justin's show, to offer my support you know.  Yes, I'm aware that he's already established I'm the one that got him to New York and I know we have to support upcoming artists it's just...okay we will discuss this tomorrow.  Enjoy the rest of your evening."

 

I head back to the dining room where everyone is still chattering about how great Hunter is going to be.  I paste on a smile and retake my seat.  Sydney wants me to mentor Martine or whatever her name is, then I will!

 

JENNY

 

Whilst I'm pleased for Hunter I can't help but think it would've been nice to speak to Hank.  Aunt Daph said there could be a perfectly good reason that he didn't contact me.  I can't think of one.  My phone vibrates with a text message and I almost choke on my churros!

 

              "Excuse me for a minute!"  I squeak and dash from the table.

 

I read the message three times and send it to Aunt Daph, call her and tell her to read it and she calls me straight back.

 

              "So!"

 

              "So what Jenny?"

 

              "He's said he emailed me but I can't see anything from him, he must be lying." 

 

              "Have you checked your junk mail folder?"

 

I bite my lip and groan.

 

              "Check your junk mail folder, I'll hold." 

 

And there they are, 3 emails from him.  Oh my God 3 emails from him! 

 

              "They were in there.  In the junk mail.  Now what do I do?  Aunt Daph stop laughing and help!"

 

              "How about you leave your Aunt Daph to study and just reply to the text saying that where his emails ended up and you will email him later.  Do that now and come back to the table okay?" 

 

Mom is smiling at me and waits, I hang up on Aunt Daph and quickly send a text, he immediately replies with look forward to it.  I cast a beseeching look at her.

 

              "Yes I'll help you write the email and no I won't tell you momma or your dad but maybe you should tell your papa."

 

I nod and head back inside with her with the biggest smile on my face ever!